Airline of the Year

Aer Lingus

"cancelled flight from Chicago"

Verified Review | They cancelled a flight from Chicago to Dublin due to weather, and diverted the plane to Detroit, a city in the path of the storm. This was a stupid move, but by the end of this review you will see this was actually the least of their mistakes. So upon cancellation, we are instructed to collect our luggage and stand in an incredibly long line. Eventually, you learn from others that the line is only to receive a hotel voucher, and that they are providing no help in re-booking flights, with some excuse that it's not their expertise. By the time you learn this (hours into the line their customer service call center has closed for the night. They run out of hotel vouchers by the time you get to the front of the line, but that's irrelevant. As soon as you do get them on the phone, (at 2:30 AM) you are told they cannot help you because you booked using credit card points, and you must call your credit card. They were supposed to help you; they cancelled the flight, its their responsibility to re-book. They later refuse to book me on another flight because they say I lacked a transit visa for Canada. Going on the Canadian government website and pointing out that US citizens do not need such a visa doesn't help, because their goal is to avoid helping. These lies delayed our re-booking by hours, and we watched as flight after flight filled, pushing our departure back day after day. Their blatant effort to avoid having to pay another airline to re-book us has cost me the opportunity to be in Dublin for Bloomsday.
RouteChicago to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2017

"cancelled flight last minute"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Newark via Dublin. They cancelled my flight last minute without me receiving an email. I got to the airport and I looked for their counter for 20 minutes and they told me that they don't have a counter so they use whatever counters are available. I spent 2 hours waiting for them to book a new flight ended up leaving 4 hours later than my original flight with another airline. Now, I'm taking my flight back home and I will like to upgrade my seat to economy plus or business and the lady was so rude. It does not make me want to spend my money in whatever upgrade I made in this airline.
RouteAmsterdam to Newark via Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"we don't have an alternative"

Verified Review | Izmir to Dublin. Herded like cattle in walkway to board plane. Hot and smelly with some drunk passengers making a racket. We were in tunnel for near 20 minutes then there was a 30 minute delay before the plane took off. Decent fight home but had to walk down steps from plane. Walk across tarmac and then a 1/3 mile hike up and down and across the airport to get to passport control and baggage collection. Bad enough for us but a disaster for elderly. Or infirm to make this horrible journey. Aer lingus hold baggage costs are very high but they put our hand ouggage in hold free of charge yesterday? Hold luggage charges are obviously a great revenue generator for Aer Lingus. We only fly with them because we don't have an alternative.
RouteIzmir to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"pick any other than Aer Lingus"

Verified Review | I was traveling on Vacation from JFK to LIN, and this was my very first time using Aer Lingus. I don't plan to ever fly with Aer Lingus again. Some things are understandable and are outside of an airline's control. Many of the issues I had experienced were purely poor customer service. Upon arrival at JFK airport, I was immediately turned off at the fact that Aer Lingus is not part of TSA-Pre, meaning I had to go through the standard security check which takes a very long time. So I finally make it to my gate, and I am waiting to start boarding the aircraft. Our flight was supposed to depart at 17:30. 17:30 rolls around and I had to go up and ask the attendant at the gate to find out the plane wasn't cleared to land and had to continue flying past JFK to Boston? I've never heard of this happening before, but I wasn't too irritated as my connecting flight didn't depart until 0700 Ireland time. Well, the flight delay went on for over two hours, and I ended up missing my connecting flight. The delay was understandable, and I assume not the fault of the airline, but communication in regards to the delay was nonexistent. Here is where the real frustration and poor customer service begins. A chaotic, disorganized line forms at the customer service counter to arrange for new connecting flights. This line is so poorly organized that many people were waiting in the wrong line for a half hour, and the flight attendants were the ones who directed them to those lines! Exhausted after an over two-hour delay as well as a 5-hour flight, I wait in this line for 4 hours. This is not an exaggeration but timed. Finally, we get to the front of the line and are told we can't fly out until tomorrow, causing us to lose a full day of our vacation. Aer Lingus in no way compensated us for this inconvenience, or loss of a vacation day, or even offered us one of those $5 drink vouchers, nothing. They sent everyone to the same hotel that couldn't fly out overnight, which was then overbooked and many had to leave that hotel to find accommodations for the evening. This isn't the end of my poor customer service experience. Arriving at the airport for the flight back, with two hours leeway till our flight leaves, we get into a line that wraps around the check-in counter and stretches all the way down through part of the hallway. Aer Lingus had 1 check in counter. There were three desks and only one attendant. I got to my gate right before they shut the doors. I could not imagine what I would have done if I missed that flight and was stranded in another country. Last but not least, the chance to leave feedback to Aer Lingus ended the day I landed back in JFK. I guess they expect me to rate my experience while I'm flying with them. All in all, pick any other than Aer Lingus, and I pray no one else has to go through what I had to go through and have travel completely ruin their vacation.
RouteNew York to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"unpleasant and unprofessional "

