Air Canada

Air Canada customer review

Vancouver to Victoria on 16 June 2014 a 20-minute flight aboard a Dash8-300 connecting from Lufthansa. As I was leaving the Vancouver immigration and customs hall personnel of the Canadian Border Services Agency directed me to the wrong exit. Hence instead of going through a dedicated security line for passengers connecting to domestic flights I found myself in the main airport arrivals area bringing all my checked baggage with me even though it was tagged to Victoria my final destination. I asked an AC staff member driving an electric cart whether there was somewhere to drop my checked baggage or whether I should head for the domestic check-in queues. The airport wasn't busy she confirmed that my baggage was already tagged to my final destination and she had no passengers in her cart; so she took me directly to a separate counter (with its own conveyor belt) used for wheelchair passengers accepted my already-checked bag and issued my boarding card. Excellent treatment by Air Canada staff. (As it was a 20-minute flight it had no food or entertainment.)

Air Canada customer review

I've been a status flyer with AC for decades and look forward to the day when other airlines are allowed to compete in Canada for AC routes. Recent changes to Air Canada's 'reward' system mean it is much more difficult and expensive to achieve and retain status. I often fly YYC-NRT on AC010. Formerly Tango Plus fares were full status points at a reasonable price and upgradable. This has now changed the 'low cost' Tango fare usually gives you a ticket at a higher price with only 25% of the status points of the former fare and is not upgradable. Customers seeking an upgradable fare must instead book Flex which is a substantially higher price (35-45% higher). Additionally Air Canada will now bill you an extra $750 per leg to book the upgrade. My experience on June 8th was this. Pay extra for a Flex fare in order to upgrade. Upgrade not available so I've paid extra $350 for the Flex fare to sit in a lower priced economy seat available at a cheaper price. An out and out rip-off. If I had received the upgrade the extra costs for this leg would be $350 for the Flex fare class plus $750 for the upgrade itself = $1100. Add to this a flight crew that were disengaged and robotic.

Air Canada customer review

Flew a short flight YYZ to YOW on 29 June in ERJ190. More room both width and legroom than on the BA 787 that I flew on from LHR. Attentive crew. Minimal snacks but then it was less than an hour. Would fly again on the 190.

Air Canada customer review

Very poor quality service for Canada's "National" carrier. My wife and I travelled economy class Heathrow-Toronto on 9/6/2014 Vancouver-Anchorage on 16/6/2014 (admittedly this route is now down-graded to their low-cistern carrier Air Canada Rouge) and finally Vancouver-Heathrow on 25/6/2014. No problem with aircraft but cabin crew appeared insufficiently trained in a number of aspects incl. seat and window-blind positions for landing. Quality of food was appalling especially the vegetarian option my wife had pre booked and which was served 20-30 minutes before main service -she had finished what little she could eat before mine had arrived! The crowning glory was the offer called "breakfast" served after 8 hours a 9-hour flight and consisted of a small rectangle of dry cake with tea or coffee. How have Candians allowed their nation carrier to drop standards to this degree?

Air Canada customer review

Cabin crew were ok. Ground crew were overwhelmed and just didn't care what happened. Connections agent did not use any information system to inform us that our flight in 20 minutes had already departed. In fact our connection had been delayed 45 mins giving us adequate time to get to the gate. The connections agent directed us to stand on line for flight rebooking and for hotel accommodation. After 1 hour of waiting all the Air Canada agents went home and told us to rebook ourselves. Its a long story but almost every interaction with an Air Canada representative was poor.

Air Canada customer review

Victoria to Vancouver 4 June 2014 a 20-minute flight aboard a new Dash8-Q400 connecting to Lufthansa. The Dash8 series has never been able to accommodate a full-sized carry-on bag in the passenger cabin either in the overhead bin or under the seat in front. As a solution AC has accepted full-sized carry-on bags aboard the Dash8-100 - 200 and -300 models by having passengers place their bags on a cart beside the airstairs when boarding placed them in the baggage compartment as the last bags by the compartment door and then put those bags on another cart at the foot of the airstairs for passengers to collect upon arrival. With its new Dash8-Q400s Air Canada cannot do this but it only announced that fact at the gate at Victoria telling passengers that their full-sized carry- ons would be taken only as checked baggage to their final destination. Passengers were forced to take out from their carry-ons all the items essential to keep with them during their entire trip (laptops prescription medications anything breakable or valuable). My own carry-on is only two-thirds the standard full size and (just barely) fits under the seat in front so I was able to keep it in my possession for my entire 16-hour journey. Travellers should avoid AC flights served by Dash8-Q400 aircraft unless they use smaller carry-on bags not the standard full-sized ones. (As it was a 20-minute flight it offered no food or entertainment.)

Air Canada customer review

LHR to Toronto. Although I had originally seen a suitable flight schedule with Air Canada my travel agent organised for me to fly with Lufthansa as she said they were a more reputable airline. Turned out it was code share with Air Canada meaning no access to meal choice no seat selection and subsequently general anxiety about the booking. I got to the airport 3 hours before each time. At Heathrow I was patronised at the counter with 'everyone knows that showing up early does nothing anymore'. I was given a seat in the last row of the plane that only reclined slightly. No problem I am an experienced traveller and although I was on the way to give one of the most important presentations of my life I was able to relax and keep calm. At Toronto airport checking in for the Heathrow flight I had to queue a very long time and then was told there was no assigned seat for me. I went to Lufthansa to see if there was anything they could do for me. I asked why I could not check in online. They told me because the code was a Lufthansa code not recognised by Air Canada. They then told me that because I had bought a significantly cheaper fare (I hadn't) that I should expect to be treated like this. I did however notice that my class was Y which is usually on my boarding pass when I travel economy. Finally 30 minutes before the flight they called my name and had assigned my seat in the last row of the aircraft where I could not recline. This was the overnight flight from Toronto to Heathrow and I had to go back to work the next day. I was offered a choice of two meat based meals and had to refuse them as I am vegetarian. No seat choice no meal choice. My advice is to give code share a miss. Lufthansa and Air Canada may well be partners but when you travel Air Canada as a Lufthansa customer you are bottom rung nobody who somehow deserves to be patronised by all.

Air Canada customer review

Flew from Vancouver to Toronto in business class on a brand new 777-300. It had the brand new business class and it was excellent. Great staggered layout and single seats are amazing for sole travellers. Very comfortable in lie flat position and new duvet and pillows great quality. Excellent meal service and lovely staff. Would love to fly on this again.

Air Canada customer review

Flown Air Canada 100s of times and used to like them. Recently flew return Montreal to Edmonton. Paid for the flights because Aeroplan points are now essentially useless unless you book a year ahead. Also paid for extra legroom premium economy seats because of my height. On checking in discovered that we had been bumped to regular economy seats with my wife and I now on different rows! No advance notice from Air Canada regarding this. So I spent between takeoff and landing standing in the galley! Air Canada customer service - absolutely non-existent.

Air Canada customer review

Air Canada used the CRJ705 for this quick 80 min trip from Ottawa to Halifax. And you know what? The first class configuration of 1-2 is perfect. Nearly feels like a private jet! Nearly. Was also surprised that we got full meal service. Well done AC.
Cabin FlownFirst Class