Air Botswana

Review by (South Africa) 28th September 2014

CPT-GBE GBE-JNB. First flight a clean Bae146 in very good condition half empty with loads of leg room. Food excellent for an airline and service find. Second flight on an equally clean ATR72 with equally good snacks. All flights on time. Much prefer them to SAX or Airlink!

Review by (United States) 17th September 2014

I will never fly Air Botswana again. Warning to anyone who is considering flying with them: if you expect even mediocre customer service do yourself a favor and stay away. We were supposed to fly from Maun with Air Botswana to land in Johannesburg landing at 4 pm with a full four hours to spare before our long haul flight back to the US via Delta. When we arrived at the Maun airport chaos had ensued. What appeared to be a huge tour group had the spotlight and despite reaching the front of the line to check in we were completely ignored as the attendants told us they needed to tend to others first. Service was exorbitantly slow as there were only 2 attendants who were hand writing boarding passes. After an hour of waiting we were told the flight was oversold and we would not be getting on. We’re convinced that although we had booked our flights 6 months earlier we were bumped along with about 20 others from the flight in favor of the tour group. You can imagine the hysteria as the majority of the 20 had connecting flights in Johannesburg. The attendants assured us that we would get on another plane that was routed to Cape Town but would first stop in Johannesburg to drop us off by 6 pm. We found this odd but at that point had no other choice. It was only after we boarded the plane that we discovered we were instead going to Gaborone and from there another plane would take us to Johannesburg immediately. When we reached Gaborone the Air Botswana rep was extremely confused why we had arrived and told us we had been lied to and would have to wait another 1.5 hours to take off. Not surprisingly the flight was further delayed so we finally arrived in Jo'burg at 8.30 minutes after our second leg to Atlanta took off. We were extremely upset but told we’d be waitlisted for the next Delta flight out - which unfortunately was not for a full 24 hours. The real kicker? We were told you owe us $650 USD. Still can’t quite comprehend how they had the gall to say this to our faces but at this point nothing surprised us. No reps from either Air Botswana or Delta were available to give us a definitive answer on whether we’d be guaranteed to be on the flight so off we went to a local hotel in hopes of returning the next day to get everything straightened out. The people who work for this airline not only have the poorest customer service skills I have ever witnessed. When we arrived on day 2 to try to check in to Delta we were told we only had a 50/50 shot of getting on the plane. There is one flight per day and subsequent flights were all booked solid. We were beginning to think this nightmare might continue on for days and days. Surely there had to be a carrier going to any city in the US that could accommodate us. There was. Two in fact. However Air Botswana would need to book it for us – and they flat out refused. We were only able to get on the Delta flight thanks to their management; the Air Botswana rep was never to be heard from again. I could not be more appalled at the way Air Botswana operates.

Review by (Australia) 15th July 2014

Fantastic Service. Booked from Australia for Jo'burg to Maun flight. Kept great communications for any changes and even transferred me on a SA flight no extra charge for my Kasane-Jo'burg leg when I explained about connection time with my Qantas flight due to schedule changes without having to be asked and emailed me back a new booking. Great service nice snack on a short leg clean modern plane on time friendly ground staff. I hear things might have been different a few years back but certainly my experience was very good and would fly with them again.

Review by (Botswana) 24th September 2013

Francistown - Johannesburg 16 September. Good short flight efficiently run with good crew. On time and no problems.

Review by (France) 1st September 2013

In August Johannesburg to Maun and Kisane to Johannesburg. Both flights were spot on time. Service on board was fine with drinks and light snacks served for the roughly 2 hour flight in each direction. Aircraft's were in good shape and the seats comfortable for this type of trip. Check-in in Jo'burg was easy and very quick. Check- in in Kisane was a breeze as the airport is tiny. All in a good experience and a great way to enhance your Botswana experience.

Review by (France) 8th January 2013

Like Eric said I don't understand the bad reviews. I have flown the Maun-JNB flight many times and everything has been great. Never had any delays. The last comments are from 2011 and 2010 and now I think they have a brand new fleet. My flight was nice - not the best aircraft.

Review by (United Kingdom) 13th May 2012

We flew Maun-Johannesburg. Despite the reviews here I was pleasantly surprised. The plane looked new and the leather seats were comfortable. The 2 cabin crew were ok. The plane left on time and landed on time 2 hrs later.

Review by (United States) 23rd June 2011

Maun-Johannesburg. Short 90 min flight on what appeared to be newer BAE 146. Interior had nice leather seats and the legroom seemed quite good for economy. The flight attendants seemed indifferent (almost as they were being bothered) as they just plodded through the flight. The only problem with the flight was the hot cabin. I had to ask the flight attendant twice before the temperature was lowered to less than an inferno. Apparently on the BAE 146 the cockpit controls the cabin temperature - not the cabin crew.

Review by (Spain) 13th December 2010

Air Botswana to and from Johannesburg and Maun. The staff were friendly and outward journey JNB-Main was fine. The return journey was chaos! To start with the check-in at Maun airport was chaotic. The lounge was completely full of passengers trying to check in. Air Botswana had chartered another aircraft and upon boarding some passengers had no seats so they were told that they would have to catch the next flight. Once aboard they told us that the aircraft couldn't take our bags and that they would be in JNB on the next flight (apparently 2 hours later). I was connecting with a flight to Europe and if I had known that earlier I could have labelled my bag accordingly and I might have tried to check my bag through the whole way. I felt sorry for the staff as they were polite and tried hard to appease the passengers. They couldn't take the bags for safety reasons which is fair enough. The problem was that they knew this before we boarded the aircraft and chose to tell us once we were aboard. We flew via Gabarone to refuel. Then in Johannesburg a representative met us at the luggage carousel and told us that our bags would arrive tomorrow! At least he was there when our flight arrived and not when the supposed next flight was meant to arrive 2 hours later. However that was a bit of a shock for some of the passengers as Air Botswana must have known this in Maun. He took down all our details and where we wanted our bags sent if we weren't staying in Johannesburg. I honestly didn't expect to see my bag again. Three days later at home in Spain an Air Botswana rep phones me and asks me which airport in Spain I want my bag sent to! Zaragoza is 1.5 hours drive away and the nearest airport. My bag arrived there 2 days later. If any other airline flew between Main and Johannesburg I would try them. I think Air Botswana needs some competition!

Review by (South Africa) 21st November 2010

Maun to Jo'burg. Got on plane and when arrived in Jo'burg our luggage did not. No ones did. Found out afterwards that if it is hotter than 40C they will not take luggage if plane is full. Wish someone would have informed us. We didn't get our luggage back until Zanzibar 2 days later and many frustrating moments in between. Tired plane needs an overhaul or the insides redone. They had a quick stop (which was not on the itinerary or the ticket) in Gabone. It was to turn staff over or something but couldn't get off plane and the 10 minutes turned into 40 without AC doors opened and +40C.