Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

WATCH the Videos to Experience Airline Product and Service

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by D May    (Australia)

MEL-SGN, VN780, 21 Apr. SGN-CDG, VN11, 21 Apr. I don't normally travel business class, but for this Europe trip we paid the extra. We flew MEL-CDG. MEL-SGN was on a A330, which was in good condition, comfortable and virtually empty (there was only 4 people in business for this flight). We has access to the Qantas lounge in MEL. On arrival to SGN we were met by a tour guide who had organised a visa for us, and taken to a hotel for a few hours sleep. This was organised and paid for by the airline (you have to get your travel agent to do this in advance for you). SGN-CDG was on a 777. This plane was tired, but comfortable. I got to sleep quite easily, again the food was excellent, and the service the same. The IFE was an iPad, but this worked well and had a small but good selection on it.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2015 by M Cavanagh    (Australia)

Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi - flight time changed 5 times. Booked a 10 am flight, that finally departed at 4pm. Upgraded to Business class using "Optiontown". Very easy, but did not include lounge access. The service was excellent, the snack was more like a meal. The A321 was a little tired, seat comfortable but a little worn and there was no inflight entertainment.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by C Woodhouse    (UK)

We were wary about travelling with Vietnam Airways and I have to say all our fears were confirmed. We upgraded to Traveller Plus but apart from having more leg room the conditions were unacceptable. The upholstery on flight VN51 out of HCMC was disgraceful and the toilet floor was lifting. The galley units were scratched and appeared not to fit properly. Many seats had no screens and the same films were shown on both outward and inward journeys. The crew were rude, inattentive and uncooperative. We were delayed 2 hours. We will definitely not be recommending Vietnam Airways.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by K Lambert    (UK)

Flew out from Gatwick on VN 55 on 13th March returning into Heathrow on VN 54 on 31st March. Having read comments. critics regarding Vietnam Airline I was not looking forward to our return flight to Hanoi. However, our flight was excellent, on time and very comfortable. Would certainly travel with this airline again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by M Fellows    (Australia)

Flew HCM - Sydney on 10/4/15. Despite a full plane, both the toilets in the middle section were locked and unavailable for passenger use throughout the entire flight. Apparently it is not uncommon behavior from Vietnam Airlines cabin crew to do this, for reasons I am not entirely certain. Constant queues at the dirty rear toilets throughout the flight. Absolutely unprofessional and unacceptable.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by M Moess    (New Zealand)

VN 773 from Ho Chi Minh - Sydney. Worst airline ever. Ageing aircraft. No entertainment system on an 8hr flight, was available but not working, which makes you question what other upkeep and maintenance is lacking. Western food option run out with no option left. Flight late leaving late arriving with no attempt to make time up. Upon landing and bouncing on and off the runaway breathed a sigh of relief we were on the ground. Cabin crew on the upside professional and pleasant. Seats uncomfortable. Have travelled extensively throughout the world and this was the worse airline experience ever. Will not be flying Vietnam Airlines ever again!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by P Lewis    (UK)

Siem Reap to Da Nang. All economy class on this ATR turboprop service-but was fine for a 90 minute flight. Think Vietnam were the only service provider on this route so no choice really. We had a problem with our Vietnam Visa- my mistake entirely as I had put the wrong arrival date in my application-the ground staff at Vietnam Airlines Siem Reap went above and beyond to try and get approval for us to fly, and ended up speaking directly with the police Chief at Da Nang airport and they got us in! Kudos to them for their efforts as our trip was about to go horribly wrong. We have flown Vietnam Airlines several times in the past (in business) and are about to fly them again tomorrow to Bangkok (in business) - was a bit worried about the economy trip but should not have been concerned. All good-but seriously, their business class fares are not much more than economy so would really recommend you treat yourself!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Hai Ngo    (Australia)

KUL-SGN return on Airbus A221s. Both flights were on time. Planes were clean and the seats were comfortable. No IFE on such short flights. Food and drink were very good. Great value for money. Recommended.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2015 by J Leverton    (UK)

Paris to Hanoi, 777-200. Business class flight. Very good service. Polite and attentive. Very good food. Plenty of it with drinks available on demand. Seats were not lay flat but very good recline and fully adjustable. Cabin was comfortable with lights down for much of flight for good sleep. Entertainment via Ipad provided but had good selection of movies and programs. Aircraft's were quite old and looked worn. Would recommend this company to others.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by Sandra Adams    (UK)

Travelled on 27th Feb 2015 to Hanoi, the plane was old, food was ok. Came back on 14th March 2015 from Ho Chi Minh City leaving at 12 midnight. We were told an hour later no beef stroganoff only fish, not our choice therefore no meal. We asked for a snack, nuts or such like during the night as we were hungry and were told no snacks available. We were told breakfast would be served to us first, which they did only to find out that people a few rows in front were informed no omelette. We have been fortunate to travel on many airlines and treated and fed brilliantly, never again will we travel via Vietnam Airlines. As people before have said the majority people travelling were British. I would rate this as a 2* airlines and hope when they move to Heathrow they improve greatly for the sake of future travellers.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2015 by B Warner    (UK)

Just back from Ho Ch Minh City to London on 14th March 2015. 85% of passengers were English but only 50% of meals were omelettes as in menu. Large number of passengers were only offered beef noodles, not good at 4am.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by T Dunning    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Hanoi, Premium Economy. Plane old and very tired, service was acceptable, food was the best I have experienced on a flight. Return flight from Hanoi to Gatwick. Plane old and very tired, service was unacceptable and food was inedible. I understand that the airline is about to take delivery of new planes. Lets hope its the start of a consistent service for Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2015 by Peter J Thackray    (UK)

CXR-DAD, Internal morning flight. Check-in good, the usual 3 desks open processing passengers. Boarding on time and pushback about 10 minutes early, arrival also 10 minutes early, flight on a relatively new A321. Overall the attention to detail let down the flight and was indicative of some underlying attitudes. Cabin Crew did not appear to check everyone's seat belt was fastened prior to take-off, nor stow hats and coats that emergency row passengers had placed on an empty seat. A passenger decided to get up to use the toilet just after take-off when the Fasten Seatbelt sign was still illuminated but no comments/instructions from the cabin staff to return to seat! The final point was that the seatback pockets were not cleared out after the fights or even overnight as both my travelling companion and I found old boarding passes and other rubbish stuffed in the pockets - clearly the attention to detail is missing and needs work if the airline is to be truly successful!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Vic Dao    (USA)

December 2014, SGN-TPE on VN570: Besides the rather warm cabin temperature, everything else was relatively ok until I had to use the toilet. There was a line in the back of the plane because one toilet was locked up. When people started to ask questions, probably because they got tired of the wait, a crew member then unlocked that toilet and proceeded to clear out a bunch of luggage. Turns out that the flight crew was using that toilet to store their handheld luggage.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Chris Willey    (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to Ho Chi Minh, 24 January, returned Hanoi to London Gatwick, 9th February, with 3 internal flights within that period. Long haul flights - planes dated with uncomfortable seats but attentive and polite crew. Internal flights - modern aircraft and again, polite crew. If the quality of the 777's matched the staff this trip would have been good value, hopefully the airline can afford to upgrade their planes soon.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by M Durbridge    (UK)

First time to use Vietnam Airlines for a routine flight UK to Manila, reason being a return flight of £475, against an average of £700 to £800 with other carriers. Also used "Optiontown" to bid on having the adjacent 2 seats empty, two days before departure this was confirmed. Service on board was excellent, friendly crew willing to go the extra mile, unlike other carriers crew didn't disappear after the meal service, they were always on hand. Having 3 seats to myself was a joy, meaning I could lay down and get some shut eye (this for only £22" ). my only negative would be the dated entertainment system and lack of choice, other than that this airline is up there will all the other carriers in this route. Would definitely use again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Ravi Mene    (UK)

Flew LGW-HAN on 20 Jan 2015 and HCM-LGW on 4 Feb 2015. The cabin is in need of a major refurb! Cabin was clean but looked dull, old fashioned seats, broken controls stuck up with sellotape. Missing reading lights, IFE provided with pre loaded tablets, choice of food was meat and fish, normally most airlines have a choice of Veg option but that was missing, beverages OK, coffee was one of the best I've had at 40 thousand feet? Wash rooms had minimal products of non-descript origin for use but were clean. They do not have duty free goods on the plane. cabin staff were pleasant and helpful. The only advantage is this is a direct flight from LGW to Vietnam, otherwise there are choices if you are willing to take a flight from an overseas hub adding another 4-6 hours to a 12+ hours flight.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Venning Andrew    (Australia)

Flew Jan 2015, LGW-SGN-MEL. This was the return journey (see earlier post). Enjoyed the very nice lounge facilities at London Gatwick's Number 1 Lounge for four hours longer than anticipated due to a mechanical issue (a malfunctioning de-icing valve had to be replaced). This had to be sourced from Heathrow which explains the four hours. Finally the board in the lounge told us to proceed to the gate. Got there in 10 minutes but no-one was boarding. The crew hadn't arrived. We were told by the British company on the gate that they were resting in a local hotel and were only 10 minutes away. Well, that ten minutes turned into an hour. We finally got away four hours late which we never caught up. Flight in the pointy end was in the old B777 which definitely needs retiring. Food and service was good, had a good sleep in the 160 odd degree seats. Woke up with an hour and half to landing and were fed an OK western breakfast. We were met again at the transfer desk by a tour company representative who obtained a one day visa for us and went with us to a nice city hotel. Those Ho Chi Minh City scooters are something else! After a shower and sleep the rep met us in the lobby and took us back to the airport where he took us through immigration. Spent an hour or so in the Vietnam Airlines Lounge where we enjoyed the alcohol and massage chair. The food was OK. Boarded our flight to Melbourne on time in a much newer A330. Can't remember what I ordered from the menu but the food and drinks as well as the service was good. Slept most of the way until landing. Summary: For the price we paid over Christmas this has to be the deal of the year. Only two negatives. The long layovers in both directions in SGN and the old B777s (SGN-LGW). P.S: For sheer convenience, book a room the night before your departure at LGW's Premier Inn North Terminal or the more expensive Sofitel next door and walk 100 metres into departures.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Houlihan Dave    (UAE)

BKK-Hanoi return Business. Lounges nothing to write about, basic but as ever with Vietnamese people very friendly. All drinks, some basic food, but lounges look the 90/80's. On board hardwear good, A321 clean fresh. Crew very friendly, Food and beverage was above average and served with a smile. Landed on time, no Biz class fast track for immigration so about an hour with visa. Return overall the same so would recommend!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2015 by K Barden    (Australia)

19th Dec, VN 772. 20th Dec, VN 51. 3rd Jan, VN 50. 4th Jan, VN 773. I thought they were excellent! We flew from Sydney to London in Dec with our 9 month old baby. They are not completely flat beds but as we read a lot of reviews we expected that. The food was very good, staff were lovely and very helpful. The plane from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh is nicer then from Ho Chi Minh to London but is still fine.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Rowan Robertson    (Malaysia)

KUL to LGW (via SGN). First time I've used Vietnam Airlines and overall I was fairly impressed. On the short KUL to SGN leg we got a pretty substantial meal of decent quality - certainly much more than many other airlines seem to offer for a sub 2 hour flight, or, in some cases, for longer journeys than that. The A321 aircraft for this leg was also clean, comfortable and fairly new looking. For the longer SGN to LGW part it was a 777 and the state of its cabin was the one negative aspect of our Vietnam Airlines experience. It looked pretty worn and it was actually less comfortable in regards leg room and seat comfort than the A321. Personally, I don't really care about how good or bad the IFE is, but I could see what this 777 had probably wouldn't impress passengers who do care about the IFE. In spite of those negatives, I thought the service provided was really good. Again, good quality meals and I found the cabin crew to be pleasant and helpful. I would not agree with other reviewers criticisms of English abilities. Granted, none I came across could pass themselves off as native English speakers, but they were perfectly good enough to do the job. I, with zero Vietnamese ability, had no problems communicating with any of them at all. So a little unfortunate, I thought, that their staff's good work was somewhat undermined by the less impressive state of the cabin they were working in. I should mention another positive was the transfer at SGN. I'd been warned by a friend who used to live in Ho Chi Minh City that it was a terrible airport. Indeed, it was rather dated if glitzy shopping mall but it ticked the boxes that matter for me. Toilets were plentiful and all were spotlessly clean. Transit process was fast and efficient and simple food and drinks seemed much less of a rip off than many other international airports I've transferred via. Overall the pluses outweighed the minuses and I'd fly Vietnam again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by M Forbes    (Australia)

Flew DAD-SGN on VN113. Two days prior to departure, I received an email from the airline letting me know that the flight had been delayed 40 minutes. It was nice of them to let me know in advance as many airlines that I have previously traveled just wait to tell you at the airport. The flight itself was pleasant and comfortable. FA's just did their job and the service was okay, nothing special. The only time I really saw them was during take off and landing, and once to hand out complementary bottles of water. Overall, the airline was better than I was expecting and got me to my destination on time, yet the price was considerably higher than VietJet or Jetstar Pacific. I would still recommend Vietnam Airlines and would travel again if no cheaper alternatives.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by G Farrell    (UK)

After reading some of the reviews I came prepared with an inflatable cushion, battery powered fan, snacks and plenty of reading material! 12 pm flight from LGW. Seat was ok with enough room to stretch legs fully out, managed to get some sleep so can't be too bad. Lunch/dinner served almost immediately, food very average and not completely hot, ordered Hake with rice, got chewy Cod instead. Flight Attendants requested blinds be pulled down as they came around to collect the food trays, lights went out soon after at about 3 pm. As noted before they seem to treat this as a night flight, possibly for the crews benefit but judging by some chronic jetlag I suffered after arriving in Hanoi perhaps for passenger benefit too? My seatback monitor didn't work, only occasionally randomly displaying flight info. Captain stated over PA they were re-booting the entertainment system, made no difference, I had my phone and a book so no problem. At one point I was standing at the back of the plane and could see about half of the screens were playing films. Crew were efficient if not particularly friendly, makes a change from bland corporate insincere politeness! Plenty of passengers milling around at back of plane helping themselves to drinks and snacks. Toilets seemed to be all working and stocked with tissue paper and soap. Plane interior a little tired looking, my armrest had gaffer tape on it. Person in front had a light that wouldn't turn off, some paper was stuck over it by flight attendant. At one point I asked for a sandwich and was told they didn't have any, was given a pot noodle instead which wasn't very nice, later on I saw a tray of sandwiches in the galley! Surprisingly (ticket stated one meal only) we were served a hot breakfast, again very average (an omelette and ham). Airline not as bad as I feared, not great though, would fly with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

