Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

4 Star Airline

a World 4-Star Airline

Read Virgin Atlantic Airways Passenger Reviews and Virgin Atlantic Airways customer trip Reports

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by A Wild (UK)

VS085 on 15 Sep 2013 out of Manchester UK. Traveled with most airlines to USA but this first time with Virgin from Manchester to Las Vegas was by far the best experience yet. Flight attendants were pleasant and attentive, The food was surprisingly good and plenty of it. Seating was typical of all economy cabins. Will definitely use again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 October 2013 by C Lambert (Canada)

YVR-LHR, Sept 11/13, VS95. I decided to fly Virgin to experience what they advertise. Was extremely disappointed with this flight. Right from check in where an elderly Customer Service persons who presented with poor attitude when I checked into Economy, not once but twice. The flight right from take off on "Molly" which was obviously an old aircraft not kept up to the standard Virgin advertises. The crew had no time for the Economy cabin, the evening meal was rushed through with no refreshment (drink) offered before dinner. Absolutely no snacks offered after dinner (for a good six hours) till they served breakfast which was awful a small dry bagel and cream cheese and orange juice. None of the flight crew came around to offer any water and juice (like they normally do) Over all this was a very bad flight and experience on Virgin which I doubt will use again. The return journey on Sept 28, LHR-YVR was much better with a very pleasant and hard working flight crew, that treated all cabins with respect and good service. The comparison between the 2 flights was like day and night.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  26 September 2013 by Charles Ford (USA)

I am a well-experienced traveler, 100% of the time on Delta. I always fly Business Elite, both domestic and international. The Virgin Upper Class experience was inferior to Delta in the following ways: the aircraft itself (A340-600), the seats, the service, the meals (both delivery and the meal itself), the entertainment and the overall product. The exception was the staff, all of whom were exemplary. I would be happy to discuss this with anyone who would like more information. Delta's Business Elite is superior to Virgin's Upper Class on all counts.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  26 September 2013 by A Tyler (UK)

My partner and I were due to get married in Vancouver in September 2013 and we thought we would go the extra mile and fly Virgin. A month later I get an email from Virgin saying the flights had been cancelled and they could now not fly us out until the 3rd September. I phoned their customer services department and was told there was nothing they could do. After 30 minutes they eventually agreed to upgrade us to premium economy for the flights on 3rd which I accepted. On 3rd Sep, we arrived at the airport and on check-in I mentioned the upgrade. Told only one of us could have the upgrade. There was no way my partner and I wanted to be separated for a 10 hour flight. He said there was nothing he could do, there was only room for 1 of us so we were stuck in economy. The flight crew supervisor came over and explained she knew what had happened and was very apologetic. She said there was not room for both of us in premium economy but that her and the cabin crew would give us the premium service where we were sat to try and make the flight better. I have to say the staff were brilliant. They could not do enough. They brought my partner and I champagne before we even took off. They then continued to top our glasses up with champagne for the entire flight. We were given our first choice of meals and our meals first and when we landed, the flight crew have us another bottle of champagne to take with us. Fantastic service and flight from that crew. I then telephoned customer services to complain and I was told they will now give us the upgrade on the way home which when we got to the airport, they again said there was no room for us in premium economy and we weren't upgraded as agreed. We will not be flying virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 September 2013 by Stephen Middleton (UK)

Manchester to Las Vegas Stag party nightmare, 9 hours of hell. Party drunk when boarded, given more alcohol by attendants, allowed to drink their Duty Free Vodka and the they were sold 20 bottles of mini champagne. Swearing, inappropriate language used, the attendants made it a no go zone and other passengers in the this area were left to attend to themselves. Apparently this has been a regular occurrence on Las Vegas flights. Never again with Virgin.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  20 September 2013 by R Sprow (USA)

August 15-22 2013, EWR-LHR-DXB and return. First time on Virgin, and a disappointment except for the stylish attitude. Economy all the way, but tried an upgrade to Premium Economy on one return leg which they offered at a low price. Very mediocre entertainment system with limited selections, movies on loops instead of on demand, and surprisingly not many music choices- all with lots of rebooting and starting over. Way below Emirates and even other carriers. Food was small portions and poor, which supported my policy to eat as little on planes as possible. Breakfast was like US Air, very minimal. Tight seating in general, last leg was far in the rear of Airbus with seat so narrow I was in hip pain for a week after. Premium Economy was very good, in terms of seats, same and entertainment. Upper class just one row ahead did not look inviting, I see the point of the many comments. Travel agent chose this carrier for best price, but everyone else is better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 September 2013 by J Flynn (UK)

