Air Europa

"would recommend them"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Gatwick to Madrid. Much better than Iberia or British Airways. Cheaper flights, more legroom, more comfortable seats, better food and crew. They don't suffer from corporate arrogance and poor customer service of Iberia so would recommend them for flights within and to Spain.
RouteGatwick to Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"charge for seats and luggage"

Trip Verified | Miami to Milan via Madrid. They charge for seats (each flight) and luggage. The information on the e-ticket about the luggage charge is very small and easy to be overlooked. When paid at the airport check-in you pay 50% more than online. On my way back I made sure to pay online (and never more use Air Europa) but the service doesn't work. To pay for the seat it took me more than an more, a single operation that was showing wrong for systems reasons. The luggage purchase results impossible, which means that instead of paying $100, I will have to pay $150. Their system is bad, service is bad, the food is awful. What seemed to be a good price ticket ended up being more expensive and much less enjoyable than other flights.
RouteMiami to Milan via Madrid
Date FlownJune 2018

"charge for each piece of luggage"

Trip Verified | Miami to Madrid. They will charge you for each piece of luggage without blinking an eye. For one suitcase they charged me $300 hundred dollars round trip. 99.9 percent of airlines will never charge you for one suitcase, let alone $300.00 to travel overseas. I don't how Spain is such a beautiful country but such a bad business!
RouteMiami to Madrid

"no functioning service"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Lima via Madrid. Fly Air Europa and you may be lost in the sky. No responsibility for connection problems! No functioning service or service staff on site. Simply lost in the sky.
RouteZurich to Lima via Madrid

"poor customer service"

Not Verified | Flew to Mallorca for the Mallorca 70.3 Ironman race the week before last. I purchased what I thought to be all Delta flights however Air Europa were the operators for all of the legs of my flight. I brought my racing bike in its travel case complete with all gear - helmet, cycling shoes, and race day necessities (not to mention a very pricey TT bike). Upon arrival to Mallorca Air Europa informed me that my bike was "lost" so I filed a claim. It took 15+ phone calls initiated by me, posts on Twitter to actually put some pressure on the airline and 5 days to locate my bike. Upon "localization," they tweeted at me and said the bike would arrive in Palma at 3:10PM that day. I called and confirmed the flight and nearly five hours after the flight landed and no bike, I called Air Europa who informed me that the bike was being held in Madrid and being sent back to JFK since I was leaving Mallorca on May 16. However, I was leaving Mallorca on May 19 on their same airline (information that was right in front of their faces). I have never experienced sure bad communication, poor customer service and a generally bad business acumen in my entire life - and I've traveled to four continents on numerous airlines without issue. I suggest to never fly Air Europa if you value your possessions and your time.
RouteNew York to Palma via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"luggage not included in price"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Valencia to Milan Malpensa via Madrid. Good aircraft (two flights). High price and luggage not included in price (one 15Kg bag for two passengers). This is not explained in the site when buying ticket. Thus I had to pay 60 Euro for a single bag. In addition, Fee requested for selecting seats. Thus: a return only flight for 2 people was 400E = 200E each. Airlines are profiting of you: luggage allowances and seat selection fees (as well as priority).
RouteValencia to Milan Malpensa via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"the cabin was extremely hot"

Trip Verified | One way flight from Lisbon, Portugal to Frankfurt, Germany via Madrid, Spain. Flight was delayed by over an hour in Lisbon and once we boarded sat on the tarmac for 30 minutes which was blamed on "ATC Regulations", a term used more than once as an excuse (keeping in mind this was a relatively quiet Sunday morning/afternoon). The flight attendant at least handed out water as the cabin was extremely hot. Once we arrived into Madrid over an hour late I was relieved to see the gate for the next leg was right next door, not that it mattered as the flight was also delayed. We boarded around 30 minutes late and it was then the captain announced that yet again due to "ATC regulations" the flight was not allowed to take off for another one hour and fifteen minutes! He said the reason they boarded us was they hoped the situation would improve. Again, the cabin was around 40c however no water was offered as the passengers sweated it out. After 40 minutes the plane finally took off and then we watched the incredibly slow progress of the flight attendants to serve us some sort of refreshment. Despite having a glossy catalogue full of food when I asked about ordering any of it I was told these flights don't carry food as the flight was too short (at this stage I had been on the plane for over 2.5 hours with 1 hour to go). The flight landed in Frankfurt at 7pm, 1 hour and 20 minutes later than scheduled. I believe Air Europa have little or no concern for their passengers safety forcing them to sit in hot planes for extended periods of time because they have issues with their take off and landing slots at airports. I would not recommend flying with them.
AircraftEmbraer 195 & Boeing 737
RouteLisbon to Frankfurt via Madrid
Date FlownMay 2018

"know how to ruin a nice trip"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Cancun return via Madrid. I used the service of bringing water sport equipment. All arranged and discussed prior to the trip and no costs used (as per website). All ok on the flight to Cancun and all verbal ok for the flight back. Once at the check in, after the luggage was on the belt we could chose to pay 150 euros or leave the stuff in Cancun? Air Europa know how to ruin a nice trip.
RouteCancun to Amsterdam via Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"they say the bag is included"

Trip Verified | Miami to Madrid. This is the worst airline by far. I got misled by the direct flight to Madrid but would never ever do this again. On their website they say that the bag is included but when you get to the airport you find out that they charge $150 per bag each way. I specifically called before I purchased the tickets to confirm if the bags are included in the price and I was told they are. When I got to the airport the flight was delayed 3.5 hours and they informed me that I need to pay $150 per bag but because of the delay I’ll pay $100. I handed them my credit card and they charged me $450! When I asked why they said $300 but they charged $450 they said that it’s in the system and it can’t be changed. I asked to talk to a manager and I was told he was at the gate. I went to the gate they told me that he is at the check in counter?
RouteMiami to Madrid
Date FlownApril 2018

"crew welcoming and helpful"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Vigo. Really good cabin crew. I fly Air Europa within Spain and their cabin crew are always welcoming and helpful. Far superior to Iberia. They use smaller jets with two abreast and good leg room making boarding and exiting quick and easy.
AircraftEmbraer 195