American Airlines

"I warned my travel party"

Trip Verified | I warned my travel party before we left that we should not fly with American Airlines since I had so much trouble in the past. I have never been so right. Our first flight was delayed and my daughter and I ran to catch our connecting flight. We made it in time and I told the ticket attendee that my mother who is 66 years old was right behind us with my sister. The reply I got made me see red. The attendee informed me they had one minute and forty five seconds to get there. Then she informed me we were all "degated" and she had a volunteer she was going to seat. 1 minute 45 seconds has not expired yet and she says the door is closed and shuts the door. Right as my mother and sister arrive. Next flight is 6 hours later putting us at our destination at 1030 pm. So having all this time at the airport, I decided to write a review.
RouteCharlotte to Burlington
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"should get a polite a courteous reception"

Trip Verified | I just had the worst customer service I’ve ever had with an airline. American Airlines customer service at Philadelphia International Airport has totally gone to pot. Now you not only have to tag your own bag and put it on the conveyor, but you have to put up with some of the rudest counter staff in the airline industry. After I tagged my bag, I went to weigh it and the woman asked for my boarding pass and ID. I held it out for her and she asked again for my boarding pass and ID. I said here it is, and she said again boarding pass and ID. She would not take it or ask me to display it, she just asked for boarding pass and ID. So, I separated them and she said OK. She didn’t get a look at the ID, just saw that I had it in my hand. I could have shown her a library card as far as she knew. Then at the TSA, when I walked up to the Kiosk and held out my boarding pass and ID for the woman there she didn’t take it, she pointed to the front of the kiosk where she wanted me to stand without saying a word. I fly into PHL often and this was the worst customer service I have ever had at any airport. When you are paying a thousand dollars for service on American, you should get a polite a courteous reception. I remember when flying meant great customer service, but now it seems like you really don't want us here.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePhiladelphia to Charlotte

"stewardess berated me"

Trip Verified | Midland to Lafayette via Dallas. This was the worst flight I have had. An older female stewardess berated me in front of everyone twice, once for not knowing it was not free seating like my pleasant flights on large Southwest aircraft, and again when I asked what type of cookie, she rolled her eyes and tried to shove it at me, very rude. The next flight the male steward called me out on overhead mic cause I had to use restroom.
RouteMidland to Lafayette via Dallas
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"people who care about the customers"

Trip Verified | Dallas to Memphis. I was having a hard time booking my flight on my laptop and the employee at DFW ticket counter went out of his way to help me get my flight booked. I tried to give $20.00 for all his help I insisted he take the money. He told me he was happy to help me. I was able to make it home with his help. It is great to have people who care about the customers and go the extra mile for them. Thank You!
RouteDallas to Memphis
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"downward spiral in service delivery"

(Jamaica)

Trip Verified | San Diego to Kingston via Miami. Terribly disappointed as American Airlines continues to give a downward spiral in service delivery - after taking them to San Diego and return it is now clear that they see the Caribbean as not a key customer base. These first class tickets were a complete waste of Money no lounge access and very aloof agents in Miami international who were quite proud to say that the Caribbean Market is not where their focus is. I will be spending my money with other carriers - bye bye American.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteSan Diego to Kingston via Miami
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Dayton to Jacksonville via Charlotte. I had found trip tickets for 2/5/18 and this had to be the worst experience flying I could have imagined. My first flight was fine but when I reached Charlotte I was informed that my connecting flight was delayed so much so that it was going to ruin my plans to see my husband who is active duty military. I was able to switch flights to land in New Bern NC rather than OAJ, but then I had to rent a vehicle to drive an additional hour to get to my destination. In the midst of all this my flight back to Charlotte was delayed 4 times and my time with my husband was spent trying to figure out how I was to get home now since my connecting flight (last flight of the evening) was now going to be missed leaving me stranded in Charlotte. I only ended up getting to spend 1 hour with him and I do not know when I will see him again...i drove to the airport in hopes that I could get a connecting flight home but there was none...so I took the flight I had from OAJ to Charlotte and had to get yet another rental to drive 7.5 hours through the night to get home in time to head right back out to work. It was the worst day and it's almost impossible to get anyone to assist with any kind of refund. What was a $500 trip ended up costing well over $900. Will never fly this airline again.
RouteDayton to Jacksonville via Charlotte
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"it was a reasonably comfortable flight"

Trip Verified | Flew New York JFK to LAS Vegas with American Airlines. Was upgraded to first class on this domestic non-stop flight. Plans pushed back on time but had to be deiced because of incoming snowstorm thus delaying take off. For the most part the flight was smooth and we landed only a few minutes late. A breakfast was served - there were two choices. Drinks and snacks were regularly offered. Our coats were taken and hung up. The flight attendant serving the cabin was efficient. The wi-fi did not work. There were no personal entertainment screens. One needed to stare at a wall mounted screen, cheap head phones were provided. Ample leg space but the seat did not recline. Bathrooms became untidy towards the end of the flight. In sum, it was a reasonably comfortable flight but would not pay first class fare for the experience.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteNew York JFK to Las Vegas

"everything worked well"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | Flew from Charlotte to San Francisco. Although I wasn´t expecting too much from American Airlines, I have to say that this time everything was fair enough. Nothing outstanding, but everything worked well. Perhaps service was somehow rough. Food and beverages were ok. The aircraft was old and worn. Ground service was bad and impersonal.
RouteCharlotte to San Francisco
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"It was the worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Where do I even begin with this airline? I could start by saying I will never be flying with them again. American has not once, but twice lost my infant car seat, stroller, and base when flying with a 5 month old baby. My most recent flight I had checked my stroller, car seat and base at my gate, when I arrived in Dallas for my layover it was nowhere to be found. When I asked for assistance it seemed that no one working for American had any idea what they were doing. One gentleman unloading baggage was trying his best to help us by calling his supervisor who took 30-40 minutes to even answer the phone. We got sent back and forth between employees who didn't feel like dealing with us and told us things like "I honestly have no idea how to do this". "Baggage claim isn't answering my calls" and things like "You are going to have to go back to the gate you came from I don't have time to deal with this". The most frustrating moment was when the supervisor finally showed up 40 minutes later, meanwhile I am holding my sick, hysterical child on my hip in the airport trying not to miss my next flight that leaves in 30 minutes. The supervisor drives past us in a baggage car, not even stopping saying "you are going to have to call baggage claim and see where it is, I don't know what to tell you, it must be lost somewhere". It was the worst customer service I have ever experienced. I was then told to go to my next gate and wait there so I didn't miss my next flight. So I carried my child to the opposite end of the airport with no stroller and no extra hands to carry my personal items. When I arrived at my next gate and told the new American employee what was going on she responded by saying. "Oh, you're going to have to go back to the gate you came from. That isn't in my department since you came from a different gate". So extremely frustrating! I then proceeded to ask the employee how she expected me and my child to get home from the airport with no car seat or base when I arrive at my final destination. She then stated that I can file a claim with American and "maybe" they will supply me with a used one to get home from the airport. $250 later my husband had to meet me at the airport, 2 hours from our home with a brand new car seat and base we had to purchase so that we could safely leave the airport with our child. When we arrived at our final destination we were then told our baggage had never even left the first airport we left from. American Airlines stated if they could find our items they would send them to our address. Two days later an American airline employee shows up at our house at 1am with our items! One o clock in the morning! This is one of the most ridiculous and stressful experiences I have dealt with. American not only has terrible customer service but not one of their employees was knowledgeable or accommodating to our situation. This was a nightmare and totally unacceptable! I would advise anyone to steer clear of flying American Airlines. Thank goodness for family that was able to meet me at the airport with new items to get home, otherwise I may have been stuck at the airport with my child all night! So extremely pathetic American Airlines.
RouteSacramento to Pensacola
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"make an effort to care"

Trip Verified | Poor customer service after delayed flights with American Airlines. Arrived at Columbia early to try and get another flight because I knew weather was bad today and it was going to be bad across the country. Even though the plane had 8+ seats on both legs to Cleveland I was refused standby and was not allowed to purchase a ticket. You lost an additional sale - someone needs some more training. So, as I guessed original flight from CAE is delayed. When the aircraft arrives, absolutely no hustle by anyone to get the plane boarded. I will give props to the pilot - was ready to push off immediately and made up some time in the air. Land in Washington and have to wait for the ground crew to move equipment out of the way. Really? How does this happen when we were due in 30 minutes ago? We have to wait for all luggage to be pulled and the wait for the bus driver to take us to the terminal. No attempts made to speed anything up. Finally make it to the terminal about 2 minutes late, and no effort is made to route another bus to the plane even though there were 15+ minutes until scheduled take off. I asked to check on other flights and he said he couldn't help me as he stares at his computer in front of him. I eventually make it onto another delayed flight after finding someone with some empathy. When you know all of you're flights are late, make an effort to care and try to be prepared and efficient. And it would be nice to hold flights for a few minutes when you know connecting flights are on the ground, but that's understandable not to hold them. 2 points for the pilot. Everyone else was a disappointment.
RouteColumbia to Cleveland via Washington