Vote Now

Air Tahiti Nui

"cabin staff appeared only moderately trained"

Verified Review | Flew Papeete to Auckland with Air Tahiti Nui. The original plane we were to take had mechanical problems so we waited for 3 hours for another plane. It appeared that there was quite a bit of confusion with this and whilst waiting we noticed the very slow boarding and taking off process of other planes. When it came our turn, whilst all were on board it still took over a half an hour to count and recount passengers. The food on both flights to and from Papeete was substandard and in two cases inedible. The cabin staff appeared only moderately trained and made me wonder how they would perform if there was a problem. Tahiti and the surrounding islands and its people are wonderful. On a return trip I would select another airline. On arrival at Auckland airport, it took three hours to organise our accomodation due to missed connections.
AircraftA340-300
RoutePapeete to Auckland
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"experience not to be renewed"

Verified Review | We booked Air New Zealand London to Papeete via Los Angeles. Flights from Los Angeles to Papeete are operated by Air Tahiti Nui. What surprised us that we were asked to check in at Papeete the proof of our flights Los Angeles to London while the flight was made in code-share with Air New Zealand. No online check in was possible, no seats were available by calling 72 hours before, but by miracle they were available at check in after getting the check in manager to assist. We kept our original seats. There is a limit to stupid systems. In short, an experience not to be renewed on Air Tahiti Nui. If this airline did not have the exclusivity on Papeete they would have disappeared a long time ago. Nous avons fait une réservation Air New Zealand Londres Papeete via Los Angeles. Les vols Los Angeles Papeete étant effectué par votre compagnie. Quelle ne fut pas notre surprise qu’on nous demande à l’enregistrement à Papeete la preuve de nos vols Los Angeles Londres alors que le vol était effectué en code-share avec Air New Zealand… Pas d’enregistrement en ligne possible, pas de places disponibles hublot en appelant 72 heures avant mais par miracle il y en avait de disponible au check in après avoir fait venir la responsable du check in. Nous avons gardé nos places d’origine. Il y a une limite à la bétise. Bref une expérience à ne pas renouveller sur Air Tahiti Nui. Si vous n’aviez pas l’exclusivité sur Papeete vous auriez disparu depuis bien longtemps.
RoutePapeete to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"service was practically non existent"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Papeete (Tahiti) return. Both flights left over one hour late. While we were waiting for the plane to leave the terminal at LAX, the captain announced that we would be delayed for an hour to wait on 25 late passengers. After waiting for more than an hour and seeing a few passengers board, we finally left. This must have been the plane that was not updated as is mentioned in so many negative reviews. The tv screen in front of my seat had so many lines in it was not worth watching. What was so disappointing was the service on this flight which was practically non existent. Cups of water were served in the same size cups used in a water cooler and two would not equal one measuring cup. I received two before the crew retired for most of the flight. Drinks were served to the middle rows and when I asked for one, I was told she would come back but never did. When I pressed the call button, it was answered 5 minutes later by a male steward who said "what do you want"? He returned with my drink order which was wrong. During most of the flight, the stewardess would walk by so fast that if you said something to get their attention, they were already 4 rows behind you. Never once did I see one walking down the aisles looking at the passengers faces to see if they needed anything. The return flight also left over one hour late. The breakfast served included a sausage that I believe was bad. No cruise is worth the 8 hours I had to spend on each flight. I ended up bringing my own snacks and water to make sure I would have some on the return flight.
RoutePapeete to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"staff very nice and helpful"

(French Polynesia)

Papeete to Los Angeles. We really enjoyed flying with Air Tahiti Nui. The staff is very nice and helpful. The seats are colorfull, the screens are good quality with recent movies. Everything is free onboard. We really recommend this airline.
RoutePPT to LAX
Date FlownJune 2016

"recommend avoiding Air Tahiti Nui"

Verified Review | I would recommend avoiding Air Tahiti Nui. Our outbound flight from the US was uneventful. The plane, however, was in poor shape, with threadbare carpet, outdated seatback entertainment (some flights don't even have screens), sagging seatback pockets and below average food and service. The flight was on-time, though, and we were headed to paradise, so we could overlook these minor issues, even though the flight cost, even for an economy ticket, was at a premium price point. On our return trip is where we ran into serious issues. There was a mechanical delay on our flight, which postponed our departure for 24 hours. We waited in line for 3 hours before we had the delay and rebooking information, however, and were told that there was no possibility of being moved to one of the three other PPT-LAX flights that Air Tahiti Nui had before our rescheduled flight left. They put us up in a nice hotel overnight, so we weren't too upset at spending another day in Papeete. We had booked all of our ongoing flights out of LAX on our own due to my wife and I parting ways after the trip and her complicated international travel. Upon getting to the hotel, I began the process of rebooking all of those flights, as we were given the new departure information the following night. After breakfast the following morning, we were feeling pretty good about everything, when I just happened to check the Air Tahiti Nui website to see if our flight was still on time. Nope, we were delayed another 9 hours, which then caused us to miss all of our rebooked connections from LAX. We did not receive any notification from the airline about this additional delay. At this point, Air Tahiti Nui really let us down. They did not rebook us on any of the other departing flights for LAX. They had no consideration for connecting flights. In order for my wife to make her destination in time, we had to reroute her on another Air Tahiti Nui flight to Tokyo-Narita. They would not apply any of the funds we used for the PPT-LAX flight, nor would they simply book her on that flight at no cost due to the mechanical issue. When we spoke to customer service, we had to find all of our own solutions due to their incompetence and lack of understanding. To top it all off, they were completely indifferent and unapologetic. To this day, almost one month later, we have not been engaged by their customer service department for reparations after repeated emails and phone calls. Based on our experience, I would recommend a few things: There are other carriers that fly to/from Tahiti (Air France, Hawaiian Air, etc). Look into them and see if they are an option for you. Take a vacation somewhere else. There are a lot of nice spots in the world, and while Tahiti is exotic and amazing, our poor air travel and all that followed totally clouded our experience. If you still decide to go, and to go with Air Tahiti Nui, try to book all of your air travel through them on one ticket. Or, if you are booking your own connections, be sure to have some flexibility on your US arrival (a day or two in LA on the back end).
RoutePPT to LAX
Date FlownJuly 2016

"poor service and terrible seats"

(New Zealand)

Flew Air Tahiti Nui from Auckland to Los Angeles. Firstly the customer service is terrible and they can't change seats on a near empty flight because they are "not allowed to". Once on the plane I realised how uncomfortable the seats were, hard and no leg room. The service is terrible as they barely speak english and don't seem to care about customers. They served drinks once on the flight and would not get a coke for me so they just gave the terrible orange juice that was served with breakfast. The food was horrible. Entertainment barely works and is outdated. The headphones they give you are terrible and you can't hear anything with them. No space for items so I say you put your items in the overhead because you can barely fit an iPhone into the seat back pocket. I do not recommend this airline because of it's poor service and terrible seats.
RouteAKL to LAX
Date FlownApril 2016

"the airline was punctual"

I flew Air Tahiti Nui in December of 2015 from LAX going to eventual spot of Bora Bora. The flight was good and the airline was punctual. Food was decent and we were fed twice on the flight. Had entertainment to keep you busy in watching movies and the cabin crew was helpful.
Date FlownDecember 2015

"service cold and lacklustre"

Los Angeles to Papeete with Air Tahiti Nui. Travelers beware! Reservation agents rude and unwilling to process cancellation within 24 hours of booking and website does not allow online cancellation. Plane was very old. The seat, arm rest, tray table and TV monitor buttons are worn or torn. Onboard service was cold and lackluster. This airline certainly cannot compete with world-class airlines. Fly Air France to Tahiti if you are looking for superior experience.
Date FlownDecember 2015

"worst I have ever seen"

Our original flight was scheduled to depart at 4pm but a few days prior was rescheduled to 7pm. Imagine my surprise while eating a leisurely late lunch at a hotel in Los Angeles when I get an email message from Flight Aware that the flight to Papeete now was rescheduled to the original 4pm departure. We rushed to grab our luggage, grabbed a ride to the airport only to find out that this was wrong and the flight was not to leave until 7pm. They did not load the flight until 7pm and we never took off until way after 8pm as we all sat in the most uncomfortable seats waiting for the last passenger to arrive. I do not know who designed the seating but they are the worst I have ever seen in over fourth years of flying. As for the meal service, bring a sandwich and you will be much better off. What the TV screen tells one what will be served was not even close to it and was not edible. Also if you hold an American Airlines loyalty card the only way you will get mileage credit is to book this codeshare flight through American Airlines as Air Tahiti will not post the miles to your American account. Let the flyer be aware.
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"could not have been nicer"

Los Angeles to Papeete with Air Tahiti Nui. The plane was clean and very comfortable. I agree with a previous reviewer that when extended the seats were somewhat awkward to sleep. But I managed. The dinner they served at midnight was perfect as it was a cold chicken salad and light. The rolls were warm which was very nice. By this time all seemed ready to quickly eat and then sleep. Cabin attendants could not have been nicer trying to make us more comfortable. We fly home in two weeks and will see if we are still so happy with the plane and service but at this point would very much recommend.
Date FlownJanuary 2016