Avianca Brazil

"beware of this airline"

Trip Verified | Bogota to Fortaleza. Beware of this airline. It's not associated in any way to Avianca nor the Star Aliance. I had a flight from Miami to Bogotá before the flight to Fortaleza and Avianca didn't allow me to check my bags all the way to Fortaleza. They told me that Avianca Brazil is an independent company. After arriving to Bogotá I had to pay for the service to watch my bags for some hours at the Bogota Airport. Then I had to re-check my bags. They charged me for the second bag. At the return flight my bag was left at the Bogotá Airport cause I haven't had enough time to get out of immigration and re-check it. Now I have to find a cargo company to bring my bag back to Miami. And I didn't receive my Life miles from Avianca Brazil.
RouteBogota to Fortaleza
Date FlownJune 2018

"crew were really friendly"

Trip Verified | Rio de Janiero to Curitiba via Sao Paulo. Really good experience, really smooth, in-flight entertainment and free food and drink, the cabin crew were really friendly. This really beats European customer service. the leg room is still the same but just the service outweighs it for me
AircraftA320 / 319
RouteRio de Janiero to Curitiba via Sao Paulo
Date FlownMay 2018

"been a very bad experience"

Trip Verified | We flew on 11th November from Iguazzu to Rio de Janeiro with Avianca Brazil where we had the worse experience ever. Initially the flight was delayed by one hour but eventually it turned out to be a flight delay of 8 hours and 10 mins, the initial take off time was 11.30 which then turned out to be 7.40pm. This was made worse by a number of issues at the airport and poor staff customer services: Poor communications and updates, no reason given and no idea of when the next flight. It turns out that the plane for that flight was re-directed to do a different route. Staff either refused to communicate or did not know what was going on - keep saying we were going to leave in an hour or 90 mins and it turned out to be 8 hours. we then waited for the crew to come on a later flight that evening to man a plane that was already there to take us back. Inadequate compensation -lunch only provided but vouchers handed out after 4 hours. This was generally poorly organised with long queues from check in desk rather than a different area- this mean people checking in where queuing with those waiting for their vouchers delaying the whole process. Planning to fly a further 7 flights in January and this has been a very bad experience. Poor boarding procedures on flight at 7.40pm.
RouteIguazzu to Rio de Janeiro
Date FlownNovember 2017

"horribly unfair policy"

Verified Review | Booked 3 tickets in economy class from Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia in late August for myself and my parents. My father has a serious lung and heart problem and due to this was informed by the doctors that he could not fly for the next year. We sent a medical note from a doctor to confirm this to Avianca, they refused the refund stating they will only give back 5% of the airfare for the 3 tickets. Expedia was the agency we booked through, they would not help us. I spoke to a supervisor who basically regurgitated what the agent stated, no customer service at all. Avianca is a greedy company with no morals and no heart, avoid them at all costs. Expedia has incompetent staff who couldn't care less. I thank God these tickets were less than $400 USD for all of us, otherwise we could have lost out on thousands of dollars due to Avianca's horribly unfair policy.
RouteRio de Janeiro to Brasilia
Date FlownAugust 2017

"actually thanked the crew"

Verified Review | Salvador to Sao Paulo. Avianca was one of the airlines we flew during our travels within South America, and it was the best. Staff on the ground and in the air spoke English. The inflight entertainment was great, even though it was a short flight. And the food was simple but the kind that announces its arrival with a delicious aroma. It's one of the few airlines where I've actually thanked the crew on my way out.
RouteSalvador to Sao Paulo
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"brand new aircraft"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Salvador to Rio De Janeiro with Avianca Brazil. Priority check-in and boarding for Gold members was perfect. Unfortunately no lounge in Salvador. Brand new aircraft. Very large pitch, excellent IFE, including movies and games, free hot sandwich and a large choice of quality drinks. Priority luggage was first delivered. Nothing to complain. Price was the cheapest on the route that day.
RouteSSA to GIG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"best domestic airline in Brazil"

Verified Review | Flew Avianca Brazil from Congohas to Santos Dumont. Definitely the best domestic airline in Brazil. Efficient and smooth check-in and boarding procedures with a gate change. Very good legroom - actually the best in Brazil - as well as IFE on board. Staff are friendly and a hot snack along with drinks was served even on a short 45 minutes ride to Rio. Highly recommended as the top choice in Brazil.
RouteCGH to SDU

"seats were comfortable"

(Spain)

Florianopolis to Rio de Janeiro with Avianca Brazil. Even though the flight time was really short with only a bit more than 1 hour the airplane had inflight entertainment and the seats were comfortable. The check in was really fast and well organised. A hot sandwich was served and beverages too. All in all I would recommend for domestic travel.
RouteFLN to GIG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"the seat was comfortable"

My most recent Avianca flight from Salvador to Sao Paulo was problem-free. Check in was quick, and the flight left on time. Avianca serves a hot sandwich and beverages on this two-hour flight. The seat was comfortable and seat-back entertainment was available, although I did not use it. Arrival was on-time, and baggage arrived quickly. I recommend Avianca Brazil.
RouteSSA to GRU
Date FlownMarch 2016

"flight attendants very smiley"

(Brazil)

Cheapest tickets we found for a Rio to Salvador return trip with Avianca Brazil. Very quick boarding in Rio, but not in Salvador. Hot sandwich was served during both flight. The GIG-SSA A320 was brand new and had a much larger pitch than the old one we had on return trip. IFE was great and flight attendants very smiley.
RouteGIG to SSA