American Airlines

"a member of a crowd they have to control"

(Georgia)

Trip Verified | As always, am never disappointed at being continually disappointed by American Airlines. They have a new policy: they do not check luggage from one of their flights to another of their flights if it is on a separate reservation. If I had booked the tickets on the same passenger name record, it would have cost $2,000 more. American Airlines (along with UAL) seems to revel in seeing how much lower they can plumb the depths of customer service. Although I am platinum elite with this company, on this itinerary they tried twice to collect $25 for a checked bag onto an international flight for a Platinum member (two reasons why the checked luggage is free - want a third? I have an AA credit card). Then they tried to blame Alaska Airlines (a very bizarre attempt to shift responsibility). Delta checks luggage onto Air France and KLM and any other carrier they have a baggage agreement with, and so does UAL (even though I would avoid them because no one wants to be dragged off the airplane and beaten in the gate lobby). AA doesn't even have a ticketing/baggage agreement with AA anymore, so I guess not only are passengers blackballing the company but other airlines as well. In addition, with my platinum status I am supposed to have access to their lounges on international bookings. However, it was refused me this time b/c the connexions were extending past 24 hours even though every connexion was valid and legal. I spoke to a supervisor in the Admirals Club, but it seems AA doesn't empower any of its staff to make logical business decisions in order to serve the public. I was told I could pay $59 for a perquisite that is supposed to be gratis. By the time I made it over to the AA Eagle concourse at LAX, I was then within this 24-hour window and could use the lounge. Like I said, they seem to relish putting their thumbs in the eyes of the public, and I blame the airline companies in America (not in Europe where they are without exception gracious and hospitable to their passengers) for the increase in "air rage" incidents by always doing their best to enrage the public with their fees and poor service. This is not a problem in Europe where you are treated as a human being. Not in America - there, you are just a member of a crowd they have to control.
RouteLos Angeles to Dusseldorf
Date FlownNovember 2017

"it is best not to anger them"

Trip Verified | Flew Albuquerque to Chicago. Toilets out-of-service on aircraft. Discovered also that the lamps above my row and the electricity were out. I notified the steward and asked to be reseated. He refused saying that there were no seats. I told him I could see seats right in front of me. He told me that you have to pay for those seats. I told him that I was Platinum Elite and am entitled to complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats. Rather than handling the situation before him diplomatically and with grace toward a valued traveler, he replied, "well, if you really are Platinum Elite then you know you cannot change seats onboard." The abrasiveness and discourtesy was so breathtaking I didn't pursue it further. When dealing with primitive people, it is best not to anger them. There is a new something special in the air with American Airlines: If their cabin crew cannot get themselves out of a jam with a passenger in a bad situation they themselves have created and aggravated, then they try to have you arrested when you land.
RouteAlbuquerque to Chicago
Date FlownNovember 2017

"will never fly American again"

Trip Verified | Houston to Miami. After purchasing my ticket I was notified I would have to pay an additional 25 dollar fee to check my bag at the gate. I was fine with This until I was notified it would be 50 dollars instead of 25. After asking why this was the case the attendant rudely stated it's an additional 25 dollars at the gate and I should have paid when I checked in. I told her I checked in online and would happily have paid before going through security if i knew. She rolled her eyes and stated do you want to get on your flight or not. I pulled up the email where it stated you will pay an additional 25 dollars at the gate if you have to check a bag. She stated exactly, 25 dollars additional at the gate and I should have known I check my bag at the counter before security. I paid the 50 and will never fly American again. They are extremely rude and have zero empathy. When buying the ticket it should clearly state it will be 50 dollars to check at the gate and 25 at the counter. I feel like I've been robbed.
RouteHouston to Miami
Date FlownNovember 2017

"completely ruined our honeymoon"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Charleston via Miami. After sitting on the plane for two hrs we finally take off, when landing in Miami with enough time to get through customs and make our flight American Airlines sends us to line where we stand for 45 mins and still with time to spare say they can’t keep us on our flight (most likely gave our seats away). They book us on another flight 5 hrs later and as a “sorry” give us a $24 voucher. I will never fly American Airlines again. This is absolute garbage and completely ruined our honeymoon. Maybe focus on customer service and not money!
RouteCancun to Charleston via Miami
Date FlownNovember 2017

