Vote Now

Austrian Airlines

"best European flights of the last 5 years"

Verified Review | Austrian operated by Air Berlin, wet lease flights OTP-VIE-ZRH on the same airplane with the same crew. As a matter of fact, my last flights with Air Berlin were not very pleasant at all, so I was curious if and how this might have an impact on these Austrian flights. And yes indeed it had. My best European flights of the last 5 years. Airplane livery Austrian, seats Lufthansa group, but not with the specific Austrian red features. Seat pitch LH group standard. So all regular and nothing special. The difference was the service by the cabin crew: simply marvelous, always with a smile, very individual and professional. So, if you had doubts about Austrian operated by AB, forget them. If you can book such a flight it's simply a plus.
RouteBucharest to Zurich via Vienna

"professional customer care"

(Italy)

Verified Review | I had a flight from Vienna to Zurich and then a connecting flight from Zurich to Milan with Austrian Airlines. Due to the late arrival of the flight my flight was delayed which was meant I would miss my connecting flight. I went to the customer service desk twice and the staff working there was patient and helpful. In the end, they put me on a direct flight to Milan. I just wanted to say my compliments to the staff for resolving the problem. Even though I had to wait for 4 hours, I am still pleased with their professional customer care and client handling.
AircraftEconomy
RouteVienna to Milan

"friendly, professional, efficient"

Verified Review | Sofia to Berlin via Vienna. Flying with Austrian is always close to perfect. Quick check-in and boarding in Sofia. In Vienna it took me from touch down via bus transfer, immigration and security check only 16 minutes to reach my new departure gate. Fast internet free in Vienna Airport and very slow in Sofia Airport. Flight attendants very friendly, professional and efficient. They serve a light snack and beverages without extra charges. Toilets clean. Always on time in my experience.
RouteSofia to Berlin via Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Great service, clean cabin"

Verified Review | Innsbruck to Bristol. Just returned from a skiing trip to Austria and this was the first time I'd flown with Austrian Airlines. Great service, complimentary food and drink, on time both ways, clean cabin with plenty of legroom. The thing that made it unique for me was the Captain. On takeoff from Innsbruck he kept us low so we could see the snow topped Tyrolean Mountains, pointing them out and naming them. Absolutely amazing! He also kept us informed throughout the flight. Such a personal touch that made all the difference.
RouteInnsbruck to Bristol
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"two flights without hassle."

Verified Review | Zurich to Bucharest via Vienna. Two flights without hassle. Slightly delayed in Zurich due to late arrival and arrived 15 minutes late in Vienna. Very helpful staff to make the tight connection. Second last to board. Plenty of personal space, the plane was almost empty. Not my favorite airline seat, but ok, got used to it. Early landing in Bucharest and fast baggage delivery.
RouteZRH to OTP via VIE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"experience of Austrian is cheap service"

Verified Review | Shanghai to Lyon via Vienna. This flight went way worse than I expected. I flew from LYS to PVG with SWISS and from PVG to LYS with Austrian Airlines, so I had the possiblity to make the direct comparison between these two Star Alliance members. The flight took about 11.5 hours. During this time the crew served us bewerage just before and during the two meals. If you expect they would come around from time to time to ask the passengers if they'd like to have a glass of water - you were wrong. After some hours I had to go by myself on the back of the plane to ask them for some drinks and a little snack (since the meal itself wasn't even that big, not even for an economy class meal). Besides the fact that the flight attendant didn't even care about us and not even bothered to smile, two of four toilets were not working. After mealtime many people had of course the need to go to the restroom - with a waiting time of sometimes over 15 mins. I guess that's why they didn't serve as much drink as they maybe usually do? What disturbed me most is that the crew or the maitre the cabine didn't greet the passengers at the beginning of the flight or informed us about the failure of the toilets. Just the captain mentioned it 1 hour before landing, and thanked us for our understanding. The overall experience of Austrian is cheap service with lousy flight attendants and bad maintenanced aircrafts.
RoutePVG to LYS via VIE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"nice and pleasant flight"

(Bulgaria)

Verified Review | Sofia to Vienna. Very nice and pleasant flight onboard the Austrian Embraer 195. Check in was a little bit slow and also they don't keep the Business Class check in counter only for business class, they also let economy class passengers. However, security check was fast. I went to the Vitosha Lounge, which very nice. There is priority boarding at Sofia - they let you skip the line and be one of the first to go on the bus. I was the only one in the Business class cabin, which had 10 seats. The seating configuration onboard the E195 is 2-2 and in business class really is 1-1, because they keep one of the seats blocked. The cabin crew was very friendly, offered me some newspapers and magazines, but no welcome drink. The food was excellent. They offered many drinks. The plane took off and landed on time. I was in front of the airport about 20 minutes after landing and I had a checked in baggage.
AircraftE195
RouteSofia to Vienna
Date FlownDecember 2016

"not even offering a smile"

Verified Review | Shanghai to London Heathrow via Vienna. Upon boarding the aircraft, two cabin staff surprised me by not even offering a smile. I observed staff barking orders at passengers as to how their luggage should be placed in the overhead storage compartments. The food served was bland and looked unappetising. During meal time, we were given an option of beef or chicken, we were not told what the beef or chicken options comprised of. I opted for the chicken option, it was chicken in a tomato sauce with rice. My husband opted for the beef, his was beef and noodles however, at no point were we told we had an option of noodles or rice. The second meal served was pasta and vegetable in a tomato sauce with a dry roll. I've never been offered a roll without butter on a flight before. The staff were not helpful, approachable or polite. The movie selection was good however, but my sound quality was poor. I had the opportunity to fly business class en route to Shanghai 3 weeks earlier (after bidding on business class seats) and the service onboard that Austrian flight was second to none. Aside from 3 course meals, glass, cutlery and comfy seats which come with business class, the staff were warm, polite and engaging. I assumed that my flight back to Vienna would be equally great but was I wrong!
RoutePVG to LHR via VIE
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"measure the cabin baggage"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Vienna to Moscow. I see Austrian has no free baggage allowance. That is fine for me since I flew back from my weekend in Vienna with my backpack. I did not expect my backpack will be between my legs during the flight. All the people flying tried to bring everything to the cabin, so all the racks got full pretty quickly with bags that mostly would not qualify as cabin luggage due to their dimensions. Austrian staff at the registration / boarding gate did not seem to care. As a result, the flight attendants said that "people simply have too much with them", and all the cabin baggage not properly stowed will be off-loaded into the checked bagage. It took them an hour to sort this all out. I agree the airline managed to beat even Aeroflot on the price but that does not justify their lack of common sence. There is one simple process to avoid all this frustration: just put someone at the gate to measure the dimensions of the cabin baggage! And make the passengers hand all those bags that do not qualify. The meal was just awful, too.
RouteVIE to DME
Date FlownDecember 2016

"spotless cabin with decent legroom"

(Croatia)

Flew Austrian Airlines from Vienna to New York JFK. Had a pleasant flight on refurbished B763-spotless cabin with decent legroom and adequate IFE. Lunch was tasty and of a decent size but snack before landing was inadequate-just a half of a sandwich. FAs were proactive and served us with smiles, looked happy to do their job. We landed 20 minutes earlier but gate was not available so we waited until it become available. Miles were credited next day.
RouteVIE to JFK