Vote Now

American Airlines

"do not recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Miami to Orlando. From the boarding to the customer service and service in general is terrible. The new machines they have to get your boarding passes was not working. Once I rushed out of one American airline flight to get to my connecting flight was delayed by 3 hours mind you I'm trying to rush to not miss it. I arrive to the gate they say they are delayed because the staff is overworked and they are waiting on new staff, which to me is ridiculous and makes no sense. Once almost 4 hours passed they call us to board the plane, a rude lady was giving everyone attitude and was upset for whatever reason and did not want to answer questions. So now at this moment we are on the airplane waiting to depart and waiting on the runway for 30 mins - at this point we are delayed by 4.5 hours for a flight that only takes 30 Mins. And to top it off they made a mistake with the number of passengers and paper work so here goes an extra 30 mins. I do not recommend this airline whatsoever.
RouteMiami to Orlando
Date FlownMarch 2017

"more and more disappointed"

Verified Review | Miami to Santo Domingo. Every time I fly with American Airlines, i feel there is something that frustrates me. This time, they asked me to check a bag when clearly it could have fit. They wanted to argue with me saying it wouldn't and when I got on the plane there were bags larger then mine. I was just in a smaller plane before and travel all the time with my bag and it always fits in the overhead. Last time I flew with American in January, the plane never showed up and I had to wait in the airport from my original destination for 7 hours. I missed my next flight and american did nothing to help me except for giving me food vouchers that covers nothing in an airport. I had to get a hotel in the airport and spend an extra 145$. I find myself more and more disappointed with American Airlines every time I fly.
RouteMiami to Santo Domingo
Date FlownMarch 2017

"crew were happy to be there"

(Finland)

Verified Review | I had a connecting flight from Miami to London. The boarding had started early and it was underway when I got to the gate. The cabin crew were greeting passengers during boarding. It seemed that the crew were happy to be there and were chatty. flight left the gate 10 minutes early so arrived into London 30 minutes early. The dinner service was quite quick. I had to decline the dessert as I was full from the main course. The breakfast was ok as I had a fruit bowl.
RouteMiami to London
Date FlownMarch 2017

"still had ashtrays in the arm rests"

Unverified | My wife and were traveling to the Falkland islands and for the most part American Airlines had the best itinerary. The outward trip was nice on the 737 to Miami, then things changed. Miami to Santiago on an antiquated interior on a 777, flight staff not even cracking a smile, the worst airline food I ever had. Return journey, same only the food was a little better. Miami to Chicago, this 767 still had ashtrays in the arm rests plus a grubby interior, I did not feel safe on this aircraft. You need to update your fleet and improve the cosmetic maintenance of your aircraft and do something to make your staff happy, great is certainly not where you are headed!
AircraftBoeing 737 / 777 / 767
RouteLansing to Santiago via Chicago/ Miami
Date FlownMarch 2017

"cabin crew just did the minimum"

(Finland)

Verified Review | It was a morning flight from Buenos Aires to Miami. There was only one check-in desk for business and first class but it wasn't marked on the screens at all. The staff were nice. The boarding started only 20 min before departure but the passenges were stuck in the jetway for 10 min before getting aboard. Boarding was more or less chaos. Only one of the cabin crew were greeting passenges and the rest of them were just talking to each others. The breakfast was served after take-off and it was quite small for a business class meal. The second meal was a pizza. Ice cream or cake were served between main courses. The seat was good as it's new generation seat for American Airlines business class on B777-300. Not a bad flight but most of the cabin crew just did the minimum. They kept the safety belt signs on for the last 6 hrs with only a few occasions of turbulence.
RouteBuenos Aires to Miami
Date FlownMarch 2017

"paid money to be extremely uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Charlotte to Orlando Melbourne. It's so great that on my flight I was seated next to a man that took up his entire seat and half of mine. It's also fun that I physically couldn't put the seat divider between him and myself because he took up two seats and was sitting on top of me the whole flight, while I practically sit in the aisle way. My favorite part though has to be how I paid money to be extremely uncomfortable, to have the flight attendants do nothing, and for customer service to tell me they basically don't care.
RouteCharlotte to Orlando Melbourne

"very disappointed"

Verified Review | Paris to Oklahoma City via Dallas DFW with American Airlines. Like other reviews I've read, they have failed to explain that our flight is delayed till far after the departure time which is frustrating. This is my last flight home and it is delayed about 3 hours. My whole trip I've experienced a snappy crew making rude comments to myself and other customers. Very disappointed.
RouteParis to Oklahoma City via Dallas DFW
Date FlownMarch 2017

"customer experience is becoming so terrible"

Verified Review | I bought the ticket at 7.45pm for a 8.55 pm flight directly at the airport to fly from New York JFK to Boston. The agent did not mentioned any late departure and a couple of minutes later I saw that the incoming flight from Boston was late, however, it was not until 30 mins later that they announced that the outgoing flight was late. It seems like they were retaining from announcing that the flight was late in order to maximize sales. I have flown American Airlines a couple of times recently and the company is as bad as other American airline companies. They all try to over utilize their planes in order to maximize their profits but the customer experience is becoming so terrible!
RouteNew York to Boston
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Service was friendly and efficient"

Verified Review | In terms of pricing, American Airlines was very good compared to their competitors. The business class and first class connection between Dallas Fort Worth and Orlando then Orlando to Los Angeles on the return was comfortable. All flights and connections were on time. In fact one departed early to avoid a storm in LAX. The long haul transpacific flight offered a lie flat bed but that had a hump just at the small of your back. If you angle it 170, it disappears. Managed quite a number of hours of sleep. Food service and choice was more than adequate and of course the highlight was the sundae for dessert. However for breakfast they ran out of the egg option and had to settle for fruit and granola on both routes. Service was friendly and efficient. Late night snacks are available on demand and was good. The Bose noise reduction earphones were really effective, but the disposable ear-pieces on the short haul flights were not worth using. I have already booked another flight with AA in April from JFK to Lima Peru. Lets hope they keep it up.
RouteSingapore to Orlando via Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"I’m completely devastated"

Verified Review | St. Louis to Chicago. I’m completely devastated. My husband and I have been married for three years, but we never had a honeymoon. So we saved up our money to decide where we would go within the next five years. He had to have major surgery, so we scheduled for this year. He’s never flown before and was excited and anxious. We made a reservation with Carnival Cruise to coincide with our anniversary but before his surgery, because life is short. Everything was fine as we filled up our Expedition for the two hour drive to Lambert Airport. We found parking and got on the park shuttle. I knew a little bit from prior experience, but my husband was worried and nervous. The first thing out of place I noticed was when we were at the gate waiting to board. The captain and crew got on about ten minutes before we were called to board. There was a request for anyone with a carryon with wheels to check them at the desk due to a full plane. As we boarded I noticed the captain laughing and holding a conversation with two flight attendants already aboard. Then the problems started. It took a while because the flight attendants were trying to find space overhead for everyone’s carry-ons (we didn’t have any.) The captain taxied off, then stopped. He told us we had to wait awhile for the plane to be de-iced. (That took 50 minutes.) He taxied again and went around three times. Finally, he told us that his compass wasn’t aligned and he needed to have maintenance take a look at it. But, there was no gate available, so we would have to wait until one opened for him to dock. (That took another 30 minutes.) During this wait, one of the female flight attendants told us to call or go online to rebook if we had connecting flights out of Chicago. I called immediately and was told by a representative she could not rebook us while we were still on the plane. I explained that we needed to catch our connecting flight from Chicago at 8:30am and if we missed it we would miss our cruise. Absolutely no sympathy given. Finally we docked. After 30 more minutes of uncertainty, the captain told us the plane is being put out of service. I called the cruise line for help to get to our port in Miami, while my husband called American Airlines to see what can be done. We got off the plane and was told little to no info. We asked where our luggage would be and told it would be held until we had another flight. The rep found us another flight, but it would make it there after the cruise had already departed. Mind you, one flight had already boarded and ready to leave at 7:19am. Too bad we were stuck on the tarmac. The cruise line couldn’t find a plane for us because all flights were booked and full. We made several phone calls trying to salvage our delayed honeymoon to no avail. Finally, we accepted defeat and requested a refund and looked for our luggage. This turned into another time consuming ordeal. We drove back home dejected. It was a very quiet two hour drive. We had a million questions and no answers. I called the cruise line as soon as we got home to see if we could book another one. I found one sailing 3/16/17 after working with a remarkable woman. Unfortunately, there were no flights available. I accepted defeat once again and was given options that made it worse. I couldn't add the rest of the letter I sent them both.
RouteSt. Louis to Chicago