Alitalia

2do not choose this shoddy airline"

Trip Verified | Alitalia is a joke airline. My flight was delayed by 6 hours due to a fault in one of the engines. In London the ground crew did eventually try to find passage on other carriers, however some of the passengers were told that the plane had been fixed just as we got to the ticket counter of Lufthansa, so we had to go back through security which was a bit of a pain. There was no inflight entertainment and the inflight meals were very poor. The staff on the flight also seemed a bit stressy. We had delays at Rome also. I tried to get a change of carrier for the return trip from my agent, but the cost of doing so would have been excessive. The return flight was similarly poor although there were no delays. However when I arrived at Heathrow I found that they had managed to break my suitcase lock. When I went to the service desk they gave me a form and a claim number. I was tod to submit the form by email to their customer relations department. I sent my claim form as requested, however I was told that I had to download another form, fill it in, sign it and send a scan of this form and of my passport. I did this, but in error sent the unfilled form back instead of the signed scan. Any reasonable customer care department would realise that this was an error. I was told that I am no longer eligible for the compensation for my bag even though I subsequently sent the correct file. All in all I would say if you want a reasonable flight do not choose this shoddy airline.
RouteLondon to Cairo via Rome
Date FlownDecember 2017

"became clear flight was overbooked"

Trip Verified | On 15th December 2017 my family and I were booked on a flight from London to Johannesburg - AZ207 to Rome, connecting to Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg with Etihad Airways. At Heathrow we were checked in up to Rome and told that our onward boarding passes would be given at Rome. On arrival in Rome we were told that our agent did not book our tickets for the flight from Rome to Abu Dhabi. We were told that it was our agent’s fault. We then decided to call the travel agent using roaming who confirmed that the tickets were all in order from his end. The agent advised us we need to insist on getting answers from Alitalia, to be informed what was going to happen rather than them blaming the agent for reason. This was through ticket issued all the way to Johannesburg, on Alitalia, code sharing with Etihad Airways. I then went to the desk to enquire about what was going to happen, was told to sit down and wait saying that they were busy getting the passengers to the flight. After I insisted that I wanted to know what was going to happen and that it was not fair to be told to sit without any explanation as it was clear that we were not boarding the flight, we were then informed that we will sleep in a hotel and be put on the next flight and that we don’t need to worry about our luggage as we will get it in Johannesburg. It became clear that the flight was overbooked or oversubscribed. I requested to speak with the manager and to our surprise she was there, was not saying anything or giving any explanation. We waited until it was impossible for us to travel at which point we were told to go to the Alitalia desk. Onward journey tickets were arranged for the 16 of December and an accommodation was arranged for Hilton hotel. We were told that onward ticket from Paris to Johannesburg will be on the 17 December. When my wife enquired we were told that it was the only flight available and that the next one will be towards the end of the week. We left the airport around 21:45. We were informed that the meal was included in the package but on arrival at the hotel the serving of meals had ended and were informed that the meal ends at 22:00. With no vouchers to purchase food from outside, we and the children had to go to bed hungry as the hotel was far from places where we could purchase food and no microwave food or bread in cafe. In addition there was no moisturiser we could as my family have allergic skin reaction. The following day we travelled to Paris which was the different from what was booked initially by the agent. On arrival in Paris we were made aware that our onward ticket was for the following day and that there was no hotel booked for the night. We explained at the desk that it was not our fault and that we cannot sleep on the street. The manager was called and fortunately tickets were arranged for travel later that evening which was Saturday. This proves that staff lied by saying there was no available flight for us on that day. We travelled to Johannesburg and on arrival our separately booked flight to Durban was missed due to the delay in Rome. We had to purchase another ticket. As we were promised that our luggage would be in our flight, this did not happen because we only received our luggage in total after seven days.
RouteLondon to Rome

"Very nice flight"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | I fly often with Alitalia but this time I refer to the trip from Milan To Beijing via Rome. Seats very comfortable, very good meals, flight on time - no delay, cabin crew welcome. The price of the flight was fair. Very nice flight.
RouteMilano to Beijing via Rome

"angry with the service"

Trip Verified | Tunis to London via Rome. I am really angry with the service that my 6-month pregnant wife received from Alitalia. My connecting flight from Tunis on the 29th of January departed 20 minutes later the departure time giving very little time to sit on our next flight. We only had 50 minute wait time which now was reduced to 25 minutes to travel on a bus from one gate to another bus. When the first plane landed, a staff member rushed us to the next plane in Rome gate 14 although my wife was heavily pregnant. We were not allowed to go to the café directly outside gate 14 before boarding the plane so that she can get a small bite to eat before travelling as they refused to let us as the plane was “ready to depart”. They sat us down in the plane, although the plane still did not leave on time and was 25 minutes late. I requested then cabin crew to provide her with food, but they said only business class passengers will be served food and she will have to wait until we land in London. Did not expect such service from such a reputable company, I advise that no pregnant women should travel with Alitalia as she did not get an apology.
RouteTunis to London via Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"satisfied with all services"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Abu Dhabi to Rome. Tried this company again after many years and changed my opinion from slightly critical to positive. Appreciated ground service : requested seat and got full availability of lady who demonstrated the map of plane so I could choose where to sit. Aircraft was new and of comfortable design. Appreciated the entertainment : wide choice of multilingual films and games for adults and children. Food very delicious, international breakfast. Appreciated kindness of on board staff and info from pilots, their effort to recuperate 1h delay.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"threw the packets on my table"

Trip Verified | I was travelling from London to Delhi via Rome and vice versa with Alitalia. The Staff were very rude. When I asked for some extra sugar and milk for my coffee, the air hostess literally threw the packets on my table. After having the dinner, I asked for some snacks and the staff said to me "are you still hungry after eating your dinner" which was so rude and unprofessional. When I asked for earphones, the staff said we have distributed all and don't have any. I am now on my way to London from Rome, same Airline.
RouteDelhi to Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"offered only Italian food"

Trip Verified | Rome to Delhi. 80% of the passengers on the flight were of India origin but the airline offered only Italian food. When I requested for non-vegetarian, I was told they had none. The drinks were only beer and wine, I requested for gin & tonic but was told they do not serve hard liquor. We had to wait 45 minutes in New Delhi for the baggage. I was flying AZ after a long time and had expected things would have improved after its takeover, but alas that is not so.
RouteRome to Delhi

"Never fly this airline"

Trip Verified | Athens to Malaga via Rome. This airline is a total scam. We got a notification that we could bid on upgrades to business class a week before our flight. We decided business class sounded nice and so did it, but bid a low amount and the online tool indicated that we had a very unlikely chance of getting the seats. We ended up getting the seats. Note: our very low amount was actually double what we paid for our two tickets. When we got to the airport, even though we were business class, we still had to pay to check a bag through. We had been carrying the bag on but Alitalia made us pay to check it through. Then, when we boarded the plane, we found our seats were in the bulk head so had very little leg room, and the definition of business class on the flight was that the middle seat was left open. There was nothing that made the comfort any better than being in a regular economy seat. We were then not offered any beverage when we got on board, though they claim to provide that. We were given a mediocre meal and told that is a business class experience. Never fly this airline, they are cheap and lie about their services.
RouteAthens to Malaga via Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"extra-space seat was sold twice"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | Rome to Brussels. Starting from the baggage drop off: all done by the customer, without any assistance to explain a complex process, better arrive early and be armed with patience. At the gate, not enough seats for all passengers we had to wait for the bus standing in queue. On the plane we discovered our extra-space seat was sold twice. And the cherry, the seat had leg-space but was almost too narrow to sit.
RouteRome to Brussels
Date FlownDecember 2017

"have never liked Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Milan Linate to Catania. I have never liked Alitalia even though i am Italian. There was no entertainment onboard, cabin crew only served water and soda. Seats were ok, aircraft ok as well. Not the worst airline in the world but not really nice.
RouteMilan Linate to Catania