British Airways

Review by (Canada) 4th July 2015

As a frequent flyer on various airlines, British Airways is by far the worst I have experienced. Substandard customer service even before the flight. My original plan was to fly from Toronto to Rome via London on July 2nd. Three tickets were purchased and confirmed in March. Two weeks before departure, an email was sent to me altering my flight from London to Rome. I called and waited on the service hotline - I was able to get myself on one flight and my parents on another. The rep refused to try to put me together with my parents. Less than 48 hours before departure my rescheduled flight was rerouted to Naples. The agent told me all extra travel expenses would be my own. On the day of departure I got my flight from Gatwick to Rome after rushing from Heathrow. I was told initially the flight was rerouted to Naples and just before departure this reverted back to a direct flight to Rome - very confusing communication. I arrived in Rome to discover my parents flight was delayed for four hours. With more BA flights arriving into the terminal, the service desk was closed before my flight even arrived. There are no BA reps anywhere to seek assistance.
RouteToronto to Rome via London

Review by (Singapore) 3rd July 2015

My family and I flew from Rotterdam to London on 26th of June, and it's our first time traveling with BA. We chose it as we thought this airlines would be better than budget airlines with constant delays. We were very wrong. We arrived at the airport on time and sat down to wait. BA announced flight delays due to "technical" error for 1.5 hours before finally announcing that the flight was cancelled. We were given no explanation except for one phrase "technical fault". We were then unceremoniously sent back to queue in line to be rescheduled. We waited another 45 mins and was then transferred to a 7.20pm flight (original was 1.05pm). We were denied all chances to board an earlier one at 4pm. We did not complain or gave BA any trouble. We followed procedures and applied for compensation online. Their reply was simply a sorry and they denied all responsibilities.
RouteRotterdam to London

Review by (Thailand) 3rd July 2015

Returning from Chicago to Berlin, the overall flight experience was no better than the outward sectors a week earlier. I opted to skip dinner and instead have breakfast since the flight landed around 10:00. Breakfast was a hard slab of cake with one drink - a total disgrace! Once again the cabin was too warm and I saw no passengers using their blankets. The Berlin flight ex-LHR was delayed, initially due to the usual "late incoming aircraft" excuse, and then to a broken APU. So no air was being pumped in to the cabin and the engines could not be started! For some reason it then took half an hour to locate one that did actually work. Meanwhile on one of the hottest days of the year we waited on board in increasingly sauna-like conditions. The captain kept us informed and then made up a bit if time, although we still landed 35 minutes late.
AircraftB777-300 / A319
RouteChicago to Berlin via London Heathrow

Review by (Hong Kong) 2nd July 2015

My experience chimes with the general consensus on the Club World service LHR-JFK. Cabin, seats and fittings are showing their age and look rather shabby by this point. Not too clean, red wine spills on my foot rest when I boarded. Tiny screen and IFE looked dated, not great entertainment selection. The food quality was good but service from cabin crew was rather indifferent with little attempt to make it a special dining experience. Nuts and chocolates served in packets, not bowls. Not attentive over providing drinks refills or water. I wasnt offered all of the items listed on the menu - where did my fruit and cheese platter go? Had to ask for coffee/tea refills after the meal. Brewed coffee only - no fresh lattes/cappuccinos. Was not offered disgestifs after the meal. Cabin crew disappeared after the meal. Self service snacks in the galley were economy quality (apart from some nice rose champagne). Just not a luxury or experience! Felt like I was in economy but with more space and food.
RouteLHR to JFK

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

On this occasion my partner and I experienced a 3.5 hour delay with BA. There was no communication at the airport, nothing until we got onto the plane where the captain told us delays were due to a bag that had not been checked in correctly at Heathrow. Because of the delay when the plane finally arrived it had no water on board and was not permitted to fill up at our destination. This meant disgusting toilets because of no flush and no warm drinks on board. We were sat on the runway for an hour because the engines would not start. We had no aircon for 40 mins. When we finally got back to Heathrow the captain told us that he was sorry for the issues.
RouteHeathrow to Ibiza

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st July 2015

Boarding well organised and efficient. Seated in World Traveller on the upper deck. 2x4x2 on this deck is preferable to the 3x4x3 on the lower deck. Flight attendants welcome customers on board and service was friendly and professional. Seat fairly comfortable. Legroom standard for economy. IFE excellent; a huge range of entertainment options. The disappointment was lunch. The chicken casserole was basically a few pieces of chicken swimming in oil with a few vegetables. Very poor. Afternoon tea, on the other hand, was nice.
RouteLondon to Los Angesles

Review by (Canada) 30th June 2015

YUL to FCO and BCN to YUL. PTV on each for e long haul planes, entertainment did the job and it was activated when I boarded the aircraft. The food was ok except on the return flight from London to Montreal where the chicken was dry. No flight delays on outbound journey but 3 hour delay on the return flight where the aircraft has to be changed due to the mechanical problem.
RouteYUL to FCO via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

Our night flight was delayed by nearly an hour; not the fault of the airline but a contributory factor to our disappointment with BA on this flight (17th June 2015). We paid extra for our Premium Economy tickets, then extra again to reserve seats, and past experience with BA and with equivalent seats/service on Virgin Atlantic had led us to expect value for money and some small rewards for the extra costs. Not this flight, however, where the only real benefit appeared to be a small amount of extra legroom. We were last to board after First, Business and Economy. Where customers in Premium Economy used to be greeted with the choice of a glass of fizz or orange juice, now it is water or juice. Once we had taken off, drinks were served; fine, but when the steward came to collect the empty glass/bottle, he knocked the glass onto the floor, where it broke - the staff were all rushed and seemed to be short on numbers perhaps? I was made to feel that the breakage was my fault! Dinner did not arrive until after 11pm, by which time I had rather lost interest, as had my partner. So far, our extra costs had bought us extra leg room and one glass of wine (I was not offered a second, possibly because of my crime of causing the steward to break a glass). Overnight, by contrast to other night flights, the lights were never fully dimmed; there were no offers of water/orange juice to prevent dehydration. The promised (on the menu card) morning 'light snack' and coffee/tea/fruit juice was a hastily delivered piece of dried-up cake and a weak coffee - no mention of fruit juice. I couldn't really see what my extra costs were getting me that those in Economy had for less - the extra leg room was rather negated by the passenger in front's fully reclined seat. I will not, if at all possible, be travelling with BA again. It left a rather sour taste at the end of our holiday.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteWashington DC to Heathrow

Review by (Thailand) 28th June 2015

Check in at Tegel was a disaster and ludicrously (for it has a lot of BA flights) I was told there are no BA staff at that airport to sort out problems. 100 minutes prior to departure, 2 check in desks were open - 1 business, 1 economy. As a BA Silver card holder, I joined the business queue. First one lady had considerably too much baggage. The arguments went on for more than 10 minutes before she paid the extra fees. Then the technical crew for a pop event the previous day had to be checked in. Not only were some of their 20 or so items very overweight, others were way too large. After 20 more minutes I asked a young lady why the other business passengers could not be processed at the economy desk. This was not possible, I was told. Eventually another economy desk opened; yet our queue remained immobile for a further 15 minutes. Finally after more than 40 minutes, someone decided we could be processed at an economy desk after all! Looking forward to a drink in the lounge, I then discover there is no lounge airside. As for the LHR-ORD flight, I have been spoiled with business class intercontinental travel since business class was introduced. To board an international carrier and discover a seat pitch of just 31" was a major shock. This is like travelling long haul on a budget carrier only at considerably greater cost. The worst part was the cabin was kept at an extremely warm temperature throughout despite requests for the captain to reduce it to a more reasonable level. The meal was OK and the IFE had a decent selection of movies. But overall, the flight was hugely uncomfortable. With some other carriers still offering a seat pitch greater than 31", BA has lost my future business.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 777-300
RouteBerlin to Chicago via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 28th June 2015

After my flight to Vienna with BA I was hoping for a slight improvement on the way back - however the service was very boring. Drink service was rushed with the stewardess pouring an entire miniature of vodka into a drink before putting a drop of Tomato juice in when I asked for a Tomato and Vodka - unpalatable. Was glad to be off the plane in all fairness. Hoping that one day BA will wow me.
RouteVienna to London