Alitalia

"Terrible customer service"

Verified Review | Rome to New York. Terrible customer service! We arrived at the airport over 2 hours before our flight was supposed to take off. It took over an hour of to get checked in since they will not let you use a kiosk. After the guy printed our tickets and took our luggage he said it was now unlikely we would make our flight because we stood in line for so long and then we had a long walk ahead of us to the gate. They also would not change our seats for my husband and I to sit together on our on honeymoon. Somehow we made the flight to find our multiple other couples around us had been separated from their family as well. Service on the flight was not amazing either. I would pay more to avoid flying with this airline in the future.
RouteRome to New York
Date FlownNovember 2017

" customer service non-existent"

Verified Review | We have not yet even flown with Alitalia but experience so far has been very poor indeed. We had been warned about the airline but we had no choice in the matter. The forthcoming long flight due in January persuaded us to book comfort seats so we had extra leg room. Not cheap at £75 each on each flight. When I rang I was told I couldn't book these seats because I am over 65 (my wife is younger). When challenged they told me it was because the seats were by the emergency exits. After much discussion they said they would book them but could not guarantee that I would be able to board the plane. She said this is explained on their website. I checked and this is not so, it just says that passengers must be fit and able which I am. Emailed to complain about this but no reply. Tried again but no reply. Eventually I contacted the Customer Services Manager (not possible to email CEO unfortunately). She replied that their staff are really experienced and knew that age itself was not a barrier and I could book. She said she would remind their telephone staff. When I rang to try and book again I was once more was asked if I was over 65. When I said yes she went away to check if I could use these seats and eventually said she would book them. I was told I would get an email by reply - I didn't so phoned again and was told they would email me - they didn't. Emailed Customer Services Manager again to tell her of my recent experience. She emailed me back to say that their telephone staff would not have raised the issue of age and in fact it was me that raised it and because this had never been asked about before. This was absolutely not true. I went back to the CSM to tell her that she was being mislead and felt aggrieved that I was being blamed for the confusion. I said I felt that an apology would be in order. I have had no reply. Customer service seems non-existent, no wonder Alitalia is in trouble.
RouteLondon to Santiago
Date FlownNovember 2017

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Rome to Brindisi. It had been many years since I had flown with Alitalia and my expectations were low. I was pleasantly surprised by what was after all a domestic flight. The seats were comfortable, with an above average pitch. The crew were friendly and helpful. On a relatively short domestic flight they offered a beverage service. The only downside was having to take a bus to the aircraft. Overall, a better than expected flight.
RouteRome to Brindisi
Date FlownOctober 2017

"nothing was smooth about the experience"

Verified Review | Flew Milan Linate to London Heathrow. As a frequent flier I tend to choose budget airlines because they are affordable and user friendly, with tiers of services that almost feel customized to everyone's needs. However, seeing as these days Alitalia's tickets can be affordable too, I thought I'd give it a try! Well, I'm saddened to say that nothing was smooth about the experience and I even ended up with additional unforeseen charges that made my journey way too expensive for how little enjoyable it's been. I massively regretted having chosen Alitalia and will not chose it again. And here's why: - Alitalia's website doesn't have a check-in button on the home page, you have to navigate the website and think creatively of where they might have placed the online check-in. When you find it, you understand that you will not find a visible button. What will take you to the check-in page is an hyperlink within a thick text. Excellent! 10 minutes wasted right there, just to find the check-in page. Frustration levels go up. - When you try to choose your seat, a message appears saying you have already chosen it, and then you are allocated a random one. Nice! - If you want to purchase a check in bag you are not given (or at least the info is not straight forward) a list of options with weights and prices to choose from. There seems to be only one purchasing option, with unspecified weight. As a budget airline user, you might end up thinking that, if the information is not there, maybe Alitalia doesn't charge different fees for different weights. So you go ahead and make your purchase. Nervous about not knowing what is the maximum weight for your check-in baggage, you try to browse the complicated site to find the information. Unsuccessfully. Frustration levels go even further up. You check the email confirmation where all the details are summed up, aside from the maximum weight of your baggage. At that point, 30 minutes after having began the whole check-in+baggage purchase process, you give up, and you go to the airport, where you get charged 60€ because your suitcase is heavier than what it was supposed to be. But how heavy was it supposed to be? I needed to get to the airport to find out. I should have asked Google, not Alitalia's website. The staff on-board weren't the kindest I've experienced. Some of the stewardesses wouldn't even smile while carrying out their duties, and the general level of English was quite poor, which is saddening for an airline. Lastly, remember that legroom you had heard of? Forget about it. With reclining seats, if the passenger in front of you reclines the seat, your legroom reduces drastically and your knees are going to hurt in no time! So overall, what was supposed to be an affordable flight with a high end airline and high end experience, turned out to be unexpectedly annoying and stressful. All that I've experienced are some of the most frustrating things for a frequent flyer, such as having to pay more for any information you did look for, but were unable to find after quite some time spent browsing. I will happily go back to flying with budget airlines and encourage other travelers to do so!
RouteMilan Linate to London Heathrow

"such uncomfortable seats"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Poor experience with Alitalia on Moscow-Rome-Naples-Palermo-Moscow route. Disorganised check-in in Moscow and Naples, where very few counters were open, led to very long waiting time. Moscow to Rome was delayed for 50 minutes for no apparent reason. Flight crew were quite nice, but the food was appalling - only a small muffin on a 3.5 hour flight is simply unacceptable. No spirits, wine or beer. The aircraft was very old, some seats had duct tape around the armrests. Seat pitch was uncomfortable, though after asking the crew I was reseated to another row. Due to the delay I have missed the connection to Naples and had to be rebooked to the next flight, which only came 4,5 hours later. I was given a food voucher for a sandwich, some fruit and a soft drink, but nothing else. Have filed a claim, still haven't heard back in a week. Rome-Naples - A319 with a truly appalling seat pitch - I have never experienced such uncomfortable seats. Most passengers could not sit in these at all, everyone was twisted sideways. No service whatsoever, not even water. Naples-Palermo - Embraer E-175 with surprisingly comfortable seats and decent cabin, service consisted of soft drinks only. Palermo-Moscow - A320 with, once again, uncomfortable seats. I was lucky to sit in an emergency exit row, though the pitch honestly was more or less the same as the pitch on premium airlines in standard economy seat. Service consisted of a small ham sandwich (flight duration is 4 hours), my requested special meal never came. Full drinks service, including wine. The crew on this flight were apathetic, with no intent to smile or create a pleasant experience, though all requests were quickly dealt with. Overall, Alitalia is not an airline I wish to fly with, considering its current state, but for the price (and the price for these flights - with luggage - was around 150 EUR in total) it was acceptable.
AircraftA321 / A319 / E175 /, A320
RouteMoscow to Naples via Rome
Date FlownOctober 2017

"will gladly use Alitalia again"

Verified Review | This was a second part of a journey from from Cagliari to London via Milan. This flight was delayed but only by about 40 minutes due to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft. I really enjoyed this flight but was not so happy with the very crowded transfer bus and the stampede to board and people with far too much hand luggage! The cabin crew were very nice and the Embraer city liner was ideal for this length of flight. The interior was nicely decorated in Alitalia colours and I must say the flight was quiet. Arrival into London City was well managed and the crew bid passengers farewell. I will gladly use Alitalia again. The hot drink served was appreciated.
RouteMilan Linate to London City

"was a bit apprehensive"

Verified Review | Rome to Catania. First time on Alitalia as part of a trip from Düsseldorf to Catania via Rome. I only learned of the insolvency of the airline after booking so was a bit apprehensive. But everything turned out fine. We were assigned an emergency exit seat without any cost and were served a drink for free. Took off too late because of typical Italian discussions about hand luggage. I don't understand why they allow hand luggage bigger than my luggage on hold on board. Took ages before it was settled because the plane was full. Arrived only five minutes too late in Catania though. All in all it was a good flight. The only reason why I don't recommend is the insolvency.
RouteRome to Catania

"mediocre to bad flight"

Verified Review | New York to Rome. I have flown Alitalia for years, but it is just getting worse. I thought by upgrading to premium economy it would be much better, but no. For twice the price of economy, you do get easy check-in (thank God, because economy check-in must take about an hour), but after that, very little difference. The seats are a bit larger wth 7 seats across instead of 9, but they are just as hard and uncomfortable. The food is the same as economy , which is awful. I love Italian culture, particularly the food, but how can the national airline of Italy have such bad food? (All 4 meals round trip). And beware Americans, this airline does not stock vodka on board, even for an 11 hour flight. Also, flight attendants are cool and impersonal, very un-Italian. As far as in flight entertainment was concerned I had never heard of any of the films on offer. Overall, a mediocre to bad flight experience.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seems like issue of overbooking"

Verified Review | Paris to New Delhi via Rome. Alitalia is starting operations in India from 30th October 2017. I had booked tickets in July for my travel to Switzerland and Paris then return back to Delhi. Booked with this airline as the tickets were cheap. But now they are changing my return dates. Orginal return is on 27th Nov they changed it to 26th Nov without informing me. Now their new email says your flight for 26th has also been cancelled, please contact (a telephone number is given) to change your reservation. When contacted they don't speak English (just Italian, i don't understand italian). When you will check the website for the tickets on same date, tickets were available but were 5 times more costly than for what i have booked. Clearly seems like issue of overbooking and making out money by cheating on customers. Really bad experience before flying, god help me don't know what the flying experience would be.
RouteParis to New Delhi via Rome
Date FlownNovember 2016

"food is a salty or sweet snack"

Verified Review | Palermo to Amsterdam via Milan. Flying Alitalia was a horrible experience for me. There is nothing positive to mention. Badly organised boarding, rude, impatient and cranky cabin crew. The food is a salty or sweet snack, the sweet is kind of ok, the salty is tasteless. Drinks of sodas, coffee or tea only. There is no legs pace. Even creating a bit more space by removing the magazines didn't give me enough space to sit straight. And they wanted me to put my laptop backpack below my seat.
RoutePalermo to Amsterdam via Milan