HAN-SGN / SGN-HUI/ HUI-HAN on 17th, 30th Dec. 2014 and Jan 4th 2015. All 3 flights were on Airbus 321. Good aircrafts, but dull interior. First flight delayed almost 2 hours of which the second hour was just waiting on the runway prior to kickoff. Other passengers said that on this route SGN-HAN-SGN delays are normal, while to/from the provinces the airline appear to be much more punctual. Service onboard is absolutely minimal. One small bottle of water handed out is not impressive while a lot of idle FA's have nothing to do. To the 2 hour flight Hanoi to Saigon a sandwich was added. Nothing can be purchased to add to food or drinks. Other flights on time, a bit dull, not much to report. If you provide a tea - or instant coffee sachet to the FAs they will prepare it for you and thus give you a hot paper mug of coffee/tea for free.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Van Hiep Hoang    (Vietnam)

VN610, BKK-HAN with A321, window seat 26A. Everything worked as expected. The flight was on time both for departure and landing. Check-in, security, boarding as well as disembarkation and baggage retrieval worked without a hitch. On-board service was competent and caring. No complaints at all, for Economy Class you can't do much better than that. The stewardesses were not very helpful unless you asked them to help. Service was normal with no extra smiles. There was no inflight entertainment.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Mihika    (USA)

Despite having 6 seats booked in business class including a black card holder (and two 80 year olds, I might add) our 5.30pm flight was cancelled and we were moved to a 10.30pm one without so much as an email, text or phone call. The VN airlines representative was most unaccommodating and the service was absolutely unacceptable. After numerous phone calls we were able to arrange 6 economy class seats on a 7.45pm flight: with just a 30 usd refund per ticket. Essentially we were made to pay excess baggage for our business class baggage allowance following this downgrade. As frequent flyers we of course anticipate that many delays are unavoidable, however it is entirely unacceptable to not inform passengers as soon as a delay is announced, especially if it is 5 hours late!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Venning Andrew    (Australia)

Very similar review to a recent Australian traveller. Flew MEL-LGW via SGN. A330 on first leg to Ho Chi Minh City. Had breakfast in the Qantas business lounge in Melbourne prior to departure. That was nothing to write home about but better, much better than waiting in the terminal. Boarded and departed on time. Aircraft was clean and comfortable. Hostesses were smiley, polite and attentive. Lunch was served soon after takeoff and was enjoyable. Wines/spirits were topped up regularly. Arrived on time at Ho Chi Minh City for an eight hour layover (too long). Because we were travelling in business, we were met at the transfer desk, had a one day visa organised and were then taken on a tour of the city in a nice car (air-conditioned thankfully as it was so humid there). What an eye- opener that that journey was! There are 10,000,000 scooters in Ho Chi Minh City and we saw most of them on that 10 km journey. It was organised chaos. We enjoyed a free dinner in the Catina Hotel which was very nice and we were then taken on a walking tour to see the highlights of the city. We were then put in a car and returned to the airport where we were met by the same tour company representative who had our visa papers stamped (unbelievable bureaucracy in Vietnam) and we spent a couple of hours in Vietnam Airlines lounge. We were not hungry but enjoyed the whisky and soft drinks. The flight to London Gatwick left SGN a half hour late due to the late arrival of the incoming flight. This flight was on an older Boeing 777. We were dog-tired by then and fell asleep very soon after takeoff. We were served an adequate breakfast an hour or so before landing at Gatwick. The IFE doesn't work so they hand out Ipads but we slept. The seats were comfortable with plenty of legroom. Summary: At over half the price of the likes of Singapore, Qantas, Emirates, etc., Vietnam Airlines represents very good value. My only negative is that the connections at SGN were too long despite being given the free city tour, hotel meal, a sleep in a hotel room on the return journey, etc. Would go with them every time at the price I paid.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by D Baker    (UK)

Excellent experience and am very happy to recommend. Flew round trip from Gatwick to HCMC, and also took an internal flight during travels using this airline. Very smooth flight, tasty food, latest films. Slept 8 hours + both ways. Staff friendly. Really good value for money.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Jesse Oey    (Australia)

VN630, CGK-SGN, 22 December 2014. Flight was almost full and departed CGK on time. No welcome drinks were offered, only packaged wet towels. No individual IFE screens. The plane (A321) offered generous seat pitch, and my seat was comfortable albeit understandably worn out. Lunch was served immediately after take-off. FAs were generally friendly but it seemed their English capability was quite limited. The highlight of the flight had to be the fragrant and delicious Vietnamese coffee that was served on-board! Overall I had a pleasant experience with VN.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Craig Dickson    (Australia)

Business Class - Vietnam Airlines - Melbourne to HCM. Business Priority Check In, Immigration Express Pass, Access to Qantas Business Lounge via Voucher, Priority Boarding, Seating approx. 60% capacity in business with seating to the same standard as any other carrier - lie flat bed, universal power points, USB point, IFE with a decent selection. Food and drinks service was excellent. If you want additional drinks or snacks after the main service all you have to do is press the call bell. Throughout the radio channels they remind you to do this. Business Class - Lounge Access - HCM. Lounge is easy to find and very welcoming. Its usually very quiet. Reasonable range of hot and cold snacks, a make your own noodle bar and a few local food options. Toilets but no shower facilities. Most seats are big and comfy with their own power sockets and good selection of books and magazines. Lighting is a little harsh at night. Great selection of spirits and wines. Flights are announced and screens are available to check times. A quiet corner also has a massage chair for use. Its a decent lounge but after a two or three hours you will be over it. Business Class - Vietnam Airlines - HCM to London Gatwick (via Germany). These planes are older and a lot more worn out. Don't expect the same standard as the Australia flights. The seats recline well and they are very comfy but there is no power on this plane, no usb sockets, the IFE is unusable so they give you an iPad instead. No privacy screens. Food and drink service is excellent and staff were extremely accommodating when asked for additional wine, spirits or snacks. On a couple of occasions I asked for a snack and wine and I was given a sample platter and even had my wine topped up without prompt. The stop over in Germany is seamless and pretty quick. I flew back to Melbourne from Paris via HCM. In Paris its a very confusing process to check in. This has nothing to do with Vietnam, its just the way the airport is designed. Boarding was good with easy priority for business customers. Plane was again about half full. Transit Tour in HCM. Vietnam Airlines ran a special promo for long stop overs where I was met at HCM transit zone by my tour guide. They sort out your visa and escort you through the whole process. Overall, Vietnam Airlines do not do themselves any favours - their website is dull and does not go to much lengths to show off the good service they provide in reality. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the whole process was, and how good business class is in Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by John Frewen-Lord    (UK)

Flew Hong Kong-Hanoi end of November. Aircraft a very well turned out A321. Seats comfortable enough. My colleague wanted an aisle seat with extra legroom (due to a leg injury), so we sat in a two seat exit row at the back, which gave me a window seat - with no window! Flight attendants very smart in their traditional costumes, and were attentive throughout the two hour flight. Food Vietnamese, and gave me a taste of the delights to come in Vietnamese food. I watched only the moving map display on the seat back IFE, so cannot comment on the programming. All told, a very acceptable flight.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by D Wright    (USA)

Flew from Shanghai to HCMC. I had never flown Vietnamese Airlines before but was pleasantly surprised. The inside of the cabin was amazingly clean and the seats were very comfortable. The service was excellent as well. The food was good but not great. Where the flight was lacking is in the entertainment area. You only had the option of watching what was showing on the overhead screen. That didn't matter to me though since I bring my own entertainment on my tablet.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Alberto Lugo Vina    (Vietnam)

VN231 outbound and VN272 return. Vietnam is perhaps one of the most enchanting countries in Asia I have yet to experience, yet Vietnam Airlines leaves very little to be desired - and it has everything to do with the small details, from all areas ranging from their print media / safety on board video to the ever so important quality of customer service. Service in the airport and during the flight - lack of willingness to help, perceived as aggressive - not customer oriented or empathetic to the needs of the customer. Food quality - Average/Normal in quality and variety. Not necessarily a critical element at this stage as there are other more significant issues at hand. Communications/Language - Poor. For an international airline, this is perhaps one of the poorest airlines I have experienced in terms of listening and communicating English to international guests.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Moen Jon    (Australia)

Very pleasantly surprised. Flew REP-HAN/HAN-DAD. Planes (all A321) are modern and fresh. The FAs are welcoming and despite the language barrier (expected) communications are clear and polite. Although no IFE, the short trips are passed easily. The seats are the old style of Business Class. A little hard however plenty of room. The service on board is exemplary. The inflight meals have been tasty and fresh (mix Western and Vietnamese) and they are old school in actually wanting to pour more wine (decent French wines). On 2 flights they even did the old school trick of holding economy in place until Business class had collected their overhead luggage and walked from the plane. All in all above expectations.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by D Lee    (Singapore)

Singapore-Hanoi-Singapore in late November. Completed on-line check-in and only had to drop off luggage at Changi Airport T3 (which was handled very efficiently). Boarding was organised and flight departed Singapore on time. There is minimal inflight entertainment on the A321s that operate on this route - there are audio channels you can tune in to as well as some short TV programmes on Vietnam, but there are also newspapers on offer when you board. Cabin service on the Singapore-Hanoi flight was good, crew did their job efficiently and one steward even happily refilled our water bottles at our request. The two meal choices were good and drink service was conducted twice during the flight. Seat pitch was good at 32 inches and very comfortable. Flight arrived in Hanoi on time and bags were on the belt 20-25 minutes after disembarkation. For the return to Singapore, check-in in the morning was a bit chaotic with hundreds of passengers queuing - you can avoid this situation if you do web check-in. Boarding was orderly and the flight departed on time. The lunch was better on the return leg and the cabin crew were friendlier this time round. Once again this was an A321 so no PTVs and only audio channels were available. Arrival into Singapore was on-time and bags were on the belt in under 20 minutes. Price is very good and service was also above my expectations - I look forward to flying them again soon.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by L Copsey    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to Saigon on 1 November 2014 lunchtime flight, many seats could not be put upright as they were old and not maintained, the plane was far too hot and the entertainment system broken. Food was fine on way out although the choice of drinks was poor. Lights were turned out after the first meal even though it was early afternoon. We had no offer of further drinks and we had to go and collect any water we required. Staff were rude and pushed past people shoving them without saying anything. On the way back from Hanoi on 21 November 00.10 to Gatwick, the seats were the same, two toilets were out of order when we got on, the food was not very good at all and we were only offered one drink and some water until breakfast on a 13 hour flight. Choice of drinks poor and they were all from plastic bottles. The staff on this plane were much nicer but I had to ask for the toilets to be replenished with towels as they were not checking these on a regular basis which was critical when the flight had less toilets. I was on a package tour so did not choose this airline and I consider these are the worse long haul flights I have taken. However the flight from Siem Reap to Luang Prabang and the flight back to Hanoi were good, small planes with only 68 passengers.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Carole Robinson    (UK)

Gatwick to Saigon return. Entertainment consoles not working. Food ran out and pot noodles unacceptable alternative. Staff didn't speak English very well. Several internal flights which were good and staff spoke English very well. Long haul to be avoided but internal flights recommended.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

Domestic Hanoi-Dalat-Hanoi, 22-25 November 14. Good hardware (all flights Airbus 321), lounges well equipped with soft drinks and beers. Other alcoholic drinks available but completely substandard. Food mediocre, but options prevailed. Check in smooth, efficient, and call buttons on board answered within 4-8 seconds. Food onboard unbearable, forget these ugly Western cold snacks. No hot dishes and no options but one useless plate of white bread sandwich which has no market neither within nor outside Vietnam - a scandal for the country. Staff alert, polite, limited English. IFE working, but no handset speakers given. Only one terrible US entertainment movie shown. Priority embarking and disembarking - a lot of courtesy from FAs but all in all very conservative, quiet experience.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by R Stack    (UK)

LGW to HCMC - Sydney and return. Good flights on all routes pleasant staff at all times. Food was good and overall a good experience good value for money and will use again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by James Ross    (Australia)

Flight was Sydney to Ho Chi Minh - Qantas flight on Vietnam Airlines. It was a normal economy flight, comfortable enough. Watched a movie, and there was a reasonable selection. It didn't provide the entertainment range of other airlines, but it was enough for me. As a Qantas gold FF I had priority luggage, but my bags were last off. Did a domestic flight for one hour, and it was also good. Doing the red eye flying home, so going business class. Price is quite good, so it will be interesting to see how comfortable the seats are.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by B Akpabio    (UK)

Flew London to Hanoi and Saigon to London both in business. As a counter to some of the negative reviews, both flights were excellent. Sure the cabin felt a bit tired and there was no lie flat bed but food and drink were good and plentiful and service both ways, particularly the return, was incredibly attentive. The entertainment was limited. Outbound we were offered iPads which were far superior to the armrest screens on the return. Nice touches included dedicated business class buses to and from the aircraft. All in all I had an excellent experience. If you go expecting something comparable to one of the five star airlines you may be disappointed but it was good value and will happily travel with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Joseph C Durbin    (UK)

We travelled Gatwick to Hanoi, Saigon to Gatwick, (with a few internal flights in between). The internal flights were short and were acceptable. The long haul flights both ways were terrible. The attendants were miserable, and did their job begrudgingly. The food was appalling - both Asian and European. We spent the whole flight hungry with only the offer of a pot noodle or a roll and butter, not substantial for a 12 hour flight. We would never use Vietnam Airlines or recommend them to anyone. We have travelled many airlines, including the low cost airlines, and have never experienced such a poor service.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

Saigon to Hue and Danang Saigon. Both legs on A321s and the interiors were lovely, shades of blue and green and the seating comfort was fine. On the first flight, early in the morning, they offered a cup of water to each passenger. On the return we each got a bottle of water. Pretty skimpy catering, especially for an early morning flight. Crews served water well and that was about it. Price competitive with LCCs and no extra charges. Both flights on time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Vivienne Nguyen    (Australia)

Flying to VN from MEL was fantastic. It was an 8 hour flight and I was able to sleep comfortably. The food was ok. The entertainment was fantastic although it would have been better if they have added more kids / family movies. The staff service was marvellous and the bathroom toilets were also clean and had no problems. Overall, fantastic flight, good entertainment and amazing comfort. I highly recommend Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by W James    (Australia)

We did a few flights both domestic and international. The domestic planes are more comfortable than the international! Business class on short trips (1hr) is nice but really not all that different. Save your money. As for international, I would not fly economy again, if at all. Definitely spend the extra $$ and be comfortable for an almost 9 hr flight (Melb - Saigon). We were flying on Qantas flights on a VA plane. The staff are surly, but it's no wonder. The planes are filthy and old, and there is no fresh air in the cabin. After 9 hours the cabin reeks and someone vomiting didn't help but no fresh air? First drinks are ok but then on the second round you get Pepsi, water or juice. Out of a big bottle. So hygiene? No amenity kits at all- not even an eye mask. Extremely poor food. Now I know why people fly the other airline. With 2 weeks between flights there was no difference in entertainment and choices are very limited.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by D Patrick    (Australia)

MEL-SGN-CDG and return. We decided to try Vietnam Airlines as they offered Australia to Europe flights at a significantly lower price to other airlines I've used in the past. We got what we paid for and nothing more. Note that Australia and Europe flights aren't timed to connect with each other which means a 16 hour layover in each direction. This worked out well as we were able to exit the airport stay at a nearby hotel and freshen up before the connecting flight while our bags remained in transit. The only problem with this is you need to purchase apply for a visa before leaving MEL which can up to 140 AUD on top of the fare. The MEL-SGN flights on the A330 were fine however the 777-200 on the SGN-CDG leg is looking very tired. The seat back IFE is limited and works in channels rather than on demand. Most of the cabin crew could not speak much English. The food out of MEL and CDG was okay but the food out of SGN was terrible. Would fly with Vietnam Airlines again once they begin 787 flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Ghemri Asia    (Cambodia)

Vietnam airline is one of the cheapest airlines to fly from Paris to Cambodia but the quality is bad. We did an upgrade to premium economy with my kid. The lights and TV entertainment worked the first hour and then it was dark until the end. The staff couldn't do anything as the flight was full. There was no space in the lounge area to benefit from any light. So 10 hours flight with no light to read a book or TV of any kind is a bit much for an adult let alone with the kid. I felt a bit ripped off and I am crossing my fingers really hard for my flight back to Paris in December where I will surely stick to the economy class. The service is basic as is the food.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by J Griffiths    (UK)

Very impressed with level of service, Hong Kong to Hanoi, Food excellent esp seafood, staff friendly and professional. Flight on time out and return. Very good ticket price.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Y Lin    (Taiwan)

Flew from Paris to Taipei via SGN. The flight was late leaving CDG without explanation and passengers were still boarding when the scheduled departure time came and went. The flight was an hour and half late getting to SGN and there were several passengers at risk of missing their connecting flight. While the plane was still taxiing on the runway, the flight attendants took passengers with urgent connections up to the front for quicker disembarkation but without announcing to the rest of the passengers. Most other passengers began to get up and grab their bags, and took the flight attendants over 5 minutes to start telling everyone to remain seated.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 October 2014 by Janet Barker    (UK)

There was no entertainment on the way out on 3rd Oct, 10.10am flight Gatwick and on my return on the 17th, 10.15pm from Saigon - still no entertainment and I was not the only one where the screens did not work. Please service your equipment over 10 hours with no music or films can be very boring.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by R Coleman    (Australia)

SYD-SGN-CDG and LGW-SGN-SYD. Legs to/from Sydney A330. SGN-Europe on 777-200. All flights landed on time. I found the seats comfortable and was able to sleep on most legs. Food was plentiful although not 5-star. Crew attentive. As previously mentioned, lounge at SGN very basic. On the return leg, the day stay in the Ho Chi Minh hotel is a big bonus. The only real negative which must be addressed by the airline is the very old business class seating on the 777. On my flight from LGW/FRA, 3 seats did not recline, and as the cabin was full, resulted in three (understandably) very disgruntled passengers. It is simply not good enough to pay the large business class premium for a broken seat for 12 hours (and not fair on the crew either, who bore the brunt of it).

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 October 2014 by Paul Paterson    (Australia)

I found the poor reviews on business class flights quite unfounded. We travelled from Sydney to London and found the trip excellent value for money. The service and food was excellent. The seats on the second leg were older style and not the shell style on the first leg but were still comfortable. The seats do not recline to 180 but are close enough that it doesn't matter. I could still sleep on my side and that is key for me. The lounge used in Sydney is Qantas and is great, the lounge in Ho Chi Min is average. Compared to other business class seats and lounges yes, Vietnam is behind the others, however for the price you should compare to premium economy as that is the price you pay. In which case this airline is way ahead for me for value for money.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by John Sims    (UK)

Kuala Lumpur to Ho Chi Minh, onward to Nha Trang, 20th February. After flying constantly with this airline around South Asia, their flight timings changed. Ground staff and flight staff give the poorest service of any airline. Safety briefing often stops and is not continued. The airline lounges are of poor quality, are dirty, and staff are unhelpful. Try and find a better airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

HUI-HAN on 18/9/2014. Flight (Airbus 321) on time. Lounge access in Hue smooth. Check-In only allowed 2 hours before departure, at times very annoying. Lounge very conservative and food uninteresting. 2 beers, no wines, only soft drinks, coffee, tea, milk, etc. On board the product is very correct, stable, but boring and colour-less. Food has not been changed in more than 5 years – only a useless Western snack but nicely decorated and served on china with steel tools. Soft drinks and two beers available. Staff alert. Newspaper given. Seats are spacious, comfortable, and real business class seats in 2x2 configuration as compared to 3x3 in economy.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Chris Peterson    (UK)

We fly to Saigon twice a year on average for family visits. Things are a lot better with the direct flights from Gatwick. Things are a bit hit and miss - some crews are really good, others can be like prison wardens. This crew was good, and the drinks and food kept coming. Seats in economy in the Boeing 777s are starting to show their age, and the inflight entertainment jammed which meant 12 hours of Emma Thompson and Tom Hanks in the film about Disney being shown three times back to back, with it proving impossible to switch the seatback screen off. It was on time. On these flights what you don't need is a crew that serves dinner at top speed, misses pre dinner drinks then vanishes to the crew rest area for10 hours, which is what happened on the return flight. Best thing is to book the upgrade option to Premium Economy through OptionTown.com. we did that in the past and it's brilliant. Unfortunately we were too late this time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Lawson Frederick    (Australia)

I travelled from Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh city and connected with the flight to Gatwick. The cost on this airline was several hundred less than others and I boarded in Melbourne as I could not get the same deal in Adelaide where I live. I have been on several carriers and Vietnam Airlines did a splendid job on the both flights. My only concern was the clarity of the announcements on board and the same at Ho Chi Minh airport. I would travel with them again without hesitation - don't take any notice of negative reviews. I had doubts before leaving Australia but was pleasantly surprised.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Marcus Brunner    (Singapore)

SIN-LGW via SGN. I booked my trip back to UK on Vietnam Airlines because it was around 250GBP cheaper than any other airline, expect Jet Airways, which had poor layover times. Overall the experience on Vietnam Airlines is average, not poor nor great. A lot of people on here have given awful reviews of the airline and some of it is valid. The aircraft are unclean, the inflight entertainment is poor and dated, the seat is rock solid, however this is in context when comparing to 5&4 star airlines which command much higher prices. Given the fact that I was saving 250GBP (30%) I was more than happy to except a slightly lower quality service. Personally rated the food actually above that of a recent Emirates long haul flight I took. The flights were on time and the crew acted in a safe and polite manner. I would recommend this airline if its prices are greater than 20% below others for long haul, if they are the same its clear that a more mainstream 4-5 star airline would be the better choice.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by McElroy Lawrence    (USA)

Always a pleasant experience on Vietnam Airlines. My son and I have flown them from Bangkok to Hanoi and on to Hong Kong. Then from Vientiane to Phnom Penh and on to Ho Chi Minh City. Last year from HCMC to Nha Trang and return. Then this last July, from HCMC to Da Nang return and on to Taipei. They even upgraded us on that one, for whatever reason. All these flights were reasonably on time, courteous staff in flight and on the ground, no lost luggage and very clean. Not only would I fly them again, I would give them a preference. It's easy to book on- line on their website with lots of pricing choices. One of our favorites.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 August 2014 by Edmunds Peter    (UK)

Return leg Hanoi to LGW, 1 Aug 14. Dreading this flight due to the seats on the outward flight, so I will deal with this first, what a difference this seat was 56A (VNA149) much better support and a foot rest, so the gamble is the plane you are flying on. IFE worked but dated and limited due to films on the outward leg (feedback from children). Crew were again very good and attentive and food (why do you get offered a meal at 2 am how about a snack and a decent breakfast) was good, although ran out of my choice but the alternative Viet breakfast was excellent. A passenger emergency was handled very well on the flight. All in all I feel for VN they have been let down hugely by the late delivery of the new Boeing 787 and we the customer have suffered. I will gladly look forward to flying them again and if all is well on a new plane with a service that I feel will be up with the likes of SAA and Emirates.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 August 2014 by Zirhon Nazir    (Indonesia)

SGN-DAD return, both legs with well maintained A321. Plane has good legroom but monitors only for safety video after that disappear. For over one hour domestic flight it's still bearable. Only one bottle of mineral water provided, I thought I would have received snack refreshment as this is full service carrier and flight is over 1 hour. VN needs to work it out to achieve 4 star level and catch up with its ASEAN peers.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 August 2014 by R Davoren    (Australia)

Gatwick to HCM. The seats were old and most of the individual lights were missing as was ours. My seat's footrest would not raise fully, my wife's would not fully retract so sleep was not a serious option. The entertainment system did not work so we were given ipads. The earphones were not compatible with these so the sound was inaudible. The Business class toilets did not work from the outset so these had been barred from use. My overhead reading light and the hostess call button, part of the entertainment system controls, did not work as the cord was fractured. Obtaining the hostess was only by walking into the cabin between business and economy. So for 12 hours: No sleep, no video with sound, no light for reading and no hostess to assist me attending the economy toilet during a period of severe turbulence. Oh, and water regularly dripped from the ceiling. The staff were grumpy and never got one food order right. We chose Business Class because we felt that our age we needed some comfort. Big mistake.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by J Bayona    (UK)

We travelled from London Gatwick to Ho Chi Minh and find that our apprehensions, after reading some negative reviews, were groundless. We were in economy but the food and beverages kept flowing through the night. The crews may not be eloquent in English but the service can be compared to that of Singapore and Emirates Airlines! They were able to keep our two boys entertained, helping them to behave, and were very helpful with the bassinet. Looking forward to another great time on our way back to London on August 1!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 July 2014 by L McEvoy    (Ireland)

Had read these reviews beforehand and was incredibly worried about taking a 12 hour journey with this airline, but as all multi stop options took 30 hours plus we decided to bite the bullet. Completely exceeded expectations, really attentive crew, meals were wonderful, free instant noodles and sandwiches were a nice amenity, toilets were fine, planes were fairly modern and entertainment kept us thoroughly entertained. It's obviously not Emirates, but I don't know what a lot of the reviewers on this we're expecting. If you have a bit of a delicate derrière, I would advise bringing a cushion (I was fine on the way there but after a few days of long bus journeys the way back was a bit of a long sit).

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Peter Edmunds    (UK)

LGW to SGN, VN50 16/7 flight an hour late leaving due to a security alert, looking at what happened on the same routing the next day fine by me. Back to the flight, IFE worked at every other seat apart from mine unbelievable, they tried to fix it without any luck, so back to tablet I had with me. Meals were all fine, hot and all the selections were available, inflight snacks nice treats, soft drinks were offered several times and drinks where available throughout. Apart from the worst seat in flying history, 13 hours in the next best thing to a park bench is beyond a joke after ramming pillows and blankets at the back of the seat so as to be close to the overhead locker I really say no more, I am not looking forward to the return leg. I would like to think this is work in progress and the only reason I couldn't recommend the airline is the cost to health services round the world who will have to pick the bill for damaged backs.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Graham Tilston    (UK)

I flew to Gatwick from Ho Chi Minh City, the flight took 13 hours. The whole flight was a nightmare due to a 3 year old child screaming blue murder for the whole of the flight. The stewards and stewardess and parents made no real attempt to deal with problem to the discomfort of everybody in that particular section of the aircraft. Why is it not possible for passengers to seek compensation from the airlines for having to endure a nightmare experience similar to the one I endured along with my fellow passengers?

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Rob Robertson    (Australia)

Flew MED to SGN and return in Business Class. Staff, Service, Food and Flight were excellent. We have flown Singapore, Malaysian and Thai Business class prior to this and the whole experience with Vietnam Airlines was up there with them. We will definitely travel Vietnam Business Class again. Highly Recommended.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  4 July 2014 by Carmen Lopez    (Australia)

On our way back from our tour through Vietnam, on flight VN773, we experienced lots of problems. The entertainment system was not working, they changed our seats and when we asked for coffee we were told there were none. Very poor salty breakfast without coffee or tea. Toilet floor full of water and no toilet paper.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 June 2014 by Gerald Perera    (Hong Kong)

Flew from HKIA to Hanoi to Paris and back again. The HK to Vietnam routes were decent with newer planes and ample leg room, service was also great. On the way to Paris however the planes were older with less leg space and hard as rock seats. To make it worse cabin temperature was increased, I have never been warm on a plane before and it made for an uncomfortable 13 hours. Service wasn't the best either, there weren't enough menus for everyone. Food was alright. Inflight entertainment system was something to be desired, bring movies or books. Basically you get what you pay for, a bargain. Will probably fly them again for shorter routes but will stay away from the longer hauls.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by M Hay    (Australia)

SGN-SYD. This flight was part of an itinerary from Paris to Sydney. Vietnam Airlines offers a free transit program to eligible ticket holders (you need to book it 72 hours beforehand) - which we used and strongly recommend - we had a 14 hour transit between flights - we were met when we got off the plane and our visas were arranged, we were then taken to an inner city hotel and had lunch and dinner and a tour of the city and then we were taken back to airport. It was a very pleasant way to spend the day and a nice break between the flights - also there was no extra money to pay and it took care of the hassle of organising a Vietnam visa. The A330-200 flight was half an hour late (all the flights I have taken out of SGN have been late) and was about 40% full in business class, which was just as well because we had problems with three seats - entertainment not working, necessitating multiple seat changes. Food was acceptable (not as good as the SYD-SGN leg), but the champagne was nice, no refills were ever offered, but the friendly staff responded quickly to the call button. The seat doesn't go completely horizontal, but is pretty comfortable and sleep was possible. Entertainment options were pretty much limited to a reasonable selection of movies and not much else. No priority card given for customs/security at Sydney airport. Overall the flight went quickly and I was comfortable enough. I will fly Vietnam airlines again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by R Vogt    (Germany)

NRT to SGN on A330-200. I had a very enjoyable flight from Tokyo to Ho Chi Minh City. The crew were very friendly and helpful. When using the call button one of the crew members came in just a few seconds. The Japanese Meal was delicious and more than enough. The IFE on the A330 is some ways better than the IFE on the B777 of VNA, but also with a small selection - but for the 6-hours-flight it was ok. The seats are comfortable enough for this 6-hour flight during the day (for a night flight it may be not so comfortable though the seats are not lie flat).

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by Derek Minett    (Australia)

Flew from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang last week, never have I seen such disorganization at the airport. Flight was delayed no less than 3 times and we lost a day of our holiday sitting at the airport. Scores of their flights had gate changes and totally no communication with passengers waiting. Very disappointed with service on the flight. Will never fly with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2014 by D Keenan-Bokr    (Germany)

Flew Business Class FRA-BKK via HCMC. B777 (FRA-SGN) and A321 (SGN-BKK) Positive points, flights were all on time, crew friendly and welcoming, toilets were kept clean. Transfer Counter at SGN very efficient. Negative points for bland tasteless food lacking completely in presentation along with tiny wine glasses. The fantastic cuisine that Vietnam is famous for did not reflect in the catering. The entertainment system wasn't worth watching. Poor selection of films. The seats are not lie flat but I was aware of that beforehand. Did manage to get some rest even though it wasn't the most comfortable of seats. The aircraft interior looks shoddy and needs refurbishing. VN has the potential to become a better airline but they appear to be cutting costs in all the wrong areas. They totally lack the finesse that their competitors in the rest of S.E. Asia offer.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by M Hay    (France)

SGN-CDG, B777-200. Efficient transfer desk at HCMC, but very basic lounge with no shower. Disappointed on boarding to see it was a very old plane with recliner seating in 2-3-2 configuration. Flight 80% full. Food very tasty - supper and breakfast served all choices available in spite of being at the back of the cabin. Although disappointed by recliners managed to get about 9 hours sleep (was very tired) - the seats are not flat, but they are well padded and quite wide. No drink refills offered, but call button answered promptly and requests taken care of. The plane was extremely hot for the first 6 hours of the flight. Very limited collection of new release movies and nothing else on entertainment system.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 May 2014 by M Hay    (France)

SYD-SGN, A330. Efficient and friendly check-in at Sydney airport. Qantas lounge a nice place to have breakfast and a drink prior to boarding. Cabin 50% full. Seat is 160 degree pitch capsule and quite comfortable. Food was genuinely tasty and 2 meals served on an eight hour flight. Drinks were offered - nice champagne, but glass never refilled without using call button to request. Attendants rarely seen out of meal service times, but responded quickly to call button and immediately carried out all requests. In flight entertainment included about 10 new release movies and very little else - don't count on being entertained by this for the whole flight. A note - if you have an extended stop over (and wish to exit the airport) or are transferring to a domestic flight (including Saigon to Hanoi for an international connection) you will need to arrange a visa beforehand, there are no visas on arrival and Saigon airport offers little in the way of distractions. Overall this was a pleasant flight and represented very good value for money.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 May 2014 by Irvine Stephen    (New Zealand)

Myself and my family flew Vietnam airlines twice in April 2014, first leg from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City and return about a week later. The flight from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City was fine. Nice staff at check in, on time and ok meal, what you would expect from a 1.5 hr flight. However I can not say the same thing about the return leg. It started at check-in, flew an early morning flight around 7am, first thing that surprised me was the disorganisation at the check in area! There were 2 Vietnam airlines flights checking in and they had no lines to tell you where to stand for what flight. We lined up and waited, after a 20 min wait we finally got to the front of the counter and the next minute it was closed. No word from the check in staff, the check in woman just got up and walked away. The rest of the flight went on time and arrived safely in Singapore. I think the biggest thing from this is that Vietnam airlines really need to take a look at their airport customer services in Ho Chi Minh City and if you are going to have staff working at an international airport then a stranded level of English should be the required.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Joy Dickinson    (Australia)

On our trip from Melbourne to HMC we were highly impressed with the service and the food, etc. Within Vietnam we were very happy with our flights and service. On our return flight from HMC to Australia the service was ok but the food was awful.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 May 2014 by A Nevriana    (Indonesia)

I took 2 VN flights (BKK-HAN and HAN-SGN) during the past few days. Flight to HAN: We experienced lots of turbulence during the flight, yet the pilot managed to land the plane smoothly. Flight to SGN: it was quite spacious for a domestic flight, yet the cabin crew should be more assertive in reprimanding the passengers who didn't obey the flight safety instructions. The in-flight entertainment didn't work, but the magazine provided was quite entertaining. Should provide wider selection of in-flight meals.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 April 2014 by D Ralph    (UK)

DAD-HAN-LGW-SGN-DAD: for once, the flights were on schedule, which is an unusual circumstance for VN. The flights and service were reasonable although the B777 is showing distinct signs of age. The worst aspect of the trip was the awful Bus Class lounge at SGN and the appalling scrum for immigration at HAN. The food on the return trip from LGW was considerably better than for the HAN/LGW sector and they know how to run a Bus Class lounge at LGW, maybe VN should send their staff there for training. I chose VN for the sake of convenience but I will certainly look at other options next time. I should add that I would not like to have travelled in the Economy section. The seats looked cramped and I overheard some uncomplimentary remarks while waiting at SGN immigration.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2014 by D Lewis    (Hong Kong)

Flew recently between Hanoi - Siem Reap - Hong Kong. Perfectly adequate with newish Airbus A321 aircraft, decent legroom and good punctuality. Short trips so no entertainment etc. A snack was served which was basically a sandwich and a dessert; not great. Not much was expected. The cabin crew were fine although a little passive when fellow passengers were clearly ignoring instructions during take-off and landing. My main issue (which would lead me to recommend only with caution) is the number of times our flight times and numbers were changed. We did receive one notification of a schedule change but the flights we actually ended up on did not match the info. provided. Other passengers reported the same issue. Basically, don't make onward/connecting plans which rely on accurate timings and flight numbers.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 April 2014 by O Alex    (Netherlands)

I've flown many times domestic with VN and two intercontinental legs. For domestic flights VN is a fairly good option. Interiors look a bit worn and seats are not too comfy but for the 1-2 hr flights it is ok. Another story for the inter continental legs. I've flown in their 777. I can't judge about the technical state of the planes but if their maintenance is done like the cleaning it won't be good at all! The planes are dirty and IFE outdated (personal screens but no AVOD). Little legroom due to huge IFE boxes under most seats and safety checks prior to take off and landing are very poor. The food isn't the best I have had onboard airplanes. If I can avoid this airline in future I will!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by H Brunt    (UK)

Sunday 20 April 2014, flight VN017, Hanoi to Paris. The main areas where improvement is needed are: (1) cleanliness of toilets (very poor) and ensuring that basic hygiene is maintained, such as by providing soap for handwashing, (2) seat comfort - there is very little leg room for a 6 ft tall person and a media/entertainment box is installed under every seat, cutting the space for feet in half, and (3) food quality, which was poor, my hot meals were served almost cold, and the replacement that I asked for was barely lukewarm. Incidentally, I had the same problem of finding no soap in the toilet and generally filthy toilets on a flight to Australia in 2002 and nothing really seems to have changed in 12 years. Staff didn't seem to care.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Gloria Sheppard    (UK)

LGW to Hanoi on flight VN54, departed 4th April. Returned Saigon to LGW on flight VN51, departed 19th April. Awful airline which I booked despite the very mediocre reviews because of the direct flights from Gatwick. On our outward journey - on a fully laden plane - there ended up with one working WC apparently a "waste management problem". Booked Deluxe Economy - wish hadn't bothered - very little difference, food (awful) same as economy. Staff on the outbound flight were extremely grumpy and didn't smile. Inward much better. Don't do it, book with another airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

HUI-SGN. 17th April 2014 on an Airbus 321. Flight on time. New Business Class lounge at Phu Bai has a very disappointing, boring design, just a squared room and some industrial snacks plus some drinks. Only advantage is the view to the runway and a printer. The printer didn't work but the staff took the trouble to print out for me at VN counters downstairs. A funny, complete nuisance, is a compulsory bus drive from gate to aircraft, hardly 20 meters. This goes for arrival as well departure and creates a lot superfluous efforts, waiting, and hassle in an airport where it is rare to see more than one aircraft at a time. The flight was full but service was on par. Newspapers handed out. A cold meal and drinks were offered (inc. 2 kinds of beer). A ring on the bell was addressed within seconds. Service began instantly after seat belts could be loosened and went on until touchdown. For a flight of 70 minutes duration, the onboard service went on for 60 minutes, quite impressive and better than most other carriers. Full business class seats in 2x2 configuration (compared to 3x3 in economy class). Priority luggage a joke and arrived as the latest, but within 15 minutes, which is tolerable. Annoying checks of luggage tags when leaving the terminal. The product offers very good value for money as the additional cost of business class travel compared to an economy is very reasonable.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by Peta Norman    (UK)

VN51, Saigon to Gatwick, 12/04/2014. Old aircraft and very dirty inside - tray table ingrained with dirt, ceiling splashed with food, food splashed on side wall, floor dirty, seat pocket had debris inside, toilet not cleaned and sink area dirty. Safety video shown before everyone seated and very little safety checking done prior to take-off and landing. One 300ml bottle of water given out on a 13hr flight, small orange juice obtained from passing cabin crew but the tray wizzed down the aisle so fast we nearly missed it. It was very hot in the cabin throughout the journey. No bar service prior to supper. Food poor. Two internal flights with this airline were delayed for up to 4 hours.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Anders Pedersen    (Denmark)

SGN-HUI, March 2014. Airbus 320. The pleasure by travelling business compared to economy on domestic is worth the modest additional payment as it allows for very fast check in and fast track: it took me less than 5 minutes in the crowded SGN airport to inscribe luggage, check-in, be issued lounge access card, and pass the security fast lane. For economy typically 20-50 minute queue. The Lounge is darkish and has no shower nor champagne. Otherwise it is old, classic, and pleasant though resembles a relic from the eighties. The flight to HUI was delayed 2 hours due to a technical problems. The way VN handled this was very professional: I was informed by email on the delay 1 hour and 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure! VN pro-actively contacted me in the VN-business class lounge and informed me clearly. A staff member gave me two fair options: either accept the delay by VN or go with an earlier, competing, airline. I then decided to change to the competing airline, VietjetAir, to go on the initially scheduled time. I then accepted a downgrade as VietjetAir do not have business class. Further, I would have to leave transit to sort out refund by VN-Airlines and to purchase ticket and check-in with VietjetAir. I decided to take the trouble. There was quite some risk and hassle involved as I was due to pay a hefty prize for overweight and for last Minute purchase to VietjetAir who has no co-operation with VN: I had to leave transit, reclaim inscribed luggage, re-pack and reshuffle luggage as to comply with VietJetAir strict requirements. The ticket price was negotiated by my VN facilitator to become the same as for the stretch SGN-HUI as for VN airlines in business. I paid at VietjetAir counter and checked in. Later, I had to fill forms to reclaim at VN airlines what they owed me. I am all in all impressed it was doable. As for VN it only cost them my lounge access and the staff service. So, it turned up to be a win/win situation. The trip SGN to Hue went well and I was seated like a pave getting all six front row seats though further back the flight was packed. Luggage were out when entering the terminal. Two Minutes later I was on the city coach from Airport. On time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Peter Lewis    (UK)

Bargain of the century-we took Vietnam Airlines from Singapore to Hanoi, and have 2 internal flights with them before heading back to Singapore from HCMC. For the price you cannot complain at all-nice new and clean planes (A321), smart friendly staff, reasonable food and good choice of drinks. Compared to European airlines (I fly BA a lot shorthaul) there is no comparison-Vietnam win hands down. Business class fares so unbelievably reasonable to.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Stephen Upchurch    (Saudi Arabia)

Early February I booked two return flights for myself and my wife. Outward leg 13/4/14, Bangkok to Danang via HCMC, return 20/4/14 Danang to Bangkok via Hanoi. As of today 7/4/14, various sectors have been re-scheduled four times, the last change was a cancellation of the entire Danang to Bangkok flight. We were put on flights to Bangkok via HCMC but this would have meant a 7.5 hour layover in HCMC. Out of sheer frustration I cancelled all the flights and will go elsewhere. This would have been our first flight with VA, needless to say it will be the last, as VA could not give an adequate explanation for the changes.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by G Thomas    (Australia)

VN662 on 1 April from Singapore to Hanoi and VN661 from Hanoi to Singapore on 5 April travelling business class both ways. I have to say the staff were great on both legs, always checking and always present. The food was great and served quickly, along with refresher towels and plenty of water. The inflight entertainment was circa 1980 however the flight was so short it did not really matter. If there was a disappointment it was the seats. No sooner had we taken off and the person in from reclined their seat and I was flashed back to economy. The seat hit my legs and that was a real disappointment. Look at doing something about that and nobody will have anything to complain about.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  21 March 2014 by B McCanny    (UK)

Flew Deluxe economy Gatwick - Saigon then internally to Danang - Siem Reap - Hanoi and back to Gatwick. Pleasantly surprised having read the reviews as very content with the service glass of bubbly then good wines with ok meals. The entertainment is about the same standard as the older BA planes but best bring a tablet with you if you want more choices. Internal flights are on new A321 airbus, plenty of legroom (food not great). Overall for the price and convenience of flying direct to Vietnam would use again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by TK Hill    (Vietnam)

June 2013, SGN - HAN: Vietnam Airlines saved us from a near disaster. My wife left her Kindle in the seat back pocket, only to discover she'd done so in the taxi after leaving the airport. We were to fly to the U.S. two days later. A couple of strategic phone calls by our travel agent friend later, we returned to the airport, not hopeful at all. Despite 30 minutes to clean the aircraft for its return flight to SGN, the ground staff had found the reader and delivered it to lost and found. Nicely done!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by D Madden    (UK)

Flew internal flights in Vietnam: HCM - DaNang. Then DaNang - Hanoi and finally Hanoi - HCM. We paid for the empty seats and upgrade policies through Optiontown - best bargain ever! All flights on time, sensible check-in times at airports, not the hours waiting about you get in Europe. Cannot recommend highly enough, especially for the prices paid.