airBaltic

"Absolutely not helpful"

Verified Review | Gatwick to St Petersburg via Riga. Unreasonable rip off! The strategy is simple. Hand luggage is max 8 kilos. Cameras shall be in, can't be on you. So if you are 3 kg over, they insist you repack to check in bag your extra weight. Suddenly your 20 kg bag is 23 kg. and it becomes a heavy bag. What is normally heavy in other airlines is 30 kg and above. Heavy bag costs 43£ extra (London to Riga . Paying by kilos is not an option. Provided I already paid for premier is absolutely nasty price. On top of it customer service is really bad. I asked if I can pay but dont repack as my all hand luggage is photo cameras, which are retro and fragile. No way supervisor allowed me to do that. Absolutely not helpful. With all the amounts combined, can fly much better airline with this money. "Fragile" sticker was a piece of the sticker that is normally used to check the bag and print barcode. They just took and empty one, took a normal school pen, not even anything that writes thick, and wrote "fragile". Hoping that would be noticed and taken into account is delusional.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteGatwick to St Petersburg via Riga
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"harassed at the gate"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Minsk to Helsinki via Riga. The flight went otherwise well, but I wanted to point out unnecessary and behaviour of a airBaltic gate staff at Riga airport. I was told at the gate to put my bag in the rack to test my bag size. I had to gently push it in because of the handles. However, this was not enough for the airBaltic employee. He repeated three times, that the bag needs to go "easy in, easy out". I felt I was harassed at the gate, and wasn't allowed to take the bag to the cabin (checking in the bag was free). The point is the bag needs to fit to the cabin compartment, as it does. If it fits the rack and takes a few millimetres of more space perhaps, I felt that it wasn't enough for this arrogant behaviour and getting a customer upset. I think this experience is very telling about the company's culture, values and attitude towards its customers.
AircraftDash 8
RouteMinsk to Helsinki via Riga
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"service goes down over time"

Verified Review | Brussels to Riga. Their service goes down over time. On my last trip to Riga they have lost my luggage again, even though their rep has confirmed the luggage has been tracked OK in Brussels. Upon the arrival company’s agent in Riga did not have a clue where my bags were. Multiple calls to baggage claim department have helped to receive my luggage after four days. However, one of them was ripped out, no plastic wrap. I have dropped off at their head office in the airport, but Customer Service rep has refused to meet in person to explain the situation.
RouteBrussels to Riga
Date FlownAugust 2017

"said they could do nothing"

(Georgia)

Verified Review | Poor Service. We had flight from Tbilisi to Paris via Riga with a connection timer of 40mins. Airplane arrived on time, but we were waiting about 15 minutes for the loading stairs, we also wasted time in the queue in passport control, we arrived at the gate and the gate was close. Airplane departed after 20 minutes after we showed up. airBaltic said they could do nothing. There was so many people with the same case. Nobody was listening to us and was offering us to buy new tickets from Riga to Paris for 300 EUR, without baggage. They even did not offered us any kind of discount for new ticket, finally we bought new tickets from Finnair. Try to save your nerves and money and not try to buy tickets from AirBaltic.
RouteTbilisi to Paris via Riga
Date FlownJuly 2017

"fly with some other company"

Verified Review | Hamburg to Riga. I recently had flight from Newark to Riga with connection in Hamburg. Arrived at 6:50AM and my flight was scheduled for 8:50AM, so I had almost 2 hours waited at the gate. I had all documents, did check in Newark, only needed to pick up boarding pass at the gate when someone show up! Couldn't print boarding pass in Newark because United and Air Baltic have no agreement, so they only can confirm your check-in, but boarding pass must be picked up at the gate! When lady show up at 8:15 AM she said I'm not registered - how did I get to Hamburg then? After she said I supposed to get there earlier to get my boarding pass. Earlier? I was there for over an hours and she got there 4 min ago! Then she said flight is overbooked and someone is actually seating on my seat! No apologies and no alternative options. I had to buy tickets with LOT to get to my final destination! I would give them 0 star and never fly with them! When I claimed Air Baltic, they said I did not show up for my flight. In Riga I found out it is normal practice for Air Baltic. Please, save your nerves and money and fly with some other company.
RouteHamburg to Riga

"should be avoided"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Tallinn to Copenhagen via Riga. Airbaltic should be avoided. I've been travelling with airbaltic for the last 8 years without any problems and was a loyal customer but after they started scamming people in the transit area of their home airport in Riga I could not stand but write this review. They allow you to bring 1 bag with you on board at your departure, but then charge you 60 EUR for it at the gate for your next transit flight in Riga. They even hired special staff to do that - 2 ladies checking everyone in the queue to the gate looking for appropriate victim and then telling them to pay. Several people got charged together with me on my last flight. It's pure scam as people had they luggage checked during first flight to Riga, but have no other option but pay 60 EUR at the gate.
RouteTallinn to Copenhagen via Riga

"Perfect short flights"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Vilnius return. These flights were on Boeing 737's with good leg-room and were on time, with friendly cabin crew. Food and drink were available for purchase, and airBaltic accepts cash (euros) so passengers were served more expeditiously (excellent Latvian beer on offer, by the way). Perfect short flights, perfectly done.
RouteAmsterdam to Vilnius
Date FlownJuly 2017

"impressed with cabin interior."

Verified Review | We flew to Riga from Gatwick for a family holiday in June, and used Airbaltic, We were over an hour late due to technical problems with the aircraft at Riga and a change of aircraft was needed. However we were further delayed by the so called ground handling company at Gatwick. This company delayed the already delayed aircraft by not having gate staff on duty at the gate. We left Gatwick nearly two hours late, however we arrived in Riga 45 minutes late, and were able to make our train with about 5 minutes to spare. The aircraft was clean and comfortable. The cabin service was slick and both the cockpit and cabin crew were apologetic for the delay and were able to make up time on the flight to Riga. The prices onboard are reasonable and the range of snacks and drinks very good quality. The return flight was on one of the new CS300 aircraft and I was very impressed with the cabin interior. The seats are in a 2-3 formation and very comfortable. We sat in 7a/c and we were able to use the tray table when the person in front reclined their seat. The cabin has mood lighting and a inhouse monitor about the size of an IPhone in the seat lighting panel. The overhead lockers of a size that would hold 3 standard size cabin bags with ease. Again the cabin service was slick and the crew were happy to upsell extra drinks and food when passing though the cabin. The only negative side to the flight was been held at Riga for 45 minutes due to ATC congestion in the London Area. Both the cabin and cockpit announcements were clear and informative. My only negative comment is the lack of on-board Wi-Fi connection but I did mention this when leaving and was told it is something the airline is looking into has these aircraft the equipment on board but they have not yet switched it on.
AircraftBoeing 737-500 / CS300
RouteGatwick to Riga
Date FlownJune 2017

"Never again flying Air Baltic"

(Lithuania)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Vilnius. One of the worst customer service experiences ever. While boarding my flight from Amsterdam to Vilnius I have informed flight attendant that I am feeling unwell and sked her to look for some medicine to relieve my pain - this 30 seconds conversation was the first and last time I saw the girl. After the plane took off neither herself not her colleagues checked up on me and hasn't offered any medicine. Eventually, it became better but this shouldn't have been ignored. People who travel are far away from home with nobody to turn to so especially in such situations you should be providing some attention and help. There is definitely something wrong with this airline. Never again flying Air Baltic.
RouteAmsterdam to Vilnius
Date FlownJune 2017

"Worst customer service ever"

Verified Review | Rijeka to Tallin via Riga. Worst customer service ever. The flight was delayed 5.5 hours and we were never told - not by email or text, not when we checked in, and not by any personnel. In fact, us grumbling passengers sat at the gate for over an hour past our boarding time before any of us were able to find someone who told us about the long delay. Instead of leaving at 7pm, it was now departing at 1am the next day. Of course I missed my connection and had to eat the cost of the hotel I had reserved on the other end. The airline's compensation? A sandwich and bottle of water. And when 4 hours went by and I asked for another water, I was made to pay for it. I would have gladly drank out of a drinking fountain, but there was none - I was told to get it out of the bathroom faucet.
RouteRijeka to Tallin via Riga