Air Canada

"major disappointment"

Verified Review | I recently flew Air Canada business class from NYC LGA to Toronto YYZ. Granted this is a short flight of about 1.5 hours but I expected more from a global airline such as this. Generally, I don't rush to board early because my luggage is usually checked. Also, boarding early just means I have to sit and wait longer as everyone slowly boards the plane and settles into their seats. Air Canada groups zones 1 and 2 together for one queue and 3 and 4 together in the other queue. Needless to say, this is very inefficient and confusing because people in zone 2 are standing on the line (early, mind you) waiting to board mixed in with zone 1 (business class) passengers. When they started boarding, some people just stood there and didn't move. That's because they were zone 2. So zone 1 passengers had to ask the person in front of them if they were moving or not and then proceed to walk ahead of them if they were zone 2. The boarding process is very backwards and makes no sense. After about 15 minutes, I was ready to board. The gate agent scanning tickets of passengers had his back to the queues. Which meant he would not see me if I walked up to the zone 1 and 2 queue. So I wound up standing in line with the zone 3 and 4 passengers. On other airlines, I would be able to walk right up and the gate agents would see me and take me right away because they would be facing the queues. Once onboard, I took my seat. And waited at least 10 minutes before a flight attendant asked me if I wanted something to drink. The FA working the business class section was standing by the door and greeting passengers with another FA, completely oblivious to the fact that I had just taken the last seat in business class. Shouldn't her focus be on the business class passengers? For this short trip, all they offered was a "snack" consisting of a slice of cheese and various cold cut meats. The flight departed at 11:05 am and was expected to land at 12:40 pm. I was expecting some kind of a light lunch, not light snack. The return flight was a complete mess whereby they checked me in "so quickly" that the systems didn't have enough time to catch up with the immigration system. Being a Global Entry customer, I was turned away by a US Immigrations Officer and asked to go sit in a waiting area so that my flight check in information would "catch up" with the other systems. I sat in this room nearby waiting for my name to pop up on a screen. It never happened because an Air Canada employee who directed me to this room remembered me and asked to see my ticket. I gave it to her and she scanned it on one of their machines. And I was cleared. If she hadn't walked into that room, I would've sat there waiting for my name to pop up on some screen and wasted more time! I was considering Air Canada for future Asian and / or European trips but after experiencing this, I am not flying them ever again. Major disappointment.
RouteLa Gaurdia to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"no agent to meet the plane"

Verified Review | Montreal to Shanghai. I am a long-time and generally loyal Air Canada customer, but they will lose my business now. The flight left Montreal 35 minutes late ( no reason given) and docked 1hr35min late in Shanghai, with a 2 hr connection to my Thai Airways flight to Bangkok. I had only carry-on, so no luggage problem, but there was no Air Canada agent to meet the plane and escort me to the connecting gate (I had to go through immigration and then security again). Missed the connection to Bangkok by 5 minutes and then there was no Air Canada agent available anywhere in Shanghai to rebook me or to assist in getting overnight accommodations. Finally after many calls and hours with AC in Canada, I managed to get rebooked the following day.
RouteMontreal to Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2017

"no bags to be found"

Verified Review | Calgary to Columbus. Baggage lost and then delivered to hotel early next morning. Return flight unpleasant experience with staff at YYC over moving to an earlier flight if there was room. The connection gets cancelled in Toronto and on standby list for later flight and confirmed to that flight an hour later. Ask the attendant if our bags need to be transferred. She ensured they would be fine and be on the flight. Flight gets delayed. Finally get to Columbus 4.5 hours late, no bags to be found. File for lost baggage with agent on duty. Call today to see where everything stands and they have no record of the filing. Terrible customer service with long wait times and the only way to submit a complaint is by email due to lack of phone number.
RouteCalgary to Columbus
Date FlownJuly 2017

"staff simply do not care"

Verified Review | Every single Air Canada segment of this return trip from London to Calgary via Kelowna was delayed. The staff were rude on the Air Canada flights. Check-in staff in London extremely rude and abrupt. Check in counter system went down when trying to check in and was told by the staff that this happens every day at the same time, when all the Air Canada flights depart at the same time. Air Canada Lounge in London far too small for the number of flights all departing near enough at the same time. Boarding the plane in London, ticket system went down again and delayed everyone boarding. What has happened to Air Canada? Business class seat a vast improvement on their previous Boeing 777 version, but still not brilliant. As an example of what Air Canada has become, the pre-dinner nuts were served in a tiny paper cup - the sort that you normally put ketchup into at fast food outlets. BA, Lufthansa, etc use fine china. Air Canada staff simply do not care.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLondon to Calgary via Kelowna

"it did not disappoint"

Verified Review | Beijing to Denver via Vancouver. When I was looking for round trips from Beijing to Denver and vice versa, this was one of the cheapest flights I came across, even cheaper than the US airlines, and it did not disappoint! With comfortable seats, a nice selection of the latest movies and TV shows, and decent airline food, I would pick this over airlines like United Airlines any day. Also, the plane did an amazing and efficient job at letting the passengers out the plane. The only complaints I had were rather minor, one being that whenever the crew announced something, they would do it in 3 different languages, meaning you had to wait 3 times as long for your movie to play again, and also Canada's inefficient system of transferring layovers for people going to the US. Other than that, I recommend it.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBeijing to Denver via Vancouver
Date FlownJuly 2017

"connecting flight was canceled"

(South Korea)

Verified Review | Toronto to Detroit. After a red eye from Calgary to Toronto, the connecting flight to Detroit orginially scheduled for 8:50 AM was canceled. I was told to go to the Air Canada service desk where, understandably, at 5:30 in the morning, they were understaffed. When I was sent to another desk and finally helped, I had been rebooked for a flight to Detroit two days later. Thankfully the worker continued to check and found a 5 PM flight on the same day. I was given $20 in vouchers (which I now know over a 12 hour time span can be spent very quickly). When it was time to leave, there was an announcement made that our flight attendant could not be found and therefore we did not know our new time of departure. It was discovered later that she had gone through the wrong side in customs and the flight crew had to go through customs again; the wait was about an hour before we were seated on the plane. We then had to fish out a bag from the hold, wait to taxi for 15 minutes, and the icing on the cake was a wheel broken off of my new suitcase. The staff were patient and kind but I hope to not fly Air Canada again if I can help it.
AircraftCRJ-Canadair Regional Jet
RouteToronto to Detroit
Date FlownJuly 2017

"enjoyed the service in premium economy"

Verified Review | Our flight from Copenhagen to Toronto left and arrived on time. My wife and I enjoyed the service in the premium economy cabin which consists of only three rows. The premium economy class entitles one to priority boarding and baggage. First meal served was very good but the second consisting of a nondescript wrap should not have been offered. Overall a good experience. AC also provided very obliging service when we needed to change our connecting flight to Calgary. Although a word of caution - AC agent in Copenhagen informed us that we could not check our luggage through only to Toronto and the first question we were asked by AC personnel was whether we had only checked the bags through to YYZ. They said that in Canada so-called "short checking" was no problem, while no less than two check-in agent in Copenhagen told us that this was impossible. AC really needs to address this confusion regarding baggage rules which seems to be quite common.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteCopenhagen to Toronto

"flight attendants excellent"

Verified Review | Air Canada flight from Calgary to London left and arrived on time. Service by flight attendants excellent. Food was very good. AC provides good service on its international routes. This is an evening flight and the lie flat seats are comfortable and allow one to sleep for a number of hours.
RouteCalgary to London
Date FlownJune 2017

"staff wasn't really concerned"

Verified Review | The flight was delayed by a couple of hours making my connection flight to Vancouver hard to get. To make up for the trip interruption Air Canada gave me a $10 food voucher - 10 dollars? That's not good service or showing empathy but shows how cheap the service can be and the staff wasn't really concerned. I am already on an extremely long flight (Bangalore to Vancouver via Frankfurt and Montreal) the next flight I have is 4 hours delayed and 10 dollars is how they show they are concerned. Nice try Air Canada. I wish you would have provided better service.
RouteFrankfurt to Vancouver via Montreal
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the service was fantastic"

Verified Review | I'm rating only the first lap, from Tel Aviv to Toronto. The plane was a new Boeing 787. Fantastic flight, plane was extremely comfortable in Business, auto-dark windows were a kick and also very helpful. Movies and music extensive and very well organized. The food was so-so, but the service was fantastic.
RouteTel Aviv to Los Angeles via Toronto