Best Economy Class Seats

American Airlines

"avoid in future whenever possible"

Verified Review | American Airlines texted me the night before I was supposed to leave that they had cancelled my Lexington to Chicago flight. They gave no explanation for the cancellation. They rebooked me on a flight that would get me in 10 hours late. They would not make any effort or go to any expense to find a flight that would get me to my destination even close to the time I needed. They offered no apology or compensation even though the flight that I purchased originally was significantly more expensive than the one they put me on. I will avoid American Airlines in the future whenever possible.
RouteLEX to ORD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"would not allow anyone off"

I left last Monday from Oakland Airport with a stopover in Phoenix and then onto Omaha. Well, due to poor weather we circled Phoenix airport until we ran low on fuel. We were then informed we would be going to Tuscon to get more fuel, we landed in Tuscon and were assured repeatedly it wouldn't take much time and we'd back in Phoenix very soon. Long and short of it, there was a line of planes ahead of us. They would not allow anyone off and we sat there for about 2 hours before getting refueled while being told we were headed back to Phoenix shortly. No food, people missed connecting flights, I was forced to say overnight in Phoenix and missed a very important day of work in Omaha. American insisted they would not offer any compensation in terms of food, hotel, etc., since it was weather related. On top of I found out from another flyer the hotel rooms offered at a "discount" at the Red Lion Inn were actually more expensive than their regular prices. Waiting in American Airlines customer service line was horrible, took a long time (over an hour) with lots of angry people. By the time I got another flight the next day and a room I got 2 hours of sleep. I understand things happen with weather, but the way American Airlines handled this during and after was the worst flying experience I've had to date and I'm 57 years of age. I will avoid flying American Airlines from this point forward and avoid them aggressively.
RouteOAK to OMA
Date FlownJuly 2016

"somewhat below the average"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Boston to New York JFK in August 2015. After a rather fast check-in and boarding process the plane took off in time. It was a short haul flight and the expectations for the meals were low - just a small packet of chips or cookies instead of e.g. a breakfast are definitlely a taboo for a first class service. Furthermore, the variety of beverages was very limitated and coffee was out of stock soon. The cabin facilities have seen better days as well due to the fact that they were certainly in use for decades. The cabin staff was not unfriendly but just executed their duties. Summing up, this flight experience was somewhat below the average.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteBOS to JFK
Date FlownAugust 2015

"crew not interested in the customer"

(Zambia)

Verified Review | Miami to Milan and return with American Airlines. I traveled with AA for the first time and all the stories I had heard about it were verified. To start with the planes were old. The crew though friendly were not interested in the customer. The minute they served the meal they asked the passengers to close the shutters and they disappeared not to be seen until the next meal. The crew on the way from Miami to Milan were the untidiest crew I have ever seen. This crew did not even bother to greet the passengers as we got on and off the plane. It was such a relief to get on Vueling where the crew were the exact opposite. I would never recommend AA and I will defininetly avoid it in future.
RouteMIA to MXP
Date FlownJuly 2016

"put my friends and I through complete hell"

Chicago to Venice. American Airlines has put my friends and I through complete hell. I was supposed to arrive in Venice over 24 hours ago. After delays they switched our flight, on our connecting flight through London the plane had to land in JFK because of computer glitches and they did not feel safe flying over the ocean. After 2 hours of waiting to receive new boarding passes everyone finally boarded a new air craft that would take us instead. Once everyone was seated they immediately told us that there were glitches and we had to exit the plane and that there would be no new flights until the morning. At this point we had now missed an entire day in Venice, lost all of our money spent on hotels and tours in Venice. We have a friend that is there alone waiting for us now for days. After they made us exit the plane at 2am we spent over 3 hours talking with managers and attendants to find a new plane to Venice because at this point if we boarded the morning connecting plane through London we would miss the plane to Venice and the following plane to Venice would make us miss another day, which at that point we were supposed to be going to Florence. During the duration of time we spent after being exited from the plane, they put us on a completely different flight out of LaGuardia and promised that our bags would be moved from JFK to LaGuardia. As we just showed up to pick up our bags we have been told that in fact the bags were never taken off of the plane and are now in London. We spent hours trying to call American Airlines and spent hours talking with different people who have all basically lied to us. The amount of money and time I have wasted is inexcusable. I couldn't imagine a worst start to what is supposed to be the most amazing trip. Thanks, American Airlines.
RouteORD to VCE

"no customer service"

Verified Review | London Heatrow to Chicago with American Airlines. I take lots of flights every year. By far, and I mean by far, the worst of these has been with American Airlines over recent years. Not just one flight, several flights. Flew from Heathrow to Chicago. Problems include: Late flights (4 hour plus delays), uncomfortable seats, no in seat entertainment system (yet to find one on an AA flight). Broken headphone socket (realise this could happen on other airlines). Terrible food, despite being on transatlantic flights. No customer service follow up (almost 3 weeks and still awaiting anything more than an acknowledgement). Will not be flying AA again.
RouteLHR to ORD
Date FlownJune 2016

"seem disinterested in their jobs"

I flew on July 2 from White Plains to Tucson--multiple problems, i.e. no gate available when we landed in Chicago, missed connecting flight and maintenance issues. They did put me up in a hotel for the night in Tempe, but because of all the delays and the time I needed to be back at the airport, I only spent 6 hours at the hotel. Trip home from Tucson to White Plains on July 9 was similar. Delayed flight from Tucson to Chicago due to weather problems and maintenance issues. Cancelled flight from Chicago to White Plains. Spent the night in Chicago (only 4 hours at the hotel), flew to Charlotte and then to White Plains. Due to delayed flights, services were not available, i.e. restaurants were closed, limited personnel to assist, etc. I have not flown American in sometime and their service has diminished immensely. Many of the employees are rude and seem disinterested in their jobs. Back to Delta.
RouteHPN to TUS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"will avoid American in future"

Verified Review | Tyler to Savannah via Dallas with American Airlines. Originating flight delayed half hour due to plane leaving DFW late. Not allowed to take any carry on bags into cabin resulting in 15 minute delay collecting bags. Waited on tarmac 10 minutes because a plane was still in our gate. Raced from gate 34 to 9 hailing cart to actually arrive before door closed. Hour and a half layover completely evaporated. Many fellow passengers missed connections. There was no attempt to provide assistance other than providing passengers with connecting gate numbers. Unable to download boarding passes on phone. They appear to be totally disorganized. I will avoid American in the future Delta is much more efficient.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTYR to SAV via DFW
Date FlownJuly 2016

"completely disappointed in AA"

Phoenix to Cancun and completely disappointed in American Airlines. My husband and I booked a flight to Cancun. Three weeks before our departure we logged in to check seat status, only to find out we have to pay an additional $75 per passenger in order to sit together - as if the tickets weren't expensive enough. We called customer service and we pretty much got a "take it or leave it attitude" from the supervisor. This is the last time I use this airline.
RoutePHX to CUN

American Airlines customer review

Verified Review | The flight from Dallas/Fort Worth to London (Heathrow) was delayed more than 3 hours, during this time no explanation or apology was given. When we eventually boarded the staff were extremely rude and condescending. The inflight entertainment was poor, the quality of the screens was something you would expect in the 1980's, and the selection of movies was awful. The in-flight food was inedible. The seats were uncomfortable and dirty. Overall this was the worst airline I have travelled with and will not fly with them again.
RouteDFW to LHR