Air Europa

"never fly Air Europa again"

Trip Verified | Havana to London via Madrid. We queued for three hours in the most awful, disorganised queue at Havana airport to check in (we checked in at the time we were supposed to take off) and unfortunately the experience didn’t improve once we boarded the plane. Shortly after take off we heard very strange noises followed by two massive drops where the plane literally felt like it was falling. Passengers were screaming and there was not one message from the pilot or cabin crew to reassure us. We could see some lightning outside and only assume that the sounds we could hear were hail hitting the plane. As for the drops I have never experienced anything like it and was terrified. I feel it was awful that there was no announcement from crew to reassure passengers who were clearly very distressed. Other than this there wasn’t enough food served and it was disgusting. If you press the call button no one comes to see if you are okay. I had to go and find cabin crew in the kitchen to ask for water. Will never fly Air Europa again!
RouteHavana to London via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2017

"service was pleasant enough"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Flew Air Europa from Salvador to Madrid via Sao Paulo. So the flight was cheap and I had read all the negative reviews so was prepared for the worst. The first encounter I had was trying to make payment through the call centre due to difficulties with the web page. When I finished the call I said to the operator that if the flight went as smoothly as our call did I will be very happy. It was extremely quick and easy and he even managed to make a saving on my booking! So the flight was nothing special but wasn't horrible. Maybe we had low expectations. We had loaded our computer up with films for our daughter, downloaded a new book to the kindle and packed food for the trip. As to be expected the inflight entertainment was non existent but the food was not that horrible and the service on the flight was pleasant enough. The plane not overly comfortable but at 6 foot 7 not to many planes really are. We had a spare seat next us (didn't know these still existed) on one of the legs so we had some spare room. If I had the choice again for the money we saved we would happily take it.
RouteSalvador to Madrid via Sao Paulo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"rude stewardesses who can not speak English"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Flew Air Europa from Cancun to Madrid. It has been like traveling by plane in the 60s. Without TVs, with a service of rude stewardesses who can not speak English. I don’t say my English is good, but I suppose if you work on a plane giving information you need to speak good English. The food was horrible, very low quality and no vegetarian option. Do not even think about traveling with this company on transatlantic trips. It has been the worst trip. They did not even have a plug to charge my phone.
RouteCancun to Madrid
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"they are taking zero responsibility"

Trip Verified | Flight UX0091 was direct and supposed to land in JFK but instead the flight landed in BOS. We then sat on the runway for 4 hours until we pulled into a gate. When we were unboarded from the plane (at 11pm), no directions were given on what was happening or how we would get to JFK. First they said maybe a bus, then hotels for the night, but none were given to us. We were given "stranded passengers status" by the airport. We had to purchase an expensive hotel room $188 as well as transportation to the hotel $23. The next day we had to purchase 2 train tickets $460 to get home. We were never taken to our final destination by Air Europa and we had to pay $671 extra to get home. I called and they said to file a complaint online and wait 7 days for a response. After 8 days with no response I called back and they said I have to wait 45 days for a response. I'm confused how they stranded me in a different state than my destination, I had to pay $671 to get home, and they are taking zero responsibility. Never flying Air Europa again and I advise you not to either.
RouteMadrid to New York JFK
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"never travel this airline again"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience. I will never travel this airline again. I bought a one way ticket from Gatwick to Madrid. One day before my flight I tried checking in online and for some reason I had a same error. I tried calling customer service and they told me everything is ok with reservation. After several failed attempts I decided to check in at the airport and there they told me I don't have a seat because the flight was overbooked. I had a hand luggage with me and at check-in they told me I also need to put that as a hold luggage. Luckily there was a seat at the gate and I went to Madrid at the end. When I arrived there my luggage was missing and they informed me that it probably stayed at the airport in London because I got the seat at the last moment. There at the airport I filed for a missing luggage and they informed me I as soon as they find it they will call me on my phone number. After calling for days, on the 3. days I called again to check the status and they told me it arrived at the airport and that they will send it the same day to my hostel. It didn't arrive of course and the struggle continued till today, after 6 days when I called again to confirm I will pick it up tomorrow (the day of my return flight) by myself at the airport.
RouteGatwick to Madrid
Date FlownDecember 2017

"I will never take it again"

(Luxembourg)

Trip Verified | Air Europa is cheap yes but I will never take it again it is not worth it. 1) Delay, 3 hours delay for Frankfurt to Madrid and arriving in Madrid they told me that I needed to run to be able to take my plane for Miami (the airport of Madrid is horrible). 2) After running to the gate to get my plane, the stewards were not speaking English or it was very bad English for a plane going to Miami. Then they shouted at me to show my paper in Spanish! 3) When I entered the plane after the run I asked for some water and it took one hour to get a little glass of water. I know is a low cost airlines but airlines such as Norwegian provide better comfort (more space), IT (movies etc) and qualified employees that speak English.
RouteFrankfurt to Miami
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Great service for the money"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Madrid. I am a regular customer of this route. Iit is not about the newspapers and magazines they offer in a 50 minutes flight but the way they serve the passengers. And the service they do in a short flight, in Business, and they will keep the seats near you empty for your comfort. They serve organic food, salads, good Spanish wine etc. Great service for the money that we pay.
RouteLisbon to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"hopeless trying to check in online"

Not Verified | Gatwick to Madrid, and the cabin crew were so rude! In my job, making sarcastic comments to customers is not appropriate, and we don't deal with people who have been waiting around for hours. In terms of the booking experience, the website is quite difficult to navigate, and crashes a lot. The first time I tried to book, it kept crashing at the payment page, so I called customer service. They told me that AMEX is not accepted (when the website says it is), so I booked my flight over the phone, with a different card. However, I received no email confirmation, just reminders from the website to complete my booking or it will be cancelled. So, I called customer service again, and they sent me an email. There is no way of just viewing your booking online to check details: you have to go to add luggage, or pre-book seats, or some other edit. The third time I called customer service was to send me a credit card receipt, or at least the booking details with price on them, as this was missing from the first one. It was hopeless trying to check in online, there is no way of skipping the paid-for seat reservation, and I wasn't fussed, so I couldn't check in online. Checking in at the airport, there were only two desks, and although only a short queue of people, 4/5 at most, each check in took ages. Compare this to other airlines with a smooth online check in and quick bag drop, and it really is behind the times. It took me less time to go through security! And finally, boarding with rude staff, who kept walking up and down the aisle pushing past people who were trying to put luggage overhead as quickly as possible. I was in a window seat, and the two people nearer the aisle were kindly waiting for me to put my bag overhead before stepping out. My little handbag was next to the seat for maybe 5 seconds while I put my bag away (and no-one walking past this far up) but the steward picked it up, shouted 'whose is this', and shoved it at me while I was closing the locker, followed by 'no wonder', as he had already told me I was in the way further down the aisle. Totally needless - he was such a jobsworth. Overall, not an experience I want to repeat, and I won't be flying with them again. It's just not worth the hassle.
RouteGatwick to Madrid
Date FlownNovember 2017

"wonderful and smooth flight"

Verified Review | Miami to Madrid. It it was a wonderful and smooth flight my only complaint could be customer service. At the airport the agents were very pleasant and helpful. They had nice IFE but they didn't have much to watch on them. Do not buy the wifi. They say its 30mb but 30mb of what? Its the amount of data, that will just disappear within a short time. But otherwise I like Air Europa and would fly them again.
RouteMiami to Madrid
Date FlownOctober 2017

"very unfriendly cabin crew"

Verified Review | Madrid to Tenerife. First, when we checked in online, there web site was not at all clear as to the charge for non carry on luggage. Due to this the price dubbled at checkin from 30€ to 60€ per bag each way! They were not helpful at all at checkin. Our baggage charge was almost the same passage fair. Once on board, there was absolutely nothing offered complementary, not even water. This was a flight over 2.5 hours. Cramped seats and very unfriendly cabin crew. The only thing I found interesting, was there inflight mag goes on and on how they were a high customer service company. Absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with!!
RouteMadrid to Tenerife