Austrian Airlines

"nearly a dream flight"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Vienna. Just perfect. Everything went so smoothly that it was nearly a dream flight. All business class seats have aisle access, remembering that 5 stars Lufthansa do not presently offer this. Chef on board. Very nice food, excellent choice of drinks, friendly staff, etc. Best flight ever between Asia and Europe. Just a note: only 7 European movies available out of on 100. Very weird for an European airline.
RouteBangkok to Vienna
Date FlownMay 2018

"I need to check in my carry on"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Zurich. Before boarding the flight we were asked if some of us could please check in our bags. While boarding I was politely told by personnel that I could check in on the left side (everyone was boarding on the right with the machines). I go to the left side and then I'm told that I need to check in my carry on because it is too big. I look around and I see that everyone's carry on is the same size. Upon reaching the plane I asked if I could please keep my suitcase because I had a lot of personal belongings in it and I have back problems. They told me sorry no and made me take my things out just to give them an empty carry on bag! Now I'm having to haul my personal belongings through Zurich airport with a back problem. I wouldn't normally mind but this flight is transatlantic. I feel the airline behaved in a rude manner in this case and should have asked more people that were in line to check in their bags.
RouteVienna to Zurich
Date FlownMay 2018

"was really disappointing"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Mauritius to Vienna was disappointing in various aspects. The business class cabin crew's attitude and poor performance in service have been the key problem. After boarding, there was no help with luggage or seating to anybody. Once some crew members realized that we do not speak German, they lost any interest to communicate with us at all. With the exception of personal welcome from the main purser and only one flight attendant, the rest of the crew did not care for a majority of this long-haul daytime flight. After the take-off, the breakfast has been served. Then, the crew gave up almost to be presented for the passengers, or at least to ensure to refill in some frequency any kind of drinks at the “minibar” in the galley. When someone from the crew has “checked” the cabin, it was the high speed run through the aisle. I was lucky to call the flight attended and asked her for a drink, as there had been nothing in the galley minibar at that time. No answer, but the face told enough, that I had exceeded some unwritten limit perhaps. Absolutely unbelievable. The more offended face, when she came back with the drink. The lunch, served about 3 hours prior the landing, was delicious. With the mentioned exception of that one professional flight attendant, nobody has cared about the passengers (no refilled drinks again, no talks, no motivation to look professional at least). At Vienna airport the plane (B772) parked at the remote stand with totally disorganized bus transfer into overcrowded terminal building. But it is another story. Except the food, the flight in the Austrian long-haul business class was really disappointing.
RouteMauritius to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2018

"highest standard of service"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Innsbruck to Frankfurt. After boarding I was surprised by cabin crew by giving some gifts to our child! Crew were smiling and very helpful. Plane was in very good condition. I was surprised by the highest standard of service. In-flight service was also very good. I could choose between variety of drinks. I also got a cake which was very good. Thank you Austrian Airlines for the best flight ever!
AircraftBombardier Q400
RouteInnsbruck to Frankfurt

"Overall experience good"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Thessaloniki via Vienna. Nice airline, I enjoyed the flight, food during the flight was nice. Food in the business lounge in Vienna was bad. I had a problem with my luggage in Thessaloniki and I didn’t find any representative for the airline in the airport. Cabin staff are very friendly. Overall experience good, I won’t hesitate to fly back with Austrian airline.
AircraftB777 / E190 /A320
RouteFrankfurt to Thessaloniki via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2018

"trying to be compensated"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I flew from Los Angeles to Venice via Vienna. At the check in counter, I was informed about the half an hour delay of the departure that then rose to more than an hour while we were already on board. During the flight we managed to make good some of the delay, but despite all I missed my second flight for just 5 minutes. It's true that I was immediately redirected to the next possible one which was after 4hr. The second plane boarding was on time, but we departed with delay of 25 minutes. When my suitcase arrived, I found out that it was damaged. Now I continue to waste my time, trying to be compensated for the damage.
RouteLos Angeles to Venice via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2018

"were downgraded to Economy"

Trip Verified | Male to Vienna. We took a week-long vacation to the Maldives using Austrian through Vienna. We booked Business Class seats but were downgraded to Economy. We were given 4 Maestro cards as compensation for the downgrade. None of the Maestro cards worked (you can check the amounts on line and they never had anything on them). And, now I will apparently have to wait 4 months for them to even look at my complaint. Needless to say, the Business Class seats were incredibly expensive. The compensation they gave me was nowhere near the difference in price -- and this is assuming that I actually get some compensation from them. So, not only did I get downgraded (I understand this happens), but I lost a lot of money because of their mistake.
RouteMale to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2018

"would not allow the increased luggage"

Trip Verified | I booked economy flights from Copenhagen to Vienna for my husband and myself for 4 January 2018. As we were travelling in Europe during the winter for several weeks, we had more luggage than allowed under our ticket. The airline website encouraged purchasing extra luggage allowance online as it was cheaper than on arrival at the airport when checking in. I tried to do this several times but the website would not accommodate the request. A day or 2 before the flight, we were offered an upgrade to business class at a cost of €119 each, which we took up. The receipts for payment for the upgrades clearly showed an increased baggage allowance to 32kgs each which was more than sufficient for us. On arrival at the airport in Copenhagen for check in, the check in agent would not allow the increased luggage without further payment as it was her contention that the upgrade we paid for did not include increased luggage. At our request she called the airline twice but was told that we would have to pay extra DKK559. As we had no option, we paid the demanded amount. I lodged a complaint with the airline’s “guest service” team, attaching a copy of my receipt showing the increased baggage allowance as part of the business class upgrade. I also requested a refund of the DKK559 I had paid. I exchanged several emails with the “guest service” team before I was then informed that I would have to lodge my request anew with the airline’s feedback/complaints department via its website. I re-lodged my complaint/request as instructed and received an acknowledgement. I have received at least 2 further emails advising the airline “is committed to offering a high quality of service and your concern is therefore important to us. However, due to a high volume of requests, you may experience a delay in receiving a response”. My complaint/request was first lodged on 4 January, almost 4 months ago and I’m still waiting for a response to something that should be very straightforward.
RouteCopenhagen to Vienna
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"felt exceptionally below service"

(Romania)

Trip Verified | This was my first time flying Austrian Airlines on 2 small connecting flights: Munich-Vienna / Vienna-Iasi. I have to mention that I mostly fly low cost. I didn't expect any incredible inflight service because of the type of flight and destinations. Overall flight was good, snacks a bit small compared to most other "normal" airlines. However one thing felt exceptionally below service, especially for a Star Alliance airline. We were departing from MUC to VIE and I came to my seat amongst the last and the overhead was full. I was carrying 1 cabin trolley, plus my purse and laptop which I always put under my seat. With no place to put my cabin compliant trolley, I turned to the flight attendant for help, literally saying "could you please help me stow my trolley, not sure where to put it". She shrugged her shoulders in a very obvious "and what do you want me to do?" manner and said "the overhead is full due to passengers bringing 2 pieces of large luggage" and proceeded to not moving an inch, while looking at me. Then another passenger helped me make room in the overhead (probably his backpacks were there). I could have just pushed some random overhead bags really hard or asked some passengers to take out their smaller backpack and put it under their seat but really, I think this would have been rude on my side - I wouldn't want a stranger smushing my bags or asking me to move my stuff. I also strongly believe it is the flight attendant's job. It clearly *is* for all the low cost flights where flight attendants are taking really good care of this aspect. So I am expecting much more from a Star Alliance company that charges double or more of what a low cost would. At least I am expecting the willingness to be helped with basic things. If you can't be bothered to help me stow my luggage, I find that a problem, especially given the price I am paying. The rest of the flight attendands were great, accommodating, and we had some of the most talkative and informative captains on all of the Austrian flights - which I liked.
RouteMunich to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2018

"they didn't serve breakfast"

Trip Verified | Washington to Vienna. Overall good experience but to my surprise they didn't serve breakfast before landing in Vienna, only a muffin!!! Not enough crew on board compareh to my previous experiences with Austrian. The drinks were not serve in trays, also not hot towel or hand sanitizer was offered.
Aircraftb763