Top 100 Airports

Air Europa

"avoid this airline at all cost"

(Monaco)

New York to Ibiza via Madrid. Air Europa is the worst airline I've ever experienced. Starting with a 2,5h delay out of New York, finally departing 30m past midnight we were still barely on time to make our connecting flight - but they just rebooked us to a later flight in Madrid giving us a 6 hour layover even though we made it to the gate of our original flight from Madrid to Ibiza. Could we board it? No, it was full. They had sold our seats and rebooked us to a late flight without asking. And yes, the late flight from Madrid to Ibiza was also delayed. Everything from customer service to the quality of the business cabin is extremely poor. I will avoid this airline at all cost.
RouteJFK to IBZ via MAD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"overall had a very pleasant flight"

I✅ Verified Review | Just flew with Air Europa to Bogota from London via Madrid and overall had a very pleasant flight. Our flight was indeed delayed (like all the reviews seem to suggest) by about an hour, and with a connection time of one hour 25 minutes I was convinced we were going to miss our connecting flight. However the flight attendants reassured us that there were many people taking the same connection as us and that the second flight would wait for us, and also that our baggage would be automatically transferred so all we had to do was walk to the next gate. The connecting flight was also delayed (fortunately) so we were in no danger at all of missing it. We ended up arriving to Bogota only about 30 minutes later than scheduled and the baggage came through quickly without any problems. The flights themselves were perfectly pleasant. The London to Madrid aircraft was a bit shabbier - for example my entertainment screen didn't work, but then I hadn't been expecting one anyway so that was fine. But there was nothing major wrong with anything. The second leg to Bogota was one of the best flights I've been on. Admittedly this was the first transatlantic flight I'd been on, and I had very low expectations from the reviews, but I was very, very pleased. The interior seemed very new and the entertainment screens were far slicker than the ones on the first flight, and with a good selection of movies and tv etc. We were given blankets and pillows (again, not much for standard airlines but for such a budget one I hadn't expected anything for free at all). We also got free soft drinks throughout (I got one free glass of wine and I overheard people being told on later rounds that it was now one euro per glass after the free one), one main meal and then another sandwich later on. Again, much more for free than I had expected. My only complaint about the whole flight was the vegetarian meal - just one slab of plain tofu on some tomato sauce with roasted veg. The veg was delicious but the tofu was so bland, and there was no carbohydrate replacement (both vegetarian and meat meals got a bread roll, but the meat meal also had a carb component in the main meal). I also got fruit instead of a cake for dessert (I realise this is because the vegetarian meal was also suitable for vegans) which was a nice refreshing change on a flight, but it left me hungry because I had also missed out on carbs with the main. The vegetarian sandwich later on was filled with Spanish potato tortilla which was really tasty. I had come on this flight with the lowest of low expectations, but even if I hadn't read these reviews beforehand I think I would still have been very happy with the service I received. Obviously I got lucky by not missing my connection or having my luggage lost like so many others, but I want to provide a balanced view to those experiences so that people who have just bought a flight with Air Europa don't panic as much as I did.
RouteLGW to BOG via MAD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"what an unmitigated disaster"

Verified Review | I now see I should have read the reviews on this site before spending money on our holiday trip to Havana : what an unmitigated disaster this airline is! Amsterdam to Madrid left an hour and a half late, nearly cancelling out our transfer time for the onward leg to Havana. At MAD we were told to go to Customer Service to get our flight rebooked and vouchers for a hotel. Unfindable office, no-one speaks a word of English, hordes of angry customers arguing at length with two overworked reps. Return: Same story but 4 times worse: arriving at airport three hours before departure, we are told that the flight is delayed. It ends up being more than six hours late. The complimentary meals had run out (275 stranded passengers missing dinner) seats were ridiculously uncomfortable so no sleep. Replacement aircraft was a A330-200 instead of the regular A330-300, so broken seats, no legroom, disgusting food. Entartainment system was 'down" but they have WiFi.(at a laughable cost, yes). Maybe indicative that the captain announced that he was proud of his passengers for not misbehaving.
RouteAMS to HAV via MAD
Date FlownJune 2016

"service from crewmembers anticipatory and courteous"

Miami to Barcelona via Madrid with Air Europa. Business class on the new 787. Continued on to BCN. Nothing but wonderful things to say about the inflight services, however, nothing but bad to say about airport and reservations services. At all but one ground staff encounter in all 3 cities, employees are unfriendly to the point of being rude and seem either untrained or just incompetent. BCN Business Class check-in agent did not even greet me as I approached, instead waited for me to speak. He then opened my reservation and just stared at the screen until I prompted him as to what he was doing (“Just looking,” he said.) Sky Priority is not respected at any point in any airport. Reservations agents are hit-and-miss - some try to help, others referred us to Delta because “Delta sold the tickets.” Inflight, however, is a completely different experience. Cabin crews are exceptional, with a sophisticated, professional, warm style of service. There was always a flight attendant either in the cabin or walking through, and all were, without exception, friendly and willing to oblige as best as they could. Outbound, the gentleman serving our aisle ensured little things, like nearly empty glasses, were filled as soon as he spotted them. On the return MAD-MIA flight the flight attendant working our aisle was probably the hardest working F/A I have ever seen. Nothing was an inconvenience to her, everything was served with a smile and true graciousness. She even offered to bag our shoes and put them in the overhead so we could have even more foot room. Service from all crewmembers was anticipatory and courteous versus ground staff who apparently see passengers as an inconvenience.
RouteMIA to BCN via MAD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"riot created at the gate"

Verified Review | I flew Air Europa from Valencia to Sao Paulo via Madrid. Upon arrival in Madrid at around 9.30 pm, flight to Sao Paulo was scheduled for 11.15 pm. We are notified that the aircraft would be late, no reason given. There was a bit of a riot being created at the gate with an exchange of nasty words between passengers and Air Europa employees. Finally, due to pressure from passengers, close to 1 am, they tell us departure will be 7.00 am. The airline refuses to provide hotel accommodation, instead they send the 300+ passengers to a shared airline lounge. When the 300+ passengers arrive at the lounge, there was only one employee to greet us and she needed to check everyone in one by one. Each passenger seemed to take 5 or more minutes until boarding passes and passport numbers were recorded manually. People were left waiting in line for about an hour or more. I was one of the first to get in, but there was already nowhere to sit, people were lying on the floor. The lounge offered some drinks and food which quickly vanishes and never gets replenished. Coffee machines are out of order. We spend the night there. We board at around 7, we don't take off until 9. We are given the reason for the delay from the captain: "the plane was late coming from America last night". After 10+ hour delay, we take off. Plane was old, lavatories were not in a good condition. Food was poor. The way back: flight from Sao Paulo leaves slightly late. We arrive in MAD ahead of schedule, however, at 5.00 am. Long story short: my 7.05 flight to Valencia is cancelled and I was put on the 14.30 flight, which is, what a surprise, delayed - we don't take off until 17.00. They did offer me a hotel for the layover, which was nice. But the rebooking process was as follows: had to exit the airport and go to the customer service desk at check-in level. There was no sign that says "Air Europa customer service". Nobody knows where it is, employees gave me the wrong directions. Customer service gives me a voucher for the hotel, but are incapable of printing a new boarding pass. I have to stay in line at check-in to get one. I make it back from the hotel at 13.00. Monitor says "delayed". Finally, a feisty employee was insisting that I check my small bag, because "it won't fit under the seat or overhead compartment because the plane is small". I asked if it's an ATR 42. She says "yes." I say, I've flown that plane before and my backpack will fit. I keep my backpack, it fits with no problem.
RouteVLC to SAO via MAD
Date FlownJuly 2016

"have only good things to say"

