British Airways

Review by (Switzerland) 3rd August 2015

BA shorthaul Business Class is now nothing more than a con. The seat is the same size as in Economy, barely 29 inch seat pitch, so no extra legroom for the extra money being paid. The middle seat is blocked, but they then go and stick a table in it making it not only hard to get in and out of the window seat, but also no thought to emergency evacuation situations as it is alomst impossible to collapse the seat down - it took 3 FAs when I asked them and almost 10 minutes. Why does BA put these awful tables in? Nobody uses them and when I complained to BA, I was told "don't sit in a window seat" - what sort of Customer Relations is that. Never again BA Business Class shorthaul for me, I have flown many years with them including holding a FF Gold Card for 3 years and numerous Silver Cards. As I said at the beginning - nothing more than a con.
RouteLHR to ZRH

Review by (United Kingdom) 3rd August 2015

What has happened to BA in recent years? It has been a long time since I ventured onto their long haul flights, and after this trip I will steer very clear again and stay with Cathay Pacific and Japan Airlines. Airport service in Narita is always good - because it is not BA providing the service. But for the rest of the trip, simply awful. The seats (that were introduced back in the era of the only BA boss to improve things) are cramped, claustrophobic and very unpleasant on a long haul flight. Because of the seat design, there is an economy class meal style service rather than the table service that most of the "good" airlines now offer in Business class. The cabin staff were frankly laughable, sadly with the exception of a charming and attentive Japanese FA. British Airways is trading off a very distant reputation, and it seems that most British customers select them simply because they are British - anyone that travels a reasonable amount will know that BA is now well down the quality list, and it is about time Skytrax downgraded them to 3-Star Airline maximum - they do not meet 4-Star. BA markets itself as this slick, British style, when the reality is that they are a substandard member of oneworld now, and should be avoided if you have a proper choice of airline - many UK companies and UK departments stipulate BA as a No 1 choice, and frankly they are throwing their money down the pan. If you're proud to be British, I would recommend you give BA a wake-up call and avoid this very poor airline until they wake up and improve standards. As a closing point, I recently travelled China Southern Airlines on my outbound sector to Guangzhou, and they are streets ahead of BA in almost every element, excepting some language skills.
RouteTokyo Narita to London

Review by (United Kingdom) 2nd August 2015

After 7 flight changes we took off to LHR which I was pleased about given that so many of the shuttles our friends have tried to travel on have previously just been cancelled. The aircraft from LHR had seen better days and I did wonder if we were in PE given other airlines we had travelled with. I would say categorically that it was not worth the extra hike. Just book economy with extra leg room. Given we used BA's partner airline AA which was awful and given the chap next to me had his family flight to Canada cancelled by BA and had to go a day early, via NY, I would never book with BA. Staff on board were excellent.
RouteManchester to San Fran via London

Review by (United States) 1st August 2015

Considering BA's fares were high to begin with and you had to purchase your seats to secure in advance we still booked on the advice of our British son in law. Plane is so large takes a long time to board and disembark. We flew Premium Economy, seats are bigger and have leg room but they're not comfortable for some reason. Flight crew was fine and professional. Inflight entertainment was fine but new movie selection was small. Cabin and seats were clean and neat. Inflight kit consisted of socks, ear plugs, mask, pen and tiny toothpaste and brush. They offer pillows and blankets. But although the seats are wider, they weren't easy to get in and out of, and not just us a number of passengers contorted just to get out. The meals were fine, though served on a tiny tray loaded with food, the meal was pretty good. Not a lot of choices, to London, beef or pasta, from London back to LA, it was beef or fish. It was hot and there was a lot of food, a salad, small cheese and crackers. Roll butter and dessert but I'm not sure I'd say it was what BA's advertisement claims. It didn't feel it was a premium meal. They also served snacks but it was flashed on the overhead with no explanation of where to go to get the snacks. The entire plane was dark. The second meal was a breakfast, but not especially appealing. On the return to LA, it was a very odd casserole, rather dry and bland. The flight was smooth and arrived on time, coming back we were an hour late waiting as the pilot informed us of sixty passengers arriving late from Germany. They lost one of our suitcases enroute, we arrived on Thursday afternoon, the bag was delivered late Friday night to our hotel, no offer to help with expense of having to buy what was needed until bag was found. Not even an email or text, we finally asked the hotel who said it arrived midnight Friday, we weren't notified by BA until Saturday afternoon. We ended up spending quite a lot buying shirts, underwear and shorts to get by. If we'd known they had found the bag we wouldn't have spent the money. Poor communication on their part. Not an apology or sorry for the inconvenience. I guess they figured we should be grateful we got the bag at all. I doubt we'd fly BA again sadly I'd hoped for something special.
RouteLos Angeles to Milan via LHR

