Austrian Airlines

"expect to be treated better"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Toronto. As a Star Alliance Gold member I expect to be treated better but instead worse than anybody else. Not only was I seated at row 30 and on an aisle seat which the airline claimed it was the best they could do but also they did not wait for my connection which was late not helped in any way to make things at least inconvenient as possible. Also they should be more precise with their information about how many luggage are allowed without charge for Star Alliance Gold members and not charge them when they claim 2 are allowed when in reality none are allowed. This is called false advertising.
AircraftB767
RouteVienna to Toronto

"no inflight entertainment"

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to London via Vienna. I'd heard good things about Austrian Airlines, so was keen to try them out - I was however thoroughly disappointed. Selling themselves as being a full service airline, with fares to match - I would have expected the onboard experience to be much better. In terms of food/drink on the 4 hour flight from Tel Aviv we were served a small plate of pasta, along with warm beer and drinks poured into cups from cans - no spirits at all. The seating on the board is incredibly hard and uncomfortable, they offer no inflight entertainment on 3hr 40 mins flight. Connection in Vienna was unnecessarily chaotic and we arrived into Heathrow about 40 minutes late. I won't be flying with Austrian Airlines again, incredibly disappointing and average airline.
RouteTel Aviv to London via Vienna

"lengthy verification procedure"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Geneva. I appreciate Austrian in many ways. However one small thing could be definitely improved which is the lengthy verification procedure when accessing the senator launch. In all other places boarding pass with the status printed on the boarding pass is fine. Austrian requires status passengers to show their status card in addition. This is not only not logical it also is inconvenient. Perhaps somebody from Austrian may want to pay attention to this.
RouteVienna to Geneva

"I had 2kg overweight"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Overpriced airline with no extra service. Paid €350 for a flight from Innsbruck to Split via Vienna not including hand luggage. I had 2kg overweight (10kg instead of 8kg) and the only option they gave me is pay 40€ more for one direction (so €80 in total). Very disappointing service.
RouteInnsbruck to Split via Vienna
Date FlownAugust 2018

"crew were very attentive and helpful"

Trip Verified | Vienna to Manchester. Boarding went smoothly and was very efficiently done by the ground staff. Legroom on the A320 could have been better but was enough for a 2 hour flight. The crew were very attentive and helpful. From take-off to landing, they were working non-stop serving us drinks and snacks and dealing with all of our requests. We were offered a choice of a sweet or savoury snack along with refreshments. (We were given two drinks the first time, one from the first crew and one from the second). We were then given refreshments again 20 minutes later, which is not something that would be done on many European airlines. Austrian’s service in-flight is outstanding and their crew is very friendly, it is an absolute joy to fly with them.
RouteVienna to Manchester
Date FlownAugust 2018

"in-flight service was limited"

Trip Verified | Flew from Kiev to Vienna with Austrian Airlines. Flight was on time, in-flight service was limited to a somewhat tasteless muffin and drinks, though beer was available and free. Vienna airport is quite efficient, with short lines at immigration, baggage delivery was very fast. I was outside with my luggage just 15 minutes after leaving the plane.
RouteKiev Boryspil to Vienna

"service was outstanding"

Trip Verified | Vienna to London Heathrow. Check-in was somewhat efficient, although I am not a huge fan of the self-service kiosks at Vienna Airport. Boarding was via bus boarding, very efficient and speedy, which is something that has been consistent in my previous experiences with Austrian Airlines. Unfortunately, just as we were about to depart, a fellow passenger had a medical emergency and had to be escorted off the aircraft and to the nearest hospital. In addition, we were forced to return to the gate and unload the gentleman's luggage. It is evident that Austrian Airlines has been trained for situations like this, as they handled the situation professionally. During this time of waiting for unloading the luggage, they served drinks and refreshments. Eventually, after around an hour and a half on the ground, we finally took off. The seat was relatively basic, and legroom was rather limited (I'm tall so this didn't help). I had an aisle seat for this flight. Every single seat on this flight was filled. The inflight service was outstanding. We were served a second round of refreshments (the first round was on the ground), and eventually we had a choice of a sweet snack (Manner hazelnut wafer bar) or a salty snack (pretzels). I opted for the sweet snack with some traditional Austrian Almdudler, an herb lemonade. There was no entertainment on this flight. We landed in London an hour and a half behind schedule. Overall, bad luck came our way but Austrian's outstanding crew handled the situation very well. Austrian's hard product (the seats) need some improvement, however their staff have been consistently fantastic on all of my previous flights with them. I look forward to flying Austrian again.
AircraftA320-200
RouteVienna to London
Date FlownAugust 2018

"flight was as usual really nice"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Venice to Vienna. I´m flying this route quite often, because it´s the only way to arrive quickly in Vienna, but spending a lot of Money. In Venice, Austrian Airlines wants to be different therefore they are not making the check in with Lufthansa and Swiss, as Star Alliance partner, which can be ok, but the check in Experience is bad. At the check in counter you find staff from Venice airport, which is not meeting the standards of the airline. During check in I arrived and the Gentleman asked me for an ID, and suddenly an other passenger interrupted my check in because he wanted to make his own. I was shocked as I started complaining to him, and the operator just asked him to go away, but as he other passenger did not care he stood there, and the operator did not do anything. Now my question is, why there was not a reaction, my check in was almost over, but my privacy was violated. Anyway the flight, unfortunately too short was as usual really nice and ok, cleanliness really good, as well the cabin staff attitude they are smiling quite always and really polite to everyone.
AircraftEmbraer E95
RouteVenice to Vienna

"most definitely recommend"

Trip Verified | Flight OS82 from Los Angeles to Vienna. I have flown this route (Vienna/Los Angeles) only once, so I was interested to see how Austrian's service was on a red-eye flight such as this. Overall, I was quite impressed with Austrian. The configuration of Austrian's 777-200ER was the standard 3-4-3 configuration, however due to the shape of the fuselage of the airplane, there were a few rows of seats at the very rear of the plane that had a 2-4-2 configuration. I was traveling with a partner at the time, so I booked these seats right away. These seats had the benefit of a little bit of storage space between the window seat and the wall. We departed right around the scheduled time and on-board service began with a drink service, followed by lunch. They had two options for lunch: chicken with fried rice and pasta in cream sauce with smoked turkey and broccoli. I took the pasta. It was delicious. I managed to get a decent amount of sleep in before breakfast, which was around 2-3 hours before landing. It was an omelette with roasted potatoes, tomatoes and bacon. It was very good. The inflight entertainment was good without being outstanding. It had a decent amount of movies although the screen was very responsive, which is a definite plus. The pillows and blanket provided were very comfortable and of a good quality. The seat itself however lacked in some aspects. It served it's basic function however there was no in-seat plugs and no exterior cup holders, which would have been much appreciated. The seat did contain a coat hook, a USB port and headphone jack, an adjustable headrest (much appreciated), and a tray table. Austrian makes up for this though with their exemplary service. The flight attendants were consistently serving drinks and did all of this with a smile on their faces. They were also eager to please and very engaging. We eventually landed in Vienna. Overall, it was a fantastic flight. I would most definitely recommend Austrian Airlines to any traveler.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteLos Angeles to Vienna

"Excellent experience"

Trip Verified | Paris to Bangkok via Vienna. Amazing flight, everything was smooth and perfect. The boarding was efficient and not messy. The cabin is elegant and the seat comfortable. The meals were amazing, very sophisticated, delicious and generous. The staff was very warm and friendly. Many recent movies and a good size screen. Excellent experience.
RouteParis to Bangkok via Vienna