Vote Now

British Airways

"comfortable economy seat"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Cape Town. This journey was a very pleasant surprise. I didn't expect great service and was not disappointed. I didn't expect great food or wine and was not disappointed. I didn't expect a comfortable economy seat and was pleasantly surprised. This was an older 777 with a 3-3-3 configuration (31" seat pitch) in economy and comfortable seats. I flew to South Africa this time last year with Virgin on their new B787 and it was a nightmare. The comfort of seat on a long haul is far more important to me that anything else and this was a far more pleasant experience than I had expected.
RouteGatwick to Cape Town
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"decision to downgrade service"

Verified Review | Toronto to London in premium economy. Easy check in and fast track security meant I was in the lounge within 15 mins. Unfortunately, they were clearing up and restocking from the earlier flight. Poor choice of stale sandwiches and soup on it's last legs. I let the front desk know, and the staff made me a fresh sandwich. Also, beers had changed with 5 lagers and Newcastle Brown. The Manager fetched some IPA from the first lounge - some really good customer service which is typical in this lounge. The most disorganised boarding ever with few PAs. Onboard, juice or water offered. I asked for sparking wine but it's only done on flights from London - (crew explained it can't be chilled at outstations - (poor excuse given they do it for Club and First). Fast service after take off with an ok entree. Poor salad, and a nasty dry piece of cake. IFE was the same as my trip over Christmas so it seems the IFE is updated less often. Tea, coffee and juice offered before landing. But no muffin or even a biscuit - really poor. Prompt disembarking and bags beat me to the baggage belt. Return a week later was a better flight. Easy check in again and no fast track queue. North Lounge was an average experience, ok choice of sandwiches but not particularly clean and in need of a refresh. Bused to aircraft, a Boeing 787-9, with premium economy only half full. A half glass of prosecco was offered and a requested top up was forgotten. Fast bar service by excellent cabin crew who offered good customer service. An ok meal with a rancid coleslaw, ok steak and a tiny pot of desert. Generous with the drinks. Unfortunately, the dropping of afternoon tea at the back is inexplicable and really poor judgement by BA. I was offered T&Cs plus a breakfast bar or malt loaf finger. The crew were genuinely embarrassed (a couple of sandwiches I liberated from the club lounge made up for it). Fast off the plane, and despite slow immigration, the bags beat me again. Overall the flight was ok but certainly not up to the standard of premium economy on competitors. The meal is nowhere near Club standard and its the cutting of the small things - nibbles, breakfast and afternoon tea which irk me the most. Be competitive but don't take it out on me! I wouldn't mind but the prices don't go down with the reduction of service. Despite what the CEO maintains - it is not in response to customer feedback. BA need to listen to what we're saying and take a long hard look at their conscious decision to downgrade service and become as bad as the budget airlines. Eventually the hardiest of us loyal BA customers will give up and move airline / alliance and that would be a shame.
AircraftBoeing 787-8 / 787-9
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"no better than no frills competitors"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Stuttgart. Fly in comfort and style is the slogan of British Airways, but there is not much of either around these days. Not willing to pay an extra £8, I was allocated a middle seat right at the rear. At the gate an announcement was made for volunteers to check in their hand-luggage "at no extra cost". Within a minute a burly employee told me I had to check in my cabin bag, saying "you should not believe what is said on the company's website". How very true! Some ten other passengers, equally perplexed suffered the same fate. I know there were ten, because another employee kept counting us and saying "we need ten". The burly employee was later to be found on the airbridge to make sure that we really did hand over our cabin bags. All in all a demeaning experience. The seat rows are now more tightly packed than before. Although of average slim build, I found the seat a tight fit. Only a few passengers took up the offer to purchase food or drink (the deceptive "upgrade" we were sold at the beginning of the year). But still, did not reach the back of the plane until shortly before landing. Not only have the complimentary food and drink disappeared, but also newspapers and priority boarding for those of us who are frequent flyers. On the return journey I noticed part of the reason for this new policy: the Stuttgart ground staff have now been replaced by agency staff. BA is now no better than the no frills competitors, but keeps the facade of a full service airline with full service prices. A loyal customer of many, many years, I will choose their competitors in future.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Stuttgart

"professional and friendly"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Las Vegas, and a great journey. The flight was on time and staff were professional and friendly. The inflight meals were tasty and the portions of a good size. Although the seats are a bit narrow, they were comfortable and the leg room was adequate. Facilities on the plane were clean. Would definitely fly BA again.
RouteLondon to Las Vegas
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"on a race to the bottom"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Rome return. Race to the bottom. My first time with the new buy onboard service. I was not happy when they announced this and this flight confirmed my disappointment. Basically it does not work. I can understand in some ways why they decided to offer a wide range of food options. I would have accepted this if they had kept the free drinks. Even soft drinks are chargeable - I don't think this is acceptable. However, despite the extensive menu, there was an extremely limited selection available. One crew member came round soon after the flight took off and took orders for hot food. There was a 20-25 minute wait time for this. The crew then came around with the drinks trolley. This was extremely slow. The payments could only be made with credit cards or Avios points. The payment added significant times to process. Despite sitting 3 rows from the front of the cabin, we didn't get our drinks until 30 minutes after they started. There was only the one trolley, and they were still serving the rear of the cabin as we were starting our decent. CEO Alex Cruz and British Airways - your airline used to distinguish itself from the competition but you are on a race to the bottom - more rows in economy, 10 abreast in some 777's and other cost cutting measures mean that even though I'm a Silver Exec club member I am now considering my future travel options. I live near Manchester Airport and KLM/Air France and Lufthansa are more attractive options.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Rome
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"treats customers with such contempt"

Verified Review | Edinburgh to London City. Despite having a confirmed booking, when I attempted to check-in with a prepaid-for bag at 1535 at the EDI airport for a 1655 flight to LCY (domestic flight) I was told I couldn’t as the flight had been oversold. I accepted an offer to switch to a later flight on the same route with Flybe and take compensation but then was told the compensation couldn’t be authorised so I had to ‘wait’. I then stood around for 10 minutes, being asked to ‘move out of the way’ at one point because I was blocking others. I was not given a copy of the compensation scheme details (despite what the BA website claims should be done) and the staff seemed unclear of it themselves. I was simply ignored until I approached the desk again and insisted to speak to a supervisor. None was available nor could be contacted, apparently. I wasn’t allowed to transfer to the Flybe flight “in case” a seat became available on my original flight, so they tagged my luggage but did not check it in. I was told to wait for another 20 minutes. I argued this was not fair to leave me in limbo given I had a confirmed booking in the first place but I was basically ignored and informed this flight is regularly oversold and it’s not their problem that other people had checked-in before me. I was treated as a nuisance. At one point, there were 5 members of BA check in staff doing nothing (nobody else to serve) whilst I was just standing silently there ‘waiting’ and being ignored. After 20 minutes of not knowing what to do, my original flight closed and I was approached by a supervisor (who suddenly was available to talk to me) and given a seat. I asked how it was that a seat has magically appeared if earlier I had been told the flight was already full with no seats available. He explained that the seats had been prepaid for by others who had then not checked in, and as the check-in was closing, they could give me the seat now. I informed him that I resented having been treated rudely by his staff earlier (though the supervisor himself was professional and courteous) and that his staff are untrained to deal with overbookings. I had done nothing wrong to deserve being treated so shabbily, like a problem rather than a customer. I then had a predictably stressful rush through security to ensure I was not denied boarding at the gate for being late (even though I had arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare originally, especially for a domestic flight). As I told the supervisor, if the airline treats its customers with such contempt, do not be surprised that the public ends up viewing the airline with contempt. Under their current policy of overbooking, passengers who do not pay more to reserve a seat in advance are at risk of not getting a seat at all, even though they have a confirmed booking. Some would call this cheating. The saving grace of the experience was that the flight was punctual, and unlike mainline BA, this route is run by its subsidiary BA CityFlyer which still offers complimentary drinks and a snack for which the cabin crew service was efficient. I rate it 2 out of 10 for the stress incurred in checking in.
AircraftEmbraer 170
RouteEdinburgh to London City
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I was highly disappointed"

(Ghana)

Verified Review | Accra to London Heathrow on BA is a 6 hr 50 min overnight flight. Sleeping on overnight flights in economy class is an ordeal in itself, bit I was highly disappointed that more than an hour before landing - we had just entered French airspace - all cabin lights were put on bright for the breakfast/snack service (following the dinner after take-of in Accra): the more since this service consisted of a cup of tea or coffee (or cold drink) only. Not even a biscuit was offered. I was shocked.
RouteAccra to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Short-sighted management or what?"

Verified Review | This a tale of two airlines and their individual approaches to Business Class passengers. We were flying to Mauritius on holiday and I felt, given the flying time, we should spoil ourselves and fly up-front with all the 'comparative' comfort of Business Class. The British Airways flight itself was okay, the crew friendly and the cabin worked fine. However, I was totally shocked by the standards of catering in the Gatwick Lounge (a small issue for some perhaps, but for me, it's all part of the Business Class experience). To illustrate my point, I attach a shot of what Walsh's policy of putting shareholders first actually means for fare-paying passengers. With the very confusing layout that greets one in the South Terminal now that BA have moved in, the 'serve yourself' check-in (you even label your own bags!). I was pretty frustrated by the time we actually found the 'Lounge'. But then to be greeted with this, was totally unacceptable. So, Willie, rather than screwing down costs for the benefit of your shareholders, this sort of display of overt cost-cutting has now lost you revenue for the future. Short-sighted management or what? Take a lesson from Emirates who I decided to fly home with, so disgusted was I over our experience. They put passengers first!
RouteLondon Gatwick to Mauritius

"a reasonable experience"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Vancouver return.Both flights were punctual but sadly the 747-400 aircraft used are now beginning to look their 20 plus years of age, especially compared to the A380s BA have used on this route. The cabin is looking rather tired and worn and the seats are not comfortable enough for a 9 hour flight. I was very pleased to have booked an exit row seat for additional room. The IFE system is also quite dated and limited compared to modern offerings. On the plus side the cabin staff were friendly, helpful and courteous and this is somewhere BA seem to do well. Food and drink were complimentary and of decent quality for economy class. Boarding at YVR was very well organised, less so at the Heathrow end. It is also a shame that these flights depart from the cramped Terminal 3 at Heathrow. Overall a reasonable experience, but one that they could improve to excellent with a bit more polish.
RouteLondon to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Flight barely a quarter full"

Verified Review | Return trip from Washington Dulles to London Heathrow. Flight was barely a quarter full. Going to Washington flight was probably only about a third full. Attendants said it was the quietest they had every seen. Given that I was on an A380 it really did look empty. Food and service was good both ways and the aircraft was only a couple of years old. Plenty of room on the downstairs cabin and the overhead lockers seemed larger than any other airliner I'd flown on. I was given an exit row seat which was very welcome. BA usually charge £58 for this seat. It meant about 5 foot of legroom and because the next cabin in front was business class the toilets were curtained off for the entire flight meaning the area was very quiet. No real gripes although the "snack" served about an hour before landing has been downgraded from a small meal to a tiny Twix chocolate and a cup of coffee. Flight cost £430 and using some airmiles I knocked this down to £330. Loads of interactive channels to watch but films weren't the best but that's a personal thing.
RouteWashington to London