British Airways

"a no frills business class"

Trip Verified | This was really a no frills business class. This flight was part of trip with Qatar Airways. Unfortunately, the London to Doha was operated by British Airways. The seat is cramped and really outdated compared to the other major airlines. The IFE was really poor with old screen system and poor range of options. The meal was not good related to the price you have to pay. The FAs were really dull, nothing wrong but no effort to communicate with passengers like FAs from other airlines. BA really need to refresh or renovate their business class cabin. It might be excellent innovation back in mid 2000s but the industry has moved on.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Doha
Date FlownOctober 2017

"British Airways is seriously lacking"

Trip Verified | British Airways is seriously lacking in all areas. Singapore to Sydney return in economy. Fly the route often, usually with Qantas which are great. The flight out to Sydney is only 7.5 hours and over night - most people are looking to maximise their sleep. Especially those who have come from London. Cabin crew were surly, unhelpful and seemed rushed and disorganised. After departure they took almost three hours to get the dinner service over and done with and turn off the lights so people could get some rest. During the flight cabin crew chatted loudly and seemed unaware that people may actually want to rest and get some sleep. The food is very average also. Two hours before landing, they serve a pre landing breakfast snack of a sandwich wrapped in plastic. No tea or coffee. The competition is too strong for this route. I would never use them again.
RouteSingapore to Sydney
Date FlownNovember 2017

"BA is shameless and embarrassing"

Trip Verified | London Heathrow to Basel. Boarding: There are now so many 'priority boarding' passengers that all those who do not fall into this category are left to feel like second-class citizens. (The new numbering system is likely to cement this impression further.) Since I was traveling on a 'low-price' ticket, I found myself seated right at the back of the airplane. Yes, BA appears intent on replicating England's class system! On board there was a delay of 40 minutes due to a French ATC strike. Obviously, this was not BA's fault, but no drinks, not even water was offered during the wait on the tarmac. After take off, the drinks trolley moved painfully slowly down the cabin. Why BA offer heated sandwiches, further slowing down their BOB service even further, when only two ec cabin crew are serving in the first place, is beyond me. The no-cash policy further contributes to the snail-pace progress of the trolley. The trolley (and a cup of tea) was within grasping distance as the captain announced we would be landing in ten minutes. End of service. Someone at the back quipped, 'So you opted for the premium seats, too!' Yes, BA is a joke, its attitude towards passengers (its customers) shameless and embarrassing. It wasn't until I had left the airport that I was able to get that cup of tea. Needless to say, Eurowings and EasyJet do things much better.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Basel
Date FlownNovember 2017

"poor quality product crew have to support"

Trip Verified | Miami to London Heathrow. A bit of a mixed bag. Boarding at Miami was conducted efficiently and the flight departed on time, albeit that some passengers were still getting into their seats as the aircraft was pushed back! So much for safety. Seat would not remain in the upright position resulting in an uncomfortable flight and subsequent aching back on arrival at Heathrow. Also my wife’s IFE failed mid flight. Impossible to hear information from the flight deck. These ageing 747’s really are in desperate need of replacement. The congealed chicken curry was disgusting and unpalatable, the alternative pasta dish was deemed acceptable. The minimal breakfast offering leaves a lot to be desired. The only redeeming feature was the excellent service provided by the young enthusiastic cabin crew. They must feel very demoralised given the poor quality product they have to support. Flight arrived early and luggage was delivered promptly.
RouteMiami to London Heathrow
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the worst airline I have flown"

Trip Verified | Prague to Washington via London. British Airways has turned out to be the worst airline I have flown. Unfortunately I am forced to fly them often from PRG, if I want to connect on their One World partner AA, which I have Exec Plat status with. BA charges for everything, including water. PRG-LHR is on a small business class seat (same as in economy), dried up breakfast that was tasteless, flight attendants that could not care less and when I asked for coffee told me they were landing soon (40 mins before landing) and that I should have thought of it earlier. London to Washington was on a broken down 747, seat sofa which you are supposed to lie on broke down and caved in on the floor. Had to be moved twice before they found functioning seat. Food was dried up beef with red that gave me a headache after two sips. Entertainment system has about 40 movies, compared to about 200 options on AA flights. Overall horrible experience. The extra added costs for flying over LHR and paying extra tax is ridiculous. BA, what is it about your flights PRG-LHR, with your onboard luggage allowance only? They charge USD 100 for a checked in luggage even to Emerald partners? Horrible food, aircraft, LHR and transfer experience. Good luck BA, will avoid at all costs. Included a picture from the bathroom which was broken.
RoutePrague to Washington via London

"An excellent flight"

Trip Verified | Cape Town to London. I can report a positive experience on our flight. From the moment we boarded, cabin crew were polite and efficient, and provided a high-class service throughout. Seats 4E/F suffer a bit from poor storage space and a lack of privacy, but they are the best for a couple. Glasses were kept topped-up even before take-off. The menu provided four choices of both starter and mains, and all the dishes were both well-presented and well-cooked. Talking to cabin crew, it seems that staff are now being trained to prepare and present food with greater care, and this really showed on the flight. The IFE screen was the usual low resolution with a limited selection of films. Still no WiFi, of course. Take-off and landing was on schedule, and announcements from the cockpit had that typical air of friendly professionalism. An excellent flight, overall.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteCape Town to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"the CEO is running BA to the ground"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London Heathrow. Despite all the negative reviews I decided to fly with BA on my recent trip to Europe, on this route BA has a daylight flight (I can't stand midnight plus departure and night flight where you can't sleep anyway and arrive at your destination wasted), more luggage allowance in premium economy and they advertised what seemed to be a comfortable cabin and stylish service. The fare was also pretty good. In the end, I have to admit my mates were right, this was a let down all along. My issues were the following. I purchased a ticket in premium economy. The advertised seats on the BA Thailand website were reflecting the newer version, when in fact not one of the 777-200 which operates the LHR-BKK-LHR route have been refitted. The seat date from the early 2000's - almost two decades ago, and I had to pay 35 pounds each way to select my seat. Come on ! Yes I got my amenities kit, a better pillow British papers and pre-departures drinks, a full bar and plenty of drinks to keep me going for 12hr plus. But the seat is old, not that comfy, the IFE belongs to the late 90's and is a disgrace to the industry. Great sound, good headset but rubbish tiny screen with a poor picture quality. I spent 12hr looking at the ceiling as I could not see squat. The seat itself is way outdated and the cabin/seat were dirty. It was however A bit better out of LHR but still not that great. The meal service was not good out of BKK. Bar service did not have peanuts or savory snack - just a napkin. Main dish was ok, but appetizer and dessert a cheap joke. No cheese nor crackers. Not enough at all, you are left starving, and in economy it is even worst. I have to say it was better on the return leg and will give you more details in a bit. Cabin crew told me they just reverted to the old style as they have had way too many complaints and the J/C had a brand new a la carte service as well. Cabin crew operating both legs were great - professional, approachable and present in the cabin every 30mins with drinks. Out of LHR the main meal was this time pretty good, including cheese and crackers and a much better appetizer plus desert. The only false note was the meal pre-selection. You get served first as they do with special meals - but do not offer you any drinks. You have to wait for a very long time. By then my meal was cold and i sent it back. They did replace it right away, but this was clearly a waste of time. Pre-selecting your meal, means you are sure to get your choice of casserole and that you wish to be served at the same time then others so the bar is right behind and one can enjoy a glass of red with is steak. Pax with Special meals service can wait as the crew have way more to hand out and these veggies lovers often do not drink anyway. Other than that it was this time a decent meal. Having said that, there was no middle service, which meant 9 h between lunch and breakfast without even a snack. Not acceptable on such a long haul. Funny enough the BKK-LHR feature three meals so why not on the LHR-BKK leg ?. BA could be so much better. They have a great force but way too many cost cutting left and right - and should have upgraded all their fleet at least 5 years ago. It is clear to me the CEO is running BA to the ground and needs to get the sack by share holders sooner rather than later .
AircraftBoeing 777-200 ER
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBangkok to London Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"bus transfer and arrival at 2.30am"

Trip Verified | After 3 hour delay at airport, flight destined for Verona with arrival time of 21.35, was rerouted to Venice, meaning bus transfer and arrival at 2.30am. We passsengers were informed minutes before boarding plane of this change. I had planned to stay the night with a friend who was going to pick me up at the airport. At such an unsociable hour of the morning, I could no longer disturb her. I explained all this to BA, who advised me that a rep would help me find a hotel and I would be reimbursed. On arrival, I was brusquely told by a BA rep to go online and find my own accommodation. After a more than 5 hour delay, my phone had no battery life. I was left to borrow a fellow passenger's phone and search for the cheapest motel near the airport - miles away from where I should have been. It transpires BA knew there had been technical problems in the morning of the flight - yet sent passengers an email urging us to get to the airport even earlier. I wasted 5 hours at Gatwick (when I could have carried on working). Also had I known, would have tried to get on an earlier flight or postpone our journey. To top it all, when all 150 passengers finally arrived at the deserted airport of Verona at 2.30 am - no taxis. BA had not thought of contacting local taxis informing them of a queue of tired clients. Further wait. Not only had I missed my dinner reunion, to my astonishment British Airways has refused to reimburse my hotel bill, stating that they had after all got me to my destination. I hadn't even counted the extra taxi bills I incurred (£45) - but I did expect BA to reimburse the 50€ hotel as a goodwill gesture. Not impressed.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Verona
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Short-haul with BA never again"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Flew British Airways from Madrid to London Heathrow. An aircraft full of people. We were being asked to check-in our hand luggage or, in some cases, to leave it by the aircraft and pick it up upon arrival. I must say I find this irritating, as I had one piece of luggage, within the rules. Other people didn't. Those should be asked to do this. I truly felt as if I were in a low cost airline, which is sad to see. Short-haul with BA never again!
RouteMadrid to London Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"solid product and excellent crew"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to London. We arrived at the airport with a lot of time due to the stories of how long security can take. The stories were true, although it is actually a very efficient and well organised airport, they just have very thorough border and immigration services as well as all passengers face enhanced security scanning of hand luggage etc. There were limited priority options available for First Class passengers, although I suspect that is more down to the airport than British Airways. The lounge provided is a third party one and is the same for business and first, and isn’t really acceptable. If it was just business then it would be ‘fine I guess’ but there is not very much seating, the food offerings were almost non existent and drinks were limited. Even the main coffee machine was broken so there was another, very complicated, machine with all instructions only in Hebrew. At the gate there was the usual ‘priority boarding’ queue as well as the regular queue. But the priority queue included all first and club passengers as well as all Oneworld emerald, sapphire and ruby members - which is a lot of people! Whilst it is nice to offer a perk to all of those members, there really should be another queue for first and Oneworld emerald as the queue was quite long. The service on board didn’t start off very well for me as due to some confusion amongst the crew I got missed out when crew were offering drinks amenity kits etc, and after seeing every one was finished and the crew were all relaxing at the front I had to go to the galley and ask. They were very apologetic and provided excellent service for the rest of the flight but those kind of mistakes really shouldn’t happen in first. The seat is comfortable and offers a reasonable level of privacy and storage space. Annoyingly the ife has to be stowed for take off and landing, which limits how much you can watch. It was the Thales entertainment system so the quality was reasonable and with a fairly good selection of things to watch. The food and drinks on board were all excellent, including a delicious veal cheek main course and some wonderful wines that went together very well. Aside from the hiccup at the beginning, the whole experience on board felt very attentive and special. It would have been nice to have been referred to by name, which I have had before on BA and with other airlines, even in business class. On arrival the priority bags came out incredibly quickly and were on the belt before we got there, which was impressive as immigration had also been very quick. Overall this was a very nice flight with a solid product and excellent crew, let down only by the ground service in Israel. I used Avios and a companion voucher for this flight so it worked out excellent value for money.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteTel Aviv to London

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL