Alitalia

"Last time for me flying Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Rome. Flight was delayed 40 min. without explanation. As usual with Alitalia there was no order in calling rows to board the plane and a huge crowd of passengers were standing there waiting for the rows to be called. Very confusing without structure. My seat was completely abused and it was the worst seat I’ve had on over 200 flights in my life. Crew looked great but poor service. Arrogant and unlike other airlines they were sitting talking among themselves in the back of the plane. Last time for me flying Alitalia! That’s for sure!
RouteLos Angeles to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"price was very reasonable"

Not Verified | Heathrow to Rome (rtn) in economy class onboard an older A321 outbound and an A320 on the inbound flight. Check-in on both flights was prompt and professional and seats which had been pre-booked were offered. The boarding was organised and although both flights were full this was straight forward and stress free. The seats are tight in economy but no more than other airlines. The price was very reasonable at £146 return and again was the main factor for choosing AZ. The flight offered a drinks service which was all complimentary but no food. Once again this is comparable to BA so no major grumble here. Overall I would recommend AZ on the short-haul product. The staff are friendly enough and I don't see any major difference from any other airline within Europe.
RouteLondon to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"charged 55 Euros per bag"

Trip Verified | I did not note that if I did not pay for my bags ahead of time I would be charged 55 Euros per bag. Then I got on the flight and I have never been crammed into a seat so small. I am 5’8 and I couldn’t even sit in the seat without my legs being squashed into the seat in front of me.
RouteCatania to Rome
Date FlownJune 2018

"was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Have heard a lot of negative reviews about Alitalia but was pleasantly surprised. Onward journey, Delhi-Rome staff not so friendly but otherwise efficient, food ok and leg space ok. Rome-Delhi staff friendly, food only Italian but tasty, leg space ok and flight on time. A no frills airline. Will definitely recommend.
RouteNew Delhi to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"definitely fly them again"

Trip Verified | London to Johannesburg via Rome. Booked Alitalia due to the price and had no expectations at all. The flight from LHR was delayed by an hour due to really bad weather and was uneventful. The cabin crew were not happy on this leg but were still cordial. Arriving in Rome I boarded the JNB flight straight away. The crew meeting passengers at the door were great, especially the male flight attendant. I was happily surprised with the seats too. I had been led to believe that it would be cramped but this was not the case. The seats were wide and the pitch was really great compared to many other airlines. The service was swift and on the whole friendly. The food was standard and on par with other airlines and drinks and snacks were left out in the galleys along with a variety of drinks. I honestly have no problem in recommending Alitalia and will most definitely fly them again.
AircraftA320 / A330-200
RouteLondon to Johannesburg via Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"not informed of baggage policies"

Trip Verified | Naples to Rome. We booked our tickets through Kayak and were not informed of the baggage policies beyond the usual thing. When we traveled from Palermo to Naples, we were allowed to check one bag and carry on a bag with no additional fees. However, the problem began on our flight from Naples to Rome. When we went to check our bags, we were informed our checked bags were each over 8 kg. They charged us 53 Euros per bag to check them. The ticket agent gave us a lot of misleading information about what our options were. According to their company policies, we were charged the wrong excess baggage fee but they won't even refund that and charge us the right fee. Take the train for much less money, no baggage restrictions, etc.
RouteNaples to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"never again and never Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Rome to Boston. I would like to thank the Alitalia desk agent at the Rome airport who taught me a very important lesson! I will never be a complacent traveler again. We arrived 6 hours early to check in for our flight home. We had bought and paid for our seats 5 months ago and were to be seated in Row 19 A and C. For some reason we were reassigned to seats 44 A and C right next to the toilet. We did not notice the change until we had left the area. Fortunately, there were numerous empty seats in the middle of the aircraft and we did move. Now the fault lies with us for not returning to the agent for an explanation and to demand our original seats. The agent must have really enjoyed her day knowing that she had placed two people in the worst possible seats for a nine hour flight. I always try to be patient and understanding when changes are made. Never again and never Alitalia.
RouteRome to Boston

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Rome. Horrible customer service: rude, horrible flight. Cramped more than other flights, air conditioning did not work so it was extremely hot. Extremely disorganized.
RouteNew York JFK to Rome

"cold and unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Flew Alitalia from Palermo to Geneva via Rome. Worst customer experience on an airline yet. All flights were on time and baggage arrived correctly, so it is not about operations. From the first telephone contact, initially to change a flight, to the personnel at check in and inflight service, the welcome to guests is cold and unfriendly. Both ways (to and from Palermo) was obliged to check my carry on bag, despite it being of regulation size, as the flight was supposedly full and overhead bin space needed for other carry on. (Why theirs, not mine? Because I also had a checked bag?). In both cases, I observed plenty of available space in overhead lockers when flights took off. Additionally, boarding badly indicated and several passengers from Rome missed the first bus to the plane. Of four flights, 3 all had buses to distant locations despite this being a national airline. Final detail: no food offered to passengers other than a salty cracker snack, whether first thing at 7 am or at 9 pm. Soft drinks only. Would rather fly a low cost and pay for my drinks.
RoutePalermo to Geneva via Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"a waste of money and time"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | I had a terrible experience travelling with Alitalia. I booked a ticket with KLM from New York JFK to Athens via Rome, but the return flight was unfortunately operated by Alitalia. First of all, we were waiting for 5 hours inside a landed airplane because the crew were waiting for the second pilot. I can't even tell how rude they were with passengers, they only gave us one glass of water and a small snack, even though we'd been waiting 5 hours! Furthermore, I had a flight connection, which I lost because of the long delay of the first flight so I had to wait for 4 more hours at Rome Fiumicino. The ground staff were rude and barely spoke English. Alitalia was a waste of money and time!
RouteNew York JFK to Athens via Rome