Air Transat

"airline is not reliable"

Trip Verified | When I booked the round trip flight from Vancouver to Varadero, I also selected the seats with the payment of $100. However, when we checked both in YVR and Varadero airports, we were given different seats. We were very disappointed with the service. On January 30th 2018, I sent an email to ask for a refund, the answer was they will send a feedback within 10 days. Up to today, February 14, 2018, no reply has been sent from Air Transat. So far, I have sent 3 emails to ask the same question, but nothing has change. This airline is not reliable and not worth to buy any service provided. I don’t think I will not take this airline for my vacation.
RouteVancouver to Varadero
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"plane was making a stop-over"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Punta Cana. Air Transat's prices are lower than other airlines', but not so much lower as to warrant choosing them. They need to understand that money is not everything. Stress and broken trust are just as important in the long run, and will cost them many customers. We chose this airline for our holiday trip for the sole reason that it was advertised, and confirmed upon booking, as a non-stop flight to that particular destination. Not "direct" but specifically "non-stop." West Jet offered a very similar price for a comparable duration of flight, but was upfront about a stopover. When it came time to check in, we found that the departure time had been advanced by 2.5 hours because now the plane was making a stop-over. If you've worked a long shift the previous day and cannot sleep on planes, getting up at 3 am compared to 5:30 is not a pleasant start to a holiday. The same added stop-over for the return trip, only this time the plane was scheduled to arrive late rather than leave early. We arrived home in the early hours of the morning. Say what you want about the fine print and their right to add a stop, but false advertising is still false advertising when you speak plain English. The booking number they give you on confirmation is useless when you try to access My Booking: the system keeps telling you that the number cannot be found. It was impossible to log and select seats even with the option to pay for them, and by the time we checked in for the flight, all the window seats with an adjacent middle seat were taken. They can't seem to get organized even when the customer is willing to pay for seat selection. I have nothing negative to say about the flights themselves and the onboard service; the personnel are friendly and helpful.
RouteVancouver to Punta Cana
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"no food for everyone even kids"

Trip Verified | Cancun to Toronto. Our flight had 3 hours delay which was not a big deal, but worse part was having no food for everyone even kids. They were explaining that it's finished and who were sitting on the first rows bought all of foods! I registered my kid for Kids Club but there isn't any advantage - no special things nothing. When they don't have enough food and the flight has delay, it suppose to serve kids first then everybody.
RouteCancun to Toronto

"cramped and uncomfortable"

Trip Verified | My husband and I travel at least once a year by plane, but we will never travel again with Air Transat. We arrived at Toronto Airport January 24 at 5:30pm from Montego Bay. The seating is terribly cramped and uncomfortable. A small drink of water, soda or juice is offered during a 4 plus hour trip: however, you can order a small amount of food (piece of pizza and drink). A can of beer or mixed drink is an outrageous price. There is no way of resting on this airline as the entire time passengers are bothered relentlessly by airline staff encouraging them to spend, spend, spend on overpriced junk. Earbuds (to watch a movie) are a price of $9.00 per passenger. If you're the unlucky ones (as we were) seated in front of the emergency exits, your seat at the same cost as all other seats, does not recline: however, you may be offered free earbuds that do not work at those seats, and if you ask for assistance in getting the earbuds to work and the flight staff simply ask others around you if their earbuds work then proceeded to do nothing any further, much less, they don't have the decency to come back to you with an answer or assistance - they simply move on as though you didn't ask them for help at all. Disgusting! When we left Jamaica we had our bag with two bottles of boxed rum and a couple of breakable items labeled with white tape marked in large bold red letters reading fragile, and we paid $35.00 American dollars to put that bag through. Upon arrival at Pearson Airport in Toronto Canada, we found the bottles of rum and breakables broken - the luggage ruined. We then went to the Air Transat rep and received a pile of attitude from staff refused to address our complaint.Another Air Transat rep stepped up and told us there was nothing he could do or would do about the broken goods or soiled luggage but gave us the brush by handing us a Air Transat card to call the office.
RouteMontego Bay to Toronto
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"the legroom was fine"

Trip Verified | Nice to Montreal. I booked a ticket from Air Transat 2 days before the flight as I missed my flight during my stay in Nice. They have the "Option Plus" which gives you 2 baggage allowances and some other extras. Plane was an A310-300, pretty old (around 25 years old) There was no personal IFE, moreover I was sitting in a window seat and I kept hitting my head to the side because of the shape of the plane. There were wires going under the armrest (see photo) which seemed weird to me. Seat itself was comfortable and the legroom was fine. Drinks were provided throughout the plane, and I had a full meal (chicken) which wasn't bad at all.
RouteNice to Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2017

"said I’d never do it again"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Montego Bay. When leaving Toronto they got us all to board the plane and then we sat there for almost 2 hours it started to snow, about an hr and a half of sitting on the plane we were lucky to get out of Toronto. Then on the flight to Jamaica the flight attendants were nice but flustered seemed to have no idea what was going on and the landing was the worst I’ve experienced, then went to claim our bags and both were damaged. Then we booked a catamaran excursion at the resort and it was through air transat the boat company was Chukka and they said drinks were all inclusive come to find out on the boat all they had was beer and rum punch my girlfriend hates both those things so she couldn’t drink then we get to Margaritville thinking maybe they will have better drinks there but they are charging 6-7USD for beer and drinks at a so called all inclusive excursion that’s ridiculous. I have nothing bad to say about the resort we stayed at the Grande Bahia Principe in Runaway Bay it is an amazing resort good food, entertainment, drinks, cleanliness, and staff. As for the trip back we got picked up at 9am from resort we checked our bags at 10:30am and they said the flight was an hour late so we thought nothing of it and went through security then we get up and see the board and it’s delayed 5 hours then we tryed to go out to have a smoke now knowing we’re delayed for so long but they wouldn’t let us out they said we needed an Air Transat rep to let us out so we found them all sitting in waiting chairs doing nothing in the airport and they wouldn’t take us out and we’re laughing about it after the fact very unprofessional. I also flew with Air Transat to Cuba the year before and said I’d never do it again I only went this time because my trip was paid for as a gift but I wouldn’t go again on a trip with them if it was free.
RouteToronto to Montego Bay

"Service is bad overall"

Trip Verified | Puerto Vallarta to Toronto. The crew was nice and commend them for trying to provide better service, however, the plane flying into my destination and return has no wi-fi service and no entertainment on board, which I think is unbearable for almost 6 hour flight. The plane was also delayed on my first leg of the flight, and on return to YYZ - we didn't get our luggage until after more than 1 hour and 10 minutes. Service is bad overall.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Toronto

"abysmal customer service"

Trip Verified | Montreal to Cancun. On flight TS560, when I rang to see a flight attendant, nobody ever came to see me. They only came when it was time to serve beverages. When arrived at Cancun Airport, the Air Transat agents in the bus stop were completely disorganized. We had to change 3 times our waiting spot to finally board a shuttle to our hotel. All that after one hour wait on the bus stop. We weren't greeted with any contact at the hotel for the week we were there (like every other airline does). So I missed important information for my trip. For the trip back, we waited for over an hour before being able to board the airplane. The flight attendants got stuck in traffic between their hotel and the airport. No communication was ever given to passengers about the wait. Only when we took off in flight TS561 that the pilot explained to us and apologized. One passenger had grievances about the fact we were not made aware of the wait before, and the flight attendant told her it could have been anything that could've delayed the flight, so we don't need to always communicate delays. When we got back home, I called their customer service, and I was served with total indifference. No excuses given. She even ended the call by saying "We can't please everyone" and "people call us to say that we are better than other companies". Abysmal customer service. I will not book with them for my next trip to the Caribbean.
RouteMontreal to Cancun
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I will give a good rating"

Trip Verified | Montréal to Montego Bay. This is a mixed review. On the negative side, I boarded the plane and proceeded to tell one flight attendant that I was going to Montego Bay with my son to celebrate my 50th birthday and that I had been flying for over 25 years and would it be possible during the flight to see the cockpit with the pilots for the first time ever, she said maybe when we land. It’s not that she said no, it was her manner, just uncaring with a phony smile (this trip was very special for me). On a positive note, there was a very warm, genuine flight attendant on that flight who was kind and definitely belonged in that job. I even thanked her when I disembarked. I will give a good rating to Transat because of the impression that she left with me.
RouteMontréal to Montego Bay
Date FlownNovember 2017

"they don't care about loyalty"

Trip Verified | We booked to depart from Vancouver at 8:20 am on 26 Dec 2017 travelling with a family of 4 to Cancun for 8 days. We live in Victoria and either need to fly to Vancouver (30min) or take a ferry and drive (3 hours). We booked our vacation so we can take a 5:30 am flight from Victoria to Vancouver on the 26th of Dec 2017 (the first flight out from Victoria), arrive in Vancouver by 6:00 am, thus leaving us 2h 20 min to catch the international flight with Air Transat at 8:20 am. This flight from Victoria to Vancouver is $773.84 rtn, plus an overnight on the return in hotel at $289.95 as the flight back from Cancun arrives at 10 pm 3 Jan 2018 and there are no flights from Vancouver to Victoria at that time. Our Air Transat vacation not including the Victoria to Vancouver flights and Hotel in Vancouver on return was paid out as $10,484 to Air Transat on 20 October 2017. 24 November we receive notification that Air Transat changed the flight on 26 Dec 2017 to depart at 6:25 am, which will not leave us the time necessary to make the international connection. We contact Air Transat to discuss our concern and how their flight change will effect us ($420 to change our flights to 8:20 pm on 25 Dec 2017 from 26 Dec 5:30 am from Victoria BC and now a hotel on 25 Dec 2017 at a cost of $265.38). As opposed to sympathy and a helping hand due to their change a month after we booked this vacation and a month remaining before the departure date, we were told it is not their problem and we could cancel our trip and receive a 50% refund or figure out what we need to do to make their flight We have now had 4 vacations plus this one with them ... our loyalty obviously means nothing. Bottom line and money in their pocket seems to be the only option, and how their change has effected loyal customers means nothing. I suggest they don't care about loyalty. I dealt with this issue from 8 am to 11:27 am this morning, being put on hold multiple times, speaking to 4 different people and this is the final decision and offer "We can give you 50% refund on your package and cancel it". Not very impressed at all to say the least.
RouteVancouver to Cancun