Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2012 by P Mistry    (UK)

London Gatwick - Bangkok via HCMC. Plane was Boeing 777. Smooth check-in in London. Our plane had a technical stopover in Paris for 2 hr to pick up more passengers and refuelling. Even with the technical stopover we still arrived 1hr early. Inflight food and drink service was very good. I pre-ordered Asian Vegetarian meal which arrived and was tasty. Seats are a bit hard but ok. Inflight entertainment ok but old and on loop. On arrival in HCMC airport we were guided by ground staff to international departures to catch our flight to Bangkok, Thailand. Luggage was transferred automatically. I would use this airline again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Daniel Winters-McAppion    (Australia)

SIN-HAN on A330. Older style but comfortable seats with good pitch. Food tasty, staff helpful. IFE disaster and no apologies for its absence. Seemed to be on older aircraft with tatty carpet and missing or broken panels. VN has a way to go to catch up with other Asian carriers but they have good prices.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2012 by R Mortara    (UK)

I took 2 domestic flights during May, both on A321s. Seats are comfortable, especially as I was able to secure a seat in the emergency exit row, so enjoyed a few inches extra leg room. Both aircraft's clean and well kept. Both flights were on time, which was good. However, you only get a bottle of water on these flights and the crew did the minimum. On both flights once they had handed out the drinks, the crews disappeared until just before landing. I also thought that their attention to ensuring passengers had seat belts on and had stopped using their electronic devices at the time requested was minimal. At least baggage claim at both destinations was prompt, but all in all I was not impressed and would avoid them if I went to Vietnam again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2012 by George Mladenov    (Australia)

Flew return Sydney-Hanoi via Saigon. Everything was on time and the luggage arrived. There was an army of staff waiting in Saigon to direct the Australians catching the connecting flight to Hanoi. They collected our luggage for us to transport it to the Domestic Terminal, and they drove us in a bus even though it was a short walk. I found all meals onboard delicious. The 9 hour flight went by extremely quickly because there were plenty of movie choices. My only disappointment was when I flew VN from Saigon-Bangkok last year they gave us bottles of water, for the Sydney flight they were filling up very small cups only.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 June 2012 by Edward Gaskin    (UK)

Gatwick-HCMC. Departure time brought forward 3 hours, what should have been a direct 12.5 hour flight was to become 16.5 hours. Despite checking in 3 hours before departure and being 2 of only 42 Gatwick boarding passengers were told that all seats were taken prior to our arrival and nothing offered with extra legroom. Asked why we were unable to book seats online, told system not available as yet - although it appears that those boarding at CDG some 5 hours later were able to. Unable to check-in luggage for internal connections at HCM. Service onboard miserable. Sent my prawns back as they were tepid and received tepid chicken instead. Sent it back. Aperitif arrived after dinner. Video system not working. Refused to eat yet again tepid breakfast and couldn't get off quick enough on final arrival at HCMC. The thought of another 16.5 hour journey is ruining my idea of a relaxed holiday.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 May 2012 by R Ahmad    (UK)

Gatwick to Hanoi and HCM to Gatwick. Also used for internal flights. Booked as direct flights to/from Vietnam, but were changed at last minute. We were required to stop and disembark at Frankfurt on way to Hanoi and on the return leg, we stopped at CDG for 1.5 hrs. Planes tired and inflight entertainment limited for a long haul flight. No vegetarian meals provided on internal flight - told that these should have been booked in advance, but were not made aware of this prior to flight. On return leg, requested aisle seat not provided and a baby basket was erected in front of our seats for another passenger without any prior warning or consultation and which trapped us into our seats. Staff could not have been more unhelpful in resolving. Generally found the staff (whether inflight or at check-in) unfriendly and not willing to listen or assist. Would not recommend for international flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2012 by A Lewis    (Australia)

Travelled to UK/Europe, with very few complaints. Very first flight delayed 5 hours, meaning we missed our connection in Ho Chi Minh, but that was because of a typhoon, and although it was a little chaotic when we arrived the airline put us up in a lovely hotel and paid all our meals until we left the following night. Yes the seating is a little cramped, the meals average, the entertainment system a bit hit and miss, but all flight staff seem friendly and helpful, and the price was great.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2012 by Gavin Slater    (UK)

BKK-SGN-BKK Business. This was a short flight but a reasonably pleasant one. Service was good form crew. On short flights hot meals were served with drinks and refills. There was no need for entertainment so did not pay attention. Planes were A321 - fairly new and clean. No problems on either flights. Lounge at Bangkok was Louis Tavern (a CIP lounge) and fairly basic and VN airlines (Skyteam) lounge at SGN which is bigger and better equipped. All in all good flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 May 2012 by N Tristram    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to HCM. The whole plane was very scruffy, the food and entertainment out was ok though only Asian breakfast available and the staff were on the whole pretty good, however on the flight home the entertainment system didn't work, the food was poor and if possible the plane was even scruffier than the one we flew out in. On the whole until the upgrade their fleet I would not fly with them again. Even if it means having a two stop flight it would still be more desirable than flying with VA.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2012 by Allan Fitz    (UK)

Flew Gatwick to Hanoi in Deluxe Economy. Possibly the worst quality aircraft I have ever been on. Tatty seats with the covering on the arms falling off, dirty and uncomfortable, no padding left in the seat cushion and for 11 hours it was uncomfortable. To create a deluxe economy class they have simply removed one row of seats from the economy cabin to give a greater seat pitch, no extra width or any other perks whatsoever. Flight attendants were okay, food average and inflight entertainment worked. Overall for the extra we paid not worth the money. I would rather fly via Bangkok on a quality premium economy than waste my money with VA again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 April 2012 by Farouk Mogheth    (Thailand)

Bangkok-Hanoi-Seoul-HCMC-Bangkok. Flights from and to Vietnam operated by A321. Check-in was fast, onboard was clean, new with generous leg room. Food was nice with one drink round. Staff were helpful, some robotic but not rude. Flight to Korea on a wide-body A330, new nice interiors, very comfortable seats and AVOD with a good selection of films. Same food as on short flight. Return flight however, was on B777 with old interior, very cramped, uncomfortable hard seat and leg room smaller than A320s - all head rests were not functional. Food was good and crew of a good standard. Overall the experience including transit was acceptable. All flights on time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2012 by K Smith    (Australia)

Domestic flights are great - I have flown them for the past 3 years usually doing at least 3-4 flights each year and both in Economy and Business Class - flights always on time and the staff were helpful and courteous.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2012 by B Sakhawoth    (Australia)

Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh. Flight took off late, by the time meals were served there were no options left, however, later they brought us a meal, not sure how and why that was not available earlier. Inflight entertainment was not working. Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong flight was ok. Return to Melbourne from Hong Kong via Ho Chi Minh, we were the third to check-in. When I asked if our seats were together we were just brushed away. We boarded, only to find out we had the very last seats facing the toilets. After take-off everyone's meals are served and we are the last once again. The senior flight attendant apologised and got us business class meals. Our final leg was Ho Chi Minh to Melbourne. Boarded to realise my husband and myself were separated for the trip. The young man sitting next to my husband offered to swap with me. We would rather pay the extra and travel another airline next time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by A Panguin    (Singapore)

Hanoi to Singapore. Departure delayed. Economy was full so some were upgraded to business. Food was passable, IFE consisted of documentaries. The only English language newspaper was Vietnam news. The seat had the old-fashion DC-out power socket but the steward said that there was no power at the seat. I had flown VN a few years ago and it was fine. I would say a notch down from SQ. This time, I would say it is several notches down.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by D Wilson    (UK)

Although checking in 3 hours before take-off, only the last row was available with an aisle seat. I eventually got a window seat. There was only a single choice for dinner - pork- by the time I was served. At breakfast the trolley passed by me, I had to ask if I would be getting breakfast. There was chewing gum residue on the video monitor next to me. The monitors are tiny and the foil had worn out on the "buttons" on mine. The pitch is very tight but the staff at least got passengers to put the seats upright during meals or eating would have been impossible. Very limited film selection was the same on flights in both directions.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2012 by P Stanley    (UK)

SGN-SIN. Aircraft not very clean and no attention paid to safety - people using mobiles whilst aircraft was moving, and bags stowed in front of seats. Unable to deplane at Singapore for 30 minutes. Return to SGN - aircraft parked remotely and passengers bussed to terminal, despite half the stands being empty. Not impressed.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2012 by Paul Whitehouse    (Australia)

Had 4 flights with my wife and 2 children - was only seated with my family on 1 flight! Staff appeared helpful, but could not re-arrange seats - 1 long flight was easily re-arranged when onboard. Entertainment was either not operating, or the sound was not audible. Last overnight flight back to Sydney from Saigon had a crying baby - staff were nowhere to be seen until the child stopped crying.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2012 by R Vogt    (Germany)

FRA-SGN and SGN-FRA on 777-200ER. On both flights the crew was very friendly and helpful. On flight back to FRA my meal choice for dinner was not available, the flight attendant apologised and promised to ask me for breakfast first. Entertainment system was ok and available in several languages. I was surprised how fast I was outside the airport after arriving in SGN. From the plane to the outside of the airport it takes less than 10 minutes.