Aer Lingus

"agents abroad can be rude"

Verified Review | Dublin to Brussels. As said elsewhere a no frills airline pretending to be more. No business class to Europe but they will sell premium tickets for front seats (six across as economy) priority lane security and lounge access. The lounge is just OK with limited choice of food. Aer Lingus is the most delayed and highest cancelled flights airline I have flown, to the point I have stopped using them unless they are the only option. On my flights to Brussels from Dublin both legs were late, for Brussels you are emailed a pass for the BA lounge before your flight but unless you ask at check in your boarding pass won't be stamped for the priority security lane. As our flight was delayed and the lounge is that of IAG partner BA we were thrown out after the last BA flight left. The only upside was that the flight crew and Dublin ground staff to their credit are for the most part professional and pleasant. But Aer Lingus agents abroad can be rude - that I was told by their agents in TLS since (on a flight my daughter was taking) "we don't do customer service if you have a problem with that complain to the police". I'll stick to Air France and change flights in CDG on EU short haul routes in future, at least they have customer service and know what it means.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDublin to Brussels
Date FlownJuly 2017

"this is a no-frills airline"

Verified Review | Toronto to Gatwick return via Dublin. My lasting impression is that this is a no-frills airline trying to put on a show like they aren't a no-frills airline. Everything was pretty much lack lustre, but they did get us from A to B to C and back again, on time. Positives: The four planes we travelled on were clean, tidy and comfortable. Cabin crew were very friendly and professional. They've got some good and experienced people working for them. We travelled in peak season so the flights weren't cheap, but outside of that time, they are one of the cheaper long haul airlines. Terms and conditions were made very clear during booking and check in. Connection through Dublin was easy and clear if a bit convoluted. Negatives: Pre-flight customer service was poor. Booking and online check in allowed for no seat selections to be made. At no point in the booking/check in process were we able to select seats, which was important to us due to the age and health of the travellers. Only through extended negotiation with contracted check-in staff at airport, who could see our needs, were we able to secure appropriate seats. Which left for a nerve-wracking build up to travelling. Special meal selections were inaccurate from booking - luckily we called up in advance to confirm. Food on outbound leg was good, but they ran out of the chicken option very quickly. Food on the way home was terrible. Entertainment selection is okay. The technology is poor, though. Had to reset my or my companions' screens at least once on each leg. Several functions did not work. Baggage handling is poor. Had a 2.5 hour wait at Toronto for baggage to come through. One lost bag. Despite which party was at fault, it was very poor customer service from Aer Lingus from that point on, with nobody to speak to at the company, and given telephone numbers cutting out upon connection. Seemingly there is no customer service department. Very few representatives on the ground. Would travel with them again given the cost, but with low expectations.
AircraftA330-200
RouteGatwick to Toronto Pearson via Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2017

"has no customer service team"

Verified Review | Our flight from Berlin to Dublin was diverted to Belfast due to fog. We then were delayed for 5 hours in Belfast (partly stuck on plane, partly in airport) with no information from Aer Lingus. When we finally did get information at approx 6.00 am (7 hours after planned arrival time) we were offered the choice to wait for buses to Dublin which would take two hours or pay to make our own travel arrangements and be reimbursed, we were told to keep all receipts due to this. Myself and my partner opted to get a taxi as we both had work the next morning at 9.00 am. We arrived to Dublin at 8.00 (8 hours delay). I started to try seek reimbursement as promised from Aer Lingus the next week, they have not provided me with this reimbursement and will not respond to me. They said they will not reimburse us despite the agreement that was made on the day. Unfortunately I cannot recommend an airlane that makes false promises and has no customer service team.
RouteBerlin to Dublin
Date FlownJuly 2017

"seat selection price put me off"

Verified Review | Dublin to Verona for the annual summer holiday 2 adults, 3 children. It had been some time since I had travelled Aer Lingus as normally they are out of budget for me. I booked the tickets in December. I was shocked to see that we had to pay 8 euro a head to be assured of sitting next to one another. This is significantly dearer than Ryanair. In the end it worked out ok. I think 30 hours to allocate seats is a bit too short notice. On arrival DUB T2 was mental and the automatic bag drop was brilliant and really user friendly. Boarding was done in a very relaxed manner by courteous staff and the flight itself was lovely. Really friendly staff with a bit of banter thrown in and plenty of updates from the flight deck. I would love to travel again with Aer Lingus especially with the children. It was a good product and the company should be very proud of its staff but the seat selection price and the 30 hour window really does put me off.
RouteDublin to Verona
Date FlownJuly 2017

"service onboard was swift and crew friendly"

Verified Review | Dublin - Lisbon. Evening flight out of Dublin (18.50) on 13th July delayed by over an hour due to late arrival of aircraft from Verona, Italy thus it was almost 8pm before EI486 took off. Crew apologetic. Boarding was well-organised despite a long queue forming before flight was ready. There was no surge of passengers rushing towards the gate as can happen with other airlines. Gate staff segmented passengers with priority and zonal boarding. Flight otherwise was pretty uneventful. Staff service onboard was swift and crew friendly. Despite the very late departure flight landed into Lisbon only a half hour behind schedule at 22.10 however relatively long wait for baggage arrival at belt after paying €35 to checkin the bag.
AircraftA320-200
RouteDublin to Lisbon
Date FlownJuly 2017

"crew utterly professional and friendly"

Verified Review | Santiago De Compostela to Dublin with Air Lingus. Crew utterly professional and friendly from the word go. They engaged with passengers and freely struck up conversation with travellers, most of whom had been there to complete the Camino de Santiago. Boarding was well organised and swift, even with only one Iberia gate agent. There was a huge amount of cabin baggage, some of which exceeded the allowance, but the air stewards did their utmost to accommodate all bags and therefore avoided bags having to be placed in the hold and ultimately delay the flight. Flight left and arrived on time. Pilots provided flight information on a couple of occasions. I always enjoy flying Aer Lingus and the crew are a credit to our national carrier.
RouteSantiago De Compostela to Dublin
Date FlownAugust 2017

"lose a day of our vacation"

Verified Review | Washington to Dublin via Boston. Aer Lingus partners with JetBlue for connecting flights in the US. Unfortunately if there are problems with the flights they both point fingers at the other and neither wants to step up and provide compensation. Our JetBlue flight was an hour late departing because they were "servicing" the plane causing us to miss our flight to Dublin. Three of us stood and watched the Aer Lingus flight in a queue, though apparently sitting in the queue was more important than waiting to board their three missing passengers (we were at the gate at departure time). Aer Lingus was unable to book my husband and me on another flight until the next evening causing us to lose a day of our vacation. The third gentleman didn't get out until much later. I have asked both airlines to provide some type of compensation. Both have refused and we don't qualify for compensation through the European rules because we used Aer Lingus's partner. So, beware of "partners." This arrangement seems to allow each to avoid responsibility.
RouteWashington to Dublin via Boston
Date FlownJuly 2017

"definitely a no frills offering"

Verified Review | I fly between Dublin and Manchester most weeks. With Aer Lingus, the flight is usually reasonably comfortable - the arrival process is often a nightmare. Arriving at Dublin late at night, the aircraft usually parks away from Terminal 2 and there is a long long walk through a labyrinth of internal corridors. As noted by another reviewer, if it is an Aer Lingus regional flight, a compulsory bus tour of Dublin Airport is added to the experience. Arriving at Manchester on Aer Lingus also involves being bussed around that airport. Last Monday, the ground crew decided to economise on the number of buses. Our bus took an age to get to Arrivals. A hot day and severe overcrowding on the bus caused some passengers to panic. Not a pleasant experience. Aer Lingus does not speak to passengers. I could not find a phone number and I am told that Customer Services doesn't have a phone. Very good for cost control and efficiency, I am sure. Not so good if they want repeat business. Aer Lingus advertises itself as Ireland's only four star airline and I think it likes to portray itself as a traditional full service airline. Where UK/European flights are concerned, I think it's definitely a no frills offering.
RouteDublin to Manchester

"Excellent flying experience"

Verified Review | Excellent flying experience from Dublin to New York return. Aircraft was nearly new, usb socket at seat, great IFE, decent leg room and recline. What stood out most was the exceptional crew, so friendly and helpful. A passenger behind me was feeling poorly and I overheard a flight attendant offering to make this passenger hot water, honey and lemon. That speaks volumes. The only issue was lost baggage which does happen frequently I believe but even still I rate the flight and airline 10/10.
RouteDublin to New York
Date FlownApril 2017

"friendly, helpful, cheerful"

Verified Review | We were delighted with our flights from Chicago to Dublin and then Dublin to JFK on the return leg. Boarding went smoothly and the aircraft was clean and in excellent condition. On our Chicago to Dublin leg the A330 was less than one year old. Entertainment system was excellent with many music and movie choices, which kept both adults and kids entertained. The newer aircraft on the first leg included a USB charging port at each seat. Food was surprisingly good, with a nice roast chicken entree offered on the DUB-JFK leg. Alcoholic beverages were about 6 Euros; no free booze in Economy. Seat comfort was actually quite good. I had plenty of leg and knee room despite being over 6 feet tall. Seat padding is a little thin, so if you are sensitive to that you might consider one of those airline seat pads. We were thoroughly impressed by the cabin crew - consistently friendly, helpful, cheerful. Unlike on the American carriers, they did not simply serve the meal and disappear. They were very helpful with our young children as well. Flights left the gate a bit late but arrived on schedule. The captain made such a soft landing at JFK that the whole plane clapped! And I should add the fare we paid was about $500 less than what AA and United were charging. The only negative was the WiFi, which I paid for on the first leg but only worked for about 30 minutes.
AircraftA330-300