American Airlines

"no way near First Class experience"

Review by (Austria)

Chicago to Minneapolis in American Airlines First class (due to upgrade) on an MD80 (an old plane, but seemed well maintained and comfortable for this short flight, with standard First class seats). Flight on time and no drama. Cabin staff in First Class was attentive and trying to give a good experience. Coffee/Drinks and some pre-packaged cookies were distributed for breakfast. Check-in in ORD was slightly weird. I was using economy check-in kiosks, as they were closest to the door where I entered the airport and had no lines. The first two machines did not work and froze immediately. Going to the next machine I was approached by an American Airlines employee and asked if I needed help. “Probably not, if this machine works”. The third machine finally did work. However, I got a lecture by this officious person that American Airlines requires to be at the airport at least two hours before the flight and actually three hours is needed to make the flight. Aside from the fact that he did not know or ask my departure time or flight number or anything else before lecturing me and the whole area was not busy at all, he was just delaying me while doing the check-in. All officious, surly and completely unwarranted. I finished check-in, went through TSA within 15 minutes and still had more than one hour left to wait at the gate before boarding started. Priority bags out first in MSP. Except for this weird encounter during check-in, the flight was ok, but of course no way near a First Class experience. Also, of course good value due to the upgrade.
AircraftMD80
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteORD to MSP
Date FlownJuly 2015

"will avoid"

Review by (Canada)

I was flying out of Maui and it took several American Airlines agents to figure out how to issue the boarding passes for my family and check our luggage from Maui to Ottawa. We waited from 7.15pm until 8.50pm for them. We were originally scheduled to fly with United as part of a code share with Air Canada. At the airport, when we checked in with UA, they informed us of the changes and sent us to AA counter as our trip from Maui to Los Angeles was now with American Airlines. The agents sent us back to UA. The agent at UA was very helpful, printed the itinerary for us and told us that all the information was in order. In the end, the AA manager made some phone call to figure out how to issue our boarding pass and check in our luggage. They could have done that within the first 20 minutes instead of wasting our 1.5 hours in that hot airport. We did not receive any apology. When they issued our boarding passes, our family of four were split into 3 groups, when there were 3 empty rows (9 seats) at the back of the plane. When I walked to the back of the plane and asked the stewardess about putting me and my husband back there, they said no. My guess was those seats were kept for them to sleep/use for storage during the flight. Crew service was average. It was a red eye flight so there was little service required. The crew did not greet the customers on arrival and departure. I will avoid AA in the future.
RouteMaui to Ottawa via LA

"has gone downhill"

Review by (United States)

American Airlines is not the airline it used to be and has gone downhill since the merger with US Airways. My wife and I were recently on a smaller plane from Hartford to National and my wife could not make the flight. When I called to see if they would change the flight for her I was told it would cost an additional $200 plus the difference in the cost of the ticket. I expected this and had a fall back of a $60 fare with another airline. Told myself I would enjoy the extra room on the cramped seats with the seat next to me being empty. American Airlines decided to put someone in the seat and after I told them I had paid for it and wanted to use it was told too bad they could take it. So this seat was paid for twice. Once by me and again by another passenger.
RouteBDL to DCA

"very enjoyable experience"

Review by (United States)

Guadalajara to Chicago via Dallas/Ft Worth with American Airlines, and no problems. Flight to Guadalajara and back were good. Seat was not comfortable on the older MD80, but well managed and very clean. The A320 has inflight entertainment, however it stopped working about 30 minutes before landing. Flight attendants were kind and attentive, and the snack pack is actually a good buy on economy. Overall, very enjoyable experience.
AircraftMD80 / A320
RouteGDL to ORD via DFW

"has gone downhill"

Review by (United States)

American airlines has gone downhill since the merger, the personnel are rude and unhelpful especially in Phoenix. My most current flight was so cramped. They cut corners and up prices. This flight over the Pacific felt like I was on a flight from the early 90s it was so behind the times in the cabin.
Aircraft767
RouteDallas to Kahalue
Date FlownAugust 2015

"will never fly AA again"

Review by (Canada)

I am so disappointed in American Airlines and their customer service. On August 26th I left from Vancouver to head to LAX. I was supposed to have a 51 minute layover before I jumped on my next flight to Denver. This was not going to be a problem, I was assured by many staff members that our arrival gate was right next to my departure gate, I did not have any luggage only a carry on, and did not need to go through security, just simply get on the flight. As I boarded my plane, we were told that we would have to sit there for another 45 minutes because LAX was under construction and was not ready for us to arrive at our estimated time. This made my connection now only 25 minutes before departure of my Denver flight, but again I was reassured by staff that this would not be an issue. Upon arrival at 9pm (25 minutes before departure of next flight) the pilot informed us that even though they were aware there were many who needed to run to their connecting flight, we were unable to get off. By the time we got off the plane and ran next door to our gate, American Airlines flight to Denver had already closed the door. I ran to the staff member right away as I was only a minute or two behind the designated "door closing" time and was rudely dismissed and told there was nothing that could be done. After waiting 20 minutes, a member came and helped me reschedule my flight for the next morning at 6.30am. Seeing as it was 9.30 pm, I would need accommodation for the night. American Airlines offered zero help with accommodation. In result, seeing as my flight was very early in the morning and I needed to be there the night before, I had to stay at a hotel close by. I contacted AA about this issue, but my complaint and request for reimbursement was dismissed. I will never fly AA again.
RouteVancouver to Denver via Los Angeles

"experience was awful"

Review by (United States)

After boarding the American Airlines flight, we were kept on the plane, sitting on the tarmac for 2 hours. There were vague updates every 45 minutes and the flight attendants knew nothing about what the hold-up was. We were told that something minor had to be fixed and then were told that paperwork was being wrapped up but we had to wait another 45-60 minutes for this. Whenever the flight crew made an announcement, it didn't sound like they really knew what was going on. To top off the fact that they kept us trapped on the plane for that long, the flight attendant only came around one time to give us one small glass of water. Then 1.5 hrs after we took off, they offered us another glass of a complimentary beverage (after we took off the plane felt very stable in the air but apparently the pilot ordered that beverage service not start for a long period of time - no reason was provided). Overall, the way American Airlines crew handled this situation was very disappointing. They came off as incompetent. That entire experience was awful.
RouteMiami to Washington

Review by (Spain)

I'm one of the passengers of AAL 95 flight that had to leave today August 29th at 10:55 AM heading from Madrid to New York. We had a technical problem half an hour after starting the journey and we have been informed that we returned to Barajas airport to repair it. Once there, just over half an hour later they informed us that the problem was solved but they had to consult with Dallas if the flight crew could conduct in question or not. Minutes later, they told us that regrettably could not make the trip and moved all the passengers to a hotel with expenses paid. Moreover, we confirmed that the flight would leave the next day at 9:00 AM and we had to be at the airport at 6:00 am in order to embark. What is our surprise now, in the hotel where we are staying, they have been placed for a notice explaining that the flight will start tomorrow at 9:00 PM by decision of the pilot. After calling the airline does not give us any reason to delay the flight 12 hours. We have wasted two whole days.
RouteMadrid to New York

Review by (Malta)

London to New York with American Airlines. The cabin crew were friendly, food was tasty, and the trip was comfortable. For a relatively long flight, it was pleasant, and more comfortable than many flights I've been on.
RouteLondon to New York
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (Egypt)

Paris CDG to New York JFK I only flew American Airlines because all of the one-stop flights from Cairo to New York via Qatar Airways were full, and I figured that one transatlantic flight on American Airlines was worth it to experience Qatar Airways business class between Doha and CDG. Boarding was slightly problematic. They announced business class boarding, and when I walked up to go through, I was rudely told that only business class passengers were boarding. It was assumed that due to my appearance that I couldn't possibly be a business class passenger, but once they realized the mistake, no apology was forthcoming. The plane was obviously old and the IFE personal entertainment screen was small, with a very limited selection of movies and television shows. When "The Good Wife" is the most interesting series available, there's a problem. However, the seat worked, and the flight attendants were nice, even though they didn't go the extra mile- everyone had to take care of their own carry-on and put it in the overhead bin. My special Halal meal was great, for both the main course and snack selectio". My main course was similar to everyone else's in terms of presentation, but my snack was even better - instead of the Croque Monsieur Sandwich or Thai sandwich that the other passengers got, I got an awesome shrimp dish. The flight wasn't bad, per se, but if you're going to fly business class, there are many better airlines out there.
RouteCDG to JFK