Air Canada

"said I need to cooperative"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Las Vegas. I got to the gate and was told I can’t bring my carry on on board because the plane was full. I said I wouldn’t fly Air Canada again and the lady said I need to cooperative. After boarding the plane I notice that about 10% of the overhead compartments are available.
RouteToronto to Las Vegas

"No help with my bags"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Washington. Terrible customer service. No help with my bags, self-service to heave your bags onto electric line. I'm supposed to stand there waiting while they "go get someone" instead of go through security.
RouteToronto to Washington
Date FlownApril 2018

"sleeping on the hard floors"

Trip Verified | Toronto to New York La Guardia. First they changed the gate without announcing it last minute. A bunch of us missed the flight and it was our fault (they say). Second flight was cancelled due to weather which I understand. But the way the ground staff handled it was so unprofessional. Air Canada cancelled my flight 3 times. I was at Pearson international from Friday to Sunday sleeping on the hard floors cause they don’t reimburse for hotels if your a local, meaning anywhere in Canada. Onn the Sunday the manager happen to put me on a flight out. I got on the flight when I landed in La Guardia my bags were not on the plane it’s been 3 days now. The call centre in india can’t locate my bags and the Canadian # doesn’t work due to high call volumes. I’ve missed my international connection twice, with no bags. I will never ever fly or use Air Canada ever again.
RouteToronto to New York La Guardia
Date FlownApril 2018

"flights were canceled upon arrival"

Trip Verified | Seoul to Minneapolis via Toronto. Once we arrived at the Toronto Airport, the staff there were so unorganized. They had really bad attitudes & when we asked for directions, the first thing this woman did was questioned us why we were there & told us to go back to the direction where we came from. Coming back from my international destination, when everyone was seated in the plane, it was announced that there were “technical” issues & we would have to sit in the plane for 45 minutes. Well, that turned to an hour & half. Even worst was dealing with flight attendants for 13 hours. Our landing was postponed for an hour due to technical issues and the weather condition. Majority of travelers' flights were canceled upon arrival, and the people at Toronto Pearson (Terminal 1) were helpless. There was no one directing people to where they needed to go for assistance. The lines started to get long at Gate 15 at departures but there was absolutely no one to direct people where to line up or answer questions. We waited at the phone line for 1.5 hour just to wait another hour to speak with a representative. Getting impatient, I ended up at the hotel line for 2 hours just to find out it was to book a hotel when we just wanted to rebook our cancelled flight. Once we got to the Air Canada counter, the lady didn’t even care to look anything up on her computer & just told us to call this number that didn’t even work because it had “reach capacity.” Basically, the only help most of the 300+ travelers got were from other travelers. Also, this worker came onto the intercom to announce to us that they are doing their best to help us. Following that announcement came some short responses from frustrated travelers. We spent the night at the airport and they closed Gate 15 down & turned people away. When I asked about the hotel vouchers, the man questioned me & my intentions instead of help, there was no one floating around to help travelers with cancelled flights.
RouteSeoul to Minneapolis via Toronto
Date FlownApril 2018

"Worst airline I’ve flown on"

Trip Verified | Montreal to New York LGA. Ridiculous transfer flight manipulation. Made me miss my flight because of 2 hour delay sitting in plane for de-icing and waiting for other customers on a transfer flight to board. But why didn’t they wait for us? Seriously looking at their bottom line and not caring for the customer at all. They cancelled at least half a dozen flights from Toronto to NYC because of freezing rain but there was absolutely no urgency to fly folks out in the morning so those flying at night got stuck with completely booked flights. I actually had a nonstop flight booked but 7 minutes later they kicked me out of my spot for no reason. Worst airline I’ve flown on.
RouteMontreal to New York LGA
Date FlownApril 2018

"service was below average"

Trip Verified | St John's to Sydney via Toronto / Vancouver. I was travelling for several hours. In Toronto crew suggested I ask for 3-4 seats together when I got to Vancouver as the flight was not full. In Vancouver I was given 3 seats in a row but just my luck it was 3 seats where you could not raise the arm rests. There was however in the back row 2-4-2 which were empty. The crew had put their bags in the row with 4 seats. When requested to find a place to sleep I was told to look around the plane. The crew used the seats to put their bags and sit during the flight to do crosswords. The service was below average, staff looked tired and 'service' was not on top of their list. They need to either retire, do short flights or retrain with some of the Asian airlines. Food was terrible. I was ticketed as an international flight from Toronto to Sydney but was expected to pay for food and 3.50 for cheap headphones that would cost them 20 cents. Air Canada needs to have a good look at themselves. They bring Star Alliance down.
AircraftBoeing 777-200LR
RouteSt John's to Sydney via Toronto / Vancouver
Date FlownApril 2018

"a subject of itinerary change"

Trip Verified | Vancouver to Wellington via Sydney. I booked the ticket for my mother to travel Wellington, New Zealand from Vancouver, Canada. I booked in mid-February to travel in April beginning. My mother is old and has limited English. So i want her to travel hassle free for her vacation. The reason I choose air Canada 1) Price wise i can save about 150$ compared to the next cheap flight 2) I don't want to transit at Auckland because she needs to take a bus between international arrival and local departure at Auckland. 3) Air Canada's transit at Sydney only 3 hours and she can clear the bags at Wellington. My mother is Canadian and she doesn't require an ETA or transit visa to Australia if she has less than 8 hours transit. Exactly two days before the travel, we have received an email from Air Canada with a subject of itinerary change. No information inside the email except the itinerary. As per the new itinerary, transit at Sydney become 10 hours from just 3.5 hours. Same day evening we called the Air Canada to seek the reason. The person came to the phone didn't tell the reason. He just says the transit changed. Then we request for accommodation but he refused. Finally, we request the food voucher as a compensation for their possible mistake. He said they can provide that at the airport. ultimately its a useless conversation for us.( Nothing provided at the airport at the end.) Then only we realized my mother required an ETA or transit visa to Australia. Transit visa is free but it could take up to 5 days to get it. So we apply for ETA and luckily we received almost immediately. As per there website, this could take up to 12 hours sometime. We were not happy about Air Canada's behavior. So on the same day, we file a complaint with Air Canada and asked them to reply immediately since the next day my mother was flying. It is now almost 5 days and my mother in New Zealand for 3 days. But no reply from Air Canada until now. Money wise we are not losing anything but this was making us nervous. Unnecessary stress. Especially my mother. 150$ is lots of money. But I think next time I won't worry about even 500$.
RouteVancouver to Wellington via Sydney

"extremely positive experience"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Laguardia. Had an extremely positive experience with Air Canada and their staff. After high winds left us grounded for 8 hours, they accommodated my Party of 4 and helped us all get on another flight together as soon as possible. Due to late arrival at our destination they allowed us to change our flight back to Toronto by a day and had a great conversation with Air Canada staff over phone! Thanks Air Canada!! Cant wait to fly to Spain with you in July!
RouteToronto to Laguardia
Date FlownApril 2018

"paying the price big time"

Trip Verified | I was supposed to be on flight from San Francisco to Calgary. They cancelled flight and said there were no other flights to Calgary for the day, that I had no choice but to fly to Toronto and then back to Calgary. Still stuck in Toronto and have since found out there were two other flights that went to Calgary on schedule. I avoid Air Canada at all costs but was stuck on this trip - paying the price big time.
RouteSan Francisco to Calgary
Date FlownApril 2018

"no compensation for the delay"

Trip Verified | Calgary to Vancouver. It started as a 1:45 min delay then they boarded us and we waited another 30 min waiting for the ramp crew. The incompetence is astounding but it appears to be the norm for Air Canada that rarely in my experience makes a departure on time. Will avoid this airline if possible in the future. Also no compensation for the delay that creates hardship for passengers.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver