American Airlines

Review by (Argentina) 29th July 2015

The old Boeing 777 had been retrofitted. They removed First Class and Business Class seats upgraded to fully flat seats over two sections of the aircraft with a nice bar in between. Cabin crew were nicer and even managed to smile (have not seen that in a long time). The food offered was better also: ie. for breakfast, a plate of fresh fruit with some granola and greek yogurt, warm scone, jam and butter.
RouteBuenos Aires to Tampa via Miami

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

My flight was scheduled to leave at 7.45 to Newark after it was delayed twice, we finally boarded close to 9pm. The staff did not give a reason as to why the flight was delayed and then told me that all other flights to Newark were booked up.
RouteORD to EWR

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th July 2015

Because of a delay caused by weather we missed a connecting flight. However thats' not the issue. We arrived at Chicago late and missed a connection to Greenbay. We were put on a standby flight to be told that it was unlikely that we would get on. This was a Sunday evening. When we pressed for information about the next flight, we were told that this might be 8.30pm on Tuesday, as if this were not a problem. Pardon, not a problem! A family of three in the middle of Chicago, stranded for 3 days. There was no help at all. No useful information as to where we might go, what we could do, what transport we might be able to get. We were stranded and they did not give any assistance at all. It was a crisis for us.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteGatwick to Greenbay via Chicago

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

This review is about their ridiculous process to get credited for miles on their and their partners flights. Last week, it took me all of ten minutes to ask United to credit me for flights I flew on SAS Airlines, and all of two days to credit my account. I flew Iberia Airlines in November - filled out my request for miles from American in December - didn't hear anything by March. So I asked again, and now I have been asked for receipt, name, boarding passes, and advantage number - three of which I have provided, and the receipt is really moot at this point. Honestly, I believe this whole issue is because I have an apostrophe in my last name. Every time I tried to add my AA number to the reservation before I left, I was told, "The last names don't match". This is ridiculous.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePIT to STX via MIA

Review by (United States) 28th July 2015

I cannot think of one good reason to fly American Airlines in the future. I cannot think of one reason to keep any credit card that only allows redemption on American as well. Customer service is becoming almost fight as they are not willing to negotiate or explain or accommodate customers anymore. I paid 178.00 cash to buy three thousand aadvantage miles for a $200 ticket, due to all the fees, they even rewarded me 5,000 miles for my purchase. Every single customer service rep I spoke with told me I should read all their fine print online to add up the fees prior to booking. I could not cancel even within the first 5 minutes. They are aggressive and used tactics trying to make me feel I was inadequate in my booking purchase. Yikes. No reason to fly with them again, their prices are not competitive and their rewards program is not user friendly nor offers half as many perks as other airlines.
RouteSTL to DFW

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

I gave AA a one star rating because I had to choose something. Otherwise, I would have given it a negative. This was my worst flying experience and my children's first flying experience. We were supposed to fly out Sunday morning at 7.45 am and due to a mechanical issue the flight was delayed (at first) and ended up getting cancelled. The next flight out was full, so we had to take the next available flight at 4.45. Spent all day at the airport waiting to start our Orlando vacation. I was thinking this would be the worst part of our trip - but it wasn't. On the way home - our flight was delayed yet again. We flew out 2 hours after our original flight was scheduled, which caused us to miss our connecting flight in Chicago. There were no later flights, so we had to stay overnight. When I asked them about a room, along with many other passengers, we were given a discounted rate at a hotel 15 miles from the airport. The discounted rate was $75 and they didn't offer to pay for a cab (the shuttle wasn't running this late). Rather than taking the room, we slept at the airport. Definitely not what you wish for your children's first flying experience.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteKansas City to Orlando

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

The aircraft was old and dirty. The cabin crew did not engage with passengers, (they only seemed interested in chatting to each other about their layover in London). The aircraft was freezing cold but they refused to notice that the passengers were wrapped up in hoodies and blankets even though passengers complained. Tickets are expensive and additional charges are applied for a second suitcase, if you want to choose a seat and $9 for an alcoholic spirit! The food was nothing short of disgusting. Many passenger bought their own packed lunches. The IFE was like something out of the 70's. Overhead monitors with no choice of movie. Tiny in-ear headsets were begrudgingly handed out to passengers unfortunate enough not to have brought their own. American Airlines are complaining about unfair completion from middle east airlines. Given the choice I would fly on Emirates or Qatar every time!
RouteLondon to Philadelphia

Review by (United States) 27th July 2015

Every time I fly on an American Airlines they lose my luggage, and the planes are always broken. On my way back to MO last time, the plane was delayed in Phoenix for 4 hours, before they finally switched us to a new plane. They still managed to mess up getting my luggage back that night. This time, my flight left an hour late because of AC issues. When we land in Dallas for my transfer, I went from a 45 minute layover, to run as fast as I could to catch my gate. Got there as the door was closing. Turns out that didn't matter, because there was an issue with this plane too. Apparently, one seat was not functioning. I will never fly AA again.
RouteKansas City to Dallas to SLC

Review by (United States) 26th July 2015

It took 37 hours to get to our destination. It was suppose to take 18, or so. My confirmed booked tickets, for my wife and I had two transfers. One in Dallas and one in London. In the end it was 3. Our plane to Heathrow was late and we missed our transfer, so when we got off our plane at Heathrow an American employee gave us new transfer tickets and told us to hurry to our next gate to catch it. So we ran to the next gate which took 30 minutes (Heathrow). When we got there my wife looked at the tickets and the layover was 4 hours. So why did the employee have us run? Because the flight was to Florence, not Pisa and they probably didn't want us to notice. So we went back through security (1.5 hours, Heathrow) and we got new tickets through American through British Airways to Pisa. We had about an hour wait after another run through security (1.5 hours) and back to the proper gate. So why didn't American put us on this flight in the first place? They work with British Airways to get customers to Pisa! Since we got back I contacted American about this issue, they sent us a voucher for $200 for a luggage mess up on the way home. It didn't have anything to do with the sending us to the wrong city.
RouteSeattle to Pisa via Dallas, Heathrow, Barcelona

Review by (United States) 25th July 2015

I am a US college student currently in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I was traveling from Columbus, Ohio with connections in Washington and Miami. I board in Columbus without any problems however once on board I dealt with rude flight attendants. The flight to Washington arrives to DCA on time, I had enough time to board my flight to Miami, where I boarded without any problems but once again faced rude flight attendants. Arrive in Miami 20 minutes delayed where I was called up to the counter by an agent where I was asked to switch seats with another passenger because a family was traveling. I paid extra for this seat because all that was left was the preferred seating, I asked the agent if I would be moved to a preferred seat, she said yes. I get in line to board and am told rudely that I was in boarding group 4 and that they were only boarding group 1 at the moment. I paid extra to be in boarding group 1 and will never again switch seats with someone. Finally am able to board and the safety video plays on the screen on the backs of the seats. The pilot comes over saying that there are two minor problems that need to be taken care of before we can take off. After waiting for over an hour the pilot comes back over the intercom again to explain that we need to deplane. So we got off the plane and wait at the gate for another hour before we are finally told that the flight won't leave until 11.30 the next morning. After waiting forever to speak to the ticket agent and was only offered a transportation voucher. I had to pay for a hotel in Miami.
RouteColumbus, Ohio to Buenos Aires, Argentina