Vote Now

Air Canada

"flight seats had been oversold"

Verified Review | Montreal to Vancouver. We arrived at the airport with lots of time to spare prior to our flight. One of the check in ladies helped us get our bags sorted and accepted. We paid to check our bags in for Vancouver on that flight checking in a small suitcase and a larger one. She printed us boarding passes and bag tags and explained that our seat allocations would be made at the gate. We arrived at the gate with lots of time to spare and waited. The staff there announced that they thought there was insufficient space on the plane to take all of the passengers carry on luggage and started to request that passengers voluntarily check their carry on luggage in. They also started to circulate around the passengers and tried to ‘talk’ anyone with largish carry on bags or multiple luggage items to check them in. They then announced that the flight seats had been oversold and that they wanted ‘volunteers’ to take a later flight. Then we were told that they would call out names for final seat allocations. I heard a name that started with the same letter as ours and approached the counter to personally enquire if it was in fact for our seat allocation. The Air Canada staff were all looking distressed and under pressure at this stage. I was told that it wasn’t my name but the lady took our ‘boarding passes’ and said that our tickets were only standby tickets. I noticed that the copy which she kept, with no seat allocation printed on it actually had ‘sb’ in very small letters where the seat number would normally be printed which meant nothing to me up until that very moment. She said she would check and call out my name in due course with seat allocations. After another 10 or 15 minutes and a number of other customers being issued boarding passes, she called my name and started speaking. I explained I was an international traveller and had to get back to Vancouver on that flight. I told her I had bought and paid for my tickets weeks earlier and as far as I was concerned, I was contractually entitled to travel on that flight. We did get onto the flight, probably because I had been so insistent. When we arrived at Vancouver, after the 5 hour flight plus a lengthy wait at the carousel, our smaller case finally came onto the conveyor. I checked with the lost baggage staff, again having to wait for some time in a queue. They were good and advised that my other bag had been routed on a flight to Toronto and would arrive later that night. They would then deliver it to my Vancouver address the next morning. It arrived at about 1430 hours the next day and it looked as though it had been dragged through muddy water. It was filthy. And the luggage tag on it was tagged ‘standby’ as well. I will get the case cleaned now that we are home.
RouteMontreal to Vancouver
Date FlownDecember 2016

"flying experience was average"

Verified Review | London to Pearson by Air Canada: Boarding had started on-time, I stepped on-board and was not greeted by any crew member. I walked to my seat which was 30G. I sat down and right away noticed that the seat was quite narrow, however my table was in my arm rest, so that gave me even less space then everyone else. We were then delayed because of 'engine problems.' We then departed about 20 mins late. About an hour after we took off they served us our lunch which was quite good and I have to say I did enjoy it. For the rest of the flight I listened to music on my phone, and watched some interesting TV-shows. Then as the flight came to an end we were served a sausage wrap, which was spicy but also enjoyable. We arrived in Toronto 10 mins early and I have to say that the overall flying experience was average.
RouteLondon to Toronto Pearson

"crew were attentive"

Verified Review | Flight to Vancouver on time as was the Vancouver to Victoria. Crew were attentive. Food selection is nothing to write home about. Offered to check my carry on at no charge as flights were full and the size of carry on's that they allow on board is ridiculous so I did. Flight from Toronto to Ottawa was delayed about 45 minutes due to late arrival of aircraft. Hung out in the Maple leaf Lounge. Food hasn't improved, still just salads and Mac and cheese. Upon arrival in Ottawa the carry on that they checked for free didn't arrive, I have a Tile device attached and could see that it was still in Toronto so with the wait at the missing bag desk added about an hour to process. Bag arrive by courier at my home which is about 100km from Ottawa at noon the following day.
AircraftQ400, A320, Boeing 767
RouteVictoria to Ottawa via YVR and YYZ
Date FlownMarch 2017

"horrible customer service experience"

(Bahamas)

Verified Review | Horrible customer service experience. I am scheduled to travel via Air Canada at the beginning of next month for business. I was recently advised that the date of my flight changed from April 3rd to April 4th. I called the Air Canada offices and wasn't provided with any viable alternatives (leave a day earlier to arrive two days later or refund my ticket). Not one incentive was offered because of this inconvenience. I have never traveled on an airline that doesn't provide travel incentives when there are changes of this magnitude. I will never travel on Air Canada again. Appalling service!
RouteNassau Bahamas to Toronto Canada
Date FlownMarch 2017

"staff was extremely rude"

Verified Review | Toronto to Miami. At the self baggage check in, the staff was extremely rude. She made me feel so dumb just because we asked how to place the sticker on the luggage. She then just ignored us and didn't care. I hate travelling with Air Canada and will never again. It's not like I'm getting a better price from AC.
RouteToronto to Miami
Date FlownMarch 2017

"Seats were comfortable on both flights"

Verified Review | Traveled to Winnipeg to Ottawa 06 Mar 17 and return 11 Mar 17. Check in at both airports was a breeze and ground staff were friendly and efficient. Both flights departed approx. 30 minutes late and arrived approx. 30 minutes late. Seats were comfortable on both flights, and had no issues with the entertainment system. Didn't have to wait long for flight attendants to come around with drinks, and o both flights flight attendants were friendly. Baggage arrived promptly at both airports. Overall, had a good flight on both departure and return and would definitely recommend this airline for short-haul flights.
AircraftCRJ 705
RouteWinnipeg to Ottawa
Date FlownMarch 2017

"no TV, no food for a 6 hour flight"

Verified Review | Flew Air Canada from Montreal to San Jose. We were so disappointed to see that the experience for the travellers is the least of Air Canada's concerns. No TV, no food for a 6 hour flight seems unreasonable. The time allowed to transfer from one flight to another is far too short and we got no assistance whatsoever even though we were travelling with kids. Overall very poor. We won't travel with Air Canada Rouge ever again.
RouteMontreal to San Jose
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"modern aircraft and good legroom"

(Spain)

Verified Review | I flew Air Canada from Madrid to Los Angeles via Toronto. The flight was great, good food, modern aircraft and good legroom. My first language is Spanish and some stewardesses could speak Spanish and this made my trip more comfortable. The flights were on time and it was a nice experience. I recommend Air Canada!
RouteMadrid to Los Angeles via Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2016

"disappointed in Air Canada"

Verified Review | Puerto Vallarta to Kelowna via Vancouver. Flight to Puerto Vallarta was good, staff awesome and service was prompt. Unfortunately on the way home I can't say the same. We checked in early and selected our seats to ensure a window and isle seat and to avoid the long lines at the airport waiting for check in. Once we arrived at the airport we waited 3rd in line for over an hour watching everyone who was checking in at the airport go through infront of us due to a computer issue. Then we were told that the flight was full and we had to sit in the middle despite checking in 24 hours before. Once in the plane the AC unit went down and we sat on the runway inside the boiling hot plan for an hour while crews scrambled to fix the issue. So we take off and I'm excited to get water after waiting in a hot plane for an hour only to wait 3 hours into the 5.5 hour flight to even speak to a flight attendant. When I asked why things were so slow they scoffed at me and blamed the airline for cutting down from 7-6 flight attendants for this flight. Now I understand this can be stressful for them and create more work, but where I'm confused is how come on the way down with 6 flight attendants I received awesome service and water and coffee several times? I wish it could stop there but unfortunately it doesn't, we had to catch a connecting flight wich was overbooked, and we were asked if anyone would like to stay behind in Vancouver, only to find out it was so two Air Canada employees could fly home. Once our connecting flight to Kelowna landed at 12am our little plane of 30 had to sit on the runway for an hour while the other 2 international planes of over 150 passengers unloaded. Super disappointed in Air Canada and will definitely choose WestJet when flying next time. I'll Avoid Air Canada at all costs.
RoutePuerto Vallarta to Kelowna
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"very enjoyable 8 hr flight"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Calgary. I had a very enjoyable 8 hr flight with Air Canada in economy! Service was excellent. Flight attendants went out of their way to make sure you had plenty of refreshments and plenty of water. In flight entertainment was 1st class showing all the latest films. Seats were comfortable. No delays. I was served a hot meal with drinks of my choice not long after take off and also a hot snack about an hour before landing. Two weeks later on 18th December I flew back to the UK with Air Canada and again excellent service. Only criticism it is a shame they do not offer different films flying east to west/west to east as some other airlines do. Otherwise no complaints
RouteLondon to Calgary