LGW-LAS return last week, the quality of the staff and the food in the economy cabin left a lot to be desired, the staff looked tired and on occasions seemed sullen, the food was some of the worse I have had on an international flight, I felt as if the staff gave the impression that the passengers were a bit of a bind only to be tolerated, certainly not service with a smile. real or otherwise. I would suggest that the owner of this airline travels in economy to experience the conditions for himself.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 September 2013 by Paul Harvey (UK)

LHR to LAX return: We flew economy and having flown with them to India earlier this year, we decided not to expect much. The flight outwards (June) was a little delayed because the Captain was stuck on the M25 in a traffic jam but we arrived in LAX only a few minutes late. The flight back (September) left on time and arrived early. Both planes were reasonably new and the entertainment systems worked once they had been rebooted. Check-in staff were helpful and took our "just over the weight limit bags" without comment. Food on both legs was very poor and having suffered their dreadful versions of vegetarian food when we went to India, I had taken the precaution of buying my own main course at M&S (LHR) or at a deli (LAX) - this proved to be a wise choice and I was the envy of my row. On the return flight, pre-meal drinks arrived after we had eaten which seemed a bit strange. Breakfast offerings in economy were a complete joke and not worth accepting. The cabin crew worked reasonably hard but I did get a little tired of cabin announcements. They did give everyone the impression that the trip was a holiday for them and they were going to have a good time when they got to LAX (or LHR) and were very self congratulatory over the PA system on "how hard they had worked to please us". Maybe they think that if they say it often enough, we will believe them. We had a choice of airlines when booking our flights and chose the cheapest but on reflection, we will fly with BA next time because despite the complaints they get, we think they are better than Virgin. Our first choice would be Air New Zealand but they are much more expensive.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 September 2013 by A Franke (UK)

VS20 flight from London Heathrow to San Francisco and back. We never got a chance to choose our seats (not during booking or before check in or at check in). Seats and leg room is tight. Found it even tighter (claustrophobic even upstairs). Food (especially breakfast) is a joke. Staff are not trying to help at all. Poor service. All the money must go into these fancy commercials. Worst part: Virgin lost one of our suitcases and it took them 9 days to send it. Worst customer service. Will not fly again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 September 2013 by J Lang (UK)

We travel LGW to BGI every year, and we always find the experience in Premium Economy really good. Never had a bad flight. This year was just the same - check-in easy, security easy, boarding really easy and the same the other end. The pre-flight drink was much larger than a 'thimble-full'!!!! The crew were helpful and polite, they ran out of newspapers but went out of their way to get us one. Perhaps couples should share one, not have one each? The food was OK, but then I have never been a fan of airline food, but my partner enjoyed it. The afternoon tea is great and just what you want before getting ready to land. All in all another wonderful Virgin experience, I don't know what some people want!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  17 September 2013 by B Wilson (USA)

Came from London to New York last night, Sep 15, 2003. My husband and I always travel very light - only hand luggage. We couldn't print our boarding passes ahead of time because we were not at home, so they sent as through check in. The only woman at the counter wanted to weigh hand luggage and as they were 1 kg over 10 kg limit, she wanted us to pay or throw away some of our belongings. We came with this luggage without problems. We will never travel Virgin Airlines again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Caroline Richardson (UK)

We came to Vegas last Sunday and are dreading the flight home. Staff were rude to passengers, very cramped and I got the only man rude enough not to put his chair upright when we ate! Other people on the flight mentioned it to and also said they would not fly Virgin again either. Don't know if we could upgrade for return journey but would love too. The food was awful.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 September 2013 by Julie Tunks (UK)

Flew Virgin Upper Class from London Heathrow to Vancouver and return. The lounge at Heathrow was excellent, although several people were complaining about tables not being cleared, and staff chatting at the end of the bar instead of giving good service. The food on the outward flight was awful. Our first choice was fillet steak, but after waiting about 30 mins we were told there wasn't enough beef, and we would have to choose again. The choice therefore was Thai green veg curry, or chicken. Both were awful. We were then told that the wine we chose wasn't available and we'd have to choose again. Not good enough when you paid thousands of pounds for upper class service. We complained to the head cabin crew, who encouraged us to fill in a complaints form, which we duly did. On the return journey things went from bad to worse. The lounge at Vancouver airport was a room about 12m square, with no windows, and in the middle of the departure gates area. The food and drink available was almost inedible! Coffee from a flask, no milk for tea, one choice in wine, fizzy drinks from cans, uncomfortable seating area. The flight was good, and the food marginally better than the outward flight. On both flights the aircraft was old, with out of date entertainment. All in all, apart from being able to lie down and get some sleep, for me, there would be no advantage in flying Virgin Upper Class again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  13 September 2013 by R Bateman (UK)

Heathrow to JFK, VS045, 4 Sep 2013. VS004 inbound, 8 September 2013. Very poor inflight service. Cabin crew did not answer any call lights at all, they were completely ignored. Food was average to poor. Two drinks supplied throughout the whole seven and a half hour flight. Leg room is quite tight, I couldn't get any proper rest throughout the flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Natalie Bye (UK)

