Air Transat

"Very unhappy with this situation"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Toronto. I booked my trip to Toronto and thankfully I double checked my banking account and noticed that I was charged three times for my one flight. I called the customer service line and told them that I only received one confirmation email but I was charged three times for my flight they said it would take 5 to 7 business days to refund my money. I called today on the seventh business day and was informed that they never actually process my claim and now I have to wait another 5 to 7 business days to receive my money. I talk to somebody in customer relations and she said it wasn't their fault it was mine because I booked three flights which did not happen I only received one confirmation it was a glitch in their system and now I have to wait for a significant amount of time to receive my money! If I hadn't called today to see where my refund was it would still not be processed! Very unhappy with how this situation has been handled thus far.
RouteVancouver to Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2018

"The food was simply terrible"

Trip Verified | When we flew out to Malaga from MTL, approx. 6hr flight, the aircraft was new with personal entertainment screens, but the seats were very tight and quite uncomfortable. My BF, 6ft2" had an aisle seat and regardless, his legs could not fit anywhere, kept getting hit by the food cart and the food tray couldn’t unfold properly as it was resting at an angle on his thighs. The food was simply terrible. They served sandwiches that were just horrible. No one around us were eating their food and were all staring at one another in terror. I had requested a Gluten Free meal when booking and I would have preferred the horrible mushy sandwich to eat some of the condiments inside than the GF, "I don't know what it was and can't call it a sandwich either with ingredients that are not only GF but also alien". When I asked the Flight Attendant to get a "regular" sandwich she said, "you selected GF and I'm not sure I have other sandwiches left". She miraculously found a spare mushy meal. All this to say we starved. On the way back from Malaga to MTL, I tried upgrading to Club only to find out the extra charge was approx. $900 per person due to the fare price and upgrade costs etc. (fare difference 600 + 300 for upgrade or something of that sort). We checked-in online 12hrs prior to selecting our seats and 4hrs prior to take off, we received a message informing us the flight was delayed about 1hr, therefore we waited and headed to the airport as per schedule taking in consideration the delay, only to be the last ones at the counter where the crew made a comment that they were about to close check in even though we still arrived a little over 2hrs before take off. Basically they were operating as if there were no delays! We made it through and decided to buy our food before boarding, due to the last event on the way in. The plane was late for unknown reasons and was old. I remember taking this aircraft in 1998, one of my first trips to Mexico (3.5hr or so, short flight though). Now on the way back our flight was over 8hrs and the old plane, although the seats were more spacious and slightly comfier than the "new" version, had no personal entertainment system. We had to watch the movie playing on the overhead TV. Remember those? I thought they were extinct! They served a better meal and the staff were nicer and more enjoyable to the passengers, thanks to the head manager who I assume spreads good energy and is compassionate. I travel a lot for work and leisure, taking over 30 flights, if not more a year and I have never seen this. We pay good money to travel and I can't understand how airlines keep depreciated in value and service. Truly a shame when traveling should be respected and valued.
RouteMalaga to Montreal
Date FlownMarch 2018

"will avoid Air Transat whenever possible"

Trip Verified | On March 10, 2018 when we were flying from Toronto Pearson to Cancun (departure time 06:15), we were called to the counter at the gate to (verify Travel documents I guess), along with a dozen or more other passengers. When we came to the counter, the woman behind the counter immediately asked me if I would like to check my carry-on luggage. I said I’d rather not. She said that my carry-on might be too big for the plane and might not fit into the overhead cabinet. When I walked to the carry-on luggage sizing thing beside the counter, she said that one wasn’t for Air Transat; and the flight was full and she was asking passengers to voluntarily check their carry-ons. I hesitated for a moment. Before I could say anything, she said that we would need to check all our carry-ons (our family of four each had a carry-on). My son and daughter’s carry-on were quite small, smaller than the usual carry-on size. Then another Air Transat woman started putting check-in sticker on all our luggage, while I firmly said No and I would not want to check all our carry-ons. It was voluntary and our luggage was not oversized, and I refused to check them in. The younger women continued putting check-in stickers on our luggage, looked at me through the side of her eye and said “you will board the plane if you don’t check your luggage!”. I was very upset. I demanded to see her Air Transat badge but she refused to show it to me and tucked it under her uniform. In the end, a man in Air Transat uniform came out. He removed other sticker except one on our largest luggage. The funny thing was that, once we got on the plane, we noticed 1/3 of the overhead bins were empty! The bins on the A330 were very large and the largest carry-on would fit without any problem! I travel quite a bit, for work and for vacation. This has to be the worst experience with any airline I have had so far. I will avoid Air Transat whenever possible.
AircraftA330-200
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2018

"never had problems with them"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Vancouver. I’ve been on vacation with Air Transat 2 times already and this June we'll go on our third trip with them. It’s so much cheaper than other airlines from my area. So far I never had problems with them. Flights were on time with no delays, cabin staff was friendly. Ground staff was friendly too except for that one woman who didn’t even knew I was allowed 2 suitcases so she needed to ask her colleague about that. Food was edible (still airplane food but okay). The first time I flew air Transat they we’re providing hot meals, I got the vegetarian Asia rice. It was actually good. When we flew with them last year, we got sandwiches which weren’t bad either. When you book Option plus you get additional snacks and drinks for free, and also you can bring two pieces of luggage (a big plus for me!) and choose your seats in advance. If you didn’t book this Option you have to pay for blankets and pillows if you want any or didn’t bring your own. Of course there are other airlines providing blankets and pillows but I think it’s disgusting regarding that those are most likely to never be washed after they were used on a previous flight. Of course seating is cramped, what do you expect for the price? I am short, so no problem for me if the legroom is limited. If you’re tall you shouldn’t book transatlantic flights with them. Overall the seats are comfortable with an adjustable headrest. The IFE (personal screens) is really good, you can check what movies are on your flight online or through their app. The only complaint I have is that those tv shows on the IFE are rust random episodes from random seasons, so if you’re new to a show you can’t really watch it. You can use your own headphones for the IFE and it also has a USB port for you to charge your phone. On a flight back to AMS my screen froze after watching a movie. I asked a flight attendant if she could help and she immediately did! (If this happens to you just press the "i" Button until your screen restarts) In conclusion I’d fly with them again, and I will. You don’t get all the perks with Air Transat if you compare it to other (much more expensive) airlines. Pack your own food if you’re a picky eater and fill up your waterbottle after security and you should be good.
RouteAmsterdam to Vancouver
Date FlownJune 2017

"policy needs to be reviewed"

Trip Verified | Paris to Vancouver. In September of this past year I booked a flight home from Paris to Vancouver with my four children to see my mother/their grandmother who was in hospital battling the final stages of cancer. I planned our trip for a three week timeframe knowing very well I may have to extend our flight depending on when my mother would pass. Already an absolutely horrible thing to have to deal with, my experience with Air Transat didn't make it any easier. As our return date approached, I called the airlines to extend our trip so that we could stay with my mother until the end. The policy when it comes to changing flights is absurd! I called in advance respecting the timelines, that was not a problem, I knew there was a fee, I excepted that, what made this process next to impossible is that one has to choose the specific date of return, how am I to know in this case!? Not only that but not only to you pay a fee to change the flights, you also pay the difference in price. What should be a simple change ended up being incredibly complicated. My mother ended up passing away one week later than our return flight home. It was more expensive to change my flight with Air Transat for the 5 of us again, that to fly home to France and book a whole new flight with another airline. My children ended up not being there when their grandma passed. I had to fly them all home, and then turn around and get on another flight back to Vancouver. You would think that in the case of family emergencies companies would be a little more compassionate to grieving families. Your policy needs to be reviewed. Super not impressed.
RouteParis to Vancouver
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"airline is not reliable"

Trip Verified | When I booked the round trip flight from Vancouver to Varadero, I also selected the seats with the payment of $100. However, when we checked both in YVR and Varadero airports, we were given different seats. We were very disappointed with the service. On January 30th 2018, I sent an email to ask for a refund, the answer was they will send a feedback within 10 days. Up to today, February 14, 2018, no reply has been sent from Air Transat. So far, I have sent 3 emails to ask the same question, but nothing has change. This airline is not reliable and not worth to buy any service provided. I don’t think I will not take this airline for my vacation.
RouteVancouver to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"plane was making a stop-over"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Punta Cana. Air Transat's prices are lower than other airlines', but not so much lower as to warrant choosing them. They need to understand that money is not everything. Stress and broken trust are just as important in the long run, and will cost them many customers. We chose this airline for our holiday trip for the sole reason that it was advertised, and confirmed upon booking, as a non-stop flight to that particular destination. Not "direct" but specifically "non-stop." West Jet offered a very similar price for a comparable duration of flight, but was upfront about a stopover. When it came time to check in, we found that the departure time had been advanced by 2.5 hours because now the plane was making a stop-over. If you've worked a long shift the previous day and cannot sleep on planes, getting up at 3 am compared to 5:30 is not a pleasant start to a holiday. The same added stop-over for the return trip, only this time the plane was scheduled to arrive late rather than leave early. We arrived home in the early hours of the morning. Say what you want about the fine print and their right to add a stop, but false advertising is still false advertising when you speak plain English. The booking number they give you on confirmation is useless when you try to access My Booking: the system keeps telling you that the number cannot be found. It was impossible to log and select seats even with the option to pay for them, and by the time we checked in for the flight, all the window seats with an adjacent middle seat were taken. They can't seem to get organized even when the customer is willing to pay for seat selection. I have nothing negative to say about the flights themselves and the onboard service; the personnel are friendly and helpful.
RouteVancouver to Punta Cana
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"no food for everyone even kids"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Toronto. Our flight had 3 hours delay which was not a big deal, but worse part was having no food for everyone even kids. They were explaining that it's finished and who were sitting on the first rows bought all of foods! I registered my kid for Kids Club but there isn't any advantage - no special things nothing. When they don't have enough food and the flight has delay, it suppose to serve kids first then everybody.
RouteCancun to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cramped and uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | My husband and I travel at least once a year by plane, but we will never travel again with Air Transat. We arrived at Toronto Airport January 24 at 5:30pm from Montego Bay. The seating is terribly cramped and uncomfortable. A small drink of water, soda or juice is offered during a 4 plus hour trip: however, you can order a small amount of food (piece of pizza and drink). A can of beer or mixed drink is an outrageous price. There is no way of resting on this airline as the entire time passengers are bothered relentlessly by airline staff encouraging them to spend, spend, spend on overpriced junk. Earbuds (to watch a movie) are a price of $9.00 per passenger. If you're the unlucky ones (as we were) seated in front of the emergency exits, your seat at the same cost as all other seats, does not recline: however, you may be offered free earbuds that do not work at those seats, and if you ask for assistance in getting the earbuds to work and the flight staff simply ask others around you if their earbuds work then proceeded to do nothing any further, much less, they don't have the decency to come back to you with an answer or assistance - they simply move on as though you didn't ask them for help at all. Disgusting! When we left Jamaica we had our bag with two bottles of boxed rum and a couple of breakable items labeled with white tape marked in large bold red letters reading fragile, and we paid $35.00 American dollars to put that bag through. Upon arrival at Pearson Airport in Toronto Canada, we found the bottles of rum and breakables broken - the luggage ruined. We then went to the Air Transat rep and received a pile of attitude from staff refused to address our complaint.Another Air Transat rep stepped up and told us there was nothing he could do or would do about the broken goods or soiled luggage but gave us the brush by handing us a Air Transat card to call the office.
RouteMontego Bay to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the legroom was fine"

Trip Verified | Nice to Montreal. I booked a ticket from Air Transat 2 days before the flight as I missed my flight during my stay in Nice. They have the "Option Plus" which gives you 2 baggage allowances and some other extras. Plane was an A310-300, pretty old (around 25 years old) There was no personal IFE, moreover I was sitting in a window seat and I kept hitting my head to the side because of the shape of the plane. There were wires going under the armrest (see photo) which seemed weird to me. Seat itself was comfortable and the legroom was fine. Drinks were provided throughout the plane, and I had a full meal (chicken) which wasn't bad at all.
RouteNice to Montreal