Top 100 Airports

Alitalia

"very efficient, fast and discreet"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Really happy about the new Alitalia experience flying from Milano to Ibiza. Excellent ground service in the completely renovated Linate lounge. Inflight service was also very efficient, fast and discreet. Excellent inflight food. Good selection of magazines on board and nice looking cabin with the new leather seat. Worth the money.
AircraftE90
RouteMXP to IBZ
Date FlownAugust 2016

"ground and cabin crew has been friendly"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Rome. At the gate, because of SkyTeam rewards (Delta SkyMiles), I was upgraded to business class. The ground and cabin crew has been friendly, they served a seriously good and abundant meal. Alitalia has renewed the business part of some planes: the dividing walls are now covered by a laminate light wood with the logo of Alitalia and it just looks gorgeous.
RouteDUS to FCO
Date FlownMay 2016

"onboard experience improved"

Verified Review | Pisa Airport is rather small, and the check-in process had yet to begin so we waited at a cafe on the opposite side of the terminal. Once check-in opened we were fifth in line and were at the counter in 10 minutes. The personnel was fast and efficient and printed our boarding passes for both legs. Our flight was set to board at 7.00pm and depart at 7.15, but we didn't board until 7.45. The flight to Rome was operated by an Etihad Regional, and the flight attendants were kind. A drink and authentic Italian cookies were served. We quickly deplaned and sped through the arrivals hall. Our luggage was checked-in and would be kept at the airport overnight and sent to our next leg, or so we thought. The next morning our flight left at 9.30, we went straight to security, that took us about two minutes, the terminal was practically empty. At 8.30 boarding began and we entered our A330-200, the cabin was very nice, seats wide and comfortable. There was wifi, which I didn't get, and the IFE was perfect for a 10-hour flight. During the flight they came with drinks after takeoff and some more of the cookies. An hour or two later they served lunch, which was a great meal, not in quantity but the taste made up for it. Before landing another light meal was served, it was like a pizza. Overall the quality of the onboard experience has improved with Alitalia. We arrived 20 minutes early and had a very quick experience at customs. When we went to pick up our bags, one of the two checked in didn't arrive. We proceeded to the Alitalia desk, to find a line of about 20 people who's bags also didn't arrive. They gave us a list of phone numbers, which never worked except for the Italian one, and after half hour of talking with a rather slow customer service agent over the phone, it turns out our luggage had been sent to Istanbul. After a week our bag arrived home. Overall a pleasurable experience except for the mishap at the end.
AircraftA330-200
RoutePSA to ORD via FCO

"perfectly pleasant flights"

Verified Review | Overall, perfectly pleasant flights from Toronto to Rome return with Alitalia. The planes were new with a stylish and attractive layout. The seats were comfortable with good leg room. Blankets were provided, which were needed as the cabin got very cold. The crew were pleasant enough and efficient, although I would have appreciated more communication from the pilots. On the return flight we were sitting for an hour on the plane at the gate and they had to restart the power two or three times, yet there was no explanation from the pilot beyond the aircraft needing a quick "technical repair". The IFE was pretty good although the selection not quite as extensive as on BA or Air Canada. The food was fairly mediocre even by airplane standards, and I expected better from the flagship Italian carrier: a choice of burnt pasta or oily chicken on both flights. All in all, I enjoyed the flights and would choose Alitalia again.
RouteYYZ to FCO
Date FlownAugust 2016

"I would not recommend Alitalia"

Verified Review | I would not recommend Alitalia. Rome to New York JFK, there was no business class check in line at Rome, only a Sky Priority line which was long and very chaotic. No one from the airline did anything to control the line. People were cutting in line and others were fighting with them about it. It took us over an hour to check in. When we got to the Agent, they said they were oversold and had to make many calls just to get us our boarding passes. We lost the seat assignments that we had made a month before. Evidently this happens often (that's what they said) and according to some other people we talked to, they sometimes deny boarding to people even in business class because they don't have the seats. The plane took a long time to board. They use buses from the terminal. The plane left 2 hours late without good communication about why. The service onboard was not very good at all. The flight attendants go running around and seem to be busy, but they really don't do much and hardly ever smile. From the start they gave my partner a glass of water rather than the wine he ordered. He hit his call button and they did not respond. They gave me the wrong main course. My partner order a coffee later with the second meal and they never brought it to him. There was a 2-3 year old girl running up and down the aisle for most of the flight, so it was impossible to take a nap. The flight attendants did nothing to stop it even though it interfered with their ability to provide service. Food was just okay. The bread was hard as a rock. Flight attendants did the first lunch meal service and then never checked back with us until last meal service on an 8-9 hour flight. Last meal before landing was a couple pieces of bread, cheese and meat. The seats were pretty good and go flat, but service and overall experience (especially check in) was very disappointing.
RouteFCO to JFK
Date FlownJuly 2016

