Airline of the Year

Aeroflot Russian Airlines

"definitely fly with Aeroflot"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Tel Aviv via Moscow. Plane from Hong Kong to Moscow was B777-300ER which has good IFE, seat pitch in the economy class is similar to most airlines. It was relatively clean and flight attendants ready to assist passengers. Plane from Moscow to Tel Aviv was A330 2x4x2 seat configuration in the economy class. I would say that it has more legroom than the B777. Take off and landing were both smooth. The drinks are served first then the meal followed after half an hour and another round of drinks after another half an hour. It was a bit inconvenient eating without something to drink. The food trays are collected by the flight attendants after 30 minutes or so. No alcohol on-board. For the price I would definitely fly with Aeroflot and recommend it.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / A330
RouteHong Kong to Tel Aviv via Moscow

"cancelled my flight"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | I have been thoroughly disappointed when they cancelled my flight in the very last minute. Flight cancellations are not rare occurrences, of course. However, the way Aeroflot handled the cancellation left a lot to be desired. I was notified by my travel agent initially via email and apparently, was extremely shocked. I then phoned the agent but to no avail and given that there was no after-hour support in my region, I called their reservations hotline in Russia, only to find that some of their staff did not even speak comprehensible English. To complicate things, they denied the reservations code they themselves supplied, claiming that there was no numbers but only letters, when it clearly contained 2 numbers! After a rather unproductive 5-minute conversation where the staff kept prompting me to repeat and verify the reference code, they asked me for the ticket number. Guess what? They then forwarded me to another service agent, kind of implying it was a special case and they couldn't handle it. When I was finally connected, I was asked to supply the reference code again and they once again said their reference codes do not contain numbers. Of course, that member of staff also ended up asking me to quote the ticket number and sounded hugely impatient when I said "hold on let me retrieve it" with a long and deep breath. Mind you, it took me less than 15 seconds to retrieve it. When I finally started quoting the number, that staff member did not respond until I repeated a few times the first 6 digits and the deafening silence caused me to think the call was interrupted. Yet, after a few "hellos" he finally went "CONTINUE!" and that was one of the most impolite commands I'd ever encountered in phone conversations with airline personnel! To make things worse, he then said he needed to check my booking details further and put me on hold without even saying anything like "please hold the line". After waiting for 20 minutes, the call was disconnected and no one ever rang me back. I had had enough and decided to book myself on another airline.
RouteHKG to WAW via SVO
Date FlownJune 2017

"inconvenient eating without something to drink"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | The flight from Hong Kong to Moscow was delayed though not the fault of the airline as the cause was due to traffic at the runway. Plane from Hong Kong to Moscow was a B777-300ER which has good IFE, seat pitch in the economy class is similar to most airlines of the same aircraft. It was relatively clean and flight attendants are ready to assist passengers. Plane from Moscow to Tel Aviv was A330 2x4x2 seat configuration in the economy class. I would say that it has more legroom than the B777. Take off and landing were both smooth. My observation on all Aeroflot flights, drinks are served first then the meal followed after half an hour and another round of drinks after another half an hour. It was a bit inconvenient eating without something to drink. The food trays are collected by the flight attendants after 30 minutes or so that passngers voluntered to bring them to the galley. .Definitely no alcholo on-board. For the price, which was the cheapest of all arilines flying Hong Kong to Tel Aviv (got mine for only $615), I would definitely fly with Aeroflot and recommend it to my freinds.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER, A330
RouteHong Kong to Tel Avia via Moscow

"Service is good"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | We were delayed by 1.5 hours from Hong Kong to Moscow. However, this was due to air traffic control at HKIA, rather than being the fault of Aeroflot. Because of this I missed my original connecting flight to Helsinki. However, the ground staff were very capable and helpful in organizing me to be transferred to the next available flight just 2 hours later! Food was much better on the way to Helsinki than coming back for some reason. Service is good. English is good. Inflight entertainment suffers from a lack of diversity and a lack of international and Western content.
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki via Moscow

"it's a very good deal"

Verified Review | Aeroflot uses new B777s on the JFK-SVO route, and business class cabin is very clean, featuring with new flat bed seats. The seats are comfortable enough, with a good leg room and a good width even with the 2x2x2 seat plan, six seats in a row. In compare with, for example, Finnair business class with fewer seats in a row, the Aeroflot B777 seats offer little less privacy, because they are closer to the aisle, but the width of the seat itself is good. Considering the lower price of the Aeroflot business class ticket, it's a very good deal. Nice detail: a pillowcase sealed in a plastic bag was included in the blanket/pillow set. The lunch menu with six courses: appetizer, entrée, salad, soup, choice of three main courses and dessert, I liked it very much.
RouteNew York to Moscow

"bad experience overall"

Verified Review | Aeroflot is the worst airline I have ever traveled. Flew from Delhi to Stockholm via Moscow. The airline crew is not at all helpful and arrogant. The toilets are not clean. My seat for a 6 hour long journey was not firm and kept moving. I asked the crew to change the seat and they made excuses that the flight was full. I tried to be as respectful to the crew as possible. When transiting through Moscow for Europe - the short European sector they will just give a very poor snack which most often cold and non-vegetarian. Very bad experience overall.
RouteDelhi to Stockholm via Moscow
Date FlownApril 2017

"almost always on schedule"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Travelling a lot between EU and Moscow. Excellent service. Almost always on schedule. When I have the choice I always choose Aeroflot when travelling to Russia. Seats were more comfortable when Aeroflot was using the Airbus A320 for Brussels / Moscow flights and more space for legs in economy. No extra for food and drinks on medium range flights compare to competitors like Brussels Airlines. Very convenient daily overnight flight from Brussels (in addition to a day time flight) to avoid the (massive!) peak hours Moscow traffic jam.
RouteBrussels to Moscow
Date FlownMay 2017

"Boarding the plane is all-at-once"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | I flew Moscow to Tyumen roundtrip for business on Aeroflot. I have done this trip before, and not much had changed from previous times. The flight was full as always. No alcoholic beverages are served on the domestic flights inside Russia. The main language is Russian (understandably) but flight attendents and announcements are done in English as well. There is no "warm and fuzzy" feeling from the flight attendents, but they are professional. Boarding the plane is all-at-once, chaotic. Best to be near the front of the boarding line, since Russians have a habit of trying to carry-on everything and the overhead bins fill quickly. Be prepared to board/unboard at Sheremetevo via a stairway on the tarmac after a short bus ride from the terminal. The meal served on both flights was a beef sandwich with cheese, horseradish sauce, and a pickle on dark bread, with a small fruit bar and a mandarin orange. Not great, but for a short flight it was better than most budget airlines. There was a delay out of Sheremetevo for mechanical repairs - While boarding we could see a mechanic tightening lug nuts on the A231's tire. A delay of 45 minutes in Tyumen was announced the prior day with no explanation given - probably a plane change.
RouteMoscow to Tyumen

"very good impression"

Verified Review | Moscow to New York JFK. Checking-in took a few minutes. Fast boarding, take off on time. Very efficient service throughout. Clean cabin and lavatories. Good choice of IFE. Decent food (Kosher ordered). Overall very good impression. Unbeatable value for price. I fly this route every 2-3 month, mostly with Aeroflot - never disappointed.
RouteMoscow to New York JFK
Date FlownMay 2017

"poor ground and air service"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Moscow to Yuzhno Sakhalinsk. On check in at Moscow the staff were rude and refused to check me in as one of my bags as it weighed 24kg instead of 23kg, even though my 2nd check in luggage weighed 12kg. They told me to take 1kg out or pay 2000rur or they wouldnt let me fly. Out of the 46kg I was entitled to take I only had 36kg and ended up having to take 1kg out of my luggage and hand carry it onboard. There was only 1 person scanning boarding passes for economy passengers with no help and no proper queue so all customers were just pushing to get to the desk to board. This was highly unorganised and not pleasant. We had to board on a bus even though we were flying on a full B777 while smaller A320's and B737's sat at the gate making the boarding process very uncomfortable . The plane was one of Aeroflot's oldest B777's. The USB charger was broken at my seat and one of the toilets was out of order. They hadn't changed the entertainment from April to May even though they provided the May entertainment guide. The food was terrible and they ran out of the food selection I wanted due to the way they were serving food (back to front rows). For breakfast I got a buckwheat porridge however it wasnt a porridge at all, just a tray full of cooked but dry buckwheat. They don't serve any alcohol on an 8hr flight - if you want some you have to pay for it and if you want a snack you also have to pay for it. Overall Aeroflot provided poor ground and air service and used an old plane for a long flight. I have flown Aeroflot before and sometimes they can be ok, but on this particular case they were poor.
RouteMoscow to Yuzhno Sakhalinsk