Aer Lingus

"an online bid to upgrade"

Trip Verified | We flew from New York to Dublin and then from Shannon to New York. We made an online bid to upgrade our original economy class tickets to business, and successfully purchased them for a very reasonable price. A newish A330 on the outbound leg, with very comfortable lay-flat seats and impeccable service with perfect menu selections of both food and drinks. Very smooth flight too. The only complaint is that they limit your complimentary WiFi to only 400MB of traffic, and it was excruciatingly slow at times. The flight from Shannon to JFK was a complete opposite, and it really felt like we were flying a third-world airline. For some reason, Aer Lingus chooses to fly 20 year old 757-200's on this route that clearly show their age both inside and out. We were delayed departing out of SNN for about 50 minutes although this is not a very busy airport, and there was departure hold. About 1.5 hour into the flight we hit a patch of very rough air, and spent some very uncomfortable moments wondering if this old bird would make it through. The rest of the flight was smooth. Out of three lavatories in Economy, only two were operational, and boy, did they reek of urine! The seats were old-style Recaro and not too uncomfortable with decent leg room. My family's three seat backs had trouble staying up, and there was no WiFi available. On the positive note: the food in Economy was very good with decent-sized portions. Alcoholic beverages were available for purchase.
AircraftA330-300
RouteNew York to Dublin
Date FlownApril 2018

"cabin staff were extremely professional"

Trip Verified | Flew Aer Lingus from DUB-CDG and return 22 March - 26 March 2018 with a 60-strong school group. Outbound flight was hassle-free, checkin was fast and fluid with staff dealing with flights for all over Europe and North America. Bags were checked in free of charge. Though, slightly fed up at this stage of having to proceed to a T1 departure gate after checking in at T2. One of our party was quite ill on the way out and the cabin staff were extremely professional, calming and reassuring. Flight landed 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Inbound, CDG-DUB was somewhat less hassle-free. Not sure who AL’s agents are at CDG but Check-in was extremely slow with staff blaming the computer but there was no sense of urgency even thereafter. A trainee then arrived to take over from a more senior agent which slowed things further. On the plus side, bags were again taken free of charge. In the end, It took well over an hour to check us all in. Flight arrived at DUB 15 minutes ahead of schedule at 22.25 However, this time we pulled up at a T1 gate and had to wait to be bused to T2, delaying our ultimate arrival home further. T2 was opened in 2007 and I just don’t understand this practice of then having to go back to T1 for the flight.
RouteDublin to Paris
Date FlownMarch 2018

"appreciate being treated well"

Trip Verified | The flight crew was professional, the flight also left on time. The seats were a bit cramped, however the in-flight amenities more than made up for this. The food service was on point, I opted for the Shepard's Pie, which was quite tasty and chocolate mousse for dessert was outstanding. My only complaint was the price of the beverage service. I felt that at least one round of drinks should be complimentary for an international flight. In flight entertainment was satisfactory, with an engaging selection of movies. I did not purchase in-flight WiFi access. It was in the range of about 35 Euro (or somewhere thereabouts), which I think is ridiculous for less than 6 hours of internet access. I am giving the ground service an average rating. The announcements were difficult to hear, as the gate agent seemed to be whispering into the microphone. The gate agents also called people to the desk at random, which can make one nervous about being "bumped" from the flight. If you are going to call individuals to the counter at the gate, at least announce the reason, then request the names. This would give all of those waiting some more peace of mind. Also, I purchased Aer Lingus club passes during on-line check-in the night before. Apparently, our club passes for JFK were not processed due to the lounge being full, according to the agent there. It would have been nice if Aer Lingus had posted at least a note of caution on their website, that if the lounge is full, passes will not be honored. At least my credit card was not charged for this. The agent operating the lounge could have also used a lesson in professionalism. So, I have good news and bad news. Let's start with the bad news: Gate agents who needed additional training. Lounge pass policies which were not made clear, and in-flight beverage service which needs some help. I appreciate being treated well, especially as an Economy Class passenger.
RouteNew York to Dublin

"No sense of urgency"

Trip Verified | We checked in at the airport in Edinburgh to no line and the attendant at the counter checked our bags. We were not asked if we wanted the bags checked through to IAD and the flight was the next day at 12.55. The previous flight EI3255 was just landing at Dublin. We had no bags, but because we were staying the night, we had a reservation at the Radisson. We have been sitting in the Dublin airport for 2.5 hours so they could find our bags. This is terribly inconvenient and I will go out of my way not to fly this airline again. No sense of urgency.
AircraftTwin Prop
RouteEdinburgh to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Would fly Aer Lingus again"

Trip Verified | Shannon to London. Fantastic service on my flight, Cabin crew were welcoming and smiling. Seats were comfortable and plenty of leg room. Captain gave frequent announcements which were nice to hear. Boarding in Shannon was very smooth and once landed, I was off the plane and on the tube in under 10 minutes! The new terminal 2 at Heathrow is great. Would fly Aer Lingus again.
RouteShannon to London Heathrow
Date FlownMarch 2018

"no idea what we were to do"

Trip Verified | Overall, my experience using Aer Lingus airlines was very disappointing. I flew from New York JFK to Dublin with little problems. We were able to check in on time and fly on time. The leg room was much less roomier than most other planes I’ve flown on and the seats were not comfortable. However we did depart and arrive without any problems. The problems occurred when our flight from Dublin to New York JFK was canceled due to a snow storm. I totally understand why the flight was canceled and am fine with that. What upsets me is that I called Aer Lingus at various times throughout the day, being on hold for about an hour each time, and when I called Aer Lingus customer service would tell me there was nothing they could do each time. Aer Lingus customer service said to go to the airport and wait until they put us on a flight. Aer Lingus closes at night until 9am eastern standard time when they were unable to get us on a plane because they were not open for phone calls. I do not understand how an airline closes customer service for phone calls in general, but especially when they cancel a flight late at night leaving passengers with no sense of when they are arriving home. In Ireland, the time is 1300 hours, at 0900 hours eastern standard time, which means we were kicked out of our hotel with no idea what we were to do. Luckily after finding an outside source from a travel agent, we were able to get a flight to Connecticut, on Friday (we were originally leaving Wednesday), which then we had to drive 3 hours to New York. Without contacting this outside source we would most likely still not have any flight home. We had to pay for two more nights for hotels, which I understand there was a storm and flights were canceled, however Aer Lingus would still not have us on a flight. Aer Lingus never emailed us or called us one to let us know the status of the plane, we had to call each and every time. Besides being upset about the customer service telling us they couldn’t help us and closing until 9am, we were very upset with the staff at Aer Lingus airport in Dublin. We went to a Aer Lingus desk to ask a question about where the lounge was and the lady behind the desk said she couldn’t help us because we were not at her gate. This was a simple question of where something was as anyone who worked in the airport could help us, but this lady who worked for Aer Lingus could not spend one second to even point in a direction. The gate she was at was not boarding and no one was on any type of line to speak to her. Overall, I am very upset with Aer Lingus, and do not have any plans in the future to use their services.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteDublin to Connecticut

"worst customer service"

Trip Verified | Orlando to Dublin. They cancelled our return flight home and left us stranded for 5 extra nights. Directed us to their website which didn’t work. Spent over 6 hours on the phone and got “disconnected” over 12 tines. Was directed to go to the airport and they sent us away. The worst customer service imaginable. They are only after their bottom line and could care less about people.
RouteOrlando to Dublin
Date FlownMarch 2018

"Good experience with Aer Lingus"

Trip Verified | Good experience with Aer Lingus from Dublin to Miami. We treated ourselves to business class on the way back. Both flights were on time, I booked a seat with extra leg room but that wasn't such a benefit. You have to be a size zero model to squeeze into the seats as they are narrower in the emergency aisles. Fortunately I was able to swap into an ordinary economy seat. The way back was great, comfortable seat, entertainment, and the food was excellent. We managed to catch a few hours sleep. It was a nightmare going through Miami security took over an hour, chaotic and poorly organised. What a contrast with the flight from Dublin, 10 minutes and we were through even though my wife was marked down for special security
RouteDublin to Miami

"Very bad experience"

Trip Verified | The flight from Dublin to Lyon was rescheduled from Friday to Saturday due to bad weather conditions. On Saturday we had to leave at 11.40 in the morning. We waited 9 hours in the airport and in the end our flight was deleted without any reason. At the airport there wasn't the snow anymore and lot of flights left during the day without any problems, including Aer Lingus flights. I'm asking for compensation but I can't for bad weather conditions as this is not true. The assistance was very bad at the airport. Very bad experience.
RouteDublin to Lyon
Date FlownMarch 2018

"cancelled flights for no reason"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Hamburg. There is nothing wrong with the crew or aircraft but the airline itself is now terrible. A frequent flyer club that doesn’t work, customer service email never replied to, and cancelled flights for no reason. The pilot was sick, a major airline with no back up crew?
RouteDublin to Hamburg