Air Malta

"Aircraft itself was old and shabby"

Verified Review | Highly disappointed. Terrible service. Booked 7 months before the departure date to fly to Malta, received a phone call 5 weeks before the flight date to be told it was no longer direct and we had to fly via Germany, Munich and have a 3 hour wait each way. We purposely booked from Manchester because it was a direct flight and we had booked travel and accommodation before and after the flight, so that we could fly directly from Manchester. I asked if we could change to another airport to therefore fly direct and be compensated for the other bookings lost and they said this was not an option. Take it or leave it basically. Customers service said they couldn't offer any good will or compensation upgrade etc. I will not be booking with them again. They sold a product, then changed it only 5 weeks before with no other offerings or compensation. Aircraft itself was old and shabby with very little room. Business class also looked very disappointing, only a curtain to separate the area and priority boarding are only clear differences. Not worth the extra cost.
RouteManchester to Malta
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Very unfriendly staff"

(Norway)

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Malta. Probably one of my worst flight experiences. Very unfriendly staff, poor food and ordinary, old seats in business class. My luggage arrived at the day of my return flight, and when I requested a compensation of 65 EUR for new clothing, with the receipt included, they started to make a big issue over this by e-mail as I did not keep a document which they told me I wouldn't need. Furthermore this document is printed from their own system.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Malta
Date FlownJune 2017

"attitude of the staff was at best poor"

Verified Review | I have been visiting Malta since 1985 and used several airlines in the early days it was Air Malta but they became to expensive. In 2006 I had a work accident that left me with a disability that I can not climb stairs as not able to bend my left leg and need extra room as need my leg in a semi straight position. I am however quite able to walk around a plane. All other airlines such as Monarch and EasyJet as I have a letter from my consultant supply me with an extra leg room seat free of charge. Not this company. I telephoned direct to pre book extra leg room seats on the plane and was told I had to pay this. I explained no other companies charge, the answer was we do. So to stop an argument I paid. What a con they had booked me standard seats not extra leg room and charged me for this I could have booked them myself when we got the boarding passes online. The service on the plane and attitude of the staff towards disabled people was at best poor.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Malta International
Date FlownApril 2017

"aircraft are old, shabby and dirty"

Verified Review | What a disgrace this sad little airline has become. I fly regularly between Amsterdam and Malta several times a year and unfortunately Air Malta is the only direct option. Air Malta's aircraft are old, shabby and dirty and the leg room is pathetic! Because their economy product is so abysmal I recently decided to travel business class, what a joke! Firstly their is no business class check in lane at Amsterdam airport so this means queueing with everyone else. After waiting for over 30 minutes, I finally arrived at the business class check in counter. Why have a check in counter for business class but no separate check in lane? When I enquired about this I was met with a shrug and giggles, pathetic. Once onboard, the seat (1A) was filthy and the window covered in fingerprints and was so badly scratched I could barely see out of it. There was also rubbish stuffed between the seats. Amazingly to me there was no separation between economy and business, not even a curtain. This meant that the front toilet which is normally reserved for business class was open to everyone. For pretty much the whole flight there was a queue of passengers in the aisle. I paid over €1000 for my ticket and am absolutely shocked that this is what Air MALTA try to pass off as business class. For shame, what an absolute disgrace. This airline is an insult to the beautiful country of Malta and it's good people.
RouteAmsterdam to Malta
Date FlownApril 2017

"never received one apology"

Verified Review | The worst airline I have ever dealt with. Our flight was scheduled to leave Amsterdam at 11.30 and was initially delayed by 2 hours as our plane was in Milan undergoing repairs as there was a technical problem. After an hour of waiting and relocating to another departure gate, we were informed that our flight would not depart until 17.30. We returned to the gate at 15.30 and again our flight had been delayed until 18.30 and moved yet again to another gate. We never received one apology from the staff and were offered a voucher for a meal as compensation. Instead of 4 days in Malta our trip was reduced to 3 days owing to the 7 hour delay. Moreover, had we been informed earlier in the day that our flight would not leave until 18.30 we could have spent he day in Amsterdam rather than stuck in Terminal 2 in Schipol airport. I have used Air Malta before and experienced severe delays on this journey too. After these experiences, I will not use Air Malta again. No professionalism, no efficiency and no apologies.
RouteAmsterdam to Malta
Date FlownMarch 2017

"a nice little airline"

Verified Review | Malta to London Heathrow on 16 February. Online check-in worked fine and showed up at the desk to get a paper boarding pass. Agent friendly and jovial - easy airport to get thru security and plenty of places to eat. Boarding the plane was nice as there are no jetbridges and we just walked from the gate to the plane. A320 with comfortable seats. After boarding mechanics got on the plane and there was a speaker that wasn't working so it took an hour to fix. In the mean-time a FA came to me and asked me to move from 7A to the emergency row window as he said they needed someone to sit there. Never been asked to move to an emergency row but was fine with it. Tons of legroom and a row to myself. Once airborne we were served drinks and a sandwich for free, then they came around with BOB. Just a moving map but enjoyed the views outside of Sicily and the alps. We landed 20 minutes late but quickly off the plane. Air Malta is a nice little airline - hope they continue to grow.
RouteMalta to London Heathrow
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"boarding card an error"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | On my flight from Berlin to Malta Valetta I had a boarding card for the seat 2F issued by Air Malta. At the time of embarking on the ground staff checked and accepted my boarding card. When I sat down I realized that this seat is bigger than the others so I was happy. The stewardessess checked 3 times my boarding card and gave me back saying OK. At fourth time another steward asked my boarding card and said this is an error and I have to go to row 23 but she did not give me a new boarding card. She said that the plane was reorganized and row 2 was in fact Business Class, and I had an economy class ticket. After I was re-seated, nobody was at row 2!
RouteTXL to MLA
Date FlownNovember 2016

"lost a day of our holiday"

Verified Review | Flew Air Malta from Gatwick to Malta for the 1st time on 28 October. Flew with them as they included 20kg baggage and they had a mid morning flight as I hate to arrive any where after dark. Flight was due to leave at 1155. Display boards said gate information at 1105. Checked at 1105 and it now said information at 1715. Went to airline desk who were not that helpful only saying food vouchers would be provided. Finally took off at 1845 or thereabouts. Captain apologised said the Incomming flight had tech problems and that they had to change aircraft. The aircraft was clean, cabin crew friendly, one guy went out his way to help the couple in front of us with a child in distress. Inflight meal was a snack but fine when the flight is only 3 hours. Arrived at our hotel about 1230 am woke up late so effectively lost a day of our holiday. I guess these things can happen I had a similar experience with Thai Airways years ago, that caused us to miss connecting flights and taxis. Flight home no problems same clean aircraft good cabin crew. I would use them again and would not tell any one considering to fly with them not too. However I was disappointed in the lack of information at Gatwick and the indifference of the staff at the airline desk. I guess a lot of passengers will b claiming delay compensation under the EU 216/2014 rule myself included. Wonder how airlines make a profit on a flight when it goes like this one.
RouteLGW to MLA
Date FlownOctober 2016

"seats exceptionally small and claustrophobic"

Flew Air Malta, 7/10, Gatwick to Malta. What a disgrace. Plane late on arrival and they did nothing to speed up the turnaround. Seats (row 5) exceptionally small and clasutrophobic. Onboard staff in a bad mood and not good at serving. Sat behind the Premium seats which meant we had a twee red curtain drawn for the flight in case we offended these important beings. (There was only one man in this class on this flight). The stewards were so slow serving the snack - tiny roll and a bottle of water - so that when people needed the loo (we have to use the one at the back) we couldn't get to it. We therefore used the first class one and got told off by the stewardess. I quoted health and safety and suggested she looked at the rules and regulations. The only good thing about it was it was a short flight speeded up by an even shorter route. Never again.
RouteLGW to MLA
Date FlownOctober 2016

"7 hour delay, no communication"

This was the first time we have flown with Air Malta. I have to say this may be the last time too. Had a fantastic holiday until we got to the airport to come home and had a 7 hour delay, no communication on why or what was happening. When the information desk was asked they didn't know either. When they finally had some information all they said was 'it's a tech issue'. I know these things happen but it's the lack of communication all round that's most upsetting. Yes we had food and beverage vouchers. The plane was due to leave at 15.00 but we were late again leaving. The plane had seen better days that's for sure. The onboard snack had a lot to be desired, a roll and a bottle of water. A really disappointing day completely wasted sitting in an airport with no communication.
RouteMLA to LGW