Airline of the Year

Alitalia

"they did not make any contact with me"

Verified Review | First the transit hall in Rome was so far away and then when I arrived my luggage was lost. After registering the lost luggage and getting the form on 26 March, until today which is about 2 months passed, they did not make any contact with me anymore and did not inform either they found or want to pay compensation for it. I have sent many email, fax and mail to their customer service in Germany and Italy but no response.
RouteTehran to Frankfurt via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a delay from Casablanca"

(Malta)

Verified Review | Casablanca to Malta via Rome. First we had a delay from Casablanca so we missed the connection. Then the person at the desk of Alitalia which he supposed to book again our connection to Malta he booked and cancelled the booking at the same time. We had a ticket in our hands which was not valid for check in. After more than an hour running from desk to another they decieded to book all of us again but there wasnt enough space for the 5 of us. We were told that if some of the passegers dont show up we can get on the plane. We stayed at the gate till the last moment and some passengers didnt show up because of another delay.
RouteCasablanca to Malta via Rome
Date FlownMay 2017

"has not been any apology"

Verified Review | Paris to Milano. Sad to say that my experience is very dissapointing. I arrived at 6h00 at CDG airport with a scheduled flight at 7h30. After several fail attempts to check into my flight I go to an Alitalia counter. The very nice lady kindly directed me to the Air France counter because my flight was supposedly operated by them. After an hour of looking for my flight, (they could not find my name in the system,) they finally realized that my flight had been changed to an earlier time and I had not been informed of this change. I went to an Alitalia counter at the airport, where I had to deal with a very unpleasant attendant. I was nothing but polite to her when I explained my situation and all she said to me was, "it is 7h05 you would've missed your flight anyway." To which I responded, "yes, because I have been bounced off from counter to counter for the last hour." Without any explanation, or communication, she wrote some numbers on a piece of a paper and said "your new ticket." I asked if my return flight had also changed. Once again, no communication whatsover she wrote more numbers on the piece of paper. I had to once again ask how am I supposed to get my boarding pass, and she said "counter 3, have a nice day." I was the only person in the room, so is not like she had more people to take care of. This all happened at the purchasing tickets counter. Once again, the lady at the check-in counter was nice and gave me my boarding pass. When my second flight finally boarded, ahead of schedule I should point out. They tell us they have "some issues they have to take care of." I do not understand how is it possible for them to board an entire plane and then take care of issues. On top of that, the flight is now 20 minutes delayed. I wrote this entire review sitting on your plane. Perhaps my experience will change after departure, but as of right now, there has not been any apology, or explanation from your crew or company in regards to the time and business of your customers. I understand stuff happens, and sometimes is out of our control. But if your company decides to change a flight and not communicate it with the passengers. They least the attendand could've done was to apologize for the inconvenience.
RouteParis to Milano
Date FlownMay 2017

"Really pleasant flight"

(Italy)

Verified Review | New York to Milan. Really pleasant flight on Alitalia, the in flight Business product is above par. Their lounge in NYC urgently needs a facelift, it looks like being thrown back to the 90s and this impacts the overall image that the airline is trying to build. Boarding was average, only one door used on the 330 to let everyone in so although priority boarding is enforced if you don't arrive immediately then it feels like "everyone in". There has been a discussion over the crew new outfit, I feel it is elegant and looks very Italian. Cabin layout is a staggered 1-2-1 with direct aisle access; seats are extremely comfortable with the new poltrona frau leather cover. The best of Alitalia is inflight service though, sometimes the crew might be not as "friendly" as expected, this time was perfect. Regional Italian food and wines (Friuli Venezai Giulia and Sicily) were really good, served on Frette tablecloth and Richard Ginori china and silverware. Seat was comfortable, IFE maybe slightly short in offering of movies but enough for a 8 hours flight. Amenity kit was large (and it converts into a stylish iPad case), with selection of Bvlgari products. Overall a good experience, I hope new destinations will be served out of Italy so that I can fly Alitalia again.
RouteNew York to Milan
Date FlownMarch 2017

"good way to fly long distance"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Sao Paulo to Rome. Premium Economy with Alitalia is a fabulous product. Excellent legroom, comfortable seat. Food was served on plates not in an economy style carton. Nice touches provided like a liquor and espresso with meal, hot towel before meal. Cabin is separated and feels spacious. As it is separate there is also plenty of overhead luggage space. Food was good. Price was also very reasonable maybe 15% higher than what i would expect to pay for an economy ticket on this route. Very pleased, this is definitely a good way to fly long distance.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSao Paulo to Rome
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I cannot trust this airline"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Flight from Athens to Rome delayed to arrive in Athens. Alitalia said they will catch up time on air trip. On arrival at Fiumicino our connecting flight supposed to have been departed (AZ1759) 3 minutes ago, meanwhile not any records on the departure flight board. Rescheduled to AZ1719 (next flight out) for departure on 03-04-2017 at 21:50. On arrival at Catania airport, my luggage didn't arrive. Spent 2 hours waiting to submit a baggage claims and finally I got my luggage back the next late evening (04-04-2017) while on the early morning of April 5th I was flying back to Athens. Beverages: Only water and orange juice with a small satchel of snack (biscotti or salatini). Service very poor I cannot trust this airline.
RouteAthens to Catania via Rome
Date FlownApril 2017

"Alitalia is a nightmare"

Verified Review | New York to Milan. Got to JFK after 3 delays by Delta. Ran through terminals to get to Alitalia, but we didn't get there until 9:12pm and our flight was scheduled to depart at 9:45pm. The Alitalia rep told us they had already closed the door to the plane. No other flights were going to Milan. No hotel or other remuneration was provided. Delta got us on a flight to Paris with Air France and then to Milan. Alitalia lost our luggage and we were charged by the car service for the ride we couldn't take. At this time we are wearing the same clothes we left home in (day 4). We've been told our bags were located and "promised" we'd get them later today. Conclusion, Alitalia is a nightmare.
RouteNew York to Milan
Date FlownMarch 2017

"horrible company to fly with"

Verified Review | London to Rio de Janeiro return via Rome. Alitalia was a horrible company to fly with. I was extremely disappointed with the service as well as everything to do with the flight. The food was poor, the seats extremely uncomfortable. It's unbelievable to think you could fly for 12 hours in those conditions paying the amount of money you pay. . And to top It all off they give these horrible blankets, that did not look like they were clean. I would not fly with them again and would not recommend to anyone.
RouteLondon to Rio via Rome
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"very attentive and friendly cabin crew"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Flew Alitalia from Milan to Havana via Rome. Flight very pleasant, speedy boarding, very clean aircraft cabin, large and comfortable seat with large screen and inflight entertainment with many games, TV programmes and movies, and fast Wi-fi on board. Very attentive and friendly cabin crew, typically delicious Italian food served in abundant quantity and followed by an excellent selection of Italian wines. Best ever inflight espresso coffee, you can also choose the blend.
AircraftBoeing 777-200ER
RouteMilan to Havana via Rome
Date FlownNovember 2016

"Alitalia never again"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Rome to São Paulo. Horrible to do check in. Horrible food and drinks served on the flight, and an old entretainment system, rude staff. Alitalia never again, even if its the cheapest. I couldn't do check online, so I had to arrive 3 hours before. I had to travel in the middle seat and being 1,92m it was horrible.
RouteRome to São Paulo