Air Transat

"did not get our sport luggage"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Amsterdam via Toronto. The worst experience. Apart from the inflight service which was pretty low, we did not get our sport luggage on arrival back home and it's impossible to talk to someone who knows and obtain information about our luggage. It is a nightmare and the company doesn't seem to care. We are left with numbers and email addresses that do not answer and no idea of where our luggage is. I presume it's lost and therefore we are looking into compensation.
RouteVancouver to Amsterdam via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"left without our baggage"

Verified Review | We left Toronto for Lisbon and because of baggage strike the plane got delayed 2.5 hours. Plane left without our baggage, and we had to wait 5 hours at Lisbon airport to give info to lost baggage. There was no Air Transat rep to be seen at all. Baggage took 2 days to arrive at the hotel. The food on the plane was awful.
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Really bad airline to fly"

Verified Review | Manchester to Toronto. Really bad airline to fly. Selected my seats and when went on the plane, some other family was sitting on our seats and when I complained they did not help me at all. I was looking forward for my Canada trip but the start of the journey was very bad and I had to sit on the other seats from my family and my 2 year old son always liked to come to my seat but I could not do that. It made worst when coming back, I selected extra leg room seats and they did not give me that -I booked the seats but they did not give that too and there was not anyone who can help us. I did not want to argue so I just sit at the given seats but I decided that I will never fly with this airline. I travelled a lot but did not have such an experience before.
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"food was actually edible for a change"

Verified Review | This was my annual round trip to visit my family in BC. Have done this trip most years since 1989, so have used a motley collection of airlines. Of them all, Air Transat was the first one I said I'd never use again, back in 2001, but have now been stuck with it for the past three years since it took over my non-stop route. This year was an improvement on last. The food was actually edible for a change. Everything was on time. There were no passport queues when I entered Vancouver. There were no check-in or security queues when I departed Vancouver. The flight was comfortable. The crew were efficient (although I do miss the entertaining Canadian crews of the other airlines). The inflight entertainment was ok with a choice of 30 films. I was not very keen on the purple ceiling lights. It was only in the bathroom did you realise you were on an old plane - the cabin fully refurbished but the wash basins - the old crackle cream ones - were a dead giveaway. Happy to fly with them again.
RouteVancouver to Manchester
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Never fly Air Transat again"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Calgary via Toronto. Of the 4 flights on our return journey only one plane was decent - newish, roomy enough, seat back entertainment system. The other 3 planes were old, cramped and no seat back entertainment which isn't good for a transatlantic flight. Baggage took ages to arrive. We sat on the plane for over an hour in Toronto waiting to depart. On our return the flight that was meant to depart Toronto at nearly midnight was delayed 1.5 hours which is hard going when travelling with a 5 year old child. Most of the staff were pleasant though especially 2 of the female cabin staff who helped me when I fainted on the first better aeroplane. This has not happened to me for years so it was unexpected. They also switched the scheduled type of aeroplane at the last minute on one of our flights probably as not enough bookings so we got a TERRIBLE plane from Toronto to the UK. Never will we fly Air Transat again.
RouteGlasgow to Calgary via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"customer service does not care"

Verified Review | Calgary to Amsterdam. I found such a bargain with direct flight to Amsterdam, also with 7 hours between flights on the way back via Vancouver I would be able to set several business meetings with my partners. Oh, was I wrong! The results are: I had to pay nearly $1000 for additional flights, nearly missed my conference, had to cancel my meetings in Vancouver, and from Vancouver to Calgary flew in so old aircraft. if you are going to use the service of Air Transat, be warned: the plane may be late 1-3 hours; customer service does not care about you and refuse to help you. The company is so badly organized, that one hand does not know what the other does: for example, we were told to take our luggage in Vancouver and give it back to Transat desk worker, who was supposed to check it in again. We spent an hour running all over the airport trying to find one Air Transat worker. No luck: they did not know that their own plane was late 2.5 hours and left. Later, they asked us to pay again for luggage, because "we kept it for too long".
RouteCalgary to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2017

"thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly"

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Vancouver. Air Transat is exactly what it says on the tin - it's North America’s best leisure airline. It leads WestJet and Rouge, and probably isn't as good as Air Canada or British Airways, but I saved 400 CAD / 250 GBP by flying with them. On both the outward and return leg, I pass chaotic check-in desks for other airlines to find no queue on Air Transat. Easy and fast. While Transat are not in the Gatwick Connects scheme, you can use it to self-connect to other airlines on arrival (only) at Gatwick. I connected to easyJet very smoothly (max 6 hours later) which saved me taking by bags to a different terminal and queuing up to check in again. This option was cheaper than the other connections I could have booked, all of which involved late night arrivals at both ends. The plane was clean and new with mood lighting. A couple of the seats had issues - on one occasion a passenger near me had a faulty headphone jack so they upgraded him to Option Plus (comfort kit, free alcoholic drinks) and gave him the gourmet meal. On another occasion, the passenger reported a headrest issue and as there were still 15 minutes before departure, they had a couple of mechanics come and fix it. Basic but passable hot meal (with one free glass of wine or beer) as well as a pizza slice on the way out. On the way back, the meal was a choice of hot sandwich and the snack was a small slice of carrot cake, filling but a bit cheap on a 9-hour flight. Still, I could have upgraded to the gourmet meal for C$25 each way and then I would have eaten better than on AC/BA economy and still saved. Also, my fellow passenger had the Option Plus wine which was much nicer than the free stuff. Again, if it's important to you, you pay a little extra and you can get it. The crew were nice on the outward flight and polite enough on the inward leg, but I senses some morale issues. Inflight entertainment on screens - not a great selection (39 movies, 20 or so music artists, a small selection of TV shows) but you didn't have to download an app and stream it on your own device (WJ/Rouge) and everyone also gets a USB port for charging. Flights delayed by about 30 minutes on both occasions. All in all, I would always choose a full service carrier if the prices were the same. That being said, I'm thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly. With so many things you can upgrade (before or during the flight), you can basically choose the flight you want and the price you want.
AircraftA330-200
RouteLondon Gatwick to Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2017

"never recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Toronto to Cancun. Been to Mexico so many times with different airlines but this has been the worst experience ever with Air Transat. I had the worst experience with the cabin crew as I was waiting for 2 hours to get a glass of water after asking so many times and got a bad attitude from the crew. I would never recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteToronto to Cancun

"most horrible experience"

Verified Review | Toronto to Montreal. The most horrible experience ever. This 1 hour flight turned into a 5 hour nightmare. The flight was suppose depart at 6pm but due to fuel issues got pushed back. Apparently the fuel was delayed and they missed their slot on the runway so it got pushed to 8:30pm. That was not the end of the nightmare. After arriving at Montreal airport, they inform us that there was a mixup with the luggages and we ended up waiting 3+ hours for our luggages. The crew didn't know what was going on and there was no communication whatsoever. Can't believe such a short flight can be such a hellish experience. I fly frequently and have never experienced such travesty from any other airlines. Air transat was the first airline I tried and I thought it should be fine since it's a short flight but boy was I wrong.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2017

"crew were friendly and helpful"

Verified Review | Gatwick to Toronto. Was nearly an hour late departing. My wife and I had club class seats 2A and 2C, the seats were quite wide but the legroom in row 2 was very poor for the price. The option plus seats on the row behind had far more room than us. If you can be sure to book the first row as you can stretch out as much as you want. The heat on the aircraft was ridiculous made worse as there are no personal air vents above your head, be sure to bring plenty of water on board as you will need it. Waiting to take off at Gatwick and coming in to land at Toronto was so hot I thought I was going to pass out! I have never experienced this before on any other flight that I have taken. Food and on board is included in the price, you are advised to pre-book your meal by the airline as if you don't you will have to have whatever is left. Personally I thought that this was a strange thing to do but I guess it's a cost cutting measure. Flight was very smooth with no problems and a good choice of inflight entertainment. There are USB ports on each seat so able to charge gadgets. Cabin crew were friendly and helpful. Toilets were reasonably clean but could of been better given that they were only being used by 12 passengers and the crew. The flight arrived on time, but had to wait for almost 2 hours at Toronto for our bags as they had decided to put a flight from Glasgow on the same luggage carousel as ours, so had to wait for all of their luggage to be claimed before ours was put on. Think there were 4 or 5 carousels not being used in baggage reclaim area. This wasn't a very pleasant experience as you were stuck with around 400 other increasingly angry passengers in a relatively small space. I'm assuming it was like this because Air Transat are a small airline and only have access to a limited number of carousels. Probably wouldn't use them again unless I had to.
AircraftA330-300