Aer Lingus

"become my favourite airline"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Dublin. I have flown between Canada and Europe with them on three separate occasions now, and frankly they have become my favourite airline. Tickets are always under $700 CAD return (my last ticket cost $540 return!). Planes are modern, clean, and spacious. There is plenty of overhead storage in the cabin unlike many other airlines (they don't bug you about slightly oversized carry-on items either). Meals are average, but not the worst for plane food. They also provide snacks. Staff is friendly. Seats are comfortable and wide with excellent leg room in Economy. Entertainment has standard 3.5mm audio jacks (use your own headphone) The only negative things that I've noticed is that boarding can take forever and sometimes the plane leaves late (for the most part the pilot makes up the time in the air and I've always arrived as scheduled). The in-flight entertainment system also has as limited selection, so I recommend you bring books or load you phone with media. In conclusion, this airline delivers a similar service to other well-renowned European airlines (KLM, Lufthansa, etc) and at a borderline-budget price too! Obviously things can go wrong, just like any other airline, however I urge you to give Aer Lingus a chance. They are by far better than any other airlines that lean towards budget costs.
RouteToronto to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2018

"lateness of flights"

Not Verified | Flew from Dublin to London in late May. The plane was delayed for 45 minutes but caught up 30 minutes and arrived in London 15 minutes late. However we were boarded on time even though they knew that they had no landing slot in London. Very uncomfortable on a hot morning but crew excellent and information updates regular and informing. Flight ok. THe return trip was a disaster. Arrived early to Heathrow and placed on an earlier flight which was constantly being put back and eventually took off 20 minutes after the departure time for our original flight. We had been checked in but couldn't board the plane because the crew had not arrived. Passengers were held standing for about 30 minutes in a very small area. The crew were fussy and over officious and spent alot of their time correcting individual passengers. The intercom communications from flight staff were incomplete as they managed every time to cut themselves off and were totally indistinct. Overall an unexpected horrendous experience as previous flights with Aer Lingus had been consistently good. Probably will be slow to fly with them again due to consistent lateness of flights and staff issues.
RouteDublin to London
Date FlownJune 2018

"pros are not worth the hassle"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Birmingham via Dublin. This was my first time flying through this airline. The transatlantic flight from Seattle to Dublin was delayed, awfully dirty and the seats wouldn't recline. The staff was impolite. The domestic flight from Dublin to Birmingham was worse; it was delayed and the management was a mess. As I was getting through security, the airline updated the monitors that the flight had left, whereas they hadn't even started boarding. The also lost and damaged my luggage and were always unaccessible whenever I reached out. This flight was cheap and the food (on the transatlantic carrier only) was good but the pros are not worth the hassle. Their organization is a mess and they are unreliable. If you do decide to fly through them, get travel insurance and cover your bases.
RouteSeattle to Birmingham via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2018

"quality for the price was good"

Trip Verified | Seattle to Barcelona via Dublin. The overall quality for the price was good the international flight had good food and surprisingly good entertainment, but where we ran into some major problems was when it came to luggage and flight times. Both flights were quite late by about an hour (SEA to DUB and DUB to Spain) While this is rather common for a cheap airline it is nonetheless annoying, and probably something to be expected from Aer Lingus in the future. The biggest issue and really the reason I even chose to write this review is that they lost our luggage. The only reason we took this flight and the connecting one was because it was exclusively through Aer Lingus and we figured that with a 6 hour layover in Dublin they would have time to move our bags from one plane to the other. This was too much to ask, however, and despite being told they would transfer the bags they did not. (I am speaking for me and my friend) Once in Spain we learned that another passenger that flew from the UK and then connected to Barcelona from Dublin had the exact same issue, however his story was even stupider since he actually happened to see that his luggage had been unloaded and placed in the carousel in Dublin airport. Keep in mind this was just by chance, he grabbed his bag and told the staff that Air Lingus was supposed to have taken care of this and should have put it on the Barcelona bound plane. Despite him correcting this mistake and giving them another chance to fix it, they till forgot his bag in Dublin. That is pure incompetence. So now me and my friend are in Barcelona for a two month long study abroad, havent heard anything from Aer Lingus and have literally one change of clothes and nothing else. Maybe other peoples' experiences are better than ours, but this airline although has some promise of being sub-par, is simply not worth the risk. Spend the extra money, I know I will next time. Side note: legroom was pretty good and me and my friend are both 6'4".
RouteSeattle to Barcelona via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2018

"crew member hadn't showed up"

