American Airlines

Review by (Spain)

I'm one of the passengers of AAL 95 flight that had to leave today August 29th at 10:55 AM heading from Madrid to New York. We had a technical problem half an hour after starting the journey and we have been informed that we returned to Barajas airport to repair it. Once there, just over half an hour later they informed us that the problem was solved but they had to consult with Dallas if the flight crew could conduct in question or not. Minutes later, they told us that regrettably could not make the trip and moved all the passengers to a hotel with expenses paid. Moreover, we confirmed that the flight would leave the next day at 9:00 AM and we had to be at the airport at 6:00 am in order to embark. What is our surprise now, in the hotel where we are staying, they have been placed for a notice explaining that the flight will start tomorrow at 9:00 PM by decision of the pilot. After calling the airline does not give us any reason to delay the flight 12 hours. We have wasted two whole days.
RouteMadrid to New York

Review by (Malta)

London to New York with American Airlines. The cabin crew were friendly, food was tasty, and the trip was comfortable. For a relatively long flight, it was pleasant, and more comfortable than many flights I've been on.
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (Egypt)

Paris CDG to New York JFK I only flew American Airlines because all of the one-stop flights from Cairo to New York via Qatar Airways were full, and I figured that one transatlantic flight on American Airlines was worth it to experience Qatar Airways business class between Doha and CDG. Boarding was slightly problematic. They announced business class boarding, and when I walked up to go through, I was rudely told that only business class passengers were boarding. It was assumed that due to my appearance that I couldn't possibly be a business class passenger, but once they realized the mistake, no apology was forthcoming. The plane was obviously old and the IFE personal entertainment screen was small, with a very limited selection of movies and television shows. When "The Good Wife" is the most interesting series available, there's a problem. However, the seat worked, and the flight attendants were nice, even though they didn't go the extra mile- everyone had to take care of their own carry-on and put it in the overhead bin. My special Halal meal was great, for both the main course and snack selectio". My main course was similar to everyone else's in terms of presentation, but my snack was even better - instead of the Croque Monsieur Sandwich or Thai sandwich that the other passengers got, I got an awesome shrimp dish. The flight wasn't bad, per se, but if you're going to fly business class, there are many better airlines out there.
RouteCDG to JFK

Review by (Switzerland)

London Heathrow to New Orleans via JFK, LGA, CLT, DFW, on Boeing 777-300ER, A321/319 and Canadair RJ900. I had a code share flight from Geneva with British Airways but I had to change terminal which meant clearing security again - American Airlines has very few European connections at Heathrow so I'd rather transit elsewhere, given the choice. While free wine and beer is a welcome addition in economy class, the food is still lacking in quality and served in little black boxes that give an industrial feel. Integration with US Airways is incomplete; I had a domestic flight segment operated with a US Airways flight number but an aircraft with American Airlines livery on the outside (and US Airways inside) and there was no way to know whether I'd have to pay for my luggage. It ended up costing me $25 from LGA to MSY - no prior warning (and another website that declared the charge would have been cheaper overall). Change of airport required for a connection in New York so I spent a few days there. Generally the cabin crew were pretty friendly and I appreciated the interiors in the new Boeing 777-300ER with individual IFE. On the way home, they would have wanted me to pay $25 to choose any other seat on my flight from MSY to DFW but the back row; $75 to choose anything but a middle seat between DFW and LHR. I thought this was stingy, especially since I checked in early. Also, when I tried to check in online, the AA website sent me to US Airways and then US Airways sent me back to AA. With my BA legs I had 3 different booking codes (I had to find the US Airways one from Check My Trip). Flight out of LGA was late - the captain never came on to explain why it took so long to taxi to the runway - but the crew were great, eg. making people change seats just before landing so that anyone with a tight connection got an aisle seat. Overall I felt that this experience was not bad; better than United but I would always choose a European Airline over American Airlines if I could. A lot of disabled people were helped by the ground crew which was good. While the apps were pretty bad in the sense that check in was hard and so was getting my own boarding pass - it's not possible to download it to the app. I did. however, appreciate the Wifi luggage checking facility - you can scan your baggage tag and see if your bags made it to the plane through the onboard wifi.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER, A321/319
RouteLondon to New Orleans

American Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

Customer service non-existent. D and E gates at Charlotte Douglas Airport are a zoo. Planes are old and interiors dirty and in some cases broken seats or tears in the storage pockets - they look tattered and beat. With some exception the flight attendants act like they are doing you a favor with a surly attitude. I will give them the rest of the year to show some improvement and if no, I will switch to one of their competitors.
AircraftDash 8 and Airbus 320
RouteGSO to SFO via CLT

Review by (United Kingdom)

I recently flew with my husband and 10 year old daughter and was absolutely appalled with every part of American Airlines, from the staff to the aircraft itself. The customer service was just non existent, the staff were rude and abrupt. The cabin crew were scruffy and had appalling manners. As for the plane itself well where do I start, a 7 hour flight to New York, no TVs , no radio, no inflight entertainment whatsoever. We were given an extremely thin blanket a pillow so small a 2 year old would have struggled to use it. The food was horrendous. When I complained I was told I should have brought my own if I didn't like it. We were offered 2 drinks throughout the whole flight.
RouteManchester to JFK New York

Review by (United Kingdom)

My experience travelling from Quito in Ecuador (UIO) to EWR via MIA with American was truly a very poor experience. Firstly I had a problem with my initial flight to UIO on a different airline but same alliance (One World) on an unlinked itinerary - zero assistance from American - I would be still be in Ecuador only for the help from LAN Ecuador. Rude, unhelpful and petty rule driven check in employees at AA in Quito Airport causing long lines at check in. Old B767 - my standard overhead carry on bag would not fit in the bins. In Flight Entertainment was limited to an old overhead screen about 20" Poor food offering - meal service took over an hour to be cleared and there was no further beverage service through the flight. Had to ask for Blanket and Pillow. Cabin Crew who went through the motions but were not engaged with passengers. Glad to get off the AA plane and hope that I never have to fly American Airlines again.
RouteUIO to EWR via MIA

Review by (United Kingdom)

I really enjoyed this airline. It was I'd say the cabin crew was 95.9% polite and I enjoyed the food. Since I was in economy, you'd normally think the legroom would have no leg-room. I thought there was plenty of space since I am of an average height. The toilets were great and the 9 hour flight was worth it. I would say they could've come round a bit more often, but other than that everything was great. I will be definitely taking this airline again.
RouteLHR to MIA
Date FlownMay 2015

American Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

Scheduled flight to leave on Sunday August 16, 2015 from Sea/Tac at 1:31pm. The plane that we were going to use pulled up to pick us up. Then some "newly hired flight attendant" activates the slide - see the photo. Evidently once the slide has been deployed out the side of the plane, you can't just poke it back in and fly away. Also, who would have guessed that there isn't a backup plane available. So now we have to wait until 8pm for another plane to fly from Dallas to pick us up. Does it take 6 hours to fly from Dallas to Seattle? I think not. We are notified that we will miss all our connecting flights. The next seats available to Des Moines aren't until Tuesday or Wednesday. Well that isn't going too well with our employers, so we negotiate through a supervisor with "finance" to get reimbursement should we fly to another city and take ground transport home. BTW, we were offered snacks for sale and a movie headphone for sale while we were on our flight with 200 passengers that also sat at the airport all day waiting for this flight. Absolutely rude. Okay so we were up all night flying and arrived in nearby city at 9:30am on Monday so we could drive home 2 more hours. We were sleep deprived but finally home around noon on Monday. Sent email asking for refund for airline tickets and ground transport. We are being offered a voucher for airline tickets with American and nothing for ground transport. They say because we took a flight to another destination that they don't pay for ground transport.
RouteSEA to DSM via DFW

Review by (Sweden)

The new American Airlines business class on the Boeing 777 is very good with two exceptions. First, catering needs a serious upgrade. The food was barely edible, and I must admit although I like ice cream for dessert, my expectations are a bit higher when travelling business class on a long-haul flight. The so called "Champagne" is Prosecco, which is a fine Italian product, but not Champagne by a long shot. I would suggest that American Airlines should either offer the real thing, or call it Prosecco. My second exception has to do with the comfort of the seat. It is great for sleeping, but for day-time travel it is not very comfortable.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER