Air Transat

"delayed our flight 3 times"

Trip Verified | Flew Toronto to Varadero, Cuba. A mechanical problem on the plane at 5 am delayed our flight 3 times by a total of 12 hours. We were supposed to leave at 7.05 am, then 11.10 am, and now 7.15 pm, fingers crossed. They are now bringing in a plane from Montreal. The issues were known at sunrise and this is the best that Air Transat can do? We missed 1 day of our vacation and they don't care.
RouteToronto to Varadero, Cuba
Date FlownJuly 2018

"found the seats comfortable"

Trip Verified | Porto to Montreal. I was diagnosed with shingles while on holiday in Portugal. It was a nasty case with a lot of pain. Our insurance company recommended a quick return to Canada. We had to cancel our flights out of Lisbon and find a way home from Porto. Due to the nature of the disease I only had about an 8 hour window when I was relatively pain free. The pain medications I had would only last an hour or two. I wasn't keen being trapped on a trans-Atlantic flight for 6 or 7 hours. We found one flight out of Porto to Montreal that left Porto at noon which was optimal. It was on an Air Transat A330. I couldn't afford any delays. Check in was quick and easy, the flight was right on time. The aircraft loaded quickly and fortunately for me it was not overly crowded and there was room to stretch out. We found the seats comfortable and food and beverage service was great. After 2 movies I felt confident I was going to make it without a pain attack. We landed in Montreal on time and after a long walk we ended up at the customs area with 500 other passengers. My pain free window was closing quickly. Our nexus cards worked like a charm and we were through to the baggage area in 5 minutes. Priority baggage stickers also worked and our luggage was out first. Hopped on a shuttle to an airport hotel. Rested for a day before we caught another flight to Edmonton. Ended up in the hospital when we got home. Now on the right meds and pain free. Please get the new shingles vaccine before you head overseas.
RoutePorto to Montreal
Date FlownMay 2018

"poor communication and customer service"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Rome via Toronto. We flew with Air Transat from Vancouver to Rome return at the end of May. We had so many problems on these flights and I will never book with them again. The flight was delayed by 6 hours on our flight to Rome. I missed an important meeting that I had in Italy because of this. I understand that they need to have a safe plane. However, there is an obligation that they maintain their planes so that they do not have issues. There was almost no communication with us to let us know what was going on for the 6 hours. The offered a food voucher after 3 hours and we had to line-up for an hour while they hand wrote them for each passenger. By the time that we got it there was only one food place open and we had to line-up for an hour! Really poor communication and customer service. They lost our luggage on the return flight from Rome and again there was no communication when the 32 people that lost their luggage and were worried about missing their connecting flight. We asked them on the flight to let the desk in Vancouver know so that they could be prepared for 32 people to arrive late at night from Rome and have the paperwork done. They did not do this and we had to wait for a long time to fill out paperwork. The seats, comfort and entertainment on the plane coming from Rome to Toronto was fine. The seats and comfort in the domestic flights was not good at all. The worst part is that when I called to talk to them about my poor experience - they really did not care. Do not fly with Transat. I would not recommend it.
RouteVancouver to Rome via Toronto
Date FlownMay 2018

"experience was not comfortable"

Not Verified | Manchester to Toronto. Have flown with this company several times since 2012 and been quite satisfied for the price we paid. Always paid extra for Option plus as the quick check in and boarding / security outbound was worth the cost. Cabin crew have always been polite & helpful. However our latest experience was not comfortable. The outward journey was the worst, in an older plane which clearly needed upgrading. One of the seats in front of us was faulty and fell backwards to a bad angle each time the passenger leaned back on it, making it unpleasant to have right in front of our faces. The individual screens were not in complete working order and the outer arm rests did not move to enable easy exit from the seats. Food was edible but not great. Not a good journey, return was slightly better but not great. Will probably look elsewhere for any future journeys sadly.
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownMay 2018

"good value for our money"

Trip Verified | I have nothing but good things to say about both flights we took with Air Transat in May 2018 flying from Vancouver to London Gatwick. Flight personnel were very helpful and pleasant with all passenger interactions (that I witnessed), leg room was good, in-flight entertainment was great and meals, well, meals were airplane food, but at least there were meals! Also felt we got good value for our money.
AircraftA330-200 LD TS
RouteVancouver to Gatwick
Date FlownMay 2018

"at least onboard service was good"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lisbon return. Flying out from Toronto is always a pleasure. Quick check-in, efficient staff, no hassles, it never takes 10 minutes to drop my bags, get the boarding pass and reach security. Organized boarding, excellent service. I purchased Option Plus for the extra bag and priority boarding, and it really helped me get settled in quicker and get my bags faster upon arrival. Very different story out of Lisbon on the return flight. There was a huge line in a maze for the 3 or 4 regular check-ins, and a single file with about 8 people in the Option Plus. I was the 9th in that line. It took at least 40 minutes to process the ones in front of me. We slowly watched as everyone else was processed before, and after the line was almost cleared, one of the counters closed, and two others were still there but chatting to each other, when they could have helped with the Option Plus standstill. This was an absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable situation for having paid for priority check-in and boarding, and seeing staff idling about. When I finally got done dropping my bags, passed security, an additional passport check, and had to walk 20 minutes to what was probably the furthest terminal at the airport, everyone else was piled up in an unorganized manner for boarding and I asked at the counter where the line for Option Plus boarding was. There wasn't one. There were two attendants at the counter talking to each other, and one female attendant sitting behind the counter pointed and told me to talk to the person checking boarding passes for everyone else and have him let me through. She could have very well checked my boarding pass and passport and let me through, but no, redirected me to the huge line. This man completely ignored me as I asked 3 times "excuse me, sir" gradually raising my voice each time. Eventually he noticed me and let me through by undoing the "rope", while I got nasty looks from other passengers who insisted on pushing me out of the way and not letting me through either. I actually got fed up and raised my voice with "Sorry, Option Plus, excuse me" and stepped in. This could have been avoided with a proper Option Plus separate line, or with proper attention from the staff, but most importantly, with actually processing Option Plus passengers BEFORE regular fare. I feel like I didn't receive the value for what I paid for the return trip. Toronto to Lisbon experience is a 10/10. Lisbon to Toronto would get a zero if I could, but at least onboard service was good. My rating is based on the return flight.
RouteLisbon to Toronto
Date FlownOctober 2017

"cheap and stingy and poor"

Not Verified | Manchester to Toronto. I am a 24 year old single mum of my first baby and this was my first time flying with my baby. The flight was of a very good price at £350, fights are direct and leave and return at great times.They offer lovely food and drink. They fly from Manchester and London which are great points. On my flight to Toronto I had to book my seat with my baby bassinet in advance. I could not book it online, it was an incredibly fussy and tedious process of waiting a long time on the phone only to have to fork out £50 per way and request usage of the bassinet - the only one on the flight. Heaven knows what they do if more than one small baby boards the flight. The seat itself was not even right beside the bassinet, it was not particularly comfortable and the bassinet was way high above reach. The flight attendants were all too happy to pay attention to the elder folk around me but took no time to pay attention to me and my baby and ask if we were okay. You have to pay for a “comfort set” - pay for your ear phones and blanket on a long distance flight. This says to me cheap and stingy and poor. I bought a gourmet meal; I got my food and drink - very nice in fact, until they came around with standard meals and drinks and offered me a drink. They said because I had had wine with my gourmet meal I “wasn’t allowed” it unless I paid. Technical errors trying to check in online. My flight home the airline staff forgot to give me a bag for my pram at check in to cover it, when I arrived to board they had no spares and made no rush to check for me. At boarding me and my then 3 month old baby were told to stand back and let the elderly and wheelchairs board, then we were told that the “Plus” option passengers had priority before us to board so we must wait for them to board. On the flight, my baby was sick and tired and I had to bounce him on my lap or he would have screamed. An air hostess came to me and said, “The lady in the plus section in front of you has complained that you are making her seat vibrate because you’re bouncing your baby.” To which I responded, “What would you like me to do?” And she just laughed falsely and walked away.
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownApril 2018

"no date when bag will arrive"

Trip Verified | Manchester to Vancouver. Lost bags of me and 15 others (!) Keep getting told they will arrive, then they won't, then they will. Have no clothes 3 days later and no date when bag will arrive. Customer service are no help. Avoid!
RouteManchester to Vancouver
Date FlownMay 2018

"airline lost my luggage"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Paris. This is a very irresponsible company with bad customer service. After a long wait of delayed flight (5 hours delay) I arrived to Paris on May 5th, 2018. After a long flight I went to pick up my luggage and it was a nightmare when I realized the airline lost my luggage. I filed a complaint and I was told that I was going to get my luggage delivered next day. It is May 9th, they have not bother to call me to provide me an status of when they are planning to deliver my luggage.
RouteToronto to Paris
Date FlownMay 2018

"customer service completely brutal"

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Toronto. The flight and the crew were awesome, but the customer service after arrival has been completely brutal. I’ve been waiting to have my luggage shipped from Toronto to Regina for eight days now. We landed during the Pearson Airport storm, so a few days delay for baggage was acceptable, but after eight days I still have not recovered my suitcase. Long hours of being on hold on the phone and no compensation or apology or anything. Story keeps changing. I would never ever fly with this airline again until they get their act together.
RouteLisbon to Toronto