American Airlines

"food and seating being the best part"

Las Vegas to London Heathrow via LAX, and I initially booked this fight with a 2 hour changeover in LAX. I had concerns when received an email from American Airlines advising of 45 minute changeover, I sent several emails advising of concern, their response was to request I call them in USA. I find it strange that a company that you are paying good money to, contacts you by one option but then you have to contact them by another, I feel this needs to be addressed, I never in the end used the phone as I have had to do this with other airlines wasting time and money and just hoped all would work out. Checked in at Las vegas 3 hours before flight and was told there was no Business Lounge for American Airlines, strange as their main competitor has one and there are other lounges which you can pay to go into, why does AA not do this? The internal flight to LAX was ok, plenty of legroom in Business seats with some recline, we were provided with a bag of chips and a drink. Changeover at LAX was very efficient, arrived at gate next to where we had to get our plane to LHR, arrived with 10 minutes until boarding started. Boarded plane with no greeting from cabin staff they seemed to be engaged in conversation with each other, this caused issues when seating as my wife had to go all the way back to the front. Seat was a great set up, same as Cathay Pacific. Good seat storage, good choice of movies on large screen and comfortable seat and bed, although those over 6 foot might find ther feet feel restricted with limited foot space when in lie flat mode. Cabin staff were efficient and professional although they were not vey welcoming and did not smile - I managed after many contacts to get a smile from a hostess, but it seems to me that most do not want to be doing this job? It is strange that American Airlines would not choose to focus more on customer service especially as this is their new flagship plane. Suitcaes arrived at detination which was good. Overall experience was reasonable with food and seating being the best part of the experience.
RouteLAS to LHR via LAX
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"we found the staff dismissive"

On both outbound and return trip with American Airlines from Los Angeles to London Heathrow, there were couples including ourselves who had been placed automatically into slightly suboptimal seating arrangements eg across an aisle or with a singleton between them or in different rows in close proximity. This encourages you to pay extra so you can sit together on a long flight. I am suspicious that they do this deliberately, and if so, this is a particularly cheap and dirty trick. Also, we were placed in the rearmost row, meaning you get no choice of meal when they run out of one meal option. When I asked if this is going to happen for every meal for the whole flight, the attendant was rude and said, of course - hadn't I ever flown before? An apology would have sufficed. We found the staff dismissive, talking amongst themselves while customers were disembarking instead of saying goodbye like they do on other airlines. They're clearly not a quality liner, and we won't be looking to fly with them again.
RouteLos Angeles to London Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"AA seems to be going down the tubes"

Received an email notification that our American Airlines JFK-SJU flight was delayed 3 hours, had to inform the Premium Check-in Desk Agent myself. At gate, was told that a new aircraft was being flown in. After waiting 3 hours was told that the aircraft was used for another flight instead. Re-routed via MIA on flight that got us to SJU seven hours later, which meant we missed an entire day of vacation. After asking about our bags (nobody communicated anything prior) had to reclaim bags and recheck with just 30 mins before MIA flight departed. On MIA flight, they knowingly put our 12-year-old in an emergency row (against FAA policy). Lack of communication, surly agents, cramped flights. American Airlines seems to be going down the tubes.
RouteJFK to SJU
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"Aaazingly, no issues with both flights "

Amazingly, no issues with both flights on American Airlines. Flight from MIA-DFW left on time. Boeing 777 is a great aircraft, the economy seats seem to be less cramped and overall flying experience is nice. Flight from DFW to YVR also on time, and the flight was full of people coughing and sneezing. I thought for sure I would get sick, but I didnt. That's obviously not the fault of the airline! The airline staff pleasant. I got what I paid for, a basic flight that took off and landed on time, all luggage arrived, no issues or problems.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 737-800
RouteMIA to YVR via DFW
Date FlownJuly 2015

"filthy run-down condition of plane interior "

I have many complaints about my first class trip with American Airlines this month from La Guardia to Charlotte, which were all answered with a canned response from American Airlines. I was most appalled by the filthy and run-down condition of the plane interior from on this flight. Since AA did not respond to my request to provide them with this photo of my first class armrest, perhaps they will view it here.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLGA to CLT
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"staff interaction simply in bad taste"

I have only flown American Airlines twice, once in 2012 and now in 2015. On both occasions I felt that staff interaction with me was simply in bad taste. On this most recent flight from Palm Beach to Dallas Ft Worth, I was delayed by staff at the counter because he wasn't sure about how to proceed with a passenger with an international destination. As soon as I told him my final destination was Cambodia, the look that came over face told me things might get bumpy (mind you this is in South Florida and they probably don't even know where Cambodia is). Nevertheless, after looking at my passport, he felt the need to get his manager. She comes out and tells me my visa is expired. Indeed, it was expired but she was looking at my Vietnamese visa. At this point I'm upset because I'm thinking, why are these people trying to stop me from getting on this flight? They were acting as if I just woke up that morning and decided I wanted to leave the country. I finally explained to the manager that American citizens can get a visa-on-arrival once they arrive in Cambodia. After she check on the internet to confirm, she issued my boarding pass and let me be on my way. The international leg of the trip from Dallas/Ft Worth was handled by Qatar Airways (who I love) so did we really need to go through all that? Back in 2012 I was sitting in First class and just before take-off, the attendant serving the first-class cabin comes to me, of all people, and asks “Where are you supposed to be sitting”? I was befuddled by her question because I was irrefutably sitting in my assigned seat! I don’t want to jump to conclusions but could her questing have been prompted by the fact that I look more like the average basketball player than the average businessman.
RoutePBI to DFW
Date FlownAugust 2015

"flight attendants had a bad attitude"

If I could give American Airlines zero stars I would, but the lowest I can go is a 1/10. Terrible and stressful experience! Worst airline I been on in years. We took a 7 day trip to Turks And Caicos in August. We arrived at Logan International Airport for our flight on August 27 to find out it has been cancelled. I was so irritated and we had to scramble to find another flight, deciding whether or not we would take another flight the next day or book another flight on the same day. Then we decided to book another flight to Chicago. We had to fly to 2 places before we officially got to Turks And Caicos! From Boston to Chicago then from Chicago to Miami and then from Miami to Turks And Caicos! Absolutely terrible. As if this wasn't bad enough, the planes were extremely old, and it looks as though they haven't been cleaned in a long time. Interior of the planes we flew were worn out, dusty and grimy. No personal TV's. The only TV's were those old fashioned TV's hanging from the ceiling every few rows that are largely defunct nowadays I was sitting pretty far away and couldn't even watch what was on there. Seats were old, worn out and very uncomfortable. Food was just terrible. Flight attendants were rude and had a bad attitude, making the flight even more miserable. The bathrooms were small and dirty. The return flight was somewhat better, but still quite unpleasant. We had to go the same route all over again. American Airlines is among the worst airline I have traveled.
RouteBOS to PLS via CHI/MIA
Date FlownAugust 2015

"they make journeys thoroughly unpleasant"

La Paz to London Heathrow via Miami with American Airlines. This was the worst journey ever. Disgusting staff attitude, no personal TV and terrible food. Missed our connection in Miami but their staff couldn't care less. It took us hours to get them to work with us and give us somewhere to stay overnight. We were told we missed the connection due to bad weather conditions, and apparently bad weather conditions is the fault of the passenger! Most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Cabin crew just seemed like they couldnt be bothered and were rolling their eyes at passengers, signing loudly and treated us very badly. Two staff members even had an argument in front of passengers. So unprofessional. Never fly with American Airlines, they make your journeys thoroughly unpleasant.
RouteLa Paz to London via MIA
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"go with a different airline"

I would give American Airlines no stars if possible, our flight was delayed for a mechanical issue last minute (even though the plane was sitting outside the terminal for 3 hours before the flight). Our delay continued as the pilot informed us we could not leave until the log was signed, that took another 30 minutes. We expressed concern about making our connecting flight, they told us it would be fine. It was not fine, we missed the flight, we landed at 7:00 am in Dallas, the flight was scheduled for a 7:05am take off, they left early at 6:58am. We were sent to 3 different gates trying to get on flights, had to rush with our bags all over the airport and finally had to settle for flying into Reagan rather than BWI where our car was. We agreed to this because the 2 women working with us said the airline would reimburse us the $55 shuttle ride if we wrote to them,. We were not offered a voucher for food at the airport or for a shuttle like we saw other customers being offered. I was just informed by customer service that they will not reimburse as it is not their policy, but they did try to give us two $100 vouchers to use on a future flight. If I was going to fly anywhere within the 1 year they give us to use them, I would not be doing it with American Airlines and $100 will not get you far with their prices. Do yourself a favor and go with a different airline. On top of all this they will put you in the oldest plane they can find for a 7 plus hour trip to and from Hawaii, and no WiFi of course.
RouteBWI to HNL via DFW
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"plane was old, dirty and horrid"

The American Airlines plane was old, dirty and horrid. Birmingham to JFK was a new flight started in May 2015 and they must have taken this plane from the scrap heap. They boarded us on time but sat us on the plane for 2 hours - nothing offered. Finally get going and actually make up a bit of time but then waited on tarmac at JFK for another 1.5hrs. Did we have to rush to get a connecting flight to Orlando. Security at JFK is a nightmare and we got on plane with minutes to spare. Closed the door, taxi out but then everything stopped and sat for another 1.5hrs. Got to Orlando, circle over Daytona for 1 hour land and then yet more time waiting to get to the terminal. We left UK at 0600, and arrived Orlando at midnight. 18 hours on the plane - never again.
RouteBirmingham to Orlando via JFK