Airline of the Year

Aer Lingus

"pick any other than Aer Lingus"

Verified Review | I was traveling on Vacation from JFK to LIN, and this was my very first time using Aer Lingus. I don't plan to ever fly with Aer Lingus again. Some things are understandable and are outside of an airline's control. Many of the issues I had experienced were purely poor customer service. Upon arrival at JFK airport, I was immediately turned off at the fact that Aer Lingus is not part of TSA-Pre, meaning I had to go through the standard security check which takes a very long time. So I finally make it to my gate, and I am waiting to start boarding the aircraft. Our flight was supposed to depart at 17:30. 17:30 rolls around and I had to go up and ask the attendant at the gate to find out the plane wasn't cleared to land and had to continue flying past JFK to Boston? I've never heard of this happening before, but I wasn't too irritated as my connecting flight didn't depart until 0700 Ireland time. Well, the flight delay went on for over two hours, and I ended up missing my connecting flight. The delay was understandable, and I assume not the fault of the airline, but communication in regards to the delay was nonexistent. Here is where the real frustration and poor customer service begins. A chaotic, disorganized line forms at the customer service counter to arrange for new connecting flights. This line is so poorly organized that many people were waiting in the wrong line for a half hour, and the flight attendants were the ones who directed them to those lines! Exhausted after an over two-hour delay as well as a 5-hour flight, I wait in this line for 4 hours. This is not an exaggeration but timed. Finally, we get to the front of the line and are told we can't fly out until tomorrow, causing us to lose a full day of our vacation. Aer Lingus in no way compensated us for this inconvenience, or loss of a vacation day, or even offered us one of those $5 drink vouchers, nothing. They sent everyone to the same hotel that couldn't fly out overnight, which was then overbooked and many had to leave that hotel to find accommodations for the evening. This isn't the end of my poor customer service experience. Arriving at the airport for the flight back, with two hours leeway till our flight leaves, we get into a line that wraps around the check-in counter and stretches all the way down through part of the hallway. Aer Lingus had 1 check in counter. There were three desks and only one attendant. I got to my gate right before they shut the doors. I could not imagine what I would have done if I missed that flight and was stranded in another country. Last but not least, the chance to leave feedback to Aer Lingus ended the day I landed back in JFK. I guess they expect me to rate my experience while I'm flying with them. All in all, pick any other than Aer Lingus, and I pray no one else has to go through what I had to go through and have travel completely ruin their vacation.
RouteNew York to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"unpleasant and unprofessional "

Verified Review | New York JFK to Dublin. This is in reference to my flight with Aer Lingus El108 which was scheduled to depart on Tuesday, April 18th from JFK to Dublin, Ireland. Prior to departure I received an e.mail advising that the flight was delayed from 8:50 pm to 10:45pm. On arrival at the Airport my family and I were greeted by non Aer Lingus staff and handed a piece of paper apologizing for the disruption to our travel plans - the Flight had been cancelled and no explanation was given as to why. Included was an “800” number (800-585-0672) to call and rebook or get a refund. I immediately started to call the 800 number which constantly rang with no response - some people were put on hold for a considerable amount of time and had to end up hanging up. When I approached a representative from Aer Lingus, who was constantly on his cell phone and not very approachable, I was basically told they couldn't guarantee that I would get on another flight on April 19th (the next day). Our travel plans were time sensitive since we were attending my niece’s wedding and my sister was acting as the mother of the bride since my niece’s Mum has passed away. I had no choice but to rebook flights with another carrier so we were guaranteed to at least attend the wedding! I called Aer Lingus the following morning and finally got a response to find out that all Aer Lingus flights were already booked out. In addition, I was told that the representative at the Airport should have informed us that they would do all in their power to get us on a flight the next day. In this case Aer Lingus should be responsible for the extra charges that was imposed on us because of their lack of responsibility. I returned from my two week trip to discover that Customer Service didn't have the common courtesy to respond to my email nor had they refunded, as promised, the money for the flight that was cancelled. I had to waste my time and energy dealing with their incompetent customer service and had to explain my case again and demanded a refund. I finally got an email of apology about the cancelled flight and the importance of reliable and safe travel and that I'm in total agreement with, however, I have a difficult time dealing with disinterested staff who appear not to care about their customers. Since Aer Lingus did not make any effort to resolve this issue, in a timely fashion, I will no longer consider Aer Lingus as a carrier of choice, nor will I recommend Aer Lingus as a travel option to others. Quite honestly Aer Lingus lag behind their counterparts when it comes to inflight courtesy and customer service. In this competitive market who would want to subject themselves to such an unpleasant and unprofessional environment.
RouteNew York to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"have lost the personal touch"

