Virgin Australia Passenger Reviews and Virgin Australia Customer Trip Reports

Virgin Australia Customer review :  4 December 2013 by Andrew-Stuart Catton    (Australia)

Travelled from Sydney to Cairns aboard a Boeing 737-800 aircraft. I was in seat 30A, which is probably the worst seat in the cabin. It's the last row of seating, in front of the toilets and offers no recline whatsoever. Three hours is a long time to be seated upright in a very narrow seat. But what I couldn't believe was that, for whatever reason, there was absolutely no in-flight entertainment. There is an app that you download to your smartphone so presumably, one can watch TV programs or movies. But that was not available for some reason. The only reason I booked Virgin to Cairns was because my last Virgin flight on this sector, I watched a movie on an individual seat back TV screen, which Qantas did not have at the time, as they still used a mainline cabin screen where everybody watched the one film at the same time. So stuck in a cramped seat, with no recline, no inflight entertainment, a poor choice of food that I had to pay an exorbitant amount for ($10 for a revolting chicken and mayo sandwich) and cabin service that was more about keeping the herd in order, rather than delivering something resembling customer service. I refuse to be spoken to so rudely by a girl half my age, just because she's wearing a uniform. So needless to say, will probably never fly Virgin on long sectors again, in case the events of this flight are repeated. Travelled Qantas on the return sector and couldn't fault a thing!

Virgin Australia Customer review :  4 December 2013 by Peter Shurven    (Australia)

My wife and I travelled Sydney to Abu Dhabi in Premium Economy seating. Perfect service but food was terrible. Was offered a cocktail pie with gravy - so much for better standard of meal. Good wine service even though the bubbly served when we got on was the cheapest they could find. We booked this fare through a travel agent, we were informed 3 weeks before our departure that we would be downgraded to economy as Virgin aircraft was being removed that day for service. Etihad service food wise much better but might use Qantas or Cathay Pacific.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  2 December 2013 by Steve Maclachlan    (Australia)

Regularly fly the Newcastle - Melbourne route amongst others. Seats comfortable, staff friendly, new IFE system using iPhone or iPad works well - I hope they keep the content updated. Don't really order much food or drink on the plane, but the free water is appreciated. I agree with the previous reviewer's sentiments about only having one flight a day - Jetstar has 3 on this route; I detest flying Jetstar, so the addition of more flights would be very welcomed by the community here. I have found tickets to be comparable if not cheaper to Jetstar for incomparable service.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  29 November 2013 by John Curtain    (Australia)

Sydney to Melbourne, 26/11/2013. Economy. A very enjoyable flight. The staff were very friendly and professional and free drinks were included on the late afternoon flight. IFE was good, but it's a pity that no music selection was included, just TV programs. Food was not included. It may be worth considering giving passengers the option of prepaying for meals when booking the flights, rather then paying by cash or card.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  27 November 2013 by K Watkins    (Australia)

I travelled on Flight VA 1179 from Albury to Sydney on the evening of Friday 22 November. We were delayed leaving and then had to detour to Canberra due to the severe storms in Sydney. We finally landed in Sydney at about 8.45 but were unable to disembark until just before 10pm due to the huge backlog of planes trying to disembark. During the 5 hours we were on the plane I must congratulate the young cabin crew, particularly the young lady who tried to keep us all informed as the delays continued. They were both very professional even when a few male passengers were very rude, demanding to get off and refusing to stay seated. The young lady ended up in tears but was thanked by most as we disembarked. I congratulate them both for keeping their cool as the situation was not the airlines fault.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  27 November 2013 by Bobbie Kondev    (Australia)

Newcastle - Melbourne return. They charge more than Jetstar and it shows. Friendly staff, on time flights and unlike Jetstar they offer complimentary coffee - a much appreciated gesture for caffeine addicts. The only improvement I would suggest would be to offer two direct flights a day rather than one, Newcastle Brisbane Melbourne is a very long winded way to get to Melbourne from Newcastle.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  25 November 2013 by J Mackai    (Australia)

Flew on Virgin Australia between Kalgoorlie and Perth on their Boeing 737-800, the flight was on time and the airline now definitely has a better edge then Qantas. The flight had individual TV's and inflight WIFI and the food was good. As part of Inflight you got to select what u were watching unlike the other rivals on this leg. Good decision flying Virgin over Qantas.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Nicholas Janides    (Australia)

Have been flying Virgin Australia extensively throughout October and November and have been very happy. Travelled from Melbourne to Sydney over the weekend on their 737-800 services and both flights were very comfortable. Staff are efficient and friendly and always smiling. I do have a concern actually with some of the their male flight attendants. Many have too much "attitude" and sadly are a reminder of the male cabin crews with their competitor, here in Australia. This is certainly a recruitment issue that needs to be watched. Otherwise, a good airline.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  14 November 2013 by W Trout    (Australia)

Mel-Lax put in seats next to young baby, plane third empty, we asked to move but it was too much trouble for the steward, we asked another who moved us straight away, food very poor, bread rolls stale, genuinely the worst airline food I have eaten. Lax-Syd again poor food but quick service for delivery/clean up although they seemed a bit put out when I asked for a drink, reply "we will serve it with dinner" wasn't really what I expected. Plane arrived late in Sydney meaning we missed our connection to Perth, we didn't know that while standing in a line waiting to check in (no information at all from cabin crew on flight). On checking in greeted by a man from Virgin who thought it was funny that we were now being sent via Melbourne and then onto Perth 5 hours later, on us getting a bit annoyed with the whole Virgin experience. Taking away the poor service, rubbish food, there was plenty of leg room and on board entertainment was good, but I cant get past the very poor service and will never fly Virgin again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  12 November 2013 by Craig Willis    (South Africa)

Score 10out of 10

MEL-OOL Return in Economy. Flight departed Melbourne on time and was allocated aisle seat in front row of economy. Offered water or juice during the meal run. Seating very comfortable with the extra leg-room. Landed on time and luggage delivered promptly. Return flight delayed due late in-bound aircraft but kept fully informed by staff. Had checked in on-line for seat 3C however found I was allocated 3E which is in the middle. Asked at the excellent Virgin lounge at Gold Coast airport if an aisle seat was available and was then offered an aisle seat in the exit row which was great. Not Virgins fault but the Gold Coast airport is a shambles! They have spent a lot of money on renovations but there are people milling about all over the place waiting to board flights. Flight to Melbourne was terrific and purchased a sandwich for lunch and again was offered tea/coffee/juice or water. Landed around 15 mins late and luggage was on the carousel when I had arrived to collect it. Overall another excellent flight with VA. The only downside was the wi-fi entertainment system was not working on both flights. Luckily had a book to read.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 November 2013 by L Nicol    (South Africa)

Flights booked for trip to Cook Islands (Raro) to fly from Sydney to Rar. Decided to pay for the works, ie food and entertainment. No problem to Auckland. Auckland to Rara we were bumped off the list and in the confusion were not allocated food, beverages or entertainment. The flight was delayed, over an hour. Cabin crew insisted we were not paying passengers. Then returning from Raro to Auckland, we were again bumped off the list, and had to wait till 99 to get seats. We were then offered exit position seat, as that was all that was available, despite having paid for the works. The best part of this ordeal was the last leg from Auckland to Sydney, probably due to the fact that it was not a VA flight, but Air NZ. Found the cabin crew mostly sullen and unhelpful.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  1 November 2013 by Lisa Dalsan    (Australia)

Sydney to Denpasar, Oct 28. Flew business class but I can honestly tell you do not waste your money with this airline. I fly frequently so I am used to a few problems etc. but this was a joke from the beginning. 8 seats which have very little recline very similar to economy. No bubbly offered apparently no longer on offer. No foot rest, my partner and I were offered two choices for lunch. One was goat cheese salad and the other was salmon however it had run out. Let's not forget there are only eight people in business? So I said I would have the cheese packet you get on flights, but no they also no longer do that either so I ate nothing. Then I was offered ice cream, which came out warm. They quickly removed them apologising. Luggage last off plane. It was embarrassing. Staff however excellent.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  29 October 2013 by David Stonier-Gibson    (Australia)

MEL-PER, VA 685. PER-MEL, VA 686. Virgin Australia (domestic) have lifted their game since we last used them. They now provide free beer and wine and a meal, at least on the Melbourne-Perth route. This is a definite improvement on the $7 chicken roll. I guess they are repositioning the brand since they bought Tiger. Being tall, the ability to pay extra to secure an exit row seat is the big decider in selecting a domestic airline.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 October 2013 by Liam McGinniss    (Australia)

Night Flight, MEL-PER. I was seated in the very back row of economy - on the aisle and pleased (at least) to have the only spare seat on the plane next to me. Soon to be seen struggling down the aisle was a parent and infant. The parent took up the single aisle seat across the aisle from me. Babe in arms. I offered to swap seats as I had the free seat next to me. Done - thanks all around- I know what it is like to be travelling with a child so was happy to provide them the extra seat space. After take off I was tapped on the shoulder by FA and escorted into business class. During the flight I was approached by every one of the cabin crew and thanked for my gesture. Surprised and appreciative - and advised by the crew that, sadly, my simple gesture was very rare indeed. Now that is disappointing! Well done Virgin Australia for excellent customer service.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 October 2013 by Joshua Chapman    (New Zealand)

No inflight entertainment, cramped seating arrangement for long haul flight from Auckland to Bali via Brisbane. Staff were very average, the only good thing I have to say with travelling Virgin Australia was that the food and beverages on offer were decent.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 October 2013 by K Barton    (Australia)

BNE-LAX. Unfriendly staff, 13 hrs no drinks offered, when I asked was told to wait as food would be served soon. 1hr later food and no drink, I just gave up. Flight home was only better because I was able to sleep most of the way - no more friendly.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Jon Moen    (Australia)

PER-DPS return Business Class. SQ Lounge in Perth a very nice touch. Flight up was delayed however made up time in the air. Food service and beverage service was up to par. Flew older 737 800. Outbound crew couldn't do enough. On the return - access to Premier Lounge, this is barely adequate with minimal food and beverages, very basic and shared by a combination of carriers. I also believe that the outside world can pay for access. To top it off they call us out of the lounge and to the holding area 1 hour before the plane had even arrived at DPS. So we sat in the holding area for nearly 2 hours before boarding. They knew where we were, why make us leave the lounge and sit for 2 hours in a holding area. Business Class should be the last to be sent to the gate for immediate boarding first, not really up to Business Class standards. The meal and beverage service on the return was adequate but sparse. There were only 8 people in business class on a 737, so if someone wants the cheese plate its not a good look to forget to bring it out. Disappointing compared to the outbound, and against recent trips with Garuda Business Class on the same route. Upgrade the plane with a better IFE system , the Ipads are inadequate and the selection is very limited. When there are only 8 people to look after, don't forget the cheese plate. Nice touch though advising BC that the forward bathroom was to be opened to the main cabin after the main meal service.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 October 2013 by J Jiang    (Australia)

I booked the flight ex Sydney to Melbourne via virgin Australia domestic. Due to the issues in Sydney airport, so many airlines cancelled the flights. Other airlines like Qantas and Jetstar provided the accommodation to their clients and gave them compensation. Virgin just informed their clients that everything was out of control, the only thing you can get from virgin Australia is only words, "sorry, virgin can not do anything to help you, you need to ring to rebook the flight by yourself!" No more Virgin for me and my family.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  14 October 2013 by S Neale    (Australia)

VA 4135, 22nd Sept. Denpasar, Bali to Perth, WA. Awful staff, delayed check-in, delayed on tarmac for an hour, no water offered, absolutely shocking food, the worst airline I've flown with. I was expecting much better from Virgin! I've never had a reason to write an airline review but I sure felt the need after the experience we had. There is so much more to tell but I've emailed Virgin direct regarding the situation of a drunk passenger in the Exit Row who was obviously unfit to sit there but who staff did nothing about but to tell us we were unfit to sit in the Exit row because of our concerns about this passenger. It was a joke the whole experience. Never will I fly with Virgin again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  11 October 2013 by G Gifari    (Australia)

VA696 on A330. PER-MEL. Virgin Australia leaves a great first impression for me as this is the first time I have flown them as VA instead of their low-cost forerunner DJ (Virgin Blue). Flight departed on-time and arrived at the destination 30-40 minutes early. Customer service manager made in-flight announcements with passion and clarity. Cabin crews were also friendly. The IFE had an extensive catalogue of music, but not so with movies. Furthermore, a 3.5mm jack in-ear headphones was provided instead of the usual ones with two jacks. The sound only came from one side of the headphones. This coast to coast flight offered a complimentary hot meal and it was a choice between chicken casserole or Thai green curry. Overall, the flight was very pleasant and I would fly with VA again.