Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 September 2013 by P Su    (USA)

The pros: plane took off and landed safely, seats were relatively spacious. My boyfriend and I traveled from Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc and back in the last week. You'd think there'd be minimum hassle on a 50 minute flight. Outbound, our flight attendants completely ignored a phone that was ringing, and people snapping pictures and listening to iPods during take off and landing. The flight back from Phu Quoc was even worse. One of the main points of interest is fish sauce made on the island. We bought two small bottles, hoping to send it in our luggage, and were told that was not possible. It's a Vietnam Airlines-specific regulation. A group of passengers were sitting stewing because they were also not informed they could not transport fish sauce. Our flight was delayed and an announcement repeatedly said to contact a representative with questions, but to do so I had to walk out of the gate and check back in again. Luckily, it was a small airport and was not too busy. Still, I will never fly Vietnam Airlines again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by Kelly Osborne    (Australia)

Just arrived home from my trip and am appalled at the lack of service I received after our flight from Gatwick to Hanoi was delayed over 24 hours on 21st Aug! Left in the Airport from 1.30pm until 10pm not knowing what was happening, and only updated every 2 hours. At 10.30, told that we were going to the Sofitel for the night and we should fly out at 11am the next day. Upon arriving the next morning we were told that the flight was delayed again and should leave at 1.30pm. During this whole ordeal we were only given two $7 meal vouchers! Once we boarded we were given a letter to explain the delay to our insurance companies but this letter only stated that we were delayed 23 hours! I finally got the chance to try and get some information when I was flying out of Hanoi to Melbourne and to see if I could get the time on my letter changed. I was waiting for over an hour at the help desk while they tried to find out what time we left as the records showed we left at 9am! Told there was nothing they could do. I can't complain about the price of the flights and the in flight meals. If you don't mind delays and are on a budget - go with Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 August 2013 by Heidi Zimmer    (Australia)

I have just returned from a trip to London, from Melbourne, via Hanoi. Vietnam Airlines provided the cheapest flight on this route. I understood that when booking a cheap flight that I would get what I paid for. Better than I thought, there were personal screens with a choice of about 2 dozen movies, and the food ranged from very good to ok (depending on leg). It was the little things which let it down, Hanoi-London my screen did not work, London- Hanoi my seat did not recline, Hanoi-Ho Chi Minh they had double booked my seat so I was moved to another seat. Was I unlucky? - maybe. The biggest issue, however, was the Vietnam Visa issue. My travel agent (and I) had not arranged a Vietnam Visa (as the Hanoi-HCM flight is a domestic flight and requires transfer to domestic terminal) so when I arrived at Tullamarine for the first leg of my flight I was asked to step to the side and made hurried and stressful arrangements for a last minute Visa pre-approval letter. The Vietnam Airlines customer service officer on hand was very helpful, but it would have been better if (i) the need for a Visa had been clearer at time of booking or (ii) there could be some arrangement meaning that Visa is not required for transit.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2013 by Sam Reynolds    (Canada)

TPE-SGN (Ho Chi Minh City). Economy class. Great experience. Friendly flight staff dressed smartly dressed in uniforms. Pleasant lunch, and they offered me an extra (free) beer. In flight entertainment isn't much, but who needs that when you have a good book or a tablet.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  27 August 2013 by D Robin    (Australia)

Just back from the UK, flew Sydney - Ho Chi Minh City - London and back the same way. SYD-HCMC flight was better than HCMC-LHR, plane was newer and more comfortable and in-flight entertainment was better. HCMC-LHR plane was older and due a refit/upgrade as in-flight entertainment was very limited for a 13 hour flight. Food was better than we imagined, offering a choice of western or Asian style and staff were very attentive and pleasant serving drinks frequently. Only thing that got our goat was the 8 hour layover on the way out and the 13 hour layover on the way back, although VA provided meal vouchers for the wait in the airport we felt somehow spoiled by Emirates who provided a hotel room in the same circumstance. You can leave the airport provided you get a letter from the Vietnamese consulate prior to arriving in the country, we were not aware of this. All in all for the price we paid ($1500) each Sydney-London return it was value for money and would use Vietnam Airlines again but would sort out a visa first. Give them a go if your on a budget or pay double and fly a brand airline, the choice is yours, I have been as honest as I can as I myself read these forums before travelling and was pleasantly surprised.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 August 2013 by B Gray    (Australia)

Just flew Hanoi - HCM - Sydney. Flight delayed out of Hanoi. Also delayed 40 mins or so coming out of HCM (for some reason that we were not told) - we sat on the tarmac getting hotter and hotter as the aircon wasn't working well. Very limited choice of inflight movies. I could not watch any because the sound wasn't working on my system and staff said there was nothing they could do. Plane was old and seats very close together and hard. Woman next to me was texting after takeoff and staff said nothing. Staff were pleasant and tried hard but couldn't really compensate for overall poor customer experience. Would suggest avoid this airline if you possibly can.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2013 by Ishamudin Musa    (Malaysia)

Flying SGN-KUL on 18 August with old parents. Manage to upgrade the business class via option town. Special meal requested during the booking and special meal was confirmed. I took my own initiative to double confirmed on the special meal. It printed clearly on the boarding pass. No special meal is served. The reason given from the Leading Steward "We do not received any information regarding your request".

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  13 August 2013 by Debra Cee    (Australia)

Flew from Melbourne - Ho Chi Minh - Paris. Great flight for the price, food was good, service was fine, staff don't smile much but overall we enjoyed our flight to Paris. Home from London flying Vietnam Airlines, stop over in Hanoi made it a long flight having to catch an internal flight to Ho Chi Minh, then onto Melbourne but the prices were excellent. Saved around $4000 by flying with them.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 August 2013 by B Redinger    (Australia)

Recently used VN for our domestic flights in Vietnam during our recent trip. Both flights departed and landed on time. Paid the extra for business for the extra luggage allowance you get. Seats were spacious and comfortable and a drink and snack was provided even though very short flights. Crew smiling and pleasant. Would highly recommend for domestic flights around Vietnam.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 July 2013 by G Scott    (UK)

Flown two long haul flights (Gatwick-HCMC-Gatwick), further three internal flights with them. Whereas the internal flights were fine (comfortable seats, ok food, quick check in, etc.), the long haul flights are another beast. The seats are hard, the armrests would not fold up, the leg rests dig into your legs when folded up, particularly the aisle seats have a metal box underneath them which further limits the leg space. The inflight entertainment either does not work or is very limited. The food is very bad. Online booking of seats is not possible, turning up 4 hours before departure is still not good enough to secure an emergency exit seat or similar. Would not recommend this airline for long haul flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 July 2013 by Julie Armstrong    (UK)

Just had 4 four flights with Vietnam Airlines (July 2013), 2 long haul, Gatwick to HCM and Hanoi to Gatwick and 2 internal. We managed to secure upgrades to Business Class (relatively easy and inexpensive) for the long haul flights. No complaints whatsoever, cabin was good, service was exceptional. food was great. When the flight crew were not in the cabin and I wanted something I just went and asked as on most long haul flights, irrelevant of cabin class, the crew are in the cabin for only a short time. The internal flights (not business class) once again were very good, staff pleasant and so on. I obviously have not experienced the basic long haul flight cabins and service but for what we had and the little amount we paid for the 15000 miles I traveled with them I am very pleased.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2013 by D Hynes    (Australia)

Flew to Paris. 2 days before the flight discovered we needed to purchase a landing VISA to transit through the country. When we checked in we were only given boarding passes for the first leg of the trip and told we would have to collect our bags once we had purchased our VISAs. First flight from Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City our head sets didn't work and flight attendants unhelpful. Request for vegetarian meals was not granted. Upon landing in Ho Chi Minh City we raced to the VISA counter. Once we got them we collected our bags and were given boarding passes for a domestic flight to Hanoi. Boarded, only to disembark due to a 'technical difficulty'. 20 mins later given new boarding passes and allowed to board the same aircraft. In Hanoi we made our flight to Paris with 15 mins to spare. Unfortunately the process had to be repeated coming home with additional cost for the paperwork needed for the VISA. After a 13 hour flight from Paris we had to collect our bags, clear customs and recheck in. Followed by an 8 hour wait in Hanoi's Domestic Terminal which is very small and lacking in facilities followed by another 2 hour flight to Ho Chi Minh and a further 3 hour wait before we boarded our plane to Melbourne. We would not recommend flying with this carrier. They weren't reliable, friendly or cost effective in any way.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 July 2013 by M Sinclaire    (UK)

7th July on VN144, returned on 23rd on VN942. I was very nervous to fly VA long haul after reading all the reviews online, therefore I was very pleasantly surprised on my outbound journey! Plane was clean, the stewardesses were friendly and polite, the food was amazing and the in flight entertainment worked! And to top it off, we got free meal coupons (breakfast and lunch) at the airport restaurant because we had a long wait. However, the return flight wasn't as pleasant as the plane seemed slightly smaller and the leg room was terrible. Still, considering I half of what I normally would, I couldn't complain. All in all, a good airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 July 2013 by N Cooper    (Australia)

Sydney - Ho Chi Minh - Frankfurt return. On the first flight from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh, the flight attendants huddled in the back while they sat and talked. I had a 7 hour layover on the way to Europe. On all flights, there were some good, some bad flight attendants. Also on all flights, the food was just ok. A Vietnamese friend of mine said I should bring some extra food of my own for this same reason. Check-in was a nightmare due to inability of people to queue up as well. The inflight entertainment didn't work on the first 12 hour flight back and it kept restarting on the second 10 hour flight. I had a 12 hour layover coming back which is beyond acceptable. I would never fly with Vietnam Airlines again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2013 by M Young    (Australia)

Don't fly Vietnam Airlines if you are anywhere near 6 ft tall. Our flight was called 20 minutes before due flight time, 75 minutes later no one had boarded, no announcements to explain, those keen to get on early were still in the queue. Flight was nearly full, but back row was free, I asked if I could take a seat, was told to get back to my seat. Staff treated passengers with barely disguised contempt. They offered chicken or beef options for the main course, and we were one of the first served. My wife and I asked for the beef, and were told there was only 1 left! Breakfast was completely inedible, I looked around the cabin, the food was virtually untouched. Overall, one of the worst flights in over 30 years of flying.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 June 2013 by Truong Ba Hao    (Vietnam)

SGN - SIN and return. Flight attendants friendly. Felt relaxed and comfortable. Clean cabin and clean toilet.