Uzbekistan Airways Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

1 2

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  24 May 2010 by D Zylbermann   (Israel)

TelAviv-Tashkent-Tokyo, Osaka-Tashkent-TLV, plus TLV-Tashkent-BKK-Tashkent-TLV, coach on all legs. Low cost airline means low maintenance in the planes, the seats were coming apart, the inflight entertainment was only in Uzbek (or Russian). We didn't try their food, but the special meals we ordered were awful. Out of the 8 legs, only one (the last, thankfully) did we feel unsafe, and that was because of turbulence. We flew high season and paid about 40% of the regular fare so cannot complain. I would not fly with them if the difference in price was not so huge.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  28 March 2010 by G Barlow   (UK)

Delhi-Tashkent-LHR - flew first class as was half the price of usual business class DEL to LHR. Had first class to myself. Old style reclining sprung seats in 767 - reasonable room but not lie flat. No power at seat so laptop ran out of battery which is a shame because in flight entertainment is a couple of poor films on overhead screen. Flight staff excellent even encouraging a visit to Uzbekhistan and showing the best tourist sites. Plenty of food and drinks on tap. Everything to time. Rather bizarrely the only delay was at Terminal Four when had to wait on the air-bridge for 30 minutes until someone opened the door! Overall felt budget compared with traditional carriers but very comfortable which is what I paid for.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  22 March 2010 by F Rogers   (Australia)

Tashkent to Nukus (domestic) - was scared to board the old TU 154. Seemed to be patched up on the outside, no one seems to acknowledge seat allocation and I think I caused an onboard fight by making this woman move from my seat, who yelled at me and then the woman in her seat who took it out on the person in her seat and so on. But they did move. Wasn't that cheap considering the plane we were in. Couldn't relax until we arrived. Had some peanuts and flavoured water served to us. Seats folded down forwards when we got off the plane. Security guards in the baggage collection area checking our tickets when we collected our bags. Still it beats the 14 hours train ride when you're on a tight schedule.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  26 February 2010 by A Marsh   (Malaysia)

Bangkok-Tashkent-Bishkek. Flight attendants great. An older plane but was comfortable in Business Class with no other passengers.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  23 February 2010 by Jorgen Caceres   (Sweden)

Lahore - Tashkent - Frankfurt in Business. First of all I'd like to acknowledge the work of the flight attendants. They do an excellent job, friendly and quite service minded, despite the dated equipment. Lahore - Tashkent food is - well, that is the question. Supposedly chicken, but it could have been anything. Tea was served in a plastic cup with broken ear. But with a smile. Some sort of business-class package given, with slippers and sleeping mask. Tashkent - Frankfurt service fine, only overhead IFE. I managed to fold down my chair to almost lie-flat - before realising it was because it was broken. My fellow passenger behind me protested with a moan (I would have been louder actually). Planes are old. They were nice 18 years ago, when UA started their service. Nowadays it's not so good. But they get the job done. In conclusion, it's fortunate I didn't have to pay these tickets out of my own pocket.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  10 November 2009 by R Blackburn   (UK)

If you book your flight in Tashkent, you get what you pay for - basic service that will get you from A to B with no frills. However, if you book your flight outside of Uzbekistan the flight prices are ridiculous. I regularly fly LHR-TAS-LHR. If I have my ticket booked in Tashkent it costs approx $350 return - if booked in London, costs me about 550 from the airline. I take great issue with the check in at Heathrow. There are 3 check in desks to check in about 300 people. Many of those 300 speak little or no English which makes the process more prolonged and agonising. There is a screen that says "Tashkent- Business class check in". This isn't used for Business class only and even those paying a premium price can expect to wait up to 2 hours to check in. Boarding is as expected - everyone pushes but my experience has been that everyone sits in their allocated seats. Inflight entertainment is poor, seats are comfortable and cleanliness is acceptable. Staff vary from helpful to uncooperative. A bribe can be paid ($50-$100) to cabin crew to sit in business class.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  5 November 2009 by James Miller   (UK)

Tashkent - Istanbul - Tashkent. Outbound flight went to plan - satisfactory and no more: a small miracle for this outfit! Then turned up at 12:45 this past Sunday for the return flight, only to see nothing listed on the departure board! The Uzbek Air desk at the airport was unmanned and the airport information desk said there was no flight - as printed on my ticket - it did not exist! After wasting the day at the airport, turned up at my hotel again and eventually found the city office for the airline on Tuesday - an obscure office tucked away in a dark and dingy building. They photocopied my ticket and said it would be sent to Tashkent for "investigation." How much of an investigation is there for a ticket printed for a flight that does not exist? Phoned them back yesterday (Friday) as they had not called me back as promised! I can indeed fly - but for a fee of 25 Euro! In their view, it was my error not to turn up to their office on Monday, given that I arrived "late" on the Tuesday. I had not contacted them "immediately". Never mind that nobody was at their airport desk and that airport information tried hard to reach them. Worse, the flight that I should have been on - has my ticket been printed correctly- has been cancelled anyway. So either way, I would have been inconvenienced! This is an airline that hides behind its books at every corner, where customer service is an inside joke. The airline is a microcosm of its country itself.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  4 November 2009 by K Fridlington   (UK)

