Air Canada

"Absolutely horrible customer service"

Verified Review | My partner and I were returning from a trip from Asia, a 15 hour flight. We were to get a connecting flight in EWR with Air Canada and return to YYZ at 6pm. We made it to EWR with plenty of time to spare and as we were in line to check our baggage, we get a notification that the flight had been cancelled with no further information. There was an AC employee in the area and we asked her about the cancelled flight, she mentioned in passing that the flight got cancelled all the time but we needed to stand in the assistance line to figure out what to do next. We got in line and there was only one rep dealing with an entire cancelled flight. One would think that if a flight gets cancelled, the company would bring on more staff. So, after waiting in line for nearly 2 hours, mind you there were only 4 or 5 people ahead of us, we finally got to the rep, who was incredibly dismissive and borderline rude to us. We were told that because of weather, the flight was cancelled, no other information other than that. I can accept weather can cancel a flight but based on our experiences and the information I found, I suspect we were being lied to. I asked if there was any other information and all I got was a blunt 'No'. All they could do would be to put us on standby for a flight at 9.35pm and we would have no idea if we could get on that or not. If that failed, the next flight we could be on was 8.35am the next day. When I asked if there were any other airlines that AC could put us on, a blunt 'No'. When I asked if AC would put us up in a hotel, another blunt 'No'. When asked if there was any compensation, he blurted out 'nope' in almost a happy way. Absolutely horrible customer service. My partner has priority pass, so we thought we could wait in the AC lounge. We showed up at the lounge, tried to get in, the rep there informed us in a way that he almost seemed to take pleasure from, that the lounge was only open to priority pass members until 3pm. The next flight, ended up getting delayed, we asked the rep at the counter a couple times if there was any status on the standby list, the last time we asked, which was close to 11pm, they told us they would tell us in two minutes, 30 seconds later they called out at list of names, didn't explain what it was and left us completely in the dark. It turns out that everybody that was on standby, except for us got a seat on the plan. When I went up to ask what was going on, they told me that the plane was full, maybe, just maybe if we waited a little while longer, we might be able to get on. It turns out there was another couple waiting on standby that had already been bumped 4 times before us that day. We waited until probably around 11.30pm. The rep found that two people hadn't checked in so we did have seats! He rushed us on board and we got into the first two seats that were available, they happened to be in business class. They seemed a bit confused at first and then realised that the tickets were for seats in economy, the first rep told us not to worry about it but then this horribly unfriendly flight attendant came up to us and told us that we we would have to move. We said okay, grabbed our belongings quickly and started to look for our seats, at this time the flight attendant yells out at us 'just take your seat, we'll sort it out in the air' - well that's great, she is the one that forced us to move, meanwhile embarrassing us in front of everybody in the plane. Awful experience.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not okay with the ticket lady"

Verified Review | Montreal to Shanghai. Worst customer service ever. I flew in at 1:00 am, slept in the airport, then tried to check my luggage so I could eat and move through TSA. Went through three different people telling where to go after looking at my ticket. The ticket line was crazy but they were pulling people who had flights closer than the people around them. I was asked about six times when my flight was and waited in line for about an hour and thirty minutes. I am okay with people being pulled to pass me if they were going to miss my flight. I make it to the counter and the lady I spoke to looked at me and made a loud "annoyed" sound and asked, "why are you here." Explained everything and was cut off with her moving her arms rushing me away. When I asked why several people would have sent me through the line if it was too early to check my bags, she informed me she did not know, she was not them. I am okay with not being able to check my bags, I am okay with waiting in line, I am not okay with the ticket lady.
RouteMontreal to Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2017

"flight was late with no explanations"

Verified Review | Flew Air Canada from Bahamas to Montreal via Toronto. On my way to the Bahamas, I was quite pleased with the service on board. My family and I were flying Business class. Our luggage came very fast! Our flight back to Montreal from the Bahamas with a connection in Toronto was a disaster. First of all, the flight was late with no explanations, then when we got to Toronto, we almost missed the flight to Montréal. When we finally got to Montréal (at almost 3 am), we waited for about 30-45 minutes with no luggage! Half the people on the plane didn't have their belonging! There was a sea of unclaimed luggage! We submitted papers and got home at 4h30 am, we got 3 of 4 bags the next day, it took a week for them to find my luggage with no compensation. Notes were taken, never again will I check my luggage in with Air Canada.
RouteBahamas to Montreal via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"freezing in the airplane"

