Virgin Australia Passenger Reviews and Virgin Australia Customer Trip Reports

Virgin Australia Customer review :  23 May 2013 by Jacqueline Lynch    (Australia)

Sydney - Los Angeles and found it to be the best international flight I've taken. I am not the best flyer but a flight attendant was more than happy to come and speak to me to calm my nerves. Flight attendants friendly, the plane itself was modern and spacious. Inflight entertainment was great and I never felt hungry as we received 2 meals and snacks whenever we needed them. I would definitely fly Virgin in the future.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 May 2013 by P Hartney    (Australia)

SYD to LAX and return. VA1 and VA2. First flight seated near rear of plane had 3 seats to myself. After having a very nice meal served with a nice white wine by even nicer flight attendants. I waited for what I considered to be an appropriate period of time for another passenger to move into one of the spare seats beside me. However when this failed to happen I felt it only reasonable that I spread myself around and with my 3 pillows and blanket, lay down and get a nice nap for about 9 hours. Return flight had an aisle seat with a spare beside me and was able to get some sleep which I usually don't do well whilst in an upright seat laid back. Economy seats on VA 777's are one of the better seats around. However there is always room for improvement on any airline seat. Flight attendants were very attentive and ready to give you a smile. All in all I will continue to use Virgin Australia as I can't fault them.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  20 May 2013 by Alan Tang    (Indonesia)

Took return flight from Sydney to Hobart and really enjoyed the trip. The price was very reasonable and the cabin staff were very professional and friendly. Check-in process was quick and easy. I will definitely recommend flying Virgin Australia as the service has improved a lot since my last flight with them in 2011.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  14 May 2013 by T Thompson    (Australia)

SYD-LAX. Poor service, had to chase drinks, when crew went for their break warm water was left on shelf next to toilets for you to help yourself. Return no better. Again to hydrate during trip water was on shelf next to toilets but was again warm due to being under a light in a confined space. Other airlines at least have the water come through a dispenser, not Virgin, it is left in a jug for anybody and everybody to help themselves to and breathe and cough all over. Food was very average. Blankets supplied and appreciated as was very cold during flight.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 May 2013 by E Watts    (Australia)

I have flown with them a lot since they launched. Lately however I have noticed a distinct downward spiral in their service levels. I flew SYD–DPS return last week. The flight over is ok as its during the day. Take a book or your own entertainment as they have removed the seat back TVs. There are no ipads available either, so its staring at the back of a seat for 6 hours. They do now serve a free meal, however it is tiny and looked pretty bad. I opted not to take the meal. The main problem I had was my return flight. It departs at 10.10pm from DPS arriving at 6.10am SYD. Being an overnight flight, you would hope that there is a blanket and pillow for you. There wasn't and the flight was freezing. Again no ipads available. Staff were nowhere to be seen, and when they were seen were irritable. Service levels need to improve. One last issue was the pilots didn't address the plane at all. Its a small free service which would make a big difference!

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 April 2013 by Sanjaya Kuruppu    (Australia)

Recently took a flight with family (including 4 yr old daughter) from MEL-LAX-MEL. Overall good value for money. Aircraft very clean and IFE good. Above all cabin service was excellent (much better than Qantas I must say) and crew were attentive and helpful. Meals were pretty average airline food and seats were a bit cramped. But I will fly with them again when the situation calls for it.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 April 2013 by C Willis    (Australia)

MEL-BNE, front row of economy due Platinum status and was offered breakfast wrap with coffee. Arrived in Brisbane on time and baggage delivered promptly. On return decided to use upgrade and allocated seat 1D for return. Dedicated crew for business passengers, welcomed onboard by name and offered juice or water prior to take off. Once underway the service was terrific. Onboard snack was either a warm tart with salad or smoked salmon with fresh fruit. Coffee and tea also offered and water runs wre regular. The entertainment is via tablet - however the earplugs provided aren't up to scratch. Hard to hear the movie and spent some time trying to adjust the earplugs.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 April 2013 by D Fang    (Australia)

Flew ADL-MEL-Gold Coast last weekend, Gold Coast-SYD-ADL on the way home. Virgin, you need to work on your connecting flights - booked online, so I assumed I would have enough time. On the way there, 15min delay, was assured by flight attendants that I'd have time to make it to the gate - wrong, I sprinted from one terminal to the other, and they told me the gate had shut. Young lady at the gate got me a flight first thing the next morning and arranged accommodation. On the way back there was a 5min delay and the only reason I made my connecting flight was that the gate was the next one down. Apart from that - seats are a bit rigid but not too bad, didn't buy any food or drink.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  24 April 2013 by K Pardoe    (Australia)

