American Airlines

Customer rating from 2055 reviews

"service was very poor"

Trip Verified | Flew American Airlines from Miami to London. Cabin was reasonable but service was very poor. One visit for both bar and meal. No response to in-seat steward request to collect tray meaning a walk to the end of the plane to get someone. Ground service was a bit harsh.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteMiami to London

"Terrible. Absolutely terrible"

Not Verified | Terrible. Absolutely terrible, both to and from Philadelphia and Phoenix. Boarded and got off the plane both times because of an issue, you think they would have resolved that before letting everyone get on. They let us sit forever blaming it on catering and other various issues. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad they didn’t fly with any detrimental issues to the aircraft but come on. Also both times, there was an error with calculating carry one baggage leaving no room for the last passengers to board and they did not complimentary check any. Will never fly with American Airlines again.
RoutePhiladelphia to Pheonix
Date FlownMay 2018

"met with one rude person after the other"

Trip Verified | First I'd like to start out saying that 20 years ago, I had the exact same result as I did this past weekend and swore I would never fly American Airlines again. I was returning to Houston from Salt Lake City, I had to go thru Dallas for a connecting flight. My flight in Salt Lake City was delayed due to weather issues originally. I knew I was going to miss my connecting flight in Dallas, once I heard of the delay and got up in line (a long one at that) to be told to call the 1-800 number to get done faster. When I spoke with customer service, they told me "I'll be fine as the plane is supposed to board at 4.08 pm" and I was like "Oh great, ok, I don't need anything else then". Not realizing the time when I hung up the phone, it was 4.12 pm and there was no plane at the gate. So, we (as in other passengers and myself) were getting updates saying we were boarding every 10 minutes. Come to find out, because of the weather, the plane that was trying to land was re-routed to Pocatello, ID because they needed to re-fuel. The plane finally landed around 6.15 pm, only to learn that our flight was now cancelled due to the fact that the flight crew had met their hours for the day and couldn't fly anymore. So, at that point we were all stranded, most other flights were full and I for sure was going to miss my connecting flight. Supposedly, because this was a weather issue, American Airlines would not put any of the passengers up in hotels, etc. However, it was no longer a weather issue as other planes were flying in and taking off just fine in Salt Lake City. This was clearly, American Airlines crew that couldn't fly anymore. So our flight was delayed until 7.00 am the next morning. So we return to the airport, did not receive any updates on our flight and hoping for the best I spoke with the gentleman at the gate and asked him to help me find a connecting flight to Houston. He told me, they were all full and to try once I get to Dallas to get on stand by. I finally make it to Dallas, I get off the plane and go directly to the ticket counter at the gate that I just walked out of. I explained that I needed a connecting flight to Houston. At first, the lady couldn't find me in the system (even though I just walked off the plane) and then once she did find me in the system, she said she had record of me landing the night before in Dallas. At this point, I was boiling mad, because clearly she just saw me walk off the plane. Then she said, there was a flight later in the evening that she could get me on. I explained it was my daughter's graduation party that evening and I needed to be home before 8.00 pm that night. So, she handed me a boarding pass and told me to go try and get on Stand by on another flight. Went to that gate only to find out there was a lot of other people standing by and probably would not make that flight and at that point I went and got a rental car so I can be home in time for my daughter's graduation party, that I was hosting. My biggest disappoint in the airline is that not one American Airlines employee even said "I'm sorry!" When you work in customer service and have an upset customer, you should always acknowledge that you understand the frustration and you are working hard to get us home or to resolve the issue. This never happened with American Airlines. I was met with one rude person after the other. It wasn't just me. There were other passengers that were just as upset and had to drive home too.
RouteSalt Lake City to Houston via Dallas
Date FlownMay 2018

"didn't care what I had to ask"

Trip Verified | The lady at the counter before entering the plane was rude and didn't care what I had to ask. I got my ticket printed by a lady and asked if I had to check my bag and she said no I would be fine and the plane would have room for a carry on. Well I go to get on the plane and they won't let me on without paying 50 dollars. Why didn't the lady who printed my ticket tell me? Why didn't they announce it for all of section 9 until right before the flight was boarding, when I would have had time to go back to the baggage claim and only have to pay 25 dollars instead of 50 now for a carry on size. No military discount for luggage either which is ridiculous. I will never fly American Airlines again with how rude they were.
RouteSan Diego to Charlotte
Date FlownMay 2018

"I need to praise the crew"

Not Verified | I need to praise the crew of Flight AA743 Barcelona to Philadelphia. The crew on this flight was great. they made each passenger feel really welcomed. The crew was nice, friendly, helpful, and kind. I can't say enough good thing about this crew. Wanted to say a great big thanks to this crew. Thank you so much.
RouteBarcelona to Philadelphia
Date FlownMay 2018

"they cancelled my flight"

Not Verified | I had a trip planned to Puerto Rico for my birthday. I Arrived at 5am to DCA To a weather delay (understandable) Couple hours passed and when we went to board the plane a new maintenance issue caused a 20 minute delay. For the next 5 hours they kept extending the maintenance delay every 30 minutes. There was almost no communication with each attendant telling different answers. The app was also extremely unhelpful. After waiting in airport for 12 hours, they finally cancelled the flight as never going to leave the terminal. I called customer service for a refund and they said that they might be able to reschedule. Another attendant the said that I should still cancel and get refund since the airline was backed up and going to be prone to more weather delays and maintenance issues. (Every person had different answers) I asked if I could just get a voucher to help make up for lost hotel, stress, etc. Two reps said yes but another said that they couldn’t. Long story short they cancelled my flight then left me out to dry with just the refund of my ticket and no additional vouchers. I am still out a large sum for the trip not including lost vacation days and stress. This was the worst customer experience of my life. I was a loyalty program member with an AA credit card and was Still treated this way by staff and the company even after filing a complaint. “...They told me (paraphrase) that it was not their obligation and that I should give them a second chance...” I was lied to and lost an entire vacation to their terrible maintenance and business practices and would urge no person to use AA as their preferred loyalty program. My friend who flew Spirit Airlines that same day made it to Puerto Rico for my birthday but I never did.
RouteWashington to Puerto Rico via Philadelphia
Date FlownMay 2018

"avoid this airline if possible"

Trip Verified | Dallas Ft Worth to Cancun. Horrible Airline! I always use Southwest because they’re great but this one was booked by my company. American will nickle and dime you for everything possible. I spent over 50 USD just to fly with 1 checked bag round trip. Next was the seat charge, any seat with a few extra inches of leg room will cost you a minimum of 34 extra each way! Once onboard is their in flight snacks, they start at 9 and increase significantly. On this particular trip they switched the gate and terminal 4 times within the span of 2 hours before the flight which made for some long walks. Surprisingly our flight arrived 30 min early but we had to wait the entire 30 minutes on the plane at the gate before we could deboard because they couldn’t find an employee to move the sky bridge into place! Then there is the fact that the WIFI didn’t work and the mid plane bathroom was inoperative. I would avoid this airline if possible. These are the very reasons I prefer Southwest and I fly monthly.
AircraftA321S
RouteDallas Ft Worth to Cancun
Date FlownMay 2018

"They cancelled the flight"

Trip Verified | I did not fly. They cancelled the flight just as I was going through security. The ticket agent could not book me on anything that would remotely get me to destination in time for obligations (they were offering 24 hours later). I asked if I could get my fare back if I drove the 450 miles. The agent said yes. My travelling companion heard this too. I asked twice. And now they refuse to refund my fare. They also lost my luggage for 36 hours, a suitcase that was never loaded onto a flight that never got to the gate. It was cracked and contents damaged when delivered and they said nothing until I reported it. Still waiting for reimbursement for ruined suitcase and contents. I'm giving them a 1 instead of 0 because some of the employees were trying to help.
RouteBoston to Harrisburg

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | San Jose to Boston. Horrible customer service! They keep delaying the flight every 30 minutes and do not provide a real picture! Stranded since 3 hours and still no clarity. I would recommend you take Spirit and save some money rather than taking this airline!
RouteSan Jose to Boston

"Never again American"

Trip Verified | My direct flight to Boston was cancelled this weekend, no explanation, no weather issues (all other airlines were flying out). The soonest they could get me on a flight was the next day with 2 (two) stops. I would miss my wedding so did not take it. My complaint is, when they cancelled the flight, only one employee was at the gate trying to reschedule everyone's flights. The American gate next to it, had 5 employees, talking, laughing, not doing anything. I went over to them and asked if they could help me. I had been in my line for 30 minutes and the employee had only gotten through 2 people! So you can imagine the anger of everyone in line! The 5 employees at the adjacent gate said they couldn't help and really didn't seem to care enough to walk over to our gate to help that 1 lone employee. I found that to be so incompetent for this or any airlines. Worst part for me was, my daughter was gong to the same wedding, also flew out from the same airport, same time, with JetBlue. And her ticket cost half as much as mine! So my daughter, poor thing, landed in Boston and spent the weekend by herself. No excuses. Never again American if I have another choice.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy