Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by R Krug    (Australia)

Flew from Melbourne to Siem Reap via Ho Chi Minh. The plane was modern and clean and the service in business class was excellent. The flight was on time. The flight from Ho Chi Minh to Siem Reap was operated by Cambodia Air and this plane was very old but was fine for a 45 minute flight. Both of my return flights were operated by Vietnam Airlines and the service was excellent. Only issue I had was that I was given an economy seat for the Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh flight when I had a ticket for business class. After querying this, I was given the correct seat. The food and service was excellent and I would happily fly with this airline again. Please take care to check if you need a visa for Vietnam. I was in transit however some people have noted that their ticket fails to mention an internal flight from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi (and then say to Paris). This happened to a friend of mine and resulted in her return visa being cancelled and she had to promptly organise a visa for her flight from Ho Chi Min to Hanoi. Best to check with the airline as some passengers have been caught out by this.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by T Teo    (Malaysia)

KUL-SGN-KUL on A321 economy class. First time on Vietnam Airlines and had a pleasant surprise. What I thought suppose to be decent 90 minutes flight turned out to be an eye opener. The service was outstanding and the food was good compared to other 5-star airlines that ply the same routes. The seat pitch is quite comfortable and the configuration of 160+ people made the cabin look spacious and un-crowded.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Paul Ripley    (UK)

We flew LDN to Hanoi, HCM to LDN. Upgraded using option town to Deluxe economy - definitely worth it - more leg room. Food was really good, option of western or Vietnamese. Plane was Boeing 777- very safe aircraft if not the most modern. Service was great by the staff, welcome towels, drinks brought round. If you wanted more food during the flight all you needed to do was go to the galley and get sandwiches, drinks etc. If you are used to flying Qatar Airlines then maybe its not the same service as you get there, but for the price and the fact you fly direct in a safe plane then I would definitely recommend Vietnam Airlines. Was on time both ways.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 November 2013 by Helen Krarup    (UK)

VN54 from Gatwick to Hanoi on 12/11/2013. The service was good, the staff helpful, drinks were brought round frequently during the night and the food was no worse than any other economy airline. The aircraft seemed quite old and the seats were not overly comfortable. Our travelling companions' entertainment screens did not work which was disappointing on a long flight.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2013 by Fredrik Haglund    (Sweden)

SGN-BKK with A321. On time, great food, nice staff, clean plane. Definitely a 4 star flight. Only minus that we were not given immigration form for Thailand on the plane.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 November 2013 by J Johnston    (UK)

We had 2 long haul flights from Gatwick to Hanoi and a return journey 16 days later, 13 Oct and 29th. On both journeys we found the staff more interested in holding conversations among themselves ignoring passengers and even shouting to each other. On both flights the toilets were dirty, no soap in the dispensers and filthy floors on long flights. Passengers should expect regular opportunities to have drinks water or juice, in particular on each flight we had to go to the galley to get drinks. The leg room was very small we had more room on most of the internal flights we took in Vietnam and Cambodia. We have travelled to a lot of countries and this is one of worst airlines we have used.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

HKG-SGN-HKG, Business - good flights, excellent food and service and a certain charm not normally experienced on many airlines. I enjoy the VN Airlines Lounge at Saigon but not the shared lounge at Hong Kong which reminded of a seedy bar. However, I do not wish to detract from the very pleasant on-time and professional experience I had on Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 October 2013 by L Anderson    (Australia)

In March this year we booked a flight from Melbourne to Ho Chi Min City then on to Danang. We were not due to travel until October. My husband and I have traveled extensively on various airlines. Our flight from Melbourne to Ho Chi Min City was not delayed significantly, the inflight entertainment worked perfectly, the food was very nice, the plane was in good condition (no broken seats or arm rests) and staff were exceptional. You were not bothered every five minutes by them but if you wanted or needed something they were there in an instant and always with a smile. It was one of the best international flights I have ever been on. My only small criticism is that the seats are a little on the hard side and after a 9 hour flight my bottom was a bit sore. We had a connecting flight from Ho Chi Min City to Danang which was cancelled. The staff managed to get us on a flight that actually left fifty minutes earlier than the one we were supposed to be on. The airline representative went to huge lengths to make sure our bags went on the correct flight. When we arrived in Danang our luggage was there and so was our transfer. In total we had four flights with Vietnam Airlines and every one of them was excellent.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 October 2013 by S Chim    (Singapore)

Flew Singapore-Ho Chi Minh City-Danang and Hanoi-Singapore. On checking in at Singapore, I was expecting my baggage to be checked in all the way to Danang, with a 2-hour transit in Ho Chi Minh City. The check-in agent at Changi informed me that this cannot be done as "there is no longer any immigration at Danang". No immigration at Danang? Silkair flies direct from Singapore to Danang! How do they clear international passengers there then? Perhaps it is the way the Ho Chi Minh airport is designed that does not allow international passengers to transit smoothly from the international terminal to the domestic terminal? Even if we have to go through immigration at Ho Chi Minh City, why can't the baggage be checked in all the way? The result? I had to go through immigration at Ho Chi Minh City, collect the luggage myself, walk to the domestic terminal with my luggage, and check-in again for my flight to Danang. This is not a transit, it's a transfer, and it's with the same airline! Return from Hanoi to Singapore was less eventful. Used Optiontown for an upgrade to Business Class. Well worth the money, if only to avoid the very long queues at economy check-in with their big tour groups. Food and service in Business Class was also very good.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 October 2013 by B Stopher    (UK)

