American Airlines

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

I flew out from Pensacola on June 23rd at 4pm. What was supposed to be a connecting flight in North Carolina turned into a disaster. My flight kept getting delayed with minimal communication of when our flight would be taking off. The flight time continued to change and hours passed by with little communication as to why. The flight that was suppose to board at 9.40pm did not get cancelled until just before 2am. I had already been traveling for 14 hours. I waited in a ridiculously long line only to be told that the hotels in the area were all booked and that the cots at the airport were taken. I did not sleep at all. I had to re-route my original flight from LAX twice because one of the workers routed me to San Jose which was 6 hours away from my destination (LAX). They re-routed me again an hour out of the way at John Wayne airport and had to find someone else to pick me up because of the change of my arrival. When I arrived my checked bag was nowhere to be found. My bag arrived a few days later. I have flown with US Airways / American Airlines many times but this customer service is completely unacceptable.
RoutePensacola Florida to LAX

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

American Airlines displayed appalling customer service to its stranded passengers in PHL on the evening of 30 June 2015. Several of us were late by minutes to connecting flights to Europe, after being encouraged to run to catch our connections, all flights left without the 15-20 of us. These things sometimes happen, but what followed was not acceptable. Customer service representatives had no solutions for anyone, other than bookings for the next flight 24 hours later. No hotel, transportation, nothing. My service at the desk was dismissive: we can't help. We have no solutions or contingencies. It was only after my pestering them, when she handed me the dreaded "pink slip" - a generic phone number and website for "discount" on a hotel. The biggest problem is that customer service failed spectacularly at the point where the client is most vulnerable and alone-in transit. There should be a representative for each imperiled connecting flight, or group of flights. On-ground coordinators should be communicating with gate agents and in-flight attendants. Even when connections are simply impossible, let us know and give us options, at the point of debarkation. All it takes is for someone to actively monitor and question the line.
RouteCRW to PHL via CLT

Review by (United States) 1st July 2015

They decided to detour and refuel the plane in Austin. As a result, the plane arrived almost half an hour after my connecting flight to LHR had already left. I was told the next flight wasn't until 3.30 pm the next day (being today, I'm sitting in the airport), leaving me almost 14 hours between flights. I couldn't afford a hotel. I was given no vouchers for food or anything else, was given minimal assistance, just a slip of paper and "hope they have room for you on the next one". Re-figuring my pick-up at Heathrow was more expensive and inconvenient than I could really afford. The airline was less than apathetic. The entire experience has been appalling.
RouteJAX to DFW

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

We booked a companion certificate through the old US airways. We missed the outbound flight and had to take an alternative one way flight. When checking back in for the original return flight, American said there was no reservation in the system. As a result of not making the first flight, American told us we broke the contract, they canceled our reservation without notification to us and we had to purchase another full fare one way flight to get home. In addition, we were stranded for two more nights in the airport hotel. This was insane! Who treats their frequent flyer passengers and credit card holders this way?
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBWI to MSP

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

We were overcharged for checking a 7th bag on a ticket of 5 people. Even after I explained to the ticket AA agent that the charge should only be $40, she still insisted on charging us $150. When our flight on June 25 (2971) from ORD to MLI was canceled due to mechanical issues, we were given incorrect information from multiple AA gate agents (ie. couldn't provide a rental car, couldn't rebook us on another airline, couldn't get us out of ORD until two days later), and after finally connecting with an AA representative on the phone (more than a 2 hour wait), we were told that we were indeed overcharged for our bag, and we should have been offered voucher per ticket because our flight was canceled due to mechanical issues, which caused more than a 5.5 hour delay. We were neither told this, nor were the gate agents helpful in trying to resolve the issue. We were told we couldn't file for a refund over the telephone and had to submit an email on the AA website, which I did four days ago - still have not heard back from anyone yet.
RouteMIL to PAP via ORD

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

I traveled with my wife to Paris (CDG) from Boston on June 14 on AA146. The attention was mediocre and even forgot to give my breakfast or snack. On the return flight on June 26 from London to New York flight AA107 the service was better, like the food, plane with plenty of room for the feet and service better than normal.
RouteNew York to Paris via Boston

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Both flights to and from destination had delays. First flight was almost 2 hours delayed due to mechanical failure, we ended up boarding a new plane, then sitting on the runway for another 20 minutes. Return flight didn't have working DC outlet under seat, and GoGo flight entertainment application wouldn't work on the phone, a terrible application. This isn't the first time I have had delays with AA (2+ hours delay due to Mechanical failure on a flight to Cancun via DFW) and if I keep on flying with them, I would assume it wouldn't be the last. Other customers were voicing the same complaints.
RouteSNA to IAH via DFW

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

My flight from London to Chicago was in an ancient plane with no in-flight entertainment. The crew were not very friendly and the food was poor. I was told I would have to pay for spirits (on a long-haul flight!). I would avoid where possible.
RouteLondon to Toronto via Chicago

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

It was about 82 degrees on the flight home tonight. FA's didn't seem to care about passenger comfort. Passengers were complaining about the air. Television at our seat was intermittently working. This airline needs an overhaul, sadly, just when I'm about to achieve status.
RouteDallas to Fort lauderdale

Review by (Finland) 28th June 2015

You get what you pay for, is how I feel after my second trip with American Airlines. But to be honest, was expecting a worse so I was pleasantly surprised. Flights were on time. Food and drinks were served during the flight. Wine, beer and soft drinks were served for free. Staff was polite, efficient and a few almost friendly. Plane new and clean. Water and juice or soft drinks were left available overnight to be self served. Lots of movies for entertainment. But Online check in was impossible. Especially with a connecting flight (even OneWorld one). Ground service was badly arranged at LAX. No signs or staff to seek help from. Seats in economy uncomfortable. Leg room absolutely minimum for a long-haul flight. Entertainment system worked well but selection in music was terrible. Screen didn't turn so when seats are reclined it's almost impossible to watch anything on it. Quality, taste and portion size of food was a little disappointing. At the end of the day we got where we wanted to go. On time. With no sleep but very, very cheap.
RouteLos Angeles to London