Aer Lingus

"Terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Terrible customer service. I needed to make some last minute changes to my itinerary. I was given a quotation for the changes which Aer Lingus later advised was given in error but they refused to honour. I had to pay nearly 3 times the original quotation. They also made errors on the amount they charged my credit in Euros and have so far refused to resolve the issue. The flights themselves were uneventful but disappointing. The planes were old but had maybe been refitted with new seats in recent years. The inflight entertainment is basic and I found it hardly worth watching. My USB charger point did not work and only one earphone worked. I ordered 2 kids meals and 2 gluten free meals 48 hrs in advance and did not receive any of them. The final insult was having to pay for alcoholic beverages on the flights.
RouteSeattle to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2018

"Service was wonderful, personal"

Trip Verified | London to San Francisco via Dublin. Once boarded on the long flight to SFO, things were great - even got a few hours sleep so i arrived home feeling good and had hardly any jet lag, even with daylight all the way over from Europe. The lounges could be better, even BA's Terraces has champagne on request and several hot dishes. It's weird flying in very basic coach from London to Dublin, where they wanted to charge even for a cup of tea - but a kind flight attendant found me a completely empty row so I got to look out the window plus had easy aisle access for that short flight. Service on the long leg was wonderful, personal, friendly and efficient and they had Peaky Blinders on the IFE! It was great to bypass immigration and customs at SFO (having done that at DUB), but someone forgot to open the door to the area where our bags were being delivered, so we lost a fair amount of the time saved.
RouteLondon to San Francisco via Dublin

"hey lost my luggage"

Not Verified | Zurich to Toronto via Dublin. Both my flights were delayed by over an hour. They lost my luggage - which was only returned days after. Impossible to reach customer services on the phone to track this luggage. Customers have to pay for meals on European trips. Vegetarian snack was just a tub of salad and a tub of fruit.
RouteZurich to Toronto via Dublin
Date FlownJune 2018

"my flight was cancelled!"

Trip Verified | Hartford to Dublin, I booked this August 2018 flight for my honeymoon back in December. When I went to go through my itinerary for my entire trip one last time my flight was cancelled! I received no notice of this I had already been charged and my fiancé and I spent over 10 hours on hold starting Friday afternoon and did not get in touch with someone until Sunday morning who said no one could help us over the phone it had to be done through email! At this point we were in a straight panic and had to rebook so now we have paid twice for our honeymoon and frankly are too frustrated to even be excited about it. Still have not received any response from numerous emails sent and numerous claims submitted through their website. Not to mention I booked directly with Aer Lingus thinking that would put in the most secure position for my honeymoon travel plans!!!
RouteHartford to Dublin
Date FlownJune 2018

"United Airlines ruined the plans"

Not Verified | Booked 12 tickets for my family to go to my daughter's wedding. After a flight cancellation on the last 10 travelers and later flight delay on United, our Aer Lingus flight was missed. (Aer Lingus booked the first 7 tickets but said they were out of seats on the United flight, so they had me book the last 5 directly.) 4 Tickets were rebooked on United but since Aer Lingus refused to release the tickets for the last 5 travelers, they were left in Newark. Had to purchase new tickets on Norwegian the next day. Aer Lingus left a family with a special needs child at the airport and refused to help. Customer service was non existent, wouldn't provide a person to talk to and said the only recourse was to file a complaint on line. The answer to the complaint was United Airlines ruined the plans, but Aer Lingus is not responsible.
RouteNorfolk to Dublin via Newark

"punctuality is horrendous"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Amsterdam. The aircraft and service is okayish for short haul, although all quite dated. However, Aer Lingus punctuality is horrendous. The last two months, none of my Aer Lingus flights were on time, always delayed 45+ minutes. As a frequent business traveler, I would rather avoid this airline and pick someone else where you can, otherwise you'll be arriving late almost guaranteed.
RouteDublin to Amsterdam
Date FlownJune 2018

"never fly this airline again"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Dublin. Made a reservation and bought an exit row seat for $70. A few days before my outbound flight I checked my flight details and found that they had changed my seat to a regular seat. I called and got it changed back. On the day I left they changed it to a regular seat again and I had to fight to get my exit row $70 seat back. Crooked behavior! Then at check in they refused to check my back through from Dublin to Leeds on an Aer Lingus flight because, I bought the ticket from Expedia? They told me if I wanted the convenience of checking bags through I had to buy the ticket directly from them. They do not participate in the TSA or Global Entry programs so I waited 1 hour 23 minutes in security at LAX which is always absolute chaos in terminal 2. In flight crew were at best indifferent and mostly just rude. One very small meal two hours after takeoff then not even a snack for 10 hours. Wine outrageously expensive and water was not offered once for 10 hours. When I went back to the galley to ask for water the curtain was drawn so no passengers welcome! Arrival was chaotic (jetway was wrongly placed). I would never fly this airline again. They said that the $70 seat got me priority boarding and at the gate they told me, no you wait till your row is called! Today I was supposed to fly from Leeds to Dublin and then from Dublin back to LA the Dublin flight so far is delayed over 5 hours. I have been waiting 2 hours to even talk to someone about getting rebooked but no one available and again, they refused to check my bag through to LA because I booked the Leeds to Dublin flight through Expedia even though both my flights are on Aer Lingus. Absolute chaos with delay, no one has a clue what to do. Avoid this mickey mouse airline at all costs. Not only are they horribly inefficient but their personnel are either very rude or worse, indifferent.
RouteLos Angeles to Dublin

"Staff were useless"

Trip Verified | I had a terrible experience trying to get on my flight. Staff were useless and gave me wrong the information and were telling me I couldn't get on my flight because they couldn't print my boarding pass, despite confirming that I was checked in on the flight and the flight hadn't even started boarding yet. They sent me to flight reservations to book another flight because they couldn't print a boarding pass. I sensed this was ridiculous and went to another check in desk and they printed it for me then and there immediately. I had lost about 40 minutes hitting brick walls with Aer Lingus staff and the Aer Lingus app and trying to get up to security and back down to check in. It meant I had to run through security and for about 10 minutes to the far end of the terminal to make my flight. I was soaked in sweat and really uncomfortable getting on the flight. It was an example of a catalogue of bad processes and negligent don't care attitude staff. I checked in online and took a screenshot of my boarding pass. I went to the airport for about 1 hour before boarding and tried to print my boarding pass at the terminal. It wouldn't allow me. I went to the Aer Lingus concierge and she said it was odd but the screen shot I have will do. Security couldn't accept the screenshot because it wouldn't scan. I downloaded the Aer Lingus app but it wouldn't give me my boarding pass. I went back to the check in desk and they wandered off to check something and came back to tell me they can't print boarding passes because it's within 45 minutes of the flight. This was incorrect and I finally got someone who knew what they were doing.
RouteDublin to Gatwick
Date FlownJune 2018

"neither excellent, nor bad"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Flew Dublin to Milan. I have flown with Aer Lingus several times, the result is always the same, neither excellent, nor bad, the crew are always kind, the airplanes are clean (even if a little old), food and drinks on board are paid (crazy for a company so big), the seats are not very comfortable, but the prices are often good and overall I recommend.
RouteDublin to Milan
Date FlownMarch 2018

"become my favourite airline"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Dublin. I have flown between Canada and Europe with them on three separate occasions now, and frankly they have become my favourite airline. Tickets are always under $700 CAD return (my last ticket cost $540 return!). Planes are modern, clean, and spacious. There is plenty of overhead storage in the cabin unlike many other airlines (they don't bug you about slightly oversized carry-on items either). Meals are average, but not the worst for plane food. They also provide snacks. Staff is friendly. Seats are comfortable and wide with excellent leg room in Economy. Entertainment has standard 3.5mm audio jacks (use your own headphone) The only negative things that I've noticed is that boarding can take forever and sometimes the plane leaves late (for the most part the pilot makes up the time in the air and I've always arrived as scheduled). The in-flight entertainment system also has as limited selection, so I recommend you bring books or load you phone with media. In conclusion, this airline delivers a similar service to other well-renowned European airlines (KLM, Lufthansa, etc) and at a borderline-budget price too! Obviously things can go wrong, just like any other airline, however I urge you to give Aer Lingus a chance. They are by far better than any other airlines that lean towards budget costs.
RouteToronto to Dublin