Flew from London to HCM Deluxe Economy. The flight was a nightmare and not what I expected. The deluxe economy was absolutely not worth the difference. Cramped, and the cabin temperature was so hot it was hard to breath. We did not receive a flight pack and there were two toothbrushes in the toilets. I asked for an eye mask, and after a lot of fuss, one was found but not in a hygienic bag. Cutlery for breakfast was plastic. The inflight entertainment was faulty. The flight stopped in Frankfurt and we were left without any information for two hours. I will not be flying with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  16 October 2013 by Rob Wood    (Indonesia)

The most chaotic check-in I have had the misfortune to experience was at Hanoi Airport this morning trying to check in for the VN Singapore flight. Unclear queues, people pushing in, slow check-in and unhelpful, unsmiling staff when passengers were getting concerned about being able to check in on time despite being at the airport in good time. Naturally the flight was late leaving and also late arriving at Singapore without a word of apology by anyone. Whilst the flight was otherwise uneventful, the whole experience was horrible and it was good to be back at Changi.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  16 October 2013 by S May    (Australia)

Myself and my wife have travelled extensively throughout Asia and Europe. We are halfway through a 2 week Business class trip to numerous destinations in Vietnam. We were booked to travel to Danang from Hanoi yesterday. Due to a typhoon, flights were delayed. NO-one at Vietnam airlines would advise us if they would be rescheduling flights. No communication to passengers, no notices. Nothing to let us know what was happening. We waited for 6 hours at the airport. We, after repeated requests were rescheduled to first available flight the next day, 30 hours after our flight was postponed. We left the airport to get a hotel room for the night at 8.40pm. Friends of ours who could not afford to stay in a hotel decided to stay at the airport. They were put on an "unscheduled flight" 20 mins after we left the airport. We are extremely upset with Vietnam Airlines, They told us that no flights would be leaving until after 2am and that we had to rebook with first available seats (business or coach) which were 9pm the following night. How can it be that we are told there is no seats and no flights, yet our friends (coach travellers) are at the destination and we are still sitting here waiting for "the only flight available"? Vietnam airlines seriously lack communication skills, integrity and respect to the passengers. I would advise anyone wishing to travel with Vietnam Airlines to seriously think about another airline. The most disappointing experience we have had with any airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2013 by Geoff Hardman    (UK)

Customer service is not in this airlines vocabulary. Planes are old and tired and the ones we flew on the video screens did not work. Flew from Hanoi to Gatwick via Frankfurt on 20th September 2013. Plane was due to depart Frankfurt at 07-15 on 21st, but it went "tec", and after a couple of hours flight was cancelled. We were eventually re-booked on to the 16-15 Lufthansa flight to Heathrow. Vietnam Airlines had no representative at Frankfurt and made no effort to transport us from Heathrow to Gatwick, where we had parked our car. We thus had to arrange our own transfer. During the 9 hour delay we endured, all we received in terms of refreshment was a small cheese roll and a can of Fanta orange. We would certainly not recommend this airline and would advise that if we travel to Vietnam again it would be with a more reputable airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2013 by David Guyatt    (UK)

Due to fly to Hanoi via Frankfurt on 20th Sep 13 at 1010hrs. Flight cancelled until 21 Sep 13. Reason given was aircraft U/S in Germany awaiting spare part. Put up in Hilton Hotel. Note pushed under our door at 2200hrs saying Flight was now 0640hrs on 21 Sep with check-in at 0500hrs! On arrival at check-in at 0500hrs, no one there! Eventually turned up at 0520hrs. Flight delayed, boarded at 0700 but didn't take-off until 0835hrs. Landed in Frankfurt to be told we could not leave the aircraft. The crew left the aircraft and the cleaning staff came on board to clean the aircraft. Spent nearly 3 hours on the plane, no refreshments offered, we had to ask for a drink. Some people helping themselves as nobody on board. Eventually the new crew came on board followed by the German passengers who found that the seats had been double booked! Told to sit wherever they could. Took-off at about 1320hrs. I suspect 2 half full flights had been turned into 1 full one! No inflight entertainment either going to Hanoi or coming back. Food and service poor. Never travel with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by Kevin Jenkins    (UK)

Bought Vietnam airlines flight as it was the fastest to Hanoi. Travelled on VN0144 from LGW to Hanoi. First the plane said it was delayed until 12.30 and there was nobody to be found in the Vietnam Airlines help desk until around 1. They said that the plane had been delayed until tomorrow, giving us a 5 meal voucher, for a decent meal in Gatwick 5 does not go far. We got put up in the Gatwick Hilton and fed which was good, but what was bad is that they gave us no information until around 10 at night by a note under the door. Vietnam Airlines had no customer service rep sent to the hotel. We finally got on the flight the next morning at around 10.00 (24hrs later). The first leg was to Frankfurt which on arrival we found out that the seats had been double booked. Also we were not allowed to get off which was annoying as I wanted to get some liquid duty free items as we were told that we were not allowed to take them to Frankfurt. The long haul stretch was uncomfortable for me as there was very limited leg space and the in flight entertainment was broken. Also the air crew let the passengers run riot over the drinks. This meant that people on board got rowdy and Vietnam airlines crew just sat at the back of the plane doing nothing. Plane safety - I didn't feel safe on-board because of the amount of disorganization and chaos from the airline. They also had no emphasis on safety and didn't show the safety videos on it's hurried take off from Frankfurt.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 October 2013 by A Hayes    (Australia)

Flew Ho Chi Minh to Frankfurt, 4 Oct on Boeing 777 200 series in business class. Although seats are a little on the old side, the were reasonably comfortable. The inflight entertainment system did not work and only one film offered on the main screen which is not acceptable in business class! Otherwise food and was excellent. Again no showers at Ho Chi Minh airport business class lounge.