Flight out we all sat in the upstairs economy, which is much better than downstairs. You feel less squashed in and you have extra room next to the window seat. Flight was to Las Vegas and they ran out of beer. I only wanted one towards the end of the flight but guess you had to get there quicker. Food was very average. Probably the poorest I've had on a long haul flight. Small portions and no little extra bits. Flight back we sat downstairs and was awful. My seat was broken and slipped of the edge every time I moved. We had no window. Again food was poor. No hot breakfast, just a really hard cereal bar and a flat blueberry bun. Only alcohol available on this flight was spirits and red wine, as they ran out of everything on the was to Las Vegas.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 September 2013 by J Flanders (UK)

JNB-LHR. Literally the worst long haul airline I have ever flown with! The Inflight Entertainment was broken the whole 11 hours but its really bad anyway. The food was fine but the crew were rude and acted like they hated their jobs. The only nice thing was the aircraft A340-600 nice planes but if only the seats were comfortable. If you are flying to or from London I would choose British Airways by miles over Virgin it was a complete disappointment! I have flown with many airlines from Cathay Pacific to Qantas, Emirates etc, and this has been the most unpleasant.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 September 2013 by L Jepson (UK)

LHR to JFK - Slick service - crew friendly and professional. Good choice of entertainment. Clean, newer plane. Food and drinks OK: drinks, lunch, soft drinks, ice cream and afternoon tea. In contrast on return - older plane and crew seemed 'stretched'. Difficult to hear any announcements due to the accent of the senior crew member, glad there wasn't an emergency! A night flight but felt everything was rushed and certainly not in the same league as the outward flight.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 September 2013 by David Lee (USA)

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Is Not Worth The Money - I recently took my wife to London (from NYC), for her birthday, and decided to splurge on Upper Class. Luckily we only purchased Upper Class going and Premium Economy coming back. We found Premium Economy to be quite comfortable and worth the extra expense but not so for the upper class. The upper class seats convert to beds which use the back of the seat as their basis - very hard and uncomfortable! You cannot make the conversion yourself so it is very bothersome to convert back when you find you cannot sleep. If you are paying for this yourself it is not worth the money. The premium economy seats were very comfortable and a decent value for the money.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 September 2013 by Mark Harlow (Australia)

VS 201, from Sydney to London via Hong Kong 1/9/13. Very cautious about flying with Virgin after reading all the negative reviews. Online check in and boarding a breeze. Seat comfortable and spacious even with seat in front reclined. Service from cabin crew efficient if a bit robotic, not much in the way of chatting or small talk. Thimble of sparkling wine served at boarding, not refilled. Pre dinner drink served then the meal itself. Meal tasty but very small serving. Ordered chicken and requested white wine which was served warm. Given ice to cool it down. Thimble of brandy served after the meal. Water and juice served regularly during the flight as well as an ice cream. On the whole an ok experience, the space and comfort is what I paid for. It does not compare with Qantas, which I flew in December. What could be a great service is let down by penny pinching. If you can get a Qantas ticket for the same price or a little more than VA I would suggest you take it.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  4 September 2013 by Stewart Vare (Honduras)

LHR-MIA, July 18, A330-300. Made seat selection for my wife and I when purchased the tickets in economy, I go to on-line check-in the night before to find the seat selection changed and we are 20 rows apart. So telephone Virgin, nothing can be done less that 24 hours as passenger lists are at the airport, they suggest, try changing when checking in. However then they suggest if I upgrade there is space in Premium Economy, they connect me to a salesperson who explains that Premium Economy is like Business with other airlines. Virgin, call it 'Business' then, instead of this upgraded economy and save us all time. I am convinced Virgin changed my seats on purpose so as to push us to the upgrade. The upgrade was ridiculously expensive and not worth it. Food and beverage very mediocre, entertainment hand-set didn't work, (the passengers behind had to change seat as theirs didn't work at all). Sorry Virgin, first time traveller and you've lost me.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by A Magowan (UK)

LHR - Miami. On an older 747-400 aircraft, the interior was a little shabby and dated but generally clean. IFE worked no problem but the entire row in front of me all had to be moved as their screens did not work. Plenty of meals and refreshments offered, quality of the food was generally good but the options were limited. In general a fairly pleasant flight however the only down side was the surly attitude of the flight attendants.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by David Bashford (UK)

Just back off Virgin Atlantic flight from Shanghai to London. Agree with the other reviewer - entertainment system was out of the dark ages games that look like they were from when I was young and movies on loops. Others do it so much better. The Air New Zealand flight was superior as is Emirates when I travel to Dubai.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by J House (UK)

