Air Canada

Review by (United Kingdom) 29th June 2015

My first time with Air Canada. Refitted Boeing 777 with 3-4-3 layout. Fine as I had a seat empty next to me but it would be squashed when full. I had a 3-3-3 layout on the way home and was glad of the extra space. Flight was fine - slightly un-engaging and sloppy staff (one spilt water over me and didn't even notice). Food was awful though - low quality and very little of it. The Kosher meals served around me though looked huge and tasty! I'd say BA Economy is a better bet overall.
RouteLondon Heathrow to Toronto via Montreal

Review by (Canada) 28th June 2015

Vancouver to Toronto. Checked in 2 pieces of luggage at 25.00/piece. I don't mind the user fee but the carry on luggage was extreme. The flight was full. Carry on's excessive and large. The option to have carry on's stowed while waiting at the gate was unfair to those who had to pay to stow luggage. It was obvious that most of the carry on did not meet the regulations. Way too much luggage brought onto cabin. Very time consuming waiting for people to find a place to store luggage. The flight was uncomfortable. Seats are not large enough for most people to sit comfortably. Nothing complimentary offered other than water, other food and beverages to purchase. On a 5 hour flight I think free juice/coffee should be offered.
RouteAnchorage to Toronto via Vancouver

Review by (Canada) 26th June 2015

I've flown transatlantic on Air Canada twice this year, both less then ideal experiences. For my flight from Calgary to Munich there was a promotion to check ski bags for free for flights to Europe. Upon arriving at the airport, I was told I would have to pay $100 because by bag was over 50lbs and the promotion only applied to those under this weight. Once I got my boarding pass, I found that I was not seated in the window seat that I had previously booked. This was also the case for my flight from Toronto to Munich, as I had booked beside my friend flying from another city for that flight and we were at opposite ends of the plane. Then we sat at the gate in Calgary for over an hour once boarding was completed with no reasonable explanation for the delay - thankfully I had a 5 hour layover. I am a loyal customer to Air Canada and Star Alliance and I choose to fly with them above other airlines, but experiences like this that make me question my loyalty.
RouteCalgary to Munich via Toronto

Review by (Canada) 24th June 2015

Flight was delayed at time of boarding for 45 minutes of maintenance. Was delayed leaving the gate for half an hour because no available ground crew. Once in Montreal, baggage delivery took forty-five minutes. Two later arriving planes got their luggage first. What should have been a one hour forty five minute trip ended up taking four hours.
RouteToronto to Montreal

Review by (Canada) 22nd June 2015

YYZ to ZRH on Boeing 787 in economy with my wife and infant. Check in staff in Toronto very helpful and the line moved quickly. Boarding and flight departure on time. I am 6'4" and flying economy I was worried about leg room as I was unable to reserve a preferred seat. Air Canada Boeing 787 cabin was clean and felt open with the lighting and larger windows. I was surprised at the amount of leg room there was in an economy seat, as so many people have stated it was poor. My knees did touch the seat in front of myself however I was able to extend them under the seat with no problem. My wife being much shorter had plenty of room. I would suggest when travelling with an infant to take advantage of the bassinet seat as we did on the return flight. The seats are slightly narrow. The inflight entertainent was great having your own personal screen to watch numerous movies and TV shows. The only issue with these is that there is a "remote" control located on the arm rests. The buttons are usually pressed by the person sitting beside you which will cause your seat light and functions on the entertainment screen to be activated (sucks when watching a movies and volume keeps going up and down). The flight attendants were very friendly and helpful and service with a smile. Our first flight they even attempted to have people give up the bassinet seat to allow us to sit there. We had a great expirence flying with AC and will use them again in the future for sure. And on a side note the pasta served for the meal is much better than the chicken.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteToronto to Zurich

Review by (Canada) 21st June 2015

I recently traveled YWG-LHR and returned home from EDI-YWG with AC Rouge. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with how well the trip went in both directions. Outbound flight was delayed about 2 hours due to maintenance, staff kept us updated and were very pleasant. After the aircraft couldn't be fixed they quickly changed to a spare Boeing 777 in YYZ and got us going as quick as they could. Meals on board were not bad, only suggestion would be the continental breakfast could be improved. Seats were comfortable and service was good even though a full flight. Returned on Air Canada Rouge in Premium, seat was adequate, food was good but flight attendants need more training and need to act more professional. Priority bag was first off the carousel and connection was perfect, flights on time no complaints.
RouteYWG-LHR via YYZ

