Top 100 Airlines

American Airlines

"the worst I have ever seen"

San Diego to Tampa via Dallas. The crew in Dallas were the only redeeming factor. Flight from San Diego delayed/cancelled leaving at least 100 people to miss their connecting flights in Dallas. It happens. AA Airport staff were rude beyond anything I have ever seen (we re-routed by phone instead of waiting on line for 2 hours, and were successful on 3rd call. First two in essence sad sorry about your luck). It took us 21 hrs to return from San Diego to Tampa. An AA employee told a couple in a very annoyed voice "Sir, I just came over here to get away from those people and their endless questions. Why don't you come back in ten minutes". All of the passengers from that flight had already waited patiently for two hours without a word from AA staff. When we finally got a flight to Dallas (not final destination) the cabin crew was clearly not getting along. The young male actually stated about an older stewardess in an annoyed voice (while serving drinks/snacks) "She is clearly senile". I was traveling on corporate business. I am no stranger to customer service. This was the worst I have ever seen, and that includes the "customer service agent" on site in San Diego. I am not usually this harsh, but wow. In contrast, this mornings (9/24) 7 am flight from Dallas to Tampa had an excellent pilot and crew as well as ground staff for what they have to work with - old planes, antiquated amenities. I must also give a nod to staff on the phone customer service for his pleasant nature and helpfulness. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be enough staff at any counters, which makes it difficult for your good employees to overcome the behavior of those who need to find their bliss elsewhere as working with the public is not their niche.
RouteSAN to TPA via DFW
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"It's time to update, AA!"

(Portugal)

Verified Review |Lisbon to Philadelphia. The flight was normal, the crew was nice, food aplenty, and the plane was clean despite being a bit old. The crew cleared the rubbish quite often. What really turned me off was the lack of individual IFE screens - especially for a transatlantic flight of over 7 hours. Last time I had experienced that was some 10 years ago! It's time to update, AA!
RouteLIS to PHL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"very poorly run and organized"

Verified Review | The service didn't exist. The plane wasn't stocked for refreshment on its way out like it was supposed to be. The crew didn't want to see or talk to their customers and that includes the pilots. The airports were very inefficient. They did have Wi-fi that was positive but not much positive other than that. I expected much better from American Airlines. I will never make the mistake of flying them again. Lots of luggage confusion, no help except from one baggage handler in Philly and one airport staff member in Charlotte. The airline looks to be very poorly run and organized.
RouteCLT to DFW
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"by far the worst airline"

Verified Review | Chicago to Orange County. I fly every week for work and I have found that American Airlines is by far the worst airline. Not only is their staff extremely rude but they have delays almost every time I fly. They are inconsistent with policies and constantly give me different information when I call in. It has become such a hassle that I have started taking more expensive or longer flights to avoid using them. Today was the last straw in Chicago O'Hare when customer service was over the top rude. I am 100% all for Delta.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteORD to SNA
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"cabin crew were barely polite"

Flew from Manchester to JFK. The aircraft should have been a 757 but after a delay was changed to a 727. The 757 has seating of 2-3-2 so when changed to a 737 with seating of 3-3 there were not enough seats. The cabin crew were barely polite and you knew they were just going through the motions doing the bare minimum that they had to. After the plane began taxiing the Captain reported that there was a fault with the flaps and would have to return to base where we had to sit on the plane for 2 hours (during which the crew came round with water for the passengers) while they determined that it was an instrument problem and not a physical problem with the flaps so after 3.5 hours delay we managed to take off. As stated before the staff were not exactly rude, just not pleasant and did the bare minimum they had to. The inflight entertainment is non-existant as neither the 737 outbound or the 757 inbound have seat back screens, just the aisle screens which give no choices and showed terrible entertainment. AA must have some of the oldest aircraft in service. I think British Airways have made a terrible mistake teaming up with American Airlines as they certainly do not provide the level of service BA have previously provided. I will not be using American Airlines again.
RouteMAN to JFK

"absolutely shocking experience"

Verified Review | I couldn't just watch a movie on flight AA104 from New York JFK to London Heathrow, the state of the art in-flight entertainment system did not even have the ability to just play a movie. 'Next show in 25 minutes'. This all occurred on a very dated plane which was changed at last minute we were told by the unpleasant staff at JFK. That meant that the seats we had selected when we checked in online had been given to someone else and we had been assigned seats in the middle row. Tried to change the seats at the gate before boarding as we were instructed to do so by the airline staff upon checking in our bags but dealing with the ground staff at Gate 14 Terminal 8 in JFK was an absolutely shocking experience. The most horrendous level of customer service I have experienced from an airline or any company for that matter! My husband and I will not be flying with American Airlines ever again!
RouteJFK to LHR

"paying $8 for a whisky"

San Jose (Costa Rica) to Madrid via Miami and Philadelphia with American Airlines. We have been travelling around the world for over a year and we have taken many different companies. But for an international carrier AA have got to be one of the poorest. Maybe we have been spoilt and if you were to ask me what the main issue was I couldn't point it out. All our flights were on time and our connections were made which was good but I felt the service was just lacking, especially when compared to other international carriers. And it's the little things that I remember. No ear plugs or eye masks, paying $8 for a whisky, typical American advertising over the PA for a credit card. Again, nothing major but just detracted from the whole expereince.
RouteSJO to MAD via MIA and PHL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"never fly with them again"

Washington to Miami. Awful customer service at the check-in point!! We were the first to arrive to the line, we wanted to talk to a person in the counter to let them know we needed someone to escort my grandma and they were terrible. We had to do everything by ourselves, no one gave us directions and the staff were not helpful at all and were very impolite every time we tried to approach them. I'll never fly with them again. Low cost companies would even have better service.
RouteIAD to MIA
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"I was abandoned in mid-journey"

Verified Review | I was flying from Providence via Chicago to Flint. The flight out of PVD was delayed a few minutes, and we landed at ORD just a few minutes late. However, AA had no gates available and we pulled to the side of the runway and with the engines off waited over an hour before we were brought to a gate to de-plane. I then missed my connecting flight to FNT. The gate agent sent me out to the ticket counter (it's now 10:00pm) and after waiting nearly 2 hours on line, I was told there were no more flights to FNT today, that the following day was all booked, and that maybe they could get me out 2 days later, maybe to another airport like Midland-Bay City, or Grand Rapids or something. No hotel voucher, no meal voucher, no rebooking, no accommodation, nothing at all: simply put, I was abandoned in mid-journey. They failed to take me to my destination, failed to offer anything and would not issue a refund of any kind, claiming this was a "weather related" issue and blame the air traffic controllers. Never again will I fly these losers.
AircraftEmbraer
RoutePVD to FNT via ORD
Date FlownAugust 2016

"were seated away from each other"

I purchased tickets months in advance for my partner and I to fly from Tampa to Albany. Both of us were seated together and I checked in right on time. We did not have seats reserved anymore and were seated away from each other on the first flight, and my partner didn't have a seat assigned at all on the second one. I had no choice but to spend $70 just for us to both have seats, when I already paid near $600 for the flights. Will never fly American again. Stick to Delta, I have never had my seats taken away when I checked in 24 hours in advance, ever.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy