Air Transat

"thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly"

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Vancouver. Air Transat is exactly what it says on the tin - it's North America’s best leisure airline. It leads WestJet and Rouge, and probably isn't as good as Air Canada or British Airways, but I saved 400 CAD / 250 GBP by flying with them. On both the outward and return leg, I pass chaotic check-in desks for other airlines to find no queue on Air Transat. Easy and fast. While Transat are not in the Gatwick Connects scheme, you can use it to self-connect to other airlines on arrival (only) at Gatwick. I connected to easyJet very smoothly (max 6 hours later) which saved me taking by bags to a different terminal and queuing up to check in again. This option was cheaper than the other connections I could have booked, all of which involved late night arrivals at both ends. The plane was clean and new with mood lighting. A couple of the seats had issues - on one occasion a passenger near me had a faulty headphone jack so they upgraded him to Option Plus (comfort kit, free alcoholic drinks) and gave him the gourmet meal. On another occasion, the passenger reported a headrest issue and as there were still 15 minutes before departure, they had a couple of mechanics come and fix it. Basic but passable hot meal (with one free glass of wine or beer) as well as a pizza slice on the way out. On the way back, the meal was a choice of hot sandwich and the snack was a small slice of carrot cake, filling but a bit cheap on a 9-hour flight. Still, I could have upgraded to the gourmet meal for C$25 each way and then I would have eaten better than on AC/BA economy and still saved. Also, my fellow passenger had the Option Plus wine which was much nicer than the free stuff. Again, if it's important to you, you pay a little extra and you can get it. The crew were nice on the outward flight and polite enough on the inward leg, but I senses some morale issues. Inflight entertainment on screens - not a great selection (39 movies, 20 or so music artists, a small selection of TV shows) but you didn't have to download an app and stream it on your own device (WJ/Rouge) and everyone also gets a USB port for charging. Flights delayed by about 30 minutes on both occasions. All in all, I would always choose a full service carrier if the prices were the same. That being said, I'm thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly. With so many things you can upgrade (before or during the flight), you can basically choose the flight you want and the price you want.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLondon Gatwick to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cancun. Been to Mexico so many times with different airlines but this has been the worst experience ever with Air Transat. I had the worst experience with the cabin crew as I was waiting for 2 hours to get a glass of water after asking so many times and got a bad attitude from the crew. I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteToronto to Cancun
Date FlownAugust 2017

"most horrible experience"

Verified Review | Toronto to Montreal. The most horrible experience ever. This 1 hour flight turned into a 5 hour nightmare. The flight was suppose depart at 6pm but due to fuel issues got pushed back. Apparently the fuel was delayed and they missed their slot on the runway so it got pushed to 8:30pm. That was not the end of the nightmare. After arriving at Montreal airport, they inform us that there was a mixup with the luggages and we ended up waiting 3+ hours for our luggages. The crew didn't know what was going on and there was no communication whatsoever. Can't believe such a short flight can be such a hellish experience. I fly frequently and have never experienced such travesty from any other airlines. Air transat was the first airline I tried and I thought it should be fine since it's a short flight but boy was I wrong.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2017

"crew were friendly and helpful"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Toronto. Was nearly an hour late departing. My wife and I had club class seats 2A and 2C, the seats were quite wide but the legroom in row 2 was very poor for the price. The option plus seats on the row behind had far more room than us. If you can be sure to book the first row as you can stretch out as much as you want. The heat on the aircraft was ridiculous made worse as there are no personal air vents above your head, be sure to bring plenty of water on board as you will need it. Waiting to take off at Gatwick and coming in to land at Toronto was so hot I thought I was going to pass out! I have never experienced this before on any other flight that I have taken. Food and on board is included in the price, you are advised to pre-book your meal by the airline as if you don't you will have to have whatever is left. Personally I thought that this was a strange thing to do but I guess it's a cost cutting measure. Flight was very smooth with no problems and a good choice of inflight entertainment. There are USB ports on each seat so able to charge gadgets. Cabin crew were friendly and helpful. Toilets were reasonably clean but could of been better given that they were only being used by 12 passengers and the crew. The flight arrived on time, but had to wait for almost 2 hours at Toronto for our bags as they had decided to put a flight from Glasgow on the same luggage carousel as ours, so had to wait for all of their luggage to be claimed before ours was put on. Think there were 4 or 5 carousels not being used in baggage reclaim area. This wasn't a very pleasant experience as you were stuck with around 400 other increasingly angry passengers in a relatively small space. I'm assuming it was like this because Air Transat are a small airline and only have access to a limited number of carousels. Probably wouldn't use them again unless I had to.
AircraftA330-300
RouteGatwick to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2017

"I was the one stranded"

Verified Review | Toronto to Birmingham. Having traveled with Air Transat, due to a family emergency with less than 24 hours notice, I was happy to catch any flight out of Toronto to the UK as fast as possible. Unfortunately, my family emergency continued on and I missed my flight back to YYZ on my scheduled date. Air Transat had the opportunity to rebook me, at a full price fare, aside from the fact that no one in customer service could have been bothered. I was placed on hold, paying international rates, to be told "too bad ". I was well aware of the fact it was "too bad", as I was the one stranded but at no point provided with any viable option to get home. I used WOW air to fly me home. I have yet to receive any response from Transat.
RouteToronto to Birmingham
Date FlownJuly 2017

"absolutely terrible"

Verified Review | Never again. Flew Air Transat from Toronto to Cancun on June 17, 2017 to be returning June 24, 2017. Booked Club Class for family of three including one child. Selected Club Class meals when upgrading. I had called a week prior to my departure to confirm meals, they did not have them on file, booked a child's meal both down and back. Flight was delayed 7 hours at Toronto Airport. Flight was delayed twice. The second time the flight was delayed, everyone was sitting at the gate waiting for the 1630 delayed departure. Air Transat changed the time to 1830 without informing the passengers waiting. I just happened to notice the change while walking into the airport. I asked the gate agents if that was in fact correct, I was told to "wait for an announcement" The "announcement" came approximately 20 minutes later. A $100.00 voucher was told would be given to passengers. As of 8 days later, no voucher. Note, this voucher would be given for another flight on Air Transat, not sure who would want to deal with them again. After paying $1000.00 to upgrade to Club Class, Air Transat decided to bump passengers from economy to club who were complaining. One couple who complained the loudest got a free ride in Club beside my family's $1000.00 upgrade - really fair. The best part came on departure in Cancun. They did not have our meals we ordered. So after paying, my child had no meal. He was given bread to eat. Please note, that this flight was during dinner time. Baggage in Toronto was just as bad. 90 minutes for bags to come to baggage hall. Priority bags did not come out first, in fact they came out last. What a waste. This will be my last flight with this joke of an airline. It is no wonder Air Canada has been so successful, this airline is absolutely terrible.
RouteToronto to Cancun

"courteous and professional"

Verified Review | We had return trips between Manchester and Toronto and were pleasantly surprised with Air Transat. Outward trip was delayed due to blocked sewage pipes - but I'm glad they did delay in order to fix it as I wouldn't want to be on a transatlantic flight with no toilet! The delay did not concern us due to our hotel check in time. The return trip was on time and arrived around 20 minutes early. The cabin staff were courteous and professional and the captain kept us well informed. Food was adequate. Legroom on both flights was good (I'm 5 foot 10) and seat width OK. All in all, I would recommend Air Transat, particularly based on the price paid.
AircraftA310 / A330
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2017

"staff rude, unfriendly and unprofessional"

Verified Review | Easily the worst international flight I have ever taken. From Toronto to London, the plane was freezing cold, to the point where several passengers around me were shivering, while the stewardesses endlessly touted $9 blankets for sale. Bright purple light beamed down on all passengers for almost the entire duration of the overnight, red-eye flight to London. It was eerie, obnoxious and nauseating. What about giving us time to sleep? More importantly, the flight staff were rude, unfriendly and unprofessional from when I boarded the plane to when I left. When it came to meals, they practically threw the 'food' on our trays like we were pigs on a truck. To top it all off, Air Transat took five weeks to respond to my customer service inquiry regarding my negative experience: they were rude on the phone, and they sent me a form email as their response.
AircraftA330-200
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownMay 2017

"lack of any customer service"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Toronto. I and my extended family have used Transat for years on both transatlantic and for Mexican package holidays from Toronto. My recent trip to the UK was the usual packed old A310 with centre aisle monitors and crackly headsets. My wife got a vegan/vegetarian meal on both directions which looked and tasted awful and were served 25 minutes before everyone else and the drinks. My kids meals got screwed up and my meal was nice and cool on the way out but the beef with mash potato was not bad on the way back. Don't expect iPad or samsung devices to get wifi unless you pre down load an app or have a degree in overcoming your Android settings to allow it to work. The icing on the cake for me was the £65/$115cd I was charged for a picture that was 20" x 20" and weighed 5kg at Glasgow check in. First if you are a Canadian resident but travel on UK passports don't expect to be able to check in coming into Canada. So no way to check excess bag prices or add one. Straight away female is up to me and asking if it was an extra bag....egh no it's a bubble wrapped picture 1 inch wider than the carry one cage thing. Sorry £65 please. So she explains it to the supervisor I asked to see who walks up and does not even try and be nice with a "How can I help" just walks up and say "I'm the supervisor" on good start thanks. So our bags weights were 20/18/15 and 18, you are allowed 23kgs, well under our hand luggage were all small body bags. I asked could I just carry the picture and have it put into the hold at the door like the strollers etc - no it's a bag Sir, no it's not a bag it's a picture, no it's an excess bag sir. Then I'm told if I had gone As an Options or club customer I would have got an extra bag! Oh thanks that's great advise for a young family on a budget. Bottom line is I won't fly with them again and I will do my Mexico trips through Costco. So congrats Air Transat your $110/£65 has in fact cost you $3500 for next year's transatlantic flights and $6000 for my Mexico trip in the spring. Did I mention left late and arrived late both ways which according to the latest results is Transat speciality - dead last on the list I saw. They used to be good but old A310s, miserable looking staff and lack of any attempt at customer service for loyal customers has just cost them my business.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"poor service of my upgrade"

Verified Review | Where to begin? I paid for their Options Plus but didn't receive the full benefit of the service. The service on the ground is terrible at the airport, both Toronto and Holguin. While I was waiting to board the flight in Toronto, the gate staff told me I had to check my bag. They took it away from me and said I was only allowed one bag. I had a small carry on and a computer bag. I was upset and protested that I was allowed one bag and a personal item. They were rude about it and said I was only allowed one bag. I complained to the supervisor and she eventually agreed that I was right. I got my bag back along with some dirty looks from the gate staff. This is how they treat their upgraded guests! At Holguin airport, my luggage was supposed to be among the first off the plane. But it was the last. I was told it was lost after waiting an hour and 20 minutes. I went to do a lost luggage claim but it suddenly was found a few minutes later. No support from AT. On the return trip, they did not let Options Plus customers board first. It was a free for all with no info on the gate or boarding procedures. My luggage was not among the first off the plane again. I waited over 20 minutes after the luggage started coming down the baggage carrousel. I asked the AT desk at Toronto airport why and he avoided the reason and told me to phone in a complaint. When I called AT customer service after the trip to discuss the poor service of my upgrade, I was told they would investigate and get back to me within 2 days. I'm still waiting 10 days later. I have had previous bad trips with Air Transat, so this will be my last trip with them.
RouteToronto to Holguin