Aer Lingus

Review by (United States) 6th July 2015

SFO-DUB, LHR-DUB-SFO. Ground staff excellent. On time departure. Flight staff were just going through the motions and seemed as though they couldn't care less about the passengers. Seating was tight, but bearable. Inflight entertainment was pretty good. Meals were not so good and beverage service was below standard. Had issues with passenger behind us that allowed their child to continuously kick the back of our seat. We asked the mother once of the problem yet the child continued. Asked again to please have your child stop the kicking. Third time was enough and flight crew intervened and helped settle the problem. A cookie for the kicking child and a glass of wine for us. Very odd situation but handled OK by crew. Overall the flight seemed short handed, stressed and just did not want to do their job. Return flight back was like night and day. Our baggage was well above the limit but nothing was said and they checked us in with no questions. Both flights were on time. Ground staff friendly and helpful, cabin crew were friendly, helpful and outgoing. Meals were actually tasty and there were non-stop beverage runs. The crew came across happy and willing to please the passengers. I got on the plane dreading the flight but departed with a positive attitude. Seating is tight though. I recommend Aer Lingus as an alternative airlines if you are looking for a budget alternative to flying.
RouteSFO to DUB

Review by (Ireland) 19th June 2015

Excellent friendly service. Able to fly in and out of Cardiff when other flights were cancelled due to fog. Maybe more expensive than alternatives, but reliable. Preferred airline on the Cardiff-Dublin route.
RouteCardiff to Dublin

Review by (United States) 12th June 2015

JFK-SNN-LHR, FCO-DUB-JFK. The first leg of this trip, JFK-SNN, was operated by Air Contractors (I actually think this was the best flight out of the 4). The Boeing 757 cabin was clean. There were pillows and blankets on each seat. The IFE was sufficient for a ~5 hour flight. There was a meal 1-1.5 hours after takeoff (Chicken or Beef). It was okay and what one would expect of an airline meal. SNN-LHR and FCO-DUB were on A320s. The planes were clean but the seats were a little bit tight. There were no IFE on both flights and they charged for food and beverage. DUB-JFK on an A330 dual aisle plane. No pillow and blanket at my seat but they had blankets available for the passengers. The IFE was again sufficient for 7 hour flight. There was a meal after takeoff and a light snack before landing. The boarding process on all 4 flights were effective and all 4 flights left on time. The flight attendants were friendly and attentive. The check in staff at FCO T1 was not but can't really fault them on that.
RouteJFK-SNN-LHR, FCO-DUB-JFK

Review by (United States) 6th June 2015

Boston - Dublin May 15 flight 138 - was supposed to be an Aer Lingus aircraft but apparently several days out they had to charter a plane from Omni International - which is generally used as troop transport - that was filthy crammed to the gills with the maximum seats. There went our prepaid extra legroom seats no air controls no Aer Lingus staff no individual seat TVs nothing - it was horrible and the worst part - no prior notice. Then - coming back Aer Lingus Shannon - Boston May 31 flight 135 - supposed to be a double aisle aircraft - you guessed it - Boeing 757 - one aisle - 6 hours and no explanations. Yes I understand the airlines can substitute aircraft - but (especially on flight 138) a comparable and comfortable substitute should have been made. I was appalled (and I am a regular traveler to Ireland).

Review by (United States) 20th May 2015

Boston – Dublin. Flight EI136. Dublin – Naples. Flight EI450. I last traveled on Aer Lingus in 1977 as a child. The service was excellent and the food was great. So when I booked our trip in May 2015 to Italy through Dublin to Naples I was excited. I could not have been more disappointed. The service was terrible. There was only 1 flight attendant that gave a faint smile (and that was on all legs of the trip. A British staff member was on board for the final Dublin to Boston flight via Titan Airlines. They were a breath of fresh air and were very pleasant and actually smiled). The food was bad. The plane was pretty clean though. This was the cheapest airline I have flown on. They kept charging for everything. On the flight from Dublin to Naples they charged for every single thing even water. Not one thing was distributed for free. I could see if I paid very little for my flight but this was not a cheap rock bottom fare. Frankly I was ashamed of being Irish after I took the first leg of the trip. We were traveling with 10 other people and all agreed that they would have no interest in traveling to Ireland for a future vacation. So Aer Lingus - you might be saving a lot of money but you are obliterating anyone's desires to travel to Ireland in the future.

Review by (United Kingdom) 16th May 2015

10/5 Sunday flight Dublin to LHR. Went to book luggage in and was grabbed and asked if I wanted to be put on the earlier flight which was good. I had previously paid for a seat upfront but only got row 9 in the reorg which was odd as there were spare seats on the earlier flight. Bad news - loads of planes leaving at that time so really only gained about half an hour but hey not their fault. Usual problem though - people with too much luggage and no idea of how to stow on board. They did weigh some and grab some but I feel they need to monitor this when people get on the plane as some people really are quite selfish and clueless. Also Aer Lingus passengers take forever getting on or off a plane which actually does matter if you have trains and buses to get. However cheaper than Ryanair and quite pleasant.

Review by (Australia) 13th May 2015

We flew Dublin to Paris on May 13th 2015. From the start we were greeted with disinterested and unfriendly staff at check in. Even though I checked in with my husband we were not seated next to each other even though the plane wasn't full. I moved myself over to sit with him before take off but why would they seat us apart? The cabin crew were miserable. Finally they rush through with the tea and coffee and snacks that you have to purchase and staff didn't even bother to ask us if we would like something. The plane itself was disgustingly dirty with drink stains spilled on the seat. The back of the seats holding the magazines was vile with what looked like a mixture of spilt drink food and mould. We will never fly Aer Lingus again.

Review by (United States) 10th May 2015

I traveled from Munich to Boston in early January 2015. The experience at Munich airport was very poor particularly the passport control line which was 45 minutes of unrestrained and uncontrolled pushing and shoving. Probably not Aer Lingus' fault but still a poor start. I had paid for a business class ticket over the internet. Did not find out until getting on the plane that the first part of the trip (Munich to Dublin) was economy as there are no business class seats on the plane. Typical economy experience. The actual business class portion of the trip (Dublin to Boston) was excellent. However the fare (which looked reasonable initially) in retrospect seemed far too high given that 3 hours of the 9 hour trip were actually not business class. I had a medical issue that caused me to book the business class ticket so I was really horrified at the unexpected 3 hours in economy which I had bought the business class ticket specifically to avoid.

Review by (Ireland) 1st May 2015

On a return journey to Dublin from Lanzarote (flight 779) I had fallen unwell 15 minutes post takeoff. The urge to throw-up a feeling not welcomed by most especially not at 30000+ altitude was overwhelming and a sense of unwanted panic set in. Luckily I was accompanied by my boyfriend whom along with the diligent and empathetic flight crew got me back on track for the remainder of the flight. Frequently asking if I was ok or whether I needed anything was a small but oh so grand gesture which made such a positive difference.

Review by (United States) 30th April 2015

April 15th flight 108 return 26th Apr flight 105. My mother and I flew from JFK to Dublin and return. We were in economy from JFK to DUB and in Premier class on the return trip. Both were great experiences and on Aer Lingus new A330. The food was excellent in both cabins. We opted for the succulent steal ($18) in Economy and it was delicious. Crew were lovely. On return we were in the new Premier class cabin. The crew the food the service was terrific. You really could not ask for more.