Alitalia

"I get a bid to upgrade"

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Chicago via Rome. I had booked a flight and the cheapest was a combination of economy, premium economy, and business. Weeks before I get a bid to upgrade, and I do so from premium economy to business on the long hauls. I bid the lowest, and it gets accepted. 165 eur from premium economy to business. Not bad. It was worth it because the seat I had in premium economy was 8L which has bad legroom and I was glad I didn't sit there. It has the divide in front of you. Yes the food was not Emirates I am sure. But value for money it was spot on. I am tall so my feet would not fit all the way on the completely lie flat seat. But if you are just a bit shorter, it must be amazing and people were sleeping all through. I never flew business in my life. At the end I ask if I can keep the two teaspoons as a souvenir. Before disembarking the flight attendant taps on my shoulder and offers me a bag. "Two teaspoons is not enough. With lots of affection to you". There is a coffee cup set inside.
AircraftA330-200
RouteTel Aviv to Chicago via Rome
Date FlownAugust 2017

"I did not enjoy the flight"

Verified Review | Paris to Skopje via Rome. The plane on the first leg from Paris to Rome was a very old and not well maintained A321. The staff seemed to be rather listless. Despite of having an exit row seat, I did not enjoy the flight. The plane arrived slightly late in Rome and had an outside parking position, which made the connection rather stressful because I had a short connection time. The second leg was much better with a new E170 and friendly staff. On the way back, I also had a positive experience on both legs. If the price is right, I would not exclude taking Alitalia again, but there are definitely better European airlines.
AircraftA321 / E170
RouteParis to Skopje via Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"Leg room, seat recline were fantastic"

Verified Review | A fantastic flight. I got a premium economy seat by biding online thru their seat bidding system. Got the seat upgrade for 1/3 of the regular price. Wonderful. Leg room, seat recline were fantastic, needed on a long haul flight. Plane was clean, service was great. Food was OK, don't expect much from airline food. I recommend bringing your own snack, buy a sandwich after customs and bring it on the plane, with an extra bottle of water. Entertainment system is dated and the choices are OK. I recommend loading up your tablet with Netflix and music. Bring noise cancelling earphones, they have a power supply so no worries about battery drainage. Overall well done Alitalia. I hope my flight back to Toronto will be as pleasant as the one to Thessaloniki.
AircraftA330-200
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteToronto to Thessaloniki via Rome
Date FlownJuly 2017

"downgraded me to X class"

Verified Review | Rome to Amsterdam. I bought ticket with economy Y class (full economy) and it's included luggage for round trip AMS-FCO-AMS. The first leg from AMS-FCO was smooth, but the 2nd leg was terrible. I did check-in online and had boarding pass (with Y class), but when I came to airport they did not allow me to attach luggage. Staff did not know how to smile, how to say sorry, they just know how to say "I don't know". Then, they reprinted new boarding pass with X class and required me to pay 40eur for my luggage. I asked a lady who was in check-in procedure why my boarding pass which I checked-in online was Y class, but they downgraded me to X class, she just say "I don't know", "You must pay".
RouteRome to Amsterdam
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Alitalia's website is useless"

Verified Review | Palermo to Rome. I booked a ticket that was categorized as "Economy" through a third-party supplier. On the Alitalia website, "Economy" is a separate category from "Light" (in the latter, there is no checked baggage allowance). When I went to do my online check-in on the Alitalia website, my fare class was written as "Economy" not "Light", suggesting that I had a checked bag included. In fact, when I went into the section to purchase checked baggage, the website was charging me 60 euro (as if I were looking to have a second bag) instead of 25 euro (which is supposed to be the price for adding a bag online, in advance, on the Alitalia website, when you have a "Light" fare). On the basis of this information that I checked and double-checked on the Alitalia website itself, I did not do a checked baggage advanced purchase. When I arrived at the terminal, I was advised that I was not allowed checked baggage without paying. I had taken screenshots of the check-in for the website and I showed them to the incredibly rude customer service representative, to no avail. I had to pay 48 euro at Palermo airport. They kept asking me over and over why I hadn't paid for the bag online - I tried multiple times to explain how the website was charging me 60 euro (even less than the airport cost), so why would I ever have paid that online. I note that the same thing regarding the website check-in and baggage cost happened on both my inbound and outbound flights on this same ticket. The ticket was listed on the Alitalia website itself as "Economy" fare, not light. I sent a complaint to Alitalia by e-mail (you can only e-mail with complaints from Canada, no telephone number) a month ago and have received no response. All I'm asking for is a refund of the difference between the airport price and online price for baggage. I'm happy to pay for the baggage, but should not be more out of pocket because Alitalia's website is useless and the counter staff lack any understanding of the online check-in process.
RoutePalermo to Rome

