Top 100 Airlines

Bahamasair

"lacking in professionalism"

Verified Review | Just as most of the other reviewers stated, Bahamasair is just so lacking in professionalism. But there is not much competition, so they continue to perform without caring. We sat in Marsh Harbor this past Sunday for seven hours waiting for our flight to West Palm Beach to show up. No explanation and no help from the airline employees. (To be fair, they did give us an $8 voucher to be used at the airport café.) Of course we missed our flight out of West Palm to Boston - no help given to us for the inconvenience. Just so frustrating especially when checking in to the Holiday Inn West Palm to find other airline's 'distressed passengers' with credit vouchers to be used for food/hotel/expenses. Also, our flight to Marsh Harbor was delayed, but only by one hour - which I think is great for Bahamasair - hardly worth mentioning. We love the Bahamas but will have to avoid them in the future if Bahamasair is the only option.
RouteMHH to PBI
Date FlownApril 2016

"surprisingly had plenty of legroom"

Verified Review | Flew Bahamasair round trip from Fort Lauderdale to Freeport on 03/22/2016 and 03/28/2016. Both inbound and outbound flights were on new ATR72-600. Slight delays (no more than 45 minutes) on each leg. This aircraft was very clean and surprisingly had plenty of legroom for a turboprop plane that seats 60 passengers. Other than on takeoff and landing, the cabin is very quiet once in the air. There was no need to use the Bose QC20 noise cancelling headphones. This is a rather short flight less than 1/2 hour.
AircraftATR72-600
RouteFLL to FPO
Date FlownMarch 2016

"how badly-run this airline is"

Words can not express how badly-run this airline is (especially after a natural disaster). Booked medical trip to Miami on Fri to pick up critical medicine unavailable in Nassau. Hurricane changed course on Wed and hit Bahamas on Thurs. By Wed noon, all offices were shut and supermarkets empty of stock. In their rush, Air Bahamas forgot to update their flight schedules. I had the "joy" of trying to convince the booking agent in the US that my intended flight very early on Fri morning would not fly because they checked and the web server gave them "normal status" for this flight. Urging them to check with the weather station was a fruitless exercise. Hurricane hit Thurs morning; went to airport at 5 am Fri. Told to come back at 9am when flights would resume. Came and was told that I could catch a plane to FLL at 11am. Thought that this was sufficient time. Plane took off after noon and took hours to get through US Customs. Barely made it to the pharmacy before it shut during the weekend. Coming back was another story. Supposed to fly out on Fri night. Had to stay Fri night at dodgy hotel at my own expense. Spent all of Sat going from one gate to another, having to go through security each time. No meals or drink provided by airline. Finally, late Sat night, we got news that we could board a flight to Nassau. All lined up and then told we could not board because someone forgot to turn on the landing lights at Nassau airport. Another night at a bleak hotel at my expense. Returned early Sun and spent another day going from gate to gate, trying to get on a flight. Finally, around midnight, a flight was available. Spoke with people sitting in that particular lounge - they were waiting since 6am. Gate agents worked furiously to get everyone aboard - if I felt sorry for anyone, it was them. Took off around 1:30 and landed around 2am to a almost deserted airport, A security guard at Nassau airport asked me which flight came in, I told her "BahamasAir". She did not look surprised; she told me that they regularly come in that late. Complained to Bahamasair where I was passed from one person to another until I was given the email of one of the managers - sent her an email but, of course, no reply.
RouteMIA to NAS
Date FlownNovember 2015

"just don't seem to care"