Verified Review | Lanzarote to Dublin. I have flown Aer Lingus for many years and always found them to be very helpful and caring towards the passengers. My opinion changed a couple of weeks ago when I got horrible call while in Lanzarote that my mother was very sick and I needed to get home ASAP. I phoned Aer Lingus explained my situation. And after spending 40 mins on the phone to them they offered to change us all (myself, wife & 2 kids) to the flight that evening for nearly €2000. I kept calm and decided to go alone at a charge of €303 having to leave my wife and 2 kids to follow the next day. They said if I provide a Death Cert they'd return the change fee. Thankfully my mother is still fighting. But very disappointed in Aer Lingus that they have lost the personal touch they had and now like the others seem delighted to rip you off when they can. Especially when the availability was there to get us all home.
RouteLanzarote to Dublin

Aer Lingus customer review

Verified Review | Fly Leeds to Dublin return nearly every week with Aer Lingus. Flight prices vary massively depending on journey and when I book but not in a way that makes sense. Staff are nice and efficient, seats are ok for a short flight. No complimentary food or drink but that's fine for such a trip. Leeds Airport is not very nice so I never board happy and the busing out and back to the plane at Dublin is shambolic. I have complained a couple of times and been told to contact Stobarts who own the flight (I hate that kind of buck passing response to a complaint). But the plus points are worth the hassle - almost always on time and in one piece.
AircraftAT 76
RouteLeeds to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2017

"crew were efficient and friendly"

Verified Review | Flew Aer Lingus return from Manchester to Dublin. Both flights departed and arrived on time. Although the flight is only a short hop across the Irish Sea, the seats 2F and 3F were very comfortable and leg room satisfactory. Cabin crew were efficient and friendly. Chose this flight because, with baggage it was cheaper than Ryanair. Would travel with Aer Lingus again.
RouteManchester to Dublin

Aer Lingus customer review

Verified Review | travel between DUB and Frankfurt each week. Lately I am beginning to think about Lufthansa or Ryanair as my preferred carrier due to the following. Prices for flights have crept up considerably and it is now costing €130 on average more for a return flight than 6 months ago. I am a member of Aer Club and the roll out of this frequent flyer club has been a shambles, a situation that continues 5 months after the establishment of new scheme. Outstation lounges tend to be mediocre. Crew on short haul not that friendly. Aircraft are dirty as no cleaning done on turnaround.
RouteFRA to DUB

"Really great experience"

Verified Review | Hartford to Dusseldorf via Dublin. Really great experience! I've only flown transatlantic a few times now but this is the first time on Aer Lingus and I was very pleased. Only a few hiccups but the crew on board were some of the best I've experienced, and the price is fair relative to others. The meals, for airplane food, were really good. Will definitely consider Aer Lingus for any next overseas travel.
RouteHartford to Dusseldorf via Dublin

"I was very happy"

Verified Review | I arrived in London 10 hours earlier than expected, due to changes in my flight from Bangkok. I arrived there around 6am and I was suppose to arrive at 4pm. I decided to try and went to Aer Lingus customer service in Heathrow Airport, explained the situation and asked if they could change my flight so I could travel earlier. Surprisingly, they said yes and they put me in the next flight at 9am, free of charge. I don't know if it was my lucky day but I was very happy. The staff was very friendly and flight was great.
RouteLondon to Dublin

"was 23 hours delayed"

Verified Review | My Business Class flight recently from Boston to Dublin was 23 hours delayed. I asked for compensation but had no response from Aer Lingus for weeks. As a result of the above, Aerlingus did not capture my tier points for my Aerclub frequent flyer account. This was a system error on their part. Despite having written to them several times, they refuse to recognise the points added and upgrade me to the next tier even though the missing flight would take me to the next tier. This is customer care of the worst kind (absent, and even outright refusing to care). Response times are long, and the replies tend to be unhelpful and off the point.
RouteBoston to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2017

"will not choose Aer Lingus again"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Toronto via Dublin. Pros: economic pricing, staff was generally friendly, movie selection ok Cons: old aircraft, baggage delay handled really poorly. No bags still after 48h, no contact from airline. Tried all channels, phone number on website only leads to baggage handler at the airport who doesn't have proper information and no authority to do any compensation. Social media does not publish comment, no answers to any of my emails other than an automated reply. I will not choose Aer Lingus again. It's not worth saving $200
RouteFrankfurt to Toronto via Dublin