Air Transat

Review by (France) 24th June 2015

I have flown Air Transat quite a few times now and this was the first in their new planes. They have good leg space although the seats are narrow - narrowest I've ever experienced in a flight. It does not bother me personally but for a broader person this can be a real issue. They have upgraded their old entertainment system to something on par with AF/BA/KLM now, however that is only in the renovated planes. The food is as bad as it was, but I'd say that for the price this is to be expected. I never have any expectations regarding the food they will serve so I'm not disapointed. They are usually still the cheapest for CDG to YUL so if I wanted something a tad better I'd pay a bit more. The service is alright, of course it has nothing to do with 5-Star airlines but I'd say its decent for the price - and it has improved since the first times I flew with them 4 years ago.
RouteParis to Montreal

Review by (United Kingdom) 19th June 2015

Flight home a bit of an ordeal. Check in was meant to open at 14.30 but didn't open until 15.30. We were all on plane for 18.30 but plane did not leave stand until 19.30. Pilot told us it was to do with paper work (can he not read or write) or was it because we were waiting on an engineer to tighten a screw on one of the first class seats head rests, when there were several other empty seats. On landing in Glasgow the luggage took an hour to come through. However the cabin crews luggage managed to come through without delay. Might look at other airlines next time
RouteCalgary to Glasgow

Review by (Canada) 16th June 2015

Our flight from Calgary to Glasgow was a mixed bag. Just as we were flying over Hudson Bay, the pilot turn a sharp southerly turn and we diverted to Toronto. With no additional information other than "technical difficulties" due to "improper checks in Calgary" they were going to have to transfer us to another plane in Toronto. Our flight from Toronto to Glasgow was pretty uneventful. Our return flight was also uneventful, thankfully. I appreciate the lighting and ambient music that seems to play as boarding and de-planing takes place. It can really add to a zen atmosphere and help people who might be having some pre-flying jitters. One thing to note, Air Transat: get your food situation together! Each flight, we ended up basically getting the worst they had to offer meal-wise because none of the decent food was left as everyone before us had opted for it. I was not at all impressed by this. We booked seats towards the back of the plane to avoid screaming children as best as we could, only to suffer as far as meal options went. Be prepared to need more of the food you know people prefer. It just seems kind of cruel otherwise, subjecting the back 1/3 to 1/2 of the plane to the runs serving them the slop that's leftover.
AircraftA330-300
RouteCalgary to Glasgow

Review by (United States) 16th June 2015

I had read some of the reviews, so was a little concerned, but loved the price. There was no charge for our luggage! We got lunch, with a complimentary glass of wine at no extra cost. We also got a snack shortly before descending into Vancouver. The entertainment was in the seatback in front of me. Movies, TV shows, etc, again, no extra cost.
RouteGatwick, London to Vancouver, BC

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th June 2015

Had paid double price to upgrade to Club Class on way out, all was fine no problems. As we could not get into Club Class on the way back we paid an additional £48 at the Airport in Glasgow to Canadian Affair to travel Select Plus which means chosen seats, speedy check in, priority luggage, free soft drinks, headsets, etc in flight. Problems began at check in, took over 35 mins due to "system errors" eventually we were given two different seat numbers not our original seats. My son who was travelling with a sprained ankle and who is 6ft 4 had a broken seat, two rows from the back toilets (seats we would never have chosen). We pointed this out to the crew who tried to fix it but could not. We were advised we could not get our original seats as other people had paid for them and did not want to move. My son had to sit bolt upright for 6.5hrs. All this and more has been brought to the attention of Canadian Affair (who we have used at least 7 times in the past five years to fly to Toronto). Firstly offered me £30 then when I said this was not good enough took another 3 weeks to write back to me with all manner of excuses. If you can dont fly with this Company, fly Air Canada instead.
AircraftAirbus 330
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteGlasgow to Toronto

Review by (Canada) 14th June 2015

Despite some reviews on this site and others my experience with Air Transat was very pleasant. Yes the seats are a bit crowded together but that's par for the course on almost every airline these days. Food was better that expected it was quite good. In flight entertainment had a decent variety of current movies and TV shows to suite all ages and tastes. Quick check in, pleasant staff especially the flight attendants the service was very good. Would recommend Air Transat.
AircraftAirbus A330
RouteVancouver to Glasgow

Review by (Canada) 12th June 2015

I just returned from about an 8 hour flight from Europe via Air Transat and I will never do this again. I have been flying to Europe for about 20 years and this was the most uncomfortable flight. For a long trip the seats are horrible if you are bigger then average or even if you are sitting next to people bigger then average and you have just entered air plane hell if you are caught in a middle seat. The food quality and quantity were also totally unacceptable. It was so bad that I would take a more non direct flight in the future at a higher price to avoid this experience again.

Review by (United Kingdom) 12th June 2015

Bought upgrade at check-in. Superb value. It was only £200 for the upgrade to their business class. It is actually only a premium economy class but it was excellent. Brilliant service, very good food and very comfortable new seating. I was flying Manchester to Toronto which I do quite regularly.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteManchester to Toronto

Review by (United Kingdom) 6th June 2015

Flight from Gatwick to Vancouver 21 May return to Gatwick 3rd June 2015. Dreadful. Wanted to charge 9 dollars for a blanket and 8 dollars for headset. Seats cramped. On return trip some seats had been double booked - fortunately they managed to sort that out but many people were unable to sit with their travelling companion. Dinner was poor with a piece of fudge for dessert and breakfast was a piece of banana bread. On the outward journey on 21st May they ran out of headsets so we spent a 10 hour flight without access to films or music. Would definitely not travel with this airline again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Review by (Canada) 4th June 2015

Flight TS560 Toronto (YYZ) - Punta Cana Dominican Republic (PUJ) May 15 2015. Travelled with 2 children aged 5 years and 1.8 years. When we tried to utilize online check in we were unable to do so. Contacted AT and were told that since there were 2 infants on the same booking (we were flying with other family members with infants) system and AT policy dictates that passengers must check in at the counter. Seems very strange as allowing people with children and infants would be better served with online check-in! AT lost my spouse's booking even though we had more then ample proof of payments and booking. We were told to contact AT customer service. We were told that AT just went through a system upgrade. To me it appears that a system downgrade occurred. Spoke with the supervisor who reluctantly contacted AT and resolved the issue. Check in time - just under 1 hour. Flight TS561 PUJ to YYZ due to the system upgrade check-in took over 1.75 hours (a lot of other customers were also complaining) at the end of which we were told that AT could not honour seat selection for 7 people in our party. Spoke with AT staff and asked for a reason and I was told that AT would be using a different plane. I asked and was advised that plane used would be Airbus 300-310 same plane we took from TO. When I asked the person for further clarification he indicated that each 310 has a different configuration. I asked whether 310 had rows 7 and 8 where we had booked our seats and the individual could not answer. Traveling with 2 infants and 3 children and checking in taking 1.75 hours and AT not allowing passengers to check in online if they have 2 infants is a prime example of an oxymoron. Shame on AT.