American Airlines

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

We booked a companion certificate through the old US airways. We missed the outbound flight and had to take an alternative one way flight. When checking back in for the original return flight, American said there was no reservation in the system. As a result of not making the first flight, American told us we broke the contract, they canceled our reservation without notification to us and we had to purchase another full fare one way flight to get home. In addition, we were stranded for two more nights in the airport hotel. This was insane! Who treats their frequent flyer passengers and credit card holders this way?
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBWI to MSP

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

We were overcharged for checking a 7th bag on a ticket of 5 people. Even after I explained to the ticket AA agent that the charge should only be $40, she still insisted on charging us $150. When our flight on June 25 (2971) from ORD to MLI was canceled due to mechanical issues, we were given incorrect information from multiple AA gate agents (ie. couldn't provide a rental car, couldn't rebook us on another airline, couldn't get us out of ORD until two days later), and after finally connecting with an AA representative on the phone (more than a 2 hour wait), we were told that we were indeed overcharged for our bag, and we should have been offered voucher per ticket because our flight was canceled due to mechanical issues, which caused more than a 5.5 hour delay. We were neither told this, nor were the gate agents helpful in trying to resolve the issue. We were told we couldn't file for a refund over the telephone and had to submit an email on the AA website, which I did four days ago - still have not heard back from anyone yet.
RouteMIL to PAP via ORD

Review by (United States) 30th June 2015

I traveled with my wife to Paris (CDG) from Boston on June 14 on AA146. The attention was mediocre and even forgot to give my breakfast or snack. On the return flight on June 26 from London to New York flight AA107 the service was better, like the food, plane with plenty of room for the feet and service better than normal.
RouteNew York to Paris via Boston

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Both flights to and from destination had delays. First flight was almost 2 hours delayed due to mechanical failure, we ended up boarding a new plane, then sitting on the runway for another 20 minutes. Return flight didn't have working DC outlet under seat, and GoGo flight entertainment application wouldn't work on the phone, a terrible application. This isn't the first time I have had delays with AA (2+ hours delay due to Mechanical failure on a flight to Cancun via DFW) and if I keep on flying with them, I would assume it wouldn't be the last. Other customers were voicing the same complaints.
RouteSNA to IAH via DFW

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

My flight from London to Chicago was in an ancient plane with no in-flight entertainment. The crew were not very friendly and the food was poor. I was told I would have to pay for spirits (on a long-haul flight!). I would avoid where possible.
RouteLondon to Toronto via Chicago

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

It was about 82 degrees on the flight home tonight. FA's didn't seem to care about passenger comfort. Passengers were complaining about the air. Television at our seat was intermittently working. This airline needs an overhaul, sadly, just when I'm about to achieve status.
RouteDallas to Fort lauderdale

Review by (Finland) 28th June 2015

You get what you pay for, is how I feel after my second trip with American Airlines. But to be honest, was expecting a worse so I was pleasantly surprised. Flights were on time. Food and drinks were served during the flight. Wine, beer and soft drinks were served for free. Staff was polite, efficient and a few almost friendly. Plane new and clean. Water and juice or soft drinks were left available overnight to be self served. Lots of movies for entertainment. But Online check in was impossible. Especially with a connecting flight (even OneWorld one). Ground service was badly arranged at LAX. No signs or staff to seek help from. Seats in economy uncomfortable. Leg room absolutely minimum for a long-haul flight. Entertainment system worked well but selection in music was terrible. Screen didn't turn so when seats are reclined it's almost impossible to watch anything on it. Quality, taste and portion size of food was a little disappointing. At the end of the day we got where we wanted to go. On time. With no sleep but very, very cheap.
RouteLos Angeles to London

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

We travel every 1-2 years internationally and often use American because of the flight availability out of Tulsa. Two years ago we flew Delta business class while we chose American business class this time - the difference was startling. Delta was great service, great seats, great food. American Airlines seats were nowhere near as comfortable, the amenity bag was a relative joke, food was acceptable but not as good. The staff were less helpful. almost every flight was late to some degree which meant having to rush to connections. They did a fairly good job in O'Hare of expediting the process. the flight out of O'Hare was one class and despite paying for business class, we received nothing.
RouteRome to Tulsa via Chicago

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

Flight #116 departing Maui on June 22 at 8:35pm was delayed 3.5 hours. All the restaurants and stores at Maui close at 10pm. We asked the flight attendant for one bottle of water to share amongst the four of us (me, my husband, and 2 children) when boarding the flight at 12:15am and were told they have a limited amount for the flight and do not give bottles to customers. Plane had no power outlets in economy class cabin. Even though DFW is closer to my home I will make the extra drive to Love Field and take Virgin to LAX and connect with Hawaiian on my next Hawaii trip.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteOGG to DFW

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

American Airlines has improved for US domestic travel. I would say 90% of staff encounters I have are upbeat, courteous and professional. I don't know how it's going to be after US Air is fully integrated, but for now I am happy with the new planes, mostly professional FA's, helpful gate agents. There's a tiny part of me that's tempted to try them on an overseas flight, but maybe that's a bridge too far.
Cabin FlownFirst Class