British Airways

Review by (Canada)

My wife and I flew from Toronto to London (return) using BA Business Class in July of this year. This was part of a "trip of a lifetime" we had planned to the UK. We have never flown business class, so decided to spend the big dollars for a return trip. I am not sure if it was worth it at all! Toronto to London was an overnight flight, London to Toronto an afternoon flight. Ease of booking online was very good, Customer Service on phone was poor (obviously outsourced so a language barrier!). Check in at Toronto was average, nothing above check in at any other counter. Lounge at Toronto very good, great food, drinks, service, facilities. Aircraft cabin with average state of wear Seats - center rear facing seats. Comfortable but lacking any type of space (the lie flat bed was good) Cabin crew were on auto pilot - not rude but certainly not great, Food was average. The return trip (Heathrow Terminal 5) to Toronto was not really any better. The business class lounge at Heathrow was not good. Lousy food, looks very worn, very busy, travelers sleeping across multiple seats, bathrooms were average .I would have rather taken my chances in the regular lounge area or gone into one of the many sit down restaurants. The distance from the main concourse (after security) to the lounge is quite long and the distance to your gate (especially if it is in the B or C sections) is a great distance, and involves a train ride! Same seat on the return trip, so again average. Food, service etc all average. Overall, we were not impressed with British Airways Business, and would not use them again (consider Air Canada or another airline). I flew Air Transat Club class 2 month prior to the UK, and I enjoyed it a lot more (and a hell of a lot cheaper!) British Airways did not impress!
RouteToronto to London Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I didn't really know what to expect from this flight, it had been a couple of years since my last BA flight (Gatwick to Nice in that case) we were on our way to Lyon Airport from the city centre and noticed the flight had only just departed London. Upon arrival at the airport we found it to be delayed by 40 minutes. With little information given as to why. When we finally got round to boarding there was no organisation, a bit like every man for himself. What amused me was that the captain came on over the PA and encouraged passengers to hurry and take their seats as we had only 9 minutes to keep our slot. Safe to say because of the lack of organisation we missed our slot and we sat on the aircraft for another 50 minutes while we awaited a new slot. The captain kept us informed as best he could, the cabin crew showed no effort at all. They showed no will to actually be there, they didn't check on passengers bearing in mind it was 39°C outside and this was affecting the temperature inside the aircraft. Once we took off the service seemed rushed, I wasn't able to get any food at the airport so was hoping for something that would keep me full on the journey back, no so much a pitiful Ham and Cheese bun thing and a drink. There was no personal touch to it. As we were approaching Heathrow all we could hear from the rear galley (we were in the back row) was the two crew complaining about their hours. I'm flying with BA Citiflyer to Dublin in September, if the service hasn't improved I'll think twice if I really need to travel BA again.
RouteLyon to London Heathrow
Date FlownJuly 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Given BA's bizarre and relentless assault on its premium passengers, dropped back to economy as no point flying club Europe given seat leg room now the same. Nice new interior so clean, adequate seat, flight left on time, quick baggage pick up-didn't bother with the sandwich offered, my daughter did, couldn't really see any difference than the sandwich being offered in club except it's served in a box. Crew made no effort to disguise their desire to be somewhere else. Overall I expected little and so not disappointed. Decent value for money, but just another flight and a few hours to watch a film on the iPad.
RouteGatwick to Marrakech

Review by (United Kingdom)

London to Miami return. Flew out with 5 children, one was an infant turning 2 during holiday. Had necessary booking for seat on return and booking number and email assuring me bookings were linked and there would be no issue. Upon checking in to return was met with rude staff who commented "don't even touch that it's hassle just refer her to ticketing" where I spent the next two hours waiting for them to check me in. My flight closed and took off without me - despite me constantly stressing that I had a child with a fractured leg and medical assistance all linked to the flight. Long story short, I was dumped on next flight after 3 hours waiting at desk with 5 children, no explanation of what was going on - people being served all around me by person who was supposed to be dealing with me, no child meals were transferred and all assistance was abandoned as was connected with previous flight. Resulted in me being stranded at Heathrow as my 7 seater taxi had left and was impossible to book another. However this wasn't all - check in staff went on to tell me that my 32 kilo case could not be boarded as it was too heavy under health and safety regulations. I had to throw away 8 kilos worth of clothing. This was despite me being 48 kilos under my overall baggage allowance and receiving a sticker labelled 'heavy bags must not weigh more than 32 kilos'. Had a further 3 hour wait at the other end as all medical assistance booked had not been transferred as requested. Would never fly British Airways again due to the complete and utter incompetence of the ground staff at Miami.
RouteMiami to London Heathrow

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have been flying with British Airways on the LHR-GVA route for a while now, and the original excellent service has been declining. I am an Executive Club silver member and due to changes to the Executive Club I am now earning a lot less avios and tier points than I used to. Also the slimmer seats on the aircraft, in this case a rather old A319, are much less comfortable and roomy. I find it quite tight and I am not especially tall at 6ft. The cabin crew were not particularly attentive but friendly. They barely bothered with the passengers onboard even though the flight was nearly empty. Overall it is disappointing that our flag carrier is becoming more like Ryanair with every 'enhancment' they make. I have recently tried Swiss on this route and they were cheaper and provided a superior service.
RouteLondon to Geneva
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

The sad decline of our national flag carrier seems to be continuing unabated. I fly the LHR-PHX-LHR route on a monthly basis and although I've spoken to colleagues about changing carrier, as BA offers the only direct route into Phoenix I have stuck with them. But where to begin? The 747-400s used are ageing, shabby and tired, if they were your old horse they'd have been taken to the knacker's yard years ago. Throughout the aircraft the seating is uncomfortable, space cramped and onboard facilities lacking and limited. The AVOD in economy and the premium variant is restarted with almost comical regularity, the screens are smaller than most of us have fitted in our car so you are either squinting or just unable to see the movie you are trying to watch. When the person in front reclines the screen is almost forced into your face such is the limited legroom. Catering is just awful in the economy cabins and only marginally better in business, although I see the airline is getting around this now by allowing the the privilege of paying for a meal upgrade. One word of caution here - if you are upgraded your meal stays behind despite you paying for it. All in all BA is slipping against the competition and delays are common place as to be expected, LHR lounges are in need of a complete makeover and it's a rarity to get more than a couple of cabin staff who seem happy in their work. I've one more BA flight to go and then it's adieu from me, but then given how they so sparingly issue tier points now it's not like I'm going to miss them.
RouteLHR to PHX

Review by (United Kingdom)

Did this same trip last summer with delays etc but thought we had just been unlucky but history repeated itself. All legs were delayed. Technical issues or weather were blamed. BA do not seem to have much in the way of contingency plans and particularly where terminal 5 at Heathrow is concerned it takes very little weather to throw the whole place into confusion. At all points information was lacking or contradictory. I cannot decide if they lie or are so inept that they do not communicate with each other. Eg our internal flight home was showing as being subject to big delays for hours online. When we arrived at the gate the delay was announced as a sudden crew issue. A new thing this year seemed to be to bring out the captain to speak to passengers - maybe we were supposed to be charmed. This happened both at Heathrow and Boston. On the long haul flights the seats were tiny ( the internal ones were better which seems strange), on both long haul legs of the journey the entertainment system did not work and the food was lamentable and definitely worse than a few years ago. The cabin crew were nice but that's about it.
RouteManchester to Boston via Heathrow

Review by (United Kingdom)

The British Airways plane I flew on from Larnaca - an ageing 767 - was clearly tired and while clean, looked frayed around the edges. Club Europe offers a free seat next to you but this was not on offer on the 767 so it also felt a little cramped, especially as the seat is no different from the Economy seat. Food was acceptable, but not the best I have been offered on European business class flights.
RouteLCA to LHR

Review by (United Kingdom)

Absolutely disappointing experience. Flight was delayed by more than 2 hours but ground staff were unfriendly and unwilling to help arrange transport options even though plane touched down after midnight with no public transport options available. Reason was claimed to be weather but both Aberdeen and London experienced good weather, with no other flights being delayed in both locations. Concocted reason to fool passengers. Would not recommend this airline previous two flights have been delayed for at least an hour each.
RouteHeathrow to Aberdeen

Review by (Australia)

Not sure who invented these seats but they are awful. Difficult to get in and out if you are inside. Has not flown British Airways for a number of years but they have not improved in this time, food still very mediocre and service the same. You even had to pay in advance to select a seat, which we did. However, when we checked in, we were told sorry crew using the seats you paid for! Still waiting for my refund. Inflight entertainment is rubbish - movies well past their sell by date. Back to Emirates for us.
RouteLondon to Kuala lumpur