Best Cabin Crew

Air Canada

"very generous legroom"

Toronto to Vancouver. Air Canada ground staff in YYZ not as friendly as YVR but I guess it is a much busier station. I again paid $60 extra to book a preferred seat. This time it was 13A on Boeing 787. This seat is in the Premium economy cabin. I was made aware of the fact that this was not *Premium Economy* service as Air Canada does not offer that class of service domestically. It is simply a charge to sit in this section of the cabin. It was worth the money for a 4.5 hour flight. The small cabin is very private, with very generous legroom, seat width and comfort. It also means that you are the first to be offered food and beverage service and among the first to deplane at destination. Buy onboard choices were in my opinion reasonably priced and a very nice selection. Flight attendants attentive yet realised it was an evening flight and many people just wanted to nap. Two trolley services were offered as well as a couple of water runs. Superbowl was being played as we were flying and the flight deck made two announcements to give the score at the end of halftime and the final score. Perfect, rather than making copious announcements every time the score changed. Cabin crew checking the cabin to make sure everyone was looked after, but respecting the fact that many were sleeping. The only observation I had is that the flight was only approx 65% full yet all the seats in the back 10 rows remained empty. Surely the ground staff could have suggested moving some of the pax to even out the space and make more people more comfortable.
RouteYYZ to YVR

"not a great experience"

At Toronto airport, even though I had Elite status, the staff didn't make me feel especially welcome or valued customer. I had the opportunity to try out Air Canada's new Premium Economy product on this domestic flight between YYZ and YVR, which required paying a bit extra to be in a special cabin just in front of regular Economy. The seat was not remarkable, except that it has a wider seat pitch and a bit more recline and a footrest. The plane was a Boeing 777, which had 458 seats, and it took a very long time to board the aircraft because there were so many passengers. The crew were doing their job, not particularly friendly or offering service that deserves any mention. On flight was offered drinks twice. The captain (or co-pilot) was attentive though, as we experienced quite a bit of turbulence and he came on several times to assure the passengers. Really not a great experience in Premium Economy.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteYYZ to YVR
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"impressed in all aspects"

Vancouver to Toronto with Air Canada. Very impressed in all aspects of this flight. Online check in easy, proceeded straight to the gate, friendly ground staff in YVR. Flight departed on time, very full but didn't feel crowded. Captain kept us updated through the flight. Paid $60 in advance for a preferred seat 18K which was worth every penny. Tons of legroom. My first time on a 787 and it was very impressive. Excellent features and very quiet. Flight Attendants very well groomed, friendly and efficient. I do find it annoying that on a four hour North American flight on a full service airline that the only food offering is buy onboard. However, having said that the pricing and quality of the items cannot be faulted. I prepaid for a meal and snack voucher for $7 Canadian. For that I choose a Swiss cheese / crackers package which had a very generous offering of cheese with it, and a delicious Montreal smoked meat sandwich on rye with pickles. It would have cost more than that just about anywhere else. Buying it in advance is quite a saving over the listed prices and the flight crew knew I had done so and offered up choices in advance before things ran out. Quite an efficient system for buy onboard. Water was offered regularly on top of the two trolley services which include complimentary coffee / tea / softdrinks. Early arrival in Toronto after a very pleasant flight.
RouteYVR to YYZ
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"excellent food and drinks"

Flew Air Canada business class from Calgary to Narita on the direct flight. Flight left on time and service on board was good. Good selection of excellent food and drinks. FAs very attentive. Seating is herring bone style and seats fold to completely flat position which allows for comfortable sleeping. IFE offering also good with reasonable selection of movies. One complaint though, the WC was not kept clean. This is unacceptable. FAs should check and clean washrooms inflight if necessary.
RouteYYC to HND
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"sleeping was no problem"

Toronto to Frankfurt on an overnight, checking in was easy with a separate section for Business, Premium class flyers. Maple Leaf Lounge was great, many seats and tables, plus free food and drink. On this Boeing 777-300, Business has a 1-2-1 Pod style seats. I found nothing wrong with them. If it was a bad thing, I couldn't sit beside my wife who I was also on this trip, so I sat behind her on the right side of the plane. To sit kinda beside is taking an isle seat but it's no window seat, plus because the pods are positioned in the pod style, being comfortable in your chair would be hard to chit chat to your traveling partner, so it's down to preference. Food was great, and the drinks were non stop. The bed was 180 degree flat bed and comfortable. There were no PJ's provided like other airlines. I am 6ft 2 and did not find it cramped and sleeping was no problem. I did read reviews in advanced that sitting in the last back seat of each section of Business, provides a bit more storage space, and it was true. So if you book in advanced and select your seat, try for these. But overall, no complaints. The flight was spacious, pods give that cozy effect. There is plenty of plugs and sockets to charge your things. However, non North American travelers, if you need a plug, make sure you have your plug converter.
RouteYYZ to FRA
Date FlownAugust 2015

"retro experience"

Toronto to Frankfurt with Air Canada - extremely slow check-in, unsure why, but neither the computer check-in or the desk layout are intuitive. At the gate - E-71, ground announcements were not intelligible. Onboard is where the retro experience begins. Crew are friendly, service good, but food, ergonomics and entertainment are 1990s - late 20th C at best. The problem is that, for the money one pays, the actual experience is a complete letdown. For same, lower or slightly higher cost, various competitors offer 21st C comfort and care. Poor entertainment, analog quality, reminds me of a VCR. Seats - I am fit and slim, 177cm tall and barely fit. Cannot imagine how taller people, such as most Western Europeans would feel. Food was forgettable - continental breakfast, some snacks and some pasta. WiFi and connectivity - non-existant. Lufthansa on the flight after - same Airbus, different league.
AircraftA330-300
RouteYYZ to FRA

"IFE on every seat"

I was supposed to fly to Toronto from New York on Westjet but I got stuck in Boston. I booked an Air Canada flight instead and I was very glad I did. Checking in online was easy and I was able to select my preferred seat. At the airport, Air Canada ground crew were friendly, they let me check two bags for free. Boarding was on time and so was the arrival. It was my first time to fly on an Embraer aircraft. I was impressed - I think E-jets have a lot to offer. There was IFE on every seat and the cabin crew were attentive and helpful. Snacks were available and they were tasty. As it was a day flight, I enjoyed the view, especially when we flew over the Niagara falls. I enjoyed the flight and would definitely fly with Air Canada again.
AircraftE175
RouteBOS to YYZ
Date FlownApril 2015

"Leg space is really limited"

Air Canada's service was, from beginning to end, appalling. On the flight from Tokyo Haneda to NYC via Toronto one of the flight attendants treated passengers as if they were inferior to her. Before takeoff she ordered passengers to close their overhead compartment (isn't this her responsibility?). At one point, there was a lady with a crying baby. This flight attendant told her to put her two large bags up in the compartment in a rude and apathetic manner. The lady was too short to do so, and she was alone, so she had to get a tall passenger next to her to do it for her. On another occasion, she came over and reached over to turn off my reading light without any warning, which I was using to do my knitting. As she reached over, she spilt water on my boyfriend's leg, she apologised and said "give it 2 minutes and it'll dry." The two male flight attendants were also rude - when handing out inflight meals, they would stare in silence when passengers were trying to decide what meal to pick and when collecting trays they would just hold out their hands, expecting passengers to hand over your tray as well as other passengers if they were sleeping. On the ground, before take off I politely asked an Air Canada staff member if my boyfriend and I could sit next to each other since our seats were one in front of the other. He seemed overly confident that it was possible and told me he would call my name out. I waited until the last minute, after people started boarding, for him to call my name to find out that he found an aisle seat 9 rows away with no change to the other middle seat we initially had. I understand an aisle seat is great when traveling alone, but this was the opposite of what we wanted - we were now 9 rows away. I told him that that's not what we want, and immediately he snapped, took back the flight ticket, and said, "if you're not going to appreciate this change I'm giving you back your old seats." To add, the inflight vegetarian meals were awful, if at all edible. Leg space is really limited compared to Air Canada's smaller, older planes. I would pay more just to avoid Air Canada.
RouteHND to LGA via YYZ
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"food and service very good"

Great experience with Air Canada flying from Vancouver to Sydney. Began with an outstanding agent at check in at Vancouver who couldn't have been more helpful with some complexities with our reservations. Not Air Canada's fault. Inflight food and service very good. Dinner, plentiful snacks, and a very decent breakfast all superior to other major airlines I've flown recently. Flight Attendants helpful and attentive, Premium Economy seat very comfortable. A better product than Premium Economy on other carriers I've experienced.
RouteYVR to SYD

"professional cabin crew"

Montreal to São Paulo via Toronto on Air Canada. Smooth check-in and on time performance on all 4 legs. Friendly and professional cabin crew on all flights, especially on the outbound leg between Toronto and São Paulo. Food quality and quantity were decent but the quality of wines offered has deteriorated. The Boeing 767's are really showing their age and AC needs to replace them soon. Lie flat seats offer reasonable comfort but they need better cushioning and back support in the flat position. IFE had good variety for movies and TV shows but audio offering was dismal. Overall it was a good experience although the final leg on the return was cancelled without advance notice and I was not offered the customary Concierge service as a top tier flyer. This meant I had to run around and make alternate arrangements; a blemish to what would otherwise have been a good travel experience. This was particularly disappointing given Toronto is AC's Global Hub. AC needs to either deliver the Concierge service as advertised and promised to its most loyal clients or get rid of it all together to avoid failed expectations.
AircraftA320, Boeing 767