Air Canada

"incompetent, disinterested and unhelpful"

Review by (United Kingdom)

I have never experienced such a diabolical level of customer service. Incompetent, disinterested and unhelpful staff. Having been delayed by 7 hours due to a technical fault resulting in missing a connecting flight we were met by unhelpful AC staff who informed us that we would have to sort our own connecting flight out as she had already worked too many extra hours this week and was going home. We were then asked to make our way to a hotel for the night only to be told by the hotel when we got there that they didn't have enough rooms. This all happened at 2.30 in the morning at 6am we finally got to another hotel. The appalling service doesn't end there. I appreciate flights can be delayed but I expect a better level of care especially from an airline who states their vision is "to make every customer feel valued". I will never travel with Air Canada again.
RouteLas Vegas to Manchester UK via Toronto

Review by (Canada)

I recently flew from London to Edmonton. It was a 9 hour flight and for the most part alright. The crew was very nice and helpful. When I boarded the plane, the flight attendant took one look at my Lebanese passport and spoke to me in fluent Arabic! It was quite the lovely surprise,and great to know they cater to more then just Canada's national languages. The macaroni cheese I ate was on the low end, I would rate it a 4/10. The movie selection was alright, but the music choices were poor. Free headphones, free snacks anytime you asked, with good coffee. The seats were a little cramped.
RouteLondon to Edmonton

Air Canada customer review

Review by (United States)

I recently flew from Fort Lauderdale-Brussels via Montreal. The flight from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal was good, but I was a bit disappointed from Montreal to Brussels. On the way back, however, they sure redeemed themselves. Flight from Brussels to Montreal was superb, with yummy pasta and great IFE. Connection was ok, than the flight back to Florida was good.
AircraftA330-300
RouteFLL to BRU via YUL

Review by (Canada)

The cabin crew were disinterested and slow. They act and like they are doing a special favour for you by pouring you a drink or even getting you some napkins. Blankets and headsets weren't offered but sold to you. You either bring your own (which takes up space), buy theirs, or freeze without being able to hear the movie. Comfort levels will decrease and the flight attendants won't be able to help much. A flight attendant told me that they cannot help me lift my luggage into the high luggage compartment. Any person complaining about any slight discomfort with reason were rudely put on the spot (the lights were broken and couldn't be turned off for one of the passengers so the passenger had to ask about it or else he couldn't nap. The flight attendant only tried their minimum best to help by taping the lights and then left him alone. The taped lights continued to fall off but the flight attendants just ignored him and responded only if the passenger actively tried to complain again. The flight attendant just tossed my napkins down on the table and left without a reply. I found it quite rude and impolite. The seats were new but poorly designed. The buttons for the remote were built onto the armrest of the passengers. It looks simple and basic but it was terribly uncomfortable for the passengers. Thus, many times the service button was accidentally pressed causing the flight attendants to become annoyed at us even though it was an accident. The lights, service, or volume buttons would accidentally turn on whenever I try to rest my arms on the armrest. A suggestion may be to add a cover for the buttons so that these small inconveniences can be avoided in the future. Sadly, I bet this will not be implemented anytime soon as this review will be ignored and forgotten.
RouteVancouver to Toronto

Review by (Canada)

Using MEX T1 is not always pleasant as it is crowded and small. Check in agents were friendly, but when I asked if there were late upgrades available, they said that business class was full. This turned out to be false, as there were two seats available. Boarding started late, but was done in an organized way. Once on board we were greeted by some very friendly Montreal-based crew members. The two francophone flight attendants were very friendly in a not-fake way as opposed to the overcompensated service that can be found on some airlines, the anglophone flight attendant looked a bit surly and was not friendly, but she did her job fine and was polite. It is a bit of a shame that food is the typical American "buy-on-board" selection. The options available were similar to any café food (sandwiches and wraps) served on a napkin along with other unfortunate junky choices. All non-alcoholic drinks were free of charge. (TIP: It is worth it to pay $7 when booking online, this will allow you to choose a main dish and a snack from the menu at no extra cost. Bear in mind that these items will be more expensive on board and that you will need to be carrying a credit card). The airplane was in great conditions in spite of its age. In flight entertainment was the standard personal video, but choices were not very enticing. Arrival was done in a very organized manner, and crew made sure that passengers with tight connections left the plane first, which is very considerate. Overall, Air Canada offers a very good solid and consistent service by its human capital, it is always nice flying with them.
RouteMEX to YUL

Review by (Canada)

Air Canada's new 787 Business Class turned out to be a definite improvement over all its other "pod" aircraft. The suites have lots of room,huge TV screen,massage function, and really private which is nice if flying alone. The service was great and my only beef is the hot meals could use an upgrade as well. I fly business class all the time with Air Canada and the meals don't ever seem to change. All in all I am really pleased with Air Canada business class and especially the new 787 service. I am the same guy who gave Air Rouge bottom marks so I felt when an airline does a good job it deserves mention as well. I can't wait for my next 787 flight which is coming up next month.
RouteYVR to YYZ

Review by (Canada)

I have no idea how Air Canada rates as one of the best airlines in North America. We flew business class and my head phones didn't work. They offered me some sort of points. But the real problem was my luggage tagged, "priority", came off last. I waited 45 minutes while all the luggage was unloaded and my ride home drove endlessly around the airport. Last luggage down on the carousel. I tried to contact them today on their "chat line" and no one seems to be working there as I waited 30 minutes without anyone answering. Air Canada, living up to what ought to be their motto, "We're not happy unless you're not happy"
RouteToronto to Vancouver

Review by (Canada)

The only thing I can conclude after numerous flights with AC over the years is that in terms of their international economy they're no longer trying to make it pleasant. I had an okay seat, 31K, at a bulkhead, with no window unfortunately. There's a jump seat there for crew, but the staff member simply asked me if I knew how to open the door in the event of an emergency, then told me not to open the door if it were underwater, and then walked away to join her friends at the rear. The food choices were awful. There was no drink service until dinner, and that was rather late as we were waiting for connecting passengers who never showed up, and whose luggage had to be offloaded. I put on a sleeping mask I'd brought along, and put a blanket over my head, and slept for nearly the entire flight, as the catering was so basic. I could just as well have bought a $2.99 frozen pasta at a grocery and have had it heated, such was the dinner service. Also, the IFE, especially the map, still does not work in the economy cabins. The FA said she'd reset my unit, which I doubt she did. I've seen numerous complaints about this. How hard is it to rectify this?
RouteYYZ to LHR

Review by (Canada)

What a difference a cabin makes. I flew back to YYZ from LHR on 20 August. I learned the flight was full, and as I was in economy in a seat with no window (31K) I asked if there were any other economy seats that had a window. I was only offered the middle of the middle section, which I declined. I then asked if my Aeroplan miles would be of any use, but was told there were people with higher status on the flight. It doesn't hurt to ask, and it certainly helps to ask nicely, and to be decently dressed. I had a brief chat with ground staff, who were not in AC uniforms. Moments later, one of the ground staff approached me with a huge smile on her face, and a boarding card in her hand. I was taken up front to executive first, seat 10D. I've flown this cabin before, and was really pleased about the upgrade. It didn't matter to me at all that I didn't have a window at my seat. Such a huge difference from economy. Crew really can't do enough for you in the premium cabin. There were bubbles for boarding, along with pretzels, due to an allergic pax near me. I went up to the galley after takeoff to enjoy a glass of decent (but not really good) champagne, and some hot nuts. I then returned to my seat for meal service. There was middling champagne, but excellent reds and whites served with lunch. I had a seafood appetizer which was good, but which was not presented very attractively. Then I had a main of mushroom and herb-crusted lamb with red currant jus. I had this on a flight a few years ago out of CPH, and it was as good as I remembered, cooked rare. The CSA worked my side of the cabin, and he was attentive and friendly. The meal was filling, and so I skipped the cheese, and had ice cream and a cognac, and settled in for a sleep on my way back to Toronto. There was a snack service before landing, but the sandwiches, though wrapped, were really stale. The interesting thing is that the IFE's map feature does work in Business Class, but doesn't in economy: why is that? A pleasure to ride up front, but a drastic difference from down the back with economy pax. Again, I'll suggest that AC can do a lot to make their economy experience better: after all, tickets are about 1400$C for this trip in high season.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteLHR to YYZ

Air Canada customer review

Review by (United States)

Two days ago I flew with Air Canada on my way back to the US from Vietnam. I flew in a B777-300ER. The flight was okay with on-time departure and arrival. The service was not okay, it was of a cheap quality. The food served was horrible and the meal was poorly prepared. They gave us the food as if they were throwing it on to the tray table. Both of my kids could not finish the meal which is unusual. This is a long haul flight and 3 meals were served. One hot meal with very little food. The light meal was a cup of ramen noodle. Then the breakfast was another poorly prepared meal. The entertainment options were very limited. Overall, I am very disappointed and would not choose to flight with them in the future.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 ER