Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Issac Chung    (Hong Kong)

Excellent trip with Virgin Atlantic, flight VS 200 from Hong Kong to Sydney. 1) The price is lower than others. 2) The food was very nice and tasty. 3) The flight attendants were very nice, friendly and helpful. They had a smile on their face the whole trip. 4) On-time performance was very good. 5) Nice Entertainment - plenty of choices of movies. The only thing I don't like is the seat - a little bit short for seat pitch.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 September 2014 by M John    (USA)

Round trip from LAX to Heathrow - I was pretty satisfied with the them. If you fly economy with them the extra legroom seats are a must. It's only 3 inches but it's shocking how much difference it makes. That said I still tried to upgrade to PE but it was full. The outward leg was on the 747 named Lady Penelope (the oldest 747 in their fleet). It couldn't be more obvious that they are phasing these planes over the next year or two. The interior was worn out and broken down, looking every bit of its 25 years. Service was normal and polite as usual and we were no worse for wear upon landing. The return journey though was quite enjoyable in the same EXLR seat on a A340-600. Again PE was full while the UC seems like it takes up half the plane, looked half empty. The interior was much better but the IFE is woefully dated and almost impossible to see in anything but complete darkness. I feel like I'm ticking off a lot of negatives but really it was the return journey service that stood out. All the ladies on VS23 (13/09/14) were polite and helpful. They were moving through the cabin the whole trip checking on passengers while offering water and juice 3-4 times in between meal and snack service. I rang the bell and the flight attendant was there in seconds. Maybe this kind of attention is normal on other airlines such as Emirates or Cathay Pacific but I have yet to experience it. I just know on this particular flight I felt like I was treated like an UC passenger. Once Virgin turns over their fleet and moves to the 787-9 they will be back up in the upper echelon of European airlines. They have the staff and style, it's really just the equipment that's holding them back as they have few new planes in their inventory. Until then I would be open to using them again if the chance arises.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by J Whaley    (UK)

I don't usually complain but feel Virgin need to up their game to match the reputation they have earned. My partner and I booked a package with Virgin holidays to New York from London Heathrow. We booked with Virgin specifically because of the reputation and quality assurance it gave us and didn't mind paying the extra for that added security. Having just returned I can say that while I am thankful we arrived safely each way, the experience was nothing special and was actually comparable to a budget airline. Leg room is not great and we both had problems with our entertainment systems on each flight. Food was ok at best on the way out but was terrible on the return (and my expectations of the food were by no means high). The organisation of the return flight was a sham, people being moved into other people's seats which caused a domino effect of problems with one young single traveller being asked to move three times to accommodate others. The most disappointing part for me was the poor attitude of the staff, particularly on the return leg. A simple request for a soft drink left me feeling that I had very much caused an inconvenience and left me feeling reluctant to make any further requests. Our experience has been poor and regretfully I will not choose to fly with Virgin again. Our best experience for long haul flights to date has been with New Zealand Airways (London to LA). Lots of work to be done at Virgin sadly.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by P Ryan    (USA)

I had an excellent experience with Virgin. The only trauma was Orlando International Airport security lines. I have never seen such a disorganized hopeless mess in my life. But to the flight. Since it was my first time, I wasn't going to blow money on Upper Class. I wanted to find out what Premium Economy was like first. It lived up to its little video on their site. The boarding was quick and easy. The flight attendants on the way out were friendly and helpful and the food was surprisingly tasty! One of the best meals I've eaten for not being in business class. It felt like a short flight, which is something I cannot say too often on a long haul transatlantic flight (I usually travel through Tampa). The return flight was less impressive mostly due to the seat I got, but the service was still just as good and the food again quite tasty. All in all, a very enjoyable trip with Virgin - and how often can you say that flying these days? Didn't get to see their upper class but will get the opportunity to do so at Xmas. The leg room in PE is the same as a first class domestic flight. You don't feel cramped at all, even if you cannot fully recline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Opakunle Joyce    (UK)

