Top 100 Airlines

Alitalia

"I did not expect much"

Verified Review | I chose to fly with Alitalia to Tokyo as they were the cheapest carrier at the time, and being a student it has to be the cheapest! Due to delay issues, we did not fly out with Alitalia, but flew them on the return from Tokyo to London via Rome. The flight from Tokyo was alright, nothing more nothing less. I did not expect much paying a cheap fare and I would not say it was drastically worse than other economy class on average. Legroom was fairly poor, the entertainment system was a bit outdated and the food was okay except they ran out of choice by the time they reached me. However what do you expect when you pay just over £400 return. So 8/10 for the price paid. Ground service on the way out was awful. We checked in and reached the gate for our outbound flight to Rome. After a delay of an hour we are told that the flight was cancelled. By this stage I knew getting to Tokyo would be awkward as we would miss our connection. Normally an airline will re-route you the quickest route to your destination and often with a partner airline. This did not happen whatsoever. There was a 2 hour wait to get re-routed and once at the front we were told we would be re-routed the following day - no compensation, no food voucher and a hotel night was all that was offered. The staff were rude and did not seem to know what they were doing. I believed they were stressed and waited for everybody to be re-routed then came back to challenge them for a better re-route. After an hour of telling the staff about what Skyteam was and their partnership with other airlines they finally started to look for an earlier flight. However again the staff were clueless and did not know about other routes, it was I looking up flight numbers and partner airlines myself and showing them on my phone that finally got us re-routed on Korean Air via Seoul. Leaving us with an 8 hour delay rather than 24 hours. So Alitalia are worth the price if you know what you are doing when you travel. If you're an anxious traveller or new to flying I would not recommend them purely on the basis that if something goes wrong it would not be a pleasurable experience. Just make sure that if you are ever delayed ensure that you get food vouchers and know of any possible re-routes and ask for one kindly once everybody else has already been re-routed, otherwise their stress = shouting at you and not wanting to help.
RouteNRT to LHR via FCO
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"very pleasant surprise"

Verified Review | Having read reviews of Alitalia, I was a little worried about our flight from Venice to Abu Dhabi. It was a very pleasant surprise. Check-in at VCE could not have been easier or quicker, and the boarding went very smoothly as well. The A330 seats were very comfortable, with good legroom (and I am 6'4"). Cabin crew friendly and helpful. The lunch was very good, with a good selection of wines to accompany. IFE had a wide selection, and was easy to navigate. Arrived early into Abu Dhabi. I would not hesitate to fly Alitalia again, and their A330s are a very comfortable way to fly.
RouteVCE to AUH
Date FlownApril 2016

"Boeing 777 seats really small"

(Italy)

Verified Review | New York to Rome with Alitalia. Ground service is good, polite and helpful staff. The lounge is clean and comfortable. Boeing 777 economy seats are really small and uncomfortable, window seats have some kind of a box under the seat that takes most of the space for your feet. Headrests force you to keep your head in a very uncomfortable position. Seats can barely be reclined. Inflight entertainment not an interesting choice of movies. They don't change movies too often. If you fly within one or two months you still find the same movies. Meals are average. They used to have snacks available in the galley during the flight, but not anymore. Flights are mostly on time. I love the late schedule out of JFK to Rome.
RouteJFK to FCO

"we liked Alitalia"

Verified Review | We flew Dusseldorf to Florence via Rome return with Alitalia, and had four really good flights. The aircraft were tidy, modern and with good seat pitch. Staff has been friendly and professional and was speaking good English. Except for a few minutes all our flights were on time. Onboard you get free softdrinks, beer and wine and a sandwich on the international legs. We liked Alitalia, the value was great and we would choose the airline again at any time.
AircraftE175 /A319 / E190
RouteDUS to FLR via FCO

"thanks to Alitalia"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Due to the ENAV the Air Traffic Control strike our flight from Rome to Palermo April 9th at 10:00 am was canceled and re-booking was set at about 19:30 Saturday night, which was too late for us. I was head of a group of 41 people away to Palermo for an important dance contest. Alitalia later contacted us giving us great news, and they increased the capacity of the flight to Palermo at 14:55, and included our group fell in that departure. Fortunately, with the help of Alitalia we reached Palermo in time for our race and we returned victorious. So thanks to Alitalia.
RouteFCO to PMO
Date FlownApril 2016

"seats narrow and uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Miami to Rome with Alitalia. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable, good thing we requested a seat with leg room so we sat at the emergency exit. If you are 5'9"or taller don't book economy because you will have an uncomfortable flight. The food was ok and edible. The steward and stewardess were very nice.
RouteMIA to FCO
Date FlownApril 2016

"family allocated different seats"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Athens to Rome with Alitalia. We had the bright idea to do a web check in, but the family was allocated different seats. Called Alitalia in Athens to ask if this could be changed as a family with a 3 year old must be seated together, and told that this was a computer allocation and that they would help us at the airport. At the counter we were told they could not help us but as the flight was far from being full they would help us at the gate. And of course at the gate they referred us to the cabing crew who in turn told us that they could not help us and that we should have asked for assistance at the counter! The snack was a mini sandwich with dried meat. On our way back at Fiumicino they could not check the toddler's push trolley like in every other airport and sent us to the airport door with the trolley as there was no other way to check it in. At least they printed a badge to stick on the trolley. (The trolley was promptly delivered at the belt of Athens airport.) At the family check in point at Fiumiccino we had to wait for at least 15 minutes behind a single guest arguing about the price she had to pay for her suitcase. What kind of family check in counter this was only Alitalia knows.
RouteATH to FCO

"the legroom was good"

Flew Alitalia from Amsterdam to Rome Fiumicino and back on a newly refurbished spotless A320 on both sectors. Boarding efficient and orderly, including fair enforcement of priority boarding. I appreciate that Alitalia has not watered down what few benefits SkyTeam silver elites enjoy while KLM and Air France move in the opposite direction. On board, new interiors are a bit retro in style but tasteful. Recaro slimline seats do become uncomfortable, though the legroom was good (I'm 5'11/180cm). Outbound a few minutes early, return a few minutes late due to thunderstorms in Rome, both crews made a point to tactfully speed boarding along to close door on time. Improvements in on-board service the last few months is obvious, flight attendants are more welcoming, friendly and efficient, though a few struggle with English (I asked for red wine three times before being handed white wine). Sandwich to Rome very tasty (multi-layer roasted red pepper, prosciutto, eggplant) but disappointing on return (ham + mild flavourless cheese on a white bun). New magazine design is sharp, but no other entertainment. Overall, I admit I went in with high expectations given the hype of the recent changes, and aside from the inconsistent catering, was pleased enough.
RouteAMS to FCO

"Breakfast was tasty"

Paris CDG to Rome on a refitted A320. Purser welcomed me and welcome drink served. Breakfast was tasty, fresh fruits and really very good. Arrived in FCO, and did the transfer by bus quickly, and once we arrived again on board for the FCO-PMO flight we noticed that the purser was the same. Great flight also from FCO to PMO with crew smiling.
RouteCDG to PMO via FCO

"good food and beverage"

(Italy)

Cagliari to Abu Dhabi via Rome with new business class product. Smooth check in formalities in CAG airport and flights on time. Onboard FCO-AUH flight, the purser greeted me and my family and explained details of the dine anytime service. Good food and beverage, full flat bed, professional flight attendants.
RouteCAG to AUH via FCO