British Airways

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th August 2015

I am a Silver Card Holder, work in aviation and fly around 3-4 times a week. Up to 2 months ago I was loyal to BA as it is an 'English Airline with English Values' but this loyalty was unfounded. My main issue now with BA is the age and quality of the aircraft they are now flying. On frequent trips to Dubai with BA on a 30+ year old 747-400, it seems that BA has removed all cabin quality standards and is waiting to send the aircraft to the graveyard. The seats were old and falling apart, not one thing on this aircraft worked correctly. The arm rests were damaged and the cushions flattened. The inflight entertainment was shambolic, the screens did not work correctly and were in need of either overhaul or an upgrade about 10 years ago. On short haul flights, in business (LHR-MUN), the 'upgraded cabin' is a bit of a con. The seats are lightweight. Uncomfortable seat foam with less leg room, the faux leather is horrible to sit on and does not let you breath especially when you are sitting on the aircraft without AC on. My worst experience was trying to fly back to Munich from London. It was an old A320. As we took off the pilot had to do an emergency landing. On landing, they say that they were trying to fix the problem and kept us on board. This I feel was a lie as it so happened that they let the 100 + passengers off as the last flight to London departed. We then had to stand around for 2 Hours trying to get rescheduled onto the next day flight and hotel accommodation which even though they knew we were coming had not prepared anything. Next day we flew home on the aircraft that we had originally taken off in. I would not recommend BA at present, even the new A380 I flew on to LA had so many faults and badly thought through. I will miss the easy access of Terminal 5 and lounges that I earned through loyalty as many other customers do. However the age, quality of the aircraft along with the new bullish attitude of customer care has lost me as a customer.
RouteLHR to DXB

Review by (South Africa) 4th August 2015

I am a regular user of BA and generally find the airline to be OK but not outstanding. This flight was fairly full , departed on time and check in was very quick. In my opinion the 747 fleet of BA needs either replacement of extensive refurbishment, these aircraft are all old and look it in the interior. The seats were past their prime and quite uncomfortable. The food offering was very poor, no fresh items either at dinner or for breakfast. Staff were OK, punctuality was good and baggage delivery although not fast was acceptable. Inflight entertainment was good but the TV screens are from a previous age with quite poor quality
AircraftBoeing 747 400
RouteCape Town to London

Review by (South Africa) 4th August 2015

The flight left on time and arrived early, which was great. The B747-400 fleet of BA needs either replacement or complete refit of the interiors. The aircraft was old and looked it. The food was pretty standard but compared with our earlier Cape Town to London flight much better and more complete, why the lack of consistency is unclear. The inflight entertainment offering is good but the TV screens are small and worn delivering poor quality images. Staff were excellent, efficient and friendly and went out of their way to make the journey more pleasant
AircraftBoeing 747 400
RouteLondon to Cape Town

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th August 2015

The outgoing flight was fine, the return flight was cancelled due to an issue with the plane. I understand this happen as I am a seasoned traveller, however what happened next was unacceptable and what you would expect from a low class airline. We were handed tickets for an American Airlines flight from a different O'Hare terminal and told "you have to go now". The terminal was in chaos and travelling from the international terminal to terminal three took one hour. Getting boarding passes and going again through security was another hour or so but the flight was delayed and left two hours late. Flight was very mediocre and not what I had paid for with BA. We arrived in London and guess what - no bags, even though we spent more than 5 hours in Chicago Airport and were assured our bags were on the flight. That was Sunday now it is Tuesday, no on has contacted us and no updates.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteChicago to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 4th August 2015

The seat that I had booked 24 hours in advance (a window seat) had been changed without my consent to the middle of the cabin, I complained to the staff at the gate and they said there was nothing they could do about it as the flight was full. Once onboard I discoverd that the interior was worn and the seats very uncomfortable. The in-flight entertainment or the VOD (video on demand) system apeared to be VHS and was broken for my seat, one of the cabin crew had to do a reset it which took over ten minutes. The screen was very pixelated and the sound did not work very well which meant that watching the in-flight entertainment was more tiring than not watching it. The food was average but seemed to match the aircraft as it was dull and tasteless. As this was an overnight flight I expected to be able to get somewhat more than a 30 min nap which was interupted, any sleep was not possible due to the fact that there was 5 infants in the world traveller cabin all of which at least 3 were shrieking at any given time. The Boeing 777 should not be still used on long haul flights as it does not live up to the standards of BA's Airbus A380's or Boeing 747 flights. I had an excellent flight out on BA and an amazing stay in Washington D.C but the flight back put a dent in the enjoyment of the holiday.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteWashington Dulles to LHR

Review by (Switzerland) 3rd August 2015

BA shorthaul Business Class is now nothing more than a con. The seat is the same size as in Economy, barely 29 inch seat pitch, so no extra legroom for the extra money being paid. The middle seat is blocked, but they then go and stick a table in it making it not only hard to get in and out of the window seat, but also no thought to emergency evacuation situations as it is alomst impossible to collapse the seat down - it took 3 FAs when I asked them and almost 10 minutes. Why does BA put these awful tables in? Nobody uses them and when I complained to BA, I was told "don't sit in a window seat" - what sort of Customer Relations is that. Never again BA Business Class shorthaul for me, I have flown many years with them including holding a FF Gold Card for 3 years and numerous Silver Cards. As I said at the beginning - nothing more than a con.
RouteLHR to ZRH