"not interested in serving customers"

(Poland)

Verified Review | New York JFK to Rome. Went on a family holiday to the US for 3 weeks and Alitalia prices were the lowest at moment of booking, however the service and food served onboard were also the lowest. The crew was not really welcoming, hardly smiling, seemingly not interested in serving their customers, and it felt as if we as passengers were a burden to them. Food was not what I expected from an italian carrier, choice between pasta or chicken, mediocre taste and presentation, bun like chewing gum and dessert chemical looking. On 8 hour flight only 2 services, the dinner served about an hour after take off and the breakfast an hour before landing, breakfast consisting of 1 sweet bun only - nothing else , very disappointing. The price was right, but service and food not.
RouteJFK to FCO

"denigrating and discriminatory"

Verified Review | I booked an Alitalia flight from Malaga to Rome to travel the 29th of July (flight AZ91), that day I went to the check in desk where I showed my passport (I am a Mexican citizen), the person in charge asked me for a tourist or residence visa to travel to Italy, I reply that I don't need visa, then she called her supervisor, she said they can't let me on board unless I show I have enough money or a printed ticket to show when do I leave. I had traveled to Italy 2 other times within the last month (flights SQ366 and BA2540) and they never asked for such information so I know for certain this is not a standard practice for a check-in desk. All tourist that travel to countries where they don't need visa, have some restrictions for the length of stay, but they only asked me for further probes, and this was done in a very denigrating and discriminatory way. At the end they gave me my boarding pass, only because someone I was traveling with had printed some reservations, but otherwise I would have been denied the right to board. I read the terms of my Alitalia ticket purchase and it is only written I should show my passport or visa if necessary, nowhere is written I should have printed my traveling plans. So there is no justification for the treatment I received.
RouteAGP to FCO

"simply outstanding"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Rome to Sao Paulo with Alitalia. Simply outstanding. I typically fly BA / American but decided to try something new. I hit the jackpot with Alitalia. The staff seem to be very proud to work for the company, everyone very friendly, appeared to be happy. The lounges at FCO are good, I particularly liked the "Casa Alitalia" lounge by the G Gates, although very full it had an excellent variety of really nice food and drink. On board the staff were fantastic, the seat / bed very comfortable, the food / drink outstanding. The staff that served me had the style of a waiter in a very good Italian restaurant, really knew the menu, was able to recommend excellent combinations of food / wine. The aircraft left and arrived on time. The aircraft was in great condition, looked like it had recently been refitted, it was very clean. This was my first flight with Alitalia it will not be my last.
RouteFCO to GRU

"excellent friendly staff"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Two eventless but satisfactory flights with Alitalia from Heathrow to Rome via Milan. Both aircraft were in good shape, the staff very well presented. At Heathrow T4 check in was swift, the Etihad lounge is ok, had a nice breakfast. I liked the lounge at Linate, very nice coffee, small but not that busy and excellent friendly staff. It seems to be fundamental to Alitalia's strategy that their staff be enthusiastic, they seem to enjoy their work. Everyone was helpful. Seats on the flights were Recaro seats, in good condition, comfortable. My expectations of short haul flights are not high but Alitalia did very well. Recommended.
RouteLHR to FCO via LIN
Date FlownJuly 2016

"didn't see any of them smiling"

Milan to New York JFK. I was rebooked on Alitalia as my Delta flight was delayed and I would have missed my connection. The check in process was fine, my wife and I were able to check in without any major problem. The agents were friendly. But the plane was dirty and the food was mediocre at best. The worst problem was that flight attendants were rude. I didn't see any of them smiling or greeting anyone. At least the staff assigned to our rows were acting as if they were doing us a favor to let us on their plane. I don't think that I would ever get on Alitalia again.
RouteMXP to JFK