First time in premium economy. We travelled from London to Lagos on 23rd July - the service was below par, coming back on 3rd September was even worse. When I say worse I mean onboard, the ground service was fantastic! Our return flight on 3rd September 2014, before we were served the main meal we were offered only one drink, orange juice and we were not asked if there was anything else we wanted - told dinner was about to be served so we should wait. Dinner was served, we requested chicken, we were seated in the second / third row and were told that they had run out, we ended up with beef. My son requested a bread roll, after 20 minutes I got up to go and find out what had happened to it, only to be told again that they had run out. Cabin crew were very hesitant and unhelpful. Not value for money.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 September 2014 by A Hallatt    (UK)

09/09/14, VS016 from MCO 19.35, (Delayed until 21.20). I have flown with Virgin a few times and they usually a good airline to fly with (and I have written positive comments accordingly) but this last flight, the attendants were completely disinterested in their customers. Such a shame to see how much the staff on this particular flight have let their company down. We were sat in the emergency exit seats and a staff member seemed more interested in using the exit door as a "beat box" with his hands and yawning without having the courtesy of at least putting his hand over his mouth. Our friends on the other side of the plane were served with the same amount of interest. Come on Virgin Atlantic, where is the professionalism?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Angela Chui    (UK)

London Heathrow on 13th August to Hong Kong and returned on 27th August 2014. Very disappointed as my ordered vegetarian meal was missing even though I had double checked and had confirmation that it was ordered when checking in my luggage before boarding. So on my return trip, I checked and had confirmation again that it had been ordered. This time my vegetarian meal turned out to be an "Asian vegetarian" meal, a curry, instead of my "normal vegetarian meal of pasta! Normally I would accept this but as I can't eat curries at all I pointed the mistake out to a cabin crew who said they would check. I waited and no one came back to me so while they started serving everyone else's meal and passed me without a word I asked again about my normal vegetarian meal of pasta and not Asian vegetarian. Couldn't believe it when the same curry as before was given to me again. Obviously the crew didn't listen to what I had said or couldn't care less at all. To top it all of, I later found out from my husband, sitting 3 seats away from me with our 2 children between us, that they had tried to put the mistake down to me because I had asked for a Asian vegetarian meal myself when, in fact, I had specifically asked for a normal one of pasta as per menu after the first mistake.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Baird    (UK)

I wasn't that impressed by the legroom on a recent trip to Orlando, BA and the American Airlines that we have used in recent years are definitely more spacious. If only this was our only complaint. One of our bags arrived torn in two places and the bottom hanging off. The time spent trying to rectify this has been almost as much as it took to cross the Atlantic. At this rate Virgin could soon be an award winning airline for the worst customer service ever!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Dawes    (UK)

Gatwick - Las Vegas - Gatwick. B747-400. Never again. I'd rather stay in the rainy UK than give Virgin any of my money. Paid £4.400 for premium economy seats to Las Vegas for 3 people. I've never seen any crew be so rude to passengers. 1 beer after take off from Gatwick, asked for another with lunch rather than wine, was told "wine, water or nothing". Food is nice and nice to have a choice but in a premium cabin on any airline, that's what I expect and the liquors after lunch or dinner is a nice touch. Only other offer of drinks is juice or water throughout the 11 hour flight. Can not comment on any other cabin service as we never saw the crew for the rest of the flight, it seems Virgin crew go to work so sleep in the crew rest area they told the passengers about rather than serve passengers that pay to be on the aircraft. When the seat in front of you is reclined, you can't get out of your seat. Had no choice but to fly virgin as BA didn't fly to Vegas on he date we had to travel. Never again will I fly on a Virgin aircraft if I have a choice. So rude.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Roy    (UK)

LHR-YVR return. Flew out economy and back PE. Entertainment system not working either way. No picture on way out, no sound on some channels on way back, some advertised programming not actually on the system (f.e. Top Gear). The tray tables in PE are too small, and in armrest. Cannot open when passenger in front has seat reclined. Cannot open fully flat as seats are too narrow and it hits immovable central arm rest which you must climb over to get out of seat. Hand pinched (twice) trying to get tray out of armrest. Food (esp in PE) very average - no better than economy fare on the cheapest scheduled airline. Breakfast inedible. "Bacon" was like leather and could not be cut with metal knife. No offers of drinks refills, water only offered with dinner but no room on seat tray. No choice of beverages. Extremely rude staff members on return. No in-flight magazines, just a duty free mag and one with a list of the entertainment. Assumed there were charging points in PE. There were, but they could only be used if you had a charger with a UK plug. Assumed this would be a USB point. Was brought some weird extension cords, couldn't use them without the UK 3 pin plug which was packed. Boarding at Vancouver was chaotic. Staff didn't even attempt to adhere to their own rules. They just sent everybody through. Passengers with children regardless of age barged in front of other passengers who had been queuing for some time. Seats very uncomfortable in both E and PE. Have lots of VA miles which will use on another airline. Will not fly with them again. Only four toilets for the whole of economy and PE on the aircraft. Had to walk all the way to the rear of the aircraft. Would not let PE customers use UC toilets, even though they are located directly in front of PE.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Kirupakaran Vanniasingam    (UK)

LHR-JFK, 21st August 2014, VS03. Return from JFK, 24th August 2014,†VS04. Very disappointed. Last time I experienced Virgin Atlantic was 3 years ago. Fantastic in every way. However, my wife and I flew to NY from LHR last week and it was awful. Crew members don't know what a smile is and have forgotten what service means. Food is below standard. Entertainment is 6 years old. Beverage selection? No selection at all. We compare with BA, Singapore, Emirates and Qatar, Virgin is very poor. Our short trip to NY was really spoilt by Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Colette Dickenson    (UK)

I flew with Virgin Little Red on the evening of 22nd July 2014 from Heathrow to Manchester, I flew down that morning with British Airways. I normally fly BA, but decided on Virgin Little Red to come home to try the service as work colleagues had highly recommended them. I must say that I am now a convert, the food etc., was very similar between the two flights, but it was the crew that made the difference. They actually seemed to want the passengers on the plane and to look after us, even though it was only a very short flight, nothing seemed too much trouble. It was like flying with BMI again, friendly crew which made the flight a pleasure to be on, unlike a lot of BA flights I have flown on in the last year or so.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by O James    (USA)

We arrived at the LHR transfer Virgin Desk to give our baggage tags to the Virgin staff, two of them were just standing there talking to each other whist the queue was growing behind us and the other staff on the desk were taking a very long time with the people who were ahead of us. We got to the counter and were issued with new boarding passes and given a voucher for free tea or coffee. We got to our gate and sat down to wait to board. They announced boarding for people traveling with kids or people who needed assistance to go first. Other passengers seemed to not care and boarding became a free for all so we decided just to get on the aircraft. We were greeted by name which was a nice touch and told were told were our seats were 43h&K. The vera on-demand system was not turned on until 20 mins after the flight had taken off. Food was very bland and had no taste to it when served. The seats we found were very uncomfortable almost like a charter plane, the headrest would not adjust the way British Airways or Aer Lingus would. Overall I don't think we would fly with Virgin again BA, United and Aer Lingus are far more comfortable and have better service than Virgin. I do not understand what the all the hype that surrounds Virgin is all about the competition is far better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Kier Dudley    (UK)

16 Aug, VS012, BOS to LHR in premium economy - Excellent service as usual, first flight on A330 which was impressive. My current airline of choice across the Atlantic.

3 Aug, VS095, LHR to YVR, 3rd PE flight in 3 years, excellent on board service as usual. Only issue was luggage was not tagged correctly at LHR and was one of the last out at YVR, this was pointed out to the agent at check in who informed us that there would not be an issue as the computer would sort! Staff training issue here. Flight on older A340 aircraft which are due to be replaced next year, whilst have the new PE seats have the old entertainment system.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by J Wassermann    (UK)

London - Johannesburg - London. 6/8/2014 - 16/8/2014. I had to get an urgent direct flight for a close family bereavement and found available Virgin with a direct flight at reasonable cost. It got me there on time, but given a choice in future I will not use Virgin again. The menu, preparation, presentation and taste of the food is at least two decades behind times. On the outbound flight I could not get the meal of my choice, the alternative was not an option I would eat and thus declined a meal. The seats are very uncomfortable and leg space is configured for cattle class. I travel frequently and the same economy class is much better on most competitive airlines. Service, snacks and drinks are nothing but skimpy and lacks that feeling that they want to please you. Inflight entertainment had to be rebooted several times and my broken headset had to be replaced.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Rowena Neblett    (UK)

I travelled from Manchester to Barbados return. Both ways they ran out of choices of meals. When I questioned why, I was given a curt reply. The staff came across as very indifferent to passengers needs. If you want a drink after your first initial drink we were told that only one drink was served due to some passengers drinking too much. As a 50 year old travelling eating a meal which I did not want and refused a glass of wine due to other passengers" maybe" drinking too much is quite insulting. The final straw was they had run out of drinks and apologies were made to passengers that there was no more drinks on board as they had no room to store drinks and other passengers had drunk too much. Is this the service you expect on a well known airline? More training needed maybe? Is it because it is economy?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Cole Bernard    (UK)

Seasoned travellers but our first with VA, LHR to Antigua. Package deal, so economy, chose to pay on check-in for extra leg room -££40 extra. Flight was excellent from start to finish, could not fault VA out or inbound. Seats were comfortable enabling a good sleep, food very good, service again very good. Booked VA again - LHR to Grenada via St Lucia in September, this time PE.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by A Proschel    (UK)

LHR to SFO, March 2014, Upper Class Lounge at Heathrow excellent with huge choice of freshly made food and drinks including champagne. The Cowshed has large range of treatments if you so wish, showers etc and very polite and helpful lounge staff. Upper Class really lived up to its name on outbound trip, nothing too much trouble. Meals including quality wines, afternoon tea with delicate pastries and macaroons. Seat / flatbed really comfortable, plenty of varied inflight entertainment. Return trip still very good with exception of one cabin staff member, she was not enjoying her job at all and really didn't want to be there as I overheard her telling a man in seat behind me! She gave me wrong breakfast and when I remarked on this she said it was what I ordered, only when another passenger had same problem did she realise she had mixed order up, trays were swapped but no apology. This was only problem and her poor attitude didn't take anything away from the flight enjoyment, fabulous to lie flat and be able to sleep. We had flown from San Fran to Hawaii with Hawaiian Airlines and didn't realise until we returned we could claim partner airmiles but needed boarding cards which we hadn't kept, customer services were brilliant and gave us the airmiles as a kindness, great PR and we will be booking with Virgin again very soon If Flight crew are good it's a great trip but poor /rude crew can really ruin your flight, this should be addressed as Virgin has a great product.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2014 by M Pettit    (UK)

Travelled with them about 15 years ago to New York - bumped off flight to New York with two children . This caused problem with hotel reservation at the other end. On way back, because we hadn't left on assigned flight out, we were cancelled on return one - very poor customer service - no apology or compensation. After 15 years thought I'd give them a second chance, just been told that they that cancelled my planned return flight from Chicago. No alternative offer apart from a day later - refused to pay extra hotel accommodation cost, only prepared to offer a refund, not prepared to book me onto an alternative airline at their expense. Appalling customer service, not recommended.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 August 2014 by V J Goodman    (UK)

Just returned from Florida after a very enjoyable holiday which was not enhanced by Virgin flight. My criticism revolves around the food on the flight and the wait times once landed. The food going out was just ok but the return flight food I found totally unacceptable both diner and breakfast. The wait time to get off the plane on arriving after a nine hour flight was over half an hour, the excuse given was the airport was too busy to accept us immediately. On the return to Manchester we were also left sitting on the plane for more than half an hour, this was due to parking the plane off stand and waiting for buses. The excuse given was the airport was very busy, which was obviously not true because we were the only passengers going though passport control. After paying what I feel a premium price for a Virgin flight (a party of 10) it was just not good enough. We flew earlier in the year to Barbados with Thomas Cook and the flight and food was excellent.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  21 August 2014 by T Valjak    (UK)

LHR-LAX return, two adults, two children: overall experience was very good and well beyond my relatively low expectations. Seat reservations honoured, quick check-in at either sides, planes on time. Most staff on ground and in air very friendly and helpful. Planes were full to capacity with smooth and efficient service. Seat comfort what you'd expect in economy though with help of pillows and blanket bearable. Inflight entertainment very good. Sat upper deck on return which allowed a much calmer 747 experience compared to main deck.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 August 2014 by Zhi Finlay    (UK)

VS009 to JFK New York. As always Virgin Clubhouse is top-class and arguably cooks the best fresh food of all global airlines. The Clubhouse has a very soothing ambience and is a wonderful way to begin a holiday. Welcomed on board by name from an enthusiastic and very professional staff who did all they could to help and go the extra mile. Food was good, films good too and the nice, flat bed helps enormously too. All in all a very good flight from a high quality airline.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Catherine Halliwell    (UK)

Flown last month on a 747-400, MAN-MCO, economy class. Very nice welcome and a good range of leg room. A variety of movies, food was very nice. Very dirty wing, and dusty cabin apart from that Virgin Atlantic is far better than Thomson Airways.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by B David    (USA)

Heathrow to LAX. Paid extra for premium economy just to have passengers in front seat in my lap the whole flight. Seat broken so nothing could be done. Since stuck in one position whole 10 hours had sun in my eyes with nowhere to go since staff refused request to ask passenger if possibly could put blind down. Could not even use Premium Economy toilets, had to go to coach per Virgin staff. Very rude staff who serve bland, tasteless food and obviously hate there job. Have flown for over 15 years with Virgin and if they don't improve soon they are going down to BA's level if not lower. Staff needs to learn to smile and treat passengers better. Not sure what good paying for Premium Economy is when seats are uncomfortable and service awful. Don't waste your time contacting customer service as they won't help or even try.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Lim Eddie    (UK)

London to LAX and back LAX-LHR, 10 August 2014, VS24. From departure to lounge, very poor directions to lounge. The lounge is hugely disappointing. The food counter looks like a hawker stall with really bad selection of food. When I told the receptionist that better directions to the lounge would help us tourists using this airport, she commented that we got there anyway! The lounge is really nothing to shout about. If we had known that's it is of such poor standard, we would prefer to spend our time in duty free. Service on the plane was excellent. But entertainment system keep on breaking down and hanging.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Mark Simons    (UK)

LGW-Barbados return. Issue with on-line check in not working was frustrating in that you went through the whole process entering passport details only to get a message on completion that the system was down. Also happened on return. A message at the outset would have been much more helpful. Check in agent at terminal was very jovial and pleasant and seating as requested was honoured. Outbound flight delayed by an hour due to passengers disembarking an AirNas flight. It was not possible to board the Virgin flight as there was insufficient space in the walkways! Seated in row 23 Premium economy. Friendly cabin crew handed out pre-flight drinks and menus. Good entertainment system with good choice of movies. Pre-dinner drinks served promptly. Meal service commenced and I was disappointed that my choice had already run out by time they served me leaving me with the vegetarian curry. I did not expect not to be able to have my choice in Premium economy. Uneventful flight which made up some time across the ocean. Return flight departed on time and landed early at Gatwick. Dinner was a creole chicken dish which was actually quite tasty. Cabin was far too warm making for quite an uncomfortable flight and too hot to sleep. Breakfast was pretty good - choice of continental or full English. Having landed early the gate was occupied so we had to sit on the aircraft for half an hour which was quite frustrating. E gates at LGW not working so by time we got through the queue luggage was waiting.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |