Allegiant Air

"flight experience was awesome"

Not Verified | Los Angeles to Eugene. This was my first time flying Allegiant, using them for the cheapest fare for a trip to Oregon from Sept 7-10 for our family of 4. I didn't think to look at reviews until the day before our departure and I was horrified by what I read. But I prayed hard and remained hopeful and our flight experience was awesome! On time departures on both ends. On time arrival on the front end and early arrival on the back end. First plane must have been new-so clean that it sparkled, no dust or grime or scratches or anything! The plane on our return wasn't as immaculate but I would still consider it clean. Flight attendants friendly and I appreciated their diversity in age, look, size, etc. I chose to save money by not selecting seats in advance because I knew that our kids wouldn't be seated alone. It worked out great that my husband was seated near the kids and I got a break by sitting across the aisle or, even better, two rows behind on the flight back! I thought the seats were the most comfortable I've ever experienced, and I've been flying for almost 50 years, both domestic and internationally. I must admit that I'm 5'2", not overweight, and prefer firm straight-back chairs which probably doesn't characterize most folks, but I loved the seating. There was enough wiggle room in the seat and in front for legs/feet. The guy next to me stretched his arms behind his head and there was enough room that I didn't get elbowed in the temple. The center aisle felt really spacious to me which is funny because I know it's not that wide but there was enough room to walk with bags and not bang into armrests or passengers knees. Customer service before the flight was totally lacking. Tried calling in July and no one ever answered. Emailed instead on July 20 and got a reply 3 weeks later on Aug 8 which said my concern about rental car timing was handled, only to find out the day before our trip that it wasn't fixed. Luckily, someone answered the customer service phone that day I called after 40min of wait time, and I got great service for that issue. Overall, I was pleased flying Allegiant and would use them again.
RouteLos Angeles to Eugene
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"forced to buy the seats"

Not Verified | Phoenix to Great falls. I fly Allegiant air quite frequently and am always disgusted by their flight attendants and staff. However, today I am beyond over them. I brought my liquids in the exact amount that is allowed on the plane from Phoenix to Montana there were absolutely no issues with the liquids. However today on the way back it is now against their policy. So I had to throw away over a $100 worth of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and other things you need on vacation. This is not my only issue they are always rude, absolutely nothing is free and everything is over priced. They talk to everyone like they are children and refuse to allow anyone switch seats because and I quote "the plane has been weight calculated based on everyone sitting in their assigned seat." I had to pay an extra $47 today in order for the three of us to sit next to each other! We bought our tickets together and we are traveling with my son. There is no reason that we should have to pay extra in order for us to sit next to each other! Good luck trying to switch seats. So you are forced to buy the seats. Cheap is proving to not be worth the constant headache.
RoutePhoenix to Great falls

"delayed for 6 hours"

Not Verified | Louisville to Savannah. Worst for customer service. Flight delayed for 6 hours. Did not offer to feed anyone with the long layover. Was told if we removed our luggage we would lose our ticket and money for the flights. After asking to deplane and then plane was ready to go it was then used to fly other passengers to Fort Lauderdale. As of 8.30 PM we still have not heard whether we get to travel or not. We lost money on our hotel rental car that we had to pay for and not even in the city to get to use.
RouteLouisville to Savannah
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"no longer a viable option"

Not Verified | Tri Cities to Orlando Sanford. On the last 5 times myself or a family member has flown Allegiant, the flight has been delayed at least 2 hours for mechanical problems. I believe the convenience of flying out of tri cities is no longer a viable option and my family and friends will be going to Charlotte to my make our trips to Florida.
RouteTri Cities to Orlando Sanford

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Departing Flight from Cincinnati to St. Pete–Clearwater departed 25 mins before departure time. Returning flight was cancelled due to early departure from the departing flight. That was my first and last encounter with Allegiant. Poor customer service via the phone.
RouteCincinnati to St. Pete–Clearwater

"worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Grand Rapids to Las Vegas. The worst experience ever. Our flight was over an hour delayed and there was no information available giving notice. The employee at the gate told everyone to follow her, then when we did she made us all turn around and told us we were going go all go to jail for trying to board the plane without getting our boarding pass scanned. I paid extra for priority boarding and extra leg room but if you are in an exit row, you are not allowed to board priority. Which we didn't know until we were trying to get on the plane. The plane itself was in need of updating and repairs. The carpet with coming up and the seats were stained. I called to talk to someone about the priority boarding situation and was told "A supervisor is available to listen to your concern but cannot do anything about it so you will have to email the company." After waiting on hold for 14 minutes. Worst. Experience. Ever. Oh! And we booked transportation from the airport to the hotel through allegiant which uses Bell's transportation and the bus broke down in the middle of the road and because we didn't book directly through bells, they will not refund our transportation fee.
RouteGrand Rapids to Las Vegas

"works great"

Trip Verified | Denver to Cincinnati with Allegiant Air. Seemed fine, left on time, you can take a backpack "for free." Expect to pay $2 for a soda or what not on the plane if desired (though you can actually bring food from home or from the airport [except drinks, only from the airport] through security and onto the plane). Only bummer is having to pay extra to pick seats. But you might be able to work around it by paying for the seats "at checkin time" (i.e. online) so you only have to pay for reserved seating of 3/4 of them or what not, if all you care about is sitting together. So, basically if you have a flexible departure time frame and don't check bags, and don't need inflight entertainment, works great! They even let us have our 1.5 year old sit on "mom's lap" no problems.
RouteDenver to Cincinnati
Date FlownJuly 2018

"seats are the narrowest"

Trip Verified | Nashville to St. Petersburg. This was my first (and last) experience with Allegiant. The fare price was great but other than that there was not much good. When I arrived at the airport about 90 before the flight I received a text that my 12:44 pm flight was going to be delayed to 2:55 pm. Not a big deal but when I checked the board in the airport it still showed everything on time. I also got an email at this time with a $50 travel voucher from the airline. So I called home to let my wife know and told her to watch the flight so she could pick me up at the airport. At 1:41pm I got another text pushing the flight to 5:34 pm. Again, no update on the airport boards and apparently not on the internet either as my wife called when she was at the airport to pick me up and I answered the phone, still in Nashville! At around 4 pm someone with some customer service savvy brought pizza to the gate for everyone waiting. While all of this was going on the info board at the gate was out of service and there were no announcements from the gate agents who were sitting around in the wheel chairs at the gate. Finally, at around 5 pm we boarded the flight. Once loaded, the flight attendants and gate agents came through the plane at least 7 times by could not agree on a passenger count. I know this was the issue because I was sitting near the front and could hear everyone trying to blame each other for the issue. We sat on the plane until a little after 7 pm at the gate waiting for fuel and a good head count. We arrived in St. Pete at 9:36pm 9 hours late when I received a final text saying the flight was going to be delayed until 7 pm. At no time was an announcement made on board letting the passengers know what time we would be landing so we could notify people at the destination. The gate agents were nice but not communicative enough. When asked what the delay was I was told that a "Rescue" plane was being sent. That was alarming considering Allegiant's maintenance history. The plane was nice and I am sure that they have the widest aisles in the industry because I am also sure that the seats are the narrowest. I paid extra for more leg room but if the seat I got had more leg room I could not find it. Overall a horrible experience. I have well over 1,000,000 miles in the air and this was the worst!
RouteNashville to St. Petersburg
Date FlownAugust 2018

"they don't have enough agents"

Trip Verified | Concord to Punta Gorda. I purchased a flight and added Flex Trip to my purchase. I went online to make a change to my departure flight from August 24th to Sept 7th. The amount to change my flight showed $0. When I went to add my seat assignment it stated that I owed $11. I already paid the same amount for my original seat assignment so I called their customer service team. I waited on hold for 50 min. The rep told me that the seat prices change daily. All I wanted was to sit in the same row and asked why I had to pay for my seat again. She told me that I was not paying for the seat I was paying for a change in my flight. She quoted that I would have to pay and extra $4. However, my flight change states that I have a zero charge, not to mention that I have Flex Trip and nowhere in their policy does it state that I have to pay again for my seat. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she refused. Stating a supervisor cannot help me. In summary, they don't have enough agents to answer the phones, they remind you of how you can go to their online portal to make changes yet the price they quote on the portal is higher than the price given by the agent, they do not honor their policy when purchasing flex trip and they refuse to provide you with a supervisor.
RouteConcord to Punta Gorda
Date FlownAugust 2018

"Customer service is horrible"

Trip Verified | Knoxville to Orlando. Customer service is horrible. Waited for four hours for ticket counter to open. Was told I could not check my bag because my flight was more than two hours from departing. However, the ticket agent was checking in another flight that was more than two hours from departing.
RouteKnoxville to Orlando