Alitalia

Review by (Australia) 5th August 2015

Alitalia has not improved. At Rome airport we had to go to one gate and bus to another gate. When we got there there was no sign that this was the gate for the London flight as the Air Algerie sign for an Algiers was left up. Alitalia staff eventually arrived but didn't change the sign. When I asked a supervising member of staff why this wasn't done, especially considering the gate change, they offered no explanation let alone apology. When I said "no wonder people don't want to fly Alitalia!", his response was "Well why do you?" Customer service at its best! Budget airlines like Easyjet are better. The two hour flight was delayed 1.5 hours. No coffee or tea served on board, only water and juice. No beer or wine available even for purchase. Sloppy non service. Avoid Alitalia at all costs
RouteRome to London

Review by (Italy) 3rd August 2015

Excellent flight, full assistance and great staff. Simple snack with dolce and salato plus drink, but finally very very good flight. Both flights arrived ahead of time.
RouteCagliari to Paris via Milan

Review by (Japan) 3rd August 2015

Delay due to technical reasons little by little increased to six hours. Gate staff in Vienna completely uncooperative, told that rebookings will only be made for international onward flights. At the ticket counter, eventually rebooked to the next morning on Lufthansa. Took two hours to find and give back my bag. Not willing to accommodate any passengers on the other Alitalia flight or any others that day. End of the story: the flight eventually got cancelled around 10 p.m.
RouteVIE to NAP via FCO

Review by (Japan) 3rd August 2015

Flight there cancelled, see earlier review. Return flight connecting to Niki (Air Berlin) in Rome. Could not check in the bag at Napoli before the previous flight to Rome had closed so less time in lounge. Shouted at by rude check in staff with incomprehensible English. Flights delayed due to Rome airport traffic. Actual flight okay, but flight attendants uncoordinated. Needless to say baggage didn't arrive. Agent at lost baggage informed me that this is routinely the case with Alitalia and that it usually takes up to three days to relocate bags.
RouteNAP to VIE via FCO

Review by (United States) 31st July 2015

There was no in-flight entertainment. Even the flight tracker was broken and the display wasn't clear. Our attempts to get the flight attendants attention went unnoticed. I assume they follow processes that have no room for extra customer requests. The flights were great, the pilots did a great job. The planes seemed new, but there was trash in the magazine compartment, with magazines themselves dirty or missing. Overall, not much to do on a cross-atlantic flight, make sure you have your own entertainment. Do not fly through Rome, it's pretty disorganized after their international terminal had a fire (we missed a connection flight), use of overloaded shuttle buses, etc. I would fly again only if it's a much cheaper option.
RouteBoston to Istanbul via Rome

Review by (Italy) 29th July 2015

Excellent food and wine, good overall service with the possibility to eat at a time of your choice. The service is in line with the best European Airlines and better than any North American Airline. In-flight entertainment was good, with wide selection of movies on in-seat monitors. Seats are comfortable and are completely flat for sleeping. Beauty case is given also for daytime flights.
AircraftAirbus 330
RouteVenice to Abu Dhabi

Review by (Canada) 27th July 2015

Both ground crew and flight attendants lack customer satisfaction skills - treat the customer with indifference. Pre-booked seats outbound and inbound only to find they changed seats both ways without any communication. Plane was old and seats were very uncomfortable. Large TV monitors ran down the middle aisle every 6-7 rows and most didn't work properly. Food was mediocre. Terrible, terrible airline. I would never recommend Alitalia.
RouteToronto to Catania via Rome

Review by (Canada) 23rd July 2015

On June 25, 2015 we flew back to Toronto from Rome after a Mediterranean cruise. This flight had been booked in October 2014, and the seats reserved. They changed our seats and put us in the very last row, where the seats don't recline and between 2 toilets. Apparently they can change your seats whenever they want. So we spent nine hours listening to the toilets flush, no windows, could not recline the seats, while the seats in front of us were right in our face. The food was so bad. The plane was an old one, with one small TV screen every 8 rows, and the one closest to us didn't work. We will never fly with this airline again.
RouteRome to Toronto

Review by (Canada) 23rd July 2015

My flight and subsequent experience with Alitalia, was the worst I have had. The flight attendants were rude, they forgot to give me a meal and when reminded, in a polite way, they didn't ever produce a meal. Luckily it was an overnight flight so not essential. On arrival in Rome, this was a direct flight, my luggage was lost / delayed. I spent a week in Tuscany minus any change of clothing, trying to locate the luggage by phoning frequently (several Italian speaking friends also helped me by trying to connect with customer service), to no avail. I was in a remote area, so could not even shop for essentials. When someone finally answered the phone they had no knowledge as to where my suitcase was. At the end of the week, after a spoiled vacation, I still encountered difficulties at the Rome airport. I was sent from one terminal to another, by very disinterested staff. in order to reunite with my luggage. The whole experience left me with a very negative impression of Alitalia and its staff.
RouteToronto to Rome

Review by (Albania) 20th July 2015

I flew from Tirana to London via Rome and in general I was quite happy with the experience. Flight from Tirana to Rome departed on time at 5.45 am. Although it was a short flight of only an hour we were still served snacks and drinks. Same happened from Rome to London City Airport, where I flew on an Embraer plane. On the return flights, due to the whole plane being full, I was forced to book first class, which was actually the first time for me. London-Rome we were served Italian bread with prosciutto and some ice cream. Same from Rome to Tirana. Cabin crew were kind and polite on all four flights. When I entered the Rome-London flight, my seat was dirty and sticky but a cabin attendant cleaned it immediately. I was happy overall.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure