bmi British Midland Airways

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th October 2012

London - Freetown and back. I had the privilege to be on the last BMI flight from Freetown to London a few days ago. As always the service on the ground and in the air was faultless. I have used many airlines in and out of Sierra Leone and the last couple of years with BMI and their new A330 have been by far the best. It was a very sad day knowing that the BMI era has come to an end. Thanks to all of the staff in the air and on the ground for a great airline which will be missed by many.

Review by (United Kingdom) 23rd September 2012

TXL-LHR which BD operate for LH. I booked it at two hours notice due to a family emergency. LH ground staff at TXL could not have been more helpful they got me the best seat they could which was 18C. I needed to leave the aircraft as quickly as possible on arrival and was travelling only with hand luggage. On boarding I sensed 'couldn't care less' from the three crew members who from the word go seemed to regard passengers as an inconvenience to their day. Push back and take off were on time. In flight service began a single soft drink was offered nothing to eat and no seconds. Obviously the crew were really tested by this service as there were snaps and snarls rather than smiles. As advised by the LH ground staff I approached the purser and explained to him the circumstances and asked if he was able to move my seat to help me leave the aircraft quickly. His response when he finally stopped his conversation with his two colleagues for long enough to listen he rolled his eyes and told me he'd heard it all before and there was nothing he could or was going to do to help. BMI when it was British Midland was a good airline on the basis of this experience it's a good job the brand is disappearing.

Review by (United Kingdom) 18th September 2012

LHR-BEY-LHR. On check in their was a problem with my booking the first agent didn't know what to do but thankfully his colleague did. On board the crew were very friendly and BMI is fast becoming my favourite airline. I asked what the movies were and was referred to the guide. The channels did not match what was in the magazine when I showed the crew they realised they had loaded the wrong media so they loaded the film I wanted to see on an unused channel. Great service recovery. I'm not sure why wash bags were not offered to the passengers as they were on my BMI flight to TBS a week or two earlier perhaps they have run out during the run up to the take over by BA. Luggage in BEY was waiting on the carousel. Return flight BEY check in staff were friendly and directed me to the lounge. The look was dull space small and catering non existent. On board once again crew were excellent did several rounds of drinks and were visible in the cabin. Noticed the lemon dessert was the same as on other BMI flights for frequent flyers more rotations would be better. Luggage took about 30 minutes at Heathrow even for business class passengers.

Review by (United Kingdom) 21st August 2012

LHR-TBS-LHR. The check-in agent in T1 was friendly and dealt with my request promptly. As I boarded the aircraft the crew manager gave a warm welcome and set the tone for all the crew who were very pleasant. The food presentation was original and reading the wine guide gave a sense of the personality of the buyers. The flight arrived early and by the time I cleared immigration my bag was waiting for me. On the return journey the Tiblisi customer service staff were also very friendly and I was pleased to see it was the same crew as on the outbound journey. Excellent on-board service and the flight arrived into London 30 minutes ahead of schedule. I only had to wait 5 minutes for my bag to arrive.

Review by (United Kingdom) 7th August 2012

We checked in and went to the gate. The flight was delayed 1 hour then 2 and then cancelled! Heathrow security took all passengers to the baggage claim area to take their bags and up to the departure area to book new flights. No one from BMI came to talk to us or even apologize. 300 passengers stood at the ticketing counter (only 3 desks were working) and when the passengers showed their frustration they called for them the airport police! We left the second day on Egyptair via Cairo. Until today we did not get any email or anything such as an apology or explanation for the cancellation.
Cabin Staff Service N/A

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th July 2012

I recently decided to take a trip with bmi as they are soon to be taken over by British airways and I was not disappointed ! Aircraft was a erj145 and had plenty of space the flight was stated to depart at 14.00 and departed at 14.02 and arrived in Heathrow at about 14.40. The service of complimentary food and drink was a nice touch and enough for the length of the flight. Flight back delayed with no explanation given. We eventually left just over an hour late. Airbus A320 was in very good shape with nice leather seats and the not even half full plane gave plenty of space the crew on both legs were chatty and friendly. It is a shame bmi shall soon be British airways.

Review by (United States) 16th July 2012

We were recently on a flight from Dublin to Heathrow in Economy seats that were sold by American Express as Business Class tickets. They called them Class Z. The ticket price was an outrageous $500.00 for 2 tickets. There was no business class on this plane but we knew that we were entitled to business class baggage rules which allowed more luggage weight than economy. First they changed our confirmed seats. Then on check in the attendant tried to charge us overweight fees because our luggage was too heavy for economy class. Upon boarding the plane my husband had the window seat and I was supposed to sit in the middle seat. It was so narrow my hips touched both sides. Upon complaining loudly the attendant moved the armrests and said it was actually a child's seat before evidently. It was a one hour flight.

Review by (United Kingdom) 8th July 2012

Very disappointed with British Midland/British Airways. Had booked my final connection flight with BMI from LHR to Belfast flights were then changed by the different airline I was flying with. Had hoped that BMI would change my flight for free as a gesture of good will. However the agent I spoke to was rude and a little aggressive. I explained the situation and all he said was it would be £50 plus anything if the second flight was more expensive. The told me I could get a refund of £8 for my flight not much of a refund of my money apparently it was a non refundable flight. Would like to point out that EasyJet only charged me £25 to change my flight.

Review by (United Kingdom) 10th June 2012

LHR-BHD-LHR (June 2012) Usual service from BMI and I sincerely hope BA will maintain this route to BHD. I noticed there were 4 BA check in desks at LHR T1 adjacent to the BMI desks. As I had booked my flight with BA I thought I would check in at the BA desks - as there was no queue. Foiled - they will only check you in if flying on a BA flight re-numbered from BMI!

Review by (Ethiopia) 6th June 2012

ADD-LHR-ADD. On first leg stopover in Beirut and second leg stopover in Amman Jordan. AVOD/IFE unavailable. Old aircraft. Attendants very polite. On time take off and landing both times. Food was disappointing. Overall given the price not too bad an experience but for a 10 ish hour flight IFE should have been better.