LHR-Tashkent-LHR. Check in staff at Heathrow explained as the flight was not full we could have a row to ourselves. Food service okay - lots of it but low quality. Wine was local. Seats okay. IFE very poor. On return the flight was filled with those transferring from Dehli so the plane was full.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review :  6 October 2009 by Amit Shah   (UK)

LHR-TAS-LHR economy. When checking in at LHR, I was informed that the flight would be making an unscheduled stopover at Paris CDG. The rumour had it that it was to pick up the UZB president's daughter. All this meant the flight to TAS would take 9hrs long, 2 hrs longer than normal. Some people confirmed such unscheduled stopovers were quite commonplace. I was not impressed. Inflight service is pretty bad. So bad that when you call the stewardess, they do not turn up. Even when they turn up, they are so unhappy to be serving you, so rude, it is quite unbelievable. I did not eat the food that was served, so can not comment on that. On the way back I paid the head stewardess $100 to sit in business class. Seats are good, not flat bed, but of large size.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review : 18 September 2009 by Colin Pay

Customer Rating : 3/5

3 Star Rating

LHR-TAS return and UGC-TAS. International flight operated by B757. Legroom poor by scheduled flight standard, more like charter. Plane only half full both ways so room to spread out. Food and drinks service okay. Both flights on time. Internal flight by Ilyshin 114,no problems. No food but 2 drinks on 1hr 45min leg. My concern is security at Uzbeck airports - people allowed through security with all manner of liquids, sealed and open. Security appears second to form filling and stamping.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review : 27 July 2009 by Iain Williamson

Customer Rating : 4/5

4 Star Rating

Riga to Tashkent then on to Lahore and back. This airline's routes are excellent. Food excellent with copious amounts. Service fine and nice to get different tasting beers than the usual. FAs fine once they trust you are not going to be another difficult passenger. Uzbekistan Airways suffers from poor ground operations and officialdom at their airports, which means that by the time people board the craft they are not always at their best. This is taxing on cabin crew who respond with professionalism even if they are not the greatest smilers. I understand Uzbekistan Airways are joining Skyteam. They are easily in the class of some other members of Skyteam now, so hopefully this will mean more good connections in an area of the world they serve well.

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS customer review : 24 June 2009 by P Novotny

Customer Rating : 2/5

2 Star Rating

Two stars is an average of 3 stars for international a 1 star for national flights. I experienced Frankfurt-Tashkent-Frankfurt, Tashkent-Chiva-Tashkent and Tashkent-Bukhara- Tashkent. Airplanes on international flights are mainly Boeings 757, quite new ones, national manly Tupolevs 155M, probably from 80s. Space in planes is comparable to any other airlines, service is quite pure. Local people do not look for right seats very carefully, so the staff ask you to sit anywhere at the end of boarding. You also have to know that there are two separate buildings at the airport – national and international. The business lounge at Tashkent airport has improved a lot – if you travel in business or with gold cards, look for business check-in counter, which is located in the corridor next to main hall.

Uzbekistan Airways - by Davron Mirsagatov

10 June 2009  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

TAS-JFK. As usually when I was flying with Uzbekistan Airways, I was not expecting too much. I bought economy class ticket, and when I entered the economy class I saw how full it was and saw how seats are close to each other, so I decided to bribe crew to be upgraded to business class. Bribe cost me 50 USD which I thought was worth for transatlantic flight. Surprisingly I even saw Americans and Europeans bribing crew, apparently they were aware of rules at Uzbek Air. Seats were cosy and comfortable, however no personal screen and even TV screen in mid of cabin was not working and crew said that we will have to stick to small screen at the front of the cabin. I think it was worst my business class flight experience due to fact that no personal screens nor any flight entertainment were offer at 15 hour flight. I was feeling sorry for people who had to pay actual business class price for this horrible service. Flights to JFK stop in Riga and crew changes and all passengers have to go through security check in Riga Airport. The new crew at board start asking me for another bribe telling em that I didnt have my pass for business and so on. Even thou I made deal with crew from TAS that my 50 is for whole flight to NYC. I refused to change my seat so I still remained in business and flight attendant could not do nothing. Be aware that Uzbekistan Airways is old planes without any entertainment for long flights.

Uzbekistan Airways - by James Miller

31 December 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

Took two flights with this outfit, a return TAS-ALA-TAS. The outbound flight went well, booked it online via Opodo and was given an E-ticket. The aircraft was a Boeing 757. The return was a different matter and it all went wrong from here! I was not able to get the return flight I wanted, but was advised to go to the airport in Almaty before the flight, as they usually hold a couple of seats for every plane. My girlfriend is Russian and spoke to the staff on our behalf. We were informed that we could have two seats - but we would have to pay a bribe on top on the standard seat charges! I took exception at first, but then worked out that it would be cheaper than paying an additional day for accommodation. However, it then transpired that the staff were in-fact refusing seats to another couple, telling them that check-in had closed for them, when in reality there was 30 minutes left for check-in. Clearly, they were being denied boarding so that the airline staff could collect my bribe! I felt terrible but did not have to cancel my deal with the staff as the couple being denied boarding work out that they would need to bribe the staff too! They did so and where allowed to proceed to check-in, my girlfriend was then told the seats were not available after-all! She also informed me that they ground staff were really very rude indeed to this couple, having threatened them with “trouble” if they complained about the flight being closed early! We went to a travel agent and book a normal ticket on a later flight without any bribes! That flight to Tashkent was then not on a nice 757 but on a Russian Tupolev 155 aircraft. While it is quite special in a way to have the full Soviet Union flying experience, it is not comfortable, quite or smooth! With no turbulence, this thing rockets up and down like a fighter jet; the noise is such that you may as well be sitting on the wing! While we took off on-time, we were met with fog in Tashkent and diverted to Sarmankand, only landing in Tashkent some hours late. As such I missed my Aeroflot connection to Moscow and spent hours killing time in the airport. The funny thing was the only bar in the departure lounge does not take the national currency – just Russian Rubles and dollars! The cherry on the cake was again the ground staff coming back for bribes! I was well overweight for my Moscow connecting Aeroflot flight, but $50.00 was exchanged and the matter resolved! In London the extra weight had cost me $300, which Aeroflot lost on my return thanks to the Uzbek business culture. Corruption has two sides, it can be very disruptive and also very convenient, but on the whole, I can do without it in future.

Uzbekistan Airways - by Davron Mirsagatov

2 July 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

TAS-FRA surprisingly was on time. Old A-310 was put for this flight with old seats and poor entertainment. Entertainment always a lack of Uzbekistan Service. Crew was ok, they were friendly enough but nothing extraordinary. For money they charge Uzbekistan Airways can be bit more concerned about their services.

Uzbekistan Airways - by Dave Stanley

30 April 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

London to Tashkent and back. Once again, the inflight experience was OK. Flights were on time both ways, despite the usual Heathrow problems. The aircraft interiors are getting a little scruffy, especially the seats. They have upgraded the IFE to a DVD system. According to their magazine, they have ordered 2 Dreamliners and 6 A320's so things could improve after a couple of years.

Uzbekistan Airways - by N Balsari

24 January 2008  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

Tashkent-Urgench-Tashkent. Staff try to get your money for everything, even if most of them knows me personally after 5 years of same destination - extra baggage, better seat, etc. When you want to reserve a seat, mostly you'll get a negative answer first. They will tell you that flight is full. What they do is reserve some seats for artificial names. That way, the flight seems full when you attempt a reservation. If you pay an under-the-counter fee, she will change the name on the reservation on your name, and you got your seat. Same during check-in : they will ask you to put your hand bag/computer/whatever, on to the scale. If you are somehow +20, they will start to make faces, and convince you that it will be too expensive if you pay official fee. They will ask you to pay half of the money that you'll pay officially directly to check in staff. I don't do that now, as the official fee is also is not that much. I simply ask them to write the extra weight, which I check each time, and go to pay to the counter. The officer in the counter is also surprised, as this is not very common. If you'll ask for a specific seat, they will make you understand that it is available against a small tip (2-3 USD). Don't, as usually, no one sits in accordance with the assigned seats, and it is almost impossible to convince the person who have sit to your place to move. In the past, you might also tip (20-50 USD) in the cabin and ask for a Business Class seat, but I do not know if this is still possible.

Uzbekistan Airways - by L Kenley

18 September 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

I have flown Uzbek air extensively, including international, regional, and domestic flights. They are not a great airline by world standards but are great by regional standards. That said, if you want to fly to Uzbekistan or fly within Uzbekistan you probably won’t have much of a choice but to fly Uzbek Air. If Uzbekistan is not a destination then they are probably overpriced for the service and I would use another carrier unless your schedule requires a transit though Tashkent. For international I would give them a 3 star overall and a 2 star for domestic flights.

Uzbekistan Airways - by George Vrontos

11 September 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 3 Star Rating

ATH-TAS return. Both flights on time. The personnel were friendly enough and eager to help you. The food was good, only food presentation and trays were standard. There were two servings of drinks on each flight. The only complaint - inflight entertainment system was outdated (overhead screens with two outdated movies and some channels with music). The planes were old but clean. Overall a good experience with no troubles.

Uzbekistan Airways - by Dave Stanley

23 August 2007  Customer Trip Rating : 2 Star Rating

LHR-TAS. My experience with this airline has been OK. They seem to keep to the flight times reasonably well, at least out of Tashkent. There are some problems with the cabin crew - using mobile phones during take off being one example. A real issue I have with them is the chaotic check in at LHR. The last two times at LHR, the queue has filled one end of terminal 2 and takes 2-3 hours to get through. The flight is typically delayed by an hour because of this.

1 2