American Airlines

"air hostesses were arrogant"

Trip Verified | I flew American Airlines on business trips domestic and international numerous times but never with family on an intentional trip. Unfortunately I did travel this time and I swear not to do the same mistake again. I wanted to request a vegetarian meal for my family and I could not figure how to do it from the website that I visit almost every week. I end up calling customer service and they had to update the meal preference. However they miss updating one of the family members and guess what, 2 Asian vegetarian meals for 3 of us. I was traveling with an infant, so requested a bassinet almost 2 months in advance. Even called the customer service and I get a standard response that I need to request at the airport. I am a platinum pro traveler and I still could not block any bulkhead rows because I had a lap child in the reservation. I go to the airport 3.5 hours before the departure time and request bassinet. I was told that I need to contact the gate agent. I go ask the gate agent and she tells me that no bulk head seats are available as all of those seats were sold at a premium to other passengers. When I checked out those seats, there were no infants in them. This was a shocker. My next 2 legs were with Etihad and they had the bulk head rows assigned to us even before requesting them. The air hostesses were arrogant and would not like to entertain simple questions like “hey do have some fruits for the kids?” I specifically asked for the name to complain and she would not divulge her name. A simple yes or know would have sufficed but all I get is "Why are you bothering me" look. This kind of behavior deters families traveling with American and could cost in the long run. No point in whining about Middle East airlines capturing the international travel market. Not because of their price but because of their service. Companies that ignore customer service have perished. Better learn the lesson and improve. Business travelers travel alone (1 ticket) but families (3-4 tickets on average). Wake up before it is too late.
RouteCharlotte to London
Date FlownJuly 2018

"one of the worst airlines"

Trip Verified | Ft Walton to Dallas Ft Worth. American Airlines is by far one of the worst airlines I have flown with. I have been traveling a lot for work lately and have been on over 4 flights in the past week with them. Each flight has been delayed, their employees do nothing to inform their guest of the delay or what is going on. American Airlines used to be very organized and customer friendly, however, after my past few experience I will never book a flight through them again.
RouteFt Walton to Dallas Ft Worth
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Customer service is non-existent"

Trip Verified | I can understand a delay due to the weather but the unprofessionalism and rude attitude from the representatives at DFW airport was not necessary. The customer service in Vancouver was not much better and when my girlfriend’s baggage failed to arrive not much was done to assure it would arrive in one of the next two flights the same day and left us staying at the hotel since my girlfriend didn’t have any clothes. Too much failure on American Airlines end when it comes to customer service and inspiring information for delayed baggage. Overall this is the 2nd terrible experience with this airline. Inflight food beverage quality is down. Customer service is non-existent. Poor baggage handling. I can safely say that my family, my girlfriend and of course myself will never fly American Airlines again.
RouteFort Lauderdale to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2018

"customer service was non-existent"

Trip Verified | Honolulu to Phoenix. Trying to return home after honeymoon plane was delayed on runway for 3 hours and then finally at 1.30am deboarded plane just to wait another 2-3 hours for hotel voucher which serves no purpose since our flight which we had to change ourselves to Delta was leaving at 11am. My wife and I have been up for over 24 hours and still have another 25 before returning home. The only kind person was the morning ticketing agent who at least gave us a food voucher. Customer service was non-existent and my family and myself will never fly American Airlines again! Thank you for making my honeymoon unforgettable!
RouteHonolulu to Phoenix
Date FlownJuly 2018

"my flight is always delayed"

Trip Verified | Charlotte to Dallas. Worst airline! I fly weekly for work and I have to unfortunately use American Airlines because of my projects budget. Every time I Fly with American, my flight is always delayed! How inconvenient and annoying can this airline be? Then when you call for customer service they are so rude and inconsiderate! I’ve had flights that were connecting and I’ve had to run for my life to catch it because my flight was delayed for 2 hours. This airline always makes it a point to disappoint me. The best airline thus far is Southwest and Delta.
RouteCharlotte to Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"disappointed with American Airlines"

Trip Verified | I am really disappointed with American Airlines. I got one cancellation and two delays for my flights. It was not delayed because of the weather problems, but because of maintenance problems. Moreover, my flight was supposed to be at 10.30 am and they just arbitrarily changed our flight to 10.00 pm without explanation. I wanted to get a refund and change my flight to another airline because I have an important schedule. However, they just say they are not sure whether I can get a refund or not. I will never use this airline again.
RouteNew York to Dallas
Date FlownJuly 2018

"not respecting the time of people"

Trip Verified | This flight from Dallas to Philadelphia is notorious for its delay and not respecting the time of people. I think they are understaffed and have arguments and change it in time with different arguments. The most annoying thing is their announcement of delays. They keep changing the time every hour with different arguments. It shows clearly their inability to say the truth. I flew with them five times and four times I had delays of over 4 to 5 hours. They disrespect the time of people because they have no competition in some major cities. I would never recommend American Airlines. I would never book them anymore, I would rather book a connecting flight to avoid them.
RouteDallas to Philadelphia

"downgrade in aircraft"

Not Verified | Tampa to Maui via Phoenix. Over the past three years I’ve noticed a massive downgrade in American airline aircraft. As a result of me working in Maui my days of travel always involve long flights. Since of lately American Airlines has repeatedly shown poor customer service as well outdated aircrafts taking away from the customer experience. This is my sixth flight in a row either coming into or departing from Maui that my 7+ hour flight lacks charging stations or entertaining screens. Due it’s lack of amenities, customer care and high prices, has caused me to reconsider my loyalty to this airline. For such expensive and long flights to Hawaii you would think that American would offer its newest aircrafts not oldest.
RouteTampa to Maui via Phoenix
Date FlownJuly 2018

"one of many awful experiences"

Not Verified | Amarillo to Destin. Seriously the worst airline ever. This is one of many awful experiences with them and it keeps getting worse. After making me more that 6 hours late (which i can understand for weather), they fail to get my luggage on the airplane. Between all of the delays they had plenty of time to switch my luggage so I do not understand why my stuff is missing. Minus a select few, most of the service is terrible.
RouteAmarillo to Destin

"They didn't care"

Trip Verified | Port au Prince to San Francisco via Miami. Due to civil unrest in Haiti we cannot enter the country from Santo Domingo without purchasing a $500 ticket to the states. American Airlines wants us to enter Haiti during the chaos to catch our flight back home anyway or charge us $200 each to change our origin city. We've explained several times we can't even get there. No buses nor planes are leaving Santo Domingo straight to Haiti. They didn't care. Even in such a dangerous situation they want to earn as much as they can. Forfeit our safety I guess. It seems extremely cold hearted seeing they've raised the travel warning to level 4 just 2 days ago.
RoutePort au Prince to San Francisco via Miami