British Airways

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

I have flown in business class with BA on many occasions and found the service to be hit and miss. If you get an indifferent crew - which, in my experience, is not far off half the time - they want you to eat your dinner as fast as possible, go to sleep and not bother them any more. Once such a crew spot the blankets coming out they cease interest in you, never check on you, and leave you to ask for everything. I have never had that experience in business class with other airlines, for example Emirates, EVA or Lan Chile, quite the opposite. Anyway, BA were offering a special price to upgrade (cash only) to first on my Vancouver-Heathrow flight. I thought I'd try it. It was a waste of money. The first sign of trouble was the fact that I was not welcomed or addressed by name - an absolute must I think. Then the (male, and they tend to be the worst on BA, I am sorry to say) flight attendant came round handing out menus as though we were in economy - he just doled them out rather than hand them to, and speak to, each passenger in a personal manner. The wine selection didn't seem so very much better than business class and when I asked a specific question (flavour of champagne) the flight attendant didn't know the answer. I eat slowly and was still on my main course (lamb, and rather dry) when the dreaded time arrived for the blankets to make their appearance. I thought 'Oh no, surely not in first'. Well, I was wrong. I was left staring at my dirty plate and eventually had to summon the flight attendant and ask to see the menu for dessert. After that, unbelievably, I was abandoned again and, in protest, got up from my seat and went off in search of a crew member. I asked to speak to the cabin services director (female, delighful manner) who was full of apologies, of course, and off I went back to my seat. When I was finally given coffee, the flight attendant who brought it (another female) confided that BA don't have the staff numbers to pay the same attention to first or business passengers that some other airlines do, I couldn't believe my ears. As for the cabin, being in the nose of the 747,I felt cramped. The mood-changing lighting doesn't compensate for the dark, monotone blue of the seats and carpet. The in-light entertainment was to my surprise just the same as on the rest of the plane. I know this reads like a demolition job on BA but I have made no exaggerations. I really think Willie Walsh should don a false beard and shades and take a decent number of flights in business and first on his own planes. He'd find out for himself. I want BA to be the best and it simply isn't. Lastly, my experience of the hit and miss service of BA business class is shared by every other person I have ever mentioned it to. If you're flying BA stay in business class, you're not missing anything.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteVancouver to Heathrow

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 27th July 2015

This review is written due to what I feel is true reflection of the decline of a once great airline. Check in took 30 minutes as the agent was dealing with a couple and escorted them to the lounge and made us wait until he returned. The first class security lane was manned by the rudest staff I have ever come across. The lounge was fine, but it is looking tired. Service good and range of menu was broad and wines good. No priority boarding, had to queue in the airbridge for 10 minutes, no greeting at the door, no escort to seat, no jacket hung up and the seat was dirty (covered in crumbs and other such food). Opened two magazines both torn, ripped and in rag order. Staff very pleasant, professional, and very helpful. Food ok not First class, wines good. The entertainment system was broken and kept rebooting itself. The seat would not lie flat and hard to move. Bought on board duty free and asked would I need a sealed bag to bring it through to my connection told yes. Deplaned, no escort, no gate to go to, given wrong directions to the lounge. Had to clear immigration although not entering the UK, waited 45 minutes to be told duty free I bought on board could not go through I would need to go to check in although told the opposite on board. This was done, had to reclear security again, got to the lounge asked for a shower, told too busy. Connection flight was delayed by one hour, waited at the gate. Flight to Dublin short, salad served and tea. Priority bags were the last bags on the belt. Overall this is not first class, it is not even premium economy. I fly 12-14 times a year and gold level. BA you have lost your edge, I will stay loyal to Qatar, Emirates and Cathay Pacfic whose consistent hard wear and soft product is worth the money and deserves my business. My advice do not waste your money with BA, it's service cutting to the point of insult.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteNew York to Dublin via Heathrow

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

Quick online check-in and boarding passes with the BA mobile APP. It is so easy to use and definitely helps you to get rid of those annoying loose bits of paper from your cabin bags. Manchester Airport Terminal 3 is bursting at the seams during the summer holiday mornings. There's a severe lack of seats in this terminal but despite this, the security check didn't take too long at all. The BA ground staff at Manchester seemed friendly enough and boarded strictly in groups from the back of the aircraft to the front. This helps stop the queuing in the aisles onboard to get to your seat. We were greeted at the aircraft door by a couple of cheerful and friendly crew. The refreshed cabin now looks very modern, welcoming and clean. The comfort of the new seats and the space on this aircraft (A321) I feel would be more than sufficient for a flight of 2-3 hours or so (I'm 5ft 11"). With a fully loaded cabin and a flight time to Heathrow of just over 30 minutes the crew were quick into action. We were offered a hot breakfast bacon wrap, orange juice and tea or coffee, perfect for such a short flight and definitely helps set BA apart from the competition. The flight arrived into Terminal 5 a few minutes ahead of schedule and outside the UK Arrivals area less than ten minutes later.
RouteMAN-LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

I am a very frequent long haul traveller and although I will often choose the Asian carriers (e.g. Singapore Airlines, JAL, Cathay) over British Airways, being based in London means that I do often fly with BA. I find BA's long haul business class offering though innovative when it was launched in the 90s has now been way outclassed by many of its competitors. The seats don't quite lie flat (and it's not unusual to get a broken seat) and half the passengers have to go backwards and climb over other passengers to get out - I can't think of any other major airline that has this any more in business class. I am told by a BA contact that they considered changing the configuration for the A380s, but didn't in the end. Worst of all, I find the onboard service incredibly inconsistent - most often it's a little begrudging, occasionally it is excellent and sometimes it is downright awful. I was particularly annoyed at my customer service experience on a flight from LHR to Tokyo Haneda, when settling down in my seat, I looked down to find a dirty napkin, used earplugs and toothpick and significant quantities of broken glass around my feet (good job I hadn't taken my shoes off at this stage). My husband flagged down a member of cabin crew, who said she would come and clear it, but didn't. I flagged down the Cabin Services Director who did bring a dustpan and brush and said he would report it. Upon my return, I complained to BA. After three weeks, they deigned to reply, but it was on the lines of 'our cabins are always cleaned to the highest standards, we are sorry you didn't find this to your liking' - effectively implying that I was making a fuss over nothing.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Tokyo

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th July 2015

Booked for our trip to Uganda, in Feb 2015 we spent £1450 for 2 return tickets, had to pay an additional £100 to reserve seats on the flights. About 2 days ago I received a text message (not a call) saying that our flight had been cancelled - left us in the dark until I had to phone their 0844 number to get transferred to a Delhi call centre, when I was told I could get a full refund they tried to only refund me for the flights and not the seats on this now, non existant flight. I had to phone back a further 2 times to get through to someone that could understand that I did want my £100 as well. In a nutshell, I will not book with British Airways again,
RouteLondon to Entebbe

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

Flew Club Europe from Istanbul to Heathrow, excellent flight with quick and easy boarding. The service was as always to a high standard with a good selection of choices for the evening meal. Entertainment was OK for the flight. Nice touch being able to leave the plan first, it can make all of the difference for the lines at T5.
RouteIstambul to London Heathrow

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

Flew Club Europe to Istanul on 767, boarding was speedy and boarding completed quickly for an on time departure. The flight was excellent and the crew in Club Europe were as always providing excellent service and professional at all times. Although the 767 is showing its age, I still prefer this aircraft to the A320's which also are used on this route, on the 767 at least the Club Europe seats are comfortable and offer plenty of leg room unlike the new Club Europe which is used on the A320's which is in reality going back to the days of charter airlines! So come on British Airways lets go back to the old configurations where we have plenty of leg room in Club Europe and reduce the rows of seats, we do not want Low Cost Airline look alikes otherwise we would fly them, we choose BA because we are loyal to you so bring back your old standards once again.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Istanbul

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

BA seems to be losing its ability to run an airline. I have had 4 flights canclled in the last 3 months, 3 of them while I was at the gate. Every flight which does operate is delayed. Staff attitude is appallimg, they just don't seem to care. I have no compensation. My step daughter was deinied boarding due to BA overbooking. BA then messed up her rebooked flight and then lost her luggage. No apology and no compensation. Should their slogan be " Not to Fly, Not to Serve"?
RouteLondon to Faro

Review by (United Kingdom) 25th July 2015

Previously a loyal BA customer, I Usually travel economy on shorthaul but I am 6'4" with long legs and am very uncomfortable unless I can get Exit row. So on this flight I took advantage of a what I thought was a reasonably priced Club World ticket expecting the past 34 inch seat pitch. Horrified to find on boarding that BA have reduced the seat pitch to 30 inch - exactly the same as in economy. The presence of an empty middle seat and pathetic little table for your tablet computer is no compensation. Fortunately this was a short flight but even so I was extremely uncomfortable. Cabin staff and other passengers said there had been loads of complaints but clearly BA don't care. I sometimes go to Cyprus and the thought of a 4 hr+ flight in these cramped seats puts me off totally. The meal was passable but as the flight took off a couple of minutes before midday it was classed as "late breakfast" and no wine was served. It is clear that BA are putting profit over customer service and I am amazed that anyone travels Club Europe. Later in the year I was due to travel to South America via Madrid in Business Class but have now cancelled and switched to another airline. In future I will avoid BA shorthaul wherever possible.
RouteVerona to LGW

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd July 2015

Booked a hand luggage only fare at short notice so it was pricey. Allocated a decent seat but amazed at charge of €26 to change it so didn't bother. Flight seemed to be full of families split up probably for the same reason. A ripoff. Flight was late, usual excuse of late arrival from a previous flight. Flight deck crew affable. Food and drink good and free, a bonus. Cabin attendants, an older purser up front a bit patronising. The two in economy were really going through the motions, no eye contact and perfunctory service. 1 drink served in a 2.5 hour flight. For the last hour the two at the back were eating Club Europe meals which I saw them bring from the front. This was BA2591 on 22 July. Not great.
RouteBari to Gatwick