XL Airways France Passenger Reviews and XL Airways France Customer Trip Reports

XL Airways France Customer review :  4 July 2014 by R Morejon    (USA)

Just had a round trip MIA-CDG / CDG MIA. I cannot complain about anything. The timing was right, very clean. Yes, no inflight entertainment but who does not have some sort of personal electronic device these days. Got my iPad, uploaded 4 movies for the trip, and everything went fine. The crew was very polite. The food? Way better than AA. I was able to upgrade to the Galaxy seating option. Not the equivalent of a full first class accommodation, yet very comfortable with a very good service. The price overall was not bad, upgrade included!

XL Airways France Customer review :  4 July 2014 by C Livingston    (USA)

This is a no frills operation, but they do it right. The on board staff was friendly and courteous, and the plane was clean. We traveled from JFK to Paris and returned after 10 days. It was difficult to hear and see the movies they played, but for those who read, this is not a problem. The seats seemed small and not well padded. The planes took off and arrived on time - a big plus, and we did not have to wait long for our luggage. The woman who checked us in in Paris was exceptionally nice. No complaints, and I would use this airline again.

XL Airways France Customer review :  19 June 2014 by S Saad    (USA)

14 June 2014, flight 60, CDG-JFK. Absolutely, hands down the worst airline in business. They charge for everything from choosing your seat after booking to a cup of coffee onboard. The seats are small and hard and there is very limited inflight entertainment. Food is limited and tasteless. This airline runs only in the summer and it's obvious. Save your time and sanity! Book on a regular airline. FYI New York JFK only adds to the misery.

XL Airways France Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Andreas Schinkovitz    (France)

Flight SE0056 and SE0077: What an exciting experience. If you are into Buddhism and things such as just sitting there and letting the time pass, a XL Airways France flight will just be the very experience you have been waiting for all your life. There was a 3.5 hour delay on my flight from Paris to Cancun, which could only be topped by a 4 hour delay on the way back. I have been offered a 15 USD meal voucher on the way back but not on the way out. My seat was broken. On the way out the plane could not depart because of a technical problems and an ongoing inspection, which built up my confidence in the French authorities but not in the airline. The staff were friendly and made considerable efforts to make the trip pleasant. However for what is was the price was completely exaggerated. I have chosen XL Airways France because they offered a direct flight to my destination which I thought would safe me time. I could have had a one stop flight with higher comfort and at lower price operated by Air France. Eventually this would have been the better decision.

XL Airways France Customer review :  22 May 2014 by J Jones    (USA)

JFK to CDG return on XL Airways last week. Was a little nervous after the reviews I had read but it was a very good experience. Got to JFK 2.5 hrs early just to be safe and had about a 15 minute wait at check-in. The staff was very courteous and the check-in process was very easy. The plane was a new A330 which was quite nice. The seats were narrow but nicely appointed with blue leather. My wife and I managed to get 3 seats to ourselves which made the red-eye a more pleasant experience. Attendants were very nice and the plane took off right on time. They showed 2 movies in French with English subtitles. It made the cabin quite bright so I would have brought an eye mask to help me sleep. We were fed a breakfast an hour before landing and arrived right on time. Luggage came out quickly. On the way back the plane was not as full and at check-in we were able to get and aisle and window seat with the middle blocked out. Which made for another comfortable flight. All in all it was a very good experience. It definitely is a step below most carriers in terms of amenities but the plane was clean, new and the staff very helpful. And we saved $500 per ticket for a direct flight.

XL Airways France Customer review :  20 December 2013 by B Michael    (USA)

My trip from CDG to JFK was a disaster. After an 8.5 hr flight we sat on the runway for 1 hour because there was nowhere to park according to the pilot. After getting through customs it took nearly 30 minutes for the bag carousel to start. So about an hour and 45 minutes after landing I finally get my bag. My girlfriends bag wasn't in the first round of bags. We had to wait another half an hour before the carousel started up again. I can only assume they have one cart and a small group of bag handlers. In short, we landed at 10pm and left the airport at 12.40. I will pay for a real airline in the future - it's worth the extra few hundred bucks. On top of that the seats are very small and have zero leg room, the inflight entertainment was poor, and they charged me for a half a cup of soda.

XL Airways France Customer review :  21 November 2013 by B Dacey    (USA)

Yes, XL seats are average size and yes there is little in-flight entertainment. Actually, I found the flight far better than many I've had recently and XL far exceeded my experience flying from Europe on American Airlines several months prior. The staff are quite congenial and helpful. The plane is clean and the service quite acceptable. Airline travel these days is not fun and unless you are flying first class, few airlines meet the acceptable experience we had on XL. So, if you want to get to Paris with some money in your wallet, enjoy reading, napping or other means of self-entertainment, and are not obese then I highly recommend this airlines. The comments complaining about XL's service are clearly from customers who like to complain. Flying XL is just fine so do it.

XL Airways France Customer review :  16 October 2013 by Nick Ivanoff    (USA)

JFK-CDG. Once at the airport, you will take your luggage to the shadiest check-in counter, then navigate your way to the most isolated gate at your terminal. Your interaction with staff will be brief and to the point. XL does not win any medals for hospitality. But the planes are all throw-aways from second-tier airlines. You may find that you're travelling in, say, a Garuda Airlines plane from the 80's. The seating arrangement on XL is probably in violation of at least a dozen FAA regulations, and if not, it should be. Where seats are normally arranged in rows of 2-4-2, this airline opted for a novel 3-3-3 set-up. This adds an extra seat to each row, but unfortunately the back of each seat is practically glued to the back of the adjacent seat, and as a result the armrests between seats have nowhere to lift. You will be squeezed in so tightly that if you're even moderately overweight, forget it: you won't fit. If you're taller than 6 feet you will probably hurt your knees, back, and/or neck staying in a contorted position for 7 hours. The seats don't really recline, with the exception of a few broken ones that recline too much. The rows are so close to each other that a laptop won't open with sufficient clearance to let you type on it. The food will be nothing short of revolting, but you should expect that. Bring your own water: the one you can purchase on board costs $3 for a 16-oz bottle. Want coffee? That will be another $3. They say you get what you pay for. Sometimes, however, the bargain is just not worth it.

XL Airways France Customer review :  25 September 2013 by R Ziegler    (USA)

We were booked on a flight from CDG to JFK on Sep 23, 2013 at 07.30 pm. Before heading to the airport I called to find out what terminal and was told terminal 4 by an XL representative. When we arrived at CDG there was no terminal 4 and know one knew where to find their counter. I tried calling again but was disconnected several times. When we finally made it to 2A and there wasn't anyone there to help since it was 40 minutes before the scheduled departure. I called and was informed that terminal 4 was wrong but that it was 1A which she later corrected to 2A. I'm certain that the representative didn't purposefully give us wrong information but that information caused us to miss our flight. I requested for customer service to put us on the next available flight but was told "After considering your request, we are sorry to inform you that we will not be able to give you a positive answer." As it turns out terminal 4 is where they fly in to JFK.

XL Airways France Customer review :  13 September 2013 by G Travis    (USA)

I had booked a flight Catania to Paris non stop months ago. I booked the flight because it was a non stop. A week before the flight I received an email telling me that the flight had been changed and would now stop in Palermo before going to Paris, and would therefore arrive Paris at 02.10 in the morning and would take twice as long! I called them to try to cancel the flight. It cost me close to 10 dollars because they have a phone number which charges you for waiting on the line. They then told me that the flight was still technically a non stop flight as the stop in Palermo was merely "technical" (whatever that means) and that as the arrival was less than 2 hours later than originally planned, they did not have to reimburse me. I will never use this company again.

XL Airways France Customer review :  28 August 2013 by M Smith    (USA)

Just returned after a trip with family to Paris from JFK. Check-in with e-ticket was no hassle. No pre-selection available but they were good in making sure that family was seated together. Be aware of size and weight limits on baggage but we didn't have problems. Seats no different than other carriers. The crew was professional and accommodating. The flights left and arrived on time. The food was typical airline stuff. All considered, wouldn't hesitate to travel with XL again. Saved nearly $2500 by using them.

XL Airways France Customer review :  5 August 2013 by O Yeramian    (USA)

MIA-CDG. The seats uncomfortable and you could not move since the space between the seats was ridiculously small. Seating upright, my knee touched the seat in front of me. You cannot get a seat assignment before checking in. The check in is very Slow. The baggage allowance are under all other airlines.

XL Airways France Customer review :  15 July 2013 by A Harper    (USA)

New York JFK - Paris CDG, 3 July. Was pleasantly surprised. As someone who travels a lot, I was impressed by how much of an effort FA's made to be nice. The seats were a bit small, but not more than most airlines these days and they were modern and clean. The meal was just okay, but I was not that hungry and the coffee was delicious. The money I saved was well worth it!

XL Airways France Customer review :  10 June 2013 by M Lazard    (USA)

Our trip was fine. XL got us to Paris and back earlier this month with no drama. The flight was very smooth and our party of six easily saved $3,000 over what the major carriers charge on this route. The cabin crew gets high praise for their professionalism and courtesy. We would definitely fly XL again.

XL Airways France Customer review :  20 May 2013 by S Nanavati    (USA)

CDG-JFK. New aircraft. Dinner served a couple hours after take off. Plenty filling. Seats are similar to what is found on a regional jet - less width, less legroom and they put 9 across on an A330-300. Paid $650, which is a bargain. Return flight was not full, requested a row to myself, which was granted. Video on overhead monitors - one movie and a couple shorts. Unlike JFK, boarding was by row from Paris. Flight left on time, arrived on time.

XL Airways France Customer review :  20 May 2013 by S Nanavati    (USA)

JFK-CDG. Flight left at midnight. New aircraft. No meal after take off, breakfast at landing - which was of better quality than I've been served on many American carriers. At other times, drinks were a la carte. Seats are similar to what is found on a regional jet - less width, less legroom and they put 9 across on an A330-300. BUT, the ticket price was $650, which was nearly $400 less than Air France. Flight was full, difficult to sleep due to limited recline. Audio available in each seat. Video on overhead monitors - one movie offered. Boarding was odd, no announcement so it was a free for all. Bottom line: I got to Paris with my luggage and paid only $650. The is a value airline, but I have better things to do with $400 than give it to a legacy carrier.

XL Airways France Customer review :  20 May 2013 by H Gomez    (Spain)

Flew XL Airways, JFK-CDG last week. Its a low cost airline, so you get what you pay for. Tickets are always really cheap, but it has its toll. The plane was a brand new A330 with 400 souls inside, so be patient. The check-in was probably the slowest I have seen in my life. They have a strict 1 bag, 20 kgs policy and they could even charge you extra if your suitcase is a bit big, even if its empty, so check terms and conditions before buying a ticket.. No IFE on board, no drinks or snacks, just a breakfast upon arrival. Small seats, little leg room, but for half the price than anyone else.

XL Airways France Customer review :  20 May 2013 by B Rogers    (USA)

JFK-CDG. There was no online check-in or assigned seating. My carryon was weighed - backpack containing my purse and newspaper which I had to remove so it would weigh under 5 kilos. Luggage was piled to the side of check-in which was a hint of what was to come. Boarding was a nightmare as it was first come first served and not seating by rows or sections. 2 cups of water and 1 meal later we arrive and promptly find 2 of our party's luggage missing. It appeared that over 50 other passengers where missing their luggage. It is now day 3 of no luggage and I have nothing good to say about this airline.

XL Airways France Customer review :  4 February 2013 by A Khoo    (Singapore)

We flew XL France out of Paris. Searching their website was most unhelpful. Unlike Air Asia, Tiger Air and Jetstar (all are low cost carriers in Asia), we found XL France website the least interactive with customers. Our attempts to communicate with XL France to purchase two seat upgrades met with a "wall". We had to get friends in Paris to talk to them. Otherwise, food in Premium economy was good. What saved. The day was a stewardess,who was very professional with her excellent service to all. Leaving today 2013, for Paris fm Cancun and am told by XL I can only purchase an upgrade at the airport. So it means leaving early to wait in queue. You wished XL France could be more customer friendly.

XL Airways France customer review :  10 August 2012 by A Kumar   (USA)

XL Airways France is a charter airline that has recently entered the US market. I flew SFO to CDG non-stop and paid $500 less per person, than I would have on Air France. That's considerable savings! I read you get what you pay for - well, I happen to have flown Air France also, and they are no different than XL Airways France. The economy in XLF is very similar to Air France, with the exception of IFE/ individual screens. You get two meals on a 10 hour flight - a warm meal after take off and a cold meal before landing. One my first leg, I upgraded to Premium Economy for a measly $39. The only difference is a few extra inches of leg room (barely noticeable) and leather seats. You still don't get individual screens (only in Galaxie Class or First Class). Crew is extremely friendly and bilingual.

XL Airways France customer review :  2 August 2012 by Jean-Marie Humeau   (France)

I just come back from a trip to the west coast: CDG-SFO-CDG. For the first time, I flew on XLAirways. The check-in was quite good. However, the boarding was a little bit of a mess in Paris. There were mothers with babies who had not been even taken care of. During the flight, the kindness of the crew was quite good, and its efficiency too. Seats would have leant a bit more, you could have thought you were in business class.

XL Airways France customer review :  3 July 2012 by T Kerr   (USA)

Flew SFO-CDG on 2 Jun 2012 and return CDG-SFO on 30 Jun. Good flights in both directions. Economy seats are standard Airbus seats in 3-3-3 configuration on A330. Meals are typical airline fare. No matter what airline you fly, always best to get a good pre-flight meal if in economy. One must recognize that the meal is simply to help pass the time. Whatever deficiencies others express about XL Airways are made up by the personable flight crew and the great fare prices. Check in was very efficient in San Francisco; typically Gallic in Paris.

XL Airways France customer review :  13 June 2012 by Robert Preston   (France)

Paris-San Francisco in GALAXIE Class. Friendly service, good food, decent amenity kit and I liked the films on the video player. The plane is older, but comfortable enough and the service makes up for it. The price for Galaxie is comparable to premium economy - and their service is far better than Air France. XL Airways is a great alternative and I'm glad they are doing the Paris-SFO, LAS and NYC route. Good value for money! They need to add a lounge for Galaxie and maybe think about a loyalty program. I will fly them again over AF any day.

XL Airways France customer review :  1 September 2011 by C Rochell   (USA)

I have traveled 6 times between New York and Paris over the last two years, have found the airline reliable, the crew to be friendly and efficient.

XL Airways France customer review :  2 August 2011 by M Stevenson   (USA)

My son and I have flown twice on XL mainly because we are on a budget to get to Paris. The seats are tiny and often the crew forget to translate what is being said into English. The crew in the cabin are good, considering the long flights. The meals are horrible, I recommend eating in the airport prior to boarding. If you don't mind getting up and going to find the crew, yes, there is enough water, I recommend you bring a big bottle. The first time we flew, the toilets backed up, the second time, no problems. Movies were in French only on 1st flight, that was fixed on the second flight. Overall, you get what you pay for, so I will fly them again.

XL Airways France customer review :  11 July 2011 by D Bowen   (USA)

We booked 3 tickets from JFK in New York City to Paris, France because they were a great value on an online booking service. We did not recognize the name of the airline and after booking we started to research comments of those who had used XL. Most all of the comments were bad and we assumed it would be a bad experience. Both flights were on time to the minute. The boarding was fast and easy on both ends, JFK & CDG. The airline attendants were both friendly and helpful! The food was good and there was plenty, we did not finish eating all of ours. There was enough water so don't worry about taking your own. We have to fly on a regular basis and would choose XL Airways France again. These were among the best flights we have ever had. The only down side was that the seats were small and we are small people so that might be an issue but our flight was only 7 hrs so it didn't bother us. Also we don't know French and most of the details on the Internet are in French. We were assigned our seats when we checked in but there was no problem with getting our seating together. Everyone seemed happy on our flight and I did not hear one complaint.

XL Airways France customer review :  28 June 2011 by Thomas St. Pierre   (USA)

I travelled on XL, I was worried about my trip, because there is very little information about XL. The trip was fine. We arrived at JFK 3 hrs early and were all seated together (4 of us). The plane is mostly all French. The seats were fine. The service was fine. Our return trip was the same. I would recommend the airline for those looking for a cheap flight.

XL Airways France customer review :  21 July 2010 by Vincent Leau   (France)

This company is a real cattle truck. I have taken different occasions to Corsica, Cancun. The trip is very long, the seat are too tight and flight is a horror.

XL Airways France customer review :  29 June 2010 by Ned Hopkins   (USA)

XL Airways France flies twice a week between Paris and Las Vegas. The flights are cheap - a bit over $1800 for Galaxie class, $700 for economy, both round-trip. Separate lines for Galaxie class made check-in a breeze, boarding was quick in Las Vegas, a mess in Paris. Seats in the small Galaxie class section, 27 of them on A330, were about what one would expect on a domestic AA or UA flight. Meals were decent and beverages were available throughout the flights. Cabin crew were friendly and helpful.