British Airways

"I end up with mix feelings"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | I have traveled several times with British Airways, but only in long haul trips. Those have been pretty good. This time I had to fly from Edinburgh to London Gatwick and I end up with mix feelings. Ground service in Edinburgh was outstanding. Expeditious, friendly and they gave me the chance to check a second bag without any extra charge. Service on board was average but friendly. Departure was on time and we arrived 20 minutes earlier, so very well. The plane was an Airbus 319 in pretty good shape, clean and well maintained, however the space between seats was simply ridiculous. It was extremely small even for a midsize person. There would not be a chance to open a laptop and try to work. Happily the person in front of me did not recline, that could have been a disaster. Very bad. Of course there was no entertainment. There was food and beverages for purchase. Due to the space between seats I would avoid flying with BA in short haul flights.
RouteEdimbourgh to London Gatwick
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"at least a decade out of date"

Trip Verified | Could British Airways get any worse? Flew Chicago - London Heathrow in Upper Deck / Club World, of ancient B747-400, British Airways business class is the worst in the entire global airline industry. The seats are the crazy / odd facing each other, with a rude screen, and are terribly uncomfortable / narrow. They must be at least a decade out of date. The food / wine was simply awful, and they didn't have the lamb on the menu, but replaced it with some kind of beef mush. The crew were young, uneducated, and unprofessional. They were waiters and waitresses at best, and didn't seem to have the social skills requisite to serving business people. Club Class on this route was also full of screaming children, one of whom threw up on the flight. WHY do BA hold their premium customers in such contempt? I can give you the answer: They have a monopoly from the UK to the USA, and back, and no legitimate competition.
RouteChicago to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"has adopted the low cost airline mentality"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Flew on British Airways from Athens to London. The aircraft was a Boeing 757. At the age of 20 years, the aircraft showed its age inside and outside as well as the seating. Apart from this we were slightly delayed leaving but caught up time in flight so landed on time. Unfortunately BA has adopted the low cost airline mentality of having to buy food and drinks which is a shame as they used to be a lovely airline but I guess we will need to live with it as prices are competitive.
RouteAthens to London
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"meals were served very slowly"

Trip Verified | The best thing about this flight from London Heathrow to Miami was it’s punctuality. However having got up at 5am for the flight time at 10.45, if we hadn’t eaten breakfast in the airport we would have been starving by the lunch service, which was served what seemed like a long time after take off. 6 hours after the mediocre lunch were were served an even more mediocre sandwich. Only one cabin staff for premium economy service meant drinks and meals were served very slowly by the hard worked lady. Aircraft an elderly 747 and showing its age. Screen tiny, scratched and hardly worth looking at. We have flown similar routes on Thomas Cook and TUI planes and the service and comfort of their new aircraft was miles ahead of this BA flight, which I think is shameful for the national carrier.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLondon Heathrow to Miami

"Boarding was disappointing"

Trip Verified | I've been flying to Bombay for the last seven years to teach there. For most of those seven years I have flown Jet, but decided to try BA this time. Terminal 5 Heathrow flowed smoothly from kerbside to the gate. Boarding was disappointing because there was no discipline in how the aircraft was boarded. Logic suggests you board from the back of the aircraft but when I questioned one of the staff, I was told they had stopped doing this over two years ago. The flight was smooth, the seat significantly more comfortable than Jet's, the food good, and the service great. The steward who looked after my area was both friendly and authoritative. IN economy class, I can only book my seat 24 hours before takeoff. I can book the seat of my choice earlier if I wish to pay, and that was what I wanted to do with my Avios points, but you cannot. I was told that several Executive Club members and Avios point collectors had made the same complaint, and that BA might consider allowing its customers to reserve seats with Avios points. BA, judging from this experience, does not know whether it is a full-exercise or a low-cost airline.
RouteLondon to Bombay
Date FlownDecember 2017

"so much for a full-service airline"

Trip Verified | Flew short haul business class with British Airways, Manchester - Gothenburg via London Heathrow. It's a diffcult one to review, some aspects of the travel were excellent and others unacceptable. We used points to travel, so what we paid was fine, though would never pay a full BA business short haul fee. We have family in Sweden so took 70kgs (gifts etc) of luggage with us for our four night trip. Check-in was fine both ends, all fights on-time (just about) and no luggage issues, a positive. The staff were friendly though clearly demoralised and actively encouraged to email/publish our concerns. We had a mixture of fortunes with the catering MAN-LHR, nice cold meat platter (30 min flight). LHR-GOT three dried up finger sandwiches, no alternative offered, were told could not take from the M&S menu in economy either. One reason for this, because we ordered an asian veg meal once years ago and apparently this stays on the system. I was told to change my profile details on BA site - once home I looked it clearly says meal options - none, i.e. no special menu (confusing to say the least). Thus the catering became an issue on the remaining three flights. We were told in economy you had to purchase everything, even water, however if in an emergency tap water could be provided - so much for a full-service airline! Any newspapers also gone from business class. On LHR-GOT route there was no divide put up between business and economy, so a 'free for all' to the front toilet. Leg room not great, even fully paying business class passengers have to purchase a seat (more than 24h) in advance (£21 for the frist row and £18 for the rest), which is ridiculous if you had paid £400 return. Lounges OK - preferred MAN to LHR (which is busy and looking worn already). The down-scaling of BA and the mix of pretending to be a full-service airline, but having budget airline ideals and practices is both confusing and not on. The FAs were a saving grace, though rest assured, they are not happy. We'll use up our existing points, though definiately not our airline of choice.
AircraftA319/320
RouteManchester to Gothenburg via London Heathrow

"Bad service"

Trip Verified | Flew London Heathrow to Prague. Bad service. Had to check in the hand luggage at the gate despite being bronze. Arrogant staff. Not to mention the old story of no complimentary refreshments. I fly the route a few times a month. British Airways sometimes uses airport bus instead of air bridge. And there are frequent delays. What’s the difference between Ryanair and BA again please? Ah, the price! The only reason I give 2/10 is because the plane has reclining seats and got us there safely.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Prague
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"journey was very irritating"

Trip Verified | New Orleans to Hyderabad via London. I booked my flight ticket couple of moths before my travel and I received an email on the day I'm going to travel saying that my flight was cancelled and they asked me to book my ticket for the next day. This destructed all my plans. I have an interview to attend which is very important. I gave a call to the customer service and they really did not gave me any options. After couple of hours over the call, I am very frustrated and they gave an option to fly from MSY to DFW and London and Hyd and the layover is very short and I am very tense as I don't have any options to choose. This whole journey was very irritating and the customer service is really bad.
RouteNew Orleans to Hyderabad via London

"Extremely dated aircraft"

Trip Verified | Delayed 2 hours on outbound flight to Athens due to lateness of aircraft and then due to technical issues. No tea or coffee offered while on business on that flight. Extremely dated aircraft. Meal offered was good. Cancelled inbound flight to London due to technical issues of aircraft. Hotel and compensation offered. No entertainment during the next day’s new flight. In general British Airways has no customer satisfaction anymore. Unfortunately I fly with them cause I have to. It has become an unreliable average airline.
RouteLondon to Athens
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"food has noticeably improved"

Trip Verified | A fairly average flight to Cape Town and return. The old 777s they use out of Gatwick are incredibly dated but the economy seats are fairly comfortable. The TV screen is very small and fuzzy (and had to be reset on the journey home to get it working) but the selection of entertainment is OK. The food has noticeably improved since last time we flew with British Airways long haul and all meals were tasty and a decent size and it was nice to receive a hot breakfast before arrival on both journeys. As always with BA the crew were mixed – some were helpful and really friendly, others were borderline rude. However I would probably still choose BA to Cape Town in order to fly direct.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Cape Town

British Airways Photos

British Airways is the flag carrier of the United Kingdom, with its main hub being at London Heathrow Airport where it operates from Terminal 5 and Terminal 3. The airline also has substantial operations from Gatwick Airport. British Airways is a member of Onweworld alliance, and part of International Airlines Group (IAG). Since 2016 British Airways has been implementing cost-cutting across many parts of the customer product, with the 4-Star Airline rating held by BA for many years under review.

FIRST CLASS

British Airways offers First Class on many long haul routes operated by widebody aircraft (Boeing 747-400, Boeing 777, Boeing 787 and the A380). Most aircraft have 14 flat-bed seats in First Class, and 8 seats on the Boeing 787-9.

flat_seatsFlat bed seat / suite
power_iconIn-seat &/or USB power
DiningOn demand dining
WinesFine wines & beverage service
SleepingPillows & duvet / blanket
PyjamasPyjamas / Sleepsuit
AmenitiesAmenity kit

BUSINESS CLASS

Branded as Club World for long haul and Club Europe for short haul services, British Airways was one of the pioneers of flat bed seats in long haul business class. The product is overdue an upgrade, with the seat layout on a Boeing 777 being 8-across in contrast to the more standard 4-across layout. British Airways Club Europe cabin uses a standard Economy class seat, with the middle of each 3-across section left empty. British Airways charges business class customers to reserve seats for both long haul and short haul flights..

LONG HAUL

In-seat &/or USB power
Inflight entertainment
DiningComplimentary meal / snack

PREMIUM ECONOMY

British Airways offers a premium economy cabin on their long haul / widebody aircraft, branded as World Traveller Plus. With the exception of the larger seat, the onboard service and product varies little to the standard long haul Economy class.

Seat pitchSeat pitch : 38 ins
Seat widthSeat width : 18.5 ins
power_iconUSB power
DiningComplimentary meal
WinesComplimentary beverages & wines
SleepingPillow / blanket

ECONOMY CLASS

British Airways has been reducing economy class standards recently and now charge for all food and beverages on short haul services. Further cuts are expected to their long haul product standards. The cabins are branded as World Traveller for long haul, and EuroTraveller for short haul.

LONG HAUL