Top 100 Airports

American Airlines

"will be using a different airline"

Verified Review | Ft Myers to Dallas with American Airlines. Our flight was delayed an hour and half and we would miss our next connecting flight. There were no other flights that day so they booked flights for us the next day. We were pleasantly surprised that we would be put up in a hotel free of charge for the night until we got to the hotel only to be told that no one had called from the airline to book our room and we were not given the proper documentation to do so. We called the 800 number and were rudely told they did not handle hotel issues over the phone and that we needed to return to the airport. When we got to the airport no one was behind the desk so we paged for an employee to come to the desk twice. We waited for over 30 minutes before a supervisor showed up behind the desk. As we started to talk she hardly made eye contact and rudely told us "I am off the clock, I can't help you, were closed" and continued walking out the door. We then called the 800 number again and we talked to a very helpful employee who was able to contact another supervisor who was still at the airport. This supervisor was very nice and fixed our problem right away. She printed off our hotel voucher and even gave us complimentary breakfast for in the morning. Prior to this experience we have always enjoyed flying with AA and were considering becoming Advantage members, but after this experience we will be using a different airline in the future.
RouteRSW to DFW
Date FlownAugust 2016

"A321 is super comfortable"

Verified Review | I flew from Charlotte to Boston with American Airlines on the late night flight. The boarding was slow. The interior of the aircraft was very clean. The seats were very comfortable. The lavatory was tidy. The airplane equipment was clean and comfortable but customer service was bad. The flight attendants were rude. There was a menu for the meal, I asked them for food, they rudely replied my we do not provide you food on this flight. Then I wondered, why the menu was there if they do not serve the food? But anyway, this A321 plane is super comfortable and I would recommend flying American Airlines.
RouteCLT to BOS
Date FlownAugust 2016

"where has customer service gone"

Verified Review | I purchased a ticket for my fiancé to join me in my hometown to go on my niece's first ever camping trip. I was already in town and was going to pick him up late last night so we could drive the 5hrs in the early morning. He waited at the PHX airport last night from 5:30pm until past 10pm (flight originally scheduled to depart at 8:15pm) when he was finally told his flight was rescheduled for the following morning (today). He then went home and back to the airport today for his supposed flight at 10am, which again was cancelled. This has ruined our trip and their online refund tool only accounts for the ticket price not taxes or surcharges, transportation (he took 3 additional Uber's), or our return flight which he will no longer be able to take. We have been looking forward to this trip for months and do not get to see my niece very often, this is devastating for us. My fiancé even took days off work that he will no longer be able to get back. He even called late last night to verify that the flight this morning was scheduled because he could not find it online, the woman who answered was extremely rude and told him it was scheduled, which was not true. This company is constantly a disappointment, where has the customer service gone?
RoutePHX to PDX
Date FlownAugust 2016

"significantly better than BA"

Despite the many negative reviews I have read about American Airlines, I found this Philadelphia to Athens return trip to offer a significantly better product than British Airways, which I flew exclusively for many years on transatlantic flights. With AA, my partner and I were able to choose regular economy seats for free in advance, and the A330 with its 2x4x2 configuration is preferable to the dense 3x3x3 configuration BA offers out of PHL (no stranger sitting next to us). Also, the seat pitch is better then BA's new claustrophobic arrangement, and the seats themselves were much more comfortable. In addition, the A330 offered individual air vents, which BA do not on their aircraft out of PHL, allowing me to better control the temperature. The food on AA was better than BA as well, and complimentary wine was offered with meals, with refills freely provided. The AVOD system worked well and a USB power port was provided at each seat. Flight attendants on both flights were very courteous, and the ATH-PHL segment featured a warm meal, followed later by ice cream, followed by a snack, and then followed with a warm sandwich and a muffin prior to landing - very impressed. After this experience I will be choosing AA for all my future transatlantic travel out of PHL.
RoutePHL to ATH
Date FlownAugust 2016

"this is where the frustration kicks in"

Verified Review | I have traveled a great deal during my 46 years, and I've experienced plenty of delays, cancellations, and typical air travel mishaps. However, on a recent flight with American Airlines back from New York we landed at Chicago O'Hare Airport on a bright, sunny Sunday afternoon only to learn that our 11.20 am flight back into Cedar Rapids had been cancelled. When we went to rebooking, we quickly learned there were no available seats to CID until the next day at 10.00 am. Now this is where the frustration kicks in. Rebooking told us to find a gate agent, they would be able to help. We found a gate agent and asked for help. She educated us that rebooking should have sent us to the main ticket desk. So, we went back out through security to the main ticket counter. There we were told we would not receive any compensation for rental car, or hotel. Clearly this was not a weather related issue. I just think when the airlines causes you pain, and it's their fault, they should pay.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteLGA to CID via ORD

"what a pleasant flight"

(Swaziland)

Verified Review | Having heard a lot of unsettling stories about American Airlines, I was very anxious flying with them having booked the ticket through my agency. So leaving San Francisco we were informed about a delay due to a storm in Dallas Fort Worth that made more uncomfortable, but DFW cleared us for take off. What a pleasant flight, the captain was full of courtesy informing us of flying time and we made it. On the flight from DFW to JFK we couldn't check in online, and we were late and almost missed our flight. It reflected full but we had empty seats on take off. Worth noting though is the nice lady who allowed us to board and checked in our four bags, when the other lady was wasting our time and refusing to even check us in. Inflight the crew were excellent, however the plane looked out of shape and the toilet had a nasty smell. Thanks for changing my mind American Airlines.
RouteSFO to JFK via DFW
Date FlownAugust 2016

"service has deteriorated badly"

Verified Review | Seattle to Fort Lauderdale via Dallas with American Airlines. This criticism is less about the flight rather the complete lack of service by AA at Seattle Airport. We arrived for our flight home to Florida to find a long, long line of waiting passengers. Eventually a man from American Airlines walked along the line and told us "All flights out are cancelled due to bad weather in Dallas, wait in line to see what options are available " After a 3 hour wait (I am 68 years old and with a bad back) where American had 1 staff member working for economy passengers and 5 others that I counted standing around doing nothing we gave up and went to try to find a hotel. Where is the concept or understanding of "Customer Service"? Is is completely beyond the ability of American Airlines to get their staff to actually serve their customers or is it that they just don't care about anyone anymore? I despair at how service has deteriorated so badly and I certainly won't fly American again.
RouteSEA to FLL via DFW
Date FlownAugust 2016

"they could not help me"

Verified Review | American Airlines overbooked for the leg of my trip from Philadelphia to Chicago, then decided to use a different type of airplane, which apparently required calling in a different crew. As a result I was delayed in Philadelphia for two hours, then held on the runway at Chicago for an hour, which caused me to just miss my connecting flight from Chicago to Oklahoma City. When we finally did arrive at the gate in Chicago, there was no one there to assist me in getting another flight, despite the fact that the delay was due to their decisions and also despite the fact that I was supposed to have wheelchair service at all stops. I also did not have wheelchair service at Philadelphia like I was supposed to. I am disabled and I ended up having to walk the Chicago O'Hare concourse to a different gate I was directed to, only to be told at that gate that they could not help me and I would need to use the rebooking phone to book the remainder of my flight home myself. To top it off, the rebooking phone agent was not able to assist me with hotel or food vouchers, or with information about my bags. For that, I had to stand in the domestic ticketing line for two hours, then I was issued a hotel voucher that ended up being worthless because too many vouchers were issued for that hotel, and they were full. By the time I discovered this, the AA domestic ticket counter was closed for the night, so my only option was to book a hotel last minute on my own. I have emailed AA customer service, but have so far received no reply, despite the fact that it has been four days since I emailed. There is no way to reach customer service by phone, you are always directed back to their email on the website.
RouteELM to OKC via PHL / ORD
Date FlownAugust 2016

"service was good and kind"

Flight AA56 from Miami to London Heathrow with American Airlines. I flew in Main Cabin Extra on a Boeing 777-300ER. The groud service in Miami checked our bags even though you were supposed to do it on your own at a digital kiosk. When I boarded I didn't find a toothbrush set on my seat which is very disappointing on an overnight flight. The legroom was amazing, and that's what you expect when flying Main Cabin Extra. The seats were a bit wider than in normal Economy but didn't recline enough. They weren't as comfortable as the soft and comfy BA B747 ones and I wasn't able to sleep at all. The IFE was good with a huge range of music, many TV shows, and a adequate music on- demand radio choice. The power outlets were universal and it charged fast unlike the USB plug of the IFE. The service was good and kind, provided 3 drinks but you can ask them anytime to give you another one. The meal (I chose pasta) was pretty good, and came with a salad with dressing, a bun, crackers, cheddar, butter and a brownie. The breakfast was a fat free strawberry yougurt, a little bag of cereal for the yogurt, a cranberry snack and a flat over-processed muffin. The landing in London was the most comfortable landing i've ever had and I enjoyed the flight but it's very unfortunate I wasn't able to sleep.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteMIA to LHR
Date FlownAugust 2016

"lack of customer service was abysmal"

The trip started in Orlando for our 7.45pm Aug 13th flight to Santa Cruz Bolivia (AA313). After 5 gate changes and an hour-ish delay we finally boarded. We then sat on the tarmac for another hour while ground crew loaded baggage. We finally take off and arrive in Miami expecting to have to have someone at American Airlines find us another flight to Santa Cruz. But, the flight to La Paz/Santa Cruz had been delayed also. We ran and made that plane only to sit on the Tarmac in Miami for another hour plus (the other passengers had been waiting much longer than that). Finally we took off for La Paz where we were to remain on the plane for our continuing flight to Santa Cruz. We waited, and waited and after around 2 hours the captain informed us that the crew had passed it's legal time and was deplaning. So we deplaned and went through customs. Finally we arrived at the AA counter where we stood another 2 hours in line only to be given an 80.00 bolivian voucher for breakfast which didn't come close to paying for anything to eat but we appreciated the effort. AA apparently was not able to complete its obligation to get us to our destination so they put us on a BOA plane and got us to Santa Cruz after another nearly 6 hour wait. The last part may not come as a surprise but for good measure the luggage was still sitting in Miami when we arrived in Santa Cruz. AA made me pay for a taxi the next day to go back to the airport to pick up my luggage and be subjected to searches and immigration all over again. I have never had this kind of experience and the lack of customer service was abysmal.
RouteMCO to VVI via LPB