Aeromexico

"horrible, unprofessional, incompetent"

Verified Review | Mexico City to New York JFK. I was shocked by the horrible, unprofessional, incompetent way that I was treated by Aeromexico during my recent flight. Their deception, misinformation and incompetence cost me 8,612 extra pesos! I should not have been treated this way. I arrived at the Mexico City airport in the early morning, hours before my flight. I checked in at Aeromexico's check-in desk. The clerk checked my printed ticket and my U.S. passport and confirmed them. I asked if there was anything else, and she said no, that I was good to go. She checked in my suitcase and gave me the receipt for my checked-in bag. Then I went to my gate and waited several hours until boarding. When boarding began, I stood in line and eventually reached the front of the line, expecting to be checked in and board the plane. The Aeromexico employee at the gate asked me for the stub from my Mexican immigration papers, which I signed upon entering the country. The Aeromexico clerk at the baggage check-in had said nothing about this stub when I asked if there was "anything else" I needed. When she indicated that there wasn't, I placed the stub into my suitcase, which she then checked in. The clerk at the gate told me not to worry, that all I'd need to do is go to the Immigration desk and sign another immigration stub. She told me to sign it, then come back to the gate — that I could then board at the gate with no problem. That turned out to be a lie — or at least, radical misinformation. At her direction, I ran to the Immigration desk, signed a second immigration stub, and paid a 500 peso penalty, then sprinted back to the gate, returning just minutes after I had left. Suddenly the clerk at the gate had completely changed her tune. "Sorry," she said, "plane's leaving. You can't board." I reminded her that she told me to go get the second immigration stub, return to the gate, and that I'd have no problem boarding the plane. The clerk brushed off my concern like it was of no importance and returned to chatting with a fellow employee. Upset, I went to the Aeromexico customer service desk. The clerk there told me not to worry, that this was no problem at all. "There's a 9:05 am.flight to JFK," she said. "Just go to the Aeromexico desk at L2 or L3, ask for the manager and have her switch you to that flight. It will be no charge." But this turned out to be a lie too. I should have known something was up because the clerk refused to tell me her name. When I sighed, she told me again: Just go to L2 or L3, talk to the manager, and get the free reassignment. "It's just a little bit of paperwork," she said. So I went to L2 and waited in line for 45 minutes to see the manager. When I got to the front desk, the clerk there said that if I wanted to get on the next flight, there would be a penalty - a 8,112 pesos. That's $453.65. "It's Aeromexico procedure," they said. In the end, I spoke with 8 Aeromexico employees, but none helped, including the customer service help line. They told me they had no power to process customer service matters.
RouteMexico City to New York JFK
Date FlownAugust 2017

"inflight service very poor"

(Guatemala)

Verified Review | My flight from Shanghai to Guatemala City via Mexico City was 5:30 am so I arrive early at the airport. Aeromexico ground staff in Shanghai are helpful. Flight departure 20 mins delay. Inflight service very poor. It's 16 hours flight but they did not supply any amenity kit. All cabin crew were rude. Wifi is expensive (21.99$ for 110 MB). Inflight entertainment very poor. Food quality average. They serve 2 time food this 16 hours flight. Mexico City to Guatemala flight departure and arrive right time. This segment better than PVG to MEX.
AircraftBoeing 787 / E190
RouteShanghai to Guatemala City via Mexico City
Date FlownAugust 2017

"never use this airline again"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Guadalajara to Monterry. We had the worst experience with Aeromexico with our flight from Gaudalajara to Monterrey on 23rd July. In the airport we were faced with a huge line to check in and it was moving incredibly slow. We only had to check in our baggage as we had already checked in in the system. There was no baggage-drop line. After we had queued for more than an hour and we finally reached the counter, the staffer demonstrated the worst service I've ever experienced. It turned out that our two suitcases each exceeded the permitted weight limit on 23 kg with 200 grams. It is normally not a problem, as I in two seconds relocate some of the content from my check-in suitcase to my hand baggage but they refused to let us do so, unless we went to the very back of the line. This would mean that we would miss our flight. Instead we had to pay MXN 1800 each (ie in total MXN 3200) for the overweight. It is a significant off-market and burdensome condition not to be allowed to repack the suitcases in order to comply with the allowed weight limit. We will never use this airline again!
RouteGuadalajara to Monterry
Date FlownJuly 2017

"will never fly them again"

Verified Review | San Antonio to Puerto Vallarta via Mexico City. The lack of customer service is why I will never fly them again. We had originally booked our trip on March 2, 2017 and picked our dates and flights based on the family budget for our vacation. In May we received notice that the return flight was cancelled and come to find out there were no flights with them back at anytime that day. So we could either fly back with someone else and we could stay another day. After looking over the options the cheapest was to stay another day. I understand that this can happen, but with any other airlines they would try to compensate the customer because of the issues. After trying to contact them, found out that in order to get an answer the only option was through email with a 5 day response time. As a group we were just hoping that they might at least pay for our baggage since it would not cost the airlines extra money and it would help us by paying some of the cost we were having to pay out. By the time they finally answered it was to say no, but that they were sorry and really hoped to get our business back. We have flown with other airlines and they moved our flight by 15 minutes and gave use $25 vouchers that could be used for future flights or our baggage. So even with all of this we went and when checking back in, the website would not allow us to add baggage to 4 of our guest as it showed they already had paid baggage, so we add the 2 extra. However, when we got to the airport, it only showed the 2 bags. So now instead of the $20 we have to pay $25. However, when we went to pay because of the currency exchange we had to pay $30 and they were not willing to honor the $20 we would have paid because of their website issues. This does not even cover that the plane looked as though it was going to fall apart at any moment and since they do not seem to do compensation you would think they could pay for upgrading their planes.
RouteSan Antonio to Puerto Vallarta via Mexico City
Date FlownJune 2017

"unable to get on the plane"

Verified Review | Quito to New York via Mexico City. Aeromexico refunded my ticket without letting me know and for no reason. The night before my flight, I received an email from them to check in online, so I did not suspect anything was wrong. Upon arrival at the airport, I was told that my ticket had been refunded and was therefore no longer flying with them that day. I asked why and they couldn't give me an explanation, no one knew why. When I told them that I had received an email from them just the night before, the customer service agent told me, "Well maybe if you would have checked in online we would not have refunded your ticket." He then suggested that I fly tomorrow, which would cost three times the original ticket. After an hour of talking to multiple people, they told me I would be able to fly that day I just had to pay for the ticket. However, their machine would not accept my credit card and I could not take out an efficient amount of money from the ATM to cover the cost, and they refused to take a card over the phone from a family member. So I was unable to get on the plane, and had to re book, which I did so with a different airline.
RouteQuito to New York via Mexico City
Date FlownJuly 2017

"pay a little more to avoid Aeromexico"

Verified Review | I have been flying around the world for more than twenty years and Aeromexico is one of the worst airlines I have ever flown. Service was horrible with screens and remote controls falling apart. Quality of food and snacks was deplorable. Connection from Mexico City-Sao Paulo was delayed to the next morning. Aeromexico sent me, my wife and two kids to a downtown hotel far from the airport, with poor quality and extremely noisy neighborhood. We were supposed to arrive in Sao Paulo between 10-11:00 am and we arrived at 10:00 pm. Flight back had no delays but again, horrible food, flight attendants rude and unhelpful. Flying with a family we always try to save the most on our ticket price but for sure, next time I will pay a little more to avoid Aeromexico. Do not make that mistake, I am still regretting it.
RouteNew York to Sao Paulo via Mexico City
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the seat was literally coming apart"

Verified Review | Done 4 flights on Aeromexico flying from Mexico to San Francisco. Not only were the planes old, the seat was literally coming apart! Headrest, seat bottom all in really bad shape. Boarding is never on time even when it's the first flight. Worse still, they don't always communicate everything in English meaning key statements are missed are not translated but in Spanish.
RouteMexico to San Francisco

"treated really well"

Verified Review | I have heard so many horror stories from Aeromexico that I became scared to fly with them. I can honestly say that they are better than they are given credit for on my flight from Guadalajara to Los Angeles we were treated really well, all of the staff were helpful and we were served a full breakfast in a 3.5 hour flight which is almost unheard of in most North American carriers. Another plus was that our aircraft was new and our flight arrived on time.
RouteGuadalajara to Los Angeles

"worst cancellation policy"

Verified Review | Calgary to Lima via Mexico City. Buyer beware Aeromexico has the worst cancellation policy I have ever come by with an Ariline. My husband and I had to cancel our flights due to a family medical emergency. I went to re-book the tickets 3 weeks later, I was told there would be a $100USD no show fee applied to our rebooking for each ticket plus a $250 re-booking fee for each ticket! A total of $700USD. I had cancelled our prior tickets more than a week before flying. When cancelling my flight the rep didn't notify me of this policy. When booking it said there is a cancellation fee but $350 a ticket is crazy. When calling in to re-book, I asked for a manager and was told there was no manager available and that I would need to send in an email. The response time was going to be 7 - 10 days. I called again the next night to speak with a manager, I was told that there was no one available. I said I would wait, they finally put me through, I waited for 10 minutes and was hung up on. I tried calling back again, waited on the phone for an hour and no-one answered. Pretty sure they screened my call. Needless to say we didn't re-book with them and were unable to use our credit. Very disappointed in the lack of customer service and terrible policies - rip-off!
RouteCalgary to Lima via Mexico City
Date FlownJune 2017

"A really bad experience"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Havana to Veracruz via Mexico City. If you expect a Premium quality service "Clase Premier" is not for you. Check in was average. I just receive one boarding pass and was told to collect the next one in Mexico (system failure). No fast track for security. No lounge access (Aeromexico does not have any agreement in this route). Chaotic boarding (altough it was passengers fault). Welcome drink consisted in a minuscle glass of hot water or warm orange juice (consider that air conditioner was not working in the airport). So I asked for a beer and had to wait about 30 minutes. No personal screens. Many ads in the entertainment system. Meals were atrocious, the lowest quality I have found in business class. After landing my baggage I waited 30 minutes for my baggage and had to make a very long queu to get my connection boarding pass (no priority lane). Taking everything into account you just receive a little bigger seat and nothig else. A really bad experience: Dont waste your money in Clase Premier!
RouteHavana to Veracruz via Mexico City