United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by C Landrehth    (USA)

I recently flew First Class on United # 15 from Newark to Honolulu. This is a 10+ hour non stop flight. The plane leaves at 9:20 am in the morning. The 767-400 was recently updated with the new sleeper seats. The plane was clean and very comfortable. The entertainment system was excellent. The crew were efficient and nice. The really surprising disappointment was the food. A breakfast was served shortly after take-off, but after that, there was nothing except some doughy concoction that was served an hour before landing. The paucity of food and food service was stunning. Most other airlines serve Mai Tais on flights to Hawaii, but not on United. I might as well have been on a flight to Cleveland. My advice to people traveling on United is to bring your own food, even in First Class!

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by R Jones    (USA)

Flew SFO to PEK on 29th March in First and we had an exceptional crew. I'm not normally one to post positive reviews about United, but they deserve this one. We found all flight attendants to be friendly, eager to assist, and they tried their best to meet all requests. The food was tasty, and served at the appropriate temperature. It's still not exactly an elegant service, but it's good.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by M Schultz    (USA)

I was a loyal and frequent Continental flyer for a number of years. All airlines have problems and cause the passengers problems. Continental was not an exception. However, I was generally pleased with the aircraft (the newest of fleets) and with service. I recall having been delayed at AUS on a trip to LHR via IAH with my wife. We arrived at IAH with only 3 minutes to spare. We were met with a cart, and our passports were checked and tickets issued as we sped along. All that ended with the UAL merger. I got caught in FRA with the merger mess on "the" day, and since then it has been a series of canceled and long delayed flights with missed connections and very old and ragged aircraft. Most recently I tried to fly AUS to LAX on a CRJ in First. The attendant grabbed my suit coat and started stuffing it in an overhead bin. I objected as I was to go straight into a meeting. Seems the closet had been removed for an additional rows of seats. We were delayed for de-icing, then for a malfunctioning APU. Finally, at the 2+ hour point, we returned to the gate, and I deplaned, making an AA flight in time. I suspect this is my last UAL attempt. Too unreliable.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Michael Jambrek    (USA)

Second time in 25 days connection return flight layover +3 hours plus delayed takeoff by 3 hours out of O'Hare. This time there wasn't even any weather issues. Also both trips had cancellations and overbooking. Why bother paying for poor service when I can actually drive home faster.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by S Burgquist    (USA)

I just returned from a flight from Chicago (ORD) to Tampa (TPA) for spring break. I made a reservation that was non-stop both to Florida and returning home. I'm handicapped and was traveling with my 7 yr. old grandson. The flight to Florida was fine, leaving and arriving on time. The flight home was a different story, my flight home was cancelled during the night and I was booked on a flight that left 40 min. earlier with a layover in NJ. for 2 hr. then another plane which we had to sit on for 30 min and leaving late. I called and explained why I needed a non stop flight, I was told the only non stop plane wasn't leaving until 3 days later. This meant instead of a less the 3 hr flight it was a 7.5 hrs. I was unable to get any help from management, customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by R Fowler    (UK)

I flew from Heathrow to Charleston (SC) via Washington Dulles, for vacation in late March. I flew UA123, which was a B757-200. This was an old plane but it had great AVOD and leg space and the staff were friendly. The flight was also early and very empty which is always a plus. The connections were typical subsidiary small airline service; nothing special, nothing bad and on time. On my return from Washington our B777-2000 was delayed due to a fuel problem, however the entertainment system was left on so we could finish our film. After a 45min delay, the plane left and made up the time coming back across the Atlantic. This plane was half-empty and had been recently refurbished with a great AVOD system and spacious seating. Cabin crew were very helpful. I would definitely recommend United on the Heathrow - Washington route.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Shirley-Grant Roma    (USA)