Review by (Hong Kong) 19th June 2015

Check in was chaotic due to bag drop desks being used for full check in. Baggage once tagged had to go to a separate area to be weighed thus taking the staff away from their desk. By the time we got through security the flight had boarded but there were a number of stragglers who boarded after us and delayed the flight. Seating in row 20 was good for a long haul flight with AVOD which was a step up from Air Canada rouge and the options were reasonably up to date with a decent choice. Toilets were also a good size. Service was fine but food was a disgrace - it was described to me as the Asian option, presumably because it was served with rice. The second meal was no better, inbetween these meals was a large sandwich stuffed full of chicken, the odd water run now and then. Does not compare favourably with the competition on this route, even Air Canada rouge via Osaka is a better option.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteVancouver to Hong Kong

Review by (Netherlands) 16th June 2015

Last Friday I had a flight from Calgary to London Heathrow. My 9hr flight turned out as the worst flight I have had. After flying with British Airways for years now I decided to try Air Canada, but I won't again. The service and food were bad and a lot of screens and/or earphone plugs aren't working. As an single traveller, 6"4, it's not the most comfortable way of traveling. When I came on board and saw where I was seated this man asked me to change places with his wife so they could sit together. That is no problem for me, I'm pretty flexible so I helped them out. Now I sat in the middle block, had 2 seats next to me that were free. So giving up my seat wasn't a bad decision at all. I figured I could sleep well when I moved one seat up. 15mins in, the stewardess comes to me and asks me friendly if I could change seats with an older couple. I decided to give up my seat again for these people. The stewardess promised me that the seats there were as good as this one I was sitting in, except the one screen wasn't working where the man sat. We switched places and then I found out that my headphones were not working properly. Only my right earphone worked. Since the other screen wasn't working I was stuck. A little annoyed I got out of my seat again and walked up to the flight attendant who asked me to change seats. All she offered was the headphones they provide onboard, she said she would come to me in a minute. After almost an hour of waiting I had to go back to her. I ended up with some cheese and crackers, grapes and a cup of peanuts, one headphone working and a terrible feeling for letting me change my seat for other people. Besides all that the food was not good at all. From the dinner plate I got, I only ate the brownie.
RouteCalgary to London Heathrow

Review by (Canada) 16th June 2015

Flew from Vancouver YVR to Sydney NS YQY via Montreal YUL and Halifax YHZ. First segment from YVR to YUL was an overnight flight on an A320. Received help from YVR ground crew since this was my first air travel in Canada. The flight took off and landed on time. Cabin crew on board was good at communication and drinks were served. However no meal was served for a 5-hr flight, which was to my surprise (and then I knew that AC simply does not do that on domestic flights no matter short-haul or long-haul). En-route entertainment system was a nice touch and there were programmes for different ages and culture. Seat was not an issue since I was seated in an exit row. Second segment from YUL to YHZ was on an E190, which was one of the most comfortable single-aisle aircraft in my opinion. Had entertainment system as well. Also, only drinks were served. This time I was seated in a normal row and the seat pitch was just enough to accomodate myself (6'2" and 240lbs). Third segment was also a short one from YHZ to YQY, operated by Jazz on a 30 years old DeHavilland DHC8-100 (Dash8) turboprop. Cabin attendant was friendly and served drinks and snacks. Seat pitch was even tighter this time but since the seat cushion was shortened, there was still enough room to seat myself. Overall my first travel with AC was satisfying, but next time I'll make sure I'm not hungry before boarding.
AircraftA320-214, E190-100, DHC8-100
RouteYVR to YQY via YUL, YHZ

Review by (Canada) 16th June 2015

We flew Ottawa-Toronto-San Francisco and returned Los Angeles-Toronto-Ottawa, business class on all trips. The flights to and from Toronto to Ottawa were uneventful. The food served was a fruit plate. The flight to San Francisco was OK except for the fact that by the time that the FA got to be he said that he was all out of meat, fish, and chicken and the only thing he had left was pasta. I am on a low carb diet so I ate very little. In fact, he told me that I should eat salad. On the flight from Los Angeles, there were sufficient meals so that I had my choice. The FA here was very pleasant and accommodating. In general, Air Canada business class for North America is nothing special with seats that do not provide a lot more room than economy and the food is only the middle of the road. I question the economic worthiness of the North American business class.
RouteOttawa to San Francisco via Toronto