"purchase luggage allowance"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Milan to Paris. I purchased the ticket via skyscanner but was not sure if I would have to purchase luggage allowance or not. The confirmation showed that it was economy so i decided not to pay for that. At Paris airport, they said I could load my bag as it was included. At Milan Linate airport, the lady at the check in counter said I had to pay €45. I asked for the manager, she came and said I had to pay with no choice or they wouldn't check me in. If I knew from skyscanner that I had to pay for the checked luggage, I would do it online without paying double at the check in. How could i fly to Milan with my luggage if i had to pay? The staff didn't try to solve any problem but made me pay with no other choice.
RouteMilan to Paris
Date FlownJuly 2017

"would not recommend Alitalia "

Verified Review | Rome to Toronto. This flight, as well as the flight from Toronto to Rome was the most uncomfortable flight I have ever experienced. The seats felt like wood, and, although I was very gratefully given another seat, which was one of the preferred seats, it was hard. The original seat was very close to the bathroom and even the air conditioning blowing was impossible to stop the smell. Both flights were filthy. The blankets smelled rotten. The original flight from Toronto to Rome had seating so tight you could hardly get through the row. I would not recommend Alitalia in economy class.
RouteRome to Toronto

"not overly impressed"

Verified Review | Round trip flight between New York JFK and Rome with Alitalia. To our pleasant surprise both flights departed and arrived on time. (We also took two domestic flights and those too operated as per scheduled timings). Overall, the experience was disappointing. The cabin was rather warm, the flight attendants were brusque and absent for the most part, the food options limited, the IFE was rather complicated to use with a limited selection, the seat narrow, space for keeping one's personal effects was non-existent and the toilets were either untidy or lacked toilet paper. There was nothing distinctivess about the duty free offerings. The flights were smooth and the cockpit kept us apprpriately updated. The seat was comfortable with various massage features. The cabin in 1-2-1 layout was spacious and clean. In sum, it was a basic, functional product lacking any distinctiveness save for an Italian flair. The only reason we chose Alitalia was to start our holiday in Italy with a taste of Italy in the air. And we got that and was not overly impressed.
RouteNew York JFK to Rome

"Don't fly with them"

Verified Review | Geneva to Catania via Geneva and I was unable to check-in online. The airline counter at Geneva was only able to check me in until Rome and informed me that I will have to check-in for Catania at Rome. I expressed my anxiousness as to whether the transit desk at Rome will be able to check me in time before the gate closes, to which the person at the counter informed me that I needn't go to the transit desk but go directly to the gate and ask for the boarding pass. At Rome, i ran to the gate, only to be hand waved into going to the transit desk. There was a long queue of passengers ahead of me, and just one person manning the transit desk. After an hour of waiting, with just 10 minutes for the gate to close i was handed a boarding pass that said I was on standby and was asked to join another queue that simply said 'standby list'. With two minutes left to the gate closing, another kind employee of alitalia informed me that I will have to go back to the transit desk and informed me without any explanations that I will not be able to travel on that flight. After standing in a queue for the third time the transit desk guy informed me that there's nothing he could do and asked me to go to the Alitalia counter at arrivals saying they would provide me accommodations and an alternative flight. After standing in that queue for a further 45mins, I was told that I will have to go to the Alitalia counter at departures since apparently this counter could do nothing to help me (why inform me to go there in the first place?). At the queue at the departures counter, after a final wait of a bit more than an hour, I was handed my accommodation voucher and 'dinner' voucher at 1am the next day. Awesome. I arrived at Rome at 8:30pm and had spent 4h30mins standing in lines to nowhere and running between counters, with not so much of an apology. Your plans don't matter. It doesn't matter if you are tired and starving. You are simply one amongst the 100 others that missed Alitalia's flights, because they can't be bothered to have more than one person at any given counter. Don't fly with them or be ready to be in a similar situation :)
RouteGeneva to Catania via Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"service onboard is reduced to a minimum"

(Israel)

Verified Review | The airline is going from worse snd worse. Flew from Rome FCO to Prague. In the past it was a very pleasant experience to fly this Italian brand. They removed all their inflight entertainment systems and now I was surprised their service onboard is reduced to a minimum in regards with the ticket price. They used to serve a nice sandwich and later a snack and variety of drinks. Now on the last 4 flights I have taken with them, they serve only water or cola (no juice) and a small snack. The seats are not clean and stylish anymore and it is no longer nice to fly Alitalia. Their crew are very elegant and professional though.
RouteRome FCO to Prague