Austrian Airlines

Review by (Austria)

I had pre-assigned front seats on flights ZAG-VIE-INN as LH Gold member. During boarding for the second flight in VIE, the seat was changed and the seat closely to the last row was assigned. The gate agent was completely ignorant and spoke about "change of the aircraft". This was not true because they use the same Fokker as every day. The aircraft was almost empty and nobody could understand his behaviour. Fortunately, the crew was more attentive and the seats were changed again after boarding. Overall standard of ground service especially in Vienna is rather low and agents in Vienna extremely unhelpful. Their training level seems to be poor.
RouteZAG to INN via VIE

Review by (Greece)

Two segments flight with 8hrs waiting time between the flights. There was a small snack served during the flights. Because I was travelling with a baby I had no chance to choose my seat. On the second segment of the flight a small toy was offered to the baby and the crew showed a bit more concern.
RouteAthens to Zurich via VIE

Review by (Greece)

Short delay on the first segment, however I arrived on time, as the connecting flight was not delayed. Drinks served for free on both flights. No food served and no option to purchase food on board, which was unpleasant as I was really hungry. They do advertise as a full service carrier though and the VIE-ATH segment is a 2 hour flight (would be worse if it was a connection from a long haul flight). First flight almost full, second one about 65% full. Connection in Vienna was short, smooth and convenient. Used my smartphone to check in, it was a bit slow and with some errors. In the end did not manage to get the mobile boarding pass, however had no problems as the agent printed them in Zagreb with no extra charge. Overall had an average experience.
AircraftFokker 80 & Airbus 320
RouteZagreb to Athens via VIE

Austrian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Departed Heathrow an hour late due to a problem with the loading of passengers baggage. The flight that was due to leave at 1520 left at 1630 but the Captain kept everyone informed and soft drinks were served during the delay. First the negative, the flight was disrupted by a couple immediately behind me who were unable to control their three children for most of the flight resulted in constant screaming and more amazingly allowing them to unfasten their seat belts as the plane came in to land and throw themselves on the ground. That aside it was an otherwise pleasant flight - I was in row 3 - legroom not great but the middle seat was free. A pretty tasty meal of meatballs and mash potato and vegetables was served around 20 minutes after take off with a nice Tiramisu cake and my sparkling wine was kept topped up throughout the flight by the pleasant and attentive crew who apologised for the screaming children to all business class passengers as we disembarked. Noise aside I was impressed by the service and while the delay was frustrating, Austrian Airlines did their best to keep us informed and we eventually landed in Vienna around 30 minutes late at 19:25.
RouteLondon to Vienna

Austrian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Arab Emirates)

Dubai to Vienna, a night flight. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable, especially if you desire to sleep during your flight. The quality of earphones is poor and I had to use almost 4 earphones during the course of my journey. The snack served in the beginning was average and for the meal served as breakfast they had no vegetarian options. The aircraft is neat and clean with a pretty good IFE system.
RouteDubai to Vienna

Review by (Austria)

Our flight was supposed to leave at 7 in the morning. We were at the airport at 5, just to find that our flight was canceled (due to a technical defect we were told and with no replacement aircraft available). Since we (2 adults, one youth) planned to travel onwards from Paris to Marseille via train, we were fine with being rebooked directly to Marseille via Frankfort. Although waiting at the airport for 5 hours we arrived at Marseille as planned. At boarding all three of us were upgraded to business on both legs. Flight back from Paris was alright: staff very nice and courteous; as we had seats in a row without a window, my son and I were offered a row of our own with a window, keeping the middle seat free. Catering is of low quality though, at dinner time only a mini portion of pretzels or a small pack of hazelnut wafers were offered. IFE didn't exist. Austrian is alright if you get a ticket at a reasonable price.
RouteVienna to Paris

Review by (Ireland)

Austrian still fly a Fokker 100 on this route. Admittedly in good conditions but basically an old plane from the 1980s. The service is limited to drinks and some nibbles. The flight assistant addressed me in German and when she realised I did not speak the language she made a face as if speaking English was a big inconvenience to her. If I can avoid Austrian in the future I will.
RouteSofia to Vienna

Austrian Airlines customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

I booked my flight with Lufthansa 3 months prior to my departure date. When I arrived to Heathrow airport I was not on a passenger list. I had a confirmation email and my flight details sent to me. They told me I have to buy my tickets again for almost 3x the price I paid before. They could not process my payment but never sent anything, on the opposite, they sent a confirmation email with my flight details! I was so angry and frustrated! I planned this journey far in advance and even decided to go via Vienna, from London to Kiev. It was so uncomfortable, inconvenient and I had to wait in Vienna airport for ages. The flight which usually takes 3 hours with any normal airline with no stops took me 6hrs! I will never fly again with Lufthansa nor Austrian Airlines. The "meal" was terrible- a tiny little pack of salty snack.
RouteLondon to Kiev via Vienna

Austrian Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

Original ticket booked in economy class. Upgraded to Business class on JFK to VIE route. Quick check-in, nice Lufthansa Business Class Lounge at JFK. Boarding delayed due bad weather over JFK and chaos it created at the airport. Once we boarded we were kept on the tarmac for 2 hours. Flight crew regularly updated us of the progress, and cabin crew offered soft drinks. Finally airborne almost 3hrs late. Amazing catering by DO&CO, crew kind and polite. Slept for few hours, seat was ok to sit or relax, to sleep it was a bit hard. Also temperature was rather high - woken up for breakfast which was delicious. We landed in Vienna about 2.5hr late. Would recommend Austrian Airlines.
RouteJFK to VIE

Review by (Israel)

Every thing was fine until the "meal" was served. It was placed on my tray and when I asked what it was I was told vegetarian pasta. I asked if it had cheese and when told yes I asked for an alternative. In a very nasty tone I was told I should have requested a special meal. And that was that. Luckily the passenger next to me didn't want his kosher meal and gave it to me.
RouteCopenhagen to Tel Aviv via Vienna