LHR-BOS-LHR, VS011/12, Premium Economy. Both flights on new A330-300s, both clean and well-equipped. PE seats are good but I swear the pitch is shorter than PE on the VS 747s, though the official stats suggest not. AVOD was good, unusually they didn't switch off for landing which was a bonus. Staff were polite and friendly on both flights. On the return flight breakfast was served 1h40 mins before landing - outrageously and unnecessarily early for a relatively short night-time flight - in PE you would expect to be left to get more sleep! Otherwise, high standard, better than BA's World Traveller Plus even in the new cabins.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  3 September 2013 by Casper Yap (USA)

JFK-LHR, Upper Class. Cannot complain about the trip. Spent time at the lounges beforehand, including having the meal and showers. Crew polite and helpful, especially for 5 yo kid. Meal portions in plane small, but not an issue for me. AVOD okay. Being able to lie flat for the transatlantic flight even for 3-4 hours appreciated. Refreshers lounge in T3 on arrival, is a good idea to wash up before hitting the city.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 September 2013 by Campbell Fraser (UK)

VS 096, YVR-LHR, 28/9/2013, Seat 3G. Upper Class on board A330 - what's the point? Were their seat pods designed by a human being. There's just not enough room to move in any direction. You don't sit "in" these pods, you sit "on" them. Even sitting typing, my elbows are knocking on hard surfaces. The cabin crew have to walk with a pronounced wiggle, sashaying and swaying, to avoid hitting people. Plus, apart from a pop down shelf, there's nowhere to put anything, and you're hemmed in by a glass screen to your right. The entertainment system wasn't working on this flight. The Steward didn't know how to operate it, and suggested we "try to find" another set of headphones. We're approaching LHR at the moment, and I'm still waiting. When my main course arrived it was cold. I mentioned these two issues to the CSD/Senior CC member, who offered me some points by way of compensation. You're either a fan of the herringbone configuration or you're not, but at least on the A340 it's 1-1-1, whereas on the A330 it's 1-2-1. Sleeping in these pods is so uncomfortable that I'd rather have had an old fashioned, semi fold- back seat, down the back, than having endured one of these pods. If you do manage to nod off, just wait because sooner or later you'll be knocked into, nudged by someone trying the aisle-wiggle as they go by. The lounge at YVR is the anyone-can-pay generic North American lounge. No champagne, hot food options are off a children's menu (baby pizza, baby hot dogs, mini meatballs), the seating is tiny and (again) squeezed in, and the fake marble- topped coffee tables were falling to bits. The furnishings were tatty, scuffed and bashed about. The seating areas outside the lounge was far superior. Overall: a terrible product, badly maintained and cynically delivered.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2013 by Nick Power (UK)

Flew to Dubai from Heathrow, not flown Virgin for over 3 years and was painfully reminded why I no longer fly Virgin. Old tatty plane, poor food and an entertainment system from the dark ages that didn't work for many. The marketing is great for them but the delivery of the service is dreadful, couldn't understand why the staff were just so rude and plain unhelpful, sadly a week later returned and the same plane and same issues. Virgin used to be so good.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  29 August 2013 by F Scouseacus (UK)

MCO-MAN. Virgin Atlantic is usually OK if I discount a terrible Manchester to Orlando last year. Flight back from Orlando this year was exceptional. Plane was clean. Entertainment was first rate and comprehensive. Staff were excellent, particularly when dealing with a passenger who decided that he would sit in a row (extra leg room) which he had not paid for. I know the argument about paying extra but they are the rules corporate make and crew have to abide by them as well as passengers. Isn't it funny how indignant people get when being told - gently and respectfully in this case - they are in the wrong seat.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  28 August 2013 by Vernon Hills (UK)

Travelled on the new 330/300, ORD-LHR with the new layout in Upper Class and found it one of the most uncomfortable Business class seats I have used in recent years. I travel over 500000 miles a year therefore feel well able to compare. Virgin have managed to squeeze an extra 7 seats into the first 7 rows. It is impossible to negotiate between the seats without knocking into other passengers feet. The suites are so small it is almost impossible to sleep comfortably. When other carriers are improving their business class product across the Atlantic. Virgin are going backwards. I have used Virgin Atlantic for many years but will have to seriously look at other options.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 August 2013 by E Amiri (Australia)

Upper Class, Sydney-Hong Kong in August. The upper class service of this airline is equivalent to Premium economy service of many of the other airlines. The seats are tiny, minimal storage, low quality screens, bad positioning of seats which means you have your back to the windows the whole time! Food is average for Business/First class service. Ground crew in Hong Kong were plain rude. Air crew were not rude but were very forgetful, didn't really seem caring and seemed to be rushing all the time even though there were many of them around. Don't use this airline unless you have to or would like to save some cost while having a "better than economy" seat. They are cheaper than others for a reason.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 August 2013 by Justin Petersen (UK)

EDI-LHR. From start to finish the entire Virgin "Little Red" experience was very good. I checked in online but baggage drop service was professional, boarding was wonderfully organised, on busier flights, they stagger people onto the aircraft so the cabin doesn't get too busy. Everyone was friendly and flight was punctual. With Virgin it's always the small things and this airlines continues to do that.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  19 August 2013 by A Domican (Ireland)

Flew business class to Dubai. Clubhouse fantastic, flight very good, staff very attentive, a bit mean with drink offerings but I put it down to being an overnight flight. Amenity kit is rubbish compared to Ethiad or Qatar, bed very comfortable and I slept for 3 hrs. Looking forward to return flight to compare it with outbound. Would recommend. Inflight entertainment terrible, as it was an old plane they give out iPads with films on them.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2013 by D Berryhill (Australia)

Sydney - Hong Kong return in economy. Boarding was fairly smooth and quick for both flights. Both flights on time. On board service was good as per my wife's request when she asked for a drink or coffee. The inflight entertainment was ok, mine froze up had to be reset once, and it seemed to be slow to upload movies. The two things that let down this experience the most was the seat pitch and the food. The meals were average in taste and appearance (I do understand this is economy). By far the worst was the seat space. I am 6'1" and on both flights my knees where touching the seat in front. The equipment box under my seat took away further space. My wife who is 5'7" mentioned to me that she felt cramped in her seat. Because of the tight fit comfortable rest was impossible. Would be nice if the review section would allow one to choose two and a half stars, instead of two or a three.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2013 by C Thompson (Ireland)

Flew from Shanghai to London Heathrow on a connecting flight from New Zealand. There were delays at the airport and while on the tarmac waiting to take off - ground staff and cabin crew were extremely good dealing with the delays and offered passengers a great drinks service etc. When boarding the aircraft, the air stewardess noticed that it was an Air New Zealand printed boarding pass, as I had just connected from another flight and asked me how my previous flight was - small, thoughtful things like this were very much appreciated on such a long journey! All staff were extremely attentive, courteous and friendly throughout. The food and drinks service was far above what I had been expecting and there was a great selection, with a drinks service regularly. Seat was comfortable and inflight entertainment was great. A flight pack with little items such as a tooth brush, socks etc was included too. Due to a delay out of Shanghai I knew I was going to miss my next connection from London. When I asked a member of the cabin crew about this she was very helpful, even after leaving the aircraft when I was dealing with ground staff, she came over to make sure everything was okay. Ground staff in London again were excellent and had organised alternative flights the next day, with an over night stay at a great hotel with dinner, breakfast and transfers included. Excellent customer service and will definitely travel with Virgin again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 August 2013 by Philip Griffiths (UK)

Flew from London to Johannesburg on 28th July. The worst flight I have been on in the last couple of years, food and service was terrible, the seat was fine but unable to sleep due to too much noise which the stewardesses did nothing about. The return flight I was not allocated my extra leg room which I paid for, very dissatisfied.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  12 August 2013 by A Mills (UK)

Cancun to Gatwick. After take off many passengers wanted a drink of any sort. Cabin crew told us drinks were only being served with the meal. Service of this meal was very unsatisfactory with alcohol, water and meal tray all being presented at the same time. Not a pleasant experience. The meal itself was very second rate too. Stale roll, awful salad and rubber dessert. No offer of second drink except the tea/coffee. After meal the trays and rubbish of several rows was not collected and we eventually (along with others) piled this up in separate seats. This waste was not collected until after serving of pre-landing "snack". Several hours before landing my partner called for staff as she needed a drink. 45 minutes later no-one had come so she went to where they were and asked for a tea. She was told that breakfast was about to be served so not possible. 30 minutes later "breakfast" arrived. "Breakfast" was pretty awful and I was very disappointed that this was the Virgin menu. Rock hard and frozen croissant? Only good thing about Virgin now is the entertainment package.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  9 August 2013 by Liz Quinton (UK)

We regularly fly with VS LGW-LAS and LAX-LHR. We experienced the new PE upstairs on the way out and it was really nice - lots of space. Downside is that they have now added economy class as well upstairs and the toilets are at the front in PE cabin. This meant we had people queuing by us a lot of the time which was really annoying as the aisle is narrow and people were leaning on our seats - Virgin - please get this right - we pay a premium for a reason. On way back less space, seats were a bit cramped.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  7 August 2013 by Graham Andrew (UK)

I travel London to Boston every summer for work. I used to travel Virgin Atlantic until 2 years ago, when my evening flight was delayed 10 hours. I was put into an airport hotel by the airline. Flight was rescheduled to depart at 5am. When I was charged $75 for excess baggage, I asked for it to be waived owing to the inconvenience. They said "no". I asked to be upgraded to business class, owing to the inconvenience. They said "no". I asked to be compensated for the inconvenience. They said "no". I have not been on a Virgin flight since.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  6 August 2013 by Ryan Hack (UK)

Flew to America on 22nd July 2013 and return on 4th July. Outbound we had a pleasant and entertaining flight, staff were kind and always offering to help. Airplane was clean and once on-board we were provided with a warm blanket and sleeping package. Food provided wasn't the best, although, better than other airline food. Seat comfort was excellent, touch screen televisions where you could pick from hundreds of new movies. Staff service was of very high standard, they came around with free beverages regularly. However this all changed when flying home from America. When boarding, our seating area was in poor condition with ripped seats and dirty food scattered across the floor. Televisions were not touch screen, the wide range of entertainment seemed to have decreased. Lavatories were diabolical and smelt. Food wasn't high standard and the coffee provided tasted like water, my meal of pasta was nearly frozen and tasted awful. Seat comfort was terrible. No leg room. Staff service wasn't high standard and they spoke to many passengers with attitude. I had problems with the temperature of the airplane and when asking for assistance they told me; "What can we do about it?". Staff members didn't seem bothered with any complaints.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Karl Doyle (UK)

Flew Premium Economy on VS39 VS40 and I've got to say was pleasantly surprised given the negative comments on here, the planes were clean, VERA worked both ways without fail, the crew were excellent, charming even. Both flights departed on time, luggage was all but ready by the time we got to the carousel. I am getting the impression (as I've flown from LGW to Vegas and Florida on several occasions) that the Heathrow crews are just much better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by David Brown (UK)

LGW to LAS return ORD to LHR. Flight to Vegas good. In the bubble of a 747. Good on demand video, aircraft newly refurbished. Flight back on an A340 with dreadful inflight entertainment from the stone age. The crew were good on both flights, kept us supplied with water and orange juice. My only real complaint was the food! Not expecting gourmet in cattle truck class, but the food really is dreadful. The food out was passable (just) but the return leg from Chicago was inedible. Bread rolls that resembled a pet rock, a lump of gristle the menu said was beef and breakfast was some lump of coloured sugar called a breakfast bap, another lump of sugar called oat bar, and a frozen lump of sugar called orange juice. And to finish - a mini roll of love hearts sweets! Come in Virgin - we know you need to keep costs down, but surely you could do better that that?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Illenberger Joachim (Germany)

JFK-LHR (final destination HAM) on VS 046 (747-400) as a family of 5, including one infant. Check-in in JFK took 30 min. I asked for information on how to transfer from T3 to T5 at LHR but no info was available. At the gate in JFK we handed over our stroller to ground staff for delivery at a/c in LHR. In the a/c eventually we were then told that at LHR strollers are only delivered at the baggage belt and never at aircraft. Well, our stroller is still missing. Shortly after take-off we asked for a baby bassinet. It was only then that cabin crew advised us that our daughter is 1kg over the 9kg bassinet-limit so we won't be able to use it. Meal quality is what it is for Economy Class - nothing wrong about that. Surprised to see that cabin crew would not go around to distribute water or sodas during the night. Astonished by the general behaviour of most of the cabin crew: mainly impudent, sloppy and almost rude. To summarise it was a pretty lousy experience and a big disappointment for me as I always thought very highly of VS and their product strategies. Instead of service trained cabin crew we had the impression to be taken care of by a crew of teenage girls in uniforms. While the IFE is very comprehensive (but nothing extraordinary anymore compared to today's standard), the human contact still is the most important part of product quality in the airline business and this is were in my view VS failed completely.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  2 August 2013 by Henry Kersten (New Zealand)

We had booked an Air NZ flight but with Star Alliance ended up with a part journey Heathrow to San Francisco on Virgin Atlantic. I had the misfortune of getting sick during the flight. Once they realised I was sick and not in need of emergency medical help they ignored me and my flight was awful. Never made any effort to assist. They said they would get our carry on bags taken for us. As we had a family of five with small children we had a number of bags. As soon as I took a step off the flight they decided they could not. You can imagine my feelings towards them at that point. Should be avoided at all costs.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  1 August 2013 by John Wells (UK)

LGW-ANU and return. Excellent flight experience. Seats were comfortable and converted into lie-flat beds, with proper sheets and pillows as well as a "sleep-suit" provided. Service was friendly and efficient. Food outstandingly good.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  31 July 2013 by Khattab Youssef (USA)

LAX-LHR-LAX on an airbus A340-600. Both flights were wonderful and comfortable. Check-in staff and inflight cabin crew were welcoming and helpful. The food, drinks and snacks were great. Clean cabin. Inflight entertainment was excellent. Inflight amenity kit also given. Would definitely use for my next travel plans.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  30 July 2013 by S Gadd (UK)

Very disappointed, flight going out to Orlando from Gatwick ok. Flight coming back was a joke, 747-400, very cramped, unable to put tray down as not any room. Husband had to ask for a drink of water an hour into flight as nothing offered. Dinner served 1.5 hrs later if you can call it dinner. Breakfast was a flat muffin, a thin biscuit and a mouthful of orange. Staff very rude. I will never use them again.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 July 2013 by C Dano (Switzerland)

LHR-NYC-LHR on 747's. Planes were old and surprisingly dirty. Staff nice and chatty, trying to make you feel welcome and providing a good service. Cabin and IFE old and worn out. I would recommend VS only if you get your ticket for a good price, otherwise the other European carriers are a better alternative.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 July 2013 by L Scott (UK)

Little Red - LHR-MAN VS3041 - 22/07/13 - MAN-LHR VS3044 - 24/07/13. Check-in staff at LHR very friendly and engaged with customers, Boarding and departure was on-time and landed early into Manchester. Same standard of product offered as BA onboard. Check-in staff at MAN where inattentive and didn't interact with customers. At the gate the same staff were boarding passengers onto the plane again no customer service at all and the staff just chatted to each other whilst scanning customer boarding cards. Flight left 15 mins ahead of schedule and landed 30 mins early into LHR. Both flights where quite empty the crew didn't have much to do so I wouldn't like to comment to much here and as time passes and the flights hopefully get busier then I hope the crew will be able to become more customer engaging. Overall the only thing that let my trip down was the Manchester check in staff. Came across to me as either bored or not interested in the customers.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  25 July 2013 by Angela Emms (Australia)

Originally booked under the impression that this was a direct flight from Sydney to London. There was a stopover in Hong Kong where passengers were herded off the plane, herded through a security check, through passport control and onto the plane where we proceeded to sit on the runway for 3 hours. Plane was late into London and we missed our connection. Virgin issued us new tickets which we took to BA only to discover that we had been issued with tickets but the flight had not been booked and the best that they could offer was 3 separate seats. Arrived at our destination 5 hours late. On the return journey to Australia I was informed in London that my 5 year old granddaughter could not be booked on the flight from Sydney to Brisbane, and was to ask at the desk in Hong Kong. In HK a surly staff member informed me he couldn't book her on either, on returning to the security check I was informed that my tickets were on the wrong date. Back to the long queue. Armed with the right ticket we reached the plane and arrived in Sydney on time. Our flight to Brisbane had been cancelled - a 6 hour delay. I have been doing a lot of international travel over the last 40 years but I have never experience 2 such journeys. I will never again fly Virgin and I will not recommend them to anyone.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 July 2013 by Martyn Chant (UK)

LHR-BOS on newly acquired A330-300 flight, VS11 returning on the same aircraft flight VS12 some 2 weeks later. We booked Premium Economy both ways and were interested to see how the new aircraft compared to the A340-600 and the B747 we had used with VA over the past 20 years making the same trip. Our flight out was fine (day flight) with all of the staff very attentive and efficient. Refreshments were plentiful and the food ok. The new Premium Economy seats were just about acceptable given the quite short leg room. Boarding excellent. Return journey (night flight) was very disappointing with quite a late dinner leaving about 2+ hours for some sleep before time for their so called breakfast. This night flight seemed understaffed or were very inefficient but the most disappointing aspect was how uncomfortable the seating was when the person in front put their seats back into the fully reclining position. Being only just over 6 feet tall the seat pressed on my knees for most of the time making any sleep impossible. Also very difficult to get up to stretch or visit the washroom. The food was substandard and poorly presented. What a disappointment bring back Premium Economy in the bubble of the 747's or can I suggest that VA management take a trip and fly Premium Economy with Air New Zealand to see how it should be done!

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  24 July 2013 by J Triton (USA)

VS007 and 008 from Los Angeles to London Heathrow and back. Overall, very impressed. Service is excellent. Staff keep you well fed and hydrated, even in economy. Obviously, it's still airplane food. However, the entrees were hot, the salads were cold, and everything they gave us was filling and edible. Seats are a mixed bag. On the way to London (on board an A340-600), I had a bulkhead seat. The extra legroom was nice, but the seat was extremely narrow because it had the tray table and TV in the armrest. In addition to that, the seatbelt (for some inexplicable reason) was extremely thick and padded. Between the thick armrests and the thick seatbelt, I easily lost 3 inches of seat width. Spent the whole flight with my knees jammed together, it was miserable. However, on the flight back, I was on a 747-400. I sat in the back of the plane, where there are fewer seats per row, giving more room overall. On top of that, my seat had extra legroom for some reason (I'm not exactly sure why...) - I just know that it was one of the first flights I've ever been on that my knees weren't touching the seat in front of me. Entertainment was very good. The only problem I had was that on the flight out (in the bulkhead seat), the TV was stowed on the floor and the extended up in front of me. The screen had been repeatedly kicked and flickered in and out, and the remote stopped working halfway through the flight. In the end, I highly recommend Virgin. My recommendation is that if you choose to fly Virgin, avoid the bulkhead seats. The extra legroom is not worth it.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  23 July 2013 by D Cheung (Australia)

VS200 from Hong Kong to Sydney. Sat just behind the first row of PE cabin, there are quite a few babies, crying and screaming, didn't bother me. Staff very efficient and helpful, proactive. Seat very comfortable, great legroom. Welcome drinks are juices or champagnes, the glasses used for the champagne are the smallest I have ever seen on a flight. FA kept doing more rounds of welcome drinks, so can have more juices or champagnes if you want. PE cabin totally full but didn't feel cramped, toilets wait time are acceptable even though some Economy passengers are using them. Main meal is very tasty and served on china and proper cutlery. The pre-landing breakfast is more Economy feel, plastic cutlery is used and minimal food but quite tasty and surprisingly juice is not available which is disappointing. All in all, a very good and comfortable trip.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  23 July 2013 by D Cheung (Australia)

VS201 from Sydney to Hong Kong. Boarding very smooth. Interiors look fine. Old fashioned entertainment system, navigation is not that easy, touch screen function is not available. Seat width is a little bit narrow but legroom is good. Food portion is small, especially the snacks before landing. Wines available are fine. FA are robotic, didn't display much enthusiasm in helping and dealing with passengers, they are efficient in doing the meal services. Toilets are clean all the time. A very smooth ride.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  22 July 2013 by David Husband (Australia)

VS200, LHR-SYD in Y+. I was advised at the gate in HKG that my IFE was not working so was given 20GBP vouchers for in sky shopping. The IFE eventually worked and the voucher was honoured! Again, pleasant crew but poor quality food and very limited drinks choice. I am in 2 minds about VS. I think they need to lift their game a bit. Flight left HKG late so we would not get to SYD before the curfew lifted. That could be planned better.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  18 July 2013 by Marten Grahn (Sweden)

Flight VS095, LHR-YVR, July 4 2013. Seats 61-63 A-C. Six people. Flight left and arrived on time. Flight entertainment good but no AVOD. The c seats bad screen and sound. Food, small portions. Seats narrow and short seatbelts, much longer on a short haul Boeing between ARN-LHR. Alcoholic drinks and pretzels that you can go and get in the galley when you want incl. gin and whisky. According to their website kids should get a backpack but when I asked they said they don't supply it anymore.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  16 July 2013 by Chris Henwood (UK)

Flown with Virgin Atlantic for the last 13 years and most of the time enjoyed it. My last flight was 2 years ago and they have lost the magic touch. Upgraded to premium economy last minute (Manchester-Orlando and New York-Heathrow) and staff was good enough but obviously short staffed. Anyone noticed they have stopped giving out bags with pens, flight socks, toothbrushes, ear muffs and so on in different colours?

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  15 July 2013 by Jeff van Andel (USA)

VS019 from Heathrow to SFO on 7/6/13 we had one of the worst customer service experiences. We were two adults and two children 12 and under. After arriving at Heathrow right on the hour before departure, the check in desk told us the flight was closed, the worst part of this is that the flight was delayed another hour and 20 minutes before it even boarded. We re-booked after talking with 4 different employee's only getting us to JFK and with having to pay an extra booking fee of $250 a piece. Now in JFK with few flights to get us home. Thinking that Virgin America would help us out with the cost of getting home was completely out of the question. We had to pay for the next two days of hotels and travel.

Virgin Atlantic Airways Customer review :  11 July 2013 by A Sheppard (UK)

Manchester to Orlando and back. Economy seats are the most uncomfortable I have encountered. Food was also the worst that my husband and I have ever had on an airline. The portions were small and you got the feeling that this was the cheapest meal that Virgin could order. The 'breakfast' coming back was 'muffin tops', granola bar and a small bit of juice. So basically sugar, sugar and more sugar. I don't expect bacon and eggs in economy, but even a good quality croissant with some butter would have been better. Served no tea and coffee as they said there was a 'problem' out of Manchester. This flight left Orlando, so not sure why they couldn't order supplies out of Orlando. The only thing good I can say was that I thought the inflight entertainment was good and that the crew were attentive. It's not their fault that they were serving the cheapest of cheap catering. I thought on both legs that they regularly came around with water/juice during the flight. I would only fly Virgin again if there were no other choice.

Earlier comments for Virgin Atlantic have been archived (ie. prior to the date of last comment above).

| Home | Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax