Austrian Airlines

"you have been downgraded"

Trip Verified | I booked Business Class and received a boarding pass for seat in row 8, which made me suspicious. Only after asking for a different seat, the check-in lady told me you have been downgraded. The supervisor tried to cälm me down by promising me that Austrian will ask for volunteers at the gate so I could get the seat I paid for. They did not! Before entering the plane , they tried to have me sign a waiver and give me 120 euros.
RouteVienna to Nice

"Showed no concern"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt to Belgrade via Vienna. Unhelpful, infuriating and late. Showed no concern for missing connecting flight that was also with Austrian. No food or compensation, no help in any way. Complaints department's business card had no name on it.
RouteFrankfurt to Belgrade via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2018

"service is polite and friendly"

Trip Verified | London to Sofia via Vienna. Checked in online for both flights using the app, which was very easy. I had a "Economy Light" fare which meant cabin baggage up to 8kg plus a laptop bag or similar. This was a 06:00 departure from LHR T2. I always like to have paper boarding cards in case of phone failure so on arrival at 04:25 I went straight to a self service kiosk and got boarding cards for both sectors printed very quickly and easily. This is one of the first flights out of LHR so I was amazed I was through security and airside by 04:35. The downside about this time of day in T2 is there is absolutely nothing open until 05:00. My flight was out of the gates in the satellite building so I walked there. Boarding started just after 05:30 and was efficient, used a jet bridge and not a bus, and the staff applied a pragmatic approach to hand baggage. I had no problem stowing my wheelie bag in the overhead locker and my other bag under the seat in front. The seat pitch was acceptable and comfortable enough for a 2h15 flight. We departed approx 5 mins late, but arrived 15 mins late in VIE. Onboard service on this sector was reasonably swift in getting started and was basically beverages including alcohol plus a muffin. There was a second beverage service later into the flight. The flight attendants were all friendly and helpful. Arrival at VIE, which was late, was not helped due to us arriving at a coaching gate and being bussed to the terminal. I then had just under 45 mins until my connection to SOF out of the D-gates. It seemed a long walk and despite a flight attendant telling me I did not need to re-clear security, this was required. This said I did manage to get to my gate before boarding started. Gate D33 was terribly small and over crowded and due to the level of background noise from people passing through security right next to the gate it was impossible to hear what the gate agent was saying over the PA system. Boarding commenced late and was unfortunately another bus to the aircraft. We departed a few minutes late and arrived 10-15 mins late in SOF to yet another bus arrival. So I can only conclude Austrian are trying to save money by turning down jet bridges at SOF when most gates with them were unoccupied at SOF T2. The inflight service was very similar to the flight from LHR, albeit slower to start and slower to get through the cabin. It was a choice of either a sweet pastry or breadstick little snacks. Complimentary beverages were served including alcohol however on this 1h15 flight there was only one drink offered. Overall conclusion on Austrian European short haul economy service is: polite, friendly; appreciate the complimentary beverages albeit the snacks are not a meal, but the amount of bussing to and from aircraft I experienced did not feel full service carrier. I would fly Austrian again at the right price point.
AircraftA320 / A319
RouteLondon to Sofia via Vienna
Date FlownJune 2018

"shunted onto a midnight flight"

Trip Verified | I felt severely let down by Austrian Airlines. My first set of flights Hong Kong-Vienna-Zurich and return were ok: excellent cabin service but awful boarding procedures. A good initiative is being able to use the business lounge at Vienna for the payment of 30 euros, if one is a premium economy passenger. However, despite the boarding scrum (no area designated area for PE and business class passengers seemed not to fare much better) I still arrived quite happy and enjoyed the actual flight experience (good food, good wine good seats, and excellent service), so much so that I booked Austrian Airlines again out of Hong Kong for a second set of flights a month or so later. Austrian is one of very few airlines offering daylight flights in premium economy into Europe from Hong Kong. However, on the second planned flight disaster struck when I received an SMS in the middle of the night bluntly informing me that my flight from Hong Kong to Vienna was cancelled - that was it. Although I had carefully booked premium economy (partly due to some slight health problems) I found out that I had been shunted onto a midnight flight on Swiss International and downgraded to very basic economy. I was also shoved into a poor seat in the middle down the back on this long overnight flight. I was stunned. Why couldn't Austrian re-book me onto a similar Lufthansa premium economy flight (they are in the same Lufthansa group), albeit also an overnight flight? Why couldn't they otherwise offer a flight next day on Austrian Airlines which I worked out would have been suitable. I could see there were plenty of seats on these other flights in PE. Also beware that as Austrian Airlines is a typical small European airline its call centre and help desk are only open in their local daylight hours, Vienna time - almost useless if one is in Hong Kong or Tokyo trying to make contact. Also Austrian have a fairly small long-haul fleet, making it easily prone to disruption and cancellation for whatever reason. So Austrian (and Star Alliance) have lost a potential lucrative business traveller in me who was in the process of moving over from One World alliance for these flights. I make 15-20 long haul international flights per year, usually in premium economy or business and this experience with Austrian Airlines has sent me rushing back to Cathay Pacific and One World.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteHong Kong to Zurich via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2018

"a quality experience"

(Lithuania)

Trip Verified | Vilnius to Copenhagen via Vienna. Efficient boarding in both VNO and VIE. Business Class cabin very comfortable, with very welcoming and jolly flight attendants. Aircraft and cabin well maintained and clean. Food portions were very delicate, well tasting and stylishly served on porcelain. Selection of good quality Austrian wines available. All flights were punctual on landing. Altogether a quality experience, with no flaws. Definitely using Austrian again.
AircraftE195/A320
RouteVilnius to Copenhagen via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2018

"not serve alcohol in the night"

Not Verified | I flew in Premium economy from Vienna to Beijing. The flight was not bad the Premium Cabin was only 3 people from 18 seat so everyone get space enough. The IFE is ok but the service was not good - no welcome drink and after 3hrs they say no more alcohol because they not serve alcohol in the night.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteVienna to Beijing

"Breakfast a disappointment"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Paris. Lounge had very few options of food; sad when we know Austrian traditional breakfasts. Boarding was messy in a narrow gate. Business class seats are just Economy seats. Breakfast was a disappointment, compared to previous flight. Usually Star Alliance flight arrive at T1 (CDG). Arrival in CDG was at T2, which is much more user friendly.
RouteVienna to Paris
Date FlownMay 2018

"food in business class incredible"

Trip Verified | Bucharest to Berlin via Vienna. Switching from Oneworld to Star Alliance seems to have been a good idea since the quality of the product is way better. The planes I got to fly in were new and the seats very comfortable. At check-in, the operator at the business class desk, apologized for taking a person flying economy and that I had to wait for 2 minutes. I found that sweet. The flight attendants were very friendly and attentive and it really makes a difference in the sky, even when flying just under 2 hours. Speaking of the flight attendants, their uniform was somehow strange, everything red, including shoes and stockings: unique indeed. I must say the food in business class was incredible and the selection of wines was everything I needed for my trip. Everything culminated with a cup of tea, served in Austrian's branded porcelain. Both flights were on time and connecting in Vienna, while not the quickest and not always stress free, made it possible for the whole trip OTP-VIE-TXL to be under 4h. The WiFi didn't seem to work. I connected myself with the network but I couldn't get the redirect page where to book the plans. Anyways, I didn't really need it and I didn't ask the crew. maybe it was my phone.
RouteBucharest to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownMay 2018

"economy product is solid"

Trip Verified | Berlin to Bucharest via Vienna. I always thought that water and some hot drink should be offered in a plane while flying, at least for the airlines that consider themselves quality carriers and Austrian seems to know this, together with their counterparts in the Lufthansa group. It is indeed a good alternative to the Ryanair flight, the only direct one between Berlin and OTP and the connection in VIE is convenient. The economy product is solid, the seat comfort OK and the connection in VIE was quick.
RouteBerlin to Bucharest via Vienna

"Very pleasant flight"

Trip Verified | Very pleasant flight with Austrian from Berlin to Belgrade via Vienna. The incoming flight from Berlin was slightly late so that I was worried about my connection, but connecting in Vienna was a breeze. It took me less than 10 minutes from a Schengen to an non-Schengen gate. The seats were sufficiently comfortable for a short-haul flight, the service friendly. Austrian served free beverages and a chocolate bar during the service.
AircraftBombardier Q400