Airline of the Year

Air Transat

"courteous and professional"

Verified Review | We had return trips between Manchester and Toronto and were pleasantly surprised with Air Transat. Outward trip was delayed due to blocked sewage pipes - but I'm glad they did delay in order to fix it as I wouldn't want to be on a transatlantic flight with no toilet! The delay did not concern us due to our hotel check in time. The return trip was on time and arrived around 20 minutes early. The cabin staff were courteous and professional and the captain kept us well informed. Food was adequate. Legroom on both flights was good (I'm 5 foot 10) and seat width OK. All in all, I would recommend Air Transat, particularly based on the price paid.
AircraftA310 / A330
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownJune 2017

"staff rude, unfriendly and unprofessional"

Verified Review | Easily the worst international flight I have ever taken. From Toronto to London, the plane was freezing cold, to the point where several passengers around me were shivering, while the stewardesses endlessly touted $9 blankets for sale. Bright purple light beamed down on all passengers for almost the entire duration of the overnight, red-eye flight to London. It was eerie, obnoxious and nauseating. What about giving us time to sleep? More importantly, the flight staff were rude, unfriendly and unprofessional from when I boarded the plane to when I left. When it came to meals, they practically threw the 'food' on our trays like we were pigs on a truck. To top it all off, Air Transat took five weeks to respond to my customer service inquiry regarding my negative experience: they were rude on the phone, and they sent me a form email as their response.
AircraftA330-200
RouteToronto to London
Date FlownMay 2017

"lack of any customer service"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Toronto. I and my extended family have used Transat for years on both transatlantic and for Mexican package holidays from Toronto. My recent trip to the UK was the usual packed old A310 with centre aisle monitors and crackly headsets. My wife got a vegan/vegetarian meal on both directions which looked and tasted awful and were served 25 minutes before everyone else and the drinks. My kids meals got screwed up and my meal was nice and cool on the way out but the beef with mash potato was not bad on the way back. Don't expect iPad or samsung devices to get wifi unless you pre down load an app or have a degree in overcoming your Android settings to allow it to work. The icing on the cake for me was the £65/$115cd I was charged for a picture that was 20" x 20" and weighed 5kg at Glasgow check in. First if you are a Canadian resident but travel on UK passports don't expect to be able to check in coming into Canada. So no way to check excess bag prices or add one. Straight away female is up to me and asking if it was an extra bag....egh no it's a bubble wrapped picture 1 inch wider than the carry one cage thing. Sorry £65 please. So she explains it to the supervisor I asked to see who walks up and does not even try and be nice with a "How can I help" just walks up and say "I'm the supervisor" on good start thanks. So our bags weights were 20/18/15 and 18, you are allowed 23kgs, well under our hand luggage were all small body bags. I asked could I just carry the picture and have it put into the hold at the door like the strollers etc - no it's a bag Sir, no it's not a bag it's a picture, no it's an excess bag sir. Then I'm told if I had gone As an Options or club customer I would have got an extra bag! Oh thanks that's great advise for a young family on a budget. Bottom line is I won't fly with them again and I will do my Mexico trips through Costco. So congrats Air Transat your $110/£65 has in fact cost you $3500 for next year's transatlantic flights and $6000 for my Mexico trip in the spring. Did I mention left late and arrived late both ways which according to the latest results is Transat speciality - dead last on the list I saw. They used to be good but old A310s, miserable looking staff and lack of any attempt at customer service for loyal customers has just cost them my business.
RouteGlasgow to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2017

"poor service of my upgrade"

Verified Review | Where to begin? I paid for their Options Plus but didn't receive the full benefit of the service. The service on the ground is terrible at the airport, both Toronto and Holguin. While I was waiting to board the flight in Toronto, the gate staff told me I had to check my bag. They took it away from me and said I was only allowed one bag. I had a small carry on and a computer bag. I was upset and protested that I was allowed one bag and a personal item. They were rude about it and said I was only allowed one bag. I complained to the supervisor and she eventually agreed that I was right. I got my bag back along with some dirty looks from the gate staff. This is how they treat their upgraded guests! At Holguin airport, my luggage was supposed to be among the first off the plane. But it was the last. I was told it was lost after waiting an hour and 20 minutes. I went to do a lost luggage claim but it suddenly was found a few minutes later. No support from AT. On the return trip, they did not let Options Plus customers board first. It was a free for all with no info on the gate or boarding procedures. My luggage was not among the first off the plane again. I waited over 20 minutes after the luggage started coming down the baggage carrousel. I asked the AT desk at Toronto airport why and he avoided the reason and told me to phone in a complaint. When I called AT customer service after the trip to discuss the poor service of my upgrade, I was told they would investigate and get back to me within 2 days. I'm still waiting 10 days later. I have had previous bad trips with Air Transat, so this will be my last trip with them.
RouteToronto to Holguin
Date FlownApril 2017

"they provided terrible service"

(Dominican Republic)

Verified Review | Air Transat is the worst airline I have ever flown with. They provided terrible service throughout the flight and experience. We gate checked the stroller for my baby, and when we arrived in Toronto, were told that it would be with the luggage. They claimed that there were complimentary strollers for us to use, but there were none to be found. I had to walk through the airport carrying the baby, carry-on bag, purse and diaper bag. There was absolutely no help. When we arrived to Canada in the middle of winter, from the Caribbean, none of our luggage arrived. We were left with no warm clothing since we live in the Caribbean. Instead of being honest from the start, they had us wait around the luggage claim for over 3 hours, insisting that the luggage was coming. After they finally admitted it was not, we had to wait in a huge line to claim the luggage. Again, zero assistance even with a screaming baby. We were called and told the luggage was on its way, it never arrived. It took several phone calls and arguements for them to finally bring out luggage, which supposedly was there the whole time. Even writing to complain about the experience was useless. They took months to respond, and when they did, they offered a measly compensation, which was in Canadian dollars even though we bought and paid for the flights in US dollars. I would rather pay double to fly a different airline.
RoutePunta Cana to Toronto
Date FlownDecember 2016

"old airplane but in general not bad"

Verified Review | Toronto to Saint Martin. The flight was not late. Good leg room in the 2x2 seats at the back of the plane. Was seated in 27 A . Service ok but on a 4 hours flight nothing was free like peanuts. Only free juice or water or café. So you will need to bring something to eat all the time. I did order into the way back and not that pricy and basic food. For leisure best seat and good comfort compared to Air Canada rouge. Also make sure to bring iPad or other tablet to use the entertainment system. Good selection of movie. Missing some usb plugs. Was old airplane but in general not bad.
RouteToronto to Saint Martin
Date FlownApril 2017

"we were treated very well"

Verified Review | Flew from Saskatoon to Puerto Vallarta in January and stayed at the Friendly Vallarta. Our return flight was delayed due to mechanical problems and as a result we were laid over for an additionally day in Puerto Vallarta. We were treated very well by Air Transat in securing overnight accommodations at the Sheridan including transportation and meals. The return flight was the following day and the service by the Airtransport personnel was excellent. They even gave us a complimentary meal along with a travel voucher for a future flight. I have nothing but admiration for the staff and the airline and any future trips will definitely be booked with Air Transat.
RouteSaskatoon to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"review is to complement the staff"

Verified Review | Porto to Montreal via Toronto. Air Transat is the 'work-horse' of airlines. For a lower price, I don't get 'frills' nor do I expect any. My review is to complement the staff on both my outbound and inbound flight. They are polite, service-oriented and efficient. There were quite a number of passengers on the flight that were pressing the call bell excessively. The flight attendants were gracious and helpful. I could not believe their patience, especially with some unruly passengers who refused to sit down when we were going through turbulence. I just wanted to give a thumbs up to the professional crew. Will continue to use Air Transat in the future.
RoutePorto to Montreal via Toronto
Date FlownMarch 2017

"only one person serving club class"

Verified Review | Flew Air Transat from Edmonton to Cancun. Waited in line for 15 minutes to check in, only one person serving club class. The flight attendant didn't smile once and sat and read the paper about 50% of the flight, there was only 10 of us that he needed to be served. Meal was awful, the pastries were to hard to eat and not even 2 hours into the flight we were told they were out of alcohol. The flight was 5 hrs and 20 mins.
RouteEdmonton to Cancun
Date FlownMarch 2017

"enjoy flying Club Class"

Unverified | We flew Calgary to Puerto Vallarta and back again in Club Class, as we had such a great experience last time and this time took our adult son who had just graduated University and we needed to celebrate! Both flights attendants were great but on our flight back to Calgary Sunday Feb 26 flight TS319 our attendant was exceptional. Professional, cheerful and upbeat which made our flight back to the cold bearable! We so enjoy flying Club Class - so worth it to start our vacay this way!
Cabin FlownFirst Class