American Airlines

"probably the worst travel experience"

American Airlines from Miami to Milan. This is probably the worst travel experience I can state, to date. The aircraft was extremely old. I arrive to my business class seat with my daughter, it felt like we were on a flight in a third world country and instead of the screen being behind the seat, I was given an old, breaking tablet with some blue tape wrap around the charger (Photo), which cause the tablet to be almost dead throughout this flight. Next we have the bathroom, which I will say is the worst! It was so tight and dirty. The food was disgusting and sloppy (Photo). The seat in front of me, the trim was lifting and not even attach to the seat(Photo). Where I was seating exactly, the air vent was without the turning knob to adjust - just 2 holes! Everything was dirty and I wouldn't recommend American Airlines to anyone.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteMiami to Milan
Date FlownJune 2015

"American Airlines left us stranded"

I am totally fed up with American Airlines. AA1021 departed Las Vegas without incident and on time. The flight to Dallas/Ft. Worth is only about 2 hours. The A320 can easily fly for over 4 hours. While over Wichita Falls, the pilot announces that he is low on fuel and has to divert to Wichita Falls. Later, the pilot comes over the intercom and tries to explain that it is because of weather around Dallas. Savvy passengers on the flight check this and find there are no current delays at DFW. Why does he not have enough reserve fuel? Maybe the FAA should look into this. Needless to say, we missed our connecting flight to Richmond from Dallas. American Airlines had only 2 customer service reps to process about 125 angry passengers. It was after midnight when we got our new airlines tickets for our continuing flight. Our flight was 9:30AM the next day. American Airlines offered us a hotel, but at our own expense. No food vouchers were ever offered. American Airlines left us stranded waiting for our next flight. This was not the passengers fault. Just saying sorry just doesn't hack it. So this is the new American Airlines? I'm not impressed.
RouteLas Vegas to Richmond via DFW
Date FlownSeptember 2015

Flight attendants not particularly friendly"

(Austria)

Minneapolis to Chicago on American Airlines, in Economy class on a vintage MD80. Friendly check-in, where the agent worked with me to avoid the USD 100 surcharge because my hold luggage was initially 8 lbs over American Airlines 50 lbs. limit. This was appreciated. After that the experience became distinctly mediocre. Once boarding was completed the pilot announced that there will be delay due to a maintenance issue that they have not been aware of before. So a packed plane waited for the maintenance issue to be solved, which thankfully “only” lasted 40 minutes. Plane has obviously not been cleaned in MSP, as the seat pocket was full of stuff including used tissues and something sticky and disgusting. Otherwise the flight was uneventful. Legroom was ok due to Economy ExtrAA seats, but service was very average. Flight attendants not exactly unpleasant, but not particularly friendly, either and not doing more than the absolute minimum. No snacks were served (also not expected as this being the US and the flight time was below 90 minutes). Drink service was limited to coffee, water and orange juice, which is pretty poor for a flight of this duration. Bags out fast in ORD with priority bags first. In general the flight as such was OK. Pretty much like taking a bus. However, due to the delay a lot of people were very anxious to reach their connection out of ORD. The only assistance from American Airlines staff seemed to be an announcement to “remain seated, if you do not have a transfer connection to catch”. Sorry state of affairs in the US skies, but American Airlines is still my default airline for domestic flights, as staff normally seem to be willing to assist, if help is needed.
AircraftMD80
RouteMSP to ORD
Date FlownJuly 2015

"very disappointed with American Airlines"

This flight from New York JFK to Las Vegas was a reward flight using frequent flyer miles, so only cost $10 for me and my partner. However, we were very disappointed with American Airlines service. The flight was delayed from leaving the gate due to a paperwork issue, but the cabin attendants did not do anything to ease our discomfort (the plane was getting hot due to reduced air con while still at the gate). After we got airbourne (2 hours late) the trolley came around with refreshments, but most food items had sold out completely (only nuts or chips remained). We were seated mid aircraft so feel there was never anywhere near enough food in their stock for this 6 hour flight. Also, the trolley only came around once which is not enough on this length of flight in my opinion.
RouteNew York JFK to LAS
Date FlownAugust 2015

"pay careful attention to your ticket servicing"

I ordered a round trip ticket from American Airlines. I revived no confirmation email from them so when it got closer to the flight I had to talk to the customer services. I had an emergency where I could not make the first leg of the flight and they were not cooperative with changing my ticket they suggested I had to pay at "$200" plus the fare difference which totaled $600 - so I booked an alternative airline. When I tried to use the return trip of the American Airlines flight they told me it had been canceled because I did not fly the first leg of the flight. My advice would be to pay careful attention to your ticket servicing.
RouteRoanoke to Orlando
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"very disappointed with the experience"

In August we flew to Hawaii with American. We had first class tickets and we have to say that we are very disappointed with the experience. It is a 5.5 hour flight (like JFK - London) and the first class seats barely recline. Not even a footrest! Now many airlines even on the longer domestic flights have sleeper seats. We usually don't care about the food on the plane, we don't wait to fly to get a good meal, but on the flight from Kona to Lax when asked if "pizza" was ok, my husband asked what was the other choice and the answer was "pizza only"! At least don't call it First Class. We will never fly American again if we have other choices.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLAX to Kona
Date FlownAugust 2015

"didn't want to break out of their personal conversation"

I was forced to fly from Orlando to Dallas/Fort Worth just get back to Pensacola. It doesn't make any sense to fly over my city just to get back to my city and add four hours. I accepted it and moved on. The reason why I am writing this review is because I arrived at Ft Worth about 15 minutes later than the flight expected. things happen, and I understand that. But when I arrived I almost immediately heard my name over the intercom for a final boarding call to Pensacola. I was told I had 10 minutes to reach the gate or I wouldn't make it. I made it to the gate I was instructed to reach in less than 3 mins. It was the wrong gate. They told me the incorrect gate both on the plane and over the intercom. SO when I finally found airport staff they told me the correct gate. Luckily it was just a few down. I got to it with more than five minutes to spare in my 10 minute time I was given. I walked up to three personnel from American Airlines and they didn't even want to break out of their personal conversation to help me. When I said "I heard my name, I'm here to get on" they told me they had just closed the gate and that I would need to be re-booked. The girl who locked me out of the flight didn't even want to help me get re-booked. She pawned it off to another employee as if it was a chore. He didn't even look me in the face the entire time and told me that I would need to fly at 8.30 that night if I wanted to fly today. I asked how to file a complaint. All he said was "go online". I will not be flying with American Airlines again.
RouteOrlando to Ft Worth
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"question whether I will fly with them again"

Typically American Airlines is my preferred airline, but now that I have had to work with their customer service department I question whether I will ever fly with them again. I was issued a voucher a year ago and it says redeemable at the ticket counter or by calling. As the expiration date approached I contacted them a few days before it expired to inquire about extending it. They said no. This was fine. I located a flight and booked it and then called again (September 2nd) to "purchase" the flight. At this point I was informed that I needed to begin my travel on that day or else lose the voucher. This travel requirement had not been previously communicated. Also, I was told they needed 2 weeks processing time so the voucher was no longer any good since I was not able to travel immediately. Had I known I needed to travel by a specific date I would have. If I knew that I needed two weeks to allow them to process the voucher (via mail) I would have gone to the airport directly. The vouchers do not come with these instructions. So I have used their poor website tools to communicate. First, I "emailed" customer service with no reply. Second, inadvertently I "emailed" "customer relations" (who knew they were different?). This second communication got things moving. I was told we have no record of the first email. So I| sent them the tracking number, to which the replied basically, "oh yea, it's expired. Nothing we can do. Sorry. Keep flying with us though". I have since resubmitted an "email" to them via their website. This is a horrible practice and outright poor communication on behalf of American Airlines.
RoutePDX to FLL
Date FlownJuly 2015

"food is great, better than international flights"

American Airlines has definitely upped their game. I was upgraded due to my EP status on AA. Out of all the US airlines only AA regularly upgrades me. I spend a lot of money with them in my business, not sure if that is connected though. This is their A320 shuttle between LAX-JFK, replacing larger Boeing 767, which I used to fly. It cannot be compared. Seats are great, comfortable. The only illogical thing is USB / Headphone plugs and cell phones which is behind your seat, to make space in front. But it is a little annoyance. Food is great, better than on international AA flights I take from LAX-LHR. They had great starters, good wines and fresher food options. AVOD great, good sized personal TV. AA is going the right direction, I just hope they don't become complacent again. The competition is tough and I recently tried Mint by JetBlue, which I dare to say was even better.
RouteLAX to JFK
Date FlownAugust 2015

"the promise of wifi doesn't work"

I'm extremely disappointed with American Airlines on my flight from Denver to Chicago. It is the first time I have flown with American Airlines. The flight attendants and staff are great, but the promise of wifi (that I ended up paying for and it doesn't work) is very deceiving. One of the reasons I picked this airline is for the WiFi and it doesn't work. And they have already charged my account.
RouteDenver to Chicago