Airline of the Year

AirAsia X

"was a great travel experience"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Perth. Best low cost airline. On time departure, nice clean aircraft, excellent options in food and beverage, staff with excellent service attitude, decent pitch between seats. It was a great travel experience at a very low cost, excellent value. I will travel and recommend Air Asia anytime
RouteKuala Lumpur to Perth
Date FlownApril 2017

"Premium flatbed is great"

Verified Review | Flew premium flatbed from Perth to Kuala Lumpur then A320 onto U-Tapao. Premium flatbed is great. Not exactly flat and if you're 183cm tall like me your feet do hang off the end of the foot rest but a huge improvement over economy. 1 small bottle of water provided plus another with the pre-booked (included) meal. Meals are large and tasty for a budget airline. Tablet provided free with movies/TV etc but a rather limited choice. Alcohol, soft drinks and additional food can be purchased. The 2 centre seats are probably best as you do not have to clamber over people to use the restroom and row 1 they seem to have more leg room than the other seats due to the position of the bulkhead. For night flights row 2 is probably more preferable as the light from the galley can be bothersome in row 1 although it is turned off after main service. Provides complimentary access to Premium Red Lounge which is OK. Limited complimentary food and drink offerings but it's somewhere to relax. Smaller planes do not have flatbeds (A32x) but you can sit in row 1. Booking on 1 ticket does allow "fly-thru" meaning luggage automatically goes to final destination and you don't need to pass through Malaysian immigration. However, sometimes this works out considerably more expensive than booking the 2 flights separately, but then you do have to pick up luggage, pass through immigration and re-check-in for next flight. I did this on my return and was a bit of a faff but did save me nearly $150 compared to "fly-thru" on the 1 ticket. All up for the price I paid it was very good and I would fly again in a heartbeat if prices remain competitive.
AircraftA330-300 / A320
RoutePerth to U-Tapao via Kuala Lumpur

"wouldn't recommend it"

Verified Review | Xi'an to Kuala Lumpur. It was an overnight 5 hr flight and we purchased Premium Flatbed class. The tickets included meals as a separate line item. We checked in online but were told to check in again in the airport. The check-in counter for Premium class was very slow. Once in the aircraft we had one bottle of water each next to our seats and nothing else was offered. In flight service in general was non-existent. Flatbeds were great. It was first experience when the airline neglected to provide part of the service. Most likely, we would never fly AirAsia X again and wouldn't recommend it.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteXi'an to Kuala Lumpur

"pre-record your messages"

Verified Review | Perth to Siem Reap return via Kuala Lumpur. I always fly with ear plugs in my ears and I recommend anyone who doesn't have hearing loss to consider purchase these before flying with them. There are non-prerecorded announcements occuring approximately every 45 minutes on a typical 5.5 hour flight. The volume of the announcements is set to a level that is painful and wakes you from your sleep even if you have hearing protection. The food is not bad and they run on time. But please just turn the volume down, dim the lights more and pre-record your messages so we can actually enjoy travelling on you more often.
AircraftA330 / A320
RoutePerth to Siem Reap via KL
Date FlownApril 2017

"I'd book with them again"

Verified Review | Flew AirAsia X from Sydney to Kuala Lumpur to Phuket then the same on the return. Planes were new and in great condition, all flights bar a little turbulence were smooth and I am not a good flyer. You want a bargain price with good decent planes I recommend AirAsia, I was hesitant in booking with them and after 4 flights in their planes I'd book with them again at their prices.
AircraftA330 and A320
RouteSydney to Phuket via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownApril 2017

"no need for such rudeness"

Verified Review | Flew from Kuala Lumpur to Taipei. Arrived at the airport 2 hours before the flight and hard the announcement that we had to proceed to a check-in counter immediately. Walked to the counter but no one was there and the 'closed' sign was up. When the attendant finally appeared, I asked what the urgency was or if the flight time had been changed. This was out of curiosity as both our flight to and from Bali the previous week had been delayed. The attendant immediately gave a very curt reply "your check-in time closes at 9.00 and if you're late, we cannot be responsible". There was no need for such rudeness. I then pointed out that passengers should not be summoned to a counter simply to find it closed. Her reply was, "well, we can't satisfy everyone". Ironically, it was all for nothing as I am now sitting at the gate 40 minutes past the stated boarding time and there is no movement. Undoubtedly, it will be our third Air Asia flight in 10 days to be delayed. I should also add that even when some of the reviews mention the delightful array of food on offer, there is almost certainly no chance that you will get your choice if you haven't pre-order.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Taipei
Date FlownApril 2017

"much cheaper than other airlines"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Auckland via Gold Coast. This was my first time to Auckland, and I decided to take AirAsia X as the fares were much cheaper than other airlines servicing the route even though their flights were direct. It was a pleasant flight and the landing at both airports were good. One thing which bothered me, though, was the checking of bags and belongings at OOL. The food that I ordered was a bit overcooked. Other than that, it was perfect.
RouteKUL to AKL via OOL
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"flight was not that full"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Auckland to Kuala Lumpur with a short stopover at Gold Coast. The flight was not that full, and the plane was able to depart 5 minutes early. The flight was smooth all the way until a few hours before landing, turbulence was evident but the captain was able to minimise it. This time, the food that I ordered (roast chicken with stuffing and cranberry gravy) was really dry, and the accompanying vegetables were unpalatable. Landing at KUL was a bit bumpy.
RouteAKL to KUL via OOL
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"seamless transfers through KLIA2"

Verified Review | Sydney to Cochin via Kuala Lumpur with AirAsia X. Was pleasantly surprised by the legroom offered on both the aircraft. Their punctuality is to be praised. Pleased with the selection of food and beverages available for purchase, that too at a very reasonable price. AirAsia X offers good connections to Asia from Australia, with seamless transfers through KLIA2. Would highly recommend for budget travelers.
AircraftA330 / A320
RouteSYD to COK via KUL
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"FA serving my row was most friendly "

Verified Review | Been through flying AirAsia X more than 15 times and service can be inconstant. On my recent flight from Auckland to Gold Coast, the flight was barely half full for the evening flight, so we departed early, After the seatbelt signs turn off the cabin staff did not appear until about an hour later starting the meal services. The pre-booked meal out of Auckland was overcooked, bland and small portion. They didn't give a set of plastic cutlery, instead only giving the spoon for the meal. When asking the knife and fork one of the FA reply that the meal only need spoon and we have deficient for the fork for this flight. A complimentary mineral water was not served until asking them. At Gold Coast we disembark with stairs and after the transit check we board again with new set of crew, for this 7hr 50 flight , a lovely Australian or New Zealand FA serving my row was most friendly that I have had encounter with - she kneeled down when interacting with every passenger.
RouteAKL to KUL via OOL