Top 100 Airlines

Bulgaria Air

"crew was friendly"

(Bulgaria)

Verified Review | I flew Bulgaria Air economy class from Varna to Sofia on an A319. Overall the flight was good. The food was okay, the crew was friendly. The plane wasn't full, so most of the passengers had three seats only for themselves, and the seat was comfortable.
RouteVAR to SOF
Date FlownApril 2016

"trip itself was very nice"

Verified Review | My trip to Sofia on the 19th of December went very well, from the staff to the good trip and beverages. However the plane does not have any IFE which is a pity because we could use one of them to watch movies and play games. Bulgaria Air does offer their SkyMagazine that was very nice. The staff at the arrival however were not nice and were very impatient and angry. I think the trip itself was very nice just some little things that could make it better
RouteCDG to SOF
Date FlownDecember 2015

"the skis were refused"

We booked a ski vacation to Bulgaria and during the online booking at the official Bulgaria Air website we specifically ckecked the box indicating we would bring skis with us. On the way from Amsterdam to Sofia there was no problem to check in our skis. On the way back from Sofia however the skis were refused. We needed a special document and had to pay an additional €30 - which we could obtain somewhere at the airport. If we would have followed that procedure we would have missed our flight (huge lines for check-in which costed us already 40 minutes) so we decided to leave the skis behind at the airport. It is amazing how they treat their customers. Complaining is useless, they just keep on repeating their mantra of rules. Ridiculous that ckecking in skis in Amsterdam is no problem but on the way back they are simply refused. Don't fly this airline if you want to bring something special or want be treated as a human being.
AircraftEmbraer
RouteSOF to AMS
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"they use modern planes"

We booked the flight with Bulgaria Air because it was 50% less than Austrian Airlines, however, we were surprised by the fact that they use modern planes (the Embraer 90 was built in 2012), given some food (Sandwich, Chocolate, a bottle of water on the seat and one additional drink during the flight) and by the friendly cabin. The announcements by the crew were in Bulgarian and English and the English from the cabin crew and pilot was quite good.
AircraftEmbraer 90
RouteSOF to VIE
Date FlownDecember 2015

"how miserable flight attendants were"

(Bulgaria)

Flew from Sofia to LHR with Bulgaria Air. This route is served by Easyjet, Wizz, British Airways and Bulgaria Air. Having tried the rest this company is by far the worst of the lot. Check in attendants were pleasant and efficient. The gate however was from 6 which means that you wait downstairs for boarding where there is no wifi. We were bussed out to a rather dated and tatty A320. The seats and interior desperate for a refit. No briefings were given on use of emergency exit doors. There was no cross checking of doors being properly locked. and no greeting on arrival. We taxied out behind British Airways that departs at the same time. The announcements were not audible due to poor pa system and very poor English. Once airborne the Flight attendants proceeded with the food service. One roll which was out of date, and could have been used as a tennis ball. And one piece of chocolate. The food was literally chucked at you. I was offered wine which was terrible. No entertainment at all. The main thing that stuck with me however was how miserable the flight attendants were, they were not only rude, but just didn't smile the entire time. When I compare this airline with British Airways, who operate on the same route and serve a proper meal, with decent wine, and nice friendly flight attendants. Even Wizz and Easyjet are better than this miserable bunch.
RouteSOF to LHR
Date FlownNovember 2015

"suitcase was left in Rome"

(Bulgaria)

My suitcase was left in Rome by Bulgaria Air. When I asked about how to get it to Sofia, I was informed it was not their fault and I needed to call them to find out when my suitcase was in Sofia. The phone number I received was never answered, and nobody answered my e-mails. I went back to the airport and I was told, rudely, that it was not their fault and they would bring my suitcase home. My suitcase arrived from Rome but was never delivered to my address and nobody called me with information. Next day, I drove again to the airport after trying to reach them by e-mail and phone, receiving no answer. My suitcase was there but I had to prove, through many documents, who I was. All this in a very rude manner, as if I was interrupting their work and was asking for something extraordinary. The whole time I was treated as if I had no right to ask for my suitcase.
RouteRome to Sofia
Date FlownOctober 2015

"would fly with them again"

The staff at the Bulgaria Air office in Sofia, at the airport and onboard the flight were very helpful and friendly. The cabin service was excellent. My wife is a bit scared of flying and the flight was very smooth and well managed. I would fly with them again.
RouteSofia to London
Date FlownOctober 2015

Bulgaria Air customer review

Flew last week from Vienna to Sofia in Economy and was a lot more satisfied than last time - the aircraft was cleaner and better maintained, cabin crew were a lot more attentive, and the catering has slightly improved (the sandwich accompanied by the chocolate). On-time departure and landing. The cost of a one-way ticket was €130, which I found perfect! The plane was fully booked in Economy, whereas Business class was almost empty.
RouteVienna to Sofia

(Bulgaria)

I fly Bulgaria Air frequently due to the fact that they are without competition on many routes from Sofia. I do not agree with many of the utterly negative opinions about Bulgaria Air. For the 50 something flights I have had with them in the last year, there were no major delays. I last flew on the internal flight VAR-SOF-VAR. The aircraft was one of their new Embraers. However, it did surprisingly look worn out. Boarding started with a delay of twenty minutes, yet we landed on time in Varna. The crew was, as per the general rule in Bulgaria Air, surly. It seemed that the best I could get from them was ignorance. Service was adequate - a chocolate bar and a soft drink. The flight was completely booked so it was amazing how three flight attendants distributed drinks and snacks to 100 people within twenty minutes. The seat comfort was quite ok and I am really not a small man. The best part of the flight was the captain who gave a very entertaining announcement during the flight. All in all, a very decent airline - not the best but not the worst. I would recommend them again.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteSOF to VAR

Bulgaria Air customer review

The flight arrived in Paris with enough time for passengers to disembark and catch connecting flights. But the wrong stairs were brought over to the plane delaying us 20 minutes and allowing staff from Bulgaria Air to arrive with signs telling us our connecting flight was delayed. I checked the flight status on line and saw that this was not true but the bus we were loaded on had already taken us out of the terminal and over to a hotel zone. There was no further communication from Bulgaria Air about rebooking the flight. When I came back to the airport the next day the staff gave me a call center # to get rebooking info packed their things and walked off. I finally got back to USA but my checked luggage is still missing.
RouteSofia to Paris