American Airlines

"worst airline customer service "

Verified Review | Dulles to Tulsa via Dallas Ft Worth. I scheduled my flight allowing for a 2 hour layover since Dallas airport is known for delays. My flight from Dulles was delayed 45 minutes due to a circuit board issue. Once we finally arrived at Dallas, we had to wait around 30 minutes on the runway because there was a plane at our terminal. Once we finally got off the plane I had 10 minutes to get to my next flight so the stewardess directed me to an AA desk to get another flight. The desk of 3 American Airlines worker had no one at their gate or desk so the stewardess left me their for the 3 girls to help me. The 3 workers never looked up from their desk, and when I finally got them to acknowledge me they said they couldn’t help me because they were busy preparing for an international flight that left in 5 hours! I asked them to at least see if my flight had done last call. They refused saying “we don’t have all the time in the world to help people that aren’t on this flight”. Again, that flight didn’t leave for 5 hours and there were 3 workers! I finally made it down to my gate and spoke with customer assistance. The 3 workers there were all on their cell phones, which they didn’t put down when I arrived for help. I explain the situation and also told them I was shocked by the lack of customer service I received at the other desk. 2 of the workers giggles and rolled their eyes while on their cell phones. The gentleman helping respond, “there are more customer that missed their flight than just you, those workers have to managed many customer with specific need, this desk has all the time in the world though. I have you on a new flight, have a nice day”. I’m happy the gentleman was more “welcoming” than the other 5 customer service workers but I can honestly say this is the worst airline customer service I have experienced from any airline company. In addition, the delays were extremely annoying when you had planned ahead as to avoid the problem of a missed connection. Unless I have to fly AA again, I will not!
RouteDulles to Tulsa via Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"wouldn't even seat me with my wife"

Verified Review | Dallas to Toronto. Booked American Airlines via Expedia. Got to the airport 7 hrs early to see if we could catch an earlier flight. We were expecting a rebooking fee. What we weren't expecting was what we were told. Were told that we had purchased "economy" tickets which are their form of competing with the discount airlines so "perks" like rescheduling were not included. Other things they told us were "perks": check in luggage ($25 extra each), overhead storage (not allowed), 1 carry on or personal item only (to be stored under the seat only), and the seat itself! Yes she actually said the seat is a pen and would be extra! After all that they wouldn't even seat me with my wife. We were close - 15 rows away! Currently waiting to board in 2 hours. I'm expecting them to say that if we want in-flight entertainment it would be extra and then hand me a mirror to watch my hair grow. Awful airline - save yourselves the heartache and exercise any other option. I certainly will in the future.
RouteDallas to Toronto
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"act like she was doing me a favor"

Verified Review | Boston to Lubbock via Dallas Ft Worth. I was at the gate with time to spare. I purposely did not check a bag, because I wouldn't have time to go to baggage claim when I landed. I understand when they just check it below, then hand it to you when you get off, but they fully checked it. I told her I didn't want it checked. She tried to act like she was doing me a favor by not charging me. Additionally, they tried to check it for the wrong city! The lady was extremely rude about it as well.
RouteBoston to Lubbock via Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"will not fly with them again"

Verified Review | I walked into the Alexandria Airport (Louisiana) about 5:45am, I went to the check in desk, the self check in was out of order. No one was at the checkin desk. I stood there waiting to be checked in about 30 minutes. The time for my flight came and went. A few minutes after my flight time a man finally shows up, I tried to check in and he informed me that I missed my flight and if I wanted on the next one I'd have to pay 75 dollars. Negative experience could have been avoided if this man was doing his job! Also had the self check in been working I could have avoided missing my flight. This is my frist time flying American Airlines and I will not fly with them again!
RouteAlexandria to Denver

"seats were split up"

Verified Review | I bought 2 tickets to fly with my boyfriend. Both to and from our destination our seats were split up. I called customer service and they told me it's gate seating and 99.9% of the time you get to sit together. Clearly not that percentage when it happened both flights. What is the point of buying tickets together when they don't even seat you together. I will never recommend nor fly American again.
RouteDetroit to Charlotte
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"will avoid ever flying with American Airlines"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Appalling experience from Milan to New York and back. I was unable to print my boarding pass from the website despite being checked in. I was berated at the check-in desk for being late and asked several times why. I was not late and had to wait for the gate to open once I got there using no express line. The flight attendants on the way to New York were nice, but the airplane was just something out of the 90s. No private screen (which is standard for British, United, Lufthansa, Swiss), no way to control the air conditioning (it was freezing cold), the audio from the audio jack was not working well and the seat pocket was a little broken. On the way back, the cabin crew, and particularly one flight attendant, was just so rude I could not believe my ears. I was asked if I wanted to change seats because I was seated close to the restrooms in the back and when I politely declined explaining that I wasn’t feeling very well and wanted to stay close to the restroom I got a "yeah, whatever!" as a response while she walked away. And during landing she said to her colleague, thinking we wouldn’t hear I hope, "I mean, we are landing, wake up people!". The food was not bad, but was the same for both long haul flights. I will avoid ever flying with American Airlines if I can.
RouteMilan to Baltimore via New York JFK
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"just proves why I stick with Delta"

Verified Review | Flew Chicago to Syracuse. Another disaster of American Airlines customer service. I get to the terminal 3 hours early and there is an earlier flight to my destination half full. I cannot even go standby due to my 'status' on American. Watched the half full early flight depart and sat 3 hours to get on the original departure. Don't have these issues with Delta, United etc and they go out of their way to accommodate. If American wants me to obtain status, well this just proves why I stick with Delta.
RouteChicago to Syracuse
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"couldn't have a crew ready"

Verified Review | Miami to Seattle via Phoenix. They canceled my flight out of Miami which was 55 hours before Irma hit Miami. So when they canceled me and 80% of the rest of their flights at a time when other airlines were scrambling to get people out of harms way, there were no options left. Thousands of people stranded with a category 5 coming. They charged me $745 to change my flight. They booked, canceled, rebooked, canceled, rebooked 4 times. On the day I finally got out of Miami, Wednesday, 3 days after the storm, AA had canceled 81% of their flights. My flight was not canceled, but it was 3 hours late because there were no attendants. 81% of their flights are canceled and they couldn't have a crew ready for my flight. Never will I give them my money.
RouteMiami to Seattle via Phoenix
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"discrepancies in a website"

Verified Review | Orlando to San Francisco. I booked my flight through a 3rd party (justfly.com), and I selected my flight as Direct. When I go to the airport and do the whole process to go to the gate I found out that I had to do a stop over in Charlotte. I took the flight because I was an emergency, but I decided to called the next day. When I called to ask, why the have discrepancies in their website, no body was available to help me. I decided to call AA customer service to claim because even my confirmation letter says that I had to do a stop and also change planes. My intention at this point is not to ask for a refund or nothing, just to let them know the discrepancies in a website. As a customer the minimum I deserve is that my questions can be answered with courtesy and respect.
RouteOrlando to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"incompetent and uncaring people"

Verified Review | Booked on 6:30 am flight to Ronald Reagan airport to leave from gate A8 in Cincinnati. Sent to gate A6 until boarding time 6am. Then sent back to A8 and at 7:02am the flight shows up on gate sign as on time. Flight is actually a half hour late and counting. Every time I fly American out of Cincinnati Northern KY airport the American employees distinguish themselves as incompetent and uncaring people. No credible information is shared with paying customers. I've been lied too on more than one occasion. The American airline personnel do not know the value of good honest customer service.
Cabin FlownFirst Class