Brussels Airlines

"awful inflight entertainment"

Verified Review | Berlin to Mumbai via Brussels. Check in at Berlin for the flight to Brussels opened 30 mins after I had reached the airport and there was already a queue formed. Slow check in with one lady handling it all and then slowly built to 3 people checking us in. Asked for a paid upgrade to Premium for my flight from Brussels to Mumbai (as per the many emails they had sent me encouraging me to do so) but was told this can only be done in Brussels. (I had tried online- but even that's not allowed). Flight to Berlin okay. No food, no water. At BRU they forgot to send stairs - a 20 minute wait in the aircraft. Transfer at BRU chaotic and finally reached then gate - tried for upgrade again but was told the flight was full. Once boarded, we had a 35 minute delay as their connecting passengers from Manchester had not arrived.Flight to BOM was okay. Nice clean aircraft and enough room to sit. Food okay, nothing special. They serve alcohol only once. What is really awful is the inflight entertainment- there were very few options to watch. Staff were okay - friendly at times and quite surly at other times. As the airline has just introduced Mumbai to their flight map as their first destination in Asia, maybe a slightly better service would be called for.
AircraftA320 / A330
RouteBerlin to Mumbai via Brussels
Date FlownJuly 2017

"increasing insult to passengers"

Verified Review | Budapest to Manchester via Brussels on the 9th Aug 2017. Manchester, arriving at the carousel we found all luggage piled/dumped, half on the floor, half on the carousel; which on enquiry, had broken down. My daughters case was amongst the pile. I proceeded to lost luggage where l was asked to fill out a form and told that the flight containing my luggage would be on a flight arriving at 5.30 that afternoon. The assistant asked if he could phone me when the luggage was in the office; I replied yes, of course! Needless to say l didn't get a call. It was now approx. 11am. I live in The Lake District. Due to pre-aranged business plans l had to be back home that same night, so I insisted that I would return to collect my bag. Before leaving l asked if anyone behind the counter could shed light on why so many pieces of luggage from all airlines goes "missing"? We've "no idea"! "Could be many reasons, one of which is that customs can hold it back". So am I being told that customs can randomly withhold anybody's luggage at the risk of causing serious disruptions to that persons life? Nowhere does it say in the contractual agreement that your luggage may not arrive with you at your destination. Whatever the reason for this deplorable and escalating problem I was determined to find out. I tried to call Brussels airline via customer services. Via email. Via an online complaints procedure. I completed this twice but each time l tried to send the screen told me that an error had occurred. To be honest, what I really believe happens is that Brussels Airline at least, has made it impossible to contact them about anything other than spending money with them despite all the bumph on their website announcing how customer friendly they are and how you can complain and indeed even make a claim for compensation! The process of trying to have your voice heard is time consuming and excruciatingly frustrating. The airline achieves its goal and the customer gives up! Can anyone out there shed light on this increasing insult to passengers?
RouteBudapest to Manchester via Brussels
Date FlownAugust 2017

"in the race to the bottom"

Verified Review | Berlin to Porto via Brussels. I really do miss Sabena. They had a fantastic product in business and economy. Brussels Airlines is a low cost airline that wants to be a classic airline. Their economy is really not different to Easyjet and Ryanair. Your ticket contains nothing, nada, zero. I feel they are in the large group of airlines in the race to the bottom.
RouteBerlin to Porto via Brussels
Date FlownMay 2017

"shouldn't market better service"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Venice return via Brussels. The inflight experience with Brussels Airlines was very good. The cabins looked new, and are comfortable with plenty of leg room. The food service was good, prices are reasonable and the staff friendly. But on the ground and in timeliness, the airline does not deliver. Four out of four flights were delayed, and on the outbound journey, our luggage arrived four days late. The b.famliy concept seems to be only a marketing stunt. The kids only received a small surprise on one of the four flights, and Brussels Airlines did not board families first in any of our four flight boarding experiences. So basically just the same as many other airlines - but they shouldn't market better service.
RouteCopenhagen to Venice via Brussels

Brussels Airlines customer review

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Geneva to Brussels. The flight was scheduled for 11:15, we took off at noon. Arriving at destination (Brussels), we do not find our luggage and or any person to tell us where to go. After having managed on our own, we learn that the luggage is still in Geneva and we should receive them soon. Total lack of information and organization. Very disappointing for such a large airline.
RouteGeneva to Brussels
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Berlin to Florence via Brussels. Our 3 bags were lost due to a breakdown of the luggage handling equipment in the Brussels airport on June 15th. We arrived in Florence at 11:50 AM and filled out the forms to have them delivered. We had a set itinerary and had already booked our lodging throughout our week + in Italy. We were only 1 night in Florence and then we moved onto Siena. We waited and waited and no baggage, no text, no info. The baggage service at the Florence airport is only open for 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon so getting ahold of someone is extremely difficult. I managed to get the name of the courier company but no one there EVER answered the phone or respond to emails. On Sunday my Italian friend managed to get the couriers personal cell phone number and talk to him. He wasn't going to work that day since it was sunday but she begged and pleaded and convinced him to return our bags to the Florence airport where we had to go back and get them before we departed for Venice, 4 hours later than planned. I purchased underwear and toothbrushes the first day or so. But after 2 days with no word from anyone I purchased some clothing and shoes. You really need to get better couriers in Italy as having our bags for Friday Saturday and Sunday and no word and then only through my luck at having local friends was I able to track down the courier and get him to return the bags. Other passengers would not have been able to get that to happen. After some difficulty I was able to file a claim for the expenses incurred while without out bags (underwear, a shirt and toothpaste) It has now been 3 weeks since the claim was filed and reference number was sent. There has been no communication from Brussels air despite repeated attempts on my part to see where we are in the reimbursement process. I have emailed repeatedly and tried to call only to discover you can’t actually call the customer service center. That to me doesn’t say “great customer service”. I have called the Brussels airlines number and spoken to various people in any department I could reach an actual live person. They have either promised to call me back and didn’t, or said they would have someone in customer service call me back which also didn’t happen. I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteBerlin to Florence via Brussels
Date FlownJune 2017

"return trip was a disaster"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Berlin to Brussels. The 17:00 flight to Brussels left after 20:30, the time our flight there was supposed to leave. Ours was then rescheduled for 21:45. No explanation was given to any passengers from either flight, though I saw multiple people try to ask. After a pleasing experience on the way to Berlin, the way the airline handled the return trip was a disaster.
RouteBerlin to Brussels

"very impressed"

Verified Review | Brussels-Toronto in business. First time on Brussels Airlines and very impressed. Seats are fairly comfortable (a bit too easy to accidentally hit the control pad though). Was traveling with my wife so window/aisle configuration was not an issue otherwise it would be awkward having to climb over the aisle passenger. Food was good and plenty of drink runs (including very good quality champagne). Overall cabin service was excellent. Only negative is limited choices on the entertainment system - good choice of music (easy to create a play list), limited number of new release movies, very poor choice of TV shows; ear phones provided are pretty basic compared to other airlines. Nice touch is the box of Belgian chocolates handed out at the end of the flight. Would definitely consider them again (although having to go through Brussels airport with its endless line ups is another matter).
AircraftA330-200
RouteBrussels to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2017

"I am still missing a bag"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Checked in at Edinburgh airport for flight to Mumbai, with overnight stop in Brussels. Checked 3 bags to Mumbai, 1 bag for overnight use to Brussels. Upon arrival in Brussels, last bag was missing. Reported the loss, and was not given any compensation, but when produced my Star Alliance Gold card for myself and my wife, we were given small 'overnight' bag which held a T shirt, and some basic accessories like toothbrush, paste, brush, etc. It has been 3 days and I have not received my bag yet, and my next flight out of Mumbai is tomorrow. The stewardess behave like they are doing you a favor. Press the call button and they walk past without stopping, or stop to shut the light without asking why we called. Seat does go flat but cranky, does not always work, and it is hard to get the setting just right. There are 3 fixed positions, upright, lie flat, and an intermediate position. Seat is quite narrow, and for anyone with wide shoulders, it is pretty uncomfortable. Food Mediocre at best. End of meal cheese selection not altogether bad. Give this 3 stars - overall I would rate this airline 2 stars at best. Not one area of the airline excels or stands out, except in a negative way. The only good thing was there was a buggy waiting outside the plane to transport passengers to the immigration counter, but it was 1 buggy, so you have to scramble to get on it, but I understand other airlines have a similar facility so it may be a Mumbai airport facility other than Brussels Airline service. At time of writing I am still missing a bag.
RouteBrussels to Mumbai
Date FlownJune 2017

"aircrafts clean with acceptable legroom"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Brussels-Barcelona return. Outbound flight left with a delay but arrived on time. Return flight delayed about 40 minutes but sales in the cabin for drinks and food were offered at lower prices because of the delay which was a nice geasture. Both aircrafts clean with acceptable legroom and fine cabin crew service (like most of the time). Brussels Airlines should change their hand luggage allowance, 12kg on European flights is just too much!
AircraftA319 and A320