American Airlines

Review by (United Kingdom)

I recently flew with my husband and 10 year old daughter and was absolutely appalled with every part of American Airlines, from the staff to the aircraft itself. The customer service was just non existent, the staff were rude and abrupt. The cabin crew were scruffy and had appalling manners. As for the plane itself well where do I start, a 7 hour flight to New York, no TVs , no radio, no inflight entertainment whatsoever. We were given an extremely thin blanket a pillow so small a 2 year old would have struggled to use it. The food was horrendous. When I complained I was told I should have brought my own if I didn't like it. We were offered 2 drinks throughout the whole flight.
RouteManchester to JFK New York
Date Flown28-08-2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

My experience travelling from Quito in Ecuador (UIO) to EWR via MIA with American was truly a very poor experience. Firstly I had a problem with my initial flight to UIO on a different airline but same alliance (One World) on an unlinked itinerary - zero assistance from American - I would be still be in Ecuador only for the help from LAN Ecuador. Rude, unhelpful and petty rule driven check in employees at AA in Quito Airport causing long lines at check in. Old B767 - my standard overhead carry on bag would not fit in the bins. In Flight Entertainment was limited to an old overhead screen about 20" Poor food offering - meal service took over an hour to be cleared and there was no further beverage service through the flight. Had to ask for Blanket and Pillow. Cabin Crew who went through the motions but were not engaged with passengers. Glad to get off the AA plane and hope that I never have to fly American Airlines again.
RouteUIO to EWR via MIA
Date Flown27-08-2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

I really enjoyed this airline. It was I'd say the cabin crew was 95.9% polite and I enjoyed the food. Since I was in economy, you'd normally think the legroom would have no leg-room. I thought there was plenty of space since I am of an average height. The toilets were great and the 9 hour flight was worth it. I would say they could've come round a bit more often, but other than that everything was great. I will be definitely taking this airline again.
RouteLHR to MIA
Date Flown26-05-2015

Review by (United States)

Scheduled flight to leave on Sunday August 16, 2015 from Sea/Tac at 1:31pm. The plane that we were going to use pulled up to pick us up. Then some "newly hired flight attendant" activates the slide - see the photo. Evidently once the slide has been deployed out the side of the plane, you can't just poke it back in and fly away. Also, who would have guessed that there isn't a backup plane available. So now we have to wait until 8pm for another plane to fly from Dallas to pick us up. Does it take 6 hours to fly from Dallas to Seattle? I think not. We are notified that we will miss all our connecting flights. The next seats available to Des Moines aren't until Tuesday or Wednesday. Well that isn't going too well with our employers, so we negotiate through a supervisor with "finance" to get reimbursement should we fly to another city and take ground transport home. BTW, we were offered snacks for sale and a movie headphone for sale while we were on our flight with 200 passengers that also sat at the airport all day waiting for this flight. Absolutely rude. Okay so we were up all night flying and arrived in nearby city at 9:30am on Monday so we could drive home 2 more hours. We were sleep deprived but finally home around noon on Monday. Sent email asking for refund for airline tickets and ground transport. We are being offered a voucher for airline tickets with American and nothing for ground transport. They say because we took a flight to another destination that they don't pay for ground transport.
RouteSEA to DSM via DFW
Date Flown26-08-2015

Review by (Sweden)

The new American Airlines business class on the Boeing 777 is very good with two exceptions. First, catering needs a serious upgrade. The food was barely edible, and I must admit although I like ice cream for dessert, my expectations are a bit higher when travelling business class on a long-haul flight. The so called "Champagne" is Prosecco, which is a fine Italian product, but not Champagne by a long shot. I would suggest that American Airlines should either offer the real thing, or call it Prosecco. My second exception has to do with the comfort of the seat. It is great for sleeping, but for day-time travel it is not very comfortable.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLHR to LAX
Date Flown26-08-2015

Review by (United States)

This is an impressive and smooth aircraft and I had waited months to my first AA787 experience. For that reason I flew from NY to Buenos Aires via DFW. I've flown other 787s and this aircraft's first impression is created by the incredible effect of its smart lighting and design. Boarding AA's 787 from DFW to EZE was nothing like it. The cabin was quite dark and it felt very cold and claustrophobic. Overall the crew showed a lack of knowledge of the product and did not know how to help passengers enjoy the excellent experience flying a 787 is in itself. AA's 787 has, in my opinion, very decent and comfortable seats (I slept over 7 hours) and great personal space. But entertainment did not work for a portion of the flight and crew members did not seem to know how to fix it. Service was very slow and very impersonal and it seemed as if it was short of 1 or even 2 crew members. There was nothing memorable about the food, but who flies AA for its culinary virtues? So it was ok. Although I did not pre-order my breakfast before falling sleep, I was fully awake when that service started, yet they skipped me, and I was informed that because I did not tell them a few hours prior that I wanted to eat in the morning, they might not have much left for me (at the end I was served the full meal). I loved being on this aircraft and will look forward to my next flight in it. Too bad AA is missing the opportunity of incorporating decent service to an amazing aircraft in order to deliver the wow factor of other carriers' 787 operation. Beautiful brand new plane and very smooth ride with the poor service of and old 767-200.
RouteDFW to EZE
Date Flown25-08-2015

Review by (United States)

This summer my family and I took a vacation to see Europe. We chose an overnight flight so that our children could sleep and the first row so that we could have more room and be comfortable. Needless to say my girls fell asleep and my two year old laid down under our feet on the floor and fell asleep. The seat belt sign was on pretty much the whole flight with no turbulence. My two year old, as mentioned before, was completely out of the way so passing people and airline staff had a clear path way but I was continually harassed instead of helped by staff telling me that policy states she can not be on the floor with the seat belt sign on. Thus, I had to wake up a peacefully sleeping child who then cried and disturbed others. If I could have come up with a better solution I would have but the hand rests on these new planes do not move up in the front row due to there being TV's in them and the seats only go back so far. On the flight back the movie was acting up and instead of going to check to see if it could be fixed they just said that nothing could be done about the bad quality of the movie. This is not the first time I have had such an experience with American Airlines. Their customer service is terrible and they should be ashamed of treating customers that way and have a little more compassion for traveling parents with children.
RouteDallas to London

Review by (United Kingdom)

This knocks spots off British Airways (same alliance). The business suites are much more private than Club World. The crew were friendly and the cabin was the right temperature. I was very impressed. There was virtually nothing I disliked about this flight and I will fly with them again.
RouteLHR to LAX
Date Flown25-08-2015

Review by (United States)

Very decent flight with excellent, personalized service. For an avid critic of AA most of my life, it is time to say that I truly believe this airline is changing for the good. There is still garbage on my seat pocket, lunch was almost not edible and WiFi remains far from great, but the human component of the service is genuíne and professional.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLGA to DFW

Review by (Belgium)

Flew from SJO-DFW-AMS and got bit afraid to fly American due to all those bad reviews but didn't had any of all those. For starters their new triple 7 is a nice plane, even I flew in economy. For starters plenty of leg room, even for economy for a long haul flight. Entertainment system was ok, didn't had many movies that were my style but then again the fact that you could swipe over the screen to change between movies, games etc, was great. Food was poor, especialy the breakfast on the flight from SJO to DFW. Also switching between airplanes in DFW was awful but nothing American could do about. For the price I paid I got what I got expected nothing more, nothing less.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER