Aer Lingus

"Never fly them again"

Trip Verified | Our Aer Lingus flight from Ireland to Boston was cancelled due to "technical issues." They re-scheduled our flight to go from Ireland to New York JFK airport and then another flight to Boston airport. Due to the longer flight, we missed our connecting flight home to Denver. Now its 8pm and no flights out until 9am the next morning. My wife has bronchitis and a horrible cough. I asked them to help us with a hotel for the night and they said, "There is nothing we can do." Cheapest hotel is $400/night. So, now my poor wife is sleeping the night in a chair at Boston airport! They are very willing to take your money but not willing to take responsibility when they blow it. They were completely responsible for us missing our connecting flight home. Heartless airline company. Never fly them again and I would highly suggest you consider your choices. Aer Lingus is horrible.
RouteBoston to Shannon
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"not travel Aer Lingus again"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Glasgow to Dublin. The check in and flight itself was good. On time and reasonable. I am a cyclist and scientist and traveling for conference and training. I booked and paid for a bicycle. However, on return my bicycle carry box was damaged externally. I have had no offer of acceptance/not of liability, letter etc. When home (Glasgow), the bike frame had be damaged, which would have required a heavy force e.g. dropped form back of plane, heavy baggage dumped on top etc. The frame was unridable and needed replacing. I fly about 40 flights a year and have done for over 5 years with bike in this format with zero issues (mainly Air New Zealand and other Star Alliance carriers). OK. so occasionally some handling error may occur, this is life. However, I called, wrote, filled out online forms as recommended by AerLIngus. Replies were short and noted "please wait out team is reviewing it". I followed up 9 times over 2 months and still no response. I have now moved to my travel insurer for recovery of damage costs. Aer Lingus' baggage-ralated customer services is appalling 0.5 out of 10. It left a very sour taste and I would not travel Aer Lingus again nor can recommend this airline. If you do value your baggage and must travel with this poor airline, ensure you have it fully insured. reading other comments here, the airline has a baggage handling issue to sort out. Cheers.
RouteGlasgow to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Never flying with them again"

Not Verified | Terrible customer service, rude and unhelpful. Flew Dublin to New York (Aer Lingus) and New York onto Las Vegas (jetblue) on 2 July. Bags never left Dublin until the 10 July and never received any bag for entire holiday. Supposedly bag arrived in Las Vegas sometime after this. On return to Dublin tried to trace bag whereabouts and was told by Aer Lingus that despite their mistake they would take no responsibility for the bag or helping find it and that it was jet blues issue, in saying this they were incredibly rude and unhelpful. Jet blue have then said they returned the bag from Las Vegas to Aer Lingus and said contact them to return it to Ireland. Now Aer Lingus refuse to say anything other then contact jetblue, but jetblue saying Aer Lingus have the bag! This is going on for 2 months and the time and money gone into trying to get bag back, nothing about the ruined holiday or the cost of additional clothing on holiday. At least jetblue try to help and have good customer service. Aer Lingus are just so rude and unhelpful and it was their mistake! Never flying with them again.
RouteDublin to New York
Date FlownJuly 2018

"staff handled it very poorly"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Amsterdam via Dublin. My flight was cancelled and staff handled it very poorly, no one received anything. They gave us a sheet of paper with the wrong number/number that didn't exist. After asking around and searching their website we had to call a phone line that took 4+ hours to talk to someone and had a choice between rescheduling the next flight with them which was two days out or refund of the cancelled flight which means you have to pay expensive last minute flights with other airlines.
RouteChicago to Amsterdam via Dublin

"overall great airline"

Not Verified | Dublin to London Heathrow. Overall great airline. Self Check in a bit laggy, needed assistance from staff, handled it great. Staff great, legroom average but seats very comfortable. We were on time for our return flight and this. Good job Aer Lingus.
RouteDublin to London Heathrow

"totally disappointed"

Trip Verified | Flew on the EI037 August 16th from Heathrow to Belfast. Boarding Process was reasonable and flight itself was ok, however after arriving in Belfast on schedule I spent 25 minutes waiting for my baggage, which never arrived. I went to the lost baggage counter where I met a person who did not care about my situation and went through the mechanical motions of giving me the registering forms. I then had to log on to a website to follow up on where by baggage was. I finally got data on line that my bag would be arriving in Belfast midday August 17th, however I did not get any calls or e-mails from Aer Lingus updating me on the status of my baggage. I eventually received my baggage on August 18th @12:40am. Totally disappointed in Aer Lingus service and follow to advise the status of the lost baggage.
RouteLondon to Belfast
Date FlownAugust 2018

"seats were unacceptably tight"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Dublin. On both legs of this roundtrip flight (a journey I am very familiar with), the seats were unacceptably tight. I am 6'3". It is a health hazard to cram patrons in substandard seating. With my knees jammed against the seat in front of me and not even an inch to squirm around, I and every taller patron is at risk of injury.
RouteToronto to Dublin

"website is a disaster"

Trip Verified | London to Cork. The flight service is reasonable for the money, they charge for everything, bags ,meals and all seats with charges depends on the class. But the booking through the airline website is a disaster, I booked my flight online where for 1st time after completing the booking process including the payment the the window took long time look like loading or processing and surprisingly the window back to where all the flight details again and I have to start all over again. I waited 10-15 mins when I did not receive any confirmation email as well as I have created account where it did not show any booked trip, so I went back and booked my flight which is urgent and I needed to confirm the booking for my company. When I received the bank statement I found out they charge me twice where there is only receipt of one flight and one person. Calling the customer service did not help as nothing in their system Proof this duplicate payment so I have to fill the online form for refund where the only proof is the bank statement that is made me look like i took advantage of the company money and the investigation in the airline in the email said they may take up 60 days! What kind of poor service is this
RouteLondon to Cork
Date FlownJuly 2018

"worst place for a transfer"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Chicago. Worst airline/transfer experience to date. On the way back from World Cup Moscow I connected in Dublin for Aer Lingus flight 125 back to Chicago. It took nearly 3.5 hours to navigate Dublin airport from my arriving Finnair flight (1381) in Terminal 1 my to the departing Aer Lingus flight in terminal 2. Upon arriving in Terminal 1 you're directed out through security/customs to the street, a quick 3 minute walk outside to terminal 2. Ensuing 90 minute wait for a ticket agent as the kiosks weren't working. Then security again to enter terminal 2. Then security again in terminal 2, then customs. None of which is an issue caused by Aer Lingus, just terrible airport design and the worst place for a transfer I've ever encountered. We boarded the plane parked at the gate, A330-300 a newer plane by Aer Lingus standards (equipped with USB charger at each seat at least). At the end of the boarding process we were told to deplane as our aircraft was going to be sent to Boston instead. After a nearly 2 hour delay we reboarded a older A330-200 (the equipment normally assigned to the route). No USB, no working power, no working video and my seat pocket was held together with peel & stick velcro. Needless to say everyone missed their connecting flights in Chicago. I'm assuming some algorithm decided in was more cost effective to put those 4 extra rows to use in Boston than Chicago. In all, flight crew adequate, food below average, equipment extremely old. Pathetic management. First and last experience with Aer Lingus.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDublin to Chicago
Date FlownJuly 2018

"does not leave on time"

Trip Verified | Knock to Gatwick. I am just onboard my very late return to London. I dread the flights as it does not leave on time. This is a budget airline charging a premium. This set of flights cost over £400. Ryanair cost half but for me fly into the wrong airport. I was kind of hoping the cost would mean quality but no. Far from it.
RouteKnock to Gatwick