Verified Review | Miami to Barcelona via Madrid. I have only good things to say about Our Air Europa flight from Miami to Barcelona and our return Flight on 12th June. Our flight was smooth and comfortable, our flight attendants were awesome I especially want to thank an attendant on the return flight from Madrid to Miami, she was so kind and friendly! I would recommend this airline and fly again on Air Europa the food was great and the wine was quite good!
RouteMIA to BCN via MAD
Date FlownJune 2016

"seats barely reclined for a 9 hour flight"

London Gatwick to Havana via Madrid with Air Europa. This was the worst flying experience I've ever had. The journey to Havana was delayed by 1 hour from London but at least we were able to get the connecting flight to Havana, which was then also delayed by an hour - no explanations provided. The food provided was poor, the inflight entertainment was all in Spanish, the plane was old and the seats didn't recline properly. The flight back was dreadful. It was delayed by 3 hours - no explanation provided. The plane was old - the seats broken, the space between seats so small that knees touched the seat in front, and the seats barely reclined for a 9 hour overnight flight so sleep was pretty impossible, and there was no inflight entertainment at all. No food or drinks were provided until we were 6 hours into the flight - and then it was horrible dried up sandwiches. Many people on the plane had connecting flights out of Madrid and we were assured that planes would be held and the connections made. With about another 25 people we arrived at the gate to board our connecting flight to Gatwick to discover that we would not be allowed on the plane - even though it had not yet left. We were told that we would be put in a hotel and could travel to Gatwick the next day. Most of the people on the flight from Cuba had the same experience and we're not able to get their connecting flights. We joined a queue at the Air Europa desk. It took us 2 hours to reach the desk to get information about accommodation - by this time the queue was about 200 metres long behind us and we had been joined by people who had been not allowed on to connecting flights to a range of destinations. In the end 8 people travelling to Gatwick stayed in the hotel and took the flight the next day. The others had to get the the UK the same day so arranged their own flights back at their own expense - no help from Air Europa. The flight to Gatwick the next day was fine, but then it was late landing, and the crew did not communicate with the ground staff about the baggage, so we waited 45 minutes for our bags and then I missed connecting trains. It took me 2 days to travel home from Cuba using Air Europa - never again.
RouteLGW to HAV via MAD

"first and last time"

I had booked 6 tickets with this airline as a family celebration to Madrid. We had never used this airline before and it will be the first and last time. We were delayed 90+ minutes leaving Gatwick, there was no explanation or apology. The air crew were sullen to the point of being rude. On the way home there was a particularly "charming" member of staff who when my son told her his seat was broken she just shrugged and walked away - didn't offer to move him, although there were empty seats. At the end of the flight two other staff members were so busy talking among themselves they did not say goodbye to passengers. If you have a choice do not use this airline.
RouteLondon Gatwick to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2016

"my first and last time"

Madrid to New York JFK with Air Europa - I selected Air Europa as they have a partnership with Delta and I have been a Delta flyer for many years. I flew to Madrid on Delta and came back on Air Europa as they have a 5.40pm departure which was very convenient to not lose a day of work in Madrid. This was my first and last time. The flight was delayed by 3 hours with no communication. The seats on board are the old style business class seats that are not flat. Onboard service was poor compared to other airlines even though the business cabin was not full. The food was awful - very dry and horrible selection. The WiFi was terrible - it didn't work and was 22 euros for 50MB which didn't last at all (I didn't download files or stream). On my Delta flight from JFK to Madrid, I had great service, food, comfort and unlimited WiFi service which worked very well for only $16 USD for 24 hours which can be used across multiple flights.
RouteMAD to JFK
Date FlownJune 2016

"disappointed with the cabin crew"

Frankfurt to Lima via Madrid with Air Europa. Flight from Frankfurt was delayed for 1.5 hours, so the connection in Madrid was very short. For all flights a bus transer was necessary - the direct gangway seems to be to expensive for this airline. I was very disappointed with the cabin crew - especially with small children they were very unfriendly and not cooperative (I myself haven't got kids, but close to me there were a few). The catering reflects the price level of the airline and the same for space and entertainment. They offer only a few movies, but all in 7 languages, and the selection was not too bad.
AircraftA330-200