American Airlines

Customer rating from 1901 reviews

American Airlines customer review

I booked a flight from LAX to Raleigh-Durham NC. 24 hours before the flight I went on the AA web site to 'Check- in' and obtain my 'Boarding Pass'. When I selected the option to check-in I was asked if I wanted to select a seat. I elected yes and was presented which several options for only 'Paid Seats' at $86/per seat. Thinking there were no other options I selected a seat and paid the $86 for both the departing and return trips. After making and paying $172 for seats the web site asked if I wanted my boarding pass. I said yes and I was offered the option for seat selections that required no extra fee. Feeling set-up wondering why I was not offered options for all available seats from the beginning I called the AA Customer service group and the agent informed me that they could not do anything about changing my seat to one that did not require an extra fee. I then wrote them to ask why I was lead into believing I could only purchase a seat when free seats were available they simply said 'you made the decision to purchase the seat and therefore there is nothing that can do'. After this frustrating experience on the outbound flight I requested a 'bloody mary mix' just after the stewardess handed one to the stewardess covering the first class group. I was informed that they no longer had any more. Things on the return flight were equally as bad. I was unable to print a boarding pass - web message said my reservation had been cancelled. When I attempted to call the customer service group at 11.00 pm EDT the auto attendant informed me that wait time to talk with an agent was 35 minutes. Needless to say after these experiences I will never fly this airline again.

American Airlines customer review

MIA-LHR 16 June 777-200. Used miles to upgrade from economy. Call centre staff very helpful with this. Our flight didn't have enough upgrades available for both of us but she checked the next flight and found two. We paid a small extra charge to change flights in addition to the usual miles and co-pay but well worth it. We were originally returning on the -300 so a bit disappointed. The 2-3-2 configuration is now old hat as are the seats. American made a big mistake not going for fully flat bed seats when they bought the -200 and the angle flat seats are very out of date. Having said that they were very comfortable with huge legroom. The angle is not as bad as some I've been on though and I managed several hours sleep overnight. Lots of space and a bit of room for your bits and pieces. Service was rushed on takeoff which I assume was because the flight left at 21.20 and they wanted to allow everyone to sleep as soon as possible. Lights were out before we asked for coffee and cognac but staff willing to continue serving us as long as were wanted. Staff were visible all night as far as I could see. Be nice to the staff and they will usually be nice to you. Almost always works as it did on this flight. Food was only average certainly not what I expect for business class - grossly overcooked steak destroyed broccoli thing and something else I couldn't identify. Breakfast was a lovely omelette but it came with another grossly overcooked and dry bit of steak. It was all well presented and served however with good crockery flatware and glass wine glasses. Interesting that they did trolley service rather than tray service I have previously had on American. IFE on the -200 is dated with a reasonable screen size but limited selection of movies. It broke down at the beginning of the flight and it took a very long reboot to get it going. Certainly not up to the standard on the -300. Bose noise-reducing headphones a great idea but they are collected an hour before landing. The map feature showing flight progress etc didn't work for the entire flight. American is not trying to be one of the significantly better Asian or Mid East airlines so don't expect it to be. Keep expectations reasonable and you will likely enjoy the flight. I did.

American Airlines customer review

LHR-MIA 11 June 777-300ER in Main Cabin Extra. I read a lot of complaints about American but it is an American airline serving American tastes. It has no desire to compete with the significantly better Asian and Mid East airlines and it would seem quite happy with its 3-star rating. So don't expect too much! Main cabin extra is excellent and as my husband is a permanent gold card holder we were able to select these at no extra cost. The seats are wider and very comfortable. The extra legroom is a bonus. Everything else is as in economy. The IFE on the -300 is very swish with a large screen and huge content a marked improvement over the -200 and the 767. I've always found that if you are nice to the staff they are nice in return and this was the case on this flight. The service was prompt and efficient the food acceptable and staff were present throughout the flight. Take off and landing were about on time. Be nice keep your expectations reasonable and its ok.

American Airlines customer review

LAX-LHR. Business check-in at American's terminal at LAX is a joke. 1 person to check in everyone while 2 customer service agents hang around telling us 'they're going as fast as they can'. Security was in a tiny airless room - I couldn't quite believe this was the entrance to the terminal. Once through we passed the main spacious security check-in - it was closed. At the Admirals Club things started to look up: it's large with friendly bartenders and table service for drinks. Surprised to be restricted to 2 drinks coupons though. I'm guessing it's because there are domestic passengers in the lounge too. The plane was at a remote stand so we had to take a bus out to it - this surprises me as you would have thought that LAX-LHR was a premium route and American would want to encourage passengers. On board the cabin in business class on the 777-300 is exceptional - probably best across the Atlantic. Huge seats comfy flat bed great IFE plenty of drinks and ok food. Cabin crew friendly enough. Easy to sleep on this plane. There was a delay due to a sick passenger on the incoming flight and then a minor maintenance issue - all the movies were on so we drank and watched films. Breakfast was plentiful and really fresh. Sorry to get off at LHR!

American Airlines customer review

We have just completed a round trip from the UK to USA two transatlantic flights and three internal flights. The first from London to Dallas was characterised by dreadful food (lunch being served immediately after an early morning take-off!) with very unfriendly and ungracious staff. The second flight from Dallas to El Paso was delayed for an hour at El Paso where we sat on the tarmac for an hour in temperatures of c.110F because of a failed air conditioning unit. Offered not so much as a glass of water. The delay meant that the car hire desk we were using was closed at El Paso. The second internal flight was from El Paso to Phoenix. This time the flight was delayed because the 'pontoon bridge' attaching the plane to the terminal was broken. Again we sat on the tarmac without refreshment. Again surly and uncooperative staff. We were sat at the back of the plane when drinks were finally offered there was very little choice left and no time to enjoy them. The third flight from Las Vegas to New York was relatively uneventful tho' with ungracious and charmless grumpy staff. The food on board was expensive terrible and tasteless. The final flight was delayed more than 2 hours at take off and just under two hours at landing. No staff would tell us what was going on the plane was changed and we were forced to split up our family seats and had to sit in different places on the plane. The food was inedible. Staff were not only surly but extremely rude. In all instances the planes were old shabby and dirty with worn through upholstery and carpets defective lavatories inflight entertainment was broken reading lights did not work fresh air vents that would not open or close and the worst cabin staff I have experienced.

American Airlines customer review

June 12 AA169 LAX-NRT F Class. Nowadays one has quite high expectations for International First Class while adequate American met none of those expectations. On all levels it met international business class standards and no more. Cabin crew was friendly but not very visible between meals. Better off in business on JAL United Singapore or even Delta. Quite a let down.
Cabin FlownFirst Class

American Airlines customer review

June 11 2014 flight 1322 Liberia Costa Rica to MIA. Worst experience ever! On our return aircraft had an engine problem delayed flight for 4 hours missed connecting flight in MIA to NYC because of this issue. Arrived at MIA at 12am and next flight was at 6am upon leaving same engine issue flight delayed 2 more hours. On top of the fact that their aircraft's are not inspected they offer no food not even a bag of chips and there's no wifi even though they say they provide it. I travel twice every year will never fly with them again!

American Airlines customer review

I just completed a multi city international round trip with American. 2 international flights and 3 domestic. So the international (from South America to Miami) was an overnight flight. The plane was old and the ceiling TVs stayed on all night. No sleep. All of my domestic flights were either delayed re-routed or cancelled. The first from Tampa to DFW was cancelled due to no oxygen. To top it off at my final destination back in South America one bag was delayed (hopefully not lost) as it was accidentally put on a LAN flight to Lima. 5 days later I am still waiting for it.

American Airlines customer review

I flew from Manchester Airport to JFK in economy class. From the start the aircraft was very dated and did not smell particularly clean. The food was dull unappetising and almost thrown at you by the staff drinks were not offered except with the meal I had to beg a member of staff for a bottle of water on the journey. The IFE was very poor the TV was attached to the ceiling above the aisle so from my window seat I couldn't see the full screen so didn't get any IFE. On the return journey the same 4 episodes of "Salvage Hunters" was shown on a loop so repeated 3 times during the 7 hour flight. The seats were uncomfortable and very cramped on the return flight the passenger in front had his seat back which meant for a very claustrophobic journey. The most startling aspect to flying with American Airlines was the rudeness of the staff! I went to the toilet and an exiting a member of staff had started serving lunch she kept shouting at me to not stand close to her (which I was not) and in the end marched me to my seat and demanded I "sit now". On the return I had to plead for a drink only to get a very aggressive member of staff thrust a can of juice at me before saying "now go sit down". After booking with BA I was disappointed to find AA codeshare and operate the flight as I was not prepared for the awful aircraft used the lack of IFE the poor quality food and the stunningly nasty approach by the cabin crew. Would never choose or recommend this airline.

American Airlines customer review

We started in BWI with 4 delays totalling 4 hours. We finally made it to DFW and have been sitting on tarmac for almost a half hour now just a perfect end to horrible trip with AA. Tried calling customer service with a seat issue before flight and the woman hung up on me. I actually got 2 voice messages on the first 2 delays. I will not fly AA again.