American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

On our return flight from Orlando to DFW we arrived early to the massive lines at security. Got through and sat down for an early dinner flight delayed. Took our time then another notice flight delayed again. Finally left dinner and walked around got to out terminal flight delayed again. So our 7pm take off was now leaving at 9pm. Sat down and watched TV. Then some people started standing up and getting upset flight now delayed until 11.45pm. Our plane arrived but had to wait on a crew to fly us. Finally got on the plane after midnight and waited another hour on the plane. We were told we might not have enough fuel. Really? The plane had been there at the airport for 3 hours and no one checked to refuel it? Got back to DFW at 2.30am. Only one baggage person there at that time and several bags were missing. 30 minutes waiting to get our bag that came in at an early flight. So 8 hours in the airport and all the explanation we got was it was DFW's fault. Never again.

American Airlines customer review

I was on a round trip Miami to Buenos Aires in business class. I read reviews about the service and aircraft (767-300) being substandard. However I found the seats to be reasonably comfortable and the service by the Buenos Aires based crew was very nice.

American Airlines customer review

Narita - LAX June 25 First Class. A totally acceptable experience except for boarding and off loading. See my previous review for service comments. Boarding for a First class really needs an upgrade first class passengers deserve more. LAX arrival was unacceptable. Remote gate (ok that happens) but first class passengers were herded onto a packed bus for the ride to terminal. Come on not even a special bus for first and business pax? Not a way to get or keep premium passengers.
Cabin FlownFirst Class

American Airlines customer review

June 15-19 supposed to depart from Knoxville to Dallas to Las Vegas but were made to drive from Knoxville to Nashville. Route ended up being Nashville to Dallas to Las Vegas and vice versa. Our flight was changed several times by the airline before departure date. On the date of departure we received an automated phone call 3 hours before take off notifying us that our plane was delayed 4 hours. This interfered with our connecting flight and there was not another flight that would have us reaching our destination until the next day. I contacted the airline immediately and they confirmed that if they re-routed us we could reach our destination. We agreed to this and proceeded to the airport. Upon arrival we were unable to check in. An hour later it was discovered that when re-routing us the person had neglected to issue us a ticket and now our flight was over booked. Our only option was to drive 2.5 hours to another airport catch a flight there and then have 15 minutes between connecting flights that we were to try and get to the gate and board in time. Somehow we managed to make it and made it to our destination. On our return trip we again couldn't check in and had to see an attendant. Everyone we encountered was extremely rude and hateful. I will never fly American Airlines again.

American Airlines customer review

If you're looking for a company that will fly you in the least comfort at the highest price then look no further – you found it. It is inconceivable that American Airlines are still flying old planes with no individual entertainment systems on their transatlantic crossing and charging more than anyone else for the privilege. They didn't even show the film they advertised. We only flew from JFK to Buffalo (with a rival company) a flight of just over an hour and they had individual entertainment screens. To add insult to injury AA ran an ad telling us all how they are adding a new plane every week to their fleet! All I can say is watch out AA when Thomson starts flying the Dreamliner from Manchester to JFK in May 2015 I do not predict a very prosperous future for them.

American Airlines customer review

LHR-MIA 11 June 777-300ER in Main Cabin Extra. I read a lot of complaints about American but it is an American airline serving American tastes. It has no desire to compete with the significantly better Asian and Mid East airlines and it would seem quite happy with its 3-star rating. So don't expect too much! Main cabin extra is excellent and as my husband is a permanent gold card holder we were able to select these at no extra cost. The seats are wider and very comfortable. The extra legroom is a bonus. Everything else is as in economy. The IFE on the -300 is very swish with a large screen and huge content a marked improvement over the -200 and the 767. I've always found that if you are nice to the staff they are nice in return and this was the case on this flight. The service was prompt and efficient the food acceptable and staff were present throughout the flight. Take off and landing were about on time. Be nice keep your expectations reasonable and its ok.

American Airlines customer review

I booked a flight from LAX to Raleigh-Durham NC. 24 hours before the flight I went on the AA web site to 'Check- in' and obtain my 'Boarding Pass'. When I selected the option to check-in I was asked if I wanted to select a seat. I elected yes and was presented which several options for only 'Paid Seats' at $86/per seat. Thinking there were no other options I selected a seat and paid the $86 for both the departing and return trips. After making and paying $172 for seats the web site asked if I wanted my boarding pass. I said yes and I was offered the option for seat selections that required no extra fee. Feeling set-up wondering why I was not offered options for all available seats from the beginning I called the AA Customer service group and the agent informed me that they could not do anything about changing my seat to one that did not require an extra fee. I then wrote them to ask why I was lead into believing I could only purchase a seat when free seats were available they simply said 'you made the decision to purchase the seat and therefore there is nothing that can do'. After this frustrating experience on the outbound flight I requested a 'bloody mary mix' just after the stewardess handed one to the stewardess covering the first class group. I was informed that they no longer had any more. Things on the return flight were equally as bad. I was unable to print a boarding pass - web message said my reservation had been cancelled. When I attempted to call the customer service group at 11.00 pm EDT the auto attendant informed me that wait time to talk with an agent was 35 minutes. Needless to say after these experiences I will never fly this airline again.

American Airlines customer review

MIA-LHR 16 June 777-200. Used miles to upgrade from economy. Call centre staff very helpful with this. Our flight didn't have enough upgrades available for both of us but she checked the next flight and found two. We paid a small extra charge to change flights in addition to the usual miles and co-pay but well worth it. We were originally returning on the -300 so a bit disappointed. The 2-3-2 configuration is now old hat as are the seats. American made a big mistake not going for fully flat bed seats when they bought the -200 and the angle flat seats are very out of date. Having said that they were very comfortable with huge legroom. The angle is not as bad as some I've been on though and I managed several hours sleep overnight. Lots of space and a bit of room for your bits and pieces. Service was rushed on takeoff which I assume was because the flight left at 21.20 and they wanted to allow everyone to sleep as soon as possible. Lights were out before we asked for coffee and cognac but staff willing to continue serving us as long as were wanted. Staff were visible all night as far as I could see. Be nice to the staff and they will usually be nice to you. Almost always works as it did on this flight. Food was only average certainly not what I expect for business class - grossly overcooked steak destroyed broccoli thing and something else I couldn't identify. Breakfast was a lovely omelette but it came with another grossly overcooked and dry bit of steak. It was all well presented and served however with good crockery flatware and glass wine glasses. Interesting that they did trolley service rather than tray service I have previously had on American. IFE on the -200 is dated with a reasonable screen size but limited selection of movies. It broke down at the beginning of the flight and it took a very long reboot to get it going. Certainly not up to the standard on the -300. Bose noise-reducing headphones a great idea but they are collected an hour before landing. The map feature showing flight progress etc didn't work for the entire flight. American is not trying to be one of the significantly better Asian or Mid East airlines so don't expect it to be. Keep expectations reasonable and you will likely enjoy the flight. I did.

American Airlines customer review

LAX-LHR. Business check-in at American's terminal at LAX is a joke. 1 person to check in everyone while 2 customer service agents hang around telling us 'they're going as fast as they can'. Security was in a tiny airless room - I couldn't quite believe this was the entrance to the terminal. Once through we passed the main spacious security check-in - it was closed. At the Admirals Club things started to look up: it's large with friendly bartenders and table service for drinks. Surprised to be restricted to 2 drinks coupons though. I'm guessing it's because there are domestic passengers in the lounge too. The plane was at a remote stand so we had to take a bus out to it - this surprises me as you would have thought that LAX-LHR was a premium route and American would want to encourage passengers. On board the cabin in business class on the 777-300 is exceptional - probably best across the Atlantic. Huge seats comfy flat bed great IFE plenty of drinks and ok food. Cabin crew friendly enough. Easy to sleep on this plane. There was a delay due to a sick passenger on the incoming flight and then a minor maintenance issue - all the movies were on so we drank and watched films. Breakfast was plentiful and really fresh. Sorry to get off at LHR!

American Airlines customer review

We have just completed a round trip from the UK to USA two transatlantic flights and three internal flights. The first from London to Dallas was characterised by dreadful food (lunch being served immediately after an early morning take-off!) with very unfriendly and ungracious staff. The second flight from Dallas to El Paso was delayed for an hour at El Paso where we sat on the tarmac for an hour in temperatures of c.110F because of a failed air conditioning unit. Offered not so much as a glass of water. The delay meant that the car hire desk we were using was closed at El Paso. The second internal flight was from El Paso to Phoenix. This time the flight was delayed because the 'pontoon bridge' attaching the plane to the terminal was broken. Again we sat on the tarmac without refreshment. Again surly and uncooperative staff. We were sat at the back of the plane when drinks were finally offered there was very little choice left and no time to enjoy them. The third flight from Las Vegas to New York was relatively uneventful tho' with ungracious and charmless grumpy staff. The food on board was expensive terrible and tasteless. The final flight was delayed more than 2 hours at take off and just under two hours at landing. No staff would tell us what was going on the plane was changed and we were forced to split up our family seats and had to sit in different places on the plane. The food was inedible. Staff were not only surly but extremely rude. In all instances the planes were old shabby and dirty with worn through upholstery and carpets defective lavatories inflight entertainment was broken reading lights did not work fresh air vents that would not open or close and the worst cabin staff I have experienced.