Bahamasair is always late so if you don't mind sitting hours in the airport this is for you ! We flew Bahamasair before and it was delayed for 2 hours going and then 4 hours coming home. Doesn't help to check either because it was posted on time. So I said never again. So I did know better, but since they don't charge for you luggage we thought we would try one more time. My advice pay for the suitcase! Our flight delayed for almost 2 hours - I can understand some delays but we even asked and the guy that checked us he just smiled and said no, not delayed this time. Oh and they threaten to not let you on the plane if you are not there two hours before (we had that last time and we were the an hour and 45 minutes ahead) so we are there two hours before - only to go through security and 5 minutes later our flight is delayed an hour. It turned out to be one and a half. It is only a half hour direct flight to Nassau. Missing a luggage again. They will send it to your hotel - no big deal to them. We did get it, although not when they said we would. Flying back, get told as we check in flight is delayed an hour - even though it is posted everywhere as on time. They tell us our plane is at gate, just going thru safety checks and we will be boarding soon after the hour delay. I you enjoy spending 5 hours in a airport for a half hour flight this is for you. They just don't seem to care.
RouteFLL to NAS
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"customer service totally lacks"

Fort Lauderdale to Grand Bahama Island with Bahamasair, and one of the worst I have flown. Customer service totally lacks. Only one flight on Saturday and our plane got delayed in Tampa, missed flight. Had to pay huge change fee and they did not offer a refund or help. Never use this airline!
RouteFLL to FPO
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"unconcerned about our comfort"

West Palm Beach to Marsh Harbour with Bahamasair. 3.5 hour delay getting out of Marsh Harbor on Saturday. Had to rebook and pay up charge on connecting flights. Staff kept telling us flight had left Nassau to come to MH but flight aware showed it had not left. They left our luggage in the rain and were slow to respond to our pleas to get them out of the rain. Staff appeared totally unconcerned about our comfort, our luggage or communicating truthfully with us.
RouteWest Palm Beach to Marsh Harbour
Date FlownOctober 2015

"I would rather swim"

(Bahamas)

Another example why Bahamasair monopoly structure lead to high prices combined with bad service. Second flight. Second delay of hours without any information. Before I have to fly a third time with Bahamasair I would rather swim the 200 miles to Miami. Quicker.
RouteNassau to Fort Lauderdale
Date FlownSeptember 2015

(Bahamas)

Fort Lauderdale to Nassau, Bahamas. The flight was smooth and the flight attendants were helpful and professional. The landing was smooth and nicely done.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Nassau
Date FlownMay 2015

Bahamasair customer review

My girlfriend and I flew round trip from Nassau to Cuba. Our return home was delayed for three days due to incompetence and failure to follow up on promises. On the way back, the flight was oversold and we were bumped off in Havana. There was no call for volunteers and no consideration of priority for those with connecting flights in Nassau or nowhere else to go in Havana. According to local staff, this had never happened before and they were completely unprepared to deal with it. They were eventually coaxed into arranging a hotel and were great about it - very embarrassed that it had happened, etc. It still took around five hours of messing about in the airport, however. We had very little cash left (because we thought we were about to leave) and as US credit cards don't work in Cuba, we were pretty much stuck and were not even able to contact the other airline that was getting us home from Nassau. A VP from Bahamasair, got involved. He told us to ask for him when we got to Nassau and he would sort everything out. When we got there he was unavailable and neither he nor anyone else had done anything at all. As a result, we wasted most of the day in Nassau airport then got stuck for another night in Miami before finally making it home 3 days late. To add insult to injury, the complaint process is absurd. After more than four months, Bahamasair eventually offered us a pittance for compensation, in travel vouchers - which I am unlikely to use as I will not subject myself to their appalling service again. 1/10 rating may seem harsh as they did provide us with accommodation and (limited) meals for part of our delay. Also the people we actually dealt with face-to-face were great. However the utterly incompetent way they handled everything pretty much trumps any positive aspects.
RouteHavana to Nasaau
Date FlownMarch 2015

Bahamasair customer review

I had a 9:10 flight out of Ft. Lauderdale FL to Nassau Bahamas on May 1 2013. The flight was 5 hours delayed without any explanation by the staff. In addition the attitudes of the personnel was unbelievable their apologies came only after it was mentioned that they did not apologize and when the flight finally was boarding they attempted to scold and belittle the passengers. On the returning flight the flight is still delayed. My flight was suppose to leave at 345 pm it is now 930pm I am still sitting in the airport with no idea when I will be leaving the Bahamas to get back to Florida. This is absolutely a night mare. Never again will I travel with Bahamas Air.
Value For Money N/A