Airline of the Year

Alitalia

"Don't fly with them"

Verified Review | Geneva to Catania via Geneva and I was unable to check-in online. The airline counter at Geneva was only able to check me in until Rome and informed me that I will have to check-in for Catania at Rome. I expressed my anxiousness as to whether the transit desk at Rome will be able to check me in time before the gate closes, to which the person at the counter informed me that I needn't go to the transit desk but go directly to the gate and ask for the boarding pass. At Rome, i ran to the gate, only to be hand waved into going to the transit desk. There was a long queue of passengers ahead of me, and just one person manning the transit desk. After an hour of waiting, with just 10 minutes for the gate to close i was handed a boarding pass that said I was on standby and was asked to join another queue that simply said 'standby list'. With two minutes left to the gate closing, another kind employee of alitalia informed me that I will have to go back to the transit desk and informed me without any explanations that I will not be able to travel on that flight. After standing in a queue for the third time the transit desk guy informed me that there's nothing he could do and asked me to go to the Alitalia counter at arrivals saying they would provide me accommodations and an alternative flight. After standing in that queue for a further 45mins, I was told that I will have to go to the Alitalia counter at departures since apparently this counter could do nothing to help me (why inform me to go there in the first place?). At the queue at the departures counter, after a final wait of a bit more than an hour, I was handed my accommodation voucher and 'dinner' voucher at 1am the next day. Awesome. I arrived at Rome at 8:30pm and had spent 4h30mins standing in lines to nowhere and running between counters, with not so much of an apology. Your plans don't matter. It doesn't matter if you are tired and starving. You are simply one amongst the 100 others that missed Alitalia's flights, because they can't be bothered to have more than one person at any given counter. Don't fly with them or be ready to be in a similar situation :)
RouteGeneva to Catania via Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"service onboard is reduced to a minimum"

(Israel)

Verified Review | The airline is going from worse snd worse. Flew from Rome FCO to Prague. In the past it was a very pleasant experience to fly this Italian brand. They removed all their inflight entertainment systems and now I was surprised their service onboard is reduced to a minimum in regards with the ticket price. They used to serve a nice sandwich and later a snack and variety of drinks. Now on the last 4 flights I have taken with them, they serve only water or cola (no juice) and a small snack. The seats are not clean and stylish anymore and it is no longer nice to fly Alitalia. Their crew are very elegant and professional though.
RouteRome FCO to Prague
Date FlownJune 2017

"quick, smooth, on time flight"

Verified Review | Catania to Rome, Alitalia flight departed and arrived on schedule. The plane was almost full but there was enough overhead bin space for luggage. Each of us had two carry on bags - no extra charge. We were also able to pre-select our seats. The space between the rows was rather tight when the passenger in front decides to recline. Announcements were made in both Italian and understandable English. Flight attendants were efficient. A cup of water or soda was served to all passengers from a trolley. The downside of this flight was that both at departure and at arrival at Rome, the plane was parked at a remote bay necessitating the use of a bus. At Catania one had to walk down two flights of stairs in the open to board the bus. Being in Group 1 did not matter as the passengers were herded into the bus and when we arrived at the plane, everyone rushed out to climb the stairs to the plane! Overall, it was a quick, smooth, on time flight.
RouteCatania to Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"forced to have only 1 carry on"

Verified Review | Milan to Rome. The worst airline and will never fly with this company ever again. The service at check in is horrible and not equal. Some customers are forced to have only 1 carry on, then at boarding you see so many people with 2-3 carry-ons. The policies are not applied fairly. Very very bad airline.
RouteMilan to Rome
Date FlownApril 2017

"they did not make any contact with me"

Verified Review | First the transit hall in Rome was so far away and then when I arrived my luggage was lost. After registering the lost luggage and getting the form on 26 March, until today which is about 2 months passed, they did not make any contact with me anymore and did not inform either they found or want to pay compensation for it. I have sent many email, fax and mail to their customer service in Germany and Italy but no response.
RouteTehran to Frankfurt via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a delay from Casablanca"

(Malta)

Verified Review | Casablanca to Malta via Rome. First we had a delay from Casablanca so we missed the connection. Then the person at the desk of Alitalia which he supposed to book again our connection to Malta he booked and cancelled the booking at the same time. We had a ticket in our hands which was not valid for check in. After more than an hour running from desk to another they decieded to book all of us again but there wasnt enough space for the 5 of us. We were told that if some of the passegers dont show up we can get on the plane. We stayed at the gate till the last moment and some passengers didnt show up because of another delay.
RouteCasablanca to Malta via Rome
Date FlownMay 2017

"has not been any apology"

Verified Review | Paris to Milano. Sad to say that my experience is very dissapointing. I arrived at 6h00 at CDG airport with a scheduled flight at 7h30. After several fail attempts to check into my flight I go to an Alitalia counter. The very nice lady kindly directed me to the Air France counter because my flight was supposedly operated by them. After an hour of looking for my flight, (they could not find my name in the system,) they finally realized that my flight had been changed to an earlier time and I had not been informed of this change. I went to an Alitalia counter at the airport, where I had to deal with a very unpleasant attendant. I was nothing but polite to her when I explained my situation and all she said to me was, "it is 7h05 you would've missed your flight anyway." To which I responded, "yes, because I have been bounced off from counter to counter for the last hour." Without any explanation, or communication, she wrote some numbers on a piece of a paper and said "your new ticket." I asked if my return flight had also changed. Once again, no communication whatsover she wrote more numbers on the piece of paper. I had to once again ask how am I supposed to get my boarding pass, and she said "counter 3, have a nice day." I was the only person in the room, so is not like she had more people to take care of. This all happened at the purchasing tickets counter. Once again, the lady at the check-in counter was nice and gave me my boarding pass. When my second flight finally boarded, ahead of schedule I should point out. They tell us they have "some issues they have to take care of." I do not understand how is it possible for them to board an entire plane and then take care of issues. On top of that, the flight is now 20 minutes delayed. I wrote this entire review sitting on your plane. Perhaps my experience will change after departure, but as of right now, there has not been any apology, or explanation from your crew or company in regards to the time and business of your customers. I understand stuff happens, and sometimes is out of our control. But if your company decides to change a flight and not communicate it with the passengers. They least the attendand could've done was to apologize for the inconvenience.
RouteParis to Milano
Date FlownMay 2017

"Really pleasant flight"

(Italy)

Verified Review | New York to Milan. Really pleasant flight on Alitalia, the in flight Business product is above par. Their lounge in NYC urgently needs a facelift, it looks like being thrown back to the 90s and this impacts the overall image that the airline is trying to build. Boarding was average, only one door used on the 330 to let everyone in so although priority boarding is enforced if you don't arrive immediately then it feels like "everyone in". There has been a discussion over the crew new outfit, I feel it is elegant and looks very Italian. Cabin layout is a staggered 1-2-1 with direct aisle access; seats are extremely comfortable with the new poltrona frau leather cover. The best of Alitalia is inflight service though, sometimes the crew might be not as "friendly" as expected, this time was perfect. Regional Italian food and wines (Friuli Venezai Giulia and Sicily) were really good, served on Frette tablecloth and Richard Ginori china and silverware. Seat was comfortable, IFE maybe slightly short in offering of movies but enough for a 8 hours flight. Amenity kit was large (and it converts into a stylish iPad case), with selection of Bvlgari products. Overall a good experience, I hope new destinations will be served out of Italy so that I can fly Alitalia again.
RouteNew York to Milan
Date FlownMarch 2017

"good way to fly long distance"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Sao Paulo to Rome. Premium Economy with Alitalia is a fabulous product. Excellent legroom, comfortable seat. Food was served on plates not in an economy style carton. Nice touches provided like a liquor and espresso with meal, hot towel before meal. Cabin is separated and feels spacious. As it is separate there is also plenty of overhead luggage space. Food was good. Price was also very reasonable maybe 15% higher than what i would expect to pay for an economy ticket on this route. Very pleased, this is definitely a good way to fly long distance.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSao Paulo to Rome
Date FlownMarch 2017

"I cannot trust this airline"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Flight from Athens to Rome delayed to arrive in Athens. Alitalia said they will catch up time on air trip. On arrival at Fiumicino our connecting flight supposed to have been departed (AZ1759) 3 minutes ago, meanwhile not any records on the departure flight board. Rescheduled to AZ1719 (next flight out) for departure on 03-04-2017 at 21:50. On arrival at Catania airport, my luggage didn't arrive. Spent 2 hours waiting to submit a baggage claims and finally I got my luggage back the next late evening (04-04-2017) while on the early morning of April 5th I was flying back to Athens. Beverages: Only water and orange juice with a small satchel of snack (biscotti or salatini). Service very poor I cannot trust this airline.
RouteAthens to Catania via Rome