Trip Verified | Philadelphia to Manchester via Dublin. This was one of the worst flights I have flown. We were unable to check-in online the night before and without i=forming us, we were given seats that didn't recline, for the 8 hr trip. The food was appalling. The return flight wasn't much better. After having the same issue with checking in, I called the airline to try and check in the day before so we wouldn't get stuck with bad seats again, and they informed us that even though we had an Aer Lingus Reference Number they couldn't help us because it was booking through Expedia. After getting to the airport and waiting at the gate, boarding time comes and an announcement is made that the flight is delayed because a crew member hadn't showed up yet. No updates were given, and a supervisor was loud with some of the passengers that were just looking for an update. You would think that Aer Lingus would have back up crew members. Unable to even board the plane, a full flight was waiting on the punctuality of a single crew member. After an hour of waiting the single missing cabin crew member shows up and we can finally board. The plane was freezing cold, I asked for a blanket two times from the flight attendant and never received one. Customer service is appalling, seats uncomfortable, plane was outdated and food disgusting.
RoutePhiladelphia to Manchester via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2018

"planes were vintage 1970s"

Trip Verified | We flew from Philadelphia to Dublin and on to Heathrow, return. The planes that carried us across the Atlantic (ASL Airlines) were vintage 1970s. My seat arm rest fell off. On the return flight, the seat backs were not attached to the metal frames and the seat cushion had not 'cushion' or springs or whatever makes them comfortable for 7 hours. The toilets smelled like urinals in some very dank Dublin pub - disgusting! The food was not edible. This was the worst airline experience we ever had - and that includes flying in countries that are not considered "first world." In addition, it is impossible to talk with someone at Are Lingus-1 hour and 45 minutes on hold with Irish music was enough to count as torture. Never actually talked to anyone. I even called the Dublin telephone number and got the same hold and music. And they charged for water on the flight from Dublin to Heathrow - Really?
AircraftBoeing 757 / A320
RoutePhiladelphia to Heathrow via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2018

"changed my seating arrangement"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Barcelona via Dublin. Awful first flight with Aer Lingus. It was delayed for an hour and a half, which forced me to lose my connection. On top of that, they changed my seating arrangement without prior notice. I had paid for a seat with extra leg room. When I showed up, I had been moved to another spot with little room for a 6’3 guy. Not good for my knees or hips.
RouteToronto to Barcelona via Dublin

"Appalling customer service"

Not Verified | Dublin to Chicago. Appalling customer service. Due to airline delay by 2 hrs we ran into a storm in Chicago which forced the plane to divert to MKE. Then proceeded to be held on the tarmac for more than 5 hours under the pretense of refueling. After refueling was complete the flight crew had run over duty hours. We then could not go on to Chicago. However, that decision was only made after many hours on the tarmac, even though it was quite obvious that by the time we were refueled the flight crew would be over hours. This led us to get to the baggage area around 2AM. There was no support staff to talk about further plans. We were told the airline would contact us. I was forced to find an alternative route to Chicago. However, I received no communication from the airline after this disaster. After waiting for approx 48 hrs I made multiple calls to the airline, receiving incompetent support staff answers. Still have not heard from the airline after this disaster.
RouteDublin to Chicago
Date FlownMay 2018

"plagued with operational issues"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Dublin. Flew Aer Lingus from Birmingham to New York via Dublin. Delays out, more delays on our return by as much as up to 3 hours. We also had prepaid exit row seats with additional legroom and due to a problem with a change in aircraft we were moved from these seats to standard economy so I’m now chasing for a refund. A 3 hour connection back in Dublin on our return turned into a 5 minute race to our transfer flight. This airline seems to be plagued with operational issues, faulty aircraft which are causing these delays. Food was ok but you have to pay for alcoholic drinks! Even though we paid full whack for our trip to the states. First time flying and possibly the last even though they advertised clearing immigration faster you actually end up spending more time waiting for the plane to take off! You could have cleared immigration twice with their delays!
RouteBirmingham to New York via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2018

"this is the worst experience"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Chicago. I was one of the unfortunate customers that was on the EI125 flight May 2nd. We were diverted to Milwaukee due to thunder storms in Chicago and the Captain and crew tried to keep us informed as much as they could. We sat on the runway in Milwaukee for 3 hrs waiting for the storm to pass but at that stage the crew could not fly it to Chicago so the deplaned us and we were told we would be looked after in the Terminal. When we got in there was one gentleman telling us they were printing forms with our options and he was going to collect the rest of the people off the flight. We never saw him again of Aer Lingus staff. We were left in the terminal to sort out our own arrangements. I have been trying since yesterday to find my bag that was on that flight. I have been flying Aer Lingus for years and this is the worst experience I have had - over 200 people in a terminal and not one Aer Lingus person to take care of them?
AircraftAirbus