Virgin Australia Passenger Reviews and Virgin Australia Customer Trip Reports

Virgin Australia Customer review :  4 February 2014 by Philip Mcdaid    (Australia)

Perth-Port Hedland-Perth. Work trip. Morning flight out, late afternoon home. Both flights on time and comfortable. Breakfast on outbound just OK, but complimentary roast beef wrap on return was delicious. Crew pleasant. Left my kindle on the outbound flight and it was waiting for me in lost property on my return to Perth. Would recommend as a good alternative to Qantas now.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  30 January 2014 by Tim Reeves    (Australia)

Melbourne to Adelaide one way. Booked the flight only two days before travelling and secured a $105 fare - very good value. Flight left and departed on time. Plane was an Embraer 190 - so comfortable with 2x2 seating rather than 3x3 in a 737. Food and drinks have to be purchased but this is not unreasonable given the cost of the ticket. Service was helpful and professional. One strange thing - Virgin sent me an email inviting me to bid an amount to upgrade to Business Class. When I clicked on the request, I was advised this was not possible for this flight. Why then send the email? And there were five out of six Business Class seats empty on the flight.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 January 2014 by Lewis David    (Australia)

Flew AKL-MEL as part of ADL-AKL-ADL, depart AKL 06.30 on 12 Jan 2014. Given misleading info in email about check- in times (we were far too early as it turned out). As a Velocity Gold member self and partner (on same ticket) had access to NZ lounge - very nice. VA check-in counter not listed on flight departure boards, when we found it the check-in staff member was polite but cold - maybe it was too early in the morning. Departure on-time. The aircraft was tired. Staff were indifferent. There was no IFE other than BYO with the VA App. Since the code sharing with NZ started you can get a better fare via VA and if you choose the NZ flights for the trans tasman sector you get a much better product (which on our outbound had included the NZ Works package). VA need to lift their game on their short haul internationals - the experience was lousy in comparison to their BNE/SYD/MEL - PER domestic and not as good as that of their NZ code share counterparts. Reading the reviews I get the impression that all the VA short haul internationals need some work (e.g. SYD-DPS) with attention to aircraft, staff and product offering. Why do I get a better experience on MEL-CBR or MEL-PER than AKL-MEL?

Virgin Australia Customer review :  23 January 2014 by K Piddick    (Australia)

MEL to NTL, 18 Jan on E190. Aircraft full. Counter check-in staff friendly and efficient as were the cabin crew for this 1.5 hr flight which departed on time. Having just flown a few days earlier on a competitor airline, this was a good comparison. No complaints other than seats uncomfortable. Purchased tickets well in advance at a bargain price.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  22 January 2014 by M Krishnan    (Australia)

We travelled to New Zealand and back on Virgin. On the way over the cabin was too cold and when I requested for a blanket the cabin crew said it was only for Premium economy passengers. The way back was even worse. The flight was combined with Air New Zealand passengers who get meals on board so we had to wait for 1.5 hrs until the trolley came to the aft of the aircraft to our seat, when I requested a glass of water the crew were rude saying "everyone is waiting" and refused to give water to my son saying he has to wait. I want to give zero star to all the areas but unfortunately the system is accepting a minimum of 1 star. No star for service and attitude.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  15 January 2014 by Assey Ladislaus    (Australia)

Returning to Sydney from Los Angeles, 11/1/14 (a 14hr+ night flight departure 20.55pm). My family and I went to sleep before dinner was served. Missing this, there was no food (water was offered) whatsoever until breakfast 2 hours before landing at Sydney. This makes for a 12 hour fast. On waking up, I went forward, through a curtain from economy to premium economy - to the galley area located ahead of Premium economy to ask for some disembarkation forms. I was informed that they would be distributed later. This never happened and eventually I procured and filled them in after landing. However, on returning to economy, I went past my seat to the toilets located further down in the economy section. As I was about to close the toilet door behind me a steward who I had passed in premium economy on my way back to economy appeared and informed that I was not supposed to enter another class of seating. Moral of the story - bring your own food on international flights or risk starving as food is not even available at a price in economy. All international overnight flights I have previously taken have made it a point to wake up passengers when dinner is served, and always snacks are periodically offered. Perhaps Virgin should take note.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  13 January 2014 by A Gibson    (Australia)

HTI - SYD - 2nd Jan 2014. Had a great time on Hamilton Island with the family. Arrived at the island airport to travel home and the check-in line went out the terminal, down the ramp and into the car park. After about 35 minutes we made our way up the ramp and into the check-in area. One person to check-in 150 passengers. I did notice another Virgin staff member coming and going waving a radio around, check a passenger or two and then disappear again. We had now been in line for 1.4 hours and it was apparent there was no way this plane was going to leave on time. 30 minutes before scheduled departure the staff member waving the radio around and another staff member arrived and the check in intensity increased. The plane left 15 minutes late due to the poor check-in. Once on board we were seated down the back, this seems to be where they put all the young families, a bit like a flying crèche. If the kids are going to scream, let them all scream together. Prior to the flight we received an email from Virgin to download the entertainment app for the flight. We downloaded the app but alas the entertainment system on board was not working. Being in the 2nd back row the food cart eventually arrives and there is only a few crumbs left that that the other passengers didnt want. All the decent food had gone. Maybe they could start the service at the back of the plane and then move forward or carry enough of the good stuff for all. We were offered a complimentary noodle dish but it was too spicy for the kids. Once the food service was completed they started the rubbish collection, I tried to hand over the rubbish to the flight attendant as they passed me but was told to hang onto the rubbish until they got to me later. The procedure seemed to be, collect the rubbish from the front then push the cart to the back and collect the rubbish front to back. When we arrived in Sydney our bags arrived quick and we were on our way.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

MEL-PER-SYD. A330 aircraft in excellent condition and used complimentary upgrades as Platinum Flyer for all legs. Boarding in Melbourne was on time and allocated seat 1C. Headset, blanket and pillow provided on seat and was offered a drink prior to take off. After take off was offered and amenities kit. Lunch menu was terrific with soup, main course and cheese platter, with some great wines. Movies were up to date and screen and controls were fine. Staff were attentive and friendly and offered water or drinks during the flight which arrived in Perth right on schedule. Perth to Sydney was a repeat performance with great service and delicious food. Wines on offer were also top notch. You would almost think you were travelling with one of the best Asian airlines which all have an excellent reputation for Business Class service. Virgin Australia is right up with the best. Lie flat seats are an absolute bonus for a quick nap.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 January 2014 by Aleta Bray    (USA)

My husband and I just returned from Australia and New Zealand. We have traveled many places but never on Virgin Australia. We took Delta from Atlanta to Los Angeles then Virgin Australia to Sydney, Australia and coming back we traveled on Virgin Australia from Auckland, New Zealand to Sydney then to Los Angeles then Delta to Atlanta. We were very pleased. Firstly, when we entered the plane the stewardess greeted us. Secondly, in our seats were a blanket, pillow and a gift package with earphones, earplug, eye pads and an ink pen. This packages was given to us to and from our destinations. On the way from Auckland to Los Angeles we had really bad turbulence but the pilot came on the intercom and informed us that we would have to stay in our seat because of it. This alone was reassuring and informative. The stewardess check quickly to make sure everyone had there seat belt on. The pilot did a great job because it was rough. The steward and stewardess were very friendly and tried to make our 15 hour flight as pleasant as possible.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 January 2014 by C Tee    (Australia)

Travelled business class from Canberra to Perth. Their business products were professional! The flight from SYD to Perth was on an A330. The seat pitch and width were excellent for this 5 hour flight. Staff members addressed you by last name and they showed great courtesy and professionalism. The dinner was served in a 3-course manner, and each was accompanied by different glasses of wines. They had quite a substantial drinks list too. Excellent! I was even able to catch on sleep on its angled flat seat. Loved its amenity bag too! However, its IFE Didn't have much selection. Loved their very generous baggage allowance too. Overall very impressed!

Virgin Australia Customer review :  6 January 2014 by T Maddern    (Australia)

We flew to Newcastle from Brisbane yesterday in Economy. Virgin got us there on time and safely and the seat was comfortable enough for the 1 hour flight. When choosing your seat, do not go for seat 9 a, b or c in the Boeing 737-800 aircraft - these do not have windows. The cabin crew did their job efficiently, but they weren't very warm. The aircraft we flew on had seatback TV, which we didn't use, but it's nice that it was there. I have flown in business on Virgin and there are no TV's there, they just give you a portable DVD. For economy passengers - it's buy on board, we didn't buy anything, but prices were reasonable. Things I do not like about Virgin Australia is that when pre-selecting your seat when you make your booking, the only seats that are available are the seats in the rear section of the aircraft. If you get one of these you may be lucky enough to change to a seat at the front of the aircraft when you do the web check in. I feel that Virgin Australia do treat saver fare passengers like second class citizens by only allowing seats at the rear of the aircraft when they make their booking. At major airports, the jetbridge is used for business class, full fare passengers and passengers lucky enough to get seats up to row 16. The rest of the passengers have to walk down the stairs, outside and up the stairs at the rear of the aircraft. Overall, my first choice for domestic airlines in Australia is Qantas and Virgin are a close Second.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  2 January 2014 by R Mortara    (UK)

CNS-BNE-SYD. Prompt checking at CNS and fast baggage delivery at SYD. First flight was on a 737-800. Very clean interior but seat pitch is tight. Second flight on an E-190. Once again the cabin was spotless and comfort on a par with other airlines which have this aircraft. Both sets of crews were efficient but not overly friendly. In economy you get free tea, coffee or water and can buy other drinks and food, prices of which are average for an LCC anywhere in the world. Generally I was impressed and would use them again if I return to Australia and their price is right.