Alitalia

Review by (Italy)

Fiumicino: At the check-in desks, there was such a mess and disorganisation that most passengers were going to miss their flight. I was one of them. Arriving almost 2 hours in advance, I wait my turn in one single line for all the flights (no prioritisation). Once it was finally my turn they tell me that the flight is overbooked. I paid for my seat (chosen with additional fee) more than 800 euro and they tell me it is overbooked. After more than the time needed, they finally check me in and they tell me to speed up and go to the gate. I run like crazy until I arrive at my seat. Inflight Experience: I discover that my entertainment system was broken. Now imagine a 12 hour non-stop flight without an entertainment system. I asked more than one hostess to assist me and change my seat but they continuously told me that the flight was overbooked. They didn't apologise. I could not even light up my light (since it was connected to the system). Thankfully I had my kindle with me and was able to read for 8 hours. Once again, the bad service did not stop at Fiumicino and in-air. LAX: Upon arrival, my baggage was not there. I waited 3 days to get my luggage. I will never fly again with Alitalia.
RouteRome Fiumicino to Los Angeles LAX
Date Flown25-08-2015

Review by (Japan)

Very disappointing. Seats were uncomfortable, with a headrest that pushes your head forward. Seats and tray tables were not clean. On this hot summer day, they 'ran out of beer' during the first drink service at the beginning of a 13+ hour flight. No whiskey or spirits, choices of alcohol were red or white wine only. Cabin crew were particularly surly, right from the start. Flew Jetstar Tokyo to Cairns two weeks after this flight, and this LCC was infinitely better, in every department, than Alitalia.
RouteTokyo to Rome
Date Flown20-07-2015

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United States)

Alitalia may change your departure time after you buy your ticket. Alitalia did this to my wife who is traveling alone with our nine-month-old daughter. Because Alitalia changed her departure time she will now miss her Alitalia connection in Rome on Tuesday. The airline put her on a flight to New York. We live in Chicago, and she’s traveling alone with our baby girl! The additional layover will add another flight and four hours to her trip from Europe. It’s a terrible deal for us but a great deal for Alitalia. We never would have bought the ticket with an additional layover, but now Alitalia has duped us into paying a one-stop premium for a two-stop itinerary. I tried to contact Alitalia Customer Relations but they will not respond.
RouteRome to Chicago
Date Flown16-08-2015

Review by (Italy)

Milan to Rome, crew friendly and attentive. Return flight delayed by 20 minutes, crew nice, offered a snack both ways and drink. A good experience and very low price.
RouteMilan to Rome
Date Flown14-08-2015

Review by (Romania)

Alitalia has improved its service. Very attentive crew, even if the food was not consistent. Only snacks and beverages. In economy, the seats are average. No inflight entertainment but since the flights lasted less than 2 hours so it was no problem. They treat frequent fliers very good and I definitely reccomend it.
AircraftA320 and A319
RouteParis Orly to Bucharest via Milan Linate
Date Flown14-06-2015

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

The staff are so rude and do not like to take responsibility for anything. We were told at London check in that our suitcases would go straight on to Tirana. Only to find out after a layover in Rome that out suitcases were not on the plane - they were left in Rome. Constant phone calls and trips to Tirana airport to find what was going on, and still left in the dark about it. Staff said there is nothing they can do - it will turn up when it turns up.
RouteLondon to Tirana via Rome
Date Flown11-08-2015

Alitalia customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Alitalia to Cagliari via Rome from London. Food and drink was basic with the choice of water juice or coke with a snack. However considering it was cheaper than easyjet, I would recommend Alitalia due to free checked baggage and air miles.
RouteLondon to Cagliari via Rome
Date Flown06-05-2015

Review by (Australia)

Alitalia has not improved. At Rome airport we had to go to one gate and bus to another gate. When we got there there was no sign that this was the gate for the London flight as the Air Algerie sign for an Algiers was left up. Alitalia staff eventually arrived but didn't change the sign. When I asked a supervising member of staff why this wasn't done, especially considering the gate change, they offered no explanation let alone apology. When I said "no wonder people don't want to fly Alitalia!", his response was "Well why do you?" Customer service at its best! Budget airlines like Easyjet are better. The two hour flight was delayed 1.5 hours. No coffee or tea served on board, only water and juice. No beer or wine available even for purchase. Sloppy non service. Avoid Alitalia at all costs
RouteRome to London
Date Flown05-07-2015

Review by (Italy)

Excellent flight, full assistance and great staff. Simple snack with dolce and salato plus drink, but finally very very good flight. Both flights arrived ahead of time.
RouteCagliari to Paris via Milan
Date Flown03-07-2015

Review by (Japan)

Delay due to technical reasons little by little increased to six hours. Gate staff in Vienna completely uncooperative, told that rebookings will only be made for international onward flights. At the ticket counter, eventually rebooked to the next morning on Lufthansa. Took two hours to find and give back my bag. Not willing to accommodate any passengers on the other Alitalia flight or any others that day. End of the story: the flight eventually got cancelled around 10 p.m.
RouteVIE to NAP via FCO