Top 100 Airlines

Aeromexico

"the worst experience "

Verified Review | The worst experience with an airline we have ever had! Booked a flight for a vacation to Cancun from SFO departing on 4/29, 11pm. The flight had a layover in Mexico City, then arrive in Cancun 10am 4/30. Needless to say, that didn't happen. Our flight was delayed 45 min, boarded the plane and sat in the plane for another 45min, only to be informed to disembark due to an issue with the plane's cargo door. The time was 12:30-1:00am. We're told that they would inform us every 20min what was happening. We had to inquire ourselves. After another 2hrs, (3:15am), we're informed that our flight was cancelled and we needed retrieve our luggage and await for instructions. All 128 or so passengers waited for the luggage another 45min! (Understanding that at this point, there is only a skeleton crew working at the airport!) Once everyone retrieved luggage, we're told to go to the Aeromexico ticket counter so everyone could be assigned new tickets. We all stood in line for more than an hr without a single movement of the line because there are only 3 windows with three staff members working to help every single passenger! After 1 hour, we hear a person shout out, "Anyone going to Cancun, please head to the Delta ticket counter and they would assist us there". So everyone going on to Cancun are running to the Delta ticket counter with all of our luggage. We had been at the airport for more than 11hrs now. Once at the Delta ticket counter, got in line (now there are people in line checking in for Delta flights) so the line is long. My husband asks one of the Delta agents and they told us we're in the wrong line and needed to move to the "special services" line. So again, moved to this line and waited another 45min before getting to the counter. There was a Delta flight going to Cancun at 7:00am but by this time, too late for this flight. The person assisting us did not know what was going on at all! They booked us on the next flight to Cancun which departed at 8:00am. While we were at the ticket counter, another person who was also being helped, requested a direct flight to Cancun, which they accommodated and it was not even a Delta flight, it was thru United. When we asked if we could do the same, the person told us that he could do this. The tickets he assigned us was all that we could get. We realize what had happened to us was not his fault but he could have assisted us as much as possible. We get to Cancun at 6:30pm and lost a day of our vacation. No apologies, no vouchers, no refunds. The day before we leave Cancun, we try to checkin and it prompts us that we need to contact Aeromexico. Called and we're informed we have to check in at the airport. Get to the airport 2.5hrs early, flight departs at 2pm, get to the counter only to be told, they can not find our etickets in the system. The person from Delta that assisted us, wiped out our return flight tickets. It took another 2hrs with a Delta supervisor helping to get us back in the system. We almost missed our flight.
RouteSFO to CUN via MEX
Date FlownApril 2016

"3 hours trying to get help"

Verified Review | I was flying Aeromexico from Tuxtla Gutierrez to Durango via Mexico City. The first flight was delayed and so I missed the connection. I spent 3 hours in the airport trying to get some help but the Aeromexico staff were sending me from one person to another and finally they told me I had to spend the night at Mexico City and that they won't pay any compensation because the delay was due to air traffic control of the airport. Since it's the case that Mexico City airport is always busy then they shoudn't have allowed for only 1hr between connected flights. As a serious airline company they should have local knowledge of the airports.
RouteTGZ to DRO via MEX
Date FlownMay 2016

"recommend avoiding Aeromexico"

Verified Review | On a recent trip with Aeromexico, I attempted to check in at the airport desk and was told that without proof of exit from my destination, I would not be allowed to check in and board my flight. As I was under time constraints to check in and board my flight, I was pressured by the clerk and the manager on duty to buy a ticket on the spot to show them. I was assured that the ticket I was buying was immediately and fully refundable and simply had to call them to cancel it when I arrived at my destination. I found out afterwards that this was all completely untrue and that I wasn't required to show the ticket desk anything of the sort. Regardless, I had done what they asked in good faith, assuming that at least their reassurance that I could get my money back quickly was true. (Side note: a fully refundable flight from Mexico City to Miami cost over $1400). I then called to cancel my flight and was assured that I would receive my reimbursement within 4-6 weeks. I spent the following two weeks requesting a written statement of this and finally received it by email. Three months later, I still have not received my reimbursement and have been paying interest on this large amount. Customer service has been non-communicative, taking weeks to respond to simple requests for follow up. The call centers refuse to answer questions relating to reimbursements or complaints. Recently, they even admitted in writing that the mistake was theirs due to a typo. Yet, still no reimbursement. I have never experienced such poor and unfair customer service. I recommend avoiding Aeromexico at all costs.
RouteMEX to MIA
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"avoid Aeromexico in future"

Flew Aeromexico to Managua from San Francisco and of 14 interactions with their clerks (check in, etc) I experienced issues 12 times. Several times the clerks smiled while I was walking them through my issues. Three of four flights we were bumped from the flight despite having a clear reservation and forced to take another flight. One of these bumps ended up forcing my girlfriend and I to stay in Mexico City (not my final destination) and robbing us of one day of a long awaited weeklong vacation. Honestly the people that work for the company don't care and you will feel it at every check in counter. With all of the interactions and issues I faced with Aeromexico I feel like I have enough data to say that 50-75% of the time they will screw up your reservation in one way or another. Its a gamble I will never take again and I'll be happy to pay 3 x the cost of another flight to avoid Aeromexico in the future. I saw these types of reviews before booking originally and wished I had paid more for my flight.
RouteSFO to MGA
Date FlownMay 2016

"unacceptable customer treatment"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Mexico City with Aeromexico - it's a cheap airline, but better avoid it not to ruin your trip. Absolutely unacceptable flight cancellation process and customer treatment. They kept us in the airport waiting for the flight status for 5 hours, every 20 minutes saying in another 20 minutes it will be done and we will depart. The result - from 11pm to 5am in the airport. Then 1.5h to receive luggage and a 3h line to get on another flight - a total of 9h in the airport overnight in lines and without food or water (in SFO it is all closed at night). It is not only ridiculous, but also inhuman to keep people waiting without food, drinks or any other service, especially those with small kids. Absolutely poor on-the-phone support and open lies from phone operators saying that the flight is not cancelled after it got officially cancelled. Getting the operators on the line, in turn, took 1 hour and another 1h in negotiations with high pressure from my side to get a replacing flight the same day. All in all, I got the feeling that Aeromexico openly does not care about its clients and is not willing to do anything to help in a situation of such a case. I've flown many airlines, and they are the worst I've seen so far. In a similar situation many other companies would give you coupon for the next flight, will provide food and drinks, send additional company staff to the airport, and keep transparent about what is happening. I lost my other flight because of their cancellation, and I had to book a new one. None of their managers showed willingness to help, they all just said it's not their business and denied talking about the options.
RouteSFO to MEX
Date FlownApril 2016

"will try to avoid this airline"

Dallas Fort Worth to Mexico City. Aeromexico tickets are cheap, and the flight itself was decent. The staff I dealt with in person was polite enough. The problem I have is with their customer service over the phone. My wife's green card was stolen 2 days before our flight was supposed to take off. The charge to move the flight back one day so we could get a temp I-551 in her passport was almost as much as the tickets themselves. Then the customer service rep tried to tell me on the phone that she didn't need her green card to board the flight when I tried to explain why we needed to try to move it. While he was right, we didn't need it for her to leave the US, we needed it for her to get back into the US, had I listened to him my wife would have been stranded in Mexico. That is the type of thing a customer service rep who deals with a lot of international travel should know. Then after about 20 minutes of talking to them I am told the fee can be waived but it cannot be done over the phone. I have to e-mail somebody and it takes 24-72 hours to hear back. My flight left in 48 hours. I understand that all airlines charge to change things, but their lack support (not having somebody with authority to help with costs I could speak with), their lack of knowledge (almost getting my wife stranded in Mexico) means I most likely will try to avoid this airline on return trips.
RouteDFW to MEX
Date FlownMarch 2016

"will never fly them again"

Chicago to Mexico City via Cancun. Terrible airline. The only nice thing is the tv monitors with free movies but they always interuppted with ads. Our flight out of Cancun took forever to get going and got really hot. No aircon. Staff said pilot wouldn't turn on so had more power for take off? Flight from Mexico City to Chicago was delayed over one hour. Sat at gate, no drinks given. Good thing sun was down otherwise we would have baked. Had a meal on the flight - a ham sandwich, but no mayo. Asked for a coke, staff didn't speak english and no ice in drink. They didn't pick up trash for over an hour. They never asked if anyone else wanted another drink. I will never fly them again.
RouteORD to MEX via CUN

"good seat pitch"

Efficient boarding in Paris CDG, good seat pitch, good food (ordererd asian vegetarian). During the flight, self service with fruits, sandwiches, cookies and soft drink. IFE old and not very updated. Seats old fashioned, but standard overall great experience.
RouteCDG to MEX
Date FlownMarch 2016

"offers very competitive fares"

Travelled last week from Puerto Vallarta to London via Mexico City. I reckon that Aeromexico offers one of the best levels of service in economy class on the North Atlantic on the Boeing 787, and legroom in economy in is quite generous. But what marks out this airline in my experiences, is the quality of the cabin crew. They are really smartly presented and friendly and attentive. The transfer process at the Aeromexico Terminal 2 at Mexico City has been streamlined and is hassle free. The airline also offers very competitive fares for an excellent product.
RoutePVR to LHR via MEX
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"great airline for long hauls"

(Panama)

Aeromexico from Panama City to Tokyo via Mexico City. A Boeing 787 for the long portion of the trip Mexico City to Tokyo, and I was very impressed with the airplane. I was only in economy class however I received a blanket, pillow, night blinders, toothbrush kit and a bottle of water - all waiting on my seat. Seats very comfortable and roomy. Climate controlled and less noise than older planes. Excellent food and all night snacks available at back of plane. Service great and attendants very friendly. I will state that I love to travel and I have been all over the world. I have flown economy and first class. This trip to Tokyo was a very pleasant experience. No complaints about Mexico City Airport and I had no problems at airport with a 6 hour layover. Those that complain should do their homework before booking. Always see what aircraft you are going to be flying on and check it out. No surprises that way. They will tell you the amenities such as entertainment, food service, size of seat, etc. A great airline for long hauls and I highly recommend them.
RoutePTY to NRT via MEX