Virgin Australia Passenger Reviews and Virgin Australia Customer Trip Reports

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 October 2013 by C Kinnear    (Australia)

Melbourne-Bali return in September. Probably won't use them again internationally. Flight leaving Melbourne was very delayed boarding. The flight was then delayed in departing by an hour - we sat on the tarmac for that time in a hot stuffy aircraft, because 6 people had to have their luggage removed. Whilst the pilot was apologetic about this, we were not offered any refreshments while we waited and the crew seemed to care less about passengers irritation at the delay. Check in itself at Melbourne airport was an exercise in inefficiency. 4 check in staff allocated to economy class passengers, but with 4 international flights being checked in all at the same time, the wait to check in was well over one hour. Very poor. The lady who checked me in appeared to be unsure about procedures and had to refer to her supervisor standing behind her. No ability to check in online either so check in was time consuming. I received a txt from Virgin before the flight saying that the wireless inflight entertainment would be available on my flight, so I downloaded the app in anticipation - but the IFE did not work on the plane - the stewardess told me so when I asked. No apology from the captain, or the head stewardess. It was a long, boring flight up to Bali with no entertainment options and hungry passengers who expected to be able to purchase some snacks or food on board but there was nothing available for purchase. The meal was not served until 1pm (4 hours after the flight was scheduled to depart) - with nothing provided earlier in the flight other than a drink and with only 2 meal options one of which they ran out of early on. Why not have snacks available for purchase on flights of this length. Coming back on the redeye at 10.10pm was slightly better, as the meal was served promptly, departure was relatively on time and the IFE worked. Check in at Denpasar airport in Bali was a shambles. Virgin insist on your arriving at the airports to check in at least 3 hours' prior to departure time, they do not have ground crew available to check you in until 2 hrs 50 mins prior to your flight. Long queues eventuated as a result. Check in was slightly quicker than in Melbourne however. Seats on the planes were comfortable but Virgin should be ashamed of using such small planes on these flights. There were only 2 toilets available at the rear of the plane to economy class passengers (there was one at the front but the crew refused to allow even "desperate" passengers to use this, saying it was for business class passengers. There were ridiculous queues for the toilets as a result. The crew on both flights were generally not particularly friendly or helpful. Virgin used to be much better - what has happened?

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Vivili Noelene    (New Zealand)

WLG-BNE-POM-BNE-WLG. I've have been traveling VA when I go to PNG because I have no other choice. My experiences with them say they are always looking for ways to improve. The food choice is not as good, bland sandwiches, however the pies are only served on certain flights. AUD and NZD currency are both used, and credit/visa card facilities are available. Beverages, such as tea, coffee and water are free. I'd recommend paying for food in advance, as they have choices for you, and they would serve you first before others who would purchase their food onboard. I don't find the food expensive but that's my opinion, others opinions may differ. Entertainment is always good, during my flights. Their movies and shows etc are always updated, however no entertainment between BNE-POM. I find boarding flights in NZ takes so long, however boarding flights from BNE-POM are always quicker and vice versa. I once cause the flight from POM-BNE to delay 20mins, and as a result, my connecting flight was delayed as well. I was then escorted to my next gate by ground staff. VA has lovely, friendly and attentive staff. I find the planes between NZ- AUST are older, and planes between AUST-PNG are nicer and newer. You can pretty much change seats during flights if you want to. The airline is very informative and take-off and landing have always been excellent! I would definitely recommend flying with VA.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 October 2013 by D Gregory    (Australia)

Flown to Los Angeles and back to Sydney in September with Virgin. Overall experience was below average. It had the smallest meal trays I have seen with plastic cutlery which I found to be very poor. The menu was announced on the speaker which I found surprising and was extremely difficult to understand. When asked crew for a kids menu it appeared a big deal or didn't exist, most other airlines provide a small kids toy or coloring without asking. Meals were below average entertainment was ok. I hate stick in your ear headphones unlike most airlines which have proper headphones. I believe for the cost of the airline service could have been better.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Rick Tavian    (Australia)

10th Sep, MEL-LAX. Great flight, no problems, coming home on 1st Oct they had over booked the plane got asked if we would stay an extra day in LA at the Hilton LAX, with a $250 food voucher. We got looked after, the kids loved it and we went home via Brisbane. The whole trip with them was great, would fly again with them.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 October 2013 by R Read    (Australia)

Perth to Denpasar return - economy. Excellent attentive and friendly crew on both flights. Comfortable seats and complimentary meals and beverages were a welcome addition. Only downside was not having enough notice that we needed an app to use the in flight entertainment. Not a budget airline anymore.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  2 October 2013 by R Rick    (Australia)

Flying from Melbourne to Sydney. Checked in online, and still the line for the bag drop was over 40 mins. The staff at the counters are so slow and there are often a few of them standing around chatting even though there are huge lines. Eventually got my bags checked in and made it to my flight just in time. I paid extra for my return ticket from Sydney to Melbourne to be flexible. So when I turned up at Sydney airport for my return flight at 12 midday, I assumed I'd be able to change to an earlier flight than my existing 5pm. But no, all flights were fully booked so I had to wait at the airport for 5 hours. Was a waste of money buying a flexible ticket. They had spare seats in business class but would not let me have one. Will never fly Virgin again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  30 September 2013 by S Jamieson    (Australia)

Travelled Premium Economy Sydney to Abu Dhabi and return (then onward to UK with Etihad Economy). Extra space was great and crew attentive and friendly - would definitely recommend and next time would go whole way Premium Economy through Hong Kong with Virgin.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  30 September 2013 by S Goussetis    (Australia)

Travelled from Sydney to Abu Dhabi to connect with another flight with another airline. 14 hour flight with VA. 3x3x3 seating on 777, mood lighting, professional cabin crew. Food acceptable, though the plastic cutlery lets airline down to cheap budget variety. AVOD was good, Overall a good flight, Virgin Australia long haul flights are good. But small details could make them great.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  25 September 2013 by M Sherer    (New Zealand)

My experience was very similar to J Corby's, having to get a cold bus due to bad weather, had to pay for our tea, no time for breakfast or shower next morning as got wake up call at 4am, had to find our own way to airport. We should have received food vouchers, had to pay a nights accommodation at our motel for a night we did not use. Every other trip with Virgin were great, I know there is no control over the weather but I think we should have got food vouchers.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

MEL-PER, 737-800. Boarding prompt and allocated seat 3D in economy. Full flight but service was very good with breakfast offered to all passengers. Food was quite good and service top notch. The wifi system was not operational for some reason and after re-booting worked very well. Landed on time but exit from front and rear stairs in Perth via stairs. This airport really needs to lift its standard. Overall another very good flight with VA.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Andrew McGinty    (Australia)

Brisbane to LA and back, Sep 13 and can only describe the service as poor. The majority of the crew are young and very unhelpful. The food is appalling especially when you sit at rear of plane and are unable to choose what you like. The drink service is poor and on a 13 hour flight if you want a drink you go looking for them they don't come to you. I asked one stewardess for a beer whilst she was serving tea and coffee and was quite rudely told 'No, Later'. Had one beer in 13 hours. Been to the US 3 times, 1st and last time on Virgin. Inflight entertainment was good, seats bit hard but bearable.