Top 100 Airlines

American Airlines

"customer service really sucks"

Verified Review | Dallas Ft Worth to Columbus via Charlotte with American Airlines. First leg of my flight was good, but second leg of flight was delayed numerous times - as always the gate attendants are slow if at all sharing information. Per the gate attendant, the flight is being delayed because one of the flight attendants hasn't shown up, not a pilot or co pilot but a flight attendant. If American cannot even schedule the personnel why should I think they can get me to my destination on time. Shame on you AA your customer service really sucks.
RouteDFW to CMH via CLT
Date FlownMay 2016

"crew was so rude"

I flew American Airlines from Washington to Seoul via Dallas Ft Worth. The check in was smooth and lounge was acceptable. Friendly crew for the first sector. The problem was on the plane from Dallas to Seoul. I flew Business Class and the seats were angled lie flat. Very uncomfortable for a 14+hr flight. The food was average. However, the crew was so rude. When I asked for a shoehorn, they said that AA did not offer shoehorns, even in Business Class. When I asked why the airline didn't have a shoehorn, they told me not to fly with them. I called the purser and no apology given. Terrible service.
AircraftMD80 / Boeing 777-200
RouteIAD to ICN via DFW
Date FlownMarch 2016

"zero effort for customer service"

Verified Review | Dallas Ft Worth to Las Vegas. We arrived to the gate minutes before takeoff time and were told our seats were given to standby passengers. We were offered to try standby on full flights or to be confirmed for $150 for an evening flight. In none of the confirmation emails we received were we told that our tickets could be given away. It was mentioned that doors close 10 minutes prior to departure and we made that timeline. Everybody we dealt with was rude, with zero effort for customer service.
RouteDFW to LAS

"no personal entertainment"

New York JFK to Milan with American Airlines. The flight was fine, and food and drinks were acceptable. The crew was friendly and efficient. We left on time and arrived early, and who could wish for more? I could! There was no personal entertainment, only a few drop down screens. For an 8 hour flight we could have had a plane with decent IFE.
RouteJFK to MXP
Date FlownApril 2016

"not a single apology from AA"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Toronto via Philadelphia. It was my first time and my last time flying with American Airlines. Right from departing from Amsterdam, the not so comfortable journey back home began. The crew was not friendly, in a rush to pick up things right after they served and a smelly blanket. Then came the painful part after landing in Philadelphia. My flight was supposed to take off at 3:30 pm. The ground staff informed us that there is an issue with the plane and the waiting process began. Three hours after the wait we're notified that the plane will not be taking off and we will be put on another flight coming in at 7pm. The flight came in at 7pm as scheduled, people got off and then the screen flashed with no prior warning "flight cancelled" and we were all left to fend for ourselves. I was responsible to find my own flight since AA incompetent ground staff cannot do anything except for give me a number to call. I finally got put on a American Eagle flight departing at 8:30pm, but that flight got delayed as well and did not take off till 10pm. There was not a single apology from AA for the fiasco. I learnt a good lesson to never fly with AA again since they don't really care for the people other giving them false and incorrect information time after again.
RouteAMS to YYZ via PHL

"no wheelchairs waiting"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to London Heathrow with American Airlines. The food was poor, but worse was the assistance I had booked because of mobility problems. In Los Angeles this was fine, but in London it was appalling. Too few people providing assistance, no wheelchairs waiting for people who needed them (4 or 5 on my flight), long waits for wheelchairs, long queues for seemingly non-existent buggies. I don't understand why Heathrow cannot get this right, where we received appalling treatment.
RouteLAX to LHR
Date FlownApril 2016

"really enjoyed this flight"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Tampa to Chicago with my wife and baby, this first flight with American airlines was fantastic. Checkin was smooth, kind and helpful ground staff. Fast track security was fast. Lounge was quiet and nice with a view of one runway. Alcoholic beverages were not included in the lounge. Boarding was smooth and friendly cabin crew offered us champagne once seated. During the flight lunch we ordered when booking was served. We really enjoyed this flight.
AircraftMD-80
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteTPA to ORD

"American is just bad"

Verified Review | Washington to Columbus with American Airlines. Typical story - delayed 8 minutes, then 30 minutes, then 45 minutes, etc until it reached 4 hours. The reason given was "We have no crew." I wish I could use that excuse at my job. What a terrible company this is. I fly frequently and American is just bad.
RouteDCA to CMH
Date FlownApril 2016

"the service was terrible"

Verified Review | This was the first time in a long time (15 plus years) that I flew on an American Airlines flight. Flew from San Diego to Miami. It was the worst flight I have flown in the last 15 years. The seats felt like sitting on a concrete slab. As a red-eye flight the service was terrible. The entire crew felt like they were being put out of their way in all their duties. It was a 5 hour plus flight and there was not even a small bag of chips provided. The inservice video was not working from my seat with nothing that could be done. On the return flight a week later, another lazy crew was on board. At one point I went to use the lavatory at the rear of the plane and both crew members were sitting in their seats in the last row of the plane talking. In front of the galley was a mother and young daughter who were being shouted at by one of the crew because they had helped themselves to something in the galley. I just hope I never get into another situation where I have no choice but to fly on an American Airlines flight. They are by far the worst to use in my belief.
RouteSAN to MIA
Date FlownApril 2016

"I will not use them again"

Verified Review | Oakland to JFK,New York via Phoenix with American Airlines. Last minute tickets due to a sudden tragic family death. Huge price paid since discount for traveling under circumstances caused by a death refused/eliminated. Made to sit trapped in a plane for an hour delay due to a "tire issue." No temperature control and no crowd control within the plane. I watched the three mechanics below remove the tire, lay it on the tarmac and then appear to be standing around. With a hot, full plane of passengers watching them out the window--you would think they'd work like a racing pit crew, but not them. Took off 1 hour late. Caused missed plane-change connecting flight. No even basic customer service given from gate agents nor the flight attendants about getting us out of Phoenix and home that night though we desperately asked for assistance. Some planes were held so people could make the connection, ours was not with no reason given. We we got on the last American flight out that night only because a nice guy working for the Phoenix airport had a motorized cart and he knew of the last American flight out of there that night and raced us over to it. American gate agent yelled at us as if it were our fault to be arriving late. We incurred a $100 taxi fare because the last plane was to San Francisco instead of Oakland. On JFK to Phoenix leg, multiple passengers and children were allowed to ignore the captain's message about returning to seats and strapping in. As a result aisle remained clogged, children climbing over seats unattended. The chaotic scene was a safety hazard. Flight attendants spent much time in their jump seats curtained off while they talked and laughed. Ran out of food and drinks except warm water and orange juice. No power at seats, no seat screens and extremely limited entertainment options-sound on the music was scratchy and not tolerable. I rarely use American due to their poor ratings - I will not use them even if they were the last plane on earth !
RouteOAK to JFK via PHX