Top 100 Airports

AirAsia X

"legroom better than some legacy carriers"

(Malaysia)

Kuala Lumpur to Taipei. Overall, a good product. Both flights left on time and landed ahead of schedule. Frequent announcements and updates from the cockpit. Seats are OK, surprisingly legroom was better than some legacy carriers. Cabin crew was generally nice and smiling, but looked quite tired on the return leg. Planes new, but leather seats on the return flight looked worn-out. The tickets were incredibly cheap. Would fly again but not on flights longer than 5-6 hours as you need to pay for everything onboard and, of course, there is no IFE.
RouteKUL to TPE
Date FlownAugust 2016

"efficient and no-nonsense"

Verified Review | Flying Sydney to Delhi, the shortest route is the non-stop service by Air India totaling about 13 hours at a little more than AUD 3,500 per passenger. Air Asia X was the next best route with 14.5 hours inclusive of the stopover in KUL and compared to Air India was offering a price of AUD 1463 per passenger in its Premium Flatbed. Air Asia X departs at a convenient 10.55 am from Sydney and post transit through Kuala Lumpur arrives into New Delhi by 10.00 pm. It was suitable for us as we had enough time to have breakfast at our hotel next to Sydney Airport and allowed us to rest or read through most of our flight. Entitlements: Booking with Premium Flatbed, offers the opportunity to, grab your preferred seat at no extra cost, checked luggage entitlement of 40kg and select one complimentary meal with a bottle of mineral water. Check-In: Dedicated lane is available for passengers travelling in Premium Flatbed. Since Australia requires one to have a Boarding Pass issued by the airline, there is no option to pre-print a boarding pass. Staff at check-in are efficient, however there was one gentleman who bothered us by asking us multiple times if we were travelling Premium Flatbed. There were only 2 Air Asia flights at that time with just 5 passengers in Premium Flatbed. How difficult is it to remember faces? Luggage was checked-in all the way through to New Delhi and we carried one small suitcase and two bags on board. Air Asia X as a part of its service design does not offer a lounge. Boarding: SYD had a dedicated lane for Premium Flatbed passengers. This is where the gentleman we met at check-in decided to ask us again if we were Premium Flatbed passengers. Air Asia X operates out of the Low Cost Carrier Terminal KLIA 2 at Kuala Lumpur. At KUL we were required to clear security twice, at the Transit Point and then just as we entered the access-way to the gates. Do look out for the gate numbers carefully as they are not in serial order as one might expect. You are required to wait at the boarding gate until the Air Asia X staff verify your Boarding Pass and Passport, prior to letting you into the Gate Area. Boarding in KUL is chaotic at best. In spite of being the base of operations for Air Asia X, there is no dedicated lane for boarding of Premium Flatbed and no announcements are made. On-board: Efficient and no-nonsense unless you want to purchase food and beverages on board. Blankets and pillows are placed on the seat as passengers arrive, along with a bottle of water. There is ample luggage space in the overhead bins. Post take-off, they offer to serve the pre-booked meal in 20 minutes or whenever the passenger finds it convenient. We flipped through the onboard menu and ordered Sparkling Wine. They accept foreign currency, however any balance amount would be paid back only in Malaysian Ringgit and since that was quite cumbersome, we decided to charge to our Credit Card. A minimum order of 30MYR is required for payment by Credit Card. The pre-booked meals were served hot and were promptly cleared and window shades pulled down. The in-flight entertainment system has to be pre-booked and is quite basic. Recommend loading your tablet or computer with entertainment. An international charging point is available at each seat. Arrival: At KUL, the aero-bridge was attached to the middle of the aircraft, hence no priority exit for Premium Flatbed, which wasn't the case in DEL. Baggage arrived promptly at DEL and we were out within an hour of arrival.
RouteSYD to DEL via KUL

"I was very impressed"

Verified Review | I travelled with my family from Sydney to Yangon via Kuala Lumpur and return with AirAsia X. The SYD-KUL legs were on an A330 while the KUL-RGN legs were on an A320. This was our first time on AirAsia and it was primarily due to the substantial cost saving. Although I travel extensively (around 20 international trips per year) for work I generally do not fly low cost carriers. Our experience with AirAsia was very interesting to me. We had four sectors and all sectors were serviced by good aircraft. All four sectors work perfectly on time and the cabin crew were very good. You do need to buy food and a beer but after saving approximately $2000 on the airfares I was not too concerned about this. There is no in-flight entertainment but even on premium airlines I invariably use my own iPad in any event. We were able to check our luggage all the way from Sydney to Yangon via the new terminal in Kuala Lumpur which is not always possible on low-cost carriers. All in all (although my expectations were modest) I was very impressed by the overall level and quality of service.
AircraftA330, A320
RouteSYD to RGN via KUL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"it is a reliable airline"

Verified Review | We've used AirAsia X many times as it is a reliable airline, offering standardised service. Flew from Kuala Lumpur to Perth. We book in the quiet zone. For just a little extra cost, we've always had the seat between us for free, so actually it works out a great price for what we get, it offers much better quietness and comfort than full service airlines. Usually we check in one large piece of luggage between us and take on hand luggage each. That works well. My partner needs a wheelchair in some of the larger airports. That has usually worked out well. We buy a couple of packs each of the chicken satay online, and take some salad and fruit onboard. That makes a better meal that many of the full service airlines offer.
RouteKUL to PER
Date FlownJuly 2016

"the flight was fantastic"

I have just returned from Bali flying AirAsia X direct from Sydney, the flight was fantastic, cabin was clean, service for a LCC was brilliant the crew the so kind to us, pre booked meals were delicious and other menu items priced well. It's such a shame they are stopping Sydney to Bali flights soon, I would have continued to use them if not. Thanks AirAsia for a great trip
RouteDPS to SYD
Date FlownJune 2016

"highly recommend"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Late night flight from Kuala Lumpur to Melbourne with AirAsia X in Premium class. For this ticket, you get 40 kgs luggage allowance and one free meal. On boarding, they ask you if you would like your meal after take off or just before arrival. This was a nice touch as the flight left at 1030pm so you could go straight to sleep and to have breakfast before landing. FAs were pleasant and accommodating at all times. They give you a large pillow and a comfy duvet for sleep. The premium seat is angled flat which was actually very comfortable and wide, and I am a big guy. I would highly recommend this airline for their premium class product. My only negative observation was that the plane looked a little dated.
RouteKUL to MEL
Date FlownMay 2016

"I got what I paid for"

(New Zealand)

Flew AirAsia X in March from Auckland via Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur in Economy with confirmed Optiontown 3 seats. Worth the extra NZ$65 to get a whole row to myself. Also went with the flexible ticket which gave me premium check in at Auckland. On the return I flew Bali to Sydney in Premium Flatbed which was not flat and I found myself slipping down so my feet supported my body. Quite comfortable nevertheless. Overall, I got what I paid for although despite having a prebooked meal on the AKL to OOL sector it wasn't available and I had to have something else - not best pleased with the alternative offered. Ground services in AKL and in DPS were both good with friendly check in.
RouteDPS to SYD
Date FlownApril 2016

"Quiet Zone was again a boon"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | AirAsia X recently began service from Kuala Lumpur to Auckland. We booked two tickets on the launch fare of MYR 998 return and after adding the checked in luggage, seats in the Quiet Zone as well as meals, the tickets came up to just under MYR 1,500 per person, roughly half the cost of a ticket on an Emirates flight via Melbourne. The outbound flight departed and arrived on schedule. Check in at KLIA2 was swift as we were there about 3 hours before departure. Transit at Gold Coast Airport was about 3 hours, and it was quite tolerable. We had to go through another security screening before we are allowed into the transit area. On arrival in Auckland, the checked in luggage was delivered without any undue delay. Inflight service was the usual AirAsia X standard and we appreciated the Quiet Zone as we do not have to endure crying babies, etc. There were two meal service runs on the flight to Gold Coast and a single run on the flight from Gold Coast to Auckland. On landing in Auckland, the aircraft parked at a remote bay and we boarded a bus to the terminal. The return flight from Auckland was not as smooth. Check in at Auckland Airport was very slow due to unfamiliarity of operations by the check in counter staff. Many passengers were stuck at the counter for more than 15 minutes when it should take no more than 5 minutes. Our check in process took about one hour and 15 minutes - we were there well before the check in counters opened. AirAsia X should closely examine the performance of their Auckland Airport service agents. Transit at Gold Coast Airport was only 1 hour this time and we re-boarded the aircraft soon after we cleared security! This time, seperate boarding queues was implemented to segregate transit passengers from those who were joining the flight to Kuala Lumpur from Gold Coast. Inflight service was similar to the outbound flight except that there was only one meal service from Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur. The Quiet Zone was again a boon. However, on the Auckland to Gold Coast sector, a passenger managed to sneak into this cabin and proceeded to chat with his friend throughout the three hour flight. A little annoying that the cabin crew did not pick up this passenger who upgraded himself from the back of the plane! In summary, the new AirAsia X Auckland service is welcome and the flights were full. I am not sure if I will fly this route again if the airfare was not at least 50% cheaper than the nearest competitive fare. The transit at Gold Coast Airport has added to journey time and inconvenience. I would need an attractive incentive to use this service again.
RouteKUL to AKL via OOL

"good value for money"

We flew Perth-Kuala Lumpur and return on Air Asia X. Good flights both ways, we paid a little extra to sit in the quiet zone up the front and it was worth it as many of the seats were empty and this gave us a little more room. It surprised me that they made me turn off the music on my phone for takeoff, as many airlines have moved to a policy where electronic devices are able to on for duration of flight. On the return flight the crew did not have an issue with this. Flights departed on time and overall we were happy and good value for money compared to full service carrier on this route.
RoutePER to KUL
Date FlownMarch 2016

"service of a great airline"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Bali via Kuala Lumpur. AirAsia X is a low cost airline with the service of a great airline! I recommend that you book economy, then later go to optiontown.com and try and upgrade to premium flatbed. We did this, but did not get flatbed. The airline, as compensation, granted everyone the ESO option, which was better than flatbed. It gave everyone a block of seats (3) to themselves, granting a comfortable flight. The transit in Kuala Lumpur was easy, and staff were happy to help us. On the shorter flight, we bought food, which was very delicious and well priced. Everyone was great. I am taking one point off because, in the pocket of my seat, there was a brochure for renting a tablet to watch movies inflight, which I hadn't heard about before. When I asked the cabin attendant if I could rent one, she said that those were only available on flights to/from Australia. My question is why have a brochure for this on a plane to China? Overall, I would definitely recommend flying AirAsia again, especially because they were a third of the price compared to Garuda and Air China.
AircraftA330-300 / A320