Alitalia

"very frustrating and stressful"

Review by (Canada)

Economy flight with Alitalia is very frustrating and stressful. Departure Gate changed Last minute, no announcement or signs to advise. Seats onboard unclean and storage pouch hanging partly torn away, hanging on my leg. The cabin staff were pleasant enough. They lost my luggage, despite an immediate report at Baggage Claims, the process was very poor for recovery. So 3 days later no luggage yet, and no answer at Customer Service.
RouteRome to Prague
Date FlownAugust 2015

"the best I've experienced"

Review by (Brazil)

Alitalia Classe Magnifica is the best I've experienced. The crew on all four flights (Rio de Janeiro to Brussels via Rome, return) were very welcoming and enthusiastic. It was a delight to try all the top class Italian wines and food, and the crew were pleased to explain history and location of the cuisine and wine. Seat full lie-flat is better than business class on other European airlines I've travelled.
RouteRio de Janeiro to Brussels via FCO

Review by (Italy)

Milan Linate to Barcelona return. Outbound flight in economy, return in business. I booked only 2 weeks in advance and ticket was at par with most low-costs. Economy was clean, adequate service for a 1 hour flight. Business class was better than other airlines that I have flown on European routes. Very attentive service, excellent food, selection of beverages could be better but for a 1 hour flight I shouldn't complain.
RouteMilan to Barcelona

Review by (Italy)

Fiumicino: At the check-in desks, there was such a mess and disorganisation that most passengers were going to miss their flight. I was one of them. Arriving almost 2 hours in advance, I wait my turn in one single line for all the flights (no prioritisation). Once it was finally my turn they tell me that the flight is overbooked. I paid for my seat (chosen with additional fee) more than 800 euro and they tell me it is overbooked. After more than the time needed, they finally check me in and they tell me to speed up and go to the gate. I run like crazy until I arrive at my seat. Inflight Experience: I discover that my entertainment system was broken. Now imagine a 12 hour non-stop flight without an entertainment system. I asked more than one hostess to assist me and change my seat but they continuously told me that the flight was overbooked. They didn't apologise. I could not even light up my light (since it was connected to the system). Thankfully I had my kindle with me and was able to read for 8 hours. Once again, the bad service did not stop at Fiumicino and in-air. LAX: Upon arrival, my baggage was not there. I waited 3 days to get my luggage. I will never fly again with Alitalia.
RouteRome Fiumicino to Los Angeles LAX

Review by (Japan)

Very disappointing. Seats were uncomfortable, with a headrest that pushes your head forward. Seats and tray tables were not clean. On this hot summer day, they 'ran out of beer' during the first drink service at the beginning of a 13+ hour flight. No whiskey or spirits, choices of alcohol were red or white wine only. Cabin crew were particularly surly, right from the start. Flew Jetstar Tokyo to Cairns two weeks after this flight, and this LCC was infinitely better, in every department, than Alitalia.
RouteTokyo to Rome
Date FlownJuly 2015

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United States)

Alitalia may change your departure time after you buy your ticket. Alitalia did this to my wife who is traveling alone with our nine-month-old daughter. Because Alitalia changed her departure time she will now miss her Alitalia connection in Rome on Tuesday. The airline put her on a flight to New York. We live in Chicago, and she’s traveling alone with our baby girl! The additional layover will add another flight and four hours to her trip from Europe. It’s a terrible deal for us but a great deal for Alitalia. We never would have bought the ticket with an additional layover, but now Alitalia has duped us into paying a one-stop premium for a two-stop itinerary. I tried to contact Alitalia Customer Relations but they will not respond.
RouteRome to Chicago

Review by (Italy)

Milan to Rome, crew friendly and attentive. Return flight delayed by 20 minutes, crew nice, offered a snack both ways and drink. A good experience and very low price.
RouteMilan to Rome

Review by (Romania)

Alitalia has improved its service. Very attentive crew, even if the food was not consistent. Only snacks and beverages. In economy, the seats are average. No inflight entertainment but since the flights lasted less than 2 hours so it was no problem. They treat frequent fliers very good and I definitely reccomend it.
AircraftA320 and A319
RouteParis Orly to Bucharest via Milan Linate
Date FlownJune 2015

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

The staff are so rude and do not like to take responsibility for anything. We were told at London check in that our suitcases would go straight on to Tirana. Only to find out after a layover in Rome that out suitcases were not on the plane - they were left in Rome. Constant phone calls and trips to Tirana airport to find what was going on, and still left in the dark about it. Staff said there is nothing they can do - it will turn up when it turns up.
RouteLondon to Tirana via Rome

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Alitalia to Cagliari via Rome from London. Food and drink was basic with the choice of water juice or coke with a snack. However considering it was cheaper than easyjet, I would recommend Alitalia due to free checked baggage and air miles.
RouteLondon to Cagliari via Rome