Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 May 2014 by R Smith    (UK)

LGW-Las Vegas-LGW. First leg - not one announcement from the Pilot)which I thought was unusual. Cabin crew professional and there from start to finish. Customer Service Managers could be more professional in announcements. Return leg crew much more in your face to help you. As night flight, glad to see coming up and down during the night to make sure all ok. Entertainment system - never be on a par to SQ/EK but still more than satisfactory. I hope they will fly more routes from LGW sooner.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 May 2014 by D Finlay    (UK)

Returned recently from Miami on Boeing 747. Service was exemplary, boarding was prompt and seats very comfortable and quite spacious; films up to date, varied and good screen quality. The much aligned airline food was perfectly acceptable and, quite good. But the best thing about Virgin is the quality of cabin service, excellent throughout the flight. The only negative is simply Miami International Airport which is unbelievable but even Virgin cannot resolve their immigration and custom delays and associated chaos.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 May 2014 by Kay Campbell    (UK)

Flew from Manchester to Orlando in Premium, return business. Enjoyed every aspect of the journeys and found the staff to be just wonderful. This was our first trip using Virgin Atlantic and I feel that some of the negative comments are unjustified, although all flights are different. We often fly with Aer Lingus and do customs in Dublin so when we had the enormous queue at customs on arrival it was a bit of a shock. There are too many big planes arriving at the same time.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 May 2014 by W Cross    (UK)

I travelled premium economy to Las Vegas from Manchester. I had read the reviews and to be honest I was thinking I had made the wrong decision to fly Virgin Atlantic. Did I need to be worried? No. The flight was fantastic. The courteous staff could not have done more for us. The plane was spotless, the seat comfortable, the entertainment brilliant and the food by airline standards was up to par. The flight was one of the highlights of the trip.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 May 2014 by S Martin    (UK)

I have travelled from Edinburgh to London Heathrow and found the flight comfortable and the crew. Very professional. Am travelling to Hong Kong soon so hope the same positive review will apply.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by A Hay    (UK)

Decided to pay more for an economy return flight to Jamaica as I wanted to fly with Virgin (200 more than their competitive airline). The last and only time I flew with them was about 10 years ago return flight to New York. Back then the return economy flight cost me 250, the flight had better entertainment and proper games with consoles, was offered newspapers, and the food and drink served was offered practically non-stop, in fact I was given 2 main meals! Also very lucky on the return flight, as it was practically empty we were given a glass of champagne! This time, got 1 small main meal (and didn't eat the salad as it consisted of one small leaf and lots of dressing that tasted of dish water), afternoon tea consisted of 1 biscuit and tea or coffee, steward gave me a look when I asked for 2 drinks, and only good thing about the entertainment was the selection of films. I don't know why the stewards seemed stressed when the plane was half full! Also on return flight back, staff at the airport had an attitude and didn't even welcome or say hello to me! They insisted I put items from my hand luggage into my suitcase as it was 1 kilo over! All this wonderful service cost me just under 800 for a return ticket! My friend flew with American airlines (via Miami) and basically got the same service and quality food and drinks I had from my original Virgin flight 10 years ago. So in conclusion I will never fly with Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 May 2014 by K Deighton    (UK)

Just arrived back from Antigua to Gatwick, flight SV34. A special mention to the wonderful crew 3 young stewards and a lovely stewardess could not have made our flight any better. They were happy and cheerful and nothing was too much trouble. Food was excellent and the pilot made good time. We have travelled with many airlines but never had such a genuine crew.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 May 2014 by F McNamara    (UK)

Travelled from Shanghai to Heathrow following an excellent first leg, also in Premium Economy, from Auckland on Air New Zealand. The Virgin experience was very disappointing by comparison. The plane was old and shabby (I saw one passenger trying to mend the tray compartment cover on his seat, it having fallen off) and the toilet in Premium Economy was out of order. The seat was cramped, especially when the seat in front was reclined, making it no easier to get out of the seat than if it were in Economy class, even though I am a small person. The flight attendants, especially one, were flustered, unfriendly, surly and unhelpful - when I pointed out that my headphones were not working I was made to feel as if I were being a nuisance by requesting a working set, and there was certainly no apology. In over 40 years of flying this was my first time with Virgin and I shall not be repeating the experience. I especially resent the extra paid for Premium Economy on this journey.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 May 2014 by D Walker    (UK)

Despite the flashy adverts Virgin is lacking in many areas. Our flight to DXB was in the B747 and what a disappointment. The entire aircraft was outdated, cramped and opposite to the adverts. Entertainment was just ok, hardly anything special. The meals are good and staff are friendly but that is as far as it goes. On the other hand the A340 aircraft (our return flight) was fairly new and much more upgraded but the seating was still small and cramped with little extras to justify the price apart from being a direct flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 May 2014 by J Henson    (UK)

Flew San Francisco to London Heathrow in May 2014. I had checked in online, however, whilst the bag drop queue was short it was very slow moving. Boarding not particularly organised, but a fairly warm welcome on boarding. No magazines or newspapers available on boarding. Main meal was really poor - crew accidentally forgot to give us a menu, our preferred food option was not available, portion size was very small and the food was low quality. I would happily have paid extra for more/better quality food. I would strongly recommend eating before boarding (as we had). Reasonable drinks selection. Decent range of inflight entertainment but handheld control had one broken button which made it very difficult to select options. Overhead locker space limited due to failure to enforce baggage rules (very large trolley cases allowed on board). Amenity kit, blanket and pillow all provided and all decent quality for an economy cabin. I managed to sleep for several hours. Overall the experience was passable as I had booked on a virgin miles discount offer - however, I would have been disappointed (even for economy) if I had paid full price for this booking. I travel long haul several times a year and, as others have commented; Virgin has a poor economy cabin compared to other transatlantic and other carriers.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 April 2014 by R Norman    (UK)

Travelled Gatwick to Montego Bay on a 747. Very disappointed with the quality of the premium economy cabin. The plane was clearly passed its 'sell by' date. It looked tired and old with an entertainment system that was difficult to see. On the outward leg the magazine rack was broken and although an engineer tried to solve the problem it was not usable and flapped about throughout the flight. On the return journey the arm rest containing the table was broken and separated from the chair. The stewardess was unable to get help and in the end used sticky tape to hold the arm rest in place. She was going to take the arm rest away and replace with a towel but our comments about basic safety and the need to make it safe led to the makeshift solution. Then there is the food which is probably the worst I have had flying premium economy. Is this a case of an airline flying a route with little competition and therefore setting the lowest possible tolerable standard? An old tired plane with average and below average service.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Carol Halliwell    (UK)

I had my first Virgin flight from Shanghai to Heathrow on April 18th. I will not be flying Virgin again. The food was poor, frozen salad and frozen bread rolls. The inflight entertainment was limited, plane very hot, despite asking for heating to adjusted, service poor. Compared to 2 flights on Air New Zealand (good food, warm bread, attentive service, and a great range of entertainment) this was a very disappointing experience.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 April 2014 by S Gutenstein (UK)

Travelled from Manchester to San Francisco, on the way to New Zealand to visit my son. I decided to splash out with premium economy, not worth it at all! Food was absolutely terrible - and I had to ask for a wine re-fill. Staff very slow and not too bothered. Not at all what I expected. My husband travelled Economy, and had a whole row of seats to himself, it seems that the most crowded part of the plane was Premium Economy. Not at all worth the extra money. On the return trip - Shanghai to Manchester, the journey was very much the same, though more crowded. Never Again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Daniel Jack (UK)

Have flown with Virgin Atlantic for the last 3 years from GLA-MCO-GLA in the Premium Economy cabins. 1st year was on a a Boeing 747-400 in the old cabin design. We were in the upper deck and the flight was absolutely fantastic. The last 2 years we flew on the Airbus A300-300 and again the service was second to none! I have nothing but praise for Virgin Atlantic. Every bit of their service is fantastic. My fiancee and I have also flown numerous occasions to the Middle East and New York with Virgin Atlantic and again cannot fault the experience. So much so, we are due to fly to the USA again with Virgin Atlantic in May 2014, to Grenada in December 2014, USA next spring (2015) and we will be booking again for New York in December 2015.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 April 2014 by J Peacock (UK)

I recently returned from a trip to Barbados with Virgin Atlantic and I can say I will certainly use them again. I booked premium economy both ways and was more than happy with the whole experience. Checking in at Gatwick with dedicated desk for premium meant we were straight through no problem. On board upstairs in jumbo given glass of bubbly as I took my seat, loads of room to stow stuff and good inflight DVDs, food not bad either. Returning was also excellent had the front 2 seats upstairs again couple drinks before dinner and slept for a while. Overall a good experience with Virgin and I would recommend premium economy no problem.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 April 2014 by A Smith (New Zealand)

By far one of the worst flights I've had. Flew PVG-LHR on one of the A340-600 in 60K (G-VWEB). I'm 5" 8' so not the largest person in the world and yet my knees were being poked the entire flight by the pocket from the seat in front of me. Padding on the seat was pretty much non-existent resulting in a rather numb behind after a short time into the flight. Also it's worth noting that it seems seats in A and K mostly have something under them for the in-flight entertainment system. This meant I had even less space to stretch if needed due to that being under the seat in front of me. The headrest was incapable of keeping the position of the wings that are on it, collapsing the second you put your head against it. If the person in the seat in front puts their seat back it makes the experience even more claustrophobic - not to mention making it hard to use the screen for the in-flight entertainment. Not that that matters as the screen quality is so bad you won't want to use it anyway. Then there is the food - it's tasteless, overcooked and there's not a lot of quantity to it. At least they came around at reasonable times with it and offered drinks fairly often during the flight. Also the lack of any form of power is annoying, not even a USB port for plugging a phone/tablet into.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  22 April 2014 by M Kennedy (Australia)

Just flown SYD-HKG-LHR and LHR-HKG-SYD in Upper Class. Flat bed most uncomfortable with little to no help in preparing the bed for attempted sleep. Majority of staff extremely bored, unhelpful and one just simply rude. Planes were old, worn, in-flight entertainment minuscule, airport lounges were dirty and do not look like those advertised on the internet. $7.000 return for what was slightly, very slightly above economy standard was disappointing and will never be repeated. Giving one out of five in ratings but should really be nil.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Fallon Katie (UK)

We flew Gatwick to Barbados on the 747 and the seats were so comfortable, I said to my husband, it really wouldn't be worth the money to upgrade to Premium. On the return, we flew on the Airbus A330 and it was a completely different experience. I've never been so uncomfortable on a plane in my life. The seats were hard and the head rests had nothing to support your head when you wanted to sleep (unlike the 747). Even my 7 year old daughter who usually sleeps really well on flights didn't sleep at all. I've had more comfortable experiences on Thomas Cook and that's saying something! I feel like Virgin need to up their game as we've flown Emirates a few times and they are far more superior with much better aircraft like the A380. In future, I would rather change my destination if it means flying on the A330.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2014 by T Lester (USA)

LHR to JFK, VS9 as return leg of review of April 4th. Completely different experience, an excellent flight. Sat in nose section of 747, very comfortable and spacious - this older seat version is far more sensible and comfortable than the new one I disliked so much in my previous review. FA's and service were excellent, the food was very good - not something often heard here, but it was great on this flight. I do hope that the airlines read these reviews and take note, the seat is the all important thing to the client, the old one works and the new one does not in it's current form - it looks cool but needs to be stretched out and given more shoulder space, and armrest please!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 April 2014 by H Stevens (UK)

Flew out of LHR to Newark day flight Sun 6th April. Used the Clubhouse - good but not easy to find 5 seats all together for our family group. Good service and very quick through Heathrow! Nice flight with great staff in Upper Class. Teenagers loved the films etc. Way back was a different story on 19.30 flight on Thurs 10th Apr. Still very good in the Clubhouse at Newark (advised us to order food early if we wanted a meal, which we did as travelling overnight so wanted to eat early then sleep on plane). Staff on plane not as helpful as outbound. We arrived to find our overhead lockers full of other passengers' stuff - not much help from staff to get this sorted and our 5 lots of hand luggage stowed. Main complaint is that FA would not give me any breakfast despite filling in form night before and despite asking her to be woken up. Even though this was an hour before landing, apparently 'Supervisor' had said no more food to be served. Supervisor then turned up with one croissant! I stupidly paid full price for that seat, (as needed the flexibility for business) but felt completely let down by the service on that flight. Virgin - your staff are letting you down! Back to BA for us if you can't even give us breakfast sorry.

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax