American Airlines

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

Both flights to and from destination had delays. First flight was almost 2 hours delayed due to mechanical failure, we ended up boarding a new plane, then sitting on the runway for another 20 minutes. Return flight didn't have working DC outlet under seat, and GoGo flight entertainment application wouldn't work on the phone, a terrible application. This isn't the first time I have had delays with AA (2+ hours delay due to Mechanical failure on a flight to Cancun via DFW) and if I keep on flying with them, I would assume it wouldn't be the last. Other customers were voicing the same complaints.
RouteSNA to IAH via DFW

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

My flight from London to Chicago was in an ancient plane with no in-flight entertainment. The crew were not very friendly and the food was poor. I was told I would have to pay for spirits (on a long-haul flight!). I would avoid where possible.
RouteLondon to Toronto via Chicago

Review by (United States) 29th June 2015

It was about 82 degrees on the flight home tonight. FA's didn't seem to care about passenger comfort. Passengers were complaining about the air. Television at our seat was intermittently working. This airline needs an overhaul, sadly, just when I'm about to achieve status.
RouteDallas to Fort lauderdale

Review by (Finland) 28th June 2015

You get what you pay for, is how I feel after my second trip with American Airlines. But to be honest, was expecting a worse so I was pleasantly surprised. Flights were on time. Food and drinks were served during the flight. Wine, beer and soft drinks were served for free. Staff was polite, efficient and a few almost friendly. Plane new and clean. Water and juice or soft drinks were left available overnight to be self served. Lots of movies for entertainment. But Online check in was impossible. Especially with a connecting flight (even OneWorld one). Ground service was badly arranged at LAX. No signs or staff to seek help from. Seats in economy uncomfortable. Leg room absolutely minimum for a long-haul flight. Entertainment system worked well but selection in music was terrible. Screen didn't turn so when seats are reclined it's almost impossible to watch anything on it. Quality, taste and portion size of food was a little disappointing. At the end of the day we got where we wanted to go. On time. With no sleep but very, very cheap.
RouteLos Angeles to London

Review by (United States) 28th June 2015

We travel every 1-2 years internationally and often use American because of the flight availability out of Tulsa. Two years ago we flew Delta business class while we chose American business class this time - the difference was startling. Delta was great service, great seats, great food. American Airlines seats were nowhere near as comfortable, the amenity bag was a relative joke, food was acceptable but not as good. The staff were less helpful. almost every flight was late to some degree which meant having to rush to connections. They did a fairly good job in O'Hare of expediting the process. the flight out of O'Hare was one class and despite paying for business class, we received nothing.
RouteRome to Tulsa via Chicago

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

Flight #116 departing Maui on June 22 at 8:35pm was delayed 3.5 hours. All the restaurants and stores at Maui close at 10pm. We asked the flight attendant for one bottle of water to share amongst the four of us (me, my husband, and 2 children) when boarding the flight at 12:15am and were told they have a limited amount for the flight and do not give bottles to customers. Plane had no power outlets in economy class cabin. Even though DFW is closer to my home I will make the extra drive to Love Field and take Virgin to LAX and connect with Hawaiian on my next Hawaii trip.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteOGG to DFW

Review by (United States) 26th June 2015

American Airlines has improved for US domestic travel. I would say 90% of staff encounters I have are upbeat, courteous and professional. I don't know how it's going to be after US Air is fully integrated, but for now I am happy with the new planes, mostly professional FA's, helpful gate agents. There's a tiny part of me that's tempted to try them on an overseas flight, but maybe that's a bridge too far.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteDCA to SFO via ORD

Review by (United States) 25th June 2015

I chose to fly American Airlines because they offered the cheapest flight at the time I booked. I wish I would have paid the extra money to fly another airline now. While leaving Louisiana we boarded the plane twice only to be told to go back and wait in the terminal. We were not informed as to what was going on and when asked if I would make my connecting flight in Dallas I was told that I would find out when I got there. When landing in Dallas I had an hour to get to my other flight (or so I thought). We sat on the runway for over an hour, which of course we were not informed as to what was taking so long. The only thing that made the flight bearable is the fact there was movie service from the flight from Dallas to Las Vegas ($8 for a movie). I attempted to just check in online for my flight leaving tomorrow morning only to find out it told me my request could not be processed and I had to check in at the airport. I called the customer information number listed on the website only to be told it wasn't processing because I did not have a seat on my connecting flight from Dallas to Monroe. To say the least, I will never fly American Airlines again. I will spend the extra money on an airline that I trust and is less stressful to travel with.
RouteMonroe to Las Vegas via Dallas

Review by (United States) 25th June 2015

What a difference a new plane can make. New seat is comfortable and well designed, sat in a reverse facing seat but did not feel out of place. Crew very friendly. Enjoyed the walk up bar area. Food excellent and AVOD same quality as new 777. Took a while to get used to the window shades as people darkened the window to their preference.
RouteBeijing to Dallas

Review by (Finland) 23rd June 2015

I have never encountered less friendly cabin crew than the ones supposedly serving on our flight from Miami to London on June 19th, 2015. That lot was comparable with perhaps the Aeroflot "of old", whereas today you get a smile out of Aeroflot crew. American Airlines has a lot to do in this respect, if they even care. I would feel embarrassed to work for AA, it is a pity that the customers are more polite than their staff.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure