Top 100 Airports

Brussels Airlines

"certainly no value for money"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | I flew the Brussels Vienna route several times recently and always travelled with a Flex&Fast ticket. Advantages of the Flex&Fast ticket is bookings can be changed which I may have to do as I fly for business purposes and duration of my trips is often uncertain. Price paid for Flex&Fast is always premium (high). Apart of the flexibility Flex&Fast also allows Fast Lane Access in Brussels and Vienna which is nice. Also travelling in Flex&Fast you have priority boarding but both in Brussels and Vienna it happened several times transport to the plane is by bus so the only benefit you get then is you get on the bus first. A meal is included as well but having flown this route frequently the meal (a salad in a plastic box) always has been about the most horrible food I ever got served on an airline. I see several other passengers just like me open the box, take one bite and they are finished then. As a compensation usually the crews are enthusiastic and joyful. Flights are more or less on time though I already had a couple of delays of almost one hour in Brussels due to so called heavy traffic. Given the price paid certainly no value for money.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBRU to VIE
Date FlownAugust 2016

"still no response for our claim"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | Budapest to New York via Brussels. There was a ground staff strike during our trip in Brussels Zaventem Airport, so we had to sit 3 hours on the plane before take off waiting for the luggage load. After 3 hours the staff told us that they only loaded the cargo and all the passengers luggage were left behind in Brussels. We got no information in New York JFK what we should do, only a paper with a token for baggage tracking (what didn't work properly). After 50 hours we got back our luggage. But, this happened in June, still no response for our claim. Nothing. And they aren't reachable on phone or mail. The onboard service is ok (not superb just ok), but that's all.
RouteBUD to JFK via BUD
Date FlownJune 2016

"Brussels Airlines didn't seem interested"

Verified Review | London to Zagreb via Brussels. I was only carrying hand luggage, as I prefer to pack light. Brussels Airlines staff made me check in my bag into the hold as the plane was 'exceptionally busy', despite being very early for my flight. My bag did not reach Zagreb the same time I did, and had to be delivered on another flight. This pretty much ruined the first part of my holiday. They had to deliver it the next day to my holiday accommodation, but we had booked an expensive day trip, which was also ruined as we had to wear dirty clothes, which were not suitable for the Croatian weather, was wearing glasses (couldn't see anything due to the glare). I understand mistakes happen, but Brussels Airlines didn't seem interested and refused to consider compensation for the inconvenience caused.
RouteLHR to ZAG via BRU
Date FlownJuly 2016

"We were truly disappointed"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Venice to Madrid via Brussels. Had a terrible experience wasting whole day due to the sudden delay from Venice to Brussels for doing the transit to Madrid both with Brussels Airlines. We supposed to traveling around in Madrid! The service and communication were not well done by the company. The delay was not our fault but we were forced to change flight as the original plane was departed without us. We ran here and there in the airport and finally been arranged to board Iberia one hour later while leaving our luggage behind. The staff told us that the luggage will either reach on time with my arrival or I have to do a claiming. Above all was still fine until we had been told our luggage (which had all the important stuff, we had no single clothings with us) will only be sent to us next day afternoon! The 'next day afternoon' was still an uncertainty, we have to waste another half day tomorrow to wait for the luggage in the hotel, this was absolutely unacceptable, never had this kind of flight experience in our life! Brussels Airlines staff should have warn us so we can make better option and at least apologise! No compensation was done on this occasion. We were truly disappointed and upset!
RouteVCE to MAD via BRU
Date FlownAugust 2016

"not show any care for its passengers"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Hamburg to Brussels. Without any previous notice Brussels Airlines changed the Avro jet by a noisy Dash 8 with props operated by low cost carrier flybe. Even with the inconveniences of that change not all passengers were granted a free drink and when you eventually did want a drink you only were available to pay by credit card. Flight with some 35 minutes delay - once again Brussels did not show any care for its passengers.
AircraftDash 8
RouteHAM to BRU
Date FlownJuly 2016

"need to offer a better product"

