Vote Now

American Airlines

"incompetent and apathetic"

Unverified | Eagle County to New York JFK. Flight 1163 scheduled departure 21 February at 9am. In airport overnight. Ready for takeoff and detected defect in an anti skid device. Despite availability of three major airports within 1 hr, we had to wait for a part to be sent from LAX. Incomplete part arrived at 1pm. Flight plan changed to 8:45 pm on a return on a flight pending from JFK to EGE. Notices in airport and by American Airlines APP notice continuously inconsistent resulting in inability to select an option. Of course we had plans for next two days destroyed. Systems and management completely incompetent and apathetic. One wonders why a checkout and debriefing are not done when plane arrives rather that just before takeoff. Ignorance is bliss. This type of management is not exemplary.
RouteEagle County to New York JFK
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I can say is it's hit or miss"

Verified Review | Punta Cana to Sacramento. At first I was going to give a really bad review because our flight from Sacramento to Miami had the absolute worst service ever, the flight attendants were rude, ignored you etc. But we are returning from Punta Cana with a layover in Charlotte and that was such good service. Everyone was nice and made sure you enjoyed your flight. So all I can say is it's hit or miss - they aren't all bad. I wish I knew the names of the flight attendants but if your flying from Punta Cana and stop in Charlotte they have excellent service. So I will give them a 5/10
RoutePunta Cana to Sacramento
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"zero flexibility, highly disappointed"

Verified Review | Unreliable. I was scheduled to fly from Tuscon, AZ with a final destination to Fairbanks, AK. Due to several fight delays, I missed every single one of my connecting flights putting me into my final destination the following day. I explained to the counter and customer service reps that I was active duty, and needed to arrive the same day. There was nothing AA could do. Now I'm flying out on a delayed flight to sit another 3 hrs in an airport that still won't allow me to make my connecting flight to Fairbanks, AK. American Airlines has zero flexibility. Highly disappointed, will be flying Delta for those tight schedules from now on.
RouteTucson to Phoenix
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Don't fly with these guys"

Verified Review | Denver to London via Chicago. Third long haul and third massive delay on the return. American Airlines is not only budget but also can't ever seem to run on time or manage decent connection. Thank you again for wasting yet another day of mine. Little apology, little solutions and just another disaster. Don't fly with these guys.
RouteDenver to London via Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"do not care about their customers"

Verified Review | Philadelphia to Cancun. I had booked a flight with American Airlines and the flight ended being changed to later times. I was on my way to my honeymoon with my wife and we had previously reserved seats for them to be together. After realizing that these time changes were huge inconviences their customer service refused to allow for us to schedule our seats together and insisted we needed to pay a 100$ fee in order to get two seats together. Due to the change, the fact that there were already seats scheduled to be together on the previous flight, and the fact that we were taking their airline to Dublin, Ireland once we got back and they still did not budge proves that they do not care about their customers. For those who are not flying on their business credit card sure seem to be worthless in their corporate eyes. I could not be more disappointed with their customer service department or lack of its existence. This experience has definitely led me to start doing more research on airlines that I travel on. I will not being using this airline in the future due to their lack of empathy for others traveling situations with no care for the customers' concerns in mind.
RoutePhiladelphia to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"cabin-crew well-trained and cordial"

Verified Review | Flew from New York-JFK to Charlotte with American Airlines. The check-in staff at JFK was friendly and helpful with my overweight baggage. I was even able to check-in my cabin baggage for free at the gate, which made my journey easier and more comfortable. Although the aircraft was spacious, it was slightly old and not in a very good condition. You have a variety of sodas and coffee or tea to choose from for your complimentary drinks which comes with a packet of pretzels. There is no complimentary wi-fi on board, which is disappointing after travelling on airlines like JetBlue. The cabin-crew was well-trained and cordial during the flight. AA staff at JFK was great and managed to get this flight to Charlotte on time.
RouteNew York JFK to Charlotte
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin clean and spacious"

Verified Review | Flew from Albany to Charlotte with American Airlines. The cabin was clean and spacious. Considering the flight was full, I hope AA considers using larger and more spacious aircrafts on this route. The complimentary F&B included a scarce variety of sodas or coffee and a packet of pretzels, which was disappointing after travelling in some other airlines like JetBlue. There was no complimentary WiFi on board for this flight. The staff at Albany and Charlotte was friendly and professional, giving a nice start and end to the journey. The person at the gate checked-in my cabin baggage for free, which added to my comfort. The boarding was well-organized as well. In a nutshell, the staff at AA is well-trained and the airline has got its tasks well sorted out, which negates unnecessary hassles I have witnessed at other airlines.
RouteAlbany to Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2016

"interior of the plane was in such poor condition"

Verified Review | Flew American Airlines from Piedmont Triad Airport to Las Vegas via Charlotte. I was shocked at how the interior of the plane was in such a poor condition. On the top of the seats it looked like they were coming apart and the plane was dirty too. The flights were on time and the staff were acceptable. I fly American because they are the most convenient to use and that is the only reason. I recommended this airline because they are not any different than the other airlines flying in the USA that I have been on.
RoutePiedmont Triad to Las Vegas via Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"does not about their passengers"

Unverified | I was flying with LATAM from Lima, Peru. When I arrived in New York, American Airlines failed to tell me my flight to Toronto was cancelled. I spent 15 hrs waiting around for another flight, only to find out I was to be at another airport to catch my next flight. I then arrived in Washington, we boarded the plane, sat there for 30min then they made us go back to the gate because the flight was cancelled. They never updated the board or contacted me to let me know that apparently, to the American Airline customer service that the flight left around 5pm. I was told there were no flights to Toronto till tomorrow, I was never asked if I wanted to be put on standby after spending 24hrs without sleep and staying in airports. At 9pm I saw there was a flight to Toronto asked to be put on it, there were 3 empty seats! Meanwhile, they booked me for a flight the next day at 2pm. This airline does not about their passengers. LATAM put me up in a hotel for the night because I had no where to go.
RouteNew York to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"there is great inconsistency by flights and crew"

Verified Review | Given the many negative reviews about American Airlines, I was dreading the journey from New Orleans to JFK via Charlotte, especially because only hours before the departure time, the area had been ravaged by a tornado. In the event, the flight was only 15 minutes late in departing. It was a bumpy flight but the flight attendant came by frequently with a basket of snacks and offers of alcoholic drinks. Connecting in Charlotte required a bit of a walk through crowded concourses and the flight to JFK took off on time and arrived almost 20 minutes before schedule! Again, very friendly service with repeated servings (alas) of the same snacks and drinks. Seats on both flights were comfortable and there was a modern entertainment system on the back of the front seat with a decent selection of shows. I merely followed the travel map tracking the flight. All in all, the flights and the crew belied my apprehensions. It is clear that there is great inconsistency by flights and crew. Could the airline do a better job with training and following their own rules and policies?
AircraftA320 / Boeing 737