Virgin Australia Passenger Reviews and Virgin Australia Customer Trip Reports

Virgin Australia Customer review :  3 March 2014 by S Dutton    (Australia)

I am a platinum member and travel frequently - mainly between Gold Coast to Melb return and Byron - Sydney - Gold Coast - although I travelled to NT / Adelaide too. Last year I took approximately 50 flights with Virgin. I mostly travel in economy (row 3), but did manage about 8-10 upgrades into business class. I would say out of 50 flights, 45 were good if not great. I would say only 5 caused problems - I had one cancelled (but put on the next flight) and a few staff members over the year that perhaps shouldn't have a job. The vast majority of staff are very good - friendly, professional and seem to enjoy their jobs. So, my experience has been very positive (I do think it helps when you are platinum / gold).

Virgin Australia Customer review :  3 March 2014 by S Middleton    (Australia)

MEL-NTL. Plane on time. Nice welcome on board by name but wasn't mentioned again like Qantas tends to do. Comfortable seat although a few more inches of recline wouldn't go astray and I would prefer a footrest. Cabin manager very friendly throughout. Meal was fantastic - a great piece of salmon and accompaniments for lunch. A fraction overcooked but it was great nonetheless. Got told they had a chardonnay when it was sav blanc. Drinks freely topped up. Offered Galaxy tabs for entertainment which I declined. It's a great business class on a great airline. Absolute bargain too as ticket was purchased during a sale.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Pierina Schneider    (New Zealand)

I travelled on 26/2/14 only because Air NZ didn't have a direct flight into Queenstown on 26/2/14. When I asked ground staff at Gate 27/28 to assist me up the airline stairs staff said they couldn't help, I was a little offended that they did not offer any help whatsoever. The flight attendants came forward and said that they would help me. But as it turned out they were not there, they later came to me and said that they were sorry about not helping but would help on arrival in Queenstown, which was great and they did. I would like to say that I am glad that the old rule about height, weight & size has been thrown out the door. It was so nice to see voluptuous women serving on the flight, with great smiles and very courteous. Seating was great as there was more room for tall people, like myself.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 February 2014 by Van Bever Kevin    (Australia)

VA 1722 from Karratha to Perth. Flight on time as usual, very friendly and accommodating cabin crew. Overall pleasant experience.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  27 February 2014 by N Roberts    (Australia)

I flew Sydney - Los Angeles - Sydney in Premium Economy. The seats are comfortable, and the help yourself bar / snack area is greatly appreciated. On Qantas you do get an enhanced meal service (Same standard as Qantas Business domestic), but the meal on VA was satisfactory. Passengers must remember this is premium economy, not business light, and the VA price reflects this being cheaper than Qantas on the same route.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Virginia Bolton    (Australia)

Flew Virgin Australia, ex Hobart for connecting flight with Singapore Airlines to Yangon, Myanmar on 1 Feb. The upside, they checked my bags all the way to Yangon, thank goodness. The downside, there was a technical fault with the seatbelts, causing a delay by 1.5 hours. Why were they not checked earlier? I did make it to Melb in time to catch my international flight (plus immigration had put on extra staff in Melb which helped enormously), however there were others who had international connections that were delayed by 24 hours. I found a staff member in Hobart to be quite curt, but the other Virgin representative was very nice and managed the customers very well. I was thrown a breakfast because it was part of my ticket, but I did not want it. Ended up handing it back to another flight attendant. Return flight from Melbourne was better, and on time (food average-dry biscuit and cheese).

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 February 2014 by G Brown    (Australia)

VA523, Sydney to Gold Coast, 21 Feb 14. Not impressed with the level of professionalism of ground staff. 1 person checking boarding passes for a loaded 737. He was doing his best. Another, a woman stationed at a counter nearby making one or two announcements including one for passengers in the rear of the aircraft to board. No one listened of course. The queue shortened and a final boarding call was made. I approached the guy checking boarding passes. In front was a man and woman with multiple pieces of carry on luggage without a boarding pass. I was frustrated and said could I go ahead and get on. The Virgin staff member accused me of not waiting my turn. On the way to my seat there was an argument between passengers over seat allocation, with crew standing and looking on. Flying up the GC, it occurred to me that true their glossy advertising, Virgin Australia are all gloss, no substance.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  20 February 2014 by John Kneijber    (Australia)

OOL-SYD-OOL in business. Easy and fast check in, good lounges at either end and priority boarding. On board the seats are ok for a short flight, much like domestic US first class. Entertainment available on a tablet or through the Virgin app on your own tablet, and the content is quite good. Catering average but forgivable for a short 80 minute flight. Good range of drinks available. In the end the whole experience comes down to the crew. Outbound we had a fabulous FA who couldn't do enough for you. Inbound the FA was fairly disinterested and did the bare minimum. These flight were redeemed on points during a promotional discount and I don't think it would be good value if paying full fare cash.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  20 February 2014 by A Dickson    (Australia)

BNE-SYD-LAX, JFK-LAX-BNE. Would recommend flying Virgin Australia. International flights were comfortable and was able to get decent sleep for a couple of hours with the use of the travel pillow, blanket and sleep mask. I was served 2 main meals and 2 snacks on the international flight and received them earlier than other passengers because of dietary restrictions. Food not flash but edible enough. Cabin crew could not be more helpful and attentive. The pilot on return from LAX kept us updated on the extreme turbulence we experienced for the majority of the trip, which was calming. Excellent array of in flight entertainment. International flights weren't sold out which meant I could lie down across 2 seats. Check in and arrival was smooth. No delays. Aircraft comfortable, spacious and quiet. Have booked Virgin Australia again for my holiday to Fiji and always fly with them for domestic flights with no dramas.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  14 February 2014 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

Melb-Hobart Return. Both flights on time and Melb to Hobart leg on Embraer 190. Service was excellent with great cabin crew and pilot was pointing out scenic parts of the flight. Return left slightly late but again crew were fantastic with the lights turned down for take-off and as we were not landing until late in Melbourne the view from the 737-800 was fantastic. Overall another great couple of flights with VA. Their check in staff at both airports were also great and as a Gold Flier with VA I really appreciate the Priority lines.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 February 2014 by V Naidoo    (Australia)

VA342, BNE-MEL. The pleasant service at the Virgin Australia lounge continued on board the flight. On arriving I was offered a choice of a refreshing non-alcoholic cocktail, water or coffee. The seat was spacious and comfortable, even without reclining. The 4.55pm departure meant that a "late-afternoon snack" was served, with a choice of a cold meat platter (which I found to be delectable) or vegetarian enchilada on offer. The IFE included use of the "wireless in-flight entertainment" as well as complimentary use of a Samsung tablet. The tablet was relatively user-friendly. Overall, I was very pleased with the service and highly recommend it to anyone.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  10 February 2014 by Brian Corrigan    (Australia)

Flew Melbourne to Coolangatta on Sunday 9/2/14 with this airline and never again. The flight was sitting on the ground for over an hour, we were moved to different parts of the runway and 55 minutes after the scheduled departure time we had wheels up. What was so disappointing with this flight was that the crew never switched on the A/C whilst on the ground so we sweltered in 30* heat, no updates as to what was happening and then when I asked for a sandwich, I was given an egg sandwich which I asked if there was anything else! She promptly said no. Also Virgin Australia never leave on time.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  5 February 2014 by D Chernoff    (Australia)

Phuket - Perth, VA 4148, Business Class, 1 February 2014. Probably one of the best business class experiences I've had for some time. A beautiful new 737-800 with a small business class (2 rows of 2-2). Upon boarding, I was greeted and shown to seat. Samsung tablet, earphones, pillow, blanket and amenities kit already placed on seat and in seat pocket. Offered pre-departure drinks (no champagne on board) and soon after take-off beverages of choice. Passengers were offered the meal service at any time throughout the 6 hour 15 minute flight and a cheese and fruit platter at any time after that. Nice not to be rushed for once. Drinks were continually topped up and cabin crew checked on passengers needs constantly throughout the flight. The crew were attentive, friendly and professional and must be complimented on the superb level of service they gave to all passengers in this business class cabin.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  5 February 2014 by Warren Prince    (Australia)

I travelled from Canberra to Sydney and the next day onto Port Macquarie, overnight and then returned to Canberra via Sydney. That is when the problem began at check in at Port Macquarie. As one company was paying for my CBR-SYD sector and the other was paid by another company I was on two different itineraries. I was told that they could not check me through to Canberra and that I would have to re-check at Sydney. Doing the right thing checking my cabin bag as it was over the prescribed weight. That day the weather was diabolical in Sydney closing the airport for some hours which caused chaos. Arrived late into Sydney and held on the ground, engines running for about 2 hours, I was assured that I would make the connecting flight. In short I missed my connection to Canberra as the check in was so over loaded and too few staff to handle it. I was then told I would have to stay at the airport all night (not likely) as there were no hotels left in Sydney. As I say I am now not one bit loyal to any airline, I shop for price and convenience.