"It was such a bizarre interaction"

Trip Verified | My husband and I were traveling home the day after thanksgiving flying from Phoenix to Minneapolis. We checked in online, had been through security early and waited at our gate. When we boarded, a gate attendant starting asking my husband a question about our carry on luggage but we could not understand her. She was telling us to go back up the tarmac to measure our bag to make sure it fit. We assured her it did we travel often. Another gate attendant proceeded to take the suitcase out of our hands and tell us we had to check it or we would have to take the next flight. I grabbed ahold of our bag as they started pulling it from me and told them I needed something out of it. They started yelling at us to board the plane. They kept yelling it won’t fit it won’t fit. It was such a bizarre interaction how they started threatening us the plane would leave without us and a flight attendant stood in the door and watched this unfold. Our seats were in row 13 and the entire overhead compartment above our seat was empty. The pilot came up to us and asked if there was a problem and I said yes they took our bags and said it wouldn’t have fit, there is plenty of room right here. He replied “I don’t see any bag.” From telling us we had “5 seconds” to board the plane and that they were going to put us on the next flight when we were still early boarding (and still sat on the plane for 15 minutes before take off) I honestly don’t know what the motive was except to attack us both verbally and physically by pulling my bag from me.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePhoenix to Minneapolis
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Customer service is the worst"

Trip Verified | Sydney to New York via Los Angeles. Booked a seat, Oh no a ticket on the plane it was not a seat as I was told, even though you have to pay to get a better seat it's just still a ticket. Ordered Vegetarian for my daughter for return flights as she does not eat meat. On the way over they told her nothing was ordered and were the most rudest people to her about it, they offered her nothing to eat as an alternative and actually told her go and complain about it! So I called the office and let them know of their staff’s rudeness and that on a 15 hour long haul flight she was starving! They ensured me that they had it arranged for the return flight and I also upgraded her seat to give her an exit row seeing she is tall to give her more leg room. Yes the meal this time was correct, the staff though were the same rude people, must be a trait for AA. But her seat was broken, - they offered her nowhere else to move told her once again go complain. I have since read so many bad reviews, that I wished I had read before making the booking. It was a special trip for my daughters birthday to NYC to see her sister. American Airlines Customer service is the worst she had ever encountered in her life she said, you should maybe put some money into training your staff if they are having a bad day, which seems to be every day do not take it out on your paying customers as they are the ones who will not return.
RouteSydney to New York via Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"no mention of the catering issues"

Trip Verified | I purchased a $5,000 business class ticket and was later advised by email that AA lost the services of its food service company. I asked for a refund to buy a ticket on another airline that offered a business class service, but was told I had a write a letter to request a refund. I was served chips, grapes and pizza pops on the 15 hour flight. I was offered a $200 refund, but was told I had to wait in line after the 15 hour flight to get the coupon. The worst part of this experience was that I checked on the AA website and they were selling the same flights that week, with no mention of the catering issues. I would recommend anyone flying on AA through LAX should find another airline!
RouteLos Angeles to Hong Kong
Date FlownNovember 2017

"a terrible experience I had"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to San Diego. I cannot even explain what a terrible experience I had on American Airlines. The service was poor, cleanliness was terrible, the food options were bad, etc. I flew on Alaska on my way to New York and it was great! Such kind, helpful service. Everything about that experience was quite the opposite of my experience on American. To end what was already a bad flight, I received my luggage to discover that my $300 coat had been stolen out of it. American did nothing to help the situation.
RouteNew York JFK to San Diego
Date FlownNovember 2017

"treatment of women routinely less kind"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to London with American Airlines. I fly first class international and working the US often. I travel for business and vacations with my family. Unfortunately I find the treatment of women routinely less kind and cordial than that of my male counterparts. It's absurd.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePhiladelphia to London
Date FlownNovember 2017

"not satisfied during the flight"

Trip Verified | Omaha to Chicago. Terrible! There were many empty seats. They will charge you for your every luggage 60$ each. You will also be asked to give up your seats if you seem weight heavier. A lot of customers were not satisfied during the flight.
RouteOmaha to Chicago