Vote Now

British Airways

Customer rating from 1950 reviews

"atrocious customer service"

Verified Review | I was scheduled to fly BA208 from Miami to London on January 18th. Boarding and departure went normal, but than, close to take-off, the ordeal began. Captain announced a technical problem (at approx. 09:15 pm) and that's when the horror started. Overall, we ended up sitting in the plane until 01:00 am before we were finally allowed to leave the plane (any attempts to fix the fault failed). We were given accomodation, but that was a 45 mins drive from Miami Airport. Check-in took another 30 mins due to a long queue of stranded passengers, and the place was like a freezer. Was re-booked for a flight the next day, but downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy. Old, tatty 747, very uncomfortable seat and entertainment screen was the size a mobile phone. Worst of all, the delay of one day has forced me to add another night in London, and cancel my connection to Munich. Total additional expenses, not counting the difference between Premium Economy (which I paid for) and Economy was ~$500. Including the gap between Economy and Premium Economy probably ~$900. Now this is where a service oriented company would have an opportunity to make a difference. Submitted my compensation claims incl. proof for the above expenses, as per protocol online - no confirmation. Followed up with a call (had to wait approx. 45 mins to talk to a human) and was told that most expenses are not refundable but I would be compensated for the remaining. No further confirmation, email etc. Was paid a mere $50 into my account with no explanation what this is supposed to be for (the expenses were $900). Decided to do some research and it appears that under EU law, airlines are required to compensate for consequential damages if the delay if more than 3 hours (my delay was 21 hours). Absolutely atrocious customer service, lousy product. How on earth BA deserves 4 stars in beyond me.
RouteMiami to London
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"very lazy and oblivious staff "

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Los Angeles. Worst flight ever with British Airways, you can see why they have fallen out of the top 10! Very lazy and oblivious staff members. They ran out of food during both meal times. We were promised a replacement but nothing came until they cleared away the trays. All we got was "oh sorry" and a re-re heated meal. After leaving the service light on for 15 minutes looking for some water, I went to the back of the plane to find 2 members of staff reading the paper. Even after complaining to customer service after the flight we weren't treated much better. If it wasn't because for the avios program it was enough to put me off for a life time!
RouteLondon to Los Angeles
Date FlownMarch 2017

"staff were absolutely appalling"

Verified Review | I have never had such a bad experience with British Airways before. The cabin staff were rude, lazy and obviously did not want to provide a service. The flight was from Mauritius to Gatwick on Sunday 26th March 2017 landing Monday morning 27th March. No second cup of coffee offered at breakfast, we had to take our own plates back before landing and on two occasions the steward pointed to a cloth on the floor and expected me to pick it up without a please or a thanks. Food was good, the staff were absolutely appalling. We pay good money for Business class and this chaotic and rude service is not what I expect from my National Airline.
RouteMauritius to Gatwick
Date FlownMarch 2017

"has really gone downhill"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Hong Kong. The new premium economy seat is a vast improvement on the previous seat, but I was hugely disappointed however with the inflight offering. For a 13 hour flight in a Premium Economy I would have assumed it would be similar to others offering, meals, mid flight snacks and other bits. I was very wrong. We had a bar service and meal, there was then nothing until breakfast (exactly the same as the Economy offering). This is appalling, British Airways has really gone downhill with its measly service offering. I went to speak the crew at the rear of the aircraft, they completely understood customer frustrations, they just have nothing to give. BA was once a carrier you looked forward to flying with. Not so much anymore. The crew were friendly but even they seem to have lost the passion they once had. For anyone flying BA, bring yourself some additional snacks onboard especially if your travelling with kids.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon Heathrow to Hong Kong
Date FlownMarch 2017

"well below every major competitor"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Hong Kong via London. This will definitely be my last time with British Airways, I have already changed my return ticket to Cathay Pacific. The business class experience with BA has suffered so much cost cutting they are well below every major competitor. Short flight to Heathrow and the afternoon snack was pitiful - probably worth about $3 at most. Seat legroom is awful, and not far off the 29 inch size that Economy is being cut to. Staff onboard were friendly, and that is all. Lounge at T5 was again very poor - crowded, food choice and standards like a cheap motorway café, dirty and nobody seemed to be cleaning. The toilet was disgusting. Evening departure to HKG and went back into the terminal to find something proper to eat. Onboard the BA club world product is lousy - cheap, low quality amenities, a very poor meal choice and standard, washrooms unstocked and quite dirty, the cabin worn and scruffy. As an expat living in Germany, I have remained loyal to BA until now, but this is the last time I will waste our company money using them. It is quite clear that BA are abusing their monopoly situation at Heathrow, cutting their own costs to boost shareholder returns without giving one thought to the longer term reputation (and profitability) of the airline. If you are undecided about choosing BA over another airline, quite simply do not consider BA - you will be very disappointed and feel cheated.
RouteFrankfurt to Hong Kong via London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"crew to be friendly and attentive"

Verified Review | London to Nairobi return in February, during the industrial action. We found the crew to be friendly and attentive. The food was ok, I had the spicy chicken which I didn't much care for, it was rather unusually badly prepared, with great hunks of chicken and vegetables, just not as nice as the beef my husband was eating. On the return flight, we were 2 flight attendants down due to the strike, but they were excellent and more than made up for the missing staff. I know that there has been a lot of gripes about BA downgrading its services, but these flights were really good, and that there were lots of drinks runs during the sleep time. Didn't much care for the cereal bars but the 2 cups of tea made up for that!
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Nairobi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"second rate budget airline"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Edinburgh on British Airways domestic economy, check in at T5 okay although a little slow fast track security quick. I used the BA Galleries North lounge which was full but okay with hot food on offer in the mid afternoon. Boarding through A8 on to a clean looking full A319. I had seat 25A which has no window. Crew where actually very friendly as is normally the case on BA. Not a very pleasant flight due to turbulence but landed just about on time baggage off quickly so flight not too bad. The footnote to this trip is really my feelings towards BA. In order to maintain my Executive club silver status (Oneworld Sapphire) I have to take 4 BA flights each year, which I can do on domestic routes but the additional 16 or so European and International flights I take each year will be either with other Oneworld carriers or others and not BA. The management at British Airways are making false claims, when suggesting "it's what our passengers asked for". I travelled with BA 16 times last year and I wasnt asked if I wanted a devaluation of the BA Executive Club - or was I asked if I wanted to pay a huge extra charge to book specific seats - I most certainly was never asked if I wanted the simple snack and a coffee on UK and European flights replaced by buy your own food - neither was I asked if I mind paying for snacks on International flights. Unfortunately British Airways are fast becoming a second rate budget airline in order to appease it's shareholders.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Edinburgh
Date FlownMarch 2017

"worst short haul flight ever"

Verified Review | Toronto to Berlin via London on miles in a mix of classes. First class check in at Toronto was good with friendly staff. A fast priority security lane had me in the first lounge in 15 mins. Unfortunately first lounge was full (of gold card members) and so had to sit in the Biz lounge. Good menu to eat on the ground and decent selection of wine and beers. Fast boarding once it started and greeted at the door and taken to 2A. Excellent rose champagne served by friendly and professional crew. A weird but tasty starter of a cured / dried salmon followed by steak which was well cooked. Good cheeses and all courses selected were available. After some decent sleep, a fast breakfast served as late as possible ended a decent flight. T5 North lounge was packed with a 20 min wait for a shower which are now looking tatty and dirty. Decent breakfast selection of hot rolls, fruit, cereals etc. Quick board for the flight to Berlin. Ridiculous leg room -at 30 inches max. Very cramped. Don't like the table in the middle and several couples asked for them to be removed. An ok snack of cold meats though stingy portions. On time arrival and fast bags finished off a good and cramped outward leg. Returning to London in economy was possibly the worst short haul flight ever (including low cost airlines). A full A321 was cramped, insufficient bins (with one out of service) and the now infamous terrible leg room.(I understand this is to get even worse when BA moves to 180 pax on an A320 in line with charter and low cost carriers. Slow food and drink service with little take up. Some couldn't buy as no cash accepted. Not even juice, water and coffee offered for free. This penny pinching denying you even a glass of water makes the US and Canadian carriers look high class. The only saving grace were great crew who were embarrassed by the product they had to deliver. The whole plane looked fed up, subdued and just waiting for the hell to finish. Final leg to Toronto on a 777 included a bus mystery tour to a remote stand. Nice crew who were efficient and offered decent service. Poor lunch of roast chicken, weird mash and overcooked greens. Not Biz class food and pretty average. (more like economy food). Afternoon tea was fine, with a fast deplaning and bags. On the long haul legs, the IFE was identical to Christmas, poor choice, little new material - clearly even the IFE is now down graded. The biz class product - once cutting edge is in urgent need of a revamp if only to get rid of the 8 across and lack of privacy. How the mighty have fallen! Experiencing four classes on four legs, showed the gulf in all classes between BA and competitors on both short and long haul. The short haul legs to / from Berlin are worse than budget airlines where at least you know what you're getting and it's reflected in the fare and extras. With less leg room, fewer toilets, reduced quality and/or no refreshments, and a general downgrading of service, the only thing not reduced is the price. This suggests that the BA Exec and IAG only care about the bottom line and not the customer or reputation of a once world class airline. The only thing left to strip customers of is the Exec Club and Avios. It's only a matter of time before this final nail in the BA coffin hits the customer at which point - I'm off! Hello Star Alliance!
RouteToronto to Berlin via London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"my last time to book with them"

Verified Review | This will be my last time to book a trip with them. I booked a return trip for April 2017 from London to Istanbul a few months in advance, they ended up cancelling my 11:00 flight and moving me to the 07:00 flight which would not work for me. After the agent telling me to take time to work out a plan I left it for a few months. On calling yesterday they told me that I had accepted the changes as it was months ago I told her that the other agent suggested that I wait and decide later. This was followed by the fact that I had purchased a cabin bag only fare, but I travel with a iPad or laptop, with the recent electronics ban BA were going to force me to pay £50 for a bag to check my device. Although this was not my fault. To add to this everything is paid for now, reduced legroom, pay for seats and no way to change them even on check in, I can see no reason to fly BA any longer. I called my travel agent who was able to cancel my trip for a small penalty. I have rebooked with Turkish Airlines who was only a little more cost at last minute, they include food, checked bag, drinks and seat selection and sometimes a Boeing 777 on this route.
RouteLondon to Istanbul
Date FlownMarch 2017

"how much of a budget are they on now?"

Verified Review | Heathrow Terminal 5 is a great airport, dedicated to British Airways, the check-in service was not as fast as they say, it was normal. The BA staff on the ground were cheerful and happy to help. I was very excited to fly on the new Dreamliner from London Heathrow to Dubai, but my dreams were crushed within my first few steps onboard. First the IFE felt very old and not clear at all, something you'd expect on non-refurbished B777's. Choice of movies and TV Shows are pretty good so I can't fault BA on that. The seats are nice, the head rest is excellent and leg room is okay. Cabin Crew are lazy and just do not want to serve us, I was waiting more than 7 minutes for someone to come to my bright light hovering above my head. The food is okay (Your first meal) its hot and options were good, two meats and nothing more you could ask for on a plane. However and this is a big however, your second meal we were given a Breakfast Bar, that was disgraceful! How much of a budget are they on now? I thought maybe something happened to the food so they gave us Breakfast bars instead, but on the return journey we were given a cookie for Lunch, people were laughing and looking at their cookies in disgrace. I just can't believe how downhill BA has gone. It's incredible how the airline now charges for shorthaul flights too, I think they're running out of money. Unfortunately I booked my flights to Marrakech before this expereince, and I promise that would be the last time I fly with BA.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Dubai