American Airlines

American Airlines customer review

New York (JFK) to Antigua during the very bad snow on the US East Coast. Early morning departure was going well until we reached the gate and found that a problem with a burst pipe meant no baggage could be loaded. However assume this was a knock on from the weather conditions. We were kept relatively well informed about delay which extended to around 3 hrs. However the anticipation of arriving in 85 degrees warmth mitigated the delay. Service on aircraft was fine. We had seats with extra leg room. Inflight entertainment ok. Only soft drinks were free. We had an egg sandwich which was OK. Flight back was also delayed slightly but made up time to arrive near to scheduled time. No queue at immigration. However all this came to nought due to baggage problem at aircraft which meant we waited an hour for bags to arrive. No complaints about flight crew either way - clearly not as customer focused as Non US airlines but efficient.

American Airlines customer review

Flew RDU-LHR on a free economy ticket. I prefer other airlines but the RDU-LHR non-stop convenience trumps all. It also gives me the opportunity to judge the progress of the AA/USAir merger. On the downside the venerable 767-300 is one year older (27 years and counting) still has the mail slot overhead storage bins the ancient hanging screen entertainment and the excruciatingly uncomfortable seats. I did notice that this old warhorse had been updated with blended winglets to save money which I'm certain they pass along to those paying for tickets. On board the hot breakfast croissant has been replaced with a box of sugar laden treats and the dinner has regressed from merely uninteresting to inedible. The flight attendants are excellent given what they have to work with - even giving up their crew rest seats to accommodate the spring breakers who made this a 100% full flight. On the plus side a current movie that I had considered paying to see (Whiplash) swift check-in and 45 minutes early into LHR. AA doesn't seem challenged to upgrade their transatlantic game but unless you're flying from RDU there must be a better option to get from the U.S. to the UK.

American Airlines customer review

Flew JFK to Manchester. First disaster came when checking in for flight to be told as a group of 6 we couldn't be seated together. Then it got worse as we couldn't be sat as couples unless we paid $260.00 per couple. Once on board we were sat apart. The cabin crew were at best unkempt and rude. The meal we were served was awful. Only 1 toilet was working for the full economy cabin on a 757 this is not good on a 6 hour flight. Overall a disappointing experience and will not fly on American again.

American Airlines customer review

AA 280 ICN to DFW. Was flying with an economy ticket got an upgrade to business kind of last minute. Aboard as my husband was flying in first class (empty cabin) the purser invited me to join him. What a difference it makes. So glad for the double upgrade in the same flight. Service was good purser was friendly service oriented and professional. The 777-200 is showing its age but the first class suite is still very comfortable.

American Airlines customer review

Flying home from Rochester NY to Los Angeles CA I had to change planes in Chicago. Our flight from Rochester landed with plenty of time to make the connecting flight. One problem is that we had to park on the tarmac for one and a half hours. Another plane was occupying the gate. When we reached the gate it took the employees forever to bring up the valeted bags. I missed the connecting flight and it was late in the evening so there wasn't any available flights. I asked about other airlines in the morning and was told nothing was available. I was given stand-by for AA in the morning and if I didn't make that then an 8.05 pm flight was booked for me. AA wouldn't pay for a hotel room so I was on my own. Once I got to a hotel and started my computer I found a United and Virgin America flight for the morning. Of course it cost me more money but I had a meeting the next day and couldn't risk the stand-by status. What a difference dealing with Virgin America customer service over American Airlines. I will only use AA as a last resort in my future trips. American couldn't tell me how many people were on stand-by for the morning flight so I could evaluate my chance of boarding.

American Airlines customer review

JFK-MIA-JFK. Priority check-in at JFK was awful. The AA staff were absolutely rude and unhelpful to the point that she was yelling. It was an appalling experience. Things got better on-board first leg on a newly configured 767 as a last minute equipment change. The new First Class seats are extremely comfortable. There were tons of storage space and it went completely flat. Flight attendants on this flight were very friendly pro-active and interactive. Breakfast was delicious and creative. Overall an absolutely delightful flight the new cabin is gorgeous. Return flight in Main Cabin Extra and this time ground staff in MIA was much friendlier than JFK. Exit row seats were comfortable and entertainment options were decent. Overall another great experience with AA despite the bad impression at JFK.

American Airlines customer review

What is the point in paying extra for Priority when the seats are still the same size? Not to mention the overhead bins are not full yet you made me check my one carry-on. This is ridiculous. I planned ahead and packed lightly so I could use a small carry bag. I have an appointment when I land and cannot wait for Baggage Claim. What should have been offered was Priority Baggage PickUp. These items should come off the plane first and be stowed with strollers or other items along with First Class baggage. I will avoid this airline at all costs going forward.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

American Airlines customer review

DUS-ORD-Tampa-LAX-ORD-DUS. We fly on European carriers quite often - but American Airlines have made an art of employing non caring - ignorant and unfriendly staff. I have never encountered such condescending flight attendants - and such arrogance. We flew from Dusseldorf to Chicago as first leg. The seat allocation was a disaster at the airport - my wife was in a middle seat 6 rows behind me. When we asked the check in crew to change it - we were told to take care of it at the gate at the gate we were told to sort it with the cabin crew and the cabin crew? Not our problem - you should have taken care of it before boarding - end of interest. Only after I really got angry - and walked off the plane - telling them to get my luggage off - a steward from the front end of the plane got involved and shuffled people around so we could sit together. Our friendly stewardess then managed to ignore us for the whole trip. Second leg - we were on the last row of an ancient DC9 - with the galley next to us and a toilet door that would not close properly. Return trip uneventful - but one thing is certain - never again American.

American Airlines customer review

AA78 DFW-LHR March 6 2015. What a disappointing flight on one of AA's ancient 777-200 cabin feels more like a prison cell than business class. Seats in 2-3-2 configuration (haven't had this for 15 years now). Instead of lie- flat seats they still offer lie in s-style and be careful not to slip down to the floor while you sleep. Stewardess climbing over me to cut off the way she had to walk. Food was disappointing as well. Only highlight was the wine selection that was a little bit better than ok. No way that I will use AA again.

American Airlines customer review

DFW-LHR in B773. Not sure what other people want but I got what I expected. Good steak for dinner accompanied with a nice Pinot Noir form New Zealand seat turns into a comfortable bed IFE is excellent flight attendants had right mix of anticipating what you need and leaving you in peace. on the down side overhead bin space is limited compared to Business cabin.