Airline of the Year

Austrian Airlines

"really like Austrian Airlines"

(Czech Republic)

Verified Review | Went from Vienna to Zakynthos and back to Graz and I can say that I really like Austrian Airlines. The onboard service may be nothing too special, but you'll still get a warm snack and complimentary drinks. For two hour flights that's sufficient. As we were travelling as a family we also got crayons, coloring books and some playing cards for our daughter. The crew was very attentive and proactive. When our daughter feel asleep they brought a pillow without being asked. On the way to Zakynthos the flight departed and arrived on time. On the way back it got delayed by approximately 45 minutes due to a bug in the check in system. despite a long line up the ground staff remained friendly, professional and as efficiently as possible. Austrian Airlines is currently my number one choice for flights within Europe.
RouteVienna to Zakynthos

"friendly cabin crew"

Verified Review | Flew Austrian Airlines from Frankfurt to Salzburg. Short hop on the pleasant Embraer 195 with 2-2 seating. The friendly cabin crew manages to get you a snack and a drink - 2 if you ask for it - on the 45 minute flight. On time performance despite rather bad weather. Part of a Lufthansa flight from Dusseldorf -with change in Frankfurt - and the cheapest option between Dusseldorf en Frankfurt. Would definitely fly again.
AircraftEmbraer 195
RouteFrankfurt to Salzburg
Date FlownJune 2017

"cancelled the ticket of my son"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Vienna to Sofia. Very unprofessional service. Phone service with booking unhelpful and cancelled the ticket of my son without informing us. Waited 15 minutes in a 35C weather with fellow passengers in a transfer bus from terminal to aircraft. No aircondition was used. -Cabin crew engaged in their own conversation and did not help passengers with finding their seats and space for the luggage.
RouteVienna to Sofia
Date FlownJune 2017

"Food was great and tasty"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Toronto to Vienna on Boeing 767 (was scheduled for Boeing 777) with Austrian Airlines. Atmosphere of the cabin was pleasant with nice colors. Comfortable seat but seat pitch was poor with only 30 in. Nice pillow with fabric cover and nice blanket. No amenity kit, no amenities in the WC. IFE was good with 59 movies and easy to operate. There was a welcoming drink and then offer of a main meal with plastic silverware, and breakfast 1 hour before landing only muffin and drinks. Food was great and tasty. There was a mid flight buffet but it was poor quality. They did not offer hot towels. Flight from Vienna to Athens was very basic on A320.
AircraftBoeing 767 & A320
RouteToronto to Athens via Vienna
Date FlownApril 2017

"best European flights of the last 5 years"

Verified Review | Austrian operated by Air Berlin, wet lease flights OTP-VIE-ZRH on the same airplane with the same crew. As a matter of fact, my last flights with Air Berlin were not very pleasant at all, so I was curious if and how this might have an impact on these Austrian flights. And yes indeed it had. My best European flights of the last 5 years. Airplane livery Austrian, seats Lufthansa group, but not with the specific Austrian red features. Seat pitch LH group standard. So all regular and nothing special. The difference was the service by the cabin crew: simply marvelous, always with a smile, very individual and professional. So, if you had doubts about Austrian operated by AB, forget them. If you can book such a flight it's simply a plus.
RouteBucharest to Zurich via Vienna

"professional customer care"

(Italy)

Verified Review | I had a flight from Vienna to Zurich and then a connecting flight from Zurich to Milan with Austrian Airlines. Due to the late arrival of the flight my flight was delayed which was meant I would miss my connecting flight. I went to the customer service desk twice and the staff working there was patient and helpful. In the end, they put me on a direct flight to Milan. I just wanted to say my compliments to the staff for resolving the problem. Even though I had to wait for 4 hours, I am still pleased with their professional customer care and client handling.
AircraftEconomy
RouteVienna to Milan

"friendly, professional, efficient"

Verified Review | Sofia to Berlin via Vienna. Flying with Austrian is always close to perfect. Quick check-in and boarding in Sofia. In Vienna it took me from touch down via bus transfer, immigration and security check only 16 minutes to reach my new departure gate. Fast internet free in Vienna Airport and very slow in Sofia Airport. Flight attendants very friendly, professional and efficient. They serve a light snack and beverages without extra charges. Toilets clean. Always on time in my experience.
RouteSofia to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Great service, clean cabin"

Verified Review | Innsbruck to Bristol. Just returned from a skiing trip to Austria and this was the first time I'd flown with Austrian Airlines. Great service, complimentary food and drink, on time both ways, clean cabin with plenty of legroom. The thing that made it unique for me was the Captain. On takeoff from Innsbruck he kept us low so we could see the snow topped Tyrolean Mountains, pointing them out and naming them. Absolutely amazing! He also kept us informed throughout the flight. Such a personal touch that made all the difference.
RouteInnsbruck to Bristol
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"two flights without hassle."

Verified Review | Zurich to Bucharest via Vienna. Two flights without hassle. Slightly delayed in Zurich due to late arrival and arrived 15 minutes late in Vienna. Very helpful staff to make the tight connection. Second last to board. Plenty of personal space, the plane was almost empty. Not my favorite airline seat, but ok, got used to it. Early landing in Bucharest and fast baggage delivery.
RouteZRH to OTP via VIE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"experience of Austrian is cheap service"

Verified Review | Shanghai to Lyon via Vienna. This flight went way worse than I expected. I flew from LYS to PVG with SWISS and from PVG to LYS with Austrian Airlines, so I had the possiblity to make the direct comparison between these two Star Alliance members. The flight took about 11.5 hours. During this time the crew served us bewerage just before and during the two meals. If you expect they would come around from time to time to ask the passengers if they'd like to have a glass of water - you were wrong. After some hours I had to go by myself on the back of the plane to ask them for some drinks and a little snack (since the meal itself wasn't even that big, not even for an economy class meal). Besides the fact that the flight attendant didn't even care about us and not even bothered to smile, two of four toilets were not working. After mealtime many people had of course the need to go to the restroom - with a waiting time of sometimes over 15 mins. I guess that's why they didn't serve as much drink as they maybe usually do? What disturbed me most is that the crew or the maitre the cabine didn't greet the passengers at the beginning of the flight or informed us about the failure of the toilets. Just the captain mentioned it 1 hour before landing, and thanked us for our understanding. The overall experience of Austrian is cheap service with lousy flight attendants and bad maintenanced aircrafts.
RoutePVG to LYS via VIE