Aer Lingus

"service onboard was swift and crew friendly"

Verified Review | Dublin - Lisbon. Evening flight out of Dublin (18.50) on 13th July delayed by over an hour due to late arrival of aircraft from Verona, Italy thus it was almost 8pm before EI486 took off. Crew apologetic. Boarding was well-organised despite a long queue forming before flight was ready. There was no surge of passengers rushing towards the gate as can happen with other airlines. Gate staff segmented passengers with priority and zonal boarding. Flight otherwise was pretty uneventful. Staff service onboard was swift and crew friendly. Despite the very late departure flight landed into Lisbon only a half hour behind schedule at 22.10 however relatively long wait for baggage arrival at belt after paying €35 to checkin the bag.
AircraftA320-200
RouteDublin to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2017

"crew utterly professional and friendly"

Verified Review | Santiago De Compostela to Dublin with Air Lingus. Crew utterly professional and friendly from the word go. They engaged with passengers and freely struck up conversation with travellers, most of whom had been there to complete the Camino de Santiago. Boarding was well organised and swift, even with only one Iberia gate agent. There was a huge amount of cabin baggage, some of which exceeded the allowance, but the air stewards did their utmost to accommodate all bags and therefore avoided bags having to be placed in the hold and ultimately delay the flight. Flight left and arrived on time. Pilots provided flight information on a couple of occasions. I always enjoy flying Aer Lingus and the crew are a credit to our national carrier.
RouteSantiago De Compostela to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2017

"lose a day of our vacation"

Verified Review | Washington to Dublin via Boston. Aer Lingus partners with JetBlue for connecting flights in the US. Unfortunately if there are problems with the flights they both point fingers at the other and neither wants to step up and provide compensation. Our JetBlue flight was an hour late departing because they were "servicing" the plane causing us to miss our flight to Dublin. Three of us stood and watched the Aer Lingus flight in a queue, though apparently sitting in the queue was more important than waiting to board their three missing passengers (we were at the gate at departure time). Aer Lingus was unable to book my husband and me on another flight until the next evening causing us to lose a day of our vacation. The third gentleman didn't get out until much later. I have asked both airlines to provide some type of compensation. Both have refused and we don't qualify for compensation through the European rules because we used Aer Lingus's partner. So, beware of "partners." This arrangement seems to allow each to avoid responsibility.
RouteWashington to Dublin via Boston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"definitely a no frills offering"

Verified Review | I fly between Dublin and Manchester most weeks. With Aer Lingus, the flight is usually reasonably comfortable - the arrival process is often a nightmare. Arriving at Dublin late at night, the aircraft usually parks away from Terminal 2 and there is a long long walk through a labyrinth of internal corridors. As noted by another reviewer, if it is an Aer Lingus regional flight, a compulsory bus tour of Dublin Airport is added to the experience. Arriving at Manchester on Aer Lingus also involves being bussed around that airport. Last Monday, the ground crew decided to economise on the number of buses. Our bus took an age to get to Arrivals. A hot day and severe overcrowding on the bus caused some passengers to panic. Not a pleasant experience. Aer Lingus does not speak to passengers. I could not find a phone number and I am told that Customer Services doesn't have a phone. Very good for cost control and efficiency, I am sure. Not so good if they want repeat business. Aer Lingus advertises itself as Ireland's only four star airline and I think it likes to portray itself as a traditional full service airline. Where UK/European flights are concerned, I think it's definitely a no frills offering.
RouteDublin to Manchester

"Excellent flying experience"

Verified Review | Excellent flying experience from Dublin to New York return. Aircraft was nearly new, usb socket at seat, great IFE, decent leg room and recline. What stood out most was the exceptional crew, so friendly and helpful. A passenger behind me was feeling poorly and I overheard a flight attendant offering to make this passenger hot water, honey and lemon. That speaks volumes. The only issue was lost baggage which does happen frequently I believe but even still I rate the flight and airline 10/10.
RouteDublin to New York
Date FlownApril 2017

"friendly, helpful, cheerful"

Verified Review | We were delighted with our flights from Chicago to Dublin and then Dublin to JFK on the return leg. Boarding went smoothly and the aircraft was clean and in excellent condition. On our Chicago to Dublin leg the A330 was less than one year old. Entertainment system was excellent with many music and movie choices, which kept both adults and kids entertained. The newer aircraft on the first leg included a USB charging port at each seat. Food was surprisingly good, with a nice roast chicken entree offered on the DUB-JFK leg. Alcoholic beverages were about 6 Euros; no free booze in Economy. Seat comfort was actually quite good. I had plenty of leg and knee room despite being over 6 feet tall. Seat padding is a little thin, so if you are sensitive to that you might consider one of those airline seat pads. We were thoroughly impressed by the cabin crew - consistently friendly, helpful, cheerful. Unlike on the American carriers, they did not simply serve the meal and disappear. They were very helpful with our young children as well. Flights left the gate a bit late but arrived on schedule. The captain made such a soft landing at JFK that the whole plane clapped! And I should add the fare we paid was about $500 less than what AA and United were charging. The only negative was the WiFi, which I paid for on the first leg but only worked for about 30 minutes.
AircraftA330-300
RouteDublin to New York
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I pay more for Aer Lingus and I expect more"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | Aer Lingus fly to Marseille terminal 2 which can be best described as a shed. It's the worst airport I've ever experienced. I fly to Lagos regularly which is not a good airport but Marseille is much worse, you are herded like cattle through the most utilitarian halls and corridors. Only budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet use Terminal 2, I pay more for Are Lingus and I expect more. On the return flight they ran out of food and cabin crew said that there were more people than expected on the flight - she couldn't answer when I said that surely they knew the return load factor before they left Dublin. Finally we disembarked at pier B and had an unpleasantly long trek to T2. Overall experience was poor - I don't fly with budget airlines because I want more, I pay more for Aer Lingus and I expect more.
RouteDublin to Marseille
Date FlownJuly 2017

"crew were extremely friendly"

Verified Review | Chicago to Brussels via Dublin. Check in and boarding were efficient. Had use of the British Airways lounge in Chicago and the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin. Both were OK, some beverages and snacks, very few power outlets. The flight from Chicago to Dublin was on time. Cabin crew were extremely friendly and provided good service. The food was pretty good. The WiFi worked well and was complimentary in business. The entertainment system works well, with a nice big and clear screen, but the movie selections were not great. The seat does go all the way flat, but it is difficult to adjust how you like in between that and upright. For some reason, there is no independent control just for recline. There is plenty of space for stuff you want to use during the flight so you don't need to keep reaching for the overhead bin. The flight from Dublin to Brussels was less good. There is no business class on this flight. Even though my end-to-end ticket was for business class, on this flight they don't even provide water or tea for free. This flight was also significantly delayed, by ATC, so that really wasn't their fault.
RouteChicago to Brussels via Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2017

"cancelled flight from Chicago"

Verified Review | They cancelled a flight from Chicago to Dublin due to weather, and diverted the plane to Detroit, a city in the path of the storm. This was a stupid move, but by the end of this review you will see this was actually the least of their mistakes. So upon cancellation, we are instructed to collect our luggage and stand in an incredibly long line. Eventually, you learn from others that the line is only to receive a hotel voucher, and that they are providing no help in re-booking flights, with some excuse that it's not their expertise. By the time you learn this (hours into the line their customer service call center has closed for the night. They run out of hotel vouchers by the time you get to the front of the line, but that's irrelevant. As soon as you do get them on the phone, (at 2:30 AM) you are told they cannot help you because you booked using credit card points, and you must call your credit card. They were supposed to help you; they cancelled the flight, its their responsibility to re-book. They later refuse to book me on another flight because they say I lacked a transit visa for Canada. Going on the Canadian government website and pointing out that US citizens do not need such a visa doesn't help, because their goal is to avoid helping. These lies delayed our re-booking by hours, and we watched as flight after flight filled, pushing our departure back day after day. Their blatant effort to avoid having to pay another airline to re-book us has cost me the opportunity to be in Dublin for Bloomsday.
RouteChicago to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2017

"cancelled flight last minute"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Newark via Dublin. They cancelled my flight last minute without me receiving an email. I got to the airport and I looked for their counter for 20 minutes and they told me that they don't have a counter so they use whatever counters are available. I spent 2 hours waiting for them to book a new flight ended up leaving 4 hours later than my original flight with another airline. Now, I'm taking my flight back home and I will like to upgrade my seat to economy plus or business and the lady was so rude. It does not make me want to spend my money in whatever upgrade I made in this airline.
RouteAmsterdam to Newark via Dublin