Top 100 Airlines

Alitalia

"seats were mildly uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Flew Alitalia from NYC, JFK to Rome, Fiumicino. Boarding was smoother than anticipated. Crew and flight attendants were kind and welcoming enough. The seats were mildly uncomfortable but the pillow provided made it a bit easier to bear. The selection of movies was very good, with many recent and popular releases. Food was average - a choice of pasta or meat, as was our snack before landing. Offered wine as a drink which I liked. Upon landing, it did take quite some time to get off the plane, shuttle to our correct terminal, and pick up our bags. Overall, for the generally lower price of the ticket, I am pleased with the flight and would use it again.
RouteJFK to FCO
Date FlownMay 2016

"2 out of 4 flights delayed"

Verified Review | During the past week, 2 out of 4 Alitalia flights (London to Rome, and Bucharest to Rome) were delayed by more than 1 hour. Because of this, we missed one connection flight, and we had to stay overnight in Rome. 1 out of 2 pieces of luggage was lost, despite asking in the FCO airport Alitalia representative about it, and being assured that it is loaded. Tried calling London Heathrow office, no answer, website tracking is useless.
RouteLHR to OTP via FCO

"flight very comfortable"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Rome to Budapest return with Alitalia. Flight very comfortable, despite my 185cm in height I had a lot of legroom. We were served a drink and a sandwich, with a choice between meat and vegetarian. Clean plane and new thanks to the restyling of the company.
RouteFCO to BUD

"website didn't work"

(Norway)

Verified Review | Bologna to Rome. I am forced to use Alitalia on domestic flights. I wanted to add two suitcases online before flying - the website didn't work! The android app didn't work. I phoned their service number and after 10 minutes was asked to call another number. The service number charged me 10 euro for nothing. The alternative number answered in the rudest way to call the service number instead. I called back as I now wanted this to work - and having said how bad everything was for me a patient person took care of me and took my credit card details to pay for the two suitcases - the first I was told cost €30 and the second €55 - I said I called because I wanted the internet discount of €20/€44. She had to check and came after a long time back. I now did this to check their incredibly bad performance knowing very well it would be cheaper to pay the full price instead of the expensive telephone. She came back and said they would give me the lower tarif and she took my card details and she said it was OK. I checked afterwards if it was registred on my booking, but the website then told me my booking wasn't found! I gave up to phone back and wasn't sure what to expect at the airport the next day. They did find my booking, but not any mentioning of included luggage. I had to go and pay the full tarif having spent a lot of time and money (almost €30) on phone calls in addition. I have flown domestic in Italy with Vueling twice since then.
RouteBLQ to FCO
Date FlownApril 2016

"I was quite disappointed"

Los Angeles to Rome with Alitalia. I must say I was quite disappointed. First my flight was booked with Delta and given to Alitalia. The seats are small and the entertainment system complicated to use. The food was just okay and no ice on the flight. I had a window seat since I don't get up much and to my surprise this over sized box is attached to seat whch does not allow you to have leg room - this was very uncomfortable. Thank goodness the seat next to me was vacant. I am dreading my return flight home, because I have a window seat again and don't know if I will get so lucky again. The staff were so so, not always as pleasant as they could have been.
RouteLAX to FCO

"clearly back on track"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Brussels to Brindisi via Rome with Alitalia. Clearly the investment from Etihad is working as they have upgraded their product. The cabin received a nice new look. Also a sandwhich is now provided on international flights for free next to soft drinks and wine. Salt or sweet snacks with soft drinks are available for free on domestic flights. Clean modern aircraft both ways. Most of the flights departed with a delay but landed on time except for the Brussels to Rome flight, resulting in not having our check-in luggage at Brindisi. Alitalia is clearly back on track.
RouteBRU to BDS via FCO

"I did not expect much"

Verified Review | I chose to fly with Alitalia to Tokyo as they were the cheapest carrier at the time, and being a student it has to be the cheapest! Due to delay issues, we did not fly out with Alitalia, but flew them on the return from Tokyo to London via Rome. The flight from Tokyo was alright, nothing more nothing less. I did not expect much paying a cheap fare and I would not say it was drastically worse than other economy class on average. Legroom was fairly poor, the entertainment system was a bit outdated and the food was okay except they ran out of choice by the time they reached me. However what do you expect when you pay just over £400 return. So 8/10 for the price paid. Ground service on the way out was awful. We checked in and reached the gate for our outbound flight to Rome. After a delay of an hour we are told that the flight was cancelled. By this stage I knew getting to Tokyo would be awkward as we would miss our connection. Normally an airline will re-route you the quickest route to your destination and often with a partner airline. This did not happen whatsoever. There was a 2 hour wait to get re-routed and once at the front we were told we would be re-routed the following day - no compensation, no food voucher and a hotel night was all that was offered. The staff were rude and did not seem to know what they were doing. I believed they were stressed and waited for everybody to be re-routed then came back to challenge them for a better re-route. After an hour of telling the staff about what Skyteam was and their partnership with other airlines they finally started to look for an earlier flight. However again the staff were clueless and did not know about other routes, it was I looking up flight numbers and partner airlines myself and showing them on my phone that finally got us re-routed on Korean Air via Seoul. Leaving us with an 8 hour delay rather than 24 hours. So Alitalia are worth the price if you know what you are doing when you travel. If you're an anxious traveller or new to flying I would not recommend them purely on the basis that if something goes wrong it would not be a pleasurable experience. Just make sure that if you are ever delayed ensure that you get food vouchers and know of any possible re-routes and ask for one kindly once everybody else has already been re-routed, otherwise their stress = shouting at you and not wanting to help.
RouteNRT to LHR via FCO
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"very pleasant surprise"

Verified Review | Having read reviews of Alitalia, I was a little worried about our flight from Venice to Abu Dhabi. It was a very pleasant surprise. Check-in at VCE could not have been easier or quicker, and the boarding went very smoothly as well. The A330 seats were very comfortable, with good legroom (and I am 6'4"). Cabin crew friendly and helpful. The lunch was very good, with a good selection of wines to accompany. IFE had a wide selection, and was easy to navigate. Arrived early into Abu Dhabi. I would not hesitate to fly Alitalia again, and their A330s are a very comfortable way to fly.
RouteVCE to AUH
Date FlownApril 2016

"Boeing 777 seats really small"

(Italy)

Verified Review | New York to Rome with Alitalia. Ground service is good, polite and helpful staff. The lounge is clean and comfortable. Boeing 777 economy seats are really small and uncomfortable, window seats have some kind of a box under the seat that takes most of the space for your feet. Headrests force you to keep your head in a very uncomfortable position. Seats can barely be reclined. Inflight entertainment not an interesting choice of movies. They don't change movies too often. If you fly within one or two months you still find the same movies. Meals are average. They used to have snacks available in the galley during the flight, but not anymore. Flights are mostly on time. I love the late schedule out of JFK to Rome.
RouteJFK to FCO

"we liked Alitalia"

Verified Review | We flew Dusseldorf to Florence via Rome return with Alitalia, and had four really good flights. The aircraft were tidy, modern and with good seat pitch. Staff has been friendly and professional and was speaking good English. Except for a few minutes all our flights were on time. Onboard you get free softdrinks, beer and wine and a sandwich on the international legs. We liked Alitalia, the value was great and we would choose the airline again at any time.
AircraftE175 /A319 / E190