Vote Airport

American Airlines

"Service was friendly"

New York JFK to Miami was on a refurbished American Airlines Boeing 767 with international business class flat bed seating. The seating is not as good as on the 777-300, but it’s a big improvement on the angled seating on the 777-200, and for a short domestic flight it is exceptional. The 1-2-1 configuration means every seat is accessible from an aisle, and the centre pairs are good for couples travelling together. All seats are forward facing. Service was friendly and rather informal. The food was good – the steak was better than on the flight over from London. IFE is only provided when these planes are flying internationally, and is provided by Samsung tablets in business class. Having flown into JFK in International Business Class, we had access to the Admiral's Club Lounge. These lounges are poor compared to British Airways. We got vouchers for two premium drinks each, but you have to wait to be served by a lone overstaffed barman, and the choice of food is poor.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteJFK to MIA

"It was horrible"

I hope it was the last time with American Airlines! I had to fly both ways to Philadelphia and back to Germany with American although on my flight list it said I would fly with Iberia and British Airways. Maybe I had really bad luck but on both flights there were mayor problems concerning delay. Before the first flight we were told, the aircraft is going to stop halfway to refuel so we would have a delay of several hours (they couldn't really tell us how much exactly). Having advised my transport ability from the airport to my final destination that I wouldn't arrive at time, we were told after a good half of the flight that we are going to fly directly to Philadelphia (as initially planned) because we had less wind than expected. The second flight was worse. The plane we were going to take arrived at Philly 20 min later than planned, so everything already was a bit delayed. After sitting in this machine over 1h without departing, we had to change plane(!) which lasted another hour, so we arrived at Amsterdam with over 2 hours of delay. While changing planes in Philadelphia I heard from several passengers that this is typical for AA, that they had come to Philly with a delayed AA flight and that they would never be able to get their train (just as me!) or connecting flight (except an American Airlines flight because that one you get because of its delay again - so if you fly AA, only fly AA). If there weren't all the other critical aspects in comparison to the flights' price. On other transatlantic flights of the same duration and price with Lufthansa or KLM, a personal screen with plenty of movies to chose is standard. Just as 2 ordinary meals plus snacks and comfortable seats with room for legs. On each of these 2 American Airlines flights, I had a disgusting meal and a tiny snack, there were small screens over every 5th row you can't see well from the mayority of seats (I had the luck of having one of these) and the seat couldn't be adjusted more than 2 inches backwards, so falling asleep wasn't possible for me, also because of permanent knee-seat-contact and the absolute impossibility of stretching my legs. It was horrible - in comparison with normal airlines such as Lufthansa or KLM.
RoutePHL to AMS

"so not impressed"

Fort Myers to Portland on American Airlines. I booked tickets for my 3 year old, my husband, myself and our 1yr and a half old. When I was checking in for our flight back home it showed our seats completely scattered on the plane and when I purchased our tickets they were together. Now they tell me that they have no seats together at this time and to check with the airport. I told them to change my flight or change someone's seats cause I will not be sitting away from my child! So not impressed. Never again!
RouteRSW to PDX

"assigned standard seats"

My husband and I paid $311 extra for our seats to and from Honolulu for our dream vacation with American Airlines. These fees were so that we could sit together for the flights and for extra leg room. We never got the extra leg room on any of the 4 flights and had to argue with the counter people to even get to sit together. For example, when checking in with AA mobile app (which doesn't work well) for our flight from Honolulu to Phoenix, the app showed our assigned seats as being available for an extra fee (which we had already paid). We were then assigned standard seats (no leg room) and 6 rows apart. Finally, we got a counter agent to at least sit us together for the flight but we were told that this was a "different plane so seats were different". If this was even true, isn't it good business to take care of those that paid extra for better seats and then assign remaining standard fare seats? It appears that American charges at least double for this bait and switch. Who knows how many "extra" fees they charged for special seating and then assigned standard seats? We know for a fact that they did so on the HNL to PHX flight, as we spoke to the people occupying our originally assigned seats. The flight to Honolulu was so bad that my arm was cramped against the cabin wall resulting in numbness for most of the flight. As a result of not having room to stretch my legs for me, as a diabetic, resulted in my ankles swelling terribly on both 6 hour flights. American should be ashamed of their rude and unapologetic staff and charging fees for services that they do not deliver.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDSM to HNL via PHX

"service quite impressive"

Flew American Airlines on a 757 from JFK to Miami and returned to La Guardia on a 737, in business class. The service was quite impressive, cabin/toilets clean, seat comfortable, and food was ample with a menu choice - wine and other drinks served. Flight attendants were informal but got the work done. The entertainment system was old fashioned, with drop down screens from the ceiling, not personalized at the seat level. Overall, a quality product worth patronizing again!
RouteJFK to Miami
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"flight attendants were very nice"

Packed American Airlines flight from Chicago O'Hare to Los Angeles on 1st February in coach. They changed aircraft so row 7 wasn't there anymore so 6 people had to find new seats. Gate agents handled some irate passengers well. Boarding was smooth - departed on time. Flight attendants were very nice and present throughout the flight. They did 2 drink and snack runs and came through with water two times. In-seat videos provided plenty of entertainment choices for the 4 hour flight. Gogo wifi was great - worked throughout the flight. Turbulence was very bad 30 minutes out of LAX due to El-Nino winds. Pilot kept us informed and did a good job. Landed smoothly and was a good flight. AA gets really bad reviews here - I fly them 150,000 miles a year and yes - I've had some bad flights. But overall they do a good job. I think a lot of people just expect to be treated like a king when they pay $300 for a trip. Keep up the good work AA.
RouteORD to LAX

"terrible customer service"

New York to Las Vegas with American Airlines, and terrible customer service. Extremely rude staff at the check-in counter. No in-flight entertainment on a 6+ hour flight. No complimentary beer/wine, snacks or meals on the flight. I flew LAX to JFK, JFK to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to Phoenix and Phoenix to Honolulu all within a 2 week period and all but one of the flights were delayed. Very little information passed on to the customers.
RouteJFK to LAS

"have lost a client"

Philadelphia to Austin via Dallas. We were originally booked on American Airlines flight for Sunday (day of the big storm). Flight cancelled and rebooked via Indianapolis the following day (Monday). We were also cancelled from this flight though I did receive notification that all the connection flights flew on this day - so the plane not cancelled we were bumped. Then scheduled for Tuesday via Dallas except we were on a first class tickets x 3 and sitting in the rear of the plane on Row 36. No contact or email of the airline event though they had this because I spoke to their operator and gave it all to them. First class was fine from Dallas to Austin but American Airlines have lost a client for lack of service.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePHL to AUS via DFW
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"good food, friendly staff"

(Poland)

Orange County to London via Dallas Ft Worth with American Airlines, and very good service. Pretty nice aircraft, good food, and friendly staff. Entertainment on board was very cool, screens were new and working. For the ground service, I have never met such unfriendly people.
RouteSNA to LHR via DFW
Date FlownDecember 2015

"never fly American Airlines"

Flew from St Louis to Dallas / Fort Worth to get a connecting flight to Colorado Springs. Unfortunately the weather was bad and my connecting flight was cancelled. What irritated me was the American Airlines employees had no procedure and were not helpful at all. After talking to 3 different employees I finally found one that had a flight to Arkansas the next morning to get a connecting flight from Delta to Denver, CO. After arriving in Arkansas, I went up to Delta to get my boarding pass and they had no record of me! The American Airlines employee failed to send my info or even inform me that I didn't actually have a seat for the connecting flight, but rather sent me there to just get me out of Fort Worth. I was literally stranded there - there was 11 other people in the same situation. I had to rent a car and drive from Arkansas to Colorado. Luckily I split the cost with 5 other people who also drove with me. What did I get from aa after filing a complaint? $130 from $630 that I spent on the tickets. Moral of the story - never fly with American Airlines.
RouteSTL to COS via DFW