Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 February 2014 by S Morris (UK)

Travelled to St Lucia in January premium economy out and upper class return. Online check in was very easy, but twilight bag drop at Gatwick not possible on arrival at 4.30pm and we had to queue for 1 hour to check our bags in, probably because they have reduced the twilight check in time from 2pm to 5pm and only 2 staff were on duty. The new 330 wide bodied aircraft is much more cramped in premium economy than the 747 when travelling in the bubble which was a joy. The aisles are narrow causing more disturbance to passengers and some people are allocated seats in 3s with the loss of privacy for couples. However, the lighting and the entertainment were a big improvement and the food was good so overall the PE experience was acceptable. The return in upper class was poor value. Similarly cramped compared with the jumbo and it is no longer feasible to share a meal with your partner as the aisles are too narrow. There is some personal privacy at night and the beds were OK although you are quite near to the seats opposite the herringbone pattern works. Service disturbs sleepers due to the narrow aisles as stewards constantly knock into feet or the ends of beds. During the day it would be impossible to talk to you partner unless you got up as the screens do not fold down, so you are very much in your own space which is probably good for business passengers. The upper class meal was truly dreadful. It was impossible to eat the steak so I exchanged it for chicken which was also dry and tough. The stewardess suggested the only decent meal was vegetarian and several people were sending their food back, but by that time I had lost interest. Why do they serve lumps of meat which have to be re-heated? Food was much nicer in PE. Overall the service in upper class has deteriorated with reduced costs evident and we were very disappointed.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by L Jameson (UK)

I flew LHR-DEL, 20 Jan returning 30 Jan both times on Champagne Belle (A330-300), this aircraft is the best VS one I have travelled on with good seats and it seemed more leg room than usual. The cabin crew were superb providing me with braille safety cards (a first!). Two truly fantastic flights without the above and beyond we received.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Sidharth Sharma (USA)

Flight VS355 from Mumbai to Heathrow on January 31, 2014. Baggage checking staff were very unfriendly. They kept chatting amongst themselves rather than speed up the process of checking in. They were rude because I had an extra bag, and the payment for the extra weight of the bag took 15 minutes. Boarding gate was changed 3 times and with no announcement of the same. A lot of passengers were seen rushing from gate to gate. At time of boarding, though the seat #s were announced, the lady checking the boarding pass was too busy talking on her cell phone to see whether the seat # announced was followed or not.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by J Wyatt (UK)

LHR-CPT-LHR. Upper Class. The T3 Heathrow 'wing' is a fantastic perk and enabled us to step out of the car, get through check in and security and to the Clubhouse in under 10 minutes - a minor miracle at Heathrow! Clubhouse is as good as ever. A346 out was quite full. Food is as ordinary as ever, but I liked the choice of wines on offer. The 'bed' is ok. IFE has a wide range of things to watch or listen to although I went to sleep. Breakfast was horrid - but it always is on every airline. Staff all very nice and worked hard all through the flight. Return - the lounge in CPT isn't a Virgin lounge and is pretty rubbish. It also got full, although we had seats, some didn't. Return equipment was A343. Tablets handed out as there's no on-demand on the old VERA system. Didn't bother me as I slept for 10 hours. Overall, Virgin Upper still successfully manages to differentiate itself from other airlines quite well. Some elements of it though, are getting tired.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 February 2014 by Gary Ho (UK)

London Gatwick to Tobago via St Lucia. Online check in was faultless. Boarding card sent electronically to iPhone Passbook successfully. Baggage drop was fast and efficient. No queue at all and friendly service. Boarding was fine and electronic boarding card on iPhone worked without any issues. Plane was a modern A330-300. Very nice mood lighting, comfortable seats, adequate leg room And good in flight entertainment. Departed pretty much on time. Drinks service with pretzels followed by lunch. Menu was distributed prior to lunch. Food was quite reasonable. Dessert was served separately which is a nice touch and tea/coffee followed. Ice cream was also served later on. Drinks were served throughout. Afternoon tea (sandwich) was served with tea/coffee before landing in st. Lucia. However, bar service was closed 2 hours before landing. Officially it should not close until 45 mins prior to landing. Stop off in St Lucia for 2 hours before departing for Tobago. Drinks were served during stop over. 30 min flight included drinks service and snack (crisps) before arriving slightly ahead of schedule in Tobago. Overall very good aircraft and pretty good service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 January 2014 by Steve Crocker (UK)

Miami - London - Manchester in Upper Class. Having read previous reviews we were apprehensive as this was our first flight with Virgin, but our experience was mainly good. The lounge at Miami was grim, but once on board we found our seats comfortable when both seated and reclined. We were in the front cabin of the lower deck of a 747 which is quite wide and so did not suffer the problem of our feet being constantly knocked. However I would not have wanted to be in another cabin or aircraft as we could clearly see why many others complain about this problem. The food we had was good as was the red wine and the cabin crew were friendly and attentive and made and unmade our beds immediately on request. The video on demand did not look exciting but as we wanted to sleep this was not a problem to us. The arrivals lounge food and facilities at Heathrow were excellent. The Little Red connection to Manchester was nothing special but our luggage did arrive quickly so we can have no complaints about our experience, the Miami lounge apart. Virgin would not be our first choice for the future but equally we would use them again if appropriate.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 January 2014 by Rob Kelley (UK)

I was really looking forward to flying with Virgin but as most things these days the adverts are nothing like the real thing. I booked a Premium Economy seat from London to Johannesburg as I was told it had more leg room, I am 6 ft 3 tall, so why were my knees jammed against the seat in front for 11 hours? My seat was broken and kept reclining by itself. I was advised by a member of the crew to email in to ask for a better seat for my return flight, I did this 9 days ago and I still haven't had a reply. On the return flight I had a seat with a TV screen that was so bad I could hardly see the picture, the staff kept leaving the galley curtain open so the lights kept waking me up, I mentioned this but was given a look as if to say "are you mad?", no apology and no effort to close the curtain.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 January 2014 by David Zandman (USA)

Given my previous positive experience with Virgin America, I fully expected Virgin Atlantic to blow me away. Unfortunately, that did not happen. My outbound flight was mostly satisfactory, aside from the fact that the flight attendants took forever to pick up trash after the post-meal drink service, and I ended up spilling wine all over myself trying to get out of my window seat. Returning home was when the real problems started. I tried to check online the night before, only to discover there was no record of my reservation in the system. So at 1am (before a 10am flight) I spent 45 minutes on the phone with VA customer service, trying to ensure I did still have a seat on the plane. A few days later I sent an email to customer service expressing my disappointment. Over the next month I received multiple emails from them promising a representative would get back to me. None ever did.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 January 2014 by M Lucas (UK)

The cabin was comfortable in Upper Class, the seat was good, I didn't find it cramped like other reviews I have been obsessing over. Flight left on time. The crew in Upper Class apart from the supervisor were scruffy. The flight manager was really scruffy and not what I had expected at all. The Flight manager even allowed 2 premium economy passengers into upper to use the bar as she recognised them. To me that is not on, if the cabin is full, its full. The food was disgraceful and my steak inedible. I was offered a PE meal - which was better but for the money paid I do not want a PE meal. I was very disappointed for my first time in upper class.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  14 January 2014 by C Gaunt (UK)

LHR-JFK, A344. In the past month I've flown both BA's World Traveler Plus (LHR-HKG A380) and Virgin Atlantic's Premium Economy so here's the compare and contrast: Pre-seat selection. Free on VS at time of booking; had to pay 200 for the two of us r/t on BA. Airport check-in. VS has a dedicated Premium check-in counter, at which there are rarely any queues. BA had no dedicated WTP check-in, although T5 at LHR rarely has bad lines. Boarding. VS boards Upper Class, Gold members, and Premium Economy at the same time. There is a dedicated Premium check-in lane at the gate. BA boards First, then Club and Gold members, then families needing assistance, then WTP. On board. VS offers you a glass of champagne when you sit down, BA offered water or orange juice. The seats on VS are a purplish leather and distinctly cooler/better than Economy. On BA the cabin looks pretty much the same as economy, just slightly wider seats. Food: on VS, Premium gets a separate meal from Economy, served in nice dishware. On BA, the food was exactly the same as Economy: trays with dishes with foil you have to remove etc. Supposedly the main course may or may not come from Club but I couldn't have spotted it. Drinks service is same as Economy and no one ever comes round during the middle of the night on a 12 hour flight to offer water like they do on Asian carriers. IFE has many more recent release movies than BA. Seat comfort. Good on both BA and VS, I find I can actually sleep in these Premium seats and I can't in Economy, and that makes all the difference to me. Ambience. I have been flying BA for years and although I don't dislike the airline, I now have a personal challenge to try to get a flight attendant, any one, anytime, anywhere, to smile at me. On Virgin the crew are simply more fun and engaging with passengers. Arrival. VS priority tags its Premium Econ. bags so they come off first, BA does not. Overall, the only clear advantage I could spot that BA has over Virgin in terms of Premium Economy service is they have noise-cancelling headphones, which VS only has in Upper. On balance, every other part of the experience is superior on VS and given a choice again, if the price is even remotely similar, I know which way I'm going.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 January 2014 by M Cowell (UK)

LHR-CPT-LHR. A340-600 on both legs. Seats allocated in advance both ways, which is nice when travelling with kids and on-line check in worked just fine. Bag drop at LHR at first seemed busy, but when my turn came, delay just due to very chatty and friendly ground crew. Flights left with slight delays both ways although time made up on route. PE cabin is inviting and similar to BA's equivalent. PE cabin crew were very good both ways, being efficient, friendly and personal. The food is not good, but this makes up such a small part of the fare, we learned our lesson and skipped it way back, instead dinning pre-journey. IFE worked just fine and had plenty of choice for these 11hr+ flights. Overall good value on these particular flights.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 January 2014 by S Damo (Australia)

Flew SYD-HKG-LHR before Christmas and LHR-HKG/stop-over-SYD back after. Call center and check-in staff were very pro-active and helpful, generally. Had bassinet seat, or if not available, were given the extra legroom seat free of charge. On aircraft staff were also helpful/friendly, particularly with our baby's needs (water, bottle cleaning, etc). Food was generally decent quality and enjoyable, but they now seem to have economised by giving you a dessert after the main service - but doing so by not giving you one with your main! Gates are generally good, aside from the huge distance from shops to gate at LHR T3 - must be nearly a mile?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  10 January 2014 by A Clack (UK)

I have flown Virgin Atlantic over many years, in all three cabins, over a number of different routes but I have to say I was so disappointed at the cost cutting going on in relation to in-flight service for my flights to and from MCO. For the so called 'premium' meal service we were given, after the meal, empty paper cups and then had to wait another 10 minutes for a hot drink. It honestly felt like I was in a train buffet car - not even a plastic cup. Breakfast service was disgusting, a meal given to you with no drink whatsoever, no water, no orange juice, nothing and again the paper cups came out after 15 minutes - BA WT+ offers fruit, muffin, orange juice, a hot drink and a hot meal for it's breakfast service - honestly never been disappointed before, but won't be wasting my money with VA again. On a positive note the best thing on the plane was the entertainment system.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 January 2014 by Benjamin Warner (China)

I flew recently Virgin Atlantic from Shanghai to London. Although staff were friendly enough when I made a fuss, I was put in a cramped seat with my feet sticking into the bar area. There was no 'on demand' video system and was told that Virgin would be operating this old aircraft on this route for some time to come. I recently travelled business class from Tokyo to London on BA and Shanghai to London on Cathay. I have to say that both airlines were miles ahead of Virgin in all aspects. It is a real shame. A long time ago Virgin led the way with flat beds, slumber suits and great entertainment - but no longer it seems.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  8 January 2014 by S Eves (UK)

An underwhelming experience flying LHR to Cape Town with Virgin. Virgin sells itself as something special. It isn't - at least not in Economy. Flight out was poor in two ways. Firstly the menu choice given out was "unavailable" so there was only one option, which was not on the menu card at all (tough luck if you didn't want chicken). The food was probably the worst airline food I have had - a real case of cost cutting. On the return journey I ate prior to leaving and rejected the in-flight meal. Secondly the VERA inflight entertainment system was something out of the ark. All films were on a fixed time loop (so you had to wait for all films to finish before they started again). Miss this "start" and you missed your film. Virgin as a "premium service" carrier should be ashamed for still operating this type of system rather than the "on demand" system found everywhere else. On the return journey it was better as the system was "on demand". In addition to this the seat pitch and recline was very poor and something as basic as the ear plugs were of a low quality. I found my own (cheap) ear plugs were twice as efficient as those issued by Virgin. The cabin staff were OK. Not good, not bad. Overall very disappointing as the reality falls far short of the image Virgin likes to portray. I would definitely not put Virgin as my first choice next time I fly long haul.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  8 January 2014 by M Leggat (Morocco)

My husband is a Gold card holder and I am a Silver. We travel Virgin Atlantic on most cross-Atlantic routes but having said over and over again that we would never choose them again. We travel Upper Class and it has steadily got worse and worse. The amenities kit is a joke - when you compare Elemis and Bulgari toiletries with other airlines, a plastic toothbrush and paste does not cut it these days. The socks are now made of cheap nylon and not worth the effort. We travelled LHR to LAX return and the service you provide is not up to standard. As many people have commented, staff appear to be doing us a favour in the service department and are only interested in turning the lights off as quickly as possible and getting every one to sleep, which is nigh on impossible with your beds. I am 5ft 2 and still had my feet constantly knocked by the crew walking up and down. Beds are cramped and not private enough. Compare these with BA Business Class - not even in the same ball park. Definitely just had my last VA flight. I'll be going BA from now on.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax