Vote Now

American Airlines

"Don't fly with these guys"

Verified Review | Denver to London via Chicago. Third long haul and third massive delay on the return. American Airlines is not only budget but also can't ever seem to run on time or manage decent connection. Thank you again for wasting yet another day of mine. Little apology, little solutions and just another disaster. Don't fly with these guys.
RouteDenver to London via Chicago
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"do not care about their customers"

Verified Review | Philadelphia to Cancun. I had booked a flight with American Airlines and the flight ended being changed to later times. I was on my way to my honeymoon with my wife and we had previously reserved seats for them to be together. After realizing that these time changes were huge inconviences their customer service refused to allow for us to schedule our seats together and insisted we needed to pay a 100$ fee in order to get two seats together. Due to the change, the fact that there were already seats scheduled to be together on the previous flight, and the fact that we were taking their airline to Dublin, Ireland once we got back and they still did not budge proves that they do not care about their customers. For those who are not flying on their business credit card sure seem to be worthless in their corporate eyes. I could not be more disappointed with their customer service department or lack of its existence. This experience has definitely led me to start doing more research on airlines that I travel on. I will not being using this airline in the future due to their lack of empathy for others traveling situations with no care for the customers' concerns in mind.
RoutePhiladelphia to Cancun
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"cabin-crew well-trained and cordial"

Verified Review | Flew from New York-JFK to Charlotte with American Airlines. The check-in staff at JFK was friendly and helpful with my overweight baggage. I was even able to check-in my cabin baggage for free at the gate, which made my journey easier and more comfortable. Although the aircraft was spacious, it was slightly old and not in a very good condition. You have a variety of sodas and coffee or tea to choose from for your complimentary drinks which comes with a packet of pretzels. There is no complimentary wi-fi on board, which is disappointing after travelling on airlines like JetBlue. The cabin-crew was well-trained and cordial during the flight. AA staff at JFK was great and managed to get this flight to Charlotte on time.
RouteNew York JFK to Charlotte
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"cabin clean and spacious"

Verified Review | Flew from Albany to Charlotte with American Airlines. The cabin was clean and spacious. Considering the flight was full, I hope AA considers using larger and more spacious aircrafts on this route. The complimentary F&B included a scarce variety of sodas or coffee and a packet of pretzels, which was disappointing after travelling in some other airlines like JetBlue. There was no complimentary WiFi on board for this flight. The staff at Albany and Charlotte was friendly and professional, giving a nice start and end to the journey. The person at the gate checked-in my cabin baggage for free, which added to my comfort. The boarding was well-organized as well. In a nutshell, the staff at AA is well-trained and the airline has got its tasks well sorted out, which negates unnecessary hassles I have witnessed at other airlines.
RouteAlbany to Charlotte
Date FlownOctober 2016

"interior of the plane was in such poor condition"

Verified Review | Flew American Airlines from Piedmont Triad Airport to Las Vegas via Charlotte. I was shocked at how the interior of the plane was in such a poor condition. On the top of the seats it looked like they were coming apart and the plane was dirty too. The flights were on time and the staff were acceptable. I fly American because they are the most convenient to use and that is the only reason. I recommended this airline because they are not any different than the other airlines flying in the USA that I have been on.
RoutePiedmont Triad to Las Vegas via Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"does not about their passengers"

Unverified | I was flying with LATAM from Lima, Peru. When I arrived in New York, American Airlines failed to tell me my flight to Toronto was cancelled. I spent 15 hrs waiting around for another flight, only to find out I was to be at another airport to catch my next flight. I then arrived in Washington, we boarded the plane, sat there for 30min then they made us go back to the gate because the flight was cancelled. They never updated the board or contacted me to let me know that apparently, to the American Airline customer service that the flight left around 5pm. I was told there were no flights to Toronto till tomorrow, I was never asked if I wanted to be put on standby after spending 24hrs without sleep and staying in airports. At 9pm I saw there was a flight to Toronto asked to be put on it, there were 3 empty seats! Meanwhile, they booked me for a flight the next day at 2pm. This airline does not about their passengers. LATAM put me up in a hotel for the night because I had no where to go.
RouteNew York to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"there is great inconsistency by flights and crew"

Verified Review | Given the many negative reviews about American Airlines, I was dreading the journey from New Orleans to JFK via Charlotte, especially because only hours before the departure time, the area had been ravaged by a tornado. In the event, the flight was only 15 minutes late in departing. It was a bumpy flight but the flight attendant came by frequently with a basket of snacks and offers of alcoholic drinks. Connecting in Charlotte required a bit of a walk through crowded concourses and the flight to JFK took off on time and arrived almost 20 minutes before schedule! Again, very friendly service with repeated servings (alas) of the same snacks and drinks. Seats on both flights were comfortable and there was a modern entertainment system on the back of the front seat with a decent selection of shows. I merely followed the travel map tracking the flight. All in all, the flights and the crew belied my apprehensions. It is clear that there is great inconsistency by flights and crew. Could the airline do a better job with training and following their own rules and policies?
AircraftA320 / Boeing 737
RouteNew Orleans to New York JFK via Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"the worst airline I have ever flown"

Verified Review | I flew from London to Miami via British Airways which was a superb flight. Then I had a connection from Miami to Montevideo using American Airlines. The difference between these 2 experiences was staggering. When I finally cleared imigration in Miami (although I was in transit) which took over 2 hours I went to the business class lounge the staff were pleasant and the lounge not too bad but the food was minimal and not up to business class standard and I was given a voucher for 2 drinks. I use lounges all over the world and this is the first one I have ever used that expected you to pay for your drinks. I don't think American Airlines have any idea what business class passengers expect and I doubt if they care. We then went to the gate although they don't give you any information when you should go. When we arrived at the gate we had our boarding passes that had been issued in London (I was travelling with my brother) I went through fine but they stopped my brother and told him they had changed his seat. I asked the incompetent at the gate why? No apology in any form I was just told it was nothing to do with him and he couldn't do anything. I asked for the purser once on board and these 2 women turned up one was the purser and one was ground crew when we explained that we were not happy that this had happened they again gave no apology and said they it wasn't to do with them and what did they expect me to do throw people out of their seats? (ironic as this is just what they did to us). When we pointed out that there was something wrong with a system that allowed this to happen the purser got defensive and threatened to have us thrown off the aircraft. Just bullying us. All the time this was happening this was stood up in front of all the passengers a very unpleasant experience and dreadful customer service. The plane was tired, narrow seats that when you tried to lie down you felt that you were in a coffin, no built in entertainment centre, I didn't eat dinner but had breakfast which was appalling. All the crew were wearing different clothes so they had no attention to detail and no uniform in the true sense of the word.This is the worst airline I have ever flown. I am now 60 and I have being flying since I was 7. American Airlines do not understand in any way what Business class passengers require.
RouteMiami to Montevideo
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"will never fly with AA again"

Unverified | Philadelphia to San Francisco. My flight was delayed in Philadelphia for an hour, which caused me to missed my connecting flight in San Francisco to Sydney. After contacting American Airlines before touchdown in San Francisco, I was informed that they would put me up in a hotel and my flight would be changed to the next night. When I arrived at the terminal in San Francisco, I went to the American Airline desk and asked who I could talk to about my accommodation due to my missed flight. The first thing the women, who ended up being a supervisor, said to me was "Well what time is your flight?" I responded and told her that my flight to Sydney was supposed to depart at 11:25 pm -- her response, "Well, it's only 10:50". From there on I was in complete shock, what kind of response is that? I felt as though she was making assumptions about what I knew/ did not know before even asking me my name or flight number. I explained to her that I was already booked on another flight for the next night and for anyone who has flown internationally, as well as ever been to the San Francisco airport, knows it would be impossible for me to have made that flight (I was also already told prior to landing that they would not hold my flight to Sydney and there was nothing they could do except accommodate me). She then proceeded to tell me there was nothing she could do because the delay was due to the weather and not mechanics which sounds ridiculous to me. Not once did she ask me my name, my flight or anything. She was very inconsiderate and made me feel like this problem was my fault and it was not her's to deal with. She handed me a slip with an 800 number that I could call for a hotel. My main issues with the situation above were that from the start there were inconsistencies with their accommodations and what their employees are told. No one should have told me I would have been put up in a hotel if that was untrue. Second, was that this woman could not have cared less about a paying customer. American Airlines, you could not have put me up in a hotel for ~$100 when I paid over $1000 to fly with you? I hopefully will never have to fly with American Airlines again.
RoutePhiladelphia to San Francisco

"rude and disorganized"

Verified Review | Phoenix to Lihue.The personnel working for this company are rude and disorganized The person at the gate even lied about the seat configuration. She stated that the 75.00 upgraded seat did not have more legroom, that we paid extra for the seat to sit closer to the front! Then once on the plane the attendant start allowing bystanders to pick open seats - there were economy seats that should have been used up first. To make matters worse I was still not able to be seated next to my wife. We fly often and it was so bad that I wrote my first negative review.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy