American Airlines

"Overall a great experience"

Trip Verified | Seoul to Dallas Fort Worth. Overall, a great experience with AA on a long haul flight, but some minor things could make it a little better. A few days prior to my flight, I attempted to upgrade my seat online. I work in IT so I know what I'm doing. The AA web-page kept asking me to update some details, which I did, but kept coming back and saying that they were not updated. As a result, I was unable to pay and do an upgrade. Tried this five times on different days, same result. Met a couple in Inchon who had exactly the same problem. Please fix your web-page! Despite explaining very slowly, AA staff at Inchon at check in did not upgrade me either, even though the seat was available. Fortunately, just prior to boarding, found a staff member who understood English properly, and she did my upgrade, thanks! The flight was great; fast, quiet, food and drinks were nice, and cabin crew were very polite and kind, but who on earth selected these ultra small seats? Difficult to eat your meal without knocking your neighbor with your elbows. Please, even take out just ONE row would make the whole thing 100% better. Feel sorry for the cabin crew, impossible to get past one of them in the aisle if the food trolleys are in use. Despite all of this, I'm going to give good marks due to the newness of the aircraft, and the professionalism of the cabin crew. Captain had a great sense of humor too. Will be happy to fly AA again.
RouteSeoul to Dallas Fort Worth

"service was very good"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Amsterdam. The Flight was on time but I booked a ticket with code share flight with Finnair and I can`t reserve my seats and cannot check in online so the booking process was bad. The service on the airport and in the airplane was very good.
RouteDallas to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2018

"seat was comfortable"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Chicago to Los Angeles. The seat was comfortable. The tray table was just disgusting. The cabin crew was unfriendly (Not all attendants). I bought a chicken wrap, it was okay. My IFE had a problem so it took a long time to fix it.
RouteChicago to Los Angeles
Date FlownAugust 2018

" Worst flight I’ve taken"

Trip Verified | Phoenix to Ontario. Worst flight I’ve ever taken. Would’ve rather flown southwest like i usually do. They over booked the flight and didn’t have room for my bag so they sent it on a flight 7 hours later. Only served water and juice not even club soda or any other kind of drink. The plane was so small it was just miserable. Wouldn’t fly American airlines again.
RoutePhoenix to Ontario
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not much of a rewards program"

Not Verified | Boston to Philadelphia. It was incredibly difficult to book using points on American. They seem to really want to discourage use of points. It took and hour and three phone calls to book a simple one way domestic flight. The website is convoluted and very difficult to navigate. Then I was shocked to see a $75 redemption fee. For what, a lot of aggravation? There not making enough money? It's not much of a rewards program. Bring back US Airways
AircraftEmbrear
RouteBoston to Philadelphia
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"I was completely ignored"

Trip Verified | I recently flew American Airlines for the first time on a trip to New York. My negative experience started right from the check in, where (with BA) I am used to dropping my bags, checking in and selecting my seat in less than 5 mins. In contrast, the check-in agents from American took 25 mins in total to override the computer to check my bags, and the same to select seats for my travel companion and myself. Obviously at LHR T3 I opted to use the Qantas, and Cathay First lounges - which are fantastic. Once onboard I started to really notice the difference in service and etiquette from other airlines. As being a top tier flyer and even when flying economy, on other OW carriers I am always greeted personally by a member of the crew, but on American I was completely ignored. Food and drink service was just average, I made the mistake in forgetting to order a special meal. I wouldn't bother trying to ask for another drink after service has finished. I politely waved at an attendant as she passed for the cabin and asked for another drink, and her response was very unenthusiastic. She returned 5 mins later and I thanked her, her response was shark "OK" and she disappeared. A seat mate pressed the call button as he needed water, and was scolded by one of the attendant, so for the rest of the flight I was too scared to ask for anything. In summary, the ground crew are grossly incapable and as for the onboard service. Well I think you would have a better experience on Ryanair.
RouteNew York JFK to London Heathrow
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"won’t fly this airline anymore"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Los Angeles. Got delayed 2 hours in VPS destin airport because American Airlines flight wasn’t there on time. Then we fly into Dallas and missed our direct flight to Tokyo. So we were rerouted and waited 12 hours at the Dallas airport. Finally boarded for our flight to LA then Taiwan reroute to Tokyo. So when we got on the plane from Dallas to LA, the airplanes starts smelling like burnt plastic. The power goes out and then we are asked to deplane. The the fire alarm goes off at the gate. So we deplane and are rerouted to another terminal. By this time we’ve waited all day and it’s approaching midnight. (We got into Dallas at 1230pm) not one to complain, but at this point we’re ready to bunk down. But the airline thought it was best to give us a $12 meal voucher and call it good. And customer service was short. So won’t be flying with this airline anymore.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Los Angeles

"made me check my bag"

Trip Verified | Dallas/Fort Worth to Detroit. They made me check my bag after I put it in the box that measures if it will fit in the overhead bin. It was snug, but fit just fine. There were people upfront and behind me with bigger bags. They all got to bring there bag on the plane. It's like she was picking on me. I don't know what I did to make her call me out. I was just going thru the line with a smile. And, she wasn't even nice about it. It was obviously personal, but I have no clue what made her want to pick on me.
RouteDallas/Fort Worth to Detroit

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. Still trying to make the 48 minute flight home. This is 13 hours after our scheduled flight. DFW to Tulsa - maintenance light, pilots ran out of time, deboarded, 2 hours, reboarded, maintenance light again, deboarded, sent to seedy hotel for 1.5 hours, back at 5 am for 7am flight. New rescheduled flight: Sitting on the plane for the last 20 minutes, guess what - maintenance! They are trying to decide what to do. I am going to rent a car. Seriously. Get better systems in place.
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Tulsa

"I want my money back"

Not Verified | Orange County to Myrtle Beach. I had a business meeting scheduled for next week in Myrtle Beach and my company had to cancel due to the hurricane. I called American Airlines to request a refund and I was told they don't give refunds. They only give credit towards a future flight. I don't want credit as the meeting is canceled and there will be no future flight in the near future. I called my credit card company as I used my mileage to buy the tickets, and they can only refund my miles if AA refunds my ticket purchase. I'm losing both ways because American Airlines will not refund my money, and my credit card company will not refund my milage until AA refunds my ticket purchase. I wish I could give American Airlines a 0, but that is not an option. I want my money back AA, I don't want credit, I don't want your excuses. I did not receive what I paid for. I only received your excuses why you don't care about your customer. It costs you nothing to refund my money, well, maybe $1 in time. I do not trust American Airlines.
RouteOrange County to Myrtle Beach