Vote Now

British Airways

Customer rating from 1900 reviews

"a journey of disappointment"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Mumbai. I've been a loyal BA customer for several years, but this was a journey of disappointment. I was late to the airport due to delays on the train line. Called customer services while on my way, and after 15min of wait I was told they couldn't do anything about it, but gave me the number of the airport. It was incorrect. At Terminal 5 I asked the attendant for help given the rush. He was quite rude and said I had to join the queue unless I was flying business. At the gate, we had a late boarding because 'the computer wasn't working'. I was flying premium economy and let me say, on this flight (BA0199) it is like the economy class of several other airlines. Plus this 777 was in desperate need of a refurbishment. My headrest was hanging down the seat, the screen was filthy and its arm broken so it wouldn't stay in position. The flight attendant (who I never saw smiling for the entire flight) said he had reported it on the way in. I asked to change my seat. In my new seat the headphone audio had regular loud cracks and pops (it wasn't the headphones, I tried mine too). The entertainment system was poor. It started nearly an hour into the flight and stopped an hour before landing, plus the 'noise cancelling' headphones are NOT noise cancelling - try pulling the jack out and it doesn't make a difference. Overall a very poor experience, crowned by a terrible breakfast. Sorry BA but you are stuck in the 80s and you're slipping further down my list of preferences.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon to Mumbai

"dreadful, stressful experience"

Verified Review | San Jose Costa Rica to London Gatwick. We were firstly unable to get two seats together at online check-in. The next day at the airport we asked the clerk if we could have our seats together and he refused. I argued my case that we had paid a lot of money for these flights. After about ten minutes he showed the seating plan to his supervisor who immediately approved changing us to be seated together. I later found out the two BA employees, travelling either for free or at a drastically reduced rate had been given the seats originally and were eventually, after a great deal of argument moved. I have complained to BA and they have confirmed that this did indeed happen and will ensure it doesn't in the future. Next up we both had salmon and were both ill towards the end of the flight. My IFE didnt work, they offered to move me, ironically to swap with one of the BA employees but I declined as it defeated the object of wanting to sit with my wife. Choice of starter also not available but that was no big deal. Dreadful, stressful experience for people who'd paid a lot of money. Have been called by Customer Service who have offered us 10000 Avios as compensation, enough for a night at the Holiday Inn Express! Awful company to deal with, totally dismissive of customer need. On the plus side Business Class seats were comfortable and cabin crew attentive. BA need to do better though, far better if they are to compete with the good Middle East and Far Eastern airlines.
RouteSan Jose to London Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"minimalistic in their service"

Verified Review | Amman to London Heathrow. Staff were very minimalistic in their service. They were not rude, but not willing to be helpful or go out of their way to make a good impression. . I fly very often, not often with BA so thought I'd try it, and now realized they do not compare with other major airlines.
RouteAmman to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"major issue is their penny pinching"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Miami. I paid £50 extra for an exit seat - this is the best thing to do. Make sure you get the one closest to window, mainly because no-one stands there to stretch their legs etc. You get unlimited leg room and the ability to stand up and wander / stretch whenever you want, and it is good value on a ten hour flight. The seats on the A380 are narrow, the entertainment system the usual etc. The meals were fine. My major issue with British Airways economy is their penny pinching. You sit down, there is no welcome snack - you then have your meal and seven hours later if you are hungry, you have to pay for basic snacks. It's ridiculous. On American Airlines they put out boxes of pretzels, biscuits etc which you can just help yourself to. If you have a diet coke, on American you get a full 330ml can, on British Airways you get the small version. There are so few differences flying in economy between different airlines, these things count. BA has no other major advantages, so sadly, why use them?
RouteLondon to Miami
Date FlownDecember 2016

"rebrand to a budget airline"

Verified Review | Lisbon to London Heathrow. Now that BA have started charging for all food and drink on short haul flights, they might as well rebrand to a budget airline. Over the last few years, leg room across European flights (business and economy class) has decreased, to the point where it now practically the same as any budget airline. That said, it is in practice worse than budget airlines, because at least the main budget carriers have done the decent thing of removing the seat recline button, eliminating further discomfort. Even without the seat in front reclined, anyone taller than 5' 8" will be packed in tightly on any European short-haul flight. The staff are friendly and polite. However, they are often struggling to pass through the whole economy cabin with drinks/food sales service, especially when the plane is full and the flight is under 2hours 30mins. This does not only result in thirsty / hungry customers, but also the almost permanent presence of the service trolleys in the aisle blocking access to the toilets. Business class (which I sometimes use) is offered a free meal and drinks, all of a reasonable quality. However, in terms of legroom / seat size there is no benefit compared to economy. The only reason I continue to fly BA is because I have fairly set routes and BA generally fly at times which suit me. Otherwise, I get little in the way of added value. The benefits of Avios points and moving up membership tiers are hardly worth it (in monetary terms), particularly if one mostly flies within Europe. It is much cheaper to get a lounge membership (many are valid for most European - and beyond - airports), rather than remain loyal to BA these days. I have been flying with BA for well over a decade now, on a monthly basis. My sympathies go to the staff, because I fear cost-cutting will get them next, which will no doubt be to the detriment of the high standards the crews maintain to this day.
RouteLisbon to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"stay where British Airways used to be"

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel to London Heathrow. I decided to give British Airways a chance for a short weekend trip to London, because when it comes to prices they cannot beat the low-cost airlines. And what do you know? I had a part of the low-cost experience paying a bigger price: no checked-in luggage included (not even as a oneworld Emerald) and you had to pay for your inflight snacks and beverages. A plus is that the prices for the snacks and drinks were not as high as with other airlines that have introduced this service lately and the quality was good. The prices were even below airport ones. The bad thing was indeed that they needed a lot of time to deliver all the products (people were buying stuff) and it took ages until you could get your order - well, you can't compete with Ryanair trying to do better the things they do best. I really miss the days when British Airways was offering tea nad coffee for free and a little snack, it was a pleasure to fly with them and I would be happy to get back to those days. Some good things about the flights was that they landed ahead of schedule, boarding was very efficient, which is a big plus and the seats were gorgeous, a lot of space, very comfortable leather seats. As an advice, please don't try to be someone else, stay where British Airways used to be and the success will come. Losing an identity can cause more financial damage then a sandwich and a tea offered for free.
RouteBerlin to London
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"the worst airline so far"

Verified Review | Istanbul to London Heathrow. I am a frequent flyer between Turkey and Canada. I got first time flight by British Airways. I feel it was the worst airline so far compared to others. Can you imagine that they even did not give a cup of water to the passengers for 3.5-hour flight from Istanbul to London. They explained it by economical concerns. What is the economical benefit not to serve a cup of water? Also, from London to Vancouver, we delayed almost 2 hours because of luggage issues and a passenger did not feel well and he had to leave the plane, which could be understandable this part. But, the plane was old Boeing 747, the screens were very bad quality and small. The name of the company is big but quality of the service is far below than average. Cabin crew are professional though, so this is not their mistake. It was enough trouble for me not to select BA in my flights in the future.
RouteIstanbul to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"this is an airline in decline"

Verified Review | Filthy dirty, tired Boeing 777-200 to Chicago. British Airways First Class seat is barely a Business Class seat on other airlines. Food absolutely terrible, and service from crew hurried and disinterested. IFE movies limited selection, and slow. This is an airline in decline. They don't care because of limited competition across the Atlantic. In summary, not First Class, but rather no class. Finally, their First Class lounge at Heathrow was dirty and worn.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLondon Heathrow to Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"this is by far the worst"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Bangkok. As you walk into Heathrow T5 you have the feeling of a world class airline - and that's where it stopped! 20 minutes late for boarding then only after they had got everyone on the plane did they say sorry we have technical problems and passenger didnt turn up - it took them 1 hour to fix the plane didn't tell us what the problem was and remove the passengers bags! I gave up my seat 38D for a lady wanting to sit with her friends so I got 40D - big mistake! Seat does not recline and the headrest extender was broken and kept slipping down. Upon takeoff the aircon above decided it was going to start leaking water above - when the guy sat in seat enquired the staff smiled said she would see what she can do then went to the galley behind me and I heard her say to a co-worker that's the last of her problems. It was the coldest plane I have been on their was people on the plane wearing winter jackets I was that cold I took the blanket put it over my head and wrapped round behind my elbows and pulled it down with my feet. Toilet behind me was continually sucking the whole flight. They had to manually reset everyone's screens, they were very old, the fact my mobile has a bigger screen leaves a lot to be desired. Not to mention whatever you tried to watch would have continual lag. The interior on the seating was old and lumpy I'm sitting here writing this 8 hours later and my backside is still raw! They don't even have USB's to charge your phone! So they encourage you to use their mobile app for digital boarding pass to make it more seamless then fail to put any USB charge points around the plane. Going to email BA and ask for a refund on my return ticket as I can honestly say out of the 20 or so airlines I have flown on over the years this is by far the worst!
RouteLondon Heathrow to Bangkok

"comfortable economy seat"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Cape Town. This journey was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't expect great service and was not disappointed. I didn't expect great food or wine and was not disappointed. I didn't expect a comfortable economy seat and was pleasantly surprised. This was an older 777 with a 3-3-3 configuration (31" seat pitch) in economy and comfortable seats. I flew to South Africa this time last year with Virgin on their new B787 and it was a nightmare. The comfort of seat on a long haul is far more important to me that anything else and this was a far more pleasant experience than I had expected.
RouteGatwick to Cape Town