London Heathrow to Newark to connect to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My trip to Newark was uneventful. It was after landing in Newark that everything went wrong. Starting with the long immigration lines that wound around and around. My connection was scheduled to depart at 1.17pm and I was still at immigration at 1.10 even after enquiring about help from a United representative who was standing talking to a fellow colleague. She told me to join the line and when I ask what happened if I missed my connection she just tersely answered they will rebook you and walked away. At baggage claim there was no sign of my bag, I was told to catch the flight and look for my bag in Fort Lauderdale. I finally got seated without a welcome or assistance from the two attendants standing at the door. We sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours. In the meantime however, the empty seats started filling up little by little and I began to wonder if they were not just awaiting a fill to capacity flight. Not offered anything to eat. They gave us tea, coffee or water and that was it. Needless to say that when I go to Fort Lauderdale my checked baggage was not there and was told it had been left in Newark and would be arriving on the 11pm flight. As I am writing this my baggage has still not been delivered.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Liam O'Brien    (Singapore)

Narita, Tokyo to Singapore Changi on March 28th. IFE did not work (and even if it did I would be stuck with, according to what was in in-flight mag, an old and poor quality selection), food awful and had to pay for wine on a transcontinental flight (a first for me). Whole flight experience a bit of a revelation for me as I am used to flying Asian and European carriers. It was a bit like flying a short-hop domestic flight in UK - nothing much really to keep you happy while you are stuck in your seat. Maybe UA treat international flights like their domestic US ones. Even the announcements were the worst I have come across. Purser who did not seem to be able to speak English and a captain who had obviously not been sent on any course about speaking to the public (lacklustre, disjointed and very rare). Won't be booking anything with UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Luisa Marques    (USA)

Feb 2 from Newark to Punta Cana, flight UA 1520, returned Feb 9, flight UA 1518. Traveled from Newark on March 21, flight UA 423 to Fort Myers. Returned on March 24, flight 1587. What a disappointment! It started at check-in at Newark airport, they expect you to do everything and if you ask for help, they make it seem they are doing you a huge favor. The seats are super tight, have to pay for luggage, food, TV, I'm surprised they don't charge to let you use the bathrooms! They make you feel like you are getting on a bus.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-SFO-SEA-LAX in United First. Outbound legs to Seattle were great. Service was warm and personalized, even if only snack basket and drinks were offered on these short runs. Where United really shined was on the return flight. Original SEA-LAX flight was canceled due to mechanical on inbound aircraft. I received a text message with this update and before I could even get to the agent, UA had me rebooked on another carrier getting in just 30 minutes after my original UA routing. When I got up to the agent, she had my ticket ready and waiting for me. I fly United almost every week and seldom have cancellations or major delays. Regardless, the way they handled this one was flawless and I couldn't have asked for better service all-around.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by B Parker    (New Zealand)

4 Sectors with United, YVR-ORD, ORD-BOS, BOS IAH, IAH-YVR. Very poor customer service, on the ground and in the air. Greeted at the aircraft door by the usual icy scowl. A "good morning" from me totally ignored on all sectors. Officious cabin crew. A request for two drinks met by a terse response of, "We do more than one drink service, this is United!" Hugely oversized carry on bags allowed in the cabin. As a result the last few passengers to board are separated from their carry-ons and ordered to relinquish them, even if they are of legal size. Purchased a roast beef sandwich on the 4.5 hour BOS-IAH leg, it was tiny, soggy, and disgusting. On the 5 hour IAH-YVR sector, departing at 2100, no hot items for purchase, just snack boxes with cheese and crackers. I don't believe that United is any different to any other US airline these days. I can tolerate the ancillary charges, the cramped seating, the lack of food, I understand that's what most of the budget conscience travelers demand these days. But simple manners, courtesy, and mutual respect cost nothing to provide, and sadly they seem to be the most difficult qualities to find in any US airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by T Jayson    (USA)

If there is any alternative to flying United, take it. The staff do their best, but everything about the interface is far from traveler-friendly. First of all, the food - and this is in first class - can only be somebody's idea of comedy. Murky, chalky flavors and strange un-natural textures characterized every dish I was given. Also, on one recent Newark - Los Angeles flight there was were no screens in the plane - no movies, no TV. No wireless available and no plugs.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Lindsay Dolan    (USA)

Denver to Midland scheduled departure time was supposed to be 2.15pm. The flight was delayed 3 times and all while the plane was sitting at the boarding gate. The airline employee spike very broken English. Said that anyone traveling with children needed to be checked due to weight restrictions. She then said that 6 people needed to give up their seats for luggage of other travelers or she would not let the last people that checked in on the flight. No one volunteered so she picked 6 people, 2 of which were military personnel. Once on the plane, people were told to move seats to even out weight since. We will never fly with this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Ron Staszak    (USA)

The worst experience I have encountered when flying. Total disregard to their customers and employees. The poor people at the gate were just beat up to no end and it was not their fault. Flew out of Aspen, Colorado which only has 6 gates and 2-3 planes to manage and they could not even accomplish this simple management. United changed my flight without even giving me the courtesy of an e-mail or phone call to check to see if this arrangement was ok. It wasn't even a change in a flight on the same day, but they changed the day I was flying out, changed from one layover to two layovers, changed the total flight time and did not even offer an apology for this inconvenience. In the future the only way I will ever fly United again is if there was no other airline going to this location. A horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Anshul Sharma    (USA)

I am on a flight to LAX from SFO, already delayed by 45 mins waiting for flight crew to arrive. This had already given me a pretty good idea of customer service the flight's staff has to offer, but that got solidified when I asked for 2 cups of water from one flight attendant and she told me - 'why don't you finish one first?'. She eventually got me another cup.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by A Miller    (USA)

First international flight from MCO to HKG was great. Very smooth. Crew very helpful. Being on a 15+ hr flight, hydration is important. All I had to do was take my water bottle to the back and the crew happily refilled it for me multiple times. They even came around with trays of cups with water every so often. Second flight back (HKG to MCO) was a disaster. First flight from HKG to Newark was delayed 2 hours. Not a big deal, we still had time to make our connecting flight. However, the plane was further delayed by another 1.5 hrs after we were already on it. The crew were extremely rude. After 6 hours of no water, my husband asked if we could refill my water bottle, same as the first flight, but this time they looked at him like he was crazy and said they were about to bring the drink cart around so to just wait for that. By the time we finally touched down in Newark, we missed our connecting flight, so had to be put on one 4 hours later. Again, that flight from Newark to MCO was delayed. Instead of leaving at 9pm as scheduled, we took off from the runway at 11pm, after waiting 2 hours on the plane. One of the bathrooms was not functioning properly. They made an announcement that they weren't going to fix the bathroom, but had to fill out paperwork anyway so we'd be off the ground as soon as paperwork was finished. Next thing we know, a guy is coming down the aisle, and starts fixing the bathroom. Then we had to wait for him to fix it before we took off. In the meantime, they let 5 more people on the flight, so they had to play the safety video a second time before we could take off. Thankfully, we had no problem getting our luggage. The movie selection available was also decent. Food was okay for the first two meals and the third was disgusting.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by J Ryu    (Canada)

UA 861 from Washington to Rio de Janeiro scheduled to depart at 9.30pm. The flight was delayed first and then after making me wait for 5 hours, the flight was finally cancelled due to mechanical problems at 3am. I got re- booked on the flight for the next day at the same time, was given a night at hotel and $14 voucher for the meal for the whole day. The next day, I found out that my connection to Sao Paulo to Rio no longer existed, so was booked on a later flight with a regional airline. Basically what should've taken me 14 hours, took me 48 hours. Furthermore, my luggage arrived 2 days afterwards, after several phone calls and different answers from United agents. The food served on the plane was inedible. Worst air travel experience. The seat was so crammed for a 9+ hour flight, I had to buy premium economy on my way back