Last-minute booking from return London to Aberdeen produced a fare of nearly £300, but Easyjet and Flybe did not fly Saturday or had similar prices. Like budget airlines, I paid extra (£8) to reserve seat when booking. On the return flight a young family had the two seats next to me, and one over the aisle. I had paid extra for that window seat. They asked if I would take the aisle seat so they could sit together, which I did, but there is something wrong when I paid extra for that seat. I hate these extra charges precisely for these reasons, they cause more problems than they solve. It was better this family sat together ,but I was ripped off for that extra (small amount though it was). The crew on both flights were excellent, friendly and efficient, serving drinks (including alcohol) and a biscuit or crisps, the "included" offerings would cost around £5 on the "low cost" alternatives. If BA want to stand out from that crowd (And it should) they need to offer a better product than this..
RouteLHR to ABZ
Date FlownJuly 2016

"with and without service"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Brussels Airlines still does try to be regular carrier and cheap carrier in the same cabin so : business called BIZ, economy with and without service (the last with and without luggage ) the economy without service is called "light" and passengers have to pay for drinks - even for mineral water - and some snacks the meals in the economy with service "flex" are disgusting and drinks are served out of big bottles. In business plastic cutlery however on the flight to Hamburg a lot of passengers from a connecting flight were seated in the "light" area and it appeared those pax are eligible for free drinks. So the following situation did happen your neighbour did receive free drinks and you had to pay 3€ for mineral water. 50 minutes waiting time when first piece of luggage came out
RouteBRU to HAM
Date FlownJune 2016

"low cost with a bad customer service"

(Belgium)

3 Hours delay in Brussels due to a thunderstorm, very bad communication. We had to wait in the airplane for almost 3 hours and we received one glass of water. When you fly in economy like we did, you have to pay for everything and the drinks and meals were very expensive. The crew was not friendly. The flight from Malaga to Brussels was a flight without luggage because there was a strike in Brussels. We couldn't check in our luggage so we decided not to fly. We rebooked the flight for free but we had to pay for an extra night in Malaga. I made a complaint and I am still waiting for an answer but they have a very poor customer service. Brussels Airlines is a low cost company with a bad customer service and they have most of the time delays. I would not recommend this airline.
RouteBRU to AGP
Date FlownJune 2016

"extremely expensive for a basic service"

If you travel with Brussels Airlines on a route where there is little/no competition they are extremely expensive for a basic service. My most recent experience from Bristol-Brussels return (the flights are provided by BMI Regional) cost the usual several hundred pounds for the cheapest ticket and for that I got no flexibility, no hold luggage and very basic catering (a drink and biscuit). The outward flight was delayed by 45 minutes with little explanation and the return by three hours due to a ground crew strike at Brussels. I am sure the airline will claim this was beyond their control, though some flights appeared to be leaving on time. They did nothing to ease matters, and only very reluctantly issued drinks vouchers, to those that asked, after two hours - they are a legal right. Premium prices, below average service.
AircraftERJ145
RouteBRS to BRU
Date FlownJune 2016

"service on board is fairly basic"

Verified Review | Took four flights with Brussels Airlines over the course of a long weekend from Birmingham to Nice via Brussels. Check in at Birmingham took about 25 mins which felt a long time because there were only 10 or so people in the queue and most of them had checked in online. The online check-in process allows you to select seats which is obviously better than a free for all when you get on the plane. My bags were automatically routed through Brussels though which was good. The service on board is fairly basic, but my flights were only 1 hour or so long so it didn't bother me. I did buy a coffee on the first flight which was 3 euros and was more than adequate. The leather seats were very comfortable with plenty of leg room. The punctuality of the flights was the only negative, although it didn't directly affect me. All four flights were between 15 to 45 minutes late leaving, which meant that for some people connections at Brussels were a lot tighter than they should have been. The cabin crew did call out the gate numbers for selected flights when we were taxiing to the terminal at Brussels but I do wonder whether the bags would have made for those passengers with tight connections. Overall, I would recommend this airline, but be wary if you have less than 1 hour connecting in Brussels because in all likelihood it will be less than that in reality.
AircraftAvro / A319