Air Tahiti Nui

"customer service is terrible"

Verified Review | On January 17th, 2017 me and my husband travelled from Los Angeles to Auckland, New Zealand. Our flight with Air Tahiti Nui delayed almost 7 hrs because of mechanical issues with the plain in Los Angeles. When we informed the representative about our travel destination is Melbourne, she promised no problem, we will taken care of you and rebook you to other flight to make sure you reach your destination. Of course that was not the case. Because of the flight delay we missed our connecting flight in Auckland to Melbourne. Not Air Tahiti and not Air New Zealand helped us in any way when we ask help in the airport too. Both airlines pointed their finger to each other. The bottom line is we had to purchase 2 one way tickets for next day to Melbourne; cost us $800 dollars and we had to sleep in the airport in Auckland. I filed a complaint with both Airlines and I never heard back from Air Tahiti ever. I sent the e-mail to them 4 times without any acknowledgment or anything. Also, I tried to call them for a follow up, but the person on the phone told me I can reach their customer service only by e-mail. Their customer service is terrible. If you have any other airlines you can use, use other carrier.
RouteLos Angeles to Auckland
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"positive aspect was the service"

Verified Review | When booking my flight from Los Angeles to Paris, I was thinking about Air France. I came across Air Tahiti Nui as a quick and cheap departure option on Expedia. I wasn't too sure about this airline. When we got to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), we stood in the check-in line. The lady checking in our luggage was very nice and professional. As she was checking our passports and wrapping the badges on our luggage, she warned us about frequent delays on this particular flight. As she anticipated, we were delayed for about an hour or more. This was imperative because we had a shuttle service in Paris who had our initial arrival time and had to wait for us. Anyway, we boarded the aircraft and noticed that our economy seats were very small and tight. For an 11 hour flight, these seats were terribly tiny and uncomfortable. The inflight entertainment was very limited. The movie selection was limited and there wasn't a variety of genres. The positive aspect of this airline was the service. The attendants aboard the flight were efficient, responsive, cooperative, and professional. I can't think of anything else to say about the staff. The food onboard the flight was just like your generic airline food. It was cold, slimy, and disgusting. I recommend purchasing food and snacks prior your flight in the terminal. Overall, staff was great but accommodations and passenger convenience weren't well.
RouteLos Angeles to Paris
Date FlownApril 2016

"cabin staff appeared only moderately trained"

Verified Review | Flew Papeete to Auckland with Air Tahiti Nui. The original plane we were to take had mechanical problems so we waited for 3 hours for another plane. It appeared that there was quite a bit of confusion with this and whilst waiting we noticed the very slow boarding and taking off process of other planes. When it came our turn, whilst all were on board it still took over a half an hour to count and recount passengers. The food on both flights to and from Papeete was substandard and in two cases inedible. The cabin staff appeared only moderately trained and made me wonder how they would perform if there was a problem. Tahiti and the surrounding islands and its people are wonderful. On a return trip I would select another airline. On arrival at Auckland airport, it took three hours to organise our accomodation due to missed connections.
AircraftA340-300
RoutePapeete to Auckland
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"experience not to be renewed"

Verified Review | We booked Air New Zealand London to Papeete via Los Angeles. Flights from Los Angeles to Papeete are operated by Air Tahiti Nui. What surprised us that we were asked to check in at Papeete the proof of our flights Los Angeles to London while the flight was made in code-share with Air New Zealand. No online check in was possible, no seats were available by calling 72 hours before, but by miracle they were available at check in after getting the check in manager to assist. We kept our original seats. There is a limit to stupid systems. In short, an experience not to be renewed on Air Tahiti Nui. If this airline did not have the exclusivity on Papeete they would have disappeared a long time ago. Nous avons fait une réservation Air New Zealand Londres Papeete via Los Angeles. Les vols Los Angeles Papeete étant effectué par votre compagnie. Quelle ne fut pas notre surprise qu’on nous demande à l’enregistrement à Papeete la preuve de nos vols Los Angeles Londres alors que le vol était effectué en code-share avec Air New Zealand… Pas d’enregistrement en ligne possible, pas de places disponibles hublot en appelant 72 heures avant mais par miracle il y en avait de disponible au check in après avoir fait venir la responsable du check in. Nous avons gardé nos places d’origine. Il y a une limite à la bétise. Bref une expérience à ne pas renouveller sur Air Tahiti Nui. Si vous n’aviez pas l’exclusivité sur Papeete vous auriez disparu depuis bien longtemps.
RoutePapeete to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"service was practically non existent"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Papeete (Tahiti) return. Both flights left over one hour late. While we were waiting for the plane to leave the terminal at LAX, the captain announced that we would be delayed for an hour to wait on 25 late passengers. After waiting for more than an hour and seeing a few passengers board, we finally left. This must have been the plane that was not updated as is mentioned in so many negative reviews. The tv screen in front of my seat had so many lines in it was not worth watching. What was so disappointing was the service on this flight which was practically non existent. Cups of water were served in the same size cups used in a water cooler and two would not equal one measuring cup. I received two before the crew retired for most of the flight. Drinks were served to the middle rows and when I asked for one, I was told she would come back but never did. When I pressed the call button, it was answered 5 minutes later by a male steward who said "what do you want"? He returned with my drink order which was wrong. During most of the flight, the stewardess would walk by so fast that if you said something to get their attention, they were already 4 rows behind you. Never once did I see one walking down the aisles looking at the passengers faces to see if they needed anything. The return flight also left over one hour late. The breakfast served included a sausage that I believe was bad. No cruise is worth the 8 hours I had to spend on each flight. I ended up bringing my own snacks and water to make sure I would have some on the return flight.
RoutePapeete to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"staff very nice and helpful"

(French Polynesia)

Papeete to Los Angeles. We really enjoyed flying with Air Tahiti Nui. The staff is very nice and helpful. The seats are colorfull, the screens are good quality with recent movies. Everything is free onboard. We really recommend this airline.
RoutePPT to LAX
Date FlownJune 2016

"recommend avoiding Air Tahiti Nui"

Verified Review | I would recommend avoiding Air Tahiti Nui. Our outbound flight from the US was uneventful. The plane, however, was in poor shape, with threadbare carpet, outdated seatback entertainment (some flights don't even have screens), sagging seatback pockets and below average food and service. The flight was on-time, though, and we were headed to paradise, so we could overlook these minor issues, even though the flight cost, even for an economy ticket, was at a premium price point. On our return trip is where we ran into serious issues. There was a mechanical delay on our flight, which postponed our departure for 24 hours. We waited in line for 3 hours before we had the delay and rebooking information, however, and were told that there was no possibility of being moved to one of the three other PPT-LAX flights that Air Tahiti Nui had before our rescheduled flight left. They put us up in a nice hotel overnight, so we weren't too upset at spending another day in Papeete. We had booked all of our ongoing flights out of LAX on our own due to my wife and I parting ways after the trip and her complicated international travel. Upon getting to the hotel, I began the process of rebooking all of those flights, as we were given the new departure information the following night. After breakfast the following morning, we were feeling pretty good about everything, when I just happened to check the Air Tahiti Nui website to see if our flight was still on time. Nope, we were delayed another 9 hours, which then caused us to miss all of our rebooked connections from LAX. We did not receive any notification from the airline about this additional delay. At this point, Air Tahiti Nui really let us down. They did not rebook us on any of the other departing flights for LAX. They had no consideration for connecting flights. In order for my wife to make her destination in time, we had to reroute her on another Air Tahiti Nui flight to Tokyo-Narita. They would not apply any of the funds we used for the PPT-LAX flight, nor would they simply book her on that flight at no cost due to the mechanical issue. When we spoke to customer service, we had to find all of our own solutions due to their incompetence and lack of understanding. To top it all off, they were completely indifferent and unapologetic. To this day, almost one month later, we have not been engaged by their customer service department for reparations after repeated emails and phone calls. Based on our experience, I would recommend a few things: There are other carriers that fly to/from Tahiti (Air France, Hawaiian Air, etc). Look into them and see if they are an option for you. Take a vacation somewhere else. There are a lot of nice spots in the world, and while Tahiti is exotic and amazing, our poor air travel and all that followed totally clouded our experience. If you still decide to go, and to go with Air Tahiti Nui, try to book all of your air travel through them on one ticket. Or, if you are booking your own connections, be sure to have some flexibility on your US arrival (a day or two in LA on the back end).
RoutePPT to LAX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"poor service and terrible seats"

(New Zealand)

Flew Air Tahiti Nui from Auckland to Los Angeles. Firstly the customer service is terrible and they can't change seats on a near empty flight because they are "not allowed to". Once on the plane I realised how uncomfortable the seats were, hard and no leg room. The service is terrible as they barely speak english and don't seem to care about customers. They served drinks once on the flight and would not get a coke for me so they just gave the terrible orange juice that was served with breakfast. The food was horrible. Entertainment barely works and is outdated. The headphones they give you are terrible and you can't hear anything with them. No space for items so I say you put your items in the overhead because you can barely fit an iPhone into the seat back pocket. I do not recommend this airline because of it's poor service and terrible seats.
RouteAKL to LAX
Date FlownApril 2016

"the airline was punctual"

I flew Air Tahiti Nui in December of 2015 from LAX going to eventual spot of Bora Bora. The flight was good and the airline was punctual. Food was decent and we were fed twice on the flight. Had entertainment to keep you busy in watching movies and the cabin crew was helpful.
RouteLAX to PPT
Date FlownDecember 2015

"service cold and lacklustre"

Los Angeles to Papeete with Air Tahiti Nui. Travelers beware! Reservation agents rude and unwilling to process cancellation within 24 hours of booking and website does not allow online cancellation. Plane was very old. The seat, arm rest, tray table and TV monitor buttons are worn or torn. Onboard service was cold and lackluster. This airline certainly cannot compete with world-class airlines. Fly Air France to Tahiti if you are looking for superior experience.
RouteLAX to PPT