Air Canada

Review by (Canada) 7th July 2015

Air Canada is known for poor food and very poor entertainment options (the television programs are very limited and don't change regularly) but the seats are good in economy and excellent when you have a flight with the pod configuration in business.
RouteVancouver to Bejing

Review by (Canada) 7th July 2015

We travelled Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge to Italy in June/July 2015. For once, we have very positive things to say about Air Canada. Air Canada Rouge was very comfortable for the longer flights overseas - even offering meals, snacks, blankets and pillows. The inflight entertainment we used on our own Apple devices worked very well, and there was one plug in our seat area for charging. It was nice to be able to choose our seats ahead of time with no charges as well. The most positive thing we have to say about our flights is that I accidentally left my ipad mini on board our very last flight going into Halifax. The flight attendant went out of her way to turn my ipad into lost and found and even emailed me telling me this. It had ended up in St John's, NFLD, where we arranged pick up to have it returned to us. We received it a couple of days later. I am very thankful and grateful to her and the other employees in lost and found who made sure I received my ipad back! As far as I'm concerned, they went above and beyond.
RouteYHZ to FCO via YUL

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

Canadian Customs and very slow baggage pickup caused delay in getting to the check-in counter to transfer baggage. Waited 45 minutes to get through customs, baggage was another 20 minutes before they got it on the carousel. When we got to the counter, the agent refused to issue boarding passes because she said we would not make the flight - we had 50 minutes before departure. The transfer baggage counter had actually closed 20 minutes before we arrived. We were forced to spend the night in Toronto. Toronto Airport is a terribly disorganized Airport and Air Canada fell very short of what I have known them to be. They charged for extra baggage even though they participate in a codeshare. They also took advantage of inexperienced travelers by checking in two people booked on one ticket so they could double the extra baggage charge. I personally will no longer make Air Canada a consideration for any flights in the future.
RouteReyjkjavik to Houston via Toronto

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

Upon arriving at Dublin Airport at 9am we were told our flight was delayed 12 hours. Keep in mind the weather was sunny and beautiful. No explanation given, just some crummy food vouchers for $25 to be used in the airport. Our connection to Chicago was going to be missed, so Air Canada said they would put us in a hotel at their expense, once we arrived in Toronto. At 9pm we boarded the plane only to be held on the runway for another 2 hours. Once again, no explanation. A long flight to Toronto then commenced. Upon landing in Toronto we were then told that they would not honor the hotel, but that we could sleep on the cold concrete floor in the airport until our Chicago connection was ready to board.
RouteDublin to Chicago via Toronto

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

All 4 flights were on time and Air Canada product shames every US carrier, especially in Economy. Every seat has free IFE which was adequate for SFO-YUL and YUL-LHR sectors, but it could be more extensive for longer flights in AC's network. Food was for purchase on North American flights and complementary food on the transatlantic flights was okay. The crew on all flights were very friendly, although I found the Montreal-based crews to be slightly warmer than their Vancouver-based colleagues. I would definitely fly with Air Canada again.
AircraftA319 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteSFO to LHR via Montreal

Review by (Australia) 4th July 2015

Upon arrival at the airport, we paid $75 for 3 pieces of checked luggage and went to the bag drop only to be told we didn't have seats as the flight was full. If someone has paid for a seat on a plane, they should have that seat. After a few minutes of arguing, he assured us that we would be on the flight. When we had gone through security, we went to the customer service desk and explained what had happened. The lady there told us we did not have seats at this stage and that the guy in baggage drop had no authority to guarantee that we would get on the plane. She told us to wait at the gate to see if we were allocated a seat. After a very tense hour, and after most of the passengers had boarded, we were eventually called to the gate and given boarding passes, seated several rows apart. Compared to other airlines around the world, and particularly our domestic flights on Qantas and Virgin Australia, the standard of service is well below par. Having to pay for checked in luggage on top of an inflated flight price, and only offered a soft drink or juice and small pack of nuts adds insult to injury. They made the end to our lovely 6 week holiday in Canada a stressful time unnecessarily.
RouteCalgary to Vancouver

Review by (United States) 3rd July 2015

Tired B777-300ER. Most B773s are sparkling new, this must have been one of the originals. Crew was delightful, food was average. Would consider Air Canada slightly better than US-based airlines but not world class by any means.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteToronto to Shanghai

Review by (United States) 2nd July 2015

Had a nice experience on this short haul. On a 1.5 hour flight there was a TV screen with movies and shows for free if you bring your own headsets. Free drinks and snack. Better than any domestic service. Check-in convenient. Good recognition of Star alliance gold, allowed me access to lounge though I am a United gold and allowed free check in. Flight was overbooked, but got into the flight due to my status.
AircraftEmbarer 175
RouteYYZ to ORD

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

My first time with Air Canada. Refitted Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 layout. Fine as I had a seat empty next to me but it would be squashed when full. I had a 3-3-3 layout on the way home and was glad of the extra space. Flight was fine - slightly un-engaging and sloppy staff (one spilt water over me and didn't even notice). Food was awful though - low quality and very little of it. The Kosher meals served around me though looked huge and tasty! I'd say BA Economy is a better bet overall.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Toronto via Montreal

Review by (Canada) 28th June 2015

Vancouver to Toronto. Checked in 2 pieces of luggage at 25.00/piece. I don't mind the user fee but the carry on luggage was extreme. The flight was full. Carry on's excessive and large. The option to have carry on's stowed while waiting at the gate was unfair to those who had to pay to stow luggage. It was obvious that most of the carry on did not meet the regulations. Way too much luggage brought onto cabin. Very time consuming waiting for people to find a place to store luggage. The flight was uncomfortable. Seats are not large enough for most people to sit comfortably. Nothing complimentary offered other than water, other food and beverages to purchase. On a 5 hour flight I think free juice/coffee should be offered.
RouteAnchorage to Toronto via Vancouver