Asiana Airlines

Review by (South Korea)

ICN-JFK on upper deck A380. 2-4-2 seat layout and extra storage bin under the window. The flight was not full and I had the window / aisle row. Legroom and the space in front was ample and the recline was generous. Even the seat in front was in full recline position, there still was good space. Food and drinks was top class and they were served quickly and politely. IFE was up to date but lacked variety compared to Emirates or Singapore Airlines. Only two drawbacks - the temperature was on the warm side. And the seat back felt a little firm although it gave us more room.
AircraftA380-800
RouteSeoul to New York
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (United States)

Asiana airlines takes customer service to a new level. I discovered that I had lost my passport as my flight was boarding out of Ho Chi Minh City. The staff at the gate and on the plane were all involved in helping me locate it. Asiana staff members were right there with me (even running through the airport) until we were able to locate the passport. It was the most positive customer service experience that I have had with an airline.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Seattle via Seoul
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Australia)

We decided to fly Asiana Airlines because of their competitive fares (cheaper by $300 than other premium carriers) and complimentary hotel stays at the Grand Hyatt for the layover. Transfers were one of the easiest we've experienced especially on the return flights. London ground agents booked our seats not just to Seoul but Sydney as well, and our bags were automatically transferred by the airline to our Sydney plane as there was no layover. This gave us more time to relax in the lounge. Onboard experience was fantastic. Three out of the four legs had excellent flat beds and only the Sydney to Seoul leg had angled seats which were great for a day flight but I'd question its comfort overnight. What was truly memorable was the gracious and respectful cabin service on every single flight. The crew seemed like they weren't just great attendants but great people in general. Great food and extensive selection of alcoholic drinks. The whole experience was memorable for us in a pleasant way and we'll certainly fly Asiana again.
RouteSYD to LHR via ICN

Review by (United States)

Asiana was an excellent experience. After a dreadful experience on United cancelling my connecting flight at midnight, I was able to get a flight out of LAX on Asiana. Asiana is my new go to for direct flights from LAX to Seoul. The A380 is extremely quite and smooth. No shaking or noise like the B747. The fully reclining leather seats are the most comfortable. The bathroom was the nicest I have seen including a port hole to see out. Toothbrushes and toothpaste were a nice touch in the bathroom. The all female staff were dressed to the "nines" and were polite. The food was wonderful. Wine choices very good. Asiana certainly has won my vote. US based carriers can learn a lot.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLAX to ICN

Review by (South Korea)

Asiana did not check its aircraft's conditions and status until the last minute, after all the passengers were aboard. Turned out that there was a problem with the plane, which they failed to identify and fix for the next 3 hours. The aircraft took off 3 whole hours after it was supposed to, and in the mean time all the passengers were close to suffering from a heat exhaustion, because they wouldn't turn the A/C on until we were up in the air. There were no real refreshments (other than small cups of drinks) during the three hour period either. Why couldn't they have checked the plane beforehand so that 1) we could've left on time, 2) we could've taken another aircraft, 3) or at least if neither of those options were possible, we could have waited in the terminal where we could at least walk around and get food. There were no compensations of any kind made by the airline to their customers, the only reason I don't give the airline a 0/10 review is because their on-the-ground-workers were swift in helping people get to their next connecting flight.
RouteIncheon/Seoul, South Korea to Chicago, USA

Review by (United States)

The negative experience begins with the challenge of buying a ticket. Their website is difficult to navigate. Flight information is presented in a confusing manner. The best part is trying to reserve a seat. Knowing where you will sit prior to arriving at the departure airport is an important part of the travel experience. This is especially true when flying for 12 hours. Evidently, Asiana does not believe this is important and therefore will not allow 50% of ticketed passengers on their flights to reserve a seat. Instead, seat assignment takes place upon arrival at the airport. Asiana attempts to make up for the 'inconvenience' with a competent staff, but the inefficiency and uncertain seat assignment overwhelms their effort. Other carriers offer a significantly better experience.
AircraftBoeing 700LR
RouteSEA to MNL via ICN

Review by (Thailand)

My original booking was made for my husband and me online. We called and requested that my husband's itinerary be cancelled. When I arrived at check in at ORD I discovered that my itinerary was hte one cancelled. The staff were efficent and gracious in re-booking me. I did have to buy a new ticket. We were due a refund for my husband's itinerary. The refund was handled promptly and with apologies for the error. All extra charges were waived. Although the seats were fully not lie flat they were comfortable and I slept 8 hours. The staff at Chicago, onboard, and at Incheon were friendly and very helpful. When the new fully flat bed seats are on this route I would have no negative comments.
RouteChicago to Bangkok via Incheon
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United States)

SEA-ICN-BKK. It was during the peak season when international students were flying home for the summer, but nevertheless, Asiana managed to handle the chaos very well. The check-in was smooth, the flight arrived early, and there was no problem with the connection flight at ICN. The seats were comfortable, cabin was clean, food was of quality. Flight attendants were quick to respond to passenger's requests on board. Will definitely fly again.
RouteSEA to BKK via ICN
Date FlownSeptember 2014

Review by (Australia)

Flew round trip in business from SYD-LAX with a stopover in ICN. Sleeping was very comfortable on overnight flights aside from the warm temperatures that I occasionally woke up to. The A380 to LAX was the best travel experience I've had. Everything went smoothly without the usual stresses of long haul, full flights. The plane itself was also amazingly quiet. Cabin service was detailed yet unobtrusive. Wine glasses were never less than half full and empty plates cleared in seconds. Truly five stars. All legs were on the new business seats which was a pleasant change en route to Sydney. I've previously left bitter reviews of the angled seats on long haul flights. The question is whether the new equipment on the SYD routes is seasonal or permanent as I will definitely fly them outbound from Sydney much more if it's the latter. Highly recommended airline.
RouteSYD-LAX via ICN
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United States)

I flew Asiana for the first time from LAX to MNL via ICN and was very impressed with the service that I received. I arrived late to the airport in LAX with an overweight package assuming I had missed my flight. They checked me in got my bag on the plane and actually escorted me through security to the gate. I have never had that kind of service on any airline! Then on the way home I mis-read my 12.05 am return flight from MNL as 12.05pm and completely missed my flight. Rather than canceling me as any airline would and force me to purchase new tickets they confirmed me on the next flight without a change fee. I've never been treated so well!