Air Tahiti Nui

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th May 2015

LAX-PPT-LAX. Having read some of the reviews on here I was a bit worried about what we'd encounter on these flights. Both were overnight so we tried to sleep and made no use of the entertainment system. The aircraft interior was clean and well maintained and the crew were very good. Breakfast was decent. The seat is angled lie flat but reasonably comfortable. Both flights were on time and bags were off quickly. The only downside I could see was the high fares due to I assume lack of competition.

Review by (United States) 20th April 2015

We flew on April 7 and 14 back and forth to Papeete. While the airline staff were friendly and helpful sadly we had an older plane that was not clean and the seats were extremely uncomfortable for our overnight flights. A standard roller bag carry on will not fit in the overhead compartment wheels first and had to be placed sideways. They don't really weigh your carry on at check in but the weight amount of 22 lbs is generous. They didn't weigh or even notice our backpacks. The tray tables were dirty the bathrooms were not kept up during flight and the seats/floor were stained throughout the cabin. I brought Clorox wipes after reading prior reviews to clean off our seating area and felt better after doing so. The amenities were nice such as the overnight flight kit pillows and blankets which were a pleasant feature. The food was not very good at all cold and soggy. The best bet is to bring something such as a Powerbar if you are a picky eater. The movies on the plane were of a good selection but when flying overnight you don't have much time to watch a movie if you are trying to rest. The flight was bumpy both ways but the pilot was considerate in not keeping the seat belt light on for an over-extended period of time. My suggestion is to ask at check in if there are two seats together to transfer to if you are stuck in the row of four you will be much more comfortable. Row 43 (a row of 4) in the back has in seat tray tables so you can't lift the armrest if traveling with a companion and this is not noted anywhere even on Seat Guru. The airport in Papeete is under construction and it took over 2.5 hours for the two planes that arrived at the same time to clear passport control which made us miss the ferry to Moorea. In conclusion if flying to Tahiti again I would try to find a different airline when booking but would likely fly this one again if I had too as the destination is paradise.
Seat Comfort N/A

Review by (United States) 4th March 2015

My wife and I flew Air Tahiti from LAX to Tahiti and back. We will never make that mistake again. First the interior of the plane was in poor condition. The seats were old uncomfortable and stained. The digital display (which was from the stone age) did not function properly and the resolution was so bad that I elected to just keep it off. Second the seating layout is awful. If you are not in a window section you will be crammed in the middle of the plane in a row of four seats. I flew for 8 hours fighting over the armrest with a total stranger. Lastly my wife reserved a gluten free meal (she has celiac) and she was given raw vegetables a rice cake and yoghurt for breakfast.

Review by (New Caledonia) 6th February 2015

Flew Business Class from PPT to LAX only 1 out of 5 planes is older and we had a new cabin. Seats comfortable food excellent service very good. Before Takeoff Captain came through the business class to great every guest personally. If I get the same service every time I would most definitely fly with them again. They are as good as some major Asian Airlines and Miles better than any US Airline I flew recently.

Review by (New Zealand) 5th January 2015

Terrible service. Food was better in economy. Seats were awful - unable to adjust it so you could get comfortable and we are 5ft and 6ft so it should have worked for one of us. Headphone socket broken so unable to watch movies or listen to music. Staff just said 'we can't fix it in flight'. Movies NOT on-demand and you are not informed when they start. Definitely not worth the extra. This was AKL-PPT. Go with Air NZ instead.

Review by (United States) 3rd November 2014

Round trip LAX-PPT last 2 weeks of 10/14. Flight out was an old aircraft inflight entertainment was awful. Video worse than your 1957 TV. Service and food ok+. Flight back was newer aircraft and entertainment display was good but content severely limited. Gate agent in PPT refused the check through in domestic USA via the post customs LAX baggage transfer service. She was inflexible and rude about it. They advertise in their magazine they have a deal with Alaska Air my domestic carrier. Alaska in LAX confirmed the deal and that AT was erratic in conforming to the agreement. Moving baggage around LAX isn't fun. Very poor treatment of a business class customer.

Review by (United States) 28th October 2014

Booked C class round trip LAX-PPT. Did not like the previous reviews so I was a little apprehensive. Also as I understand it only 3 of their 5 aircraft have the new C class. As is turned out the new seats were very adequate. At 20.5 they are a tad tight and they do not fully recline. Nonetheless my wife and I were able to sleep most of the way on a long late night flight. Staff were gracious and professional. Food and drink were very adequate but nothing special. All in all a good experience. Tahiti is a very special place and this is as good as it gets.

Review by (France) 14th September 2014

Flew from CDG to LAX (return) in late August 2014 / early Sept 2014. Awful customer service. The check-in-staff have absolutely no warmth or charm and made no attempt to fulfil my seat request; they were quite abrupt in refusing it moreover. In-air-staff are likewise very poor. Aircraft was old and seats are inadequate. I will never use this airline again. I often travel on Asian airlines and Air Tahiti Nui is way way below par.

Review by (Czech Republic) 15th July 2014

LAX to Papeete business class: terrible. Where to start: Old seats straight from the 90's bad shape seats an entertainment system with 4 movies and bad screen quality. Bland food and to top it all magazines which were 3 weeks old. Flight attendants are nonchalant to say the least and you don't see them unless you hunt them down. Forget snacks. Just awful and way below par any other airlines.

Review by (New Zealand) 2nd June 2014

AKL-PPT-LAX-PPT in economy May 2014. Air Tahiti Nui only have five A340 aircraft. We flew on three of these - all were different experiences. The first leg AKL-PPT was on "Moorea" which had an upgraded interior and felt very new and fresh. Leg room seemed adequate for economy however as others have said previously the seat designer should be sacked! The head rest is not ergonomic at all and causes discomfort. The is also no lumbar support. I packed the seat back out with pillows to help. The crew were young friendly and worked the cabin non stop. Food on all flights was edible if not slightly odd - the seat designer must have had input in the menu as well. Entertainment on demand comprised of about 10 of movies (some recent releases) and TV shows. The second flight an 8.5 hr overnight flight from PPT-LAX was on "Nuku Hiva". This aircraft was also retrofitted with the new interior however it felt older. tired and there was a noticeable decrease in leg room despite us being in the same seat number on both flights. The crew were a bit surly and disappeared after trolley service. Again the seats weren't that comfortable due to the awful head rest and lack of leg room. Our third flight overnight from LAX to PPT was on "Bora Bora" which has yet to have it's interior retrofitted. The seats were much more comfortable than the newer version in economy as they lacked the offending head rest but the entertainment is on the old loop system rather than 'on demand'. Would I fly them again? Only if the price was right (we scored half price tickets) - you only get what you pay for!