Top 100 Airlines

Air Canada

"unhelpful, callous, rude"

Verified Review | Sunday, May 15th. Air Canada flight 7374 from Toronto to Dulles. Traveling with family of 6. My mother became ill on the first leg of our flight from Dublin to Toronto. Was transported via ambulance from Toronto Airport to hospital. My sister rode in the ambulance. I stayed to get bags, and to deal with another unnecessary problem - my 80 year old father, in a wheelchair, and my two sons, aged 21 and 23 were going to go on to Dulles as planned but one of my sons was bumped from the flight. We paid full price in January, we picked seats, checked in, etc. No idea why he was bumped. We go to gate to try to get him on the flight. My father is stressed, my boys needed to assist him, handle luggage, get the 3 of them home, keep him calm, etc. The reps at the gate were unhelpful, callous, rude. We were vacating seats for the medical emergency, there were clearly seats available, it was a no brainer. Apparantly Air Canada staff can do nothing but look at the computer screen. It took me 2.5 hours at the airport to find someone high enough up the food chain from Air Canada to get my son on the flight and he was put on at the last minute. I should've been with my mother at the hospital but had to deal with this problem that shouldn't have been a problem at all. Also had trouble getting bags off the flight (they pulled the wrong bags twice). They rescheduled us to fly the next afternoon, then bumped my mother to a later flight and notified via email. She couldn't travel on her own. I spent hours trying to reach a customer service rep (no answer - busy signal over and over, then cut off by auto reply machine). When I got a rep he couldn't do anything said we had to go to the airport to deal with it. Finally gave up. Went to United. They were dealt with getting us on a flight, wheelchair service, etc. in less than 30 minutes of time.
RouteYYZ to IAD
Date FlownMay 2016

"trash collection was minimal"

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Toronto. I pushed the call button to request an attendant and about ten minutes after no one came I started to time how long it would take to get service - 24 minutes for someone to come to assist me, for that time there was no sign of a flight attendant in the walk ways. I spoke with the service director about the long delay only to be told that due to the placement of the call buttons on the arm rests that flight attendants can never be sure if a call is legitimate so they allow time for people to cancel the call in case it was made accidentally. I do not know if that is airline policy bit of it is the policy to ignore a call for service I am extremely disappointed. The trash collection on the flight was minimal in that cups and rappers were cluttered for a good bit requiring that tables be left done which minimizes comfort.
RouteCPH to YYZ
Date FlownMay 2016

"legroom in row 18 exceptional"

Our return flight from Paris started off on the wrong foot when I tried to check-in online the day before our flight. Although I prepaid for preferred seats at $200 ($100 each), when I tried to check-in we were no longer assigned to these seats, rather we were assigned seats in row 57. When I tried to select preferred seats online it prompted me to pay again. I contacted Air Canada via Twitter and they explained the change was due to an aircraft change, which was wrong as it was a B777ER high density aircraft, which is the type always used on this route. They ended up assigning us to preferred seats 18H/J (rather than 18J/K that I booked), but it was poor customer service that I had to contact them after paying for confirmed seats, and for not being notified of the change in advance. In speaking with the gentlemen in seat 18k, he indicated he was upgraded to the preferred seat for having Super Elite status with AC. Paying passengers should not be bumped for Super Elite passengers. He was a nice man and ended up moving to the middle row which was completely empty, which leads me to wonder why they bumped us out of our seats for him, when there were many other preferred seats available - bad customer service Air Canada. The legroom in row 18 is exceptional, better than Premium Economy actually, which comes in handy considering the lack of width in the 17 inch seats. I usually fly AC, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. FAs on the return flight were rude and we felt like we were inconveniencing them. During meal service the FA asked if I wanted fish or pasta, and when I asked what the pasta was, she rolled her eyes. The meal was actually delicious (salmon) and we also received a mid-flight snack and small pre-arrival meal consisting of a delicious hot cajun chicken wrap. Beverage service was quite regular. IFE was average.
RouteCDG to YUL

"enjoyed our experience"

Flight from Montreal YUL to Paris CDG was uneventful. We departed on time and we enjoyed our first experience flying in Premium Economy with Air Canada. The seats were relatively comfortable, with ample legroom and recline. The meal after departure was delicious (chicken curry, edamame beans, rice, with salad, roll and cake). The service was quite good, albeit a bit rushed. A light breakfast was served with banana bread and yogurt, although I expected a bit more for premium economy. The IFE was average, with not a lot of options.There is no divider between PE and Economy but overall we enjoyed our experience. Economy looked like tight quarters on this high density aircraft.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteYUL to CDG
Date FlownMay 2016

"Porter got a whole lot more friendly"

Verified Review | I fly with Air Canada extensively throughout Canada. When I first started taking this route (from St. John's to Halifax) they were flying an E90. Which was a lovely plane, lots of luggage space, overhead compartments and space. Since then they have put on a CRA which admittedly was a step down, not to mention a little older - but we made due because it still offered in cabin entertainment and was able to get to and from Halifax in a reasonable period of time. Today, I have been told that in the 2 weeks since my last flight they have downgraded to a Q400 turboprop plane. This plane unlike the last two has nothing, small cabin, small space, no in cabin entertainment and to add more discomfort it will take an additional half hour to make it to its destination. flights to and from Halifax are consistently full, so clearly this is not a space issue. But it is a comfort issue for your loyal passengers. I am not a big fan of Porter as I have always been a loyal Air Canada customer but to be honest when you take away your only "advantage" Porter just got a whole lot more friendly.
AircraftDH400, AC8993
RouteYYT to YHZ

"entertainment very good"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Toronto with Air Canada. Daytime flight on this Boeing 777-300. Travelled as a couple and upgraded the seat for one with extra legroom as I am 6'4" tall it always helps! Boarding at Heathrow was hassle free and we were welcomed on board. Seats are pretty narrow being an exit row but plenty of legroom. Food was pretty standard, crew were a bit hap hazard in that they missed passengers during service and were called back on a few occasions for missed food or drinks. Entertainment was very good, toilets were kept very clean and the one nearest our seat was much larger than normal which was a bonus. Departed on time, arrived slightly early despite the freezing conditions in Toronto.
RouteLHR to YYZ
Date FlownMarch 2016

"they had overbooked"

Verified Review | Turks and Caicos to Montreal via Toronto. We were delayed take-off at Providenciales heading to Toronto due to a broken door. We missed our connection in Toronto because of this delay. They did not make the plane wait for 20 passengers and we missed it even though we were at that Gate at 2 minutes to departure. We were told to standby with 2 of our little kids. We were not given any priority and they had overbooked all 3 planes heading to Montreal that night. We finally ended at Hotel at 2am with 2 small kids overnight. They were prioritizing other standby customers who had decided to take an earlier flight. Air Canada dropped the ball. It's all a numbers game and rehearsed rubbish excuse given to each complaining customer. Too bad.
RoutePLS to YUL via YYZ
Date FlownApril 2016

"crew are efficient and pleasant"

Verified Review | Victoria to Ottawa via Toronto return with Air Canada. Another great way to get to the Canadian Capitol. From check-in to arrival, all was great. I enjoy the fact that Air Canada crew are efficient and pleasant. However, some of the seats are showing their age. My headset jack required a few tries to get the proper sound.
AircraftA320-200
RouteYYJ to YOW via YYZ
Date FlownApril 2016

"cabin crew were professional"

Verified Review | Flew on the B787 for Narita - Vancouver and A321 for Vancouver - Ottawa. Air Canada B787s are quite basic in comparison to their older planes (B763, B744) that I've been on and I actually like the interior of the A321 more during our journey. The 788 seats were quite narrow and hard and overall, passable in terms of comfort. The plane's interior looked "tired". Food was served fast but was not properly heated as our water and salad were frozen and not consumable. IFE was decent but did not like the fact that the remote was very small and could not be extended, thank goodness it was also touch screen though. Only plus for AC for NRT-YVR was the ground staff and cabin crew who were all helpful and friendly. As for the YVR-YOW leg, enjoyed the flight as we found the Bus to be much more comfortable than the 788. IFE was more user-friendly and of better quality. Cabin crew were professional and friendly. Drinks were served continuously throughout the flight.
AircraftBoeing 787-800 and A321-200
RouteNRT to YOW via YVR

"downgrading Premium Economy"

Verified Review | Air Canada is showing some cheap attitude downgrading Premium Economy to just Economy Plus with such bad experience - in just over a year already their Premium economy has been homologated to what their Star Alliance partners Air China and SAS does. Last week flew Vancouver to Tokyo Narita and the service was the same of Economy except for the main course - after that is just the same drinks, the same snack, the same lunch. They keep the divider curtains open between Economy and Economy Plus section, only closed for the main course because it is different. Then flew Beijing to Toronto yesterday and it was even worse. Economy was full with 3-4-3 configuration and Premium Economy was almost empty - people from economy moving to PE (Economy Plus) seating there, the curtain open between economy and Premium economy. Now they have more Business Class seats with the bathroom in the back in economy for Economy and Economy Plus passengers. Never again Air Canada or Air China who have downgraded to a cheap product and charging the same of others whom are offering a much better product. I can't believe they invest so much money in some new cabins and they do not do that "extra" to buy a better seat and have a much better product.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER