Top 100 Airports

Allegiant Air

"that'll be the last time"

McGhee Tyson to Las Vegas. Purchased 2 roundtrip tix back in January 2016 as Allegiant announced new nonstop service from our little airport. Made all our necessary reservations for our vacation including hotels in Las Vegas, Zion Lodge, LaJolla CA and our last night at LAS airport before our flight home. At 2:00 am on the day of our scheduled departure I received a TXT from Allegiant that our flight for that day as well as our return flight a week later had been cancelled. Checked the website sure enough flight says cancelled. No other information, just cancelled. And they only fly on Mondays and Fridays from TYS to LAS so it's not like we have any alternatives. So immediately I begin to think about all of the other reservations I needed to cancel before I get charged for not showing up. 1st night hotel is prepaid non-refundable: $200 lost, next 2 nights at Zion Lodge already past the cancellation deadline by 1 day - $500 lost, La Jolla I lose the first night deposit $300 lost, luckily can cancel by last night at airport. Also cancelled my rental car. So for a cheap flight I lost approximately $1000 in other charges. So much for that exciting "non-stop" announcement from TYS-LAS. I would never recommend this airline to anyone because of this. Allegiant - you suckered me once, but that'll be the last time!
RouteTYS to LAS

"10 flights, 10 delays"

Verified Review | I have flown Allegiant about 10 times. Each time, the plane has a "maintenance issue" and we have been stuck in the plane for several hours while waiting for them to repair or wait for paperwork to document repairs. My last flight from Greensboro to St. Petersburg, we were in the plane for about 5 hours before we were able to take off. They did not allow us to use the restroom or move about the cabin. On my flight home from the same trip, I experienced the exact same thing. Unbelievable. Will never fly Allegiant Air again. 10 flights, 10 delays. Spend the extra money on a real airline. Not worth the savings.
RoutePIE to GSO
Date FlownJuly 2016

"spend that extra money on a good airline"

Horrible first time experience. Our flight from Las Vegas to Sioux Falls, SD was first delayed Sunday, July 24. We were told that we were waiting on the captain. Then they didn't know where he was. After sitting on the plane for 45 min, we all had to exit because the internal temperature of the plane had risen too much and was not safe, supposedly due to all of the bodies on board. Once off the plane, there were rumors it could take 2 hours or more, or possibly not even until the morning, before we were able to leave. Then it was announced it would take 20 minutes to half hour and it should be cooled off enough for us to safely board. After an hour, we were told we could board again. Once we were on and all seated, they told us 1) Some people didn't come back on, so they had to reevaluate for weight, and 2) There wasn't enough fuel to get us to South Dakota, so we had to go to Mesa, Arizona to fuel up. Once in the air, a loud, piercing shrill started up. Damage your ears loud and high pitched. The entire hour to Mesa, AZ. They announced over the loudspeaker that they knew about the noise and would be looking into it once we landed. Once we started descending, the noise stopped. When we landed, they started handing out small cups of complimentary ice water. We asked if we needed to worry about the internal temperature rising again while we waited, since that was the problem in Vegas. We were told by a stewardess that we "weren't being held hostage, that we could get off at any time, but they couldn't make any promises that we would be able to get back on." After a little while, we noticed people taking our baggage off the plane and tossing it onto carts. Turns out we were going to be boarding a different plane anyway, they needed to take ours for a test run to find out the cause of the problem. When we got into the small airport at Mesa, AZ, their little shop with snacks wasn't open. We just assumed it was so they could charge us $3 for M&M's or $5 for a Snack Pack on the flight. Moral of the story, folks, if you want to feel just a little safer while flying and have flight attendants that aren't so rude, don't fly Allegiant. Save up, spend that extra money on a good airline. The seats don't recline, there isn't much leg room, and you pay extra for everything.
RouteLAS to FSD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"no issues on either flight"

We flew from Kansas City to St. Petersburg, FL and then back. We had absolutely no issues on either flight. Both flights were on time. I was impressed with the comfortable seating (better than Southwest in my opinion). I was very skeptical to book this airline after reading all of the negative reviews of delays and cancellations so I wanted to add a very positive review. One thing I can tell you is that I have a friend that did experience a delay from Kansas City to FL but she was given vouchers for a hotel stay and food. So maybe they are improving in that regard (not sure). I will surely fly again. Unbeatable price, great seating, great staff, great pilot, great trip! They also had great options for snacks in my opinion. Yes, they do cost extra. However, I did see others bringing their own snacks aboard.
AircraftMD-80
RouteMCI to PIE
Date FlownJuly 2016

"will never fly Allegiant again"

Los Angeles to Tulsa. The flight was cancelled and rescheduled 24 hours later. The airline sent a text at around 1ish am for a 9 something morning flight. I called the airline and was on hold for 40 minutes before I talked to an agent. I was told the flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues. The agent was polite and explained that since they are an independent airline, they cannot put me on another airline so I could get to my final destination (which is what typically happens when a flight is cancelled with other airlines). I tried to make the best of the situation and accepted I was staying in LA one more day. Luckily, I was staying with family, so I didn't spend extra $$ on transportation and lodging. The following day, we boarded the rescheduled flight and ended up getting delayed for almost 2 hours, while we were inside the plane! They had 24 hours to fix the mechanical issues and yet continued to be bombarded with more! The poor flight attendant ended up having to do her "fasten seatbelt" shpiel at least 3 times before the plane was fixed and the door was closed. At one point, one Allegiant employee made a joke about "inflight entertainment" which no one appreciated! They kept telling us we were taking off in just a few minutes - meanwhile, almost 2 hours later, we hadn't left nor the doors closed!! They gave us vouchers each for the cancelled flight but I will never fly Allegiant again. I thought I was saving money and yet, it cost me one day's worth of lost wages. Should have flown with another airline.
RouteLAX to TUL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"I would not recommend Allegiant Air"

We spent our 16 wedding anniversary in Las Vegas airport. Being the responsible adults that we are, we arrived 2 hours early for our 2:15 flight from Vegas to Tulsa. Our flight was delayed at least 4 times (I lost count). We were told that the delays were due to a non-functioning external a/c unit that was supposed to keep the plane cool in-between flights. They told us that it ran for at least an hour before anyone noticed the problem. The plane was sitting in Vegas sunlight in 114 degree weather without a/c. In addition to the delays, we experienced 1 aborted take off (plane had physically left the ground, but pilot had to abort and take us back due to an air speed sensor malfunction) after having set on the tarmac for 1.5 hours without a/c. A second boarding during which we set on the tarmac for 2 hours without a/c. While we were sitting in a sweltering plane some of the passengers voiced their frustration. The pilot then got on the speaker and threatened all passengers with an air marshal if we did not keep our opinions to ourselves. This was after he told us all via the speaker that this was "just one of those nights." We started down the runway this time and never even got to attempt take off due to one of the blinds reportedly coming off a window. We were deplaned a 2nd time and told that our flight was cancelled. The staff waiting at the gate informed us at that point that we passengers should begin looking for our own hotel accommodations. They would not assist us in any fashion. Allegiant Air would reimburse us up to $300 for the hotel, and will reportedly reimburse us for transportation to/from the airport. They estimated that we would get out reimbursement in 5-7 days. Keep in mind that this is Vegas, on a weekend and it was now after 11 p.m. We couldn't find a room under $300, so we are now losing $$ through no fault of our own. I also had to cancel our reservation in Tulsa, which was now outside of the "no penalty/no charge" window. I spent a lot of time pleading my case not to be charged for a room that we would now be unable to use. For our troubles, we were given $8 meal vouchers and a $100 credit towards future Allegiant Air flights?! $8 doesn't buy a meal at Vegas airport. And we will not be flying with that airline again - that credit is useless. We understand that things happen, but the nonchalant and at times downright rude attitude of their staff just put an even more bitter taste in my mouth. Long story short, I would not recommend Allegiant Air to anyone.
AircraftMD80
RouteLAS to TUL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight was completely cancelled"

We were to depart from Tulsa to LAX at 7:20pm, per recommendaion by Allegiant Air, we were there at 5pm. As soon as we reached the terminal, we were informed of an hour delay. No big deal, we could wait. Apparently there was "aircraft maintenance" and some planes had to be switched around. Of course, as someone who travels frequently, this is understandable. What's not understandable is how we went through 3 delays, until they finally told us a final departure time at 1:45am. The airline brought in pizza and refreshments, just to settle us down. Then, at midnight, an announcement was made by a very snarky associate who informed us that the flight was completely cancelled. This made us lose 300$ car rental and hotel reservations. So, since the pilots were "timed out" they told us to get a hotel if we were more than 15 miles away, because they did not have a certain time for us to come back the next day and said they "would email us". We were sprawled around the airport at this time, some of us sleeping, and we came to the counter to ask questions. We still don't know when our flight will happen. We would normally cancel, but this trip is necessary to see family.
RouteTUL to LAX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"worthless when always is delayed"

Verified Review | Indianapolis to Fort Lauderdale with Allegiant Air and I'm stuck at IND. I'm a frequent weekend traveler from Lousville to Fort Lauderdale on Delta or American, I was trying to save around $150 flying Allegiant, but it ended up worthless since this airline always is delayed, going back to major airlines.
RouteIND to FLL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"nickel and diming the not so savvy traveler"

Verified Review | Springfield to Las Vegas with Allegiant Air. Departing flight 45 mins late. Departing plane had only one functioning lavatory. Loudest cabins in the airline industry. Return flight delayed 3 hrs and counting due to the plane allegedly having no functioning lavatory. According to the terminal attendant, "We won't be taking the original plane. They just haven't found another plane yet." Nickel and diming the not so savvy traveler with bag fees for every situation imaginable. I'm glad my wife and me educated ourselves about Allegiant's policies beforehand. Don't be a victim. Handful of Wheat Thins - there's a charge for that. If you're going cheap, go Southwest if possible. Work a few more hours to make up the $100-200 cost difference - it's still far and away the better affordable airline.
AircraftMD80
RouteSGF to LAS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"disappointed nearly every time"

Des Moines to Las Vegas. Allegiant Air has cancelled the past 3 consecutive flights. We fly frequently between Las Vegas and Iowa, and are disappointed nearly every time we fly Allegiant. In fact, we are surprised when things actually go smoothly and on-time. We continued to choose them because of their direct flights to smaller Iowa locations, hoping that the service would improve. But when we have to book hotels or postpone plans because of cancelled and delayed flights, that benefit no longer outweighs the negatives. If this had only happened once or twice, I wouldn't bother reviewing this. But between our family and my extended family in Iowa, this is 7 delays or cancelled flights within 2 years and that's beyond acceptable.
RouteDSM to LAS