Zoom Airlines Passenger Reviews and Zoom Airlines Customer Trip Reports

5.5 out of 10  5.5 out of 10

Add your Review

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 9 September 2008 : by Edward Impey

4 Star Rating

Sadly I was a victim of the Zoom demise having been stranded in Bermuda for several extra days and getting home via the USA after spending an extra 1590. What astounded me most was the total disinterest of the insurance companies. I should say however that my outbound flight was punctual, the food was OK and even the entertainment did not dissapoint. The premium seat was better than expected and although it was not even close to a business class experience it was worth the extra. The crew were cheerful but one got the impression they were the people who couldn't get a job with a proper airline. Basically there is room in the market for this style of airline, it just needs to be run a lot better.

28TH AUGUST 2008 : ZOOM AIRLINES COLLAPSES & CEASED TRADING

Zoom Airlines has today admitted that the company is applying to go into administration, amidst financial difficulties facing the troubled airline.  "Zoom Airlines Ltd based at Gatwick and Zoom Airlines Inc based in Ottawa, Canada, have sought creditor protection by filing legal notices of intention to appoint an administrator in both the UK and Canada," said Zoom executive chairman Hugh Boyle. The announcement was made after one of Zoom Airlines planes was detained at Glasgow Airport on 28th August for the non-payment of air traffic control charges.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 27 August 2008 : by L Mazur

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

My younger daughter and I travelled from Gatwick to Vancouver - experience was pleasant and the cabin crew great. Two of the crew in particular made our flight more special and looked after us very well. I would have liked to have placed my comments directly onto the Zoom website, but to no avail.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 20 August 2008 : by Teresa Abbruzzese

1 Star Rating

Please think twice before booking with Zoom. Read through all these comments, and you will see familiar trends. I flew from Toronto to Rome (Fiumicino), where the woman at the check-in counter in Toronto did not mention that I was way over the baggage limitation. However, when I flew back to Toronto from Rome, the Zoom check-in staff in Rome were the most unfriendly and egotistical people you could possible deal with. In order to be able to board the plane I had to pay the hefty fine of $320 Euro. So be careful, Zoom might allure you with low fares, but you will pay double the price if you go over the baggage allowance. Makes for a very paranoid journey!

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 15 August 2008 : by John Wood

4 Star Rating

Premium Economy Gatwick-Vancouver-Calgary. All flights on time, seats same size as economy but with adequate leg room, covered in black leather, padding was very good and comfortable for this class of travel. Inflight service and food very good (as good as BA), bar service superb.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 15 August 2008 : by S Jones

4 Star Rating

LGW-JFK Premium Economy. Flight on time leaving Gatwick, a little late arriving in JFK but, that was because of problems at JFK. Ground staff at Gatwick and cabin crew attentive and pleasant. JFK-LGW, Check-in efficient but lacking the manner of staff in Gatwick. Announcements re boarding were incorrect and we were not well-informed of reason for late boarding. Flew premium but did not get priority boarding and it was a bit chaotic at the gate. Staff very disinterested in their passengers and could have been much more helpful and pleasant. Onboard a rather old ex-Air Finland 757, the experience improved and cabin crew friendly and attentive. I preferred the seating of the 767 on the way out as it was a better, more up-to date aeroplane. The food was fine.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 14 August 2008 : by S Medcraft

1 Star Rating

Zoom will never have my custom again, I have just returned from New York to Gatwick. The outgoing flight was delayed by two hours with the excuse there was a technical fault - the return flight was a nightmare, 5 hours delayed with no information whatsoever at JFK. When we asked when the flight was scheduled to depart we were met with 'No idea' - the only time we got any information was when we were on board and the captain gave some excuse about a late inbound flight. Food was awful and just one meal on a long haul flight - we should have had at least a snack for breakfast. The ground staff at JFK was the worst I have ever come across one case was 4kg overweight but in total for 4 people we were underweight but told excess baggage pay up.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 14 August 2008 : by Julie Rae

5 Star Rating

The only route currently direct between San Diego and London. Zoom reviews were poor regarding delays, so pleasantly surprised as to how good this flight was. I flew premium economy and the cabin was only around half full so four seats together to stretch out. The food was a higher quality than I'm used to on flights, my experience with airline vegetarian food is that its pretty uninspired. The crew were top rate - relaxed, good humoured and helpful. A wide range of complimentary magazines and newspapers were offered.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 13 August 2008 : by Annette Price

1 Star Rating

Gatwick to Calgary 9th August. My 13 year old son flew out to Calgary as an unaccompanied young person - It was his first flight alone and I was assured by Zoom staff that he would be accompanied to the plane and accompanied at the other end to make sure he got to the right place to meet up with his friends parents who were meeting him at the other end. My son was just left to fend for himself when the plane finally landed at Calgary (3 hours late, after taking a detour to Toronto!) no one even advised him where he was supposed to go when he got off the plane. I am just thankful he got to where he needed to be eventually - no thanks to Zoom airlines. I dread to think what's going to happen when the time comes for him to return.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 13 August 2008 : by C Kinnaird

1 Star Rating

Sitting at home waiting to find out if your Glasgow to Toronto flight will leave this evening at 22.00 - 11 hours behind schedule Inconvenience to our family, 3 children tired and disappointed, a full on argument with better half for me trusting a budget airline to begin with, out of pocket expenses so far 60 for cab fares to and from airport and 30 to pay for this evenings taxi fare 3,673.59 for 5 flights premium economy hardly budget, 1 missed afternoon and evening with relatives (the whole point of this short 5 day trip). If it doesn't go ahead 1 nights accomodation in Toronto and the possibility of the remainder of our stay being cancelled by the hotel. So Mr Hinkles when do you and your company start taking responsibility for these frequent delays? Buyer beware!

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 13 August 2008 : by Steven Clark

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to San Diego in Premium Economy. I travelled to San Diego on the Friday flight with my wife and two teenage children for a 10 day flydrive break. I would estimate that our flight was around 90% full on the way out, with a mix of professional type persons, and holiday makers. The service in premium economy was better than I remember, although the quality of the food was very much standard airline fare. The purser made a point of speaking to both my wife and I and wanted to know what we thought of the service, crew, and overall experience. The premium seats are comfortable without being soothing, and legroom is adequate for an 11 hour flight. The inflight entertainment is still a let down as Zoom don't appear to have any aircraft with seatback screens, so it was shown on the old style communal screen. We arrived into San Diego around 10 minutes early, collected our bags, cleared customs, and collected our hire car in the same time it takes to get your bags at LAX. Our return flight was unfortunately delayed by 5 hours. We received an email from Zoom customer service explaining that the delay was due to a technical problem and that check in would open in view of the revised departure time. Generally my experience of Zoom's time keeping has been positive, so I was interested to see how the Zoom check in agents handled it. Clearly not everyone had recieved or read the email explaining the delay, as there were a few unhappy people checking in for the flight, as well as others who obviously wanted compensation of some sort. Once onboard the crew made sure we were comfortable, and we were treated to a spectacular view of the Grand Canyon as we flew over it. We arrived back into Gatwick a little over 5.5 hours late. Overall I'm still impressed because Zoom is a budget airline, with budget prices offering a level of service that you get when you fly other more well known names. Zoom cabin crew are a credit to the airline, and all that is missing is seat- back TV's and more punctual time keeping.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 7 August 2008 : by Bob Jeffrey

1 Star Rating

Don't fly Zoom if you're in a hurry. Flown with them twice now, first time delayed for 24 hours due to Zoom aircraft in New York. Second time the aircraft was re-routed to a different airport to "pick up more passengers". Making us an hour and a half late arriving at destination. Oh and they weren't able to serve breakfast, no-one ever did figure out why not. You might notice that the only way to give them feedback is to use their customer feedback web page which needs a login account. It doesn't seem possible to get a username and password, so they live in ignorance.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 3 August 2008 : by S Hukin

5 Star Rating

Have just returned from a week in New York. Zoom Staff both on the ground and in the air were great. I am 6ft 4 and had plenty of le room. There was probably more leg room on this flight then on a Virgin Atlantic flight I took a few years back.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 31 July 2008 : by Anne Watling

5 Star Rating

We have just returned from Vancouver with Zoom and had the best flight ever. There was enough leg room, food was excellent and service from the stewards was superb. I had had a back operation fairly recently and received great care and concern with disabled access to the plane. Zoom will be our first choice in future.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 30 July 2008 : by Stephanie Steiner

1 Star Rating

I wish the stars went into the negative numbers. Departed on the first San Diego/Gatwick flight, June 20th 2008. The flight was delayed as there was not enough food on the flight for all of the passengers. They ended up buying McDonald's Happy Meals for children on board and we finally took off. Fortunately, we were able to make our connection in Gatwick to Edinburgh, despite being late and having had our San Diego departure time changed twice from the time that we booked. That, however, was easy compared to the return. We arrived at 1005am at Gatwick, 55 minutes prior to departure. We were not allowed to board even though every email we had contained the warning that we must be there 45 minutes in advance. They thoughtfully offered to charge us 300 GBP to change to a Toronto flight and then get home from there. We paid to change, got our boarding passes (with seats assigned), and then sat to wait. An hour before the Toronto flight, we hear our names over the loudspeaker - yep, we get bumped. You mean they didn't tell you you would be stand-by? Despite the fact that we have boarding passes with seat numbers, we are no longer flying home. 42 hours and $3000 later, we managed to return - thanks to American Airlines and Southwest. Zoom customer service was despicable, to say the least. Their reply to our complaint was a form letter that only addressed one of several points raised (not once did they address the 45 minute issue).

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 25 July 2008 : by R Taylor

4 Star Rating

Gatwick to Vancouver return. We were in premium economy, more leg room than I had before. The attendants were helpful, food was nice and a relaxing journey. The flight date was changed once on us before we flew but we were given plenty of notice so this was no problem.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 23 July 2008 : by Christian Brosstad

1 Star Rating

This summer we have had some really bad experiences with Zoom Airlines flight from New York. We have tried to send a complaint to Zoom Airlines, but it's really hard. They are really making it almost impossible to give feedback - maybe it's a reason for that. It' can be hard sometimes to face your customers opinions. This is from their website: “Zoom is committed to caring for our customers from the time of booking through take-off to landing and beyond”. In real world this seems to be just empty words. We have tried to send a complaint to Zoom – even sent it to their managing director Jonathan Hinkles. Their customer service seems to be just a black hole. On our way to New York we had upgraded and were very happy with the service. When you pay for an upgrade you are basically paying for more space and sleeping comfort. On our way back to London we upgraded again and expected the same service. This was not the case. Yes, we got more space for legs, but upon boarding we realized that our seats didn’t recline due to the emergency exit restrictions. We told the staff twice about this, but they didn’t do anything about it. People in the economy section had this feature. We paid more and didn’t get that. Where is the logic in that? The main concern was that we were not informed by the ground staff and the failure to react from the air crew. If we had been informed, we would not have spent 300 US dollars for an upgrade. We didn’t get what we paid for. Another serious problem with Zooms aircraft is the toilet facilities. Both our flights with Zoom Airlines had very poor sanitary conditions. The toilets were blocked by paper and waste. Eight hours is a long flight with conditions like that. Our concern with this was that the staff didn’t clean or unblock the toilets upon being informed. How is the staff trained to deal with this? Maybe you can't expect much from a budget airline, but if they really mean what they write on their website - they should at least answer their customers. Agree?

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 22 July 2008 : by Ian Cave

1 Star Rating

Due to concerns over comment authenticity, this has been withdrawn.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 17 July 2008 : by Peter Carter

5 Star Rating

Vancouver - Cancun. Great food, plenty of leg room, two films, free headsets and a charming and helpful crew. It probably matched some of my best flights anywhere. The return trip also had a delay in Cancun, partly due to the late arrival of the plane from Belfast combined with an interesting saga of a passenger from the inbound plane being arrested for deeds committed in Canada. Again this aspect was not Zooms fault but to make amends we all were given free wine with our meals. I will book my next YVR-UK trip on Zoom.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 15 July 2008 : by Jennifer Palmer

1 Star Rating

Booked in April for Gatwick to Toronto return - by chance found out a month later that flight was coming back a day later - couldnt do that date and had to cancel return flight losing me 100 on my return flight to Glasgow with BA as a result. Then was informed 10 days before I was due to fly that flight would be via Montreal - adding another 2 hours onto our journey. Arrive at Gatwick to find that instead of flying at 2pm it would be 04.35am - was told that evening it would be 06.55am only to be told at 05.00am that morning that flight was cancelled. Decided to give up and head to Heathrow and pay 1400 with BA for two seats to Toronto. During this whole time Zoom staff had seemed to disappear - even the staff at hotel were being more helpful.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 12 July 2008 : by E Hudson

1 Star Rating

I had the worst experience in my life over the weekend. We had a 31 hour delay. The staff literally took off on us without an explanation, never provided us with food or beverages and lied to us on multiple occasions. I would spend the extra $200 and fly with a reliable company that will ensure you a safe flight. Zoom only has 5 planes, so if they can't get you out of the city, because of mechanical problems, then you are really stuck and unfortunately they promise you that they will take off soon, but it never seems to happen. Additionally their customer service representatives are based in Scotland and are conveniently unavailable or useless. Customers are treated as a joke and not taken seriously. Any problem that you may encounter will definitely not be resolved by them. You are literally left in the dark. Check their arrival times on their website and you are guaranteed to find at least one delayed flight by 8 hours (that is minimum). Trinidad flight was delayed by 36 hours, Spanish flight by 9 hours etc. Do you really want to suffer?

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 12 July 2008 : by S Rodger

1 Star Rating

Toronto to Glasgow Premium upgrade. Flight and crew were excellent, except the seats are narrow. The return flight however was a different story. Were suppose to depart at 1100 - upon checking flights on the television it showed the flight as being cancelled. Upon checking the Zoom website it showed the flight as being a temporary schedule change. I tried to call the Zoom # in the UK and got an automated recording telling me to check their website, not very helpful when your looking for an explanation. We had paid for premium upgrade and prebooked a window and center seat on a plane which was suppose to be a 757. It turned out to be a 767 and were given seats in the center section. Flight was cold and when we asked for blankets which were supposed to be included in the upgrade we were told they had all been handed out. I didn't see them hand any out. As for the meal which was served at 600 am which I expected to be breakfast, turned out to be either pasta or chicken, not what I usually would eat for breakfast. Lastly for a flight that was supposed to come Toronto to Glasgow direct, this one came in from London half full. I found this rather odd. This is our second time flying with Zoom and with an 18 hour delay on departure this time and an 8 hour departure delay last time, I think this will be our last time flying with Zoom.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 12 July 2008 : by Laura Singleton

1 Star Rating

Awful. Would advise anyone against travelling with Zoom. Delayed by 22 hours from Toronto to Gatwick. We had to get back to the UK for work on the Monday as boyfriend had started new job (the delay meant we would have arrived at Gatwick at 7am on the Monday). They sent us via Glasgow instead, took at least 12 hours longer to get home, cost us over 200 for the tickets and they won't refund us. Customer relations telephone number on internet is a fax machine, after several emails complaining they offered me 50 off my next flight with Zoom, no refund for the train tickets! I see their is a statement from the managing director of Zoom concerning Fuel prices on this website. Schedules have been changed to save Zoom costs, however I have been left with a 200+ bill - Fair?

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 5 July 2008 : by D Stoff

1 Star Rating

Due to concerns over comment authenticity, this has been withdrawn.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 5 July 2008 : by J Davidson

4 Star Rating

Glasgow-Ottawa return. Check in efficient and friendly, flights were on time with special diet meals as requested. Cheerful flight attendants and comfortable seats in economy class. Altogether a very good experience and we'll certainly fly Zoom again.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 3 July 2008 : by C Schoen

4 Star Rating

Vancouver to Gatwick return. We did not experience any delays or cancellations. The food, drink and entertainment were reasonable, and we were able to spread ourselves out to unused seats. The crew were great. The only complaint was our efforts to call Zoom by telephone, as all the lines only directed us to the website and computer access was awkward.

ZOOM AIRLINES review : 30 June 2008 : by F Compton

4 Star Rating

Excellent service - Ottawa to Glasgow return. Flights were on time, service was friendly and efficient and food was the best we've experienced on a flight in years.

4TH JUNE 2008 -  PERSONAL STATEMENT BY :  Mr Jonathan Hinkles - Managing Director, Zoom Airlines

"Firstly, I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to those customers whose travel plans have been affected by recent changes to Zoom's flight schedule. We have recently made a number of changes affecting a total of five flights per week from Gatwick to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and New York services over the course of the summer season. Other routes are operating as scheduled. These changes are solely in response to the unprecedented increase in fuel prices, which has seen oil more than double in price in the last few months. We note that a number of other airlines have made similar moves, including American completely withdrawing its services from Stansted from July and Delta withdrawing its Gatwick-New York flights from September. Whilst I recognise that it will come as little consolation to the customers affected, the need to make changes to advance flight schedules to respond to fuel prices is by no means unique to Zoom. Our reservations team are making every effort to offer suitable alternative flights to those customers booked on these five particular flights but if the available travel days offered are unacceptable then we will offer a full refund of all monies paid. Once again, I apologise to those customers whose plans have been disrupted and offer my assurances that my team and I will do our very best to assist with your travel arrangements. I can only ask for your understanding that the current fuel price situation is extraordinary and one which is affecting every airline."

Add your Review