ATR 72, TSV-CNS. Very nice interior of aircraft, but seat was feeling uncomfortable at the end of the 50 minute trip. Was served a snack and choice of cold drinks including water, juice, beer or wine. Never had anything like that on Virgin Blue.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  22 April 2013 by P Ellis    (UK)

We travelled on several flights from Sydney to Cairns to Ayers Rock to Melbourne in March 2013. All flights were pretty much on time, planes were quite clean, and cabin staff pleasant. Drinks and snacks were well served. We booked extra legroom on all these flights, and being by the wing exits, these also had the advantage of no recline intrusion from the seats in front. Check ins were good, and one admin error on one leg was dealt with without a drama. Prices were OK, and we'd gladly travel Virgin Australia again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  15 April 2013 by Craig Willis    (Australia)

MEL-ADL-MEL. Quick trip to Adelaide from Melbourne. Embraer 190 on MEL-ADL leg. Great aircraft and staff were terrific. Flight left on time and landed 5 mins early. Flight back to Melbourne was half full and ended up in aisle seat with no one next to me. Again staff were great and served an excellent breakfast with fruit and nuts, fresh milk and an apple. Virgin lounge in Adelaide very good with pancakes and juice with fresh fruit.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  15 April 2013 by Therese Stafford    (Australia)

Travelled with VA as the final leg of an Etihad booked return flight between Sydney and Dublin. The difference between the Etihad flights and the VA flight is immense! Upon boarding the staff are cheery, relaxed and friendly. All of your amenities, a blanket and a bottle of water are waiting at your seat and they immediately walk through the cabin before take off asking if anyone needed anything else. The plane was comfortable, nicely lit, temperature was fine, food was delicious and the staff passed through the cabin regularly with drinks. There was a small snacks section at the rear of the cabin with plentiful snacks, drinks and a water tap. The entertainment system wasn't as vast as Etihad's in terms of choice but everything else about the flight was so pleasant that it really didn't matter. Highly recommend Virgin Australia and the only shame is that they have partnered with Etihad and I will absolutely not fly with Etihad again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  15 April 2013 by Jesse Oey    (Australia)

VA813, MEL-SYD, 2 April 2013, early morning flight. I was quite impressed with the refurbished Virgin Australia terminal in MEL's T3. My seats were accidentally mixed up during check-in and only 3 check-in counters were available even though there was a substantial queue. I went to the service desk and the friendly gentleman there was happy to switch my seats back with no hassle. The boarding process was smooth and organized, and the flight departed on time. Complimentary drinks were provided and the FAs were generous in offering refills to passengers. No personal screens or IFE but I didn't mind since it was a short flight. Overall a pleasant experience, will definitely fly VA again in the future.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  5 April 2013 by F MacKillop    (Australia)

BNE-SYD-DPS. Flight from Brisbane to Sydney 45 minutes late, no one at Virgin transfer desk to assist us, had to run to make connection in nick of time. SYD-DPS, freezing cabin and no blankets (a very uncomfortable 6 hour flight as a consequence). Food (for which you had to pay) terrible, choice between 3 items. Ended up paying $40 for very poor snacks and drinks for two. If you are going to operate as the lowest of the low-cost airlines, then please at least be low-cost! No inflight entertainment of any kind, as this is 'considered a domestic flight' one of the cabin crew told me. Seats narrow and poor legroom.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  27 March 2013 by David Bond    (Australia)

Flew MEL-SYD return in Feb. Comfortable seats, but nothing else would make me want to fly this airline again. Similar airfare to QF without the food. A budget airline masquerading as a full-service airline.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 March 2013 by F Iwama    (USA)

Premium economy on 02/16/2013 and returned on 03/06/2013. LAX to Brisbane outbound, and coming back from Sydney to LAX on board 777. Pros: Newer fleet of planes and onboard entertainment system has a good amount of selection. Ambient lighting inside cabin in nice. Planes are clean. Noise cancelling head phones are effective. Cons: The seat cushions in premium economy even after their recent redesign a few months ago are terrible. My traveling partner and I could not find a comfortable position as the bottom seat cushion have padding that is very hard that does not have any give. I could not sleep inbound or outbound on these overnight flights. On our return flight, we purchased some air filled cushions at the airport to try and help the situation, but the design on the seat is so poor they helped very little. Food service is the same as economy. Food quality was poor. Inconsistent on-board bag policy. We knew about weight restrictions for checked baggage and followed accordingly. However, on our return flight we were asked to placed our on-board luggage on the scale. I have never had another airline weigh our overhead carry-on bags. Service is mediocre. One round of drinks, a meal, flight attendants walk down the aisles for a glass of wine, snack, then another meal. No other drinks offered by the flight attendants besides port/brandy at night. The snack bar is just filled with a couple bottles of white/red wine, no premium liquors, and chips/cookie/popcorn/pretzel bags.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 March 2013 by R Menghini    (Australia)

Sydney-Perth. Excellent service, found the food delicious and the entertainment system allowed for sufficient choice. The seats were comfortable, but best of all the flight attendants - they made you feel welcome and were friendly and efficient.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 March 2013 by B Williams    (Australia)

SYD-NAN return late February/early March. Outgoing flight was operated by a reasonably new 737-800 and was less than half full. The seats were quite comfortable with adjustable headrests. Travelled on a flexi fare, which meant that entertainment and food was included. The IFE was ok - the choice of movies was limited, but what was available was pretty good (probably worth the $15 if you travel on saver). The food though on both routes was absolutely disgraceful. On the way over I was served with a Luke Mangan egg, lettuce and mayonnaise wrap. It tasted disgusting and the label said that it was 5 days old. On the way back, it was an egg, lettuce and mayo sandwich, which I refused to eat. The meal was finished with a cookie and a pack of M&M's. Do not purchase a Flexi Fare! Return flight was operated by an old 737-800 with old and uncomfortable seats. The crew on the flight back were pretty inefficient and rude. Some of them even had a nap in the back row - seemed a bit much for a four and a half hour flight. Virgin Australia is really just a low cost airline and I would only recommend it for one or two hour flights. Based on the quality of the food I definitely would not fly VA to LAX.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  6 March 2013 by Katerina Fulerton    (Australia)

Brisbane-Denpasar. I used to fly with Virgin quite often just because it was the only direct flight to Bali from Brisbane and it used to be affordable. But the prices have raised and the quality is still the same. Their flights are often delayed and there is never any compensation. Food on the plane is expensive and disgusting. The worst is the staff. They come around with drinks once or twice during a 6hrs flight and the rest of the time they are asleep or watching movies. There is no entertainment on the plane. They charge the surfboard (5kg) as a 23kg bag (it has been changed recently after many complaints). Before they were at least cheap. Now the flight to Bali is quite similar in price to Singapore airlines. So never again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  6 March 2013 by U Anthony    (Australia)

Sydney-Christchurch on 737-800 Premium Economy. Boarding was friendly and quick using priority lane, priority pass given for immigration. Use of Koru lounge in Sydney, good offerings friendly staff although lounge is really starting to show its age. Boarding was fast and organised. Aircraft was painted in Pacific Blue colours but was refitted inside with the new Virgin Australia scheme. Premium Economy seating was roomy. The cabin supervisor greeted me by name and sat down and explained services and catering, I was very impressed and chose what I wanted and at what times. Flight was great, inflight entertainment was a portable player but I declined as had my own tablet. Cabin staff were excellent and I could not fault them. This flight was excellent and highly recommended.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  26 February 2013 by R Howe    (Australia)

Brisbane to Perth. This is a 5 + hour flight and absolutely no in-flight entertainment available at all. Luckily I had my book. Meal was served as its a 5+ hr flight and food ok. Flight on time.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  22 February 2013 by M Lachlan    (Australia)

Midday flight from Sydney to Melbourne. No queue to drop our bags off which was great. Flights times kept changing until we started boarding 45 minutes after scheduled time. Boarding slow and painful due to the lack of staff and the process in which they board the plane. I thought the staff were nice. Business class is separated from economy by a sheet of tinted glass. Real business class service such as Qantas would have curtains and solid wall to separate business class which I much prefer. Since I am over 6ft tall I won't complain about the leg room. Food served quickly after take off. Food is expensive on Virgin and I just went for the free coffee. Unlike the new 737-800,s this old aircraft still have television screens on the back of seats. Some channels are still available to watch and it kept me occupied until we got to Melbourne. When we landed we walked out the back and went into the terminal to get our luggage. Virgin need to catch up in customer service.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  21 February 2013 by A Huggett    (Australia)

Sydney-Hobart-Sydney on 737-800 and E190. A mixed bag. I can't quite figure out VA. Aircraft's are modern and the refurbished interior including seats look and feel great. Plenty of legroom. The 737 had the old "live2air" seatback entertainment. The E190 had no entertainment. Food was only available to purchase on these flights, but if I was travelling from Sydney to Canberra or within WA some snacks are complimentary. My return flight departed on a Tuesday at 5pm and beer and wine are offered complimentary between 4pm and 7pm - but only between mainland capitol cities. Overall, I don't mind flying VA, but it would be good if they could create some consistency in their product.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  20 February 2013 by M Davies    (Australia)

