American Airlines

Review by (France) 3rd August 2015

US Airways now merged into American Airlines does not seem to have made much effort into improving service! Despite a good aircraft and a well extended network, with an IFE not functioning on my seat and a crew with a "it's just a job" attitude, the experience was unpleasant!
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteCDG to PHL

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

We were delayed 2.5 hours in the airport. Then when we do board we sit in the airplane for another hour with no updates as to what was going on. Finally the captain tells us the flight crew "timed out" and we have to return to the terminal. We waited another 20 minutes to get in to the terminal and were told to go to the help desk to reschedule. We returned to the line containing about 4 separate flights worth of people. They would only put us on AA flights so we were very limited. We received no compensation or food vouchers and were forced to sleep at the airport. The next day we caught our flights and though we were told our baggage would be in Philadelphia to meet us, it was not. We had to wait in another long line to give our information to have it delivered.
RouteMiami to Philadelphia

Review by (United States) 2nd August 2015

Every single one of my flights was either delayed or canceled. It took me over 10 hours past my flight time just to get out of Boston. I was promised another connecting flight since American made me miss my original flight because they didn't have a document giving them flight clearance (it took them over 2 hours just to get a piece of paper that said we could take off faxed over). I get in to Chicago and I'm told that I can't get on the connecting flight (over booked of course). They put me on a plane that leaves 14 hours later. I am refused a hotel voucher even though it was Americans's fault I missed my flight. I had to sleep in a cold airport terminal by myself and wasn't even offered a food voucher or given an apology.
RouteBWI to STL

Review by (United Kingdom) 1st August 2015

Our flight from MAN to JFK was cancelled due to engine issues which resulted in us having to rebook and we ended up flying via LHR. Our rebooked flight was with British Airways which was much better as they offered individual inflight entertainment systems unlike American who are still on an old system of overhead TVs. Our flight back from JFK was delayed and when we eventually got on board the aeroplane was quite possibly the oldest plane I have been on with a cabin crew to match. After 10 minutes the pilot informed us that a member of American Airlines staff had attempted to open the cabin door when it had already been locked which resulted in the life raft falling off the plane! We had to all disembark and after an hours wait we were told our flight was cancelled and we would need to rebook. We were put on flight the next day via Dublin which resulted us being over 24 hours late home. Appalling service and we will never travel with them again.
RouteManchester to JFK New York

Review by (United States) 31st July 2015

We flew from Boston, MA to St. Thomas U.S.V.I. on July 14th 2015. Flight #1619 from Boston to Miami was our first leg of the trip and that went smoothly. Then we got onto flight #2421 from Miami to St. Thomas. It was delayed a half hour. We landed in St. Thomas still being able to make our ferry to Tortola. However, it took 1 hour and 45 minutes for all of our luggage to be deplaned. During this time three other planes landed, all of their luggage was sorted out and the passengers from those planes left the terminal. We found one of our pieces of luggage was still in Miami. Our flight came in at 3.30pm, originally supposed to land at 2.57pm. It is well know that ferries stop running from Charlotte Amalie at 4.30pm. American should have done everything in its power to get people on their way. At least one third of the passengers were in the same situation as us. Four others lost baggage. My son spent the next morning trying to reconnect with his luggage and were told we would have to make a trip to the ferry terminal to pick it up. Now on to our flight home, July 25th 2015, we arrive at the airport three hours before our flight. The six of us were flying from St. Thomas to Philadelphia, PA on flight 837 leaving at 3.05pm. We arrived at the airport at 11.45am. We went to the kiosk and got our plane tickets and then joined the extremely long line (1.5 hours), at the ticket counter, just to get our luggage tags.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteBoston to St. Thomas via Miami

Review by (Brazil) 31st July 2015

Long detour to get from GRU to LAX but gave me the chance to experience their J flagship product both in the international (B777-300) and domestic (A321) products. The individual reverse herringbone seats on the 777 are second to none. Privacy and sleeping space are guaranteed. The entertainment is good enough and the flight crew professional and even friendly to some extent. The one downside was the food, which was not only below what one would expect for J and not very tasty either. In the transcon similar experience. The full lie flat in J is a nice touch, and even getting over the other passenger is not a problem at all. The only major difference was the crew, who were a bit more standoffish.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / A321
RouteGRU to LAX via GRU

Review by (France) 31st July 2015

Be well warned that if you cross the Atlantic with American Airlines, they are likely to put you on a small 3x3 plane with absolutely no entertainment system. I was charged $85 for a few pounds luggage overweight where practically any other airline crossing the Atlantic would have let me pass through with it.
RouteNew York to Paris

Review by (United States) 30th July 2015

Business class was excellent, plenty of food choices, generous servings and good food quality. Avoid the bulkhead seats in Business Class or the seats in the last row of Business Class. The variety of inflight movies is excellent as is the sound quality.
RouteDallas to Buenos Aires

Review by (Argentina) 29th July 2015

The old Boeing 777 had been retrofitted. They removed First Class and Business Class seats upgraded to fully flat seats over two sections of the aircraft with a nice bar in between. Cabin crew were nicer and even managed to smile (have not seen that in a long time). The food offered was better also: ie. for breakfast, a plate of fresh fruit with some granola and greek yogurt, warm scone, jam and butter.
RouteBuenos Aires to Tampa via Miami

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

My flight was scheduled to leave at 7.45 to Newark after it was delayed twice, we finally boarded close to 9pm. The staff did not give a reason as to why the flight was delayed and then told me that all other flights to Newark were booked up.
RouteORD to EWR