British Airways

Review by (Australia) 1st August 2015

The staff were great, food was pretty good, their seating policy is a sham. For that reason I'd never fly with BA again. I have issues with arthritis and they changed my Aisle seat to a window seat at the last moment and I had to endure no room to move for most of our flight from London to Sydney.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Singapore

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st July 2015

Short trip to Vienna in BA Economy Class from Terminal 3. New A320 cabin on the flight out - looks nice and fairly comfortable for a couple of hours. Other than the cheap, highly processed cheese and ham croissant and a coffee you are given it is no different to a low cost airline. Staff service minimal - they served breakfast and collected the leftovers, basically in the cabin twice during the entire 2 hour and 10 minute flight - not even an additional beverage service. I'm sure if they were flogging the drinks it would be different. Return a couple of days later, older aircraft but clean. Same indifferent service, similar processed carbs handed out in silence and 1 drink. This wasn't a cheap ticket (over 200GBP) - I know BA are competing with low cost airlines in Europe but when are they going to realise they aren't a low cost airline? A bit of chat from the staff and a couple of extra coffees would have made all difference to how I felt leaving those flights. BA sadly seem to be falling behind the crowd.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteHeathrow to Vienna

Review by (South Africa) 31st July 2015

British Airways Business Class product has not really changed over the last 15 years, and they are now far behind competition in seat comfort (half of the passengers must still fly facing backwards) and entertainment. What once made BA a great airline was the cabin crew who treated their passengers like guests. Unfortunately, they are slowly retiring and replaced by younger employees who could care or less about high revenue passengers. On this particular flight, the cabin was half full, but the crew rushed the service to an extent I have never seen before: the pre-dinner drinks were served, and less than 5 minutes later, I was served the first course. I did not even start the salad when the plate was taken away and I was presented with a beef fillet that was totally overcooked. Ten minutes later, the trays were taken away, and the lights dimmed. We did not see the crew again for the next 9 hours, and no water or juice were ever served. Unfortunately BA has the only non-stop flight between Cape Town and London, but next time I will fly Emirates via Dubai even if that means adding 4 hours to the trip.
RouteCape Town to London

Review by (South Korea) 29th July 2015

Had a very unpleasant experience with BA this time. They changed our family seats without warning. First time flying with two babies, booked the ticket and reserved two seats together sitting together with husband. Both babies are lap seat. Two days before the flight I called the BA service to make sure our seats and ticket are all fine and got a positive answer. On the day of boarding found out out seats are moved apart. For 12 hours flight, our family seats are arranged far apart. After more than 40 minutes standing at the counter waiting for the coordination, we could sit across the aisle when we get on the plane. No food for my 2 year old. If we are not allowed to bring food onto the plane, what do BA expect baby can eat? No help from staff with any service. When babies are crying and very restless we didn't get any help from BA staff. When I flew with other airlines, flight attendant brought small toys to help distract and entertain baby. BA forgot to unload out stroller when we landed.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSeoul to London

Review by (Switzerland) 29th July 2015

This was my return flight of my trip in the USA. From Europe to the USA we had an Airbus A380 which was modern and quite enjoyable to fly. My return flight was on a Boeing 747. The aircraft was quite old with seats which weren't so comfortable but at least fully OK. The flight was good, cabin crew were friendly, sometimes absent in the cabin and not very happy when you asked them something. The food was OK, not gastronomic but acceptable in an economy class. We had delays of 35 minutes by landing, so the flight were quite on time, though that the longest delay was due of an engine problem. I recommend British Airways even for short flights (if you book early and fares not too high) than for longer ones. One reason more is that connections in Heathrow are easy when you have two BA flights, transfer done in 35mins.
AircraftBoeing 747 and A320
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteSan Francisco to Zurich via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th July 2015

I have flown in business class with BA on many occasions and found the service to be hit and miss. If you get an indifferent crew - which, in my experience, is not far off half the time - they want you to eat your dinner as fast as possible, go to sleep and not bother them any more. Once such a crew spot the blankets coming out they cease interest in you, never check on you, and leave you to ask for everything. I have never had that experience in business class with other airlines, for example Emirates, EVA or Lan Chile, quite the opposite. Anyway, BA were offering a special price to upgrade (cash only) to first on my Vancouver-Heathrow flight. I thought I'd try it. It was a waste of money. The first sign of trouble was the fact that I was not welcomed or addressed by name - an absolute must I think. Then the (male, and they tend to be the worst on BA, I am sorry to say) flight attendant came round handing out menus as though we were in economy - he just doled them out rather than hand them to, and speak to, each passenger in a personal manner. The wine selection didn't seem so very much better than business class and when I asked a specific question (flavour of champagne) the flight attendant didn't know the answer. I eat slowly and was still on my main course (lamb, and rather dry) when the dreaded time arrived for the blankets to make their appearance. I thought 'Oh no, surely not in first'. Well, I was wrong. I was left staring at my dirty plate and eventually had to summon the flight attendant and ask to see the menu for dessert. After that, unbelievably, I was abandoned again and, in protest, got up from my seat and went off in search of a crew member. I asked to speak to the cabin services director (female, delighful manner) who was full of apologies, of course, and off I went back to my seat. When I was finally given coffee, the flight attendant who brought it (another female) confided that BA don't have the staff numbers to pay the same attention to first or business passengers that some other airlines do, I couldn't believe my ears. As for the cabin, being in the nose of the 747,I felt cramped. The mood-changing lighting doesn't compensate for the dark, monotone blue of the seats and carpet. The in-light entertainment was to my surprise just the same as on the rest of the plane. I know this reads like a demolition job on BA but I have made no exaggerations. I really think Willie Walsh should don a false beard and shades and take a decent number of flights in business and first on his own planes. He'd find out for himself. I want BA to be the best and it simply isn't. Lastly, my experience of the hit and miss service of BA business class is shared by every other person I have ever mentioned it to. If you're flying BA stay in business class, you're not missing anything.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteVancouver to Heathrow

