AirAsia X

Review by (Australia)

Not a bad airline as long as nothing goes wrong. However if your baggage goes missing or your plane breaks down and you consequently miss your connection due to a 4 hour delay, you are on your own. Do not expect any assistance whatsoever. I have contacted the airline directly concerning this matter and this was their reply, "Please be informed that AirAsia is point-to-point carrier and does not encourage connecting flights and same condition with your check-in baggage." As a result, if you must catch connecting flights, I would not recommend AirAsia.
RouteGold Coast to Denpasar via Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Australia)

Very smooth flight. Food pretty good for a low cost carrier. The usual comfortable but not quite flat AAX Business class. Most acceptable for the price. Attentive flight attendants, with a sense of humour. The early morning coffee (for a small charge) is an improvement. Two issues. I have problems seeing why we checked in online. It doesn't seem to speed things up. Our Business class check in was extremely slow. AAX should have a look at the system used by Hong Kong Express, also a low budget carrier. If you fly from KLIA2, be aware that it is a looong walk to the departure gates. It woild be easy to miss planes by assuming they were the usual distance from Customs and Security check points.
AircraftA 300
RouteKL to Melbourne
Date FlownJune 2015

Review by (Malaysia)

Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo Haneda. A full flight with mostly Japanese passengers, delay for 30 minutes but managed to arrive on schedule. Meal is ok and limited legspace, but bring your entertainment devices to keep up the time. Great choices as HND is near city. I noticed that seat 45A onwards the cabin is hot.
AircraftA330-300
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteKUL to HND
Date FlownOctober 2014

Review by (Malaysia)

Flew Kuala Lumpur to Chengdu D7326 (Gate Q14-KLIA2). Completely full flight with mostly Chinese travellers. Seat 46G, overall a normal flight with satisfactory product offer. Arrive on-time and meal is just ok.
AircraftA330-300
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteKUL to CTU
Date FlownJune 2015

AirAsia X customer review

Review by (United Kingdom)

Flew from Gold Coast (OOL) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) on the 13th May 2015. I had booked a flight from Sydney to KL, but the flight was cancelled a month prior to departure with no explanation given. They shifted me to a flight that would have left me stranded in Kuala Lumpur, unable to catch my connecting flight to Europe. However, they did offer me a full refund, which was processed quickly and efficiently. As I was based in northern New South Wales at the time, I booked a flight from Gold Coast instead. The online check-in was quick, however I was placed in a middle seat. On board the plane, let's just say I was lucky enough to have some pretty powerful sleeping pills. The Economy seating on the A330 was cramped and narrow - something which you don't want when you're 6'1" tall. Additionally, you have to pay for entertainment - something you don't usually expect on a 9-hour flight. The cabin crew could not make themselves clearly understood either. I will say a few good things about the airline, though. I had ordered a nasi lemak when I booked the flight - this is unbelievably delicious and thoroughly recommended. Also, AirAsia X is incredibly good value for money. In conclusion, I would recommend AirAsia X, so long as you have patience and the gumption to pre-order food.
AircraftAirbus A330
RouteGold Coast to Kuala Lumpur
Date FlownMay 2015

Review by (Australia)

D7 212 KUL-MEL. Check-in at KLIA2 is very efficient. Boarded on time but a technical fault with the APU resulted in a 45 minute delay. Once underway the meal service was slightly chaotic though everyone did get their pre- booked meals in a reasonable time. Cabin crew appeared slightly flustered for a lot of the time. Crew friendly and helpful though. Seats are undeniably narrow (16.5 inches) but seat pitch no worse than most at 32 inches (and 2 inches better than Jetstar's Dreamliner). Definitely recommend paying the bit extra for a 'hot seat' with extra legroom (I had 17C). The Quiet Zone seats are rubbish.. Same seating as further back and whilst there are no children in this forward cabin there are still plenty of loud adults. Much better to select a bulkhead hotseat and stretch out there. Overall a reasonable flight at a fantastic price!

Review by (Australia)

I flew to Melbourne from Bali with Air Asia Indonesia X on 21 March 2015. This price included 20 kg of checked in luggage a meal and a small bottle of water. AA ground staff and software need to be improved. When I boarded the plane I found a man sitting in my seat. I showed him my boarding pass and he showed me that he also had a boarding pass for the same seat! I waved to the flight attendant and she came over and told me to wait. After five minutes she returned with a passenger list and sent the man to another seat. There is no entertainment available on an Air Asia Indonesia X Airbus A330 plane. Seat width and legroom are also tight. As the flight was only one third full many passengers were able to sleep spread out over three seats. The Air Asia Indonesia X plane left on time and arrived punctually in Melbourne. Overall I prefer to fly in a Jetstar Boeing Dreamliner rather than an Asia Indonesia X Airbus A330.

Review by (Australia)

Flew SYD-KUL 7/3 quiet zone and Business return on 23/3. You pay for what you get but compared to 6/12 months ago no choice in drink selection or snacks and prices have increased dramatically. Business class toilet had toilet rolls as tissues soap dispenser leaked and staff could not fix it. Suddenly it appeared that supplies were limited or restricted by the suppliers? No lounge at KLIA2 (being repaired). The full service MAS is appearing more attractive now as prices are becoming closer.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy

Review by (Australia)

I travel quite frequently between PER and KUL and in last six months on several trips I have been moved to other flights causing much disruptions/inconvenience to planned bus/train connections. I have a trip coming up in about four weeks and discovered (through manage by bookings) that they have moved me to other flights again. They have not even notified me by email/sms.

Review by (South Korea)

Flew from Incheon to Melbourne return via KL. Overall I was satisfied with this airline for the price I paid although by the time you pay for the extras you want you don't end up saving that much compared to a full service airline. All the flights were on schedule or ahead of schedule. The staff were all efficient professional and friendly. The cabin on the last leg of the journey felt very cold and so I had to pay to rent a blanket. The flights were smooth and I was pleased to get updates from the pilot about our flight - you don't get this with Chinese airlines. The meals that I pre-purchased were tasty but don't bother with the 'maximize you meal' stuff it's just a bit of sugary rubbish. The transfers at the new KLIA2 airport were smooth and the terminal there is very good.