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd August 2015

What has happened to BA in recent years? It has been a long time since I ventured onto their long haul flights, and after this trip I will steer very clear again and stay with Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines. Airport service in Narita is always good - because it is not BA providing the service. But for the rest of the trip, simply awful. The seats (that were introduced back in the era of the only BA boss to improve things) are cramped, claustrophobic and very unpleasant on a long haul flight. Because of the seat design, there is an economy class meal style service rather than the table service that most of the "good" airlines now offer in Business class. The cabin staff were frankly laughable, sadly with the exception of a charming and attentive Japanese FA. British Airways is trading off a very distant reputation, and it seems that most British customers select them simply because they are British - anyone that travels a reasonable amount will know that BA is now well down the quality list, and it is about time Skytrax downgraded them to 3-Star Airline maximum - they do not meet 4-Star. BA markets itself as this slick, British style, when the reality is that they are a substandard member of oneworld now, and should be avoided if you have a proper choice of airline - many UK companies and UK departments stipulate BA as a No 1 choice, and frankly they are throwing their money down the pan. If you're proud to be British, I would recommend you give BA a wake-up call and avoid this very poor airline until they wake up and improve standards. As a closing point, I recently travelled China Southern Airlines on my outbound sector to Guangzhou, and they are streets ahead of BA in almost every element, excepting some language skills.
RouteTokyo Narita to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd August 2015

After 7 flight changes we took off to LHR which I was pleased about given that so many of the shuttles our friends have tried to travel on have previously just been cancelled. The aircraft from LHR had seen better days and I did wonder if we were in PE given other airlines we had travelled with. I would say categorically that it was not worth the extra hike. Just book economy with extra leg room. Given we used BA's partner airline AA which was awful and given the chap next to me had his family flight to Canada cancelled by BA and had to go a day early, via NY, I would never book with BA. Staff on board were excellent.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to San Fran via London

Review by (United States) 1st August 2015

Considering BA's fares were high to begin with and you had to purchase your seats to secure in advance we still booked on the advice of our British son in law. Plane is so large takes a long time to board and disembark. We flew Premium Economy, seats are bigger and have leg room but they're not comfortable for some reason. Flight crew was fine and professional. Inflight entertainment was fine but new movie selection was small. Cabin and seats were clean and neat. Inflight kit consisted of socks, ear plugs, mask, pen and tiny toothpaste and brush. They offer pillows and blankets. But although the seats are wider, they weren't easy to get in and out of, and not just us a number of passengers contorted just to get out. The meals were fine, though served on a tiny tray loaded with food, the meal was pretty good. Not a lot of choices, to London, beef or pasta, from London back to LA, it was beef or fish. It was hot and there was a lot of food, a salad, small cheese and crackers. Roll butter and dessert but I'm not sure I'd say it was what BA's advertisement claims. It didn't feel it was a premium meal. They also served snacks but it was flashed on the overhead with no explanation of where to go to get the snacks. The entire plane was dark. The second meal was a breakfast, but not especially appealing. On the return to LA, it was a very odd casserole, rather dry and bland. The flight was smooth and arrived on time, coming back we were an hour late waiting as the pilot informed us of sixty passengers arriving late from Germany. They lost one of our suitcases enroute, we arrived on Thursday afternoon, the bag was delivered late Friday night to our hotel, no offer to help with expense of having to buy what was needed until bag was found. Not even an email or text, we finally asked the hotel who said it arrived midnight Friday, we weren't notified by BA until Saturday afternoon. We ended up spending quite a lot buying shirts, underwear and shorts to get by. If we'd known they had found the bag we wouldn't have spent the money. Poor communication on their part. Not an apology or sorry for the inconvenience. I guess they figured we should be grateful we got the bag at all. I doubt we'd fly BA again sadly I'd hoped for something special.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLos Angeles to Milan via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2015

We flew Business Class to Vienna on the 28/7/15, Terminal 3 is a dismal place and the lounge reflected this. There was very poor food choices and everything was tired including the staff. The outward journey was okay, flight attendant was pleasant. I think the meal choices could be improved - these tickets are not cheap. However the return flight (31/7/15) which was in economy - also not cheap, was not good at all. The attitude of the staff was really below par. The food choice was an iced bun and a chicken/bacon bun. Seeing the choice I asked for the vegetarian option-Couscous with a few slices of pepper - all of which were tasteless. When asked would I like a drink I replied - Bloody Mary. I should have known better, as this was the attendant who having to do a live safety demo chewed and smirked the whole way through, produced the drink without any WS. I asked if I could have some and then watched him add a good 1cm to the drink - turning the tomato juice a dark brown. BA need to remember we as the customers pay their wages.
RouteLondon to Vienna