Verified Review | New York JFK to Dublin. This is in reference to my flight with Aer Lingus El108 which was scheduled to depart on Tuesday, April 18th from JFK to Dublin, Ireland. Prior to departure I received an e.mail advising that the flight was delayed from 8:50 pm to 10:45pm. On arrival at the Airport my family and I were greeted by non Aer Lingus staff and handed a piece of paper apologizing for the disruption to our travel plans - the Flight had been cancelled and no explanation was given as to why. Included was an “800” number (800-585-0672) to call and rebook or get a refund. I immediately started to call the 800 number which constantly rang with no response - some people were put on hold for a considerable amount of time and had to end up hanging up. When I approached a representative from Aer Lingus, who was constantly on his cell phone and not very approachable, I was basically told they couldn't guarantee that I would get on another flight on April 19th (the next day). Our travel plans were time sensitive since we were attending my niece’s wedding and my sister was acting as the mother of the bride since my niece’s Mum has passed away. I had no choice but to rebook flights with another carrier so we were guaranteed to at least attend the wedding! I called Aer Lingus the following morning and finally got a response to find out that all Aer Lingus flights were already booked out. In addition, I was told that the representative at the Airport should have informed us that they would do all in their power to get us on a flight the next day. In this case Aer Lingus should be responsible for the extra charges that was imposed on us because of their lack of responsibility. I returned from my two week trip to discover that Customer Service didn't have the common courtesy to respond to my email nor had they refunded, as promised, the money for the flight that was cancelled. I had to waste my time and energy dealing with their incompetent customer service and had to explain my case again and demanded a refund. I finally got an email of apology about the cancelled flight and the importance of reliable and safe travel and that I'm in total agreement with, however, I have a difficult time dealing with disinterested staff who appear not to care about their customers. Since Aer Lingus did not make any effort to resolve this issue, in a timely fashion, I will no longer consider Aer Lingus as a carrier of choice, nor will I recommend Aer Lingus as a travel option to others. Quite honestly Aer Lingus lag behind their counterparts when it comes to inflight courtesy and customer service. In this competitive market who would want to subject themselves to such an unpleasant and unprofessional environment.
RouteNew York to Dublin
Date FlownMay 2017

"have lost the personal touch"

Verified Review | Lanzarote to Dublin. I have flown Aer Lingus for many years and always found them to be very helpful and caring towards the passengers. My opinion changed a couple of weeks ago when I got horrible call while in Lanzarote that my mother was very sick and I needed to get home ASAP. I phoned Aer Lingus explained my situation. And after spending 40 mins on the phone to them they offered to change us all (myself, wife & 2 kids) to the flight that evening for nearly €2000. I kept calm and decided to go alone at a charge of €303 having to leave my wife and 2 kids to follow the next day. They said if I provide a Death Cert they'd return the change fee. Thankfully my mother is still fighting. But very disappointed in Aer Lingus that they have lost the personal touch they had and now like the others seem delighted to rip you off when they can. Especially when the availability was there to get us all home.
RouteLanzarote to Dublin

Aer Lingus customer review

Verified Review | Fly Leeds to Dublin return nearly every week with Aer Lingus. Flight prices vary massively depending on journey and when I book but not in a way that makes sense. Staff are nice and efficient, seats are ok for a short flight. No complimentary food or drink but that's fine for such a trip. Leeds Airport is not very nice so I never board happy and the busing out and back to the plane at Dublin is shambolic. I have complained a couple of times and been told to contact Stobarts who own the flight (I hate that kind of buck passing response to a complaint). But the plus points are worth the hassle - almost always on time and in one piece.
AircraftAT 76
RouteLeeds to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2017

"crew were efficient and friendly"

Verified Review | Flew Aer Lingus return from Manchester to Dublin. Both flights departed and arrived on time. Although the flight is only a short hop across the Irish Sea, the seats 2F and 3F were very comfortable and leg room satisfactory. Cabin crew were efficient and friendly. Chose this flight because, with baggage it was cheaper than Ryanair. Would travel with Aer Lingus again.
RouteManchester to Dublin

Aer Lingus customer review

Verified Review | travel between DUB and Frankfurt each week. Lately I am beginning to think about Lufthansa or Ryanair as my preferred carrier due to the following. Prices for flights have crept up considerably and it is now costing €130 on average more for a return flight than 6 months ago. I am a member of Aer Club and the roll out of this frequent flyer club has been a shambles, a situation that continues 5 months after the establishment of new scheme. Outstation lounges tend to be mediocre. Crew on short haul not that friendly. Aircraft are dirty as no cleaning done on turnaround.
RouteFRA to DUB

"Really great experience"

Verified Review | Hartford to Dusseldorf via Dublin. Really great experience! I've only flown transatlantic a few times now but this is the first time on Aer Lingus and I was very pleased. Only a few hiccups but the crew on board were some of the best I've experienced, and the price is fair relative to others. The meals, for airplane food, were really good. Will definitely consider Aer Lingus for any next overseas travel.
RouteHartford to Dusseldorf via Dublin