airBaltic

"fly with some other company"

Verified Review | Hamburg to Riga. I recently had flight from Newark to Riga with connection in Hamburg. Arrived at 6:50AM and my flight was scheduled for 8:50AM, so I had almost 2 hours waited at the gate. I had all documents, did check in Newark, only needed to pick up boarding pass at the gate when someone show up! Couldn't print boarding pass in Newark because United and Air Baltic have no agreement, so they only can confirm your check-in, but boarding pass must be picked up at the gate! When lady show up at 8:15 AM she said I'm not registered - how did I get to Hamburg then? After she said I supposed to get there earlier to get my boarding pass. Earlier? I was there for over an hours and she got there 4 min ago! Then she said flight is overbooked and someone is actually seating on my seat! No apologies and no alternative options. I had to buy tickets with LOT to get to my final destination! I would give them 0 star and never fly with them! When I claimed Air Baltic, they said I did not show up for my flight. In Riga I found out it is normal practice for Air Baltic. Please, save your nerves and money and fly with some other company.
RouteHamburg to Riga

"should be avoided"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Tallinn to Copenhagen via Riga. Airbaltic should be avoided. I've been travelling with airbaltic for the last 8 years without any problems and was a loyal customer but after they started scamming people in the transit area of their home airport in Riga I could not stand but write this review. They allow you to bring 1 bag with you on board at your departure, but then charge you 60 EUR for it at the gate for your next transit flight in Riga. They even hired special staff to do that - 2 ladies checking everyone in the queue to the gate looking for appropriate victim and then telling them to pay. Several people got charged together with me on my last flight. It's pure scam as people had they luggage checked during first flight to Riga, but have no other option but pay 60 EUR at the gate.
RouteTallinn to Copenhagen via Riga
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Perfect short flights"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Vilnius return. These flights were on Boeing 737's with good leg-room and were on time, with friendly cabin crew. Food and drink were available for purchase, and airBaltic accepts cash (euros) so passengers were served more expeditiously (excellent Latvian beer on offer, by the way). Perfect short flights, perfectly done.
RouteAmsterdam to Vilnius
Date FlownJuly 2017

"impressed with cabin interior."

Verified Review | We flew to Riga from Gatwick for a family holiday in June, and used Airbaltic, We were over an hour late due to technical problems with the aircraft at Riga and a change of aircraft was needed. However we were further delayed by the so called ground handling company at Gatwick. This company delayed the already delayed aircraft by not having gate staff on duty at the gate. We left Gatwick nearly two hours late, however we arrived in Riga 45 minutes late, and were able to make our train with about 5 minutes to spare. The aircraft was clean and comfortable. The cabin service was slick and both the cockpit and cabin crew were apologetic for the delay and were able to make up time on the flight to Riga. The prices onboard are reasonable and the range of snacks and drinks very good quality. The return flight was on one of the new CS300 aircraft and I was very impressed with the cabin interior. The seats are in a 2-3 formation and very comfortable. We sat in 7a/c and we were able to use the tray table when the person in front reclined their seat. The cabin has mood lighting and a inhouse monitor about the size of an IPhone in the seat lighting panel. The overhead lockers of a size that would hold 3 standard size cabin bags with ease. Again the cabin service was slick and the crew were happy to upsell extra drinks and food when passing though the cabin. The only negative side to the flight was been held at Riga for 45 minutes due to ATC congestion in the London Area. Both the cabin and cockpit announcements were clear and informative. My only negative comment is the lack of on-board Wi-Fi connection but I did mention this when leaving and was told it is something the airline is looking into has these aircraft the equipment on board but they have not yet switched it on.
AircraftBoeing 737-500 / CS300
RouteGatwick to Riga
Date FlownJune 2017

"Never again flying Air Baltic"

(Lithuania)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Vilnius. One of the worst customer service experiences ever. While boarding my flight from Amsterdam to Vilnius I have informed flight attendant that I am feeling unwell and sked her to look for some medicine to relieve my pain - this 30 seconds conversation was the first and last time I saw the girl. After the plane took off neither herself not her colleagues checked up on me and hasn't offered any medicine. Eventually, it became better but this shouldn't have been ignored. People who travel are far away from home with nobody to turn to so especially in such situations you should be providing some attention and help. There is definitely something wrong with this airline. Never again flying Air Baltic.
RouteAmsterdam to Vilnius
Date FlownJune 2017

"Worst customer service ever"

Verified Review | Rijeka to Tallin via Riga. Worst customer service ever. The flight was delayed 5.5 hours and we were never told - not by email or text, not when we checked in, and not by any personnel. In fact, us grumbling passengers sat at the gate for over an hour past our boarding time before any of us were able to find someone who told us about the long delay. Instead of leaving at 7pm, it was now departing at 1am the next day. Of course I missed my connection and had to eat the cost of the hotel I had reserved on the other end. The airline's compensation? A sandwich and bottle of water. And when 4 hours went by and I asked for another water, I was made to pay for it. I would have gladly drank out of a drinking fountain, but there was none - I was told to get it out of the bathroom faucet.
RouteRijeka to Tallin via Riga
Date FlownMay 2017

"expensive and offers no service"

Verified Review | Never use airBaltic. It is very expensive and offers no service. The only thing they are interested in is to force you to pay them as much money as you only can for some absolutely natural things. My case: I travelled from Hamburg to Moscow via Riga for €338 economy with my cabin baggage. It was 8,3kg and I didn't buy any extra luggage. Nobody told me on my trip to Moscow that my bag is too heavy or oversized. On my way back they started to pretend that the bag is heavier than allowed 8kg (300 grams) and is too big. When I told them, that they must have told me this on my way to the destination, not on my way back they just ignored my remark. I politely asked them to let me take the bag with me to the cabin, as I was short on time to wait for the bag in Hamburg. In a very impertinent manner they refused me. I asked them to let me pay, for the bag but still take it with me to the cabin. They just didn't allow me that although in the first two segments of flight it was no problem. In the end I paid 400€ for economy from Hamburg to Moscow and back with no meal, one luggage and no service.
RouteMoscow to Hamburg via Riga
Date FlownApril 2017

"disadvantage is ancient aircraft"

(Belarus)

Verified Review | Vilnius to Munich with airBaltic on Boeing 737-500. Acceptable service for reasonable price (135 euro RT). Looks like a fair low-cost airline and airBaltic flies to main airports instead of secondary (MUC instead of FMM etc.). Polite and competent crew, quick and efficient online booking and check-in. The main disadvantage is ancient aircraft (Boeing 737-500 was 25 years old and looked very tired).
RouteVilnius to Munich
Date FlownApril 2017

"cramped and not comfortable"

(Estonia)

Verified Review | airBaltic seats are small, there's no reasonable legroom and two really big guys were snoring and almost laying over me. I was cramped and not comfortable. At least, the flight was short. The price for round trip from Tallinn to Riga was over 300 euros, which is really expensive - it was the cheapest class and cheapest everything.
RouteTallinn to Riga
Date FlownJuly 2016

"only had one bad flight"

Verified Review | Having flown with AirBaltic over the past 10 years, and only had one bad flight on the Gatwick to Riga route. This return flight was well above the high standard of the service that the airline operates, however they are let down by the Ground Handling agents at LGW (Gatwick Ground Handling). The boarding of the flight was delayed by 30 minutes due to ground staff leaving a set of doors open on the next gate (33) and a BA 777 been parked on that stand. Hence passengers arriving disembarked via the walk way across gate 32. Which according to the cabin crew is a daily occurrence since the terminal changes at Gatwick, hence we departed 30 minutes late but were able to make up 25 minutes due to the tail wind. Pre ordered meal was good value for money and tasty. The cabin service was slick. The announcements from the cockpit and cabin were clear and informative. The prices onboard were high street prices and good value. The outbound trip was on a half empty plane and the return the plane again was only about 75% full. The return flight I was offered an upgrade at the airport on check in the day before and the service at the Customer Service Desk was excellent. This is the first time I have flown Airbaltic in Business class and was surprised at the level of service offered. Again the food was tasty. Arrival at both airports the formalities were fast and quick I took 15 minutes at Riga and 20 minutes at Gatwick. Due to the problems with the ground service at Gatwick on the outbound flight, I have adjusted the score of Airport Service. However I am due to fly again with the airline on the same route in June and today have received an email telling me that the flight time have been adjusted by 30 minutes.
Aircraftb737500