Air Madagascar

Review by (Thailand) 20th May 2015

I flew BKK-TNR-BKK in business class in May 2015. Overall the 8 hr flight is good and on-time (a bit earlier than scheduled). On TNR-BKK the flight stopped in Bangkok before going to Guangzhou. A340 was used on this route. Staff are very nice the facilities on board like toilet entertainment and food and beverages could be compared to business class on other airlines. Inflight entertainment - no flying map no music no movie.

Review by (Germany) 18th December 2014

I flew Economy Paris-Tana Tana-Antsiranana Antsiranana-Tana Tana-Paris in Sept and Oct 2014. Local flights were on 737 nothing special (neither bad nor good) the intercontinental flight was on an old 340. The fittings were old but ok seating and food ok as well in-flight entertainment a little inferior to Air France (smaller screen not as many choices) but then again AF also does not use their newest equipment on this route so that the difference is not this big. Two of the four flights were delayed by several hours one of which was my return flight on Oct 6 to Paris which was delayed by 3.5 hours. This may become a real problem for anybody requiring a connecting flight as AirMad has no code-share partners in Europe with whom one could book a combined ticket. Hence it cost me about 350 Euro to change the reservation for my AF connecting flight (fortunately it could be changed) and Air Madagascar is not willing to reimburse me referring to the conditions of sale (even though AirMad told me differently in Tana when it became clear that the delay would cause me to miss my connecting flight in Paris). Hence people not living near Paris or Marseille should take this risk into account (after all my so far longest delay on an AirMad flight was 13 hours in 2010 hence one should plan on long transfer times to be on the sure side). I would not recommend it.

Review by (United Kingdom) 26th August 2014

Flew from Toliara to Tana. What to say about Air Madagascar - the airline usually runs on Malagasy time and this was no exception. Flight was due to leave at 18.25. By 19.00 no plane had turned up and there was absolutely nobody in the terminal with any kind of information. There are screens in the terminal but as there is only 1 flight per day they are of little use. Fortunately TLE has a fairly modern terminal (for Madagascar) and a number of places to buy drinks. 8pm came and went then 9pm still no plane and it's getting dark. Eventually at about half past 9 three guys arrived in a jeep proceeded to drive down the runway setting up a series of cones with lights on top. The first we knew anything was happening was when a plane appeared on the runway taxied up to the terminal and unloaded some passengers. We were then allowed out onto the tarmac and up the steps to the plane. Plane was a fairly modern 737 seats were reasonably comfortable staff were very friendly and as the plane was only half full the flight was one of the most pleasant I have had on AirMad. Flying with AirMad is always an experience.

Review by (South Africa) 26th August 2014

We have just returned from Johannesburg via Antananarivo to Nosy Be on air Madagascar. All of our flights were on time. We found the airline to be extremely reliable the planes in good condition the staff extremely efficient and friendly. We shall certainly recommend Air Madagascar to all of our friends travelling to Madagascar.

Review by 15th January 2009

CDG-TNR-CDG B767 TNR-NOS B737 NOS-TNR-TMM ATR 72 TMM-TNR Twin Otter. The seating on the B767 is uncomfortable. Entertainment poor and toilets not very clean. Positive points the FAs and food. A big positive point to the schedule - by leaving CDG at the end of the day you don't waste the next one not withstanding the 10hours flight. Domestic flights were nice and acceptable. However on the leg NOS-TNR I experienced a 5 hours delay (quite usual).

Review by 27th October 2008

We used Air Madagascar for four internal flights. All four were reasonably on time (max delay about 45 mins). Cabin staff friendly and good complimentary snack and newspaper on each flight. Be prepared for very rapid braking at fort Dauphin (short runway)

Review by 7th February 2007

Flew Air Madagascar frequently on a month-long trip from Canada over Christmas. International routing CDG-TNR-CDG. Also flew TNR-Morondava and back TNR-Diego Diego-NosyBe NosyBe-TNR TNR-SainteMarie and back. Across these flights I experienced their B767 on the international route the B737 on the flight to Diego and ATR72s on the other domestic routes. Overall I enjoyed the airline. The 767 does have a tired interior and I would certainly prefer to have preassigned seating. Flight attendants were friendly on all flights but English was not good so I'm not sure how I would have managed if my wife wasn't with me to translate from French and Malagasy into English. All of our flights left on time but I couldn't understand why we were asked to arrive so early for these small flights. My biggest complaint is with the airports in Madagascar not the airline. Seating is very limited and if you can find it it is most uncomfortable. Found the airport in Morondava to be surprisingly the best of the above locations and the airport in Diego is just plain awful. I did find it difficult to deal with Air Madagascar when booking my tickets from Canada. You can't deal directly with the airline but rather their North American agent Sita World Travel and I found they're agents friendly but not all that smart and very slow to answer e-mails. Simple questions like finding out flight availability and pricing seemed to be a big task. I would prefer an online reservation similar to that offered by other major airlines.

Review by 27th September 2006

CDG-TNR-FDP-TNR-CDG The outbound flight was fine but CDG was awful. The queues at check in were a bit long but after an hour we were checked in. The food was nice tea and coffee were served often along with a choice of soft drinks. The seats were quite cramped but there was just enough legroom. The choice of films were not up to much but the music channels were fine with some good Malagasy music in there as well. The aircraft was a 767-300. Flying from Tana (Antananarivo) to Fort Dauphin was an experience. We had to wait for 3 hours at the airport being served coffee with horrible sweetened condensed milk and being handed week old newspapers with payment demanded. We checked in all right though. The plane was an old second generation 737 with no allocated seating. The announcements were in Malagasy and French and some sort of inconprehensible English which just sounded like the air hostess reading some English off a card. Almost no inflight service just a drink of orange juice. Fort Dauphin Airport is interesting no luggage belts so your bag number is shouted out and you have to hand them your ticket to reclaim. The return trip was much the same as the first. At TNR we were delayed for 2 hours for some technical fault which seemed to make no sense whatsoever. It was claimed that Engine number 3 had some sort of problem but there are 2 engines on a 767. As neither of the engines were started when we got on the plane the airconditioners weren't working. There are no vents above your head on this 767 either. Some people fainted as we waited for 2 hours on this sweltering plane before we departed. We missed our connection at CDG too. In the end the flight was ok good for third world but bad for everything else.

Review by 23rd May 2006

MXP-NOS (Malpensa-Nosi Be) return in Economy. The Y fare is good Business is expensive with no airmiles in any alliance so opted for Y class. Outbound leg on time (767) flight completely full seat backs a little thin but reasonably comfortable (exit or bulkhead rows 11 18 19 and 20 are best for legroom). FA's smiling speak good French. Food and wine OK soft drink selection limited and they ran out of beer quickly. Movies surprisingly up to date (In Her Shoes etc) but dubbed in French or Italian both of which I speak but would have still preferred the original version. No PTV but ceiling screens every 8-10 rows. Landed in NOS on time huge queues for visa-on-arrival in a tiny stifling airport. Take my advice and obtain a visa beforehand you will breeze through immigration. Return leg delayed by 5 hours although I had confirmed the day before and had supplied a contact phone No I arrived at an empty NOS airport at 7am for a 9am flight to be greeted by a cleaning lady and told that the flight would leave after 12 noon. My friend and I spent 3 hours in a small quaint cafe across the street from the terminal eating spaghetti and drinking Malagasy beer overall an interesting way to spend time! At 10am some airport personnel started to arrive apparently the plane had had engine trouble in Antananarivo hence the delay. Check-in began at 11.00 we managed to check-in among the first but long Italian queue in a tiny airport which cannot really handle such passenger numbers. The 767 left at 2pm many empty seats on this leg so we could spread out a bit OK inflight catering 2 full meals better drinks selection. Memorable daytime flight over Africa with fantastic views of Kilimanjaro and the Rift Valley.

Review by 11th April 2006

BKK-TNR. This relatively new service is performed by leased B767. The layout is overwhelmingly economy (in a 2-3-2 configuration) with very modest seat pitch but the flight we got was only about 60% full. Exit row seats 18ABFG and 19 ABFG give a good deal of extra legroom with row 18 preferred due to row 19’s proximity to the lavatories (which seemed to get a lot of use in our flight!). However none of these exit row seats recline. 20 C and E may have a bit more stretch room also. Service is good but meals and entertainment are somewhat from a previous era with one meal of a sandwich and some strange tasting orange juice and with one screen for every 8 rows or so. On approach to landing an interesting looking video of Madagascar was shown but unfortunately only with a French soundtrack and quite poor audio at that.