Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 August 2013 by B Redinger    (Australia)

Recently used VN for our domestic flights in Vietnam during our recent trip. Both flights departed and landed on time. Paid the extra for business for the extra luggage allowance you get. Seats were spacious and comfortable and a drink and snack was provided even though very short flights. Crew smiling and pleasant. Would highly recommend for domestic flights around Vietnam.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 July 2013 by G Scott    (UK)

Flown two long haul flights (Gatwick-HCMC-Gatwick), further three internal flights with them. Whereas the internal flights were fine (comfortable seats, ok food, quick check in, etc.), the long haul flights are another beast. The seats are hard, the armrests would not fold up, the leg rests dig into your legs when folded up, particularly the aisle seats have a metal box underneath them which further limits the leg space. The inflight entertainment either does not work or is very limited. The food is very bad. Online booking of seats is not possible, turning up 4 hours before departure is still not good enough to secure an emergency exit seat or similar. Would not recommend this airline for long haul flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  24 July 2013 by Julie Armstrong    (UK)

Just had 4 four flights with Vietnam Airlines (July 2013), 2 long haul, Gatwick to HCM and Hanoi to Gatwick and 2 internal. We managed to secure upgrades to Business Class (relatively easy and inexpensive) for the long haul flights. No complaints whatsoever, cabin was good, service was exceptional. food was great. When the flight crew were not in the cabin and I wanted something I just went and asked as on most long haul flights, irrelevant of cabin class, the crew are in the cabin for only a short time. The internal flights (not business class) once again were very good, staff pleasant and so on. I obviously have not experienced the basic long haul flight cabins and service but for what we had and the little amount we paid for the 15000 miles I traveled with them I am very pleased.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2013 by D Hynes    (Australia)

Flew to Paris. 2 days before the flight discovered we needed to purchase a landing VISA to transit through the country. When we checked in we were only given boarding passes for the first leg of the trip and told we would have to collect our bags once we had purchased our VISAs. First flight from Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh City our head sets didn't work and flight attendants unhelpful. Request for vegetarian meals was not granted. Upon landing in Ho Chi Minh City we raced to the VISA counter. Once we got them we collected our bags and were given boarding passes for a domestic flight to Hanoi. Boarded, only to disembark due to a 'technical difficulty'. 20 mins later given new boarding passes and allowed to board the same aircraft. In Hanoi we made our flight to Paris with 15 mins to spare. Unfortunately the process had to be repeated coming home with additional cost for the paperwork needed for the VISA. After a 13 hour flight from Paris we had to collect our bags, clear customs and recheck in. Followed by an 8 hour wait in Hanoi's Domestic Terminal which is very small and lacking in facilities followed by another 2 hour flight to Ho Chi Minh and a further 3 hour wait before we boarded our plane to Melbourne. We would not recommend flying with this carrier. They weren't reliable, friendly or cost effective in any way.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 July 2013 by M Sinclaire    (UK)

7th July on VN144, returned on 23rd on VN942. I was very nervous to fly VA long haul after reading all the reviews online, therefore I was very pleasantly surprised on my outbound journey! Plane was clean, the stewardesses were friendly and polite, the food was amazing and the in flight entertainment worked! And to top it off, we got free meal coupons (breakfast and lunch) at the airport restaurant because we had a long wait. However, the return flight wasn't as pleasant as the plane seemed slightly smaller and the leg room was terrible. Still, considering I half of what I normally would, I couldn't complain. All in all, a good airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 July 2013 by N Cooper    (Australia)

Sydney - Ho Chi Minh - Frankfurt return. On the first flight from Sydney to Ho Chi Minh, the flight attendants huddled in the back while they sat and talked. I had a 7 hour layover on the way to Europe. On all flights, there were some good, some bad flight attendants. Also on all flights, the food was just ok. A Vietnamese friend of mine said I should bring some extra food of my own for this same reason. Check-in was a nightmare due to inability of people to queue up as well. The inflight entertainment didn't work on the first 12 hour flight back and it kept restarting on the second 10 hour flight. I had a 12 hour layover coming back which is beyond acceptable. I would never fly with Vietnam Airlines again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 July 2013 by M Young    (Australia)

Don't fly Vietnam Airlines if you are anywhere near 6 ft tall. Our flight was called 20 minutes before due flight time, 75 minutes later no one had boarded, no announcements to explain, those keen to get on early were still in the queue. Flight was nearly full, but back row was free, I asked if I could take a seat, was told to get back to my seat. Staff treated passengers with barely disguised contempt. They offered chicken or beef options for the main course, and we were one of the first served. My wife and I asked for the beef, and were told there was only 1 left! Breakfast was completely inedible, I looked around the cabin, the food was virtually untouched. Overall, one of the worst flights in over 30 years of flying.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 June 2013 by Truong Ba Hao    (Vietnam)

SGN - SIN and return. Flight attendants friendly. Felt relaxed and comfortable. Clean cabin and clean toilet.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 June 2013 by Alexander J Ross    (Australia)

My holiday was to start in June 2013 so I booked in Feb 2013. Advised that flight no. 1314 from Saigon to Da Nang. One month before my holiday the flight was cancelled and the times changed - flight no. 1316. Then on arrival in Vietnam advised again that the flight was cancelled and changed to flight no. 1318. On arrival to Saigon airport advised that the flight no. 1318 was delayed for a total of 6 hours for a 1 hour flight. All I can say is that this is very poor service from an airline that has a monopoly position in the local market. They need some serious competition to sharpen up their service standards.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 June 2013 by T Kaminski    (Germany)

Siem Reap - Luang Prabang, April 30th. Plane looks new but the cabin was not very well maintained with dirty windows, loose tables and my backrest would not stay upright. Disappointing service for the relatively high prices with just a rather disgusting sandwich, an apple and soft drinks offered. No tea or coffee or beer. Flight attendants are courteous but do not smile or interact with passengers and that despite the flight being almost empty. However they got us there safely and on time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 June 2013 by Bernardo Keller    (Switzerland)

Flight VN931 on 24 May 2013, from Luang Prabang (Laos) to Siem Reap (Cambodia), an ATR72 aircraft, only 7 passengers on board, a cabin crew of 3 flight attendants (all men). After takeoff a small meal box with a cake and a desert was given to each passenger, no drinks, not even water for a 1hr 45mins flight, and it was not a cheap flight! A big surprise to see all flights attendants sleeping, one in the front row and two others at the rear of the aircraft. They only woke up when the captain announced landing at Siem Reap Airport!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 May 2013 by Johan Verelst    (Belgium)

Long haul from Paris CDG to Hanoi. Good food on board, but service of flight attendants and inflight entertainment is very poor. Have also flown with them domestic and no comments therefore. Flights always on time and good service. Will never fly long haul with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2013 by M Adler    (UK)

Our return flight from Saigon to Gatwick on 22 March 2013 was delayed by 8 hours. When we arrived at Saigon from Da Nang we were met in the arrivals area and were very quickly and efficiently transported to the Park Royal Hotel where we allocated a pleasant room and given vouchers for dinner and breakfast. Next morning an alarm call woke us and after breakfast we were mini-bussed to the Airport and boarded our flight for a very smooth ride back to the UK. It all worked like clockwork!

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 May 2013 by R Bodycoat    (Australia)

Recently travelled from MEL to HCMC then returned from Hanoi to HCMC and onwards to Melbourne. On the trip from HCMC to Melbourne we were less than impressed. The stewardesses made a great show of coming around to take our meal orders then proceeded to bring the meals out one at a time. By the time they reached us (we were in the centre in row 3) they had run out of our chosen meal so we were given the choice of pho or instant noodles - not what I would consider "Business Class" food! There was only one toilet in this cabin. We were not impressed with this airline.