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2015

We flew Business Class to Vienna on the 28/7/15, Terminal 3 is a dismal place and the lounge reflected this. There was very poor food choices and everything was tired including the staff. The outward journey was okay, flight attendant was pleasant. I think the meal choices could be improved - these tickets are not cheap. However the return flight (31/7/15) which was in economy - also not cheap, was not good at all. The attitude of the staff was really below par. The food choice was an iced bun and a chicken/bacon bun. Seeing the choice I asked for the vegetarian option-Couscous with a few slices of pepper - all of which were tasteless. When asked would I like a drink I replied - Bloody Mary. I should have known better, as this was the attendant who having to do a live safety demo chewed and smirked the whole way through, produced the drink without any WS. I asked if I could have some and then watched him add a good 1cm to the drink - turning the tomato juice a dark brown. BA need to remember we as the customers pay their wages.
RouteLondon to Vienna

Review by (Australia) 1st August 2015

The staff were great, food was pretty good, their seating policy is a sham. For that reason I'd never fly with BA again. I have issues with arthritis and they changed my Aisle seat to a window seat at the last moment and I had to endure no room to move for most of our flight from London to Sydney.
RouteLondon to Sydney via Singapore

Review by (United Kingdom) 31st July 2015

Short trip to Vienna in BA Economy Class from Terminal 3. New A320 cabin on the flight out - looks nice and fairly comfortable for a couple of hours. Other than the cheap, highly processed cheese and ham croissant and a coffee you are given it is no different to a low cost airline. Staff service minimal - they served breakfast and collected the leftovers, basically in the cabin twice during the entire 2 hour and 10 minute flight - not even an additional beverage service. I'm sure if they were flogging the drinks it would be different. Return a couple of days later, older aircraft but clean. Same indifferent service, similar processed carbs handed out in silence and 1 drink. This wasn't a cheap ticket (over 200GBP) - I know BA are competing with low cost airlines in Europe but when are they going to realise they aren't a low cost airline? A bit of chat from the staff and a couple of extra coffees would have made all difference to how I felt leaving those flights. BA sadly seem to be falling behind the crowd.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteHeathrow to Vienna

Review by (South Africa) 31st July 2015

British Airways Business Class product has not really changed over the last 15 years, and they are now far behind competition in seat comfort (half of the passengers must still fly facing backwards) and entertainment. What once made BA a great airline was the cabin crew who treated their passengers like guests. Unfortunately, they are slowly retiring and replaced by younger employees who could care or less about high revenue passengers. On this particular flight, the cabin was half full, but the crew rushed the service to an extent I have never seen before: the pre-dinner drinks were served, and less than 5 minutes later, I was served the first course. I did not even start the salad when the plate was taken away and I was presented with a beef fillet that was totally overcooked. Ten minutes later, the trays were taken away, and the lights dimmed. We did not see the crew again for the next 9 hours, and no water or juice were ever served. Unfortunately BA has the only non-stop flight between Cape Town and London, but next time I will fly Emirates via Dubai even if that means adding 4 hours to the trip.
RouteCape Town to London

Review by (South Korea) 29th July 2015

Had a very unpleasant experience with BA this time. They changed our family seats without warning. First time flying with two babies, booked the ticket and reserved two seats together sitting together with husband. Both babies are lap seat. Two days before the flight I called the BA service to make sure our seats and ticket are all fine and got a positive answer. On the day of boarding found out out seats are moved apart. For 12 hours flight, our family seats are arranged far apart. After more than 40 minutes standing at the counter waiting for the coordination, we could sit across the aisle when we get on the plane. No food for my 2 year old. If we are not allowed to bring food onto the plane, what do BA expect baby can eat? No help from staff with any service. When babies are crying and very restless we didn't get any help from BA staff. When I flew with other airlines, flight attendant brought small toys to help distract and entertain baby. BA forgot to unload out stroller when we landed.
RouteSeoul to London

Review by (Switzerland) 29th July 2015

This was my return flight of my trip in the USA. From Europe to the USA we had an Airbus A380 which was modern and quite enjoyable to fly. My return flight was on a Boeing 747. The aircraft was quite old with seats which weren't so comfortable but at least fully OK. The flight was good, cabin crew were friendly, sometimes absent in the cabin and not very happy when you asked them something. The food was OK, not gastronomic but acceptable in an economy class. We had delays of 35 minutes by landing, so the flight were quite on time, though that the longest delay was due of an engine problem. I recommend British Airways even for short flights (if you book early and fares not too high) than for longer ones. One reason more is that connections in Heathrow are easy when you have two BA flights, transfer done in 35mins.
AircraftBoeing 747 and A320