Vote Now

British Airways

"treats customers with such contempt"

Verified Review | Edinburgh to London City. Despite having a confirmed booking, when I attempted to check-in with a prepaid-for bag at 1535 at the EDI airport for a 1655 flight to LCY (domestic flight) I was told I couldn’t as the flight had been oversold. I accepted an offer to switch to a later flight on the same route with Flybe and take compensation but then was told the compensation couldn’t be authorised so I had to ‘wait’. I then stood around for 10 minutes, being asked to ‘move out of the way’ at one point because I was blocking others. I was not given a copy of the compensation scheme details (despite what the BA website claims should be done) and the staff seemed unclear of it themselves. I was simply ignored until I approached the desk again and insisted to speak to a supervisor. None was available nor could be contacted, apparently. I wasn’t allowed to transfer to the Flybe flight “in case” a seat became available on my original flight, so they tagged my luggage but did not check it in. I was told to wait for another 20 minutes. I argued this was not fair to leave me in limbo given I had a confirmed booking in the first place but I was basically ignored and informed this flight is regularly oversold and it’s not their problem that other people had checked-in before me. I was treated as a nuisance. At one point, there were 5 members of BA check in staff doing nothing (nobody else to serve) whilst I was just standing silently there ‘waiting’ and being ignored. After 20 minutes of not knowing what to do, my original flight closed and I was approached by a supervisor (who suddenly was available to talk to me) and given a seat. I asked how it was that a seat has magically appeared if earlier I had been told the flight was already full with no seats available. He explained that the seats had been prepaid for by others who had then not checked in, and as the check-in was closing, they could give me the seat now. I informed him that I resented having been treated rudely by his staff earlier (though the supervisor himself was professional and courteous) and that his staff are untrained to deal with overbookings. I had done nothing wrong to deserve being treated so shabbily, like a problem rather than a customer. I then had a predictably stressful rush through security to ensure I was not denied boarding at the gate for being late (even though I had arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare originally, especially for a domestic flight). As I told the supervisor, if the airline treats its customers with such contempt, do not be surprised that the public ends up viewing the airline with contempt. Under their current policy of overbooking, passengers who do not pay more to reserve a seat in advance are at risk of not getting a seat at all, even though they have a confirmed booking. Some would call this cheating. The saving grace of the experience was that the flight was punctual, and unlike mainline BA, this route is run by its subsidiary BA CityFlyer which still offers complimentary drinks and a snack for which the cabin crew service was efficient. I rate it 2 out of 10 for the stress incurred in checking in.
AircraftEmbraer 170
RouteEdinburgh to London City
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I was highly disappointed"

(Ghana)

Verified Review | Accra to London Heathrow on BA is a 6 hr 50 min overnight flight. Sleeping on overnight flights in economy class is an ordeal in itself, bit I was highly disappointed that more than an hour before landing - we had just entered French airspace - all cabin lights were put on bright for the breakfast/snack service (following the dinner after take-of in Accra): the more since this service consisted of a cup of tea or coffee (or cold drink) only. Not even a biscuit was offered. I was shocked.
RouteAccra to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Short-sighted management or what?"

Verified Review | This a tale of two airlines and their individual approaches to Business Class passengers. We were flying to Mauritius on holiday and I felt, given the flying time, we should spoil ourselves and fly up-front with all the 'comparative' comfort of Business Class. The British Airways flight itself was okay, the crew friendly and the cabin worked fine. However, I was totally shocked by the standards of catering in the Gatwick Lounge (a small issue for some perhaps, but for me, it's all part of the Business Class experience). To illustrate my point, I attach a shot of what Walsh's policy of putting shareholders first actually means for fare-paying passengers. With the very confusing layout that greets one in the South Terminal now that BA have moved in, the 'serve yourself' check-in (you even label your own bags!). I was pretty frustrated by the time we actually found the 'Lounge'. But then to be greeted with this, was totally unacceptable. So, Willie, rather than screwing down costs for the benefit of your shareholders, this sort of display of overt cost-cutting has now lost you revenue for the future. Short-sighted management or what? Take a lesson from Emirates who I decided to fly home with, so disgusted was I over our experience. They put passengers first!
RouteLondon Gatwick to Mauritius

"a reasonable experience"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Vancouver return.Both flights were punctual but sadly the 747-400 aircraft used are now beginning to look their 20 plus years of age, especially compared to the A380s BA have used on this route. The cabin is looking rather tired and worn and the seats are not comfortable enough for a 9 hour flight. I was very pleased to have booked an exit row seat for additional room. The IFE system is also quite dated and limited compared to modern offerings. On the plus side the cabin staff were friendly, helpful and courteous and this is somewhere BA seem to do well. Food and drink were complimentary and of decent quality for economy class. Boarding at YVR was very well organised, less so at the Heathrow end. It is also a shame that these flights depart from the cramped Terminal 3 at Heathrow. Overall a reasonable experience, but one that they could improve to excellent with a bit more polish.
RouteLondon to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Flight barely a quarter full"

Verified Review | Return trip from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow. Flight was barely a quarter full. Going to Washington flight was probably only about a third full. Attendants said it was the quietest they had every seen. Given that I was on an A380 it really did look empty. Food and service was good both ways and the aircraft was only a couple of years old. Plenty of room on the downstairs cabin and the overhead lockers seemed larger than any other airliner I'd flown on. I was given an exit row seat which was very welcome. BA usually charge £58 for this seat. It meant about 5 foot of legroom and because the next cabin in front was business class the toilets were curtained off for the entire flight meaning the area was very quiet. No real gripes although the "snack" served about an hour before landing has been downgraded from a small meal to a tiny Twix chocolate and a cup of coffee. Flight cost £430 and using some airmiles I knocked this down to £330. Loads of interactive channels to watch but films weren't the best but that's a personal thing.
RouteWashington to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"food had no taste whatsoever"

Verified Review | Bangkok to London with British Airways. I'm a frequent flyer. For a change, we decided to fly BA to London from Thailand for our 12 hour journey. When we were seated, we realized that the seat cushion was coming away. Underneath there were lots of litter. We then realized that we can't watch movies etc due to fact that there was no sound. I informed the cabin crew and they said that they will report to relevant people etc. Our other complaint was the food - it had no taste whatsoever and was served with plastic cutlery which broke few times. In short I would not recommend flying with BA.
AircraftBoeing 777
RouteBangkok to London
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"service good, food adequate"

(China)

Verified Review | London to Hong Kong with British Airways. The flight is good as I booked the best business seat and it is imperative if flying BA to get this best seat 16K, other seats are below standard for long haul business. Yet a similar seat on an A380 is better. Service is good and food is adequate. I fly this route many times on BA rather than CX: CX is better but BA better priced, and that is, if you get the best seat. 7 points for B777 and 8 for A380.
RouteLondon to Hong Kong
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"flight OK with snack and drink"

(China)

Verified Review | Flying British Airways from Paris to London is less convenient as they are the only major airline that has the check in counter located one floor down at basement, but good that on this occasion the business class lounge is relocated to the Cathay Pacific lounge as this caters for long haul passengers. Boarding on time but held in tarmac for half an hour, not BA's fault. The pilot tried to make up time but still failed by a few minutes to have lost the allotted time, so the aircraft parked a mile away with inconvenient stair deplane and coach connection, but good that business passengers are taken away first in a separate car. The flight is OK with snack and drink.
RouteParis to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"British Airways has declined badly"

Verified Review | Chicago to London Heathrow. Don't waste your money buying BA seat assignments in advance! I did that a month ago, at the same time as I made my booking, and paid for an aisle seat of my choice. When I went back one week before my journey, my aisle seat was gone and I was placed in an undesirable middle seat. There was no remedy for this. Five calls over three days to BA connected me to people in Delhi whose only vocabulary was unfortunately, sorry, and just no. I have been deceived, lied to, and put off. I have flown British many times; this is absolutely my last time. It is acceptable to make an error, but totally unacceptable to callously make no effort at all to rectify it. Take my advice, choose another airline. I am a OneWorld emerald flyer on AA, flew 200k miles last year, and I can tell good service from bad. British Airways has unfortunately declined badly.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteChicago to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"quality of British Airways has most certainly gone downhill"

Verified Review | The quality of British Airways has most certainly gone downhill. On short haul from London Heathrow to Rome it is nothing more than that of easyjet. Online check in was quick and easy, and terminal 5 is a delight however online check in is only available 24 hours before departure unlike easyjet which allows for check in 30 days prior to departure. That was the only good part of our journey. We boarded a packed old 767 which was decaying with the middle seat (E) so narrow it was impossible to get in and out of the seat in flight. (We were in row 13). Without notice, we had to go through de-icing which meant a 45min delay to our service (we did however catch up 35mins). Our inbound flight was on a newer A319 which had better seats and a skymap. Due to slot restrictions at Rome and London, this flight was also delayed. During both flights the new buy on board was poorly done, taking forever with a limited range of overpriced products. I therefore can only conclude that the airline that once one just 10 months ago offering meals on short haul flights as well as always being on time is now nothing more than a low cost carrier with older planes and a useless service. What a shame.
AircraftBoeing 767, A319