Air Europa

"quality low-cost, price premium"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Milan to Santa Cruz via Madrid. The quality of a low-cost at the price of a premium flight (EUR 2000). In summary: - the first flight (of four) was delayed by 2 hours. Reportedly, it is everyday so, there were people that already knew that. But other passangers lost the connection in Madrid (we didn't) - very limited legroom, and we had to pay extra EUR 20 each for choosing the seats! Otherwise the system would have split the two of us and randomly placed us next to the toilet - no entertainment screen for a flight of 12 hours (one way). On the return flight there was, but the choice was frankly appalling and you had to pay extra EUR 3 for headsets - food is terrible. Not possible to select menu in advance, so you're left with two choices, but halfway they finished already one dish, so there was no choice at all. A serious problem if you are coeliac or vegetarian etc - food is insuficient. In 12 hours daylight flight we received only a small lunch 30 min after departure (consisting of a small portion of pasta and a dessert) and a mini-breakfast (a mini-sandwich) 30 minutes before landing. So for more than 10 hour they let you starve - they didn't even serve water for 10 hours. Actually you do not see a single flight assistant for 10 hours. Flight assistants (in the rare moment they can be perceived) never smile and treat all passengers quite rudely.
RouteMilan to Santa Cruz via Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2018

"improve a lot of things"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Madrid. I could have flown with KLM for the same money but I decided to fly Air Europa for the first time because a Boeing 787 would be operating the flight. Always nice to fly a wide body aircraft on a short European route! I checked in 40 hours before departure with their IOS app. The app is very basic because there was no way to select a seat. I was asked if I wanted to pay more for a seat with more legroom and after selecting no, I was randomly allocated to a middle seat without the option to choose an isle or window seat. After the boarding pass was loaded in my wallet I was shocked because my name was misspelled. My surname was shown twice, while my name was correctly spelled on the reservation. To avoid being denied boarding I called their service center on Saturday. After waiting for 50 minutes on the line, I explained the problem to an agent and first he tried to let me pay 18 Euros for changing my name. I didn't agree because my name was correctly spelled on the reservation so something must have gone wrong from their side. After a lot of noise from his keyboard he told me it was OK and my name would be correct on the boarding pass. Not a great first impression! The flight itself was on time. At the airport I was able to change my seat to a window seat and add my Flying Blue number because it was mysteriously gone from the booking as well although I entered my frequent flyer number during the booking process. The aircraft (EC-MLT) didn't look in a good shape for a 2 year young aircraft. Filthy carpets, filthy seats and a grey/brown sludge coming from the air vents on the side and overhead panels. The entertainment system however is good and legroom is sufficient. On board everything is for sale just like a low-cost carrier. Not that I expect a meal or a sandwich on a 2 hour flight but a water or coffee would be appreciated. They advertise as a full service SkyTeam airline, but they are just another low-cost carrier. The flight landed on time at Madrid an after a long taxi ride we arrived at terminal 1. The jet-bridge was connected and shortly afterwards the jet-bridge retracted again, because this was an intra EU-flight and terminal 1 is only for non EU-flights. Airstairs arrived and we were bussed to the Schengen arrival area of terminal 2. I had my trolley checked in and waited at belt for the luggage to arrive. Only the priority luggage arrived and after 30 minutes the system said that all luggage was being loaded at the belt, while there were at least 100 passengers waiting for their luggage to arrive. Air Europa staff said 10 minutes, 10 minutes but nothing happened. It seemed they didn't care and there was confusion because suddenly luggage from another flight popped up on the belt and the Amsterdam flight disappeared from the screens. Finally 90 minutes after landing the luggage arrived. I think the luggage was transported to terminal 1 (where the aircraft arrived) instead of terminal 2. 90 minutes waiting for your luggage to arrive is insane. While the flight itself was fairly OK Air Europa needs to improve a lot of things to make it comfortable for passengers to fly with them.
RouteAmsterdam to Madrid
Date FlownAugust 2018

"such cramped seats"

Trip Verified | Asuncion to Madrid. I was expecting a rough ride from reading reviews. Although some aspects were confirmed as being bad (ground service was chaotic on the way out, the seats were extremely cramped) others were either tolerable (food) or even good (cabin staff service). I think that the cabin crew are making an effort to improve. On the way out the air-conditioning fell out after boarding and the passengers became restless and then angry, it was the cabin crew that had to take the brunt of their anger. They tried to patch things up by serving iced water. They showed professionalism. I have never encountered such cramped seats before. I don't think it is advisable for tall people to fly with this airline. Although I am not particularly tall, I kept bumping my knees against the seat in front of me and had to deal with the man's anger.
AircraftA330-200
RouteAsuncion to Madrid
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Great staff and great service"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Barcelona to Tel Aviv. Flight was 4:00 hours, check in at El Prat Airport was fast and quick, ground staff was friendly and even when I had overweight on my checked luggage they did like they didnt see and gave me pass without paying. Because the flight departed at 00.35 there wasn't a duty free or a meal service. The landing was good and the staff on board was friendly. Great staff and great service.
AircraftB737-800 (old livery)
RouteBarcelona to Tel Aviv
Date FlownJune 2018

"cabin crew nice and friendly"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Tel Aviv to Barcelona. The flight length was 4:30 hours, the check in was very slow and not comfortable, only 2 check in desks for 160 passengers. The cabin crew was nice and friendly, but another minus is that there is no free meal service but the landing was very soft and the food was quite tasty, seating system is unknown, do the first ones to register seat in the end? Finally, the flight was not more than nice.
RouteTel Aviv to Barcelona

"would recommend them"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Madrid. Much better than Iberia or British Airways. Cheaper flights, more legroom, more comfortable seats, better food and crew. They don't suffer from corporate arrogance and poor customer service of Iberia so would recommend them for flights within and to Spain.
RouteGatwick to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"charge for seats and luggage"

Trip Verified | Miami to Milan via Madrid. They charge for seats (each flight) and luggage. The information on the e-ticket about the luggage charge is very small and easy to be overlooked. When paid at the airport check-in you pay 50% more than online. On my way back I made sure to pay online (and never more use Air Europa) but the service doesn't work. To pay for the seat it took me more than an more, a single operation that was showing wrong for systems reasons. The luggage purchase results impossible, which means that instead of paying $100, I will have to pay $150. Their system is bad, service is bad, the food is awful. What seemed to be a good price ticket ended up being more expensive and much less enjoyable than other flights.
RouteMiami to Milan via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"charge for each piece of luggage"

Trip Verified | Miami to Madrid. They will charge you for each piece of luggage without blinking an eye. For one suitcase they charged me $300 hundred dollars round trip. 99.9 percent of airlines will never charge you for one suitcase, let alone $300.00 to travel overseas. I don't how Spain is such a beautiful country but such a bad business!
RouteMiami to Madrid

"no functioning service"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Lima via Madrid. Fly Air Europa and you may be lost in the sky. No responsibility for connection problems! No functioning service or service staff on site. Simply lost in the sky.
RouteZurich to Lima via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"poor customer service"

Not Verified | Flew to Mallorca for the Mallorca 70.3 Ironman race the week before last. I purchased what I thought to be all Delta flights however Air Europa were the operators for all of the legs of my flight. I brought my racing bike in its travel case complete with all gear - helmet, cycling shoes, and race day necessities (not to mention a very pricey TT bike). Upon arrival to Mallorca Air Europa informed me that my bike was "lost" so I filed a claim. It took 15+ phone calls initiated by me, posts on Twitter to actually put some pressure on the airline and 5 days to locate my bike. Upon "localization," they tweeted at me and said the bike would arrive in Palma at 3:10PM that day. I called and confirmed the flight and nearly five hours after the flight landed and no bike, I called Air Europa who informed me that the bike was being held in Madrid and being sent back to JFK since I was leaving Mallorca on May 16. However, I was leaving Mallorca on May 19 on their same airline (information that was right in front of their faces). I have never experienced sure bad communication, poor customer service and a generally bad business acumen in my entire life - and I've traveled to four continents on numerous airlines without issue. I suggest to never fly Air Europa if you value your possessions and your time.
RouteNew York to Palma via Madrid