Verified Review | Toronto to Vancouver was one of the worst flight experiences I have ever had. It was freezing in the airplane and when we asked for a blanket they said you have to pay 7 dollars for a blanket. And they only accepted credit cards although we had canadian dollars. So I had to pay in Euro from my credit card. And of course they didn't have any complimentary meals or snacks in a 5 hour flight. We paid for a normal flight and got services as low as spirit.
RouteToronto to Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2017

"their less than caring agent "

Verified Review | Smithers to Penticton via Vancouver. Worst experience ever. My return flight was a couple hours late which made me miss my connection in Vancouver, I was told by the ticket agents before I flew to Vancouver that once I get to Vancouver at Midnight that Air Canada would provide me with a hotel and meal voucher. Once I got to Vancouver I went to Air Canada Customer Service and was told by their less than caring agent that they will not provide me with a hotel and that I could find a pillow and blanket at baggage claim. Got down to baggage and asked for a pillow and blanket and they were once again rude and said they don't provide that.
RouteSmithers to Penticton via Vancouver
Date FlownAugust 2017

!whole experience was below average"

Verified Review | I generally write reviews when I feel like there is a reason to commend or perhaps criticize an airline. Today I regretfully flew with Air Canada again from Vancouver to Montreal. We arrived 90 min prior to our domestic flight. The lines were especially long, and most kiosks for check in were busy. I went ahead to check us in and unsuccessfully an error receipt came out. I was forced to go into the check in line which had a wait time of 35 min. We got to the front of the line and found out that the flight was over booked and they wanted to put us on the next flight out. I was livid - how could they overbook the flight that we paid for? The Air Canada representative also had the audacity to mention that we were running late. After I firmly mentioned that I cannot get on the next flight, they magically found two seats right by one another. A miracle really. On my way from Montreal to Vancouver, I also did not have a pleasant experience. I had one carry on luggage. The front desk staff at the gate came specifically to me and asked to check it in for no charge because they had a full flight, and not enough space for the carry on luggage. I had some personal belongings that I wanted to carry on board, and in addition, I wanted to forego waiting for the checked in baggage to arrive in Vancouver. She relentlessly asked that I check it in, giving me no option even though many others had carry on bags of the same size that were not being checked in. I felt bullied into checking it in. The whole experience prior to take off each time was below average and I will not fly Air Canada again.
RouteMontreal to Vancover
Date FlownAugust 2017

"was very happy with the product"

Verified Review | Flew Toronto City to Montreal. Pleasant check-in staff, even put on an earlier flight, which was thoughtful. I like the free lounge (for everyone) at Billy Bishop. Flight on time and snacks and drinks served on board for this short flight. I appreciate that frequent travellers may have problems, but have to say that for me they checked every box and was very happy with the product, price and delivery (nice to air miles too on Miles & More).
AircraftDASH 400
RouteToronto City to Montreal
Date FlownMarch 2017

"not travel with them again"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Vancouver to Lisbon via Toronto. Caught four flights this month and will not travel with them again. Two of the flights were delayed and one of them the air hostess said there was no water on the plane. Please don't make the mistake of booking with this company. One of the delays made me lose a conection flight
RouteVancouver to Lisbon via Toronto

"excellent long-haul experience"

Verified Review | Dubai to Toronto. Another excellent long-haul experience in Air Canada 's business class on a Boeing 787. I was travelling with my 6-year old grandson. AC took great care of him. Quality of food was good, responsiveness of cabin crew was excellent, seat comfortable and flight was on time. My baggage was delayed, but that was the fault of another airline on the previous segment. Air Canada has upped its game on long-haul flights in their premium cabins. Air Canada uses the LH lounge in DXB which is quite nice, including good showers. My only complaint was the long wait on the gangway for boarding as there was no separate gangway for business class passengers.
RouteDubai to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"horror arised all over again"

Verified Review | Portland to Regina via Calgary. I hadn't flown Air Canada in years and the horror arised all over again. First flight was delayed by 2+ hrs. We would have to go up for an update ever 30 min because nothing was announced or changed on their tv. The staff were rude and non accommodating to changing flights. The guy said "I'm too busy if you want to switch your next connection you'll have to cancel this current one and wait because I need these computers open". I had to call Air Canada with my phone to even get help but unfortunately no other options by that point. Now I'm stuck with a 7hr layover and get in at 1am instead of 6pm and haven't even left my starting point! I will never fly Air Canada again and you should do the same.
RoutePortland to Regina via Calgary