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 27th July 2015

This review is written due to what I feel is true reflection of the decline of a once great airline. Check in took 30 minutes as the agent was dealing with a couple and escorted them to the lounge and made us wait until he returned. The first class security lane was manned by the rudest staff I have ever come across. The lounge was fine, but it is looking tired. Service good and range of menu was broad and wines good. No priority boarding, had to queue in the airbridge for 10 minutes, no greeting at the door, no escort to seat, no jacket hung up and the seat was dirty (covered in crumbs and other such food). Opened two magazines both torn, ripped and in rag order. Staff very pleasant, professional, and very helpful. Food ok not First class, wines good. The entertainment system was broken and kept rebooting itself. The seat would not lie flat and hard to move. Bought on board duty free and asked would I need a sealed bag to bring it through to my connection told yes. Deplaned, no escort, no gate to go to, given wrong directions to the lounge. Had to clear immigration although not entering the UK, waited 45 minutes to be told duty free I bought on board could not go through I would need to go to check in although told the opposite on board. This was done, had to reclear security again, got to the lounge asked for a shower, told too busy. Connection flight was delayed by one hour, waited at the gate. Flight to Dublin short, salad served and tea. Priority bags were the last bags on the belt. Overall this is not first class, it is not even premium economy. I fly 12-14 times a year and gold level. BA you have lost your edge, I will stay loyal to Qatar, Emirates and Cathay Pacfic whose consistent hard wear and soft product is worth the money and deserves my business. My advice do not waste your money with BA, it's service cutting to the point of insult.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteNew York to Dublin via Heathrow

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

Quick online check-in and boarding passes with the BA mobile APP. It is so easy to use and definitely helps you to get rid of those annoying loose bits of paper from your cabin bags. Manchester Airport Terminal 3 is bursting at the seams during the summer holiday mornings. There's a severe lack of seats in this terminal but despite this, the security check didn't take too long at all. The BA ground staff at Manchester seemed friendly enough and boarded strictly in groups from the back of the aircraft to the front. This helps stop the queuing in the aisles onboard to get to your seat. We were greeted at the aircraft door by a couple of cheerful and friendly crew. The refreshed cabin now looks very modern, welcoming and clean. The comfort of the new seats and the space on this aircraft (A321) I feel would be more than sufficient for a flight of 2-3 hours or so (I'm 5ft 11"). With a fully loaded cabin and a flight time to Heathrow of just over 30 minutes the crew were quick into action. We were offered a hot breakfast bacon wrap, orange juice and tea or coffee, perfect for such a short flight and definitely helps set BA apart from the competition. The flight arrived into Terminal 5 a few minutes ahead of schedule and outside the UK Arrivals area less than ten minutes later.
RouteMAN-LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 27th July 2015

I am a very frequent long haul traveller and although I will often choose the Asian carriers (e.g. Singapore Airlines, JAL, Cathay) over British Airways, being based in London means that I do often fly with BA. I find BA's long haul business class offering though innovative when it was launched in the 90s has now been way outclassed by many of its competitors. The seats don't quite lie flat (and it's not unusual to get a broken seat) and half the passengers have to go backwards and climb over other passengers to get out - I can't think of any other major airline that has this any more in business class. I am told by a BA contact that they considered changing the configuration for the A380s, but didn't in the end. Worst of all, I find the onboard service incredibly inconsistent - most often it's a little begrudging, occasionally it is excellent and sometimes it is downright awful. I was particularly annoyed at my customer service experience on a flight from LHR to Tokyo Haneda, when settling down in my seat, I looked down to find a dirty napkin, used earplugs and toothpick and significant quantities of broken glass around my feet (good job I hadn't taken my shoes off at this stage). My husband flagged down a member of cabin crew, who said she would come and clear it, but didn't. I flagged down the Cabin Services Director who did bring a dustpan and brush and said he would report it. Upon my return, I complained to BA. After three weeks, they deigned to reply, but it was on the lines of 'our cabins are always cleaned to the highest standards, we are sorry you didn't find this to your liking' - effectively implying that I was making a fuss over nothing.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Tokyo

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th July 2015

Booked for our trip to Uganda, in Feb 2015 we spent £1450 for 2 return tickets, had to pay an additional £100 to reserve seats on the flights. About 2 days ago I received a text message (not a call) saying that our flight had been cancelled - left us in the dark until I had to phone their 0844 number to get transferred to a Delhi call centre, when I was told I could get a full refund they tried to only refund me for the flights and not the seats on this now, non existant flight. I had to phone back a further 2 times to get through to someone that could understand that I did want my £100 as well. In a nutshell, I will not book with British Airways again,
RouteLondon to Entebbe