Melbourne-Hobart-Melbourne in Economy. Had only carry-on bags and checked in online, so we were able to bypass the horrendous queues at Melbourne Airport. Flights were 45 and 30 minutes late departing Melbourne and Hobart, respectively, and there weren't any updates - either to the departure gate display boards or by way of public announcements - to waiting passengers at either airport, resulting in many people approaching the departure desks to query staff. During both flights, flight crew apologised for the late departure, which was said to be due to 'delays with incoming aircraft'. Apart from those aspects, the flights were satisfactory; very clean aircraft, comfortable seating and friendly and competent cabin staff. There isn't a great range of snacks on these mid-morning flights but what is available is likely to be sufficient for most passengers given there's only about an hour's flying time in each direction.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  20 February 2013 by Natalia Beaumont    (Australia)

Sydney to Bali, Bali to Sydney. Very poor service, unfriendly staff, no radio or TV on board, food is not included and what is offered for additional charge is of a very low standard. On the way from Bali we were stuck at the airport because there was no information of the board about check in counter or gate number. We were waiting 1.5 hours, and only after asking someone (no information desk) we were referred to counters 53 to 57 where Virgin normally does its check in. After going there we found that the check in was almost completed. We were the last couple in the queue, although we arrived at the airport 2.5 hours in advance. Staff on the plane were unfriendly, we were sitting at the back of the plane with a few vacant rows behind us. I have requested a flight attendant to let me occupy a row behind us so we could stretch and sleep through overnight flight. She said that she would let me know. However, other passengers and crew members occupied those rows and I never was allowed to go there. It was freezing cold on the plane, but no blankets were offered to the passengers, although all crew members had their jumpers and blankets on. I would never fly again with Virgin and would never recommend it to other people.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  14 February 2013 by Karen Baratta    (Australia)

My daughter and myself recently traveled to Bali on 29/01/13. I was very disappointed in the service we received. The flight was not full, quite a few empty seats. The cabin crew only came through once to offer refreshments and anything else we may have required we had to use our buzzer to gain their attention. Seeing it was a 6 hour flight I assumed we would have had better service. At one point I did enquire if they had any paracetamol available, the flight attendant said yes and went to get them but she never returned. I feel we were an inconvenience to them rather than part of their job. Very disappointing.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  13 February 2013 by A Freeman    (Australia)

First time travelling in business class on a flight from MEL to MCY. Cabin supervisor was polite, very approachable and looked after the needs of all in business. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the crew members. Comfortable seats, great spread of food and endless drinks. The Samsung player was good. First one was low on battery, but was quickly replaced. Headphones were of sufficient standard. However, I did end up swapping for my own personal set. Always a pleasure to travel with Virgin Australia.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  13 February 2013 by K McNamara    (Australia)

Arrived at Sydney Airport for our flight to Townsville 1.5 hours before our flight departure time and joined the most horrendous queue that snaked almost out the door. Absolute chaos in the terminal and people just making up lines ad hoc. We stood and waited. We had a 10.05 am flight and at 9.40am we still had at least 15 people ahead of us in the queue. Listened for announcements regarding our flight - nothing. Finally I pushed my way to the front of the line in order to flag a passing Virgin staff member who was milling around. She ushered my husband and I to a counter, had a quick check on her screen and said 'Nope, you've missed that flight, you should have checked in by now'! She tried to tell us that there were numerous announcements for passengers flying to Townsville to approach one of the end counters. We demanded to speak to the supervisor on duty, she eventually conceded that sometimes when they are 'experiencing high passenger volumes' that some things (like relevant PA announcements about flights) can be overlooked! We got put on another flight via Brisbane and were given $60 in meal vouchers of which we used $16 on the flight to buy a couple of cans of drink and some chips - not much else available! Don't just stand in line assuming that Virgin will let you know what is going on. If you can see that time is passing and you are still not checked in, go to the head of the queue and ask what is happening otherwise you may have your flight closed too and depending on how booked subsequent flights are, you may even get on the next flight.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  8 February 2013 by M Charlesworth    (Australia)

MEL-DPS on VA4153, 02/02/12. Flight time to Bali 5.45. Load factor about 75%. First time flying VA International and was pleasantly surprised. Flight was on a Boeing 737-800 used for domestic flights but it was spacious and comfortable with the new Boeing Sky interior fitted on newer 777's. Traveling in a party of 5 adults and one infant aged 8 months, the crew were fantastic with the baby, engaging and nothing was too much trouble. Will definitely fly Virgin on International Short Haul again.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  6 February 2013 by Schuerch Hans    (Australia)

Brisbane to Sydney, DJ958 on 27/1/2013. Scheduled flight departure 15.00. Flight departure was constantly changed and by 18.00 the flight was cancelled (BNE bad weather). Rebooked on flight VA9842 due to depart at 19.05. Boarded this flight and eventually left the terminal and got as far as to the runway. Aircraft returned back to the terminal again around 22.30 after sitting for 2 hours on the aircraft. I am assuming the real reason for the return was the fact the aircraft would not have made it to Sydney before the 23.00 curfew rather than as claimed the bad weather. No refreshments offered on the aircraft and had to ask for water. After disembarking Virgin staff disappeared. No assistance from anyone and customers were left to fend for themselves.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  4 February 2013 by G Burns    (USA)

Never again! LAX-Sydney Connecting flight was slightly late but they gave up my seat to another passenger. Finally got on after extreme protest and onboard was OK. Ground staff at LAX were the most rude I have experienced.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  30 January 2013 by Nicholas Janides    (Australia)

Two excellent flights with VA from Melbourne to Adelaide to Melbourne over Australia Day Weekend. Unfortunately, both flights were delayed due to the floods in FNQ but this was not VA's fault. The airline kept us up to date throughout both delays. I was very impressed with the cabin service - the new uniforms look very smart as do the new leather seats. I love the interior colours and the purple perspex separating economy and business class.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  29 January 2013 by Ross Young    (New Zealand)

Wellington-Brisbane-Denpasar return. Tried to leave Wellington on Monday flight VA0067 to Brisbane on the 21/1/2013. Arrived at the airport at 4 am and was told that the aircraft had broken down as was going to Christchurch to be fixed - advised to wait until the afternoon flight. We didn't get on the afternoon flight and left the following day, no apology nothing. Tried to leave Denpasar, 27/1/2013, VA 4196 - waited 2 hours in the queue where the computer crashed time and again. The only time that those waiting knew something was when a passenger went onto the Virgin website and discovered that the flight was delayed 6 hours. Ground staff had no idea what was going on and our baggage has never been seen again. Virgin advised they would supply lunch and dinner and it was the same food for both, a sandwich, rice or noodles. As a result booked into a transit lounge to get away from the hard seats and the hoards of disgruntled passengers. Arrived finally in Brisbane, yes there was a storm but again ground staff could not care.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  29 January 2013 by K J Voss    (Australia)

I have flown several times in business class and found the overall quality and level of service acceptable. My business partner has recently flown Brisbane/LA in Premium Economy Class and commented the level of service and seat quality was below average. Shame they stopped the Brisbane-Phuket service that was good.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 January 2013 by Bev Brough    (Australia)

Travelled to Christchurch on 14th January finally after waiting at the airport from 5am till 7pm. Disruptions were caused by new checking in system and a plane that broke down. We did initially leave a couple of hours late but turned back because of something wrong with the plane. Virgin staff seemed unable to cope when something goes wrong and communication with passengers was almost non existent. After quire a few hours we cancelled our accommodation and booked in at Christchurch, also had to contact rental company. All in all a very bad experience and cost us plenty. Perhaps Virgin could look at the checking in system at Christchurch where you book in and print your own boarding pass. Excellent and fast. Suggestions for coping if this happened again would be to train staff in procedures when things go wrong, put passengers with no booked luggage on other airlines, communicate with passengers and give constant updates.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 January 2013 by G Young    (Australia)

Cramped seating, no room to move - couldn't put tray down when passenger in front reclined - very restricted and uncomfortable. Would be helpful if staff spoke to passengers in this situation and asked that they consider others.

Virgin Australia Customer review :  28 January 2013 by Carole Spencer    (Australia)

I understand that delays at airports cannot be helped but the way that passengers are treated during the delay certainly can be. Travelled yesterday from Denpasar and the treatment of passengers by the Virgin ground staff and Airport Security was disgusting. Flight was delayed 6 hours and we were held for most of that time in the boarding lounge which was a hot and sticky area with no access to water. No information provided as to what was going on or how long the delay was going to be. People trying to leave the boarding lounge to buy water were prevented by Security Staff. Felt like we were being held almost captive within the boarding lounge and it was only when a few passengers started getting very angry that finally after 4 hours we were given transit cards and allowed out into the main terminal for a drink. I cannot understand why water cannot be made available in the boarding lounge, particularly under circumstances such as this. In my experience, Denpasar Airport is the only place where water is not made available in boarding lounges, even for sale, and of course the tap water in the bathroom is not drinkable. The pilot was most apologetic but he was nowhere to be seen during our waiting time on the ground. Once we finally were in the air, we were offered a free drink - small compensation, I say.