airBaltic

"Avoid this airline if possible."

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Tallinn via Riga. I have travelled three times with this airline on the Tallinn-Riga-Stockholm route. All three times the flight from Tallinn to Riga has been delayed, causing me to miss my flight from Riga to Stockholm. Air Baltic put me on a later flight, but the wait is usually more than 3 hours. When I write to the airline asking for compensation, they always say no. This is in violation of the European Union's Flight Compensation Regulation 261/2004. So I write to the Consumer Agency in Latvia, they take my case and Air Baltic, reluctantly, pays me compensation. This is not a serious airline. Customer service is dismal; and the airline staff is rude and unfriendly. Avoid this airline if possible.
RouteStockholm to Tallinn via Riga
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Every time is a delay"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Berlin to Riga. Every time I have to flY with Air Baltic is a delay - information is rubbish and in one occasion even after 4 hours delay they insist in not pay even for a bottle of water. One of the worse airlines I have ever had to deal with. If you can avoid please do so.
RouteBerlin to Riga
Date FlownJune 2018

"Do not recommend it"

(Estonia)

Trip Verified | Berlin to Tallinn. Customer service level is unacceptable. Once the airline experiences delays, no apology, explanation given until later on. During the delay (delay that results overnight), no water etc. is given to passengers nor to pets that airline charges a fee for! Refused claim despite the EU regulations. Email is not answered, 10 working days has passed as per their rule. Do not recommend it neither to people nor passengers travelling with animals especially! This is one of the many incidents I have experienced with Air Baltic, therefore, it had to be shared because enough is enough.
RouteBerlin to Tallinn
Date FlownMay 2018

"9 hrs on a overcrowded airport"

Trip Verified | Baku to Amsterdam via Riga with airBaltic. The flights were supposedly 6 hrs total, it was 17 hrs: no explanation, rude staff at transfer Riga, they shoved me off with 2 vouchers for 2 coffee. I waited 9 hrs on a overcrowded airport. No lounge seat. During first flight they were assuring me the connecting flight would wait: not so. They did not even offer water or some food as consolation. Handed in my claim : according to EU regulation 261/2004 AirBaltic is accountable and should pay for my loss of time (i missed out on a meeting on top of it) No response whatsoever. so now I have to hand in my claim to get this case settled.
RouteBaku to Amsterdam via Riga
Date FlownMay 2018

"don’t recommend to fly them"

Not Verified | First time flying with with Air Baltic to Riga from Berlin-Tegel. Received several changes of flight schedules one week before the flight. Tried to ask by calling their customer services related to flight changes but no good solution offered. Nevertheless I accept the flight changes as they are the only one serving the direct route from Berlin-Tegel. They used aircraft CS3000 for both flights and the cabin is clean enough. The seat has large space. The cabin crew was OK und did their duties well. My return flight was cancelled. The Air Baltic Service Management did not provide any clear information related to the delay, compensation and next available flights. I had to change to several lockets to be able to rebook my return flight to Berlin and to get a room at hotel. They also reject the compensation under the EU regulation which is still applicable for the delay of my return flight to Berlin. In my opinion, I don’t recommend to fly with them as its customer service we’re so awful and did not help the passengers much.
AircraftCS3000
RouteBerlin to Riga

"a total disgrace"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Zurich via Riga. The worse flight (including check-in counter) experience I have ever had in my life. AirBaltic has proven by far that they will do anything to take money from you laughing at your face. The staff at Helsinki is absolutely terrible, the cabin luggage policy is a bad joke that should be prohibited (max 8 Kgs). Airbaltic pushed it so far that they deserve an airline category just for them “worse-cost”. Airbaltic and the whole experience is a total disgrace for the entire airline industry.
RouteHelsinki to Zurich via Riga
Date FlownMay 2018

"painfully slow customer service"

Trip Verified | Flew Riga to Kiev. Apart from painfully slow customer service on-board, another deceptive and annoying thing is requirement to pay for adjacent seat allocation within the same booking. I know this tactic has been previously employed by some low costers but it was then pulled due to negative publicity and complaints from customers. Hopefully the same will ultimately happen with airBaltic.
RouteRiga to Kiev
Date FlownApril 2018

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Paris to Riga return last June. Air Baltic lost our 9 year old daughter's luggage, which happens from time to time. That is understandable. We arrived in Riga on a Thursday for a six day trip. It took them until Monday night to get our daughter's bag to us in Old Riga, just a few miles from the airport. She was without shoes or a coat and we put off making purchases, knowing the luggage would be delivered quickly. As each day passed, we were given vague answers and handed off to other people. We ended up having to purchase clothing and toiletries for her, and Air Baltic refused to refund us for the bulk of the purchases, saying they would pay only 40 EUR. I was not upset that they lost our luggage. I am very upset, however that they would not resolve our problem until two days before we were to fly home, then they would not reimburse us for necessary items, and here is is mid March (this happened last July) and we still have not been paid the 40 EUR that they promised. They are treating us like we did something wrong, when we were just innocent customers. I will never do business with them again, even though the flights were fine and fairly priced. Poor customer service continues to haunt us 8 months after they lost our daughter's suitcase.
RouteParis to Riga
Date FlownJune 2017

"never fly airBaltic again"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Hamburg via Riga. Small propeller aircraft, not much space inside. Very impolite staff at Helsinki, checked the hand luggage at the gate very exactly - €60 if it‘s even one more kg than allowed. Fee for choosing a seat even at online checkin. Bought a croissant at €5 - very very small and dry. It seems that they just want to sell as much extras as they can, got several emails with advertisings for that before my flight. And the the ticket wasn’t even cheap. Will definitely never fly airBaltic again.
AircraftDash 8 Q-400
RouteHelsinki to Hamburg via Riga
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Ridiculous cabin baggage rules"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to Riga. Ridiculous cabin baggage rules. 8kg limit for carry-on case, handbag and duty free shopping. Even 1kg over will incur an incredible fee of 60 euros. Clearly something to make more money. Will always go for other options in the future, even if 40-60 euros more, just out of principle. An experience like this is enough to put me off for life.
RouteHelsinki to Riga