British Airways

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

Boarding well organised and efficient. Seated in World Traveller on the upper deck. 2x4x2 on this deck is preferable to the 3x4x3 on the lower deck. Flight attendants welcome customers on board and service was friendly and professional. Seat fairly comfortable. Legroom standard for economy. IFE excellent; a huge range of entertainment options. The disappointment was lunch. The chicken casserole was basically a few pieces of chicken swimming in oil with a few vegetables. Very poor. Afternoon tea, on the other hand, was nice.
RouteLondon to Los Angesles

Review by (Canada) 30th June 2015

YUL to FCO and BCN to YUL. PTV on each for e long haul planes, entertainment did the job and it was activated when I boarded the aircraft. The food was ok except on the return flight from London to Montreal where the chicken was dry. No flight delays on outbound journey but 3 hour delay on the return flight where the aircraft has to be changed due to the mechanical problem.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteYUL to FCO via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Our night flight was delayed by nearly an hour; not the fault of the airline but a contributory factor to our disappointment with BA on this flight (17th June 2015). We paid extra for our Premium Economy tickets, then extra again to reserve seats, and past experience with BA and with equivalent seats/service on Virgin Atlantic had led us to expect value for money and some small rewards for the extra costs. Not this flight, however, where the only real benefit appeared to be a small amount of extra legroom. We were last to board after First, Business and Economy. Where customers in Premium Economy used to be greeted with the choice of a glass of fizz or orange juice, now it is water or juice. Once we had taken off, drinks were served; fine, but when the steward came to collect the empty glass/bottle, he knocked the glass onto the floor, where it broke - the staff were all rushed and seemed to be short on numbers perhaps? I was made to feel that the breakage was my fault! Dinner did not arrive until after 11pm, by which time I had rather lost interest, as had my partner. So far, our extra costs had bought us extra leg room and one glass of wine (I was not offered a second, possibly because of my crime of causing the steward to break a glass). Overnight, by contrast to other night flights, the lights were never fully dimmed; there were no offers of water/orange juice to prevent dehydration. The promised (on the menu card) morning 'light snack' and coffee/tea/fruit juice was a hastily delivered piece of dried-up cake and a weak coffee - no mention of fruit juice. I couldn't really see what my extra costs were getting me that those in Economy had for less - the extra leg room was rather negated by the passenger in front's fully reclined seat. I will not, if at all possible, be travelling with BA again. It left a rather sour taste at the end of our holiday.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteWashington DC to Heathrow

Review by (Thailand) 28th June 2015

Check in at Tegel was a disaster and ludicrously (for it has a lot of BA flights) I was told there are no BA staff at that airport to sort out problems. 100 minutes prior to departure, 2 check in desks were open - 1 business, 1 economy. As a BA Silver card holder, I joined the business queue. First one lady had considerably too much baggage. The arguments went on for more than 10 minutes before she paid the extra fees. Then the technical crew for a pop event the previous day had to be checked in. Not only were some of their 20 or so items very overweight, others were way too large. After 20 more minutes I asked a young lady why the other business passengers could not be processed at the economy desk. This was not possible, I was told. Eventually another economy desk opened; yet our queue remained immobile for a further 15 minutes. Finally after more than 40 minutes, someone decided we could be processed at an economy desk after all! Looking forward to a drink in the lounge, I then discover there is no lounge airside. As for the LHR-ORD flight, I have been spoiled with business class intercontinental travel since business class was introduced. To board an international carrier and discover a seat pitch of just 31" was a major shock. This is like travelling long haul on a budget carrier only at considerably greater cost. The worst part was the cabin was kept at an extremely warm temperature throughout despite requests for the captain to reduce it to a more reasonable level. The meal was OK and the IFE had a decent selection of movies. But overall, the flight was hugely uncomfortable. With some other carriers still offering a seat pitch greater than 31", BA has lost my future business.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 777-300
RouteBerlin to Chicago via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

After my flight to Vienna with BA I was hoping for a slight improvement on the way back - however the service was very boring. Drink service was rushed with the stewardess pouring an entire miniature of vodka into a drink before putting a drop of Tomato juice in when I asked for a Tomato and Vodka - unpalatable. Was glad to be off the plane in all fairness. Hoping that one day BA will wow me.
RouteVienna to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

Slightly disappointing flight in an aircraft that was showing it's age. It seems very little effort is put into cabin decor meaning it looks quite tawdry in all fairness. Food was okay - ham and cheese croissant - but nothing to write home about. Seats weren't great for someone my height and all in all I was left feeling underwhelmed - budget level offerings at a high price
RouteLondon to Vienna

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th June 2015

LHR-FCO and return outbound A321 new Club Europe seating, return Boeing 767. I've not flown Club Europe for some years and wasn't looking forward to the flight due to the new seat pitch which is the same as economy. I was fortunate on both journeys to secure a seat in row 1 where you do have extra legroom. The only other seat with extra leg room is the emergency exit row. The food and drink selection was good and the service from the crew was excellent on the return leg.
AircraftA321 and B767
RouteLHR to FCO

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2015

It appears BA continues to adopt a “do as little as possible” for this route, presumably due to their monopoly. The aircraft and cabin is looking tired/old, and decidedly mediocre compared to recent business class flights with Emirates, Etihad and Qatar Airways. Outward excellent service from cabin and flight deck crew. My seat (2K) was shockingly filthy. It had been cleared since the last passenger, but I noticed much ingrained filth e.g. food /drink splatters on the cabin wall, crumbs in seat folds/gaps and stained cover, all sorts of debris on floor in gaps/cracks, and remarkably grimy carpet. Cabin attendant offered me choice of the empty seats, but on inspection these were in a similarly grim state. Seat was OK for comfort, but mediocre IFE choice with very poor quality screen. Meal service was good for food and drink, although dirty environment was off-putting. Lacto Veg’ meal much improved since last tried. Pantry service is underwhelming in places e.g. Mars Bars and KitKats are tragically promoted as retro, but some nice ice cream. Return in 1K, and excellent service from cabin and flight deck crew. I'm ridiculously grateful that this cabin is clean. Tired, so skipped dinner. Decided to watch a short TV programme and found much better picture quality on screen compared to outward, although even less programme choice. I found seat comfort mediocre in bed mode, but got five hours of sleep. The cabin layout is clearly designed to maximise passenger numbers without much thought for their comfort. Awake for breakfast, so when attendants were offering bacon rolls I asked for my wife and my requested Lacto Veg Meals. Staff returned ashen faced, and profusely apologising, with two neatly wrapped and labelled plain white bread rolls. Such bad service, and a lack of joined-up thinking! You couldn’t make it up. Post-flight I found the BA customer complaints dept to be dreadful, and left me far more disappointed with the service than at the end of my flights.
RouteLHR to Grand Cayman via Nassau

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2015

Flight home was as good as the flight out. Had long delay to depart, in part from a missing passenger who checked in, then disappeared - one of those mysteries about airline travel that happens from time to time. Meanwhile a full plane of passengers were delayed in total by 90 mins. A320 was newly refurbished and clean. So called "new" Club Europe seats were installed, and as I was in row 1 it was okay. The menu was identical to the outbound and the beef main course was was terrific. It was the sort of meal that I would have happily paid £20 for in a quality bistro. FAs were great. The Chinese FA was the sort that understand customer service. Her colleague was closer to retirement and seemed to be on another planet most of the time. At the half way point I wanted another gin and tonic, but they had run out of both ice and proper "glasses". On arrival to LHR we were parked miles away from the Terminal. No reasons was given. All in all, a very good experience.
RouteSantorini to LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th June 2015

Once boarded there was a technical fault with air conditioning and the cabin got very hot. The cabin crew did offer cold water to keep all passengers cool, and delay was only around 20 minutes. Once airborne, drinks and snacks were served. Seating on A319 was comfortable for a short flight. At GLA Airport the parking stands are so far away from the main terminal and pick up points, and changes to the airport in the past couple of years have increased the walking distance. This is annoying if you only have hand luggage and want a quick getaway, especially on a late night arrival. One sees Easyjet and Ryanair passengers passing through the arrivals process much quicker.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Glasgow