Vietnam Airlines Customer Reviews and Vietnam Airlines Passenger Trip Reports

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  9 November 2012 by Claire Potter    (UK)

I booked Vietnam Airlines as they are the only company that do direct flights to Vietnam - I was travelling with children and wanted to get to Vietnam in the shortest possible time! The stewards were rude and offhand. Three out of four of our entertainment systems and reading lights didn't work and when we asked to be moved they were uninterested and told us there was nothing that could be done and we should just rest! This was a daytime flight with a 6-year old and a 13-year old. We were told to try and get compensation once we were back home.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 November 2012 by Thomas Teuscher    (Switzerland)

For price reasons I travelled Vietnam Airlines last week from Paris - Bangkok (via Hanoi) - Sydney (via Ho Chi Minh) - Paris (via Ho Chi Minh). 1 month ago I travelled Paris - Hanoi return as well. Both times Business class. Service excellent, food and wine very good selection, noodle soups as snacks available throughout the 13 hour flight served by a smiling crew. Only negative is the flight entertainment system which had the same films for all the above cited flights. Crew told me that the programmes only change every 3 to 4 months due to cost reasons - take your own DVDs along.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  7 November 2012 by Peter Mair    (UK)

Unremarkable short hop from Vientiane to Phnom Penh. Clean comfortable cabin, friendly cabin crew. Belgian (I think) captain gave occasional information.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 November 2012 by T Hill    (Vietnam)

SGN to HAN return: Clean 777 each way with competent FA's. Left on time and arrived on time. Vietnam Airlines SMS'd a flight change the way they promised and did so well in advance. Stay away from starboard row 28. There's lots of leg room, since it's an exit row, but the passenger seats have been "minimized" to accommodate flight attendant seating and are a bit snug for an average sized Westerner.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2012 by A Hawke    (Australia)

3 adults had 4 flights in Business Class Melbourne SGN, SGN Moscow, Frankfurt SGN, SGN Melbourne over September/October. Service on all flights excellent, standout was crew on Frankfurt - SGN leg where staff addressed all by name over course of flight. IFE on all flights ok with good range of movies, food plentiful and good quality, wines good and water provided without request and often. Ground staff helpful in all instances - flights on time and cabins in good shape.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  30 October 2012 by C Whitehead    (UK)

Returned from Hanoi on a very worn out B777. Food was passable. When we discovered that all 3 consoles in our row did not work we asked to move as there appeared to be lots of empty seats, requested 2 seats together. The crew member said initially that this was not possible but then said that she had found a pair of seats. My husband went to look and by that time someone else had taken the seats, another row with one person sprawled across three seats, the flight was not full. Eventually the Consoles did work but not for most of the 12 hour flight, when it did finally work I missed the last 45 minutes of a film as the crew collected the headphones. Waited for the loo for ages, told a crew member that someone had been in there for a long time and hoped they were OK. Steward knocked on door, no response so he opened it to discover it empty, problem with a broken lock! I don't think it was used after that.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  12 October 2012 by M Reeves    (Vietnam)

Flew SGN-HAN on a relatively old but well enough maintained B777. Food was pretty good and the FAs were pleasant. Flight left on time and luggage came out quickly. My only complaint is about the standard of food in the business class lounge. Otherwise very good.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2012 by J Chan    (Australia)

I flew SYD-SGN-HAN-SGN then REP-SGN-SYD and was pleasantly surprised by Vietnam Airlines. The planes on the long haul sections were fairly new and comfortable with good inflight entertainment systems. Planes on the short haul sections were older with no inflight entertainment. Service was good on all flights, the planes were clean and the food ranged from good to very good.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  5 September 2012 by B Dawson    (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to HCMC and from Hanoi to London Gatwick. On both journeys the inflight entertainment was broken leading to two very long and boring 12 hour flights. When we asked the air crew they reacted as if this was a constant problem and apologized that there was nothing they could do. That apart, the food was a decent standard, the staff were very friendly, legroom was adequate but not ideal (6ft Male). The aircraft were very dated B777 with lots of broken consoles, seats and even components held together with duct tape. We would use them again but only if there was no alternative.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  4 September 2012 by J Maley    (Australia)

Absolutely terrible service, over 48hr delay in Gatwick with little to no information provided on when/how we would get to fly to our destination. Missed a 3 day stop over in Ho Chi Minh because of this delay and the service by staff was extremely disappointing. No benefits offered when we did finally get on a new flight, lots of incorrect flight information provided and generally treated disgracefully by the airline. I was not provided with a Gluten Free meal which I requested (and require for health reasons) and we had broken entertainment systems for the 12hr leg of our journey. I would not recommend flying Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2012 by Michael Tran    (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to Hanoi to Saigon to HUE to Nha Trang and back to Saigon and back home and I would say that Vietnam airline is a good airline if you want a cheap flight to Southeast Asia. Staff are friendly and the food is at a good standard. Seat comfort is what you would expect for economy. Entertainment is okay but on the first flight the entertainment broke so had to entertain myself for 12 hours but overall if you want a cheap flight to Southeast Asia then I would recommend Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 August 2012 by Nikki Maxwell    (Australia)

Flew Melbourne to Paris return in business class. Extremely mediocre food and service on all legs bar the Paris back to Hanoi flight where they attempted to offer you your next course only once you had finished eating the one before. On all other flights the trays were presented in their entirety with offers of a first glass of wine along with tea or coffee - this on an 11 hour daytime flight. Still the cost was cheap and much lower than other airlines. It still wouldn't convince me to travel again with Vietnam as on every sector my arm rest was held together with duct tape, on one flight part of the overhead panels were also being held together with duct tape and on the 2 different aircraft's I flew on the seats were uncomfortable. The foot rests only raised off the ground marginally so even when the seat back was in full recline your body is at a crazy angle - not conducive for sleeping. One positive note - ground staff in Hanoi and HCMC (Saigon) were first class.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  20 August 2012 by Lucy Martin    (UK)

We booked our flight in April to fly direct from Gatwick to HCM. The inflight entertainment was hit and miss - I'd say about 50% on the back seat screens probably had some sort of problem. Food on the flight out was better than the return and the staff although polite on the way out, were friendlier on our return. The seats and leg room were what you would expect from economy class. Both of our flights left and arrived on time. My only real gripe with VA is that nowhere through the online booking process did it state that we needed a visa for Vietnam. Having looked again at their site, it is still very unclear.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 August 2012 by M Laws    (Australia)

SYD-SGN-SYD. Really nice flights. The food was fairly good, but some meals were just plain. The seats were fairly wide, and had a larger than usual amount of leg-space, which I appreciated. Unlike some other airlines, the seats didn't make me fidget or get up as often as others, and they were quite comfortable to sleep in, for economy. Overall a great airline to fly to SE Asia.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 August 2012 by Kevin Reynolds    (UK)

London Gatwick to Bangkok via Hanoi. No online check in but can check in at least 5 hours before flight at London Gatwick. Food ok. Staff friendly and Hanoi airport is cheap. Some shops don't except Pounds. A great airline at a great price. The fare was only 80 but with tax and fees it came to 480.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  13 August 2012 by R Wells    (UK)

Flying Gatwick to Bangkok: First flight cabin crew stingy with drinks and coffee. All crew seemed miserable and keen to get lights off so that they could ignore you. My sons entertainment console locked up and despite repeated requests crew did nothing. Crew managed to ignore the attention light for a good 30 minutes. Second flight eating tray was broken so could not sit together as a family. Return flight entertainment console broken so either sit apart or no entertainment. Same level of miserable service. When meal served one side of the plane got top up drinks and other didn't suggesting lax systems. Would avoid unless cheaper than any other airline.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 August 2012 by K Bissett    (Australia)

SYD-SGN-CDG and returning CDG-HAN-SGN-SYD. Food, in-flight movies and service of a good standard for price. Australia-Europe travellers be aware that the return journey had a domestic Hanoi to Saigon leg that added hours to the journey and required a transit visa. Vietnam Airlines provided a Hanoi hotel for the 10 hour stopover - making it bearable - and arranged for transit visa with US$25 cash on arrival. However, aggressive Air France staff in Paris attempted to block us boarding as we had no written evidence of a transit visa. Only after a series of frantic phone calls was clearance given.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 August 2012 by M Reeve    (Vietnam)

VN921 from VTE to SGN. Vietnam Airlines have monopolized this route and despite charging top dollar didn't even provide food or alcoholic beverages. The flight stops off in PNH where everybody has to get off and wait and we were delayed. Staff were generally friendly and welcoming although the purser was very unreceptive when I asked why food and alcoholic beverages were not provided.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 July 2012 by R Vogt    (Germany)

Travelled from FRA to SGN in 777 and SGN to SIN in A321. Flight from FRA to SGN was good and the service was excellent. For dinner and breakfast there was a great choice between different meals, food tasted good and was more than enough. The transfer in SGN was easy. The staff at the transfer counter were friendly and had already my boarding pass to SIN and the lounge invitation ready for me. So no waiting time at the counter. The 2 hours flight from SGN to SIN was eventless and good. For lunch there was a choice between 3 different meals and staff was friendly.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2012 by J Vigus    (Australia)

Travelled from Melbourne to Hanoi return, the flight over was very good, on an A330. Service was great, and very comfortable seats. Unfortunately the return flight was on a B777, the economy section was crowded with very old seats with no personal entertainment screens. Seats had a particularly hard section (meeting your lower back) and did not recline at all. The internal electric's were not working, so our section could not turn on or off personal lights, contact service crew etc, and to make matters worse, one light was permanently on, and could not be turned off. My partner had a small box for some sort of wiring in his foot space. We were very pleased with the flight over and the two domestic flights, but the return trip was the worst flight we have been on, the staff did their best, but the economy section in the B777 needs to be refurbished asap.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 July 2012 by I Anderson    (Australia)

Flew from Melbourne to HCM return (8.5 hours each leg). The plane (Airbus 330) was full going over and it left and arrived on time. It was an uneventful flight with the crew efficiently serving meals and regularly coming around with drinks (water, juice etc). The entertainment was reasonable, although we flew three weeks apart and the movie selection had not changed in that time. On the return trip (mid week) the plane was only one third full. I am 6 foot tall and found the seats / legroom okay for an economy class seat. I would fly with them again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  3 July 2012 by Lukasz Kasperek    (Poland)

I travelled with Vietnam Airlines three times. Although the airplanes I flew in were not brand new ones, they were well equipped and offered enough leg space. Inflight entertainment could be better, AVOD system is available on the long-haul flights but there were not many interesting channels available. Staff service, especially on the long-haul flight was superb, much better than on many European airlines I travelled with. Finally, I now know that it is possible to serve delicious food onboard, even in Economy class. I can really recommend flying Vietnam Airlines.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  2 July 2012 by Christine Lauder    (Australia)

I travel to Vietnam almost every 12 months, and take senior school students on tour there every two years, so I have had many internal and international flights with VNM. Last two trips were on cramped A320s, no leg room at all, and my taller students, some well over 6ft had to sit bolt upright all night, and even then their legs were jammed into the seat in front all trip. Even I, at 171cm could not recline seat enough to be slightly comfortable. If someone in front reclines their seat, it's in your face, literally! They used to fly 777s on the Melbourne and Sydney routes, these were quiet and comfortable. Their scheduling suits going either way, and I used to think they were a good airline, and recommended them to friends. No longer. I'd rather travel via Singapore or Hong Kong and spend more time in transit than fly with them again. They seem to have a contempt for their international customers' comfort. Internal flights by contrast are usually fine, except that Vietnam Airlines is developing a habit of "rescheduling" flights due to some inscrutable problem, really probably because the flight isn't full and they cancel it, so you can sit around airports for hours waiting for the next plane, and no reason or apology offered.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  29 June 2012 by B Dinkel    (Vietnam)

HCMC-Hanoi 27th June, VN 1140. Very enjoyable short flight, good inflight food - tasty and fresh. Cabin crew attentive and interacting. Seating very good. Despite being a short flight, overall very pleasant to travel with. Only suggestion would be to have also water handy on the pre-drink tablet, currently only sweet juices offered, water must be asked for.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 June 2012 by P McDonald    (UK)

LGW-SGN 9.6.12 return SGN-LGW 22.6.12 Deluxe Economy - we were advised of a change of flight times but not told why and were informed when got to check in that we were going via Frankfurt both going out and on the return. The reason we booked with Vietnam Airlines was due to the direct flights between LGW and SGN. We travel with our son who is 3 and previously flown Singapore Airlines which is only a 55 min transfer at Singapore unlike the almost 2 hours spent in Frankfurt. We would have chosen to fly Singapore Airlines if we had known that the flight would not be direct. Apart from the non direct issue the flight itself was comfy, we were in deluxe economy which is comfortable and spacious and just what was needed on a long flight. There is plenty of leg room and the seats recline a long way. This was worth the extra money. The child's meal on the way out was good but on the return all the food was below standard. Our 3 year olds child meal was prawns wrapped in noodles and salad for breakfast. Our own meals on the return were again not great and only just warm. The entertainment system did also not work on the return trip which is a huge disappointment.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 June 2012 by J Dahl    (Australia)

Flight: In last month. An excellent trip with lovely attentive staff. Modern A330 aircraft and more than adequate AVOD. Terrific vegetarian food offered (a nice surprise), and many drinks rounds.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2012 by P Mistry    (UK)

London Gatwick - Bangkok via HCMC. Plane was Boeing 777. Smooth check-in in London. Our plane had a technical stopover in Paris for 2 hr to pick up more passengers and refuelling. Even with the technical stopover we still arrived 1hr early. Inflight food and drink service was very good. I pre-ordered Asian Vegetarian meal which arrived and was tasty. Seats are a bit hard but ok. Inflight entertainment ok but old and on loop. On arrival in HCMC airport we were guided by ground staff to international departures to catch our flight to Bangkok, Thailand. Luggage was transferred automatically. I would use this airline again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 June 2012 by Daniel Winters-McAppion    (Australia)

SIN-HAN on A330. Older style but comfortable seats with good pitch. Food tasty, staff helpful. IFE disaster and no apologies for its absence. Seemed to be on older aircraft with tatty carpet and missing or broken panels. VN has a way to go to catch up with other Asian carriers but they have good prices.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2012 by R Mortara    (UK)

I took 2 domestic flights during May, both on A321s. Seats are comfortable, especially as I was able to secure a seat in the emergency exit row, so enjoyed a few inches extra leg room. Both aircraft's clean and well kept. Both flights were on time, which was good. However, you only get a bottle of water on these flights and the crew did the minimum. On both flights once they had handed out the drinks, the crews disappeared until just before landing. I also thought that their attention to ensuring passengers had seat belts on and had stopped using their electronic devices at the time requested was minimal. At least baggage claim at both destinations was prompt, but all in all I was not impressed and would avoid them if I went to Vietnam again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2012 by George Mladenov    (Australia)

Flew return Sydney-Hanoi via Saigon. Everything was on time and the luggage arrived. There was an army of staff waiting in Saigon to direct the Australians catching the connecting flight to Hanoi. They collected our luggage for us to transport it to the Domestic Terminal, and they drove us in a bus even though it was a short walk. I found all meals onboard delicious. The 9 hour flight went by extremely quickly because there were plenty of movie choices. My only disappointment was when I flew VN from Saigon-Bangkok last year they gave us bottles of water, for the Sydney flight they were filling up very small cups only.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  1 June 2012 by Edward Gaskin    (UK)

Gatwick-HCMC. Departure time brought forward 3 hours, what should have been a direct 12.5 hour flight was to become 16.5 hours. Despite checking in 3 hours before departure and being 2 of only 42 Gatwick boarding passengers were told that all seats were taken prior to our arrival and nothing offered with extra legroom. Asked why we were unable to book seats online, told system not available as yet - although it appears that those boarding at CDG some 5 hours later were able to. Unable to check-in luggage for internal connections at HCM. Service onboard miserable. Sent my prawns back as they were tepid and received tepid chicken instead. Sent it back. Aperitif arrived after dinner. Video system not working. Refused to eat yet again tepid breakfast and couldn't get off quick enough on final arrival at HCMC. The thought of another 16.5 hour journey is ruining my idea of a relaxed holiday.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 May 2012 by R Ahmad    (UK)

Gatwick to Hanoi and HCM to Gatwick. Also used for internal flights. Booked as direct flights to/from Vietnam, but were changed at last minute. We were required to stop and disembark at Frankfurt on way to Hanoi and on the return leg, we stopped at CDG for 1.5 hrs. Planes tired and inflight entertainment limited for a long haul flight. No vegetarian meals provided on internal flight - told that these should have been booked in advance, but were not made aware of this prior to flight. On return leg, requested aisle seat not provided and a baby basket was erected in front of our seats for another passenger without any prior warning or consultation and which trapped us into our seats. Staff could not have been more unhelpful in resolving. Generally found the staff (whether inflight or at check-in) unfriendly and not willing to listen or assist. Would not recommend for international flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  21 May 2012 by A Lewis    (Australia)

Travelled to UK/Europe, with very few complaints. Very first flight delayed 5 hours, meaning we missed our connection in Ho Chi Minh, but that was because of a typhoon, and although it was a little chaotic when we arrived the airline put us up in a lovely hotel and paid all our meals until we left the following night. Yes the seating is a little cramped, the meals average, the entertainment system a bit hit and miss, but all flight staff seem friendly and helpful, and the price was great.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  17 May 2012 by Gavin Slater    (UK)

BKK-SGN-BKK Business. This was a short flight but a reasonably pleasant one. Service was good form crew. On short flights hot meals were served with drinks and refills. There was no need for entertainment so did not pay attention. Planes were A321 - fairly new and clean. No problems on either flights. Lounge at Bangkok was Louis Tavern (a CIP lounge) and fairly basic and VN airlines (Skyteam) lounge at SGN which is bigger and better equipped. All in all good flights.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  15 May 2012 by N Tristram    (UK)

Flew from Gatwick to HCM. The whole plane was very scruffy, the food and entertainment out was ok though only Asian breakfast available and the staff were on the whole pretty good, however on the flight home the entertainment system didn't work, the food was poor and if possible the plane was even scruffier than the one we flew out in. On the whole until the upgrade their fleet I would not fly with them again. Even if it means having a two stop flight it would still be more desirable than flying with VA.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  8 May 2012 by Allan Fitz    (UK)

Flew Gatwick to Hanoi in Deluxe Economy. Possibly the worst quality aircraft I have ever been on. Tatty seats with the covering on the arms falling off, dirty and uncomfortable, no padding left in the seat cushion and for 11 hours it was uncomfortable. To create a deluxe economy class they have simply removed one row of seats from the economy cabin to give a greater seat pitch, no extra width or any other perks whatsoever. Flight attendants were okay, food average and inflight entertainment worked. Overall for the extra we paid not worth the money. I would rather fly via Bangkok on a quality premium economy than waste my money with VA again.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  26 April 2012 by Farouk Mogheth    (Thailand)

Bangkok-Hanoi-Seoul-HCMC-Bangkok. Flights from and to Vietnam operated by A321. Check-in was fast, onboard was clean, new with generous leg room. Food was nice with one drink round. Staff were helpful, some robotic but not rude. Flight to Korea on a wide-body A330, new nice interiors, very comfortable seats and AVOD with a good selection of films. Same food as on short flight. Return flight however, was on B777 with old interior, very cramped, uncomfortable hard seat and leg room smaller than A320s - all head rests were not functional. Food was good and crew of a good standard. Overall the experience including transit was acceptable. All flights on time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2012 by K Smith    (Australia)

Domestic flights are great - I have flown them for the past 3 years usually doing at least 3-4 flights each year and both in Economy and Business Class - flights always on time and the staff were helpful and courteous.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2012 by B Sakhawoth    (Australia)

Melbourne to Ho Chi Minh. Flight took off late, by the time meals were served there were no options left, however, later they brought us a meal, not sure how and why that was not available earlier. Inflight entertainment was not working. Ho Chi Minh to Hong Kong flight was ok. Return to Melbourne from Hong Kong via Ho Chi Minh, we were the third to check-in. When I asked if our seats were together we were just brushed away. We boarded, only to find out we had the very last seats facing the toilets. After take-off everyone's meals are served and we are the last once again. The senior flight attendant apologised and got us business class meals. Our final leg was Ho Chi Minh to Melbourne. Boarded to realise my husband and myself were separated for the trip. The young man sitting next to my husband offered to swap with me. We would rather pay the extra and travel another airline next time.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by A Panguin    (Singapore)

Hanoi to Singapore. Departure delayed. Economy was full so some were upgraded to business. Food was passable, IFE consisted of documentaries. The only English language newspaper was Vietnam news. The seat had the old-fashion DC-out power socket but the steward said that there was no power at the seat. I had flown VN a few years ago and it was fine. I would say a notch down from SQ. This time, I would say it is several notches down.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2012 by D Wilson    (UK)

Although checking in 3 hours before take-off, only the last row was available with an aisle seat. I eventually got a window seat. There was only a single choice for dinner - pork- by the time I was served. At breakfast the trolley passed by me, I had to ask if I would be getting breakfast. There was chewing gum residue on the video monitor next to me. The monitors are tiny and the foil had worn out on the "buttons" on mine. The pitch is very tight but the staff at least got passengers to put the seats upright during meals or eating would have been impossible. Very limited film selection was the same on flights in both directions.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2012 by P Stanley    (UK)

SGN-SIN. Aircraft not very clean and no attention paid to safety - people using mobiles whilst aircraft was moving, and bags stowed in front of seats. Unable to deplane at Singapore for 30 minutes. Return to SGN - aircraft parked remotely and passengers bussed to terminal, despite half the stands being empty. Not impressed.

Vietnam Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2012 by Paul Whitehouse    (Australia)

Had 4 flights with my wife and 2 children - was only seated with my family on 1 flight! Staff appeared helpful, but could not re-arrange seats - 1 long flight was easily re-arranged when onboard. Entertainment was either not operating, or the sound was not audible. Last overnight flight back to Sydney from Saigon had a crying baby - staff were nowhere to be seen until the child stopped crying.