Air Transat

"Very disappointing flight"

Verified Review | Calgary to Vancouver. The worst experience with Air Transat that I have ever had. The 1030pm flight was delayed 50 minutes. I was given the furthest back seat and I realized that there was an audio system in the cabin above my seat. To play the safety video, one of the short flight attendants said 'excuse me' and stepped on the edge of my seat that I was sitting on. Little flesh of my leg got squeezed but I couldn't move for her safety. Not only once but a few times, she stepped on back and forth to play and stop the video and I thought that was rude. After that, during the whole flight, the flight attendants were very loud chatting at the back and I couldn't sleep at all. When we finally arrived, I saw staff unloading bags literally throwing! This airline does not possess manner, customer service nor care. Very disappointing flight with Air Transat and I would never recommend this airline.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver
Date FlownOctober 2017

"cabin crew were very professional and pleasant"

Verified Review | I had a good flight from Glasgow to Toronto with Air Transat. Cabin crew were first class, on my return flight again cabin crew were very professional and pleasant. The aircraft was clean, a good choice of entertainment and the meals were ok. Thank you for a great service and excellent value for money.
RouteToronto to Glasgow
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"the worst meal we have had"

Verified Review | Montreal to Prague. We found the dinner offering of a hot sandwich the worst meal we have had on a cross Atlantic flight. We fly 2 times a year across to Europe and this was the worst meal any airline had provided us. We paid for option plus and received no complimentary drink. The bar service after the meal never happened. The quality of the food service would make seriously think about traveling on Air Transat. We had taken a Air Transat flight last June from Venice to Toronto and the food was much better and the complimentary beverage was actually provide. It would seem Air Transat has made a conscious decision to downgrade the quality of the food they serve.
RouteMontral to Prague
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"did not get our sport luggage"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Amsterdam via Toronto. The worst experience. Apart from the inflight service which was pretty low, we did not get our sport luggage on arrival back home and it's impossible to talk to someone who knows and obtain information about our luggage. It is a nightmare and the company doesn't seem to care. We are left with numbers and email addresses that do not answer and no idea of where our luggage is. I presume it's lost and therefore we are looking into compensation.
RouteVancouver to Amsterdam via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"left without our baggage"

Verified Review | We left Toronto for Lisbon and because of baggage strike the plane got delayed 2.5 hours. Plane left without our baggage, and we had to wait 5 hours at Lisbon airport to give info to lost baggage. There was no Air Transat rep to be seen at all. Baggage took 2 days to arrive at the hotel. The food on the plane was awful.
RouteToronto to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Really bad airline to fly"

Verified Review | Manchester to Toronto. Really bad airline to fly. Selected my seats and when went on the plane, some other family was sitting on our seats and when I complained they did not help me at all. I was looking forward for my Canada trip but the start of the journey was very bad and I had to sit on the other seats from my family and my 2 year old son always liked to come to my seat but I could not do that. It made worst when coming back, I selected extra leg room seats and they did not give me that -I booked the seats but they did not give that too and there was not anyone who can help us. I did not want to argue so I just sit at the given seats but I decided that I will never fly with this airline. I travelled a lot but did not have such an experience before.
RouteManchester to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"food was actually edible for a change"

Verified Review | This was my annual round trip to visit my family in BC. Have done this trip most years since 1989, so have used a motley collection of airlines. Of them all, Air Transat was the first one I said I'd never use again, back in 2001, but have now been stuck with it for the past three years since it took over my non-stop route. This year was an improvement on last. The food was actually edible for a change. Everything was on time. There were no passport queues when I entered Vancouver. There were no check-in or security queues when I departed Vancouver. The flight was comfortable. The crew were efficient (although I do miss the entertaining Canadian crews of the other airlines). The inflight entertainment was ok with a choice of 30 films. I was not very keen on the purple ceiling lights. It was only in the bathroom did you realise you were on an old plane - the cabin fully refurbished but the wash basins - the old crackle cream ones - were a dead giveaway. Happy to fly with them again.
RouteVancouver to Manchester
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Never fly Air Transat again"

Verified Review | Glasgow to Calgary via Toronto. Of the 4 flights on our return journey only one plane was decent - newish, roomy enough, seat back entertainment system. The other 3 planes were old, cramped and no seat back entertainment which isn't good for a transatlantic flight. Baggage took ages to arrive. We sat on the plane for over an hour in Toronto waiting to depart. On our return the flight that was meant to depart Toronto at nearly midnight was delayed 1.5 hours which is hard going when travelling with a 5 year old child. Most of the staff were pleasant though especially 2 of the female cabin staff who helped me when I fainted on the first better aeroplane. This has not happened to me for years so it was unexpected. They also switched the scheduled type of aeroplane at the last minute on one of our flights probably as not enough bookings so we got a TERRIBLE plane from Toronto to the UK. Never will we fly Air Transat again.
RouteGlasgow to Calgary via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"customer service does not care"

Verified Review | Calgary to Amsterdam. I found such a bargain with direct flight to Amsterdam, also with 7 hours between flights on the way back via Vancouver I would be able to set several business meetings with my partners. Oh, was I wrong! The results are: I had to pay nearly $1000 for additional flights, nearly missed my conference, had to cancel my meetings in Vancouver, and from Vancouver to Calgary flew in so old aircraft. if you are going to use the service of Air Transat, be warned: the plane may be late 1-3 hours; customer service does not care about you and refuse to help you. The company is so badly organized, that one hand does not know what the other does: for example, we were told to take our luggage in Vancouver and give it back to Transat desk worker, who was supposed to check it in again. We spent an hour running all over the airport trying to find one Air Transat worker. No luck: they did not know that their own plane was late 2.5 hours and left. Later, they asked us to pay again for luggage, because "we kept it for too long".
RouteCalgary to Amsterdam
Date FlownAugust 2017

"thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly"

Verified Review | Flew London Gatwick to Vancouver. Air Transat is exactly what it says on the tin - it's North America’s best leisure airline. It leads WestJet and Rouge, and probably isn't as good as Air Canada or British Airways, but I saved 400 CAD / 250 GBP by flying with them. On both the outward and return leg, I pass chaotic check-in desks for other airlines to find no queue on Air Transat. Easy and fast. While Transat are not in the Gatwick Connects scheme, you can use it to self-connect to other airlines on arrival (only) at Gatwick. I connected to easyJet very smoothly (max 6 hours later) which saved me taking by bags to a different terminal and queuing up to check in again. This option was cheaper than the other connections I could have booked, all of which involved late night arrivals at both ends. The plane was clean and new with mood lighting. A couple of the seats had issues - on one occasion a passenger near me had a faulty headphone jack so they upgraded him to Option Plus (comfort kit, free alcoholic drinks) and gave him the gourmet meal. On another occasion, the passenger reported a headrest issue and as there were still 15 minutes before departure, they had a couple of mechanics come and fix it. Basic but passable hot meal (with one free glass of wine or beer) as well as a pizza slice on the way out. On the way back, the meal was a choice of hot sandwich and the snack was a small slice of carrot cake, filling but a bit cheap on a 9-hour flight. Still, I could have upgraded to the gourmet meal for C$25 each way and then I would have eaten better than on AC/BA economy and still saved. Also, my fellow passenger had the Option Plus wine which was much nicer than the free stuff. Again, if it's important to you, you pay a little extra and you can get it. The crew were nice on the outward flight and polite enough on the inward leg, but I senses some morale issues. Inflight entertainment on screens - not a great selection (39 movies, 20 or so music artists, a small selection of TV shows) but you didn't have to download an app and stream it on your own device (WJ/Rouge) and everyone also gets a USB port for charging. Flights delayed by about 30 minutes on both occasions. All in all, I would always choose a full service carrier if the prices were the same. That being said, I'm thankful that Transat has broken the monopoly. With so many things you can upgrade (before or during the flight), you can basically choose the flight you want and the price you want.
AircraftA330-200