airBaltic

Review by (United Kingdom)

I flew a return leg of my journey from Riga back to London on 14th August on airBaltic with my two children (aged 2 and 7). I was informed that because my child is over 2 years old I would need to pay to carry the buggy on board. This was not the case on the London-Riga flight : I was not informed of this condition, nor was I asked to pay any money. The assistant at the check in desk in Riga was rude and unhelpful and stated that this was an error made by the London crew and was accused of being "lucky" in London, but insisted that I would still need to pay 40Euro this time if I wanted to take the buggy for my child. I felt I was being held to ransom - this was an airBaltic error and any other company worth their weight would waive the charge with a smile in view of the fact that their original mistake allowed me to travel with a buggy and this was a return flight home. I insisted to speak to the customer service officer at the airBaltic office in Riga International Airport, who were just as unsympathetic, continued to blame London crew and insisted I paid. I was however given a feedback leaflet and told that I could fill that in if I wanted to voice my concerns over the handling of this situation - not helpful. When I requested to speak to a senior line manager, I was informed that no such person is available, despite me pointing out that this was a Friday - a working day and during office hours. To add insult to injury, the flight crew member actually flicked a "talk to the hand" gesture in my face when I asked her for assistance as myself and the two young children were attempting to settle into our seats! I have been a loyal customer (with PINS) to this company over a decade, electing to fly with this more expensive airline despite many cheaper alternatives available for the same route, but this is the most appalling customer service I have experienced from any company. This unacceptable treatment was most upsetting to me as a parent flying alone with two children. I expect airBaltic to take much better care of its loyal customers, parents with children and on a humane level - any person in their care. Following this incident I shall not be recommending airBaltic.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteRiga to London
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (South Korea)

I was about to fly to Munchen from Tallin via Riga and my baggage allowance was 20kg. First time, When I weigh my baggage it was 22 kg. So they said I need to pay 50 euro more, I repacked again and it was 21 kg - kept saying I needed to pay 50 euro more, I did it again, and it was 20.kg. kept saying, Need to pay 50 euro more. Finally I made it 20.00 kg again and got on the board. I had repacked three times to make it exactly. What a stupid system - they have no flexibility.
RouteTallin to Munchen via Riga
Date FlownNovember 2014

Review by (United Kingdom)

The outbound flight was one of the worst flights I have ever experienced, in over 40 years of flying both as crew and a fare paying passenger. The handling agents (aviator) at LGW tried to charge for a hold bag which had already been paid for. Then the agent concerned to add insult to injury upgraded her friends who were on the flight in front of me at the boarding gate. The cabin crew were rude, surly, and never smiled once during the flight. On the flight the on-board service was rubbish, just fell short of them throwing the food at you. The pre purchased hot meal was over cooked which meant most of the meal was wasted. The cabin crew were a total let down to the airline. However the return flight was different and I cannot praise the cabin crew highly enough, they were friendly, and could not do enough for you. The pre ordered food was excellent and the cabin service was slick and efficient. On the return there were regular updates from the cockpit - outbound there were none only the internal messages to the crew. My advice is be careful when booking as the flight arrival times in Riga can make the outward travel in Latvia expensive or may mean an overnight stop in Riga. Also the airlines fleet of Boeing 737 is fairly old with an average airfame age of 11 years. My rating for the out bound flight LGW-RIX is 0 and for the return flight is 9, so I have given the airline an overall rating of 5/10.
RouteGatwick to Riga
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew LGW to RIX return. Excellent service. Didn't have to put anything in the hold but I have before and I have used their online service to pay for it. This time was a backpack booked myself in online printed my ticket and went straight to security. Flights were all on time and if you want to buy food or drink on board that is available as well. Crew were very friendly. I would indeed fly them again and again.

airBaltic customer review

Review by (United States)

When I fly a budget airlines I expect a budget experience Air Baltic was hardly a budget airline. Between baggage fees and airfare my ticket cost more than if I'd flown Lufthansa. I flew Air Baltic from VNO to LGW via RIX. The people on the Vilnius-Riga leg were friendly enough but the system for check in was ridiculous. I was traveling on a business class ticket which meant I was allowed 2 pieces of hand luggage even according to the sign at check-in. Yet the woman insisted that I was only permitted one. I also knew I might have to pay for my checked bags. Fine but simply printing my boarding passes took roughly 35 minutes from the time I got to the counter. The woman at check in had to call someone else to get prices even though I knew it was €40 per bag. Then another woman had to come down to take my payment. She came but then had to leave before taking my payment. I was asked to wait for her to come back. I finally got my boarding passes but was still waiting to pay. After waiting for about 15 minutes they told me to go up to the ticketing office to pay there. So I went upstairs and stood in line for another 45 minutes. There was only one woman working. I felt bad for her but she was incredibly slow. There was no priority given to large number of people who had to pay and still get through security. Instead she handled lengthy non-time sensitive matters first. By the time I made it out of the ticketing office the security line was horrendously backed up. I barely made it through security in time. Again people were friendly on the plane but the aircraft was old and didn't look particularly well maintained. On top of that the landing in Riga was one of the worst I have experienced in quite some time. Do yourself a favor if you can and fly another airline.

Review by (New Zealand)

I recently travelled from Budapest to Riga and found the whole experience totally unprofessional and unacceptable. I had to pay additional fees for check in and baggage which I have never experienced before. The plane was old the service was terrible. I will never fly with them again. The attitude of the staff was terrible with little or no explanation. Stay away do not fly with these people.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Having recently flown from London Gatwick to Riga and on to St Petersburg and returned. I can honestly say this is the worst airline I have encountered. Not for the plane or cabin staff or indeed punctuality. But by their shambolic systems and un-user friendly attitude rules and regulations. Otherwise have illustrated their ludicrous check in policy/costs and exorbitant charges in more and better detail than I as a transfer passenger you are simply left to your own devices and ignored. If there is an alternative to wherever you wish to fly to please take it.

Review by (Belgium)

I flew from BRU-RIX-HEL-RIX-BRU between Dec 29 and Jan 5th. If flying with them I would recommend familiarizing yourself with their baggage policies especially if booking via eDreams because it is not pointed out very conspicuously. I ended up paying nearly 80 Euros for my baggage which I thought was included in the ticket price. My ticket cost about the same as my SK flights between BRU and HEL during the same period last year which included one checked bag. They are also anal retentive about the 20kg limit. My suitcase weighed 218 kg and the check in clerk made me remove stuff to get it under the 20kg limit. This really makes no sense for two reasons. 1) It went in my hand luggage which was transported on the same aircraft. The 1.9 kg that went in my hand luggage was unlikely to put the 737 over its MTOW. 2) It encourages oversized hand luggage. There was no enforcement of the 8kg and max physical size rule. On a small aircraft like a Dash-8 this can create huge problems in the event of an evacuation. My transit experience at their home base of RIX was absolutely fine. There were more than adequate food options which for the EU were reasonably priced. Very good free wifi as well. I had to stay at the airport overnight for my connection to BRU and found some very comfortable leather couches in one of the bar areas which was kept open overnight. On the return flight I was confused as to how they picked their aircraft choice. Jumping the puddle from HEL-RIX was done using a Boeing 737. However flying the 2hr 40mins from RIX-BRU was completed inside a Dash 8 puddle jumper. This is illogical. The seats were cramped for this length of flight and this was quite possibly the first time in my life that I did not at least enjoy the 'flying' portion of a flight. While the cabin crew was friendly and professional and the aircraft were for all intents and purposes spotless I don't think I would recommend the airline. When I added up the hassles over baggage and the extra fees I could have easily flown SK for the same price. Air Baltic needs to either be slightly more flexible in its baggage policies or lower their ticket prices significantly. For a LCC it is overpriced.

Review by (United Kingdom)

Before booking with them I'd read the reviews here and was in two minds whether to fly with them or not. I booked LGW to RIX and after a long weekend in Riga booked onwards to LED. The only hiccup I had was the online check-in for my Gatwick to Riga flight but an email was responded to promptly and the problem sorted. Both flights were totally hassle-free the price was right staff were friendly and attentive and I have no complaints whatsoever. Even the onboard snack and drinks selection I didn't find particularly expensive.

Review by (Finland)

I was flying with my 13 year old son from Milan to Helsinki via Riga 17th Oct 2014 flight BT630. There was a passenger who obviously had consumed considerable amount of alcohol and was behaving aggressively and disturbed us. The cabin crew continued serving more alcohol to him. The head of the crew did not offer any help to us but instead of offering to change seats. Me and my son were extremely upset and disappointed with the staff.