British Airways

"I would struggle to get comfortable"

Review by (United Kingdom)

London Heathrow to Dubai in British Airways First Class. The trip got off to a good start with the Concorde lounge at Terminal 5. Very comfortable and private, however showing signs of wear and tear. Needs a bit of a refurb. Boarding was announced and we promptly left, however only just made it to the gate. (Very odd, but I am no fan of the trains to the strange satellite terminals for boarding.) The plane was a very old refurbished Boeing 747-400. Quite why BA hangs on to these gas guzzlers is a mystery. I estimate the plane, over its life so far, has done about 90 million miles (enough to get to the moon). Much criticism has been said about cramming so many First suites into the nose of the plane, and I can say that is fully justified. It was a day flight so not worried about sleeping, but if it were a night flight as a tall (but not overweight) man I would struggle to get comfortable. It’s like a coffin and storage space for personal effects not worth a light. A cabin crew told me they will hang on to the newer Boeing 747-400s for another 5-10 years. If so, this is truly unbelievable. Given the Emirates competition on this route, their fantastic suites and they always serve caviar, one does wonder if the sales and marketing people at British Airways have a clue how to entice customers to the overall experience. There is so much criticism of British Airways on this site, one wonders why they don’t listen. It can only be perceived as arrogance. Food was fine. Very nice mezza, nice soup and spicy Middle Eastern style chicken; not bad at all. Champagne very basic and Krug has long vanished from British Airways routes. Cabin crew were terrific – faultless. Travelling a Boeing 777 on the way back. Hopefully a better seat.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon to Dubai
Date FlownAugust 2015

"strange new Club Europe seats"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Brussels to Heathrow with British Airways. Lounge at Brussels very acceptable. Plenty of space. Reasonable snacks (I wouldn’t call it a 'meal'.) Plane pushed back on time and we were airborne in minutes. The flight to LHR was just 40 minutes and straight in without stacking – landing from the East. Barely enough time for a meal, but a number of passengers took advantage of the reasonable looking prawn salad. I was happy with a couple of gin and tonics. Seated in row one, so leg room was okay in the strange “new” Club Europe seats. Overall not bad.
RouteLondon to Brussels

"need to up their game"

Review by (United Kingdom)

On the upper deck on BA 282 (Aug 31st), although the equipment is relatively new, once you are in those hideous seats, you wouldn't be aware of what aircraft you are on. Squeezing as many ying yang seats onto an aircraft does not constitute a premium cabin experience. British Airways missed a great opportunity to enhance their club world product, but while other carriers improved their cabins, BA seem content in leading the race to the bottom. The crew on this flight looked as though they did mot wish to be on duty and one in particular was really obnoxious to a child. The child's parents were certainly mare tolerant than I would have been. Crew turned a blind eye to two passengers who decided to retain their luggage from the overhead lockers while the aircraft was still climbing and the seat belt signs were still illuminated. Once the food was served, crew were nowhere to be seen until breakfast was served. Due to the awful food served on this route on a previous trip, I ate before boarding so cannot comment what the offerings were on this sector. The 'Club Kitchen' is a complete waste of time. I did attempt to have a snack from the club kitchen during the overnight flight (after negotiating the outstretched legs of a sleeping passenger) but the unlabeled sandwiches were chilled out of their existence and were inedible. British Airways really need to up their game in respect of offering a premium cabin service.
RouteLAX to LHR
Date FlownAugust 2015

"our last flight with British Airways"

Review by (Germany)

I can confirm what has been reported earlier about British Airways long haul flights. Our plane was really old and most staff were almost the same. The TV screen was almost impossible to watch because of the distorted picture and the seats felt like on an IKEA couch from the 1970's. The usual food choice of "pasta or chicken" was reduced to chicken only. On top of that we were 24hrs delayed due to bad servicing of one of the engines which needed a spare part - only available in the UK. Disaster at the check-in counter when 400 travellers were asking for accomodation - British Airways had no strategy to handle such a situation which caused hours of unnecessary waiting in the queue. Hotel vouchers given for hotels that do not exist! We had to find a room for 4 (two small kids) on our own at almost midnight. This was definitely the last flight with British Airways.
RouteDenver to London

"supposed legacy airline"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Thoroughly disappointed with this supposed legacy airline. Having been delayed for an hour on my British Airways connecting flight to LHR and stuck overnight at a Heathrow hotel I was looking forward to getting going on the morning flight. Reality check. This aircraft is old and decrepit and was built in the 80s, it should have been retired long ago. A quick Google search shows that this aircraft makes up the majority of BA's longhaul fleet. The seats are so small and narrow that you are constantly playing elbow hockey with the people on either side of you. I am 5ft 8 and weigh 70kg so how a larger person might survive is beyond me. Everything is old and looks it too. Even the staff. The seats are worn to the point that you can feel every piece of the metal frame beneath. In fact the lady seated in front of me complained to the cabin crew because she could feel the miniature Tropicana bottle I had put the seat pocket. Even the safety animation video looks like it was made as a school IT project by 11 year olds. Staff are cold and unfriendly, it would seem that their contracts forbid smiling of any kind. The inflight entertainment screens are smaller than a regular smartphone and have large visible pixels, it is a struggle to actually see what is being displayed. They are running on brand image only and even then there's only fumes left in tank. Do not fly BA at least until they seriously upgrade their fleet.
RouteLHR to JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"staff amiable and present"

Review by (Australia)

Plane was clean, staff amiable and present with deliveries of juice and water through the flight. Dinner on departure was fine, maybe a little dry but otherwise tasty enough. The seatback screen was tiny but selection of entertainment was good. The picture quality was rather poor. The black mark was the pathetic breakfast - croissant was inedible. Partly frozen, tasteless and it seemed like most of the folk seated nearby did not even open the plastic wrapper. Two cups of tea and a muesli bar was ample. My wife and I were travelling on different itineraries with British Airways and this was one flight we shared. I asked 3 times for the agent to link the booking, which she did. BA computer did not perform properly so we were seated apart. No drama since the plane was only about 80% full and we sorted it out ok. This was part of a round the world ticket, so I have no idea on the "value for money" question for this sector.
RouteCalgary to London
Date FlownAugust 2015

"cannot fault the service"

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flight home after a 2 week break in various parts of Europe. The cabin crew were fantastic. Made us (me and my Australian companions) very welcome and were most accommodating throughout our flight home. Cannot fault the service.
RouteAmsterdam to London

Review by (United Kingdom)

Great flight with BA - departure at Milan was great, despite a small delay to the flight. Relatively empty flight and so could stretch out, seat was very comfortable. Cabin Crew were great and encouraged people to order more drinks and have more food and couldn't do enough for people. Overall the best of BA. Great arrival at T5, even with having a checked bag was out in 20 mins.
RouteMXP to LHR

Review by (Canada)

My wife and I flew from Toronto to London (return) using BA Business Class in July of this year. This was part of a "trip of a lifetime" we had planned to the UK. We have never flown business class, so decided to spend the big dollars for a return trip. I am not sure if it was worth it at all! Toronto to London was an overnight flight, London to Toronto an afternoon flight. Ease of booking online was very good, Customer Service on phone was poor (obviously outsourced so a language barrier!). Check in at Toronto was average, nothing above check in at any other counter. Lounge at Toronto very good, great food, drinks, service, facilities. Aircraft cabin with average state of wear Seats - center rear facing seats. Comfortable but lacking any type of space (the lie flat bed was good) Cabin crew were on auto pilot - not rude but certainly not great, Food was average. The return trip (Heathrow Terminal 5) to Toronto was not really any better. The business class lounge at Heathrow was not good. Lousy food, looks very worn, very busy, travelers sleeping across multiple seats, bathrooms were average .I would have rather taken my chances in the regular lounge area or gone into one of the many sit down restaurants. The distance from the main concourse (after security) to the lounge is quite long and the distance to your gate (especially if it is in the B or C sections) is a great distance, and involves a train ride! Same seat on the return trip, so again average. Food, service etc all average. Overall, we were not impressed with British Airways Business, and would not use them again (consider Air Canada or another airline). I flew Air Transat Club class 2 month prior to the UK, and I enjoyed it a lot more (and a hell of a lot cheaper!) British Airways did not impress!
RouteToronto to London Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I didn't really know what to expect from this flight, it had been a couple of years since my last BA flight (Gatwick to Nice in that case) we were on our way to Lyon Airport from the city centre and noticed the flight had only just departed London. Upon arrival at the airport we found it to be delayed by 40 minutes. With little information given as to why. When we finally got round to boarding there was no organisation, a bit like every man for himself. What amused me was that the captain came on over the PA and encouraged passengers to hurry and take their seats as we had only 9 minutes to keep our slot. Safe to say because of the lack of organisation we missed our slot and we sat on the aircraft for another 50 minutes while we awaited a new slot. The captain kept us informed as best he could, the cabin crew showed no effort at all. They showed no will to actually be there, they didn't check on passengers bearing in mind it was 39°C outside and this was affecting the temperature inside the aircraft. Once we took off the service seemed rushed, I wasn't able to get any food at the airport so was hoping for something that would keep me full on the journey back, no so much a pitiful Ham and Cheese bun thing and a drink. There was no personal touch to it. As we were approaching Heathrow all we could hear from the rear galley (we were in the back row) was the two crew complaining about their hours. I'm flying with BA Citiflyer to Dublin in September, if the service hasn't improved I'll think twice if I really need to travel BA again.
RouteLyon to London Heathrow