American Airlines

"They ruined a huge trip"

Trip Verified | Norfolk to Philadelphia. A couple weeks ago I was disallowed to fly with American Airlines. My father and I had booked a trip to Thailand 3 months in advance and waited in the airport for hours as they tried to figure out what was wrong. As time flew by and they were trying to figure out we were there three hours early to check in and missed our flight due to them telling us my Father had fraudulent activity in his card. I can’t even explained how embarrassing it was. He called his card he used to pay for the trip right in front of them and the lady told them “ He doesn’t even have a balance, it’s paid off. There is no fraudulent activity on this card. They bounced the ball off the wall a little more then switched from my Father to me saying I had fraudulent activity on my card. Funny thing is my dad payed for the trip not me. I’ve never flown or attempted to fly with American Airlines in my life. They then said that I could fly but I would have to pay in cash for a ticket to Thailand that day which was $6000. We booked our flight and rooms for about $1000 each. We were not refunded our money. I have tried to contact corporate office several times a day since the incident and still no response. .Before this I had heard a few negative things about American Airlines but not enough to deter me from flying with them. They ruined a huge trip and still haven’t given us a reason because I guarantee there isn’t one.
RouteNorfolk to Philadelphia
Date FlownNovember 2017

"good experience, affordable price"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Montevideo via Miami on Nov. 7, and return on Nov. 15-16. All flights were on time. Both flights between SFO and MIA (# 931 and 967) were on a new-looking A321 with great AVOD and with smiley cabin crews that were constantly around and eager to help. There were two rounds of drinks and a cookie on these 6-hour flights; the optional food for sale was tasty but expensive. The flights between MIA and MVD (# 989 and 984) were on an old-looking B763 with archaic video screens on the ceiling, small overhead bins, and a mostly friendly and efficient cabin crew, though 1 or 2 of them looked like they didn’t want to be there (on # 984 they didn’t even distribute headphones for the movie or audio service unless passengers requested them) and a male attendant consistently skipped passengers during drink rounds and never acknowledged a “thank you”. The other attendants tried to make up for these slackers. On these 9-hour flights, a small but edible dinner was served 1 hour after departure, followed by a minimal breakfast 1 hour before landing. I suggest bringing a small blanket (all flights were very cold) and a thin pillow (seat padding wasn’t great). Desk and gate agents were friendly and moved things along quickly. Overall, across the four legs of the trip, I had a good experience for a very affordable price, much better than I was expecting from reading many reviews here. I would recommend and fly AA again, trying to avoid their B763 planes. As a side note: I was expecting a more meaningful “preferred boarding” experience for having an AA-associated credit card. On the MIA-SFO flight, by the time I reached my row 9 seat, all overhead space was taken all the way through row 14, so I had to become the dreaded passenger who needs to move down the aisle against the flow of traffic during boarding and deplaning.
AircraftA321 / Boeing 763
RouteSan Francisco to Montevideo via Miami
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Where is the customer service?"

Trip Verified | Flew American Airlines from Miami to Charlotte. Flight was late 30 minutes because of flight crew mix up and now we have been waiting over an hour for our bags at baggage claim. Its now 1.20am, no announcements, just people asleep that don't care about the customers waiting. 3 other flights have come and gone. Where is the customer service?
RouteMiami to Charlotte
Date FlownNovember 2017

"moved my seat after booking"

Trip Verified | Flew Orlando to Washington, D.C. This my 4th flight in a row with American Airlines where they have moved my seat after booking. I specifically selected either window seats for all my flights. When you are 6ft 3 inches the other seats just don't work. I'm tired of paying for a specific seat and getting bumped to a middle seat every time. I will be sure to share my experiences with everyone I know. Thus based strictly on the customer service of the airline.
RouteOrlando to Washington, D.C.
Date FlownNovember 2017

"an hour playing musical chairs"

Not Verified | Worst flight crew I have ever experienced. It takes a little over an hour of flight time from Arizona to Las Vegas. However it took us over an hour playing musical chairs. For some reason American Airlines could not get it right with the seating chart. They was a mom and daughter who was given completely different airline passes. They boarded the plane and then realized they had the wrong boarding pass. Scary that can happen. None the less we sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half watching the flight crew switch people from seat to seat.
RoutePhoenix to Las Vegas
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I'm never flying on AA again"

Verified Review | Denver to Quito via Dallas/Ft. Worth. So we planned an awesome trip to the Galapagos and made the mistake of purchasing plane tickets to Quito Ecuador on American Airlines. I made the horrible mistake of screwing the time up and arriving at the Denver airport with only 45 minutes before the plane was scheduled to leave. When we got to the ticket counter the American Airlines (AA) ticket agent told us that they closed acceptance for luggage 5 minutes ago, so they don't let us on our flight because of 5 minutes! This is where we really got shafted because we asked them to find us another flight to get to Quito and they did, but they gouged us for an extra $2500, which was $1500 more than the original cost of the tickets, we were furious, but with all the other reservations and time taken off work what could we do but let them take advantage of us, so we paid. The ironic rub to that flying out experience was the return flight from Quito, which AA delayed over 3 hours and only gave the excuse that it was "legal" issues. When I complained to them in an email they admitted that they didn't plan well enough in this computer age for a flight that had been scheduled for months to be able to have pilots that were rested enough to make that flight according to the FAA, so they held the flight until the pilots were legally rested. So this corporate giant wouldn't hold our outgoing flight 5 minutes so they could load our luggage, but they didn't mind messing up every passengers connecting flights on our return flight because of their own lazy planning. I'm never flying on AA again and if you can avoid it you shouldn't either.
AircraftAirbus A319/320
RouteDenver to Quito via Dallas/Ft. Worth
Date FlownOctober 2017

"normally the service is great"

Verified Review | Denver to Norfolk. I used to love American Airlines. The planes are comfortable and normally the service is great. Plus, they take care of their Active Duty military, such as myself, but the last time that i flew, I had a lock on my bag get cut off, and had my PS4 pro, controller, and power cord get stolen. Ive flown my PS4 before many times with no problems. No one has ever cut the lock to get to the items.
RouteDenver to Norfolk
Date FlownNovember 2017

"found the flight most enjoyable"

Verified Review | Miami to Houston. I found the flight to be most enjoyable. Refreshments were available for purchase. No problems were encountered.with either the check in or the flight itself. Miami airport is a great airport to fly out of.
RouteMiami to Houston

American Airlines customer review

Verified Review | Miami to Raleigh Durham. At the boarding, the attendant determined my carry-on needed to be checked stating that my bag was big, to which I replied that I always use the same carry-on and it was extremely lightweight. Then she stated that there was not enough space in cabin, and she checked my carry-on. I entered the plane and to my surprise there were plenty of empty room across the plane and on top and front of my seat #28, more than two compartments empty near me! This situation is unpleasant, uncomfortable and shows lack respect for customers who as myself, prepare in advance for a faster way of moving between airports.
RouteMiami to Raleigh Durham
Date FlownMay 2017

"disappointed in first class"

Verified Review | Was very disappointed in first class service on an international route from Santa Ana to Rome via Dallas. First flight, SNA-DFW boarded aircraft and no one offered to hang my coat. Had to locate the closet and do it myself. Was seated 75m before offered a drink, and then 5m later before I'd even taken a sip my food was brought. I asked her to put it back into the oven until the happy hour was over. Flight from DFW - FCO also problematic. Had to ask two different staff how to put down the table. I had pre-ordered the duck and it was really awful, like what I'd imagine they'd serve in prison. Not a first class experience at all (I remember flying JFK - LHR on Pan Am and they carved meat for the meal right from the cart). An hour before the flight landed, I was asked to return my headphones so had no inflight entertainment last hour of flight. Why can they not do their housekeeping duties after all the passengers have left? They seem to have a checklist of duties to perform and they just want to rush through with no care for the inflight experience of the passengers. Quite a different attitude than from AF, KL, LH, OS, LX, or BA (even though BA is racing to the bottom to meet the service standards of Easy Jet and Ryan Air -- they charge £3 for a car of coca cola and there are no meals on board anymore). I returned on AA in Economy and had a better in-flight experience (the meal was good). Very disappointed and First Class costs $3,600 one-way I note.
Cabin FlownFirst Class