Airline of the Year

Asiana Airlines

"technical things can be enhanced"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | We flew using Asiana Airline from Jakarta to Seoul Incheon. First impressions were nice and cabins were clean. Staff on board were extremely helpful and hospitality was top-notch; They made us feel welcomed and reminded us with those little things that made your trip even safer. On the other hand, the inflight entertainment can be improved. Mine broke down and I had to move to another seat with the help of a staff. Once I moved, content was okay but below my expectations as I had expected a wide range of Korean movies in particular. Moreover, seats were not comfortable but equipped with spacious leg room. I can usually sleep on long hauls but I couldn't during this flight. Food was okay. All in all, service was superior but technical things can be enhanced.
RouteCGK to ICN
Date FlownJune 2016

"I expect a breakfast"

Verified Review | Singapore to Seoul Incheon return with Asiana Airlines. Everything run smoothly without any hiccups. The only thing that I complain is that I expect a breakfast as the in-flight meal for the night flight, but it turn out to be a heavy supper (a proper meal). The meal itself is good but a bit heavy to have it before sleeps.
AircraftA330-300
RouteSIN to ICN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"time wasting, frustrating experience"

Verified Review | I booked 2 business class return tickets, online from Seoul to Sydney with Asiana Airlines in Nov 2016. The departure date was 11 December. During reservation I could not select any seats. It looked like all the seats were already taken. After the reservation and confirmation, I tried again later both online and using the Asiana app. All seats were occupied. Following days, I repeatedly called Asiana Club (I am a diamond member) and Asiana reservations call center. After long waiting time (no priority calls for business class or elite Asiana club members), the reply I got was to come to the airport early, if I wish to get 2 seats next to each other. After paying full payment for 2 business class tickets and confirmation of the tickets, still you have to go to the airport early to get your seats! This is the most ridiculous policy I have heard from any airline for business class passengers. What's the value of a 4000 USD ticket if the passenger has to go the airport early to get a seat? After I complained to the management of the airline, finally, the unavailable seats reappeared and 2 seats were allocated. However it was a time wasting, frustrating experience. I need to say, the service is going downhill rapidly. Customer service, online reservation system, and the call center for reservations all are customer unfriendly and not providing any support. It is unlikely I will fly anymore with Asiana unless they improves their services back to international standards.
Aircraft77L
RouteICN to SYD
Date FlownDecember 2016

"service the intangible that elevates them"

Los Angeles to Seoul with Asiana Airlines. I am not a fan of the A380. I have taken a few flights on this airframe and it always seems overcrowded and cramped. That is until I took the Asiana flight. Asiana puts one less seat in each row and overall spreads their business class passengers out more around the cabin to create a much more open feel compared to Lufthansa. I sat on an outside seat which is to say I was in a row of single seats. Asiana's seats are staggered so you and lined up with the table in front of you for extra leg room. Very clever. What they also does is give you a huge table to put your things on. I highly recommend taking a seat with the table on the outside, as this gives you a bit more privacy and allows access to the bins that are under the window. To say this seat has storage is an understatement. The seat is very comfortable in the seated position and in the lay-flat position is easy to get in and out of. My only complaint was that my seat was attached to something on the plane that vibrated, so when you put your head down, you could hear the sounds of the plane. I have had this issue on other flights, so I do not hold it against Asiana. A pair of flush headphones cured the noise. If the configuration is what physically sets Asiana apart, their service is the intangible that elevates them. Asiana excel in service and is one of the best. To me Singapore, ANA and Asiana are the three best. The corps of attendants are always around to help. With most US carriers, the meal is served, chips put in a basket and the staff disappears, but with Asiana mid-flight meals are served with the same attention as the main. I asked for a bag of chips and a tray of options was presented to me. That is service. I would be remiss without mentioning the food. I eat a lot of airline food and with few exceptions, it is not memorable. Asiana food is actually worth waiting for. On all four flights I took with them in the 2 week span, the food was well prepared and excellent. By the last leg of the trip, I was actually looking forward to what Korean delicacy would be served. The other aspect that impressed me was the boarding process. In Frankfurt with Lufthansa boards their A380, it seems like a cattle call with hoards of people trying to board. In Seoul, it is an organized and seemless process and you arrive at your seat relaxed. Nice job! Overall, my experience with Asiana was exemplary. The seats, the service and the food were all outstanding. I will actually take a stop in Korea over my usually direct flight to China to experience Asiana over the US carriers.
RouteLAX to ICN
Date FlownNovember 2016

Asiana Airlines customer review

(China)

Verified Review | This review is based on multiple flights, all in business class. Airline is plagued by disappointing details and awful oversights that spoil what otherwise would be quite pleasant. Examples: the interior of the Boeing 747-400 aircraft are ratty and in disrepair, even in business class. On their Airbus 330-300 the large entertainment screen comes back on every time they make an announcement no matter how often passengers switches it off. None of the aircraft's I flew, even the fairly new Boeing 777, offered Wifi. The lounges, even in Seoul, are nothing to write home about and quite often terribly overcrowded. Lounge food is beaten by concession stands outside.
AircraftA330, Boeing 747, Boeing 777
RouteICN to PVG
Date FlownNovember 2016

"crew polite and helpful"

Verified Review | I flew Asiana Airlines direct flight from New Delhi to Seoul. The flight was on time, boarding was hassle free. I had a window seat. Seat was average. Inflight entertainment was not the best compared to other airlines, anyway I wanted a good nap. The crew polite and helpful. Though I did not get my vegan meal, I was given other options of fruit and juice.
RouteDEL to ICN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"flight crew were attentive"

Verified Review | First time flying with Asiana Airlines from London to Tokyo via Seoul. Evening flight was full however it departed 60+ minutes later than the scheduled time which meant passengers were seated for at least 90 minutes before take off. The late departure caused us worry about making our onward connection from Seoul to Tokyo, thankfully we made the onward flight. Flight crew were attentive, polite, amenity kits provided quickly and bathrooms were stocked regularly. Food options were Korean or Western, partner chose bibimbap, I chose the Western option, both meals were enjoyed. Plenty of choice in IFE. Connecting flight to Tokyo was on time and surprisingly we were served a hot meal soon after departure. Immigration and customs at Tokyo were busy and took some time but to our surprise (and delight) two Asiana staff stayed waiting with our luggage at the carousel. Would definitely use Asiana again.
RouteLHR to NRT via ICN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"the value was outstanding"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Seoul Incheon. Several prior reviewers helped me pick my business class seat due to configuration of the business class cabin. If you are traveling alone, try to get the 2 seats that have the side table facing the aisles - otherwise you will be sitting very close to someone you don't know (look at seat configuration map of Asiana's A380 business class to see what I'm saying). Try to get the window seat in which the side table faces the aisle for more privacy. The service was polite and courteous. However, if you are used to Western food service style, don't expect the flight attendants to come around repetitively to see if your drinks are filled - you'll have to ring the bell to get refills. I find this to be typical of Asian food service, whether on land or in the air - that staff rarely come around to make sure glasses/cups are refilled. Also, strange that the rolls that came with dinner never had butter served (both on inbound and outbound flights). Seats were great and the blankets were lightly insulated and were quite comfortable. Toiletry kit supplied on inbound (ICN to JFK), but not outbound flight. Excellent wine and liquor selections. AVOD selection of movies was not the most I've seen, but more than adequate. Plenty of music tracks to pick from. Biggest drawback - no WiFi - hopefully Asiana is planning to implement this option soon. Business class lounge in JFK used the Swissair lounge and had only breakfast items were available even though it was 12 noon. Business lounge in ICN better. Check-in, boarding, luggage claim all were quick and efficient. Overall, this was the least expensive business class ticket to Seoul and the value was outstanding.
RouteJFK to ICN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"cabin crew looked friendly"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Seoul Incheon. I wanted to pay for an upgrade on the ground but the staff at the check in did not know how to do it. The B777 was old, I had seat 30H, emergency row and it was actually comfortable and 1 more pitch reclining, not bad. IFE old, really small screens and bad brightness which made difficult to follow the movie. IFE selection very poor. The cabin crew looked friendly and they were working the whole time but English was poor. The food was regular, I had a sort of chicken I didn't eat just the jelly as dessert. Limited soft drinks though.
RouteHKG to ICN
Date FlownOctober 2016

"not expecting Asiana to be so good"

I recently flew Asiana from Chicago to Ho Chi Minh City via Seoul Incheon and was not expecting Asiana to be so good. My flight from Chicago to Incheon was pretty good. The flight attendants were very nice, and gave me like lots of snacks. The inflight entertainment was not great but not bad. A little outdated. The food was okay but could be better. The seat comfort was great and I even had a row to myself for me to sleep. The flight from Incheon to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) was very good. The food was delicious and the technology was great. The inflight entertainment was still kind of shabby. I flew the A321 from Incheon to Saigon. Overall, I think Asiana is so much better than American Airlines and the other US based Airlines.
RouteORD to SGN via ICN