American Airlines

"just proves why I stick with Delta"

Verified Review | Flew Chicago to Syracuse. Another disaster of American Airlines customer service. I get to the terminal 3 hours early and there is an earlier flight to my destination half full. I cannot even go standby due to my 'status' on American. Watched the half full early flight depart and sat 3 hours to get on the original departure. Don't have these issues with Delta, United etc and they go out of their way to accommodate. If American wants me to obtain status, well this just proves why I stick with Delta.
RouteChicago to Syracuse
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"couldn't have a crew ready"

Verified Review | Miami to Seattle via Phoenix. They canceled my flight out of Miami which was 55 hours before Irma hit Miami. So when they canceled me and 80% of the rest of their flights at a time when other airlines were scrambling to get people out of harms way, there were no options left. Thousands of people stranded with a category 5 coming. They charged me $745 to change my flight. They booked, canceled, rebooked, canceled, rebooked 4 times. On the day I finally got out of Miami, Wednesday, 3 days after the storm, AA had canceled 81% of their flights. My flight was not canceled, but it was 3 hours late because there were no attendants. 81% of their flights are canceled and they couldn't have a crew ready for my flight. Never will I give them my money.
RouteMiami to Seattle via Phoenix
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"discrepancies in a website"

Verified Review | Orlando to San Francisco. I booked my flight through a 3rd party (justfly.com), and I selected my flight as Direct. When I go to the airport and do the whole process to go to the gate I found out that I had to do a stop over in Charlotte. I took the flight because I was an emergency, but I decided to called the next day. When I called to ask, why the have discrepancies in their website, no body was available to help me. I decided to call AA customer service to claim because even my confirmation letter says that I had to do a stop and also change planes. My intention at this point is not to ask for a refund or nothing, just to let them know the discrepancies in a website. As a customer the minimum I deserve is that my questions can be answered with courtesy and respect.
RouteOrlando to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"incompetent and uncaring people"

Verified Review | Booked on 6:30 am flight to Ronald Reagan airport to leave from gate A8 in Cincinnati. Sent to gate A6 until boarding time 6am. Then sent back to A8 and at 7:02am the flight shows up on gate sign as on time. Flight is actually a half hour late and counting. Every time I fly American out of Cincinnati Northern KY airport the American employees distinguish themselves as incompetent and uncaring people. No credible information is shared with paying customers. I've been lied too on more than one occasion. The American airline personnel do not know the value of good honest customer service.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteCincinnati to Washington
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Just not worth the stress"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I had heard terrible press about American Airlines - I am so disappointed to find it's all true. Despite booking 5 months ago, I was put on standby due to overbooking for my flight from Santiago to Dallas then Hong Kong. Passengers from a flight to Miami, cancelled only that day, were given seats ahead of me! After a harrowing 3 hour wait, I was given one of the last seats just as the plane commenced boarding. Check in staff were very very slow. Not sure what the problem was but it took an hour for me to reach the front of a 10 person queue with 3 counters open. Onboard staff were also quite rude - they appear to hate their jobs and certainly the passengers! Abrupt, unresponsive. All very different to the cheerful, brand-proud messages in the recorded safety briefing, about how great AA is! I won't fly with them again. Just not worth the stress of not knowing if you'll actually fly with them, despite a paid booking.
RouteHong Kong to Santiago via Dallas Fort Worth

"flights were delayed"

Verified Review | I purchased a round trip Charlotte to Harrisburg and going and coming flights were delayed. Right now I'm sitting in the airplane back in Charlotte because they can't find a gate. We have been here for 20 minutes now. Do not fly American Airlines if you can help it. Update I have now been in here waiting for 35 Minutes.
RouteCharlotte to Harrisburg
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"17th delayed flight in the last few months"

Verified Review | As usual the flight is delayed. It has been four hours so far. The attendents making the announcements scavenged all of the drinks and snacks that were put out for the passengers on the delayed flight. The attendents working the counter also were extremely rude. Some of the passengers were making statements of frustration and the attendents were actually yelling back saying it's not their fault and we all should just quit complaining. Unbelievable! Instead of appreciating our business and apologising for the inconvinience of being delayed (once again, this is my 17th delayed flight in the last few months) the employees got defensive, rude and disruptive. Instead of American being empathetic and compensating passengers with miles, they are rude and unappreciative of their customer base. Not happy with this airline at all.
RoutePhilidelphia to Peoria
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"insensitive to customers needs"

Verified Review | My wife and I were delayed in the Jacksonhole runway because the airline was running late with de-icing solution. This caused us to only have 30 minutes to catch our connection in Dallas. We ran across the Dallas airport and made it in time to see our plane and have another passenger who made it to the gate after us to be let on board. American told us that the system would not let us in but they let the other passenger on board because he had others in his party on board. We also had two in our party that made it on the plane 1 minute before us but they paid no attention to that detail for us. I have over 50,000 miles with American and don't think I can ever fly with them again after being treated this way. Customer service reps are a bunch of robots and totally insensitive to their customers needs.
RouteJacksonhole to Lafayette la via Dallas
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never fly with them again"

Verified Review | Seattle to Quito via Dallas. For about a year, we planned a trip to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu, and bought round trip airline tickets on American Airlines. The night before our flight (flight departing morning of 8/5/17), we printed boarding passes. At approximately 10PM we received a non-urgent email from American stating: please call to rebook your flight. No other info given. We almost overlooked the email because of the lack of urgency and the fact that we already had our boarding passes. When we called we were informed our entire trip to Equador was cancelled due to ground conditions. I called both airports we would be landing at and they reported no delays or ground conditions. American Airlines would not tell us what the ground conditions were. The night they cancelled, American Airlines only offered to move us to a flight on American leaving 48 hours later which would not get us to our destination for 4 days. (Our original flight would get us there in just over 24 hours.) They would not put us on a flight with another airline, which were available. They did not apologize and treated us like we were wasting there time. We were told we would not be given any compensation for the loss of 4 days of our trip. I called other airlines myself, in the middle of the night, and booked us on Delta (for flights that would get us to our destination on time,) but had to pay $4500 out of pocket. Delta got us to our destination on time and with no ground condition delays. We landed at the same time our original flight was scheduled to land. Upon return from our trip, we tried to contact customer relations at American to get a refund. There was no phone number, so we wrote an email and waited for a call. A day later, a representative notified us we would be getting no compensation for our losses. She gave a cursory "I apologize for your inconvenience" She gave us no further support and would not transfer us to a superior. She actually rose her voice with us when we asked to speak to someone else and said she had the authority to make these decisions. There are no phone numbers for customer service, refunds, or managers. Approximately 1 month after our cancelled flight, we finally received a refund of $1680 for the cost of the flight that was cancelled, but we were not compensated for the $4500 we lost. We felt that each person we talked to was unhelpful and even rude at times. We understand that flights can get cancelled but expect to be helped onto another flight in a timely manner or compensated for our losses. At the very least we should have an explanation of why our trip was cancelled. American did none of these and we will never fly with them again
RouteSeattle to Quito via Dallas
Date FlownAugust 2017

"stick to using Southwest Airlines"

Verified Review | Austin to El Paso via Dallas. My bag was lost when I arrived to El Paso, TX at 12pm. My bag was not delivered until past 7pm. I wasted all evening waiting for my bag and had to cancel plans that I was not able to reschedule. When checking in my bag, a group of four ladies chatted away while several people waited in line. A woman then made a smart comment about using the qiosk to check in our bags. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the qiosks are meant for busy times. There were enough staff members to help those who were in line but they appeared to be too busy to do their job. Needless to say, I will stick to using Southwest Airlines in the future whom I've never had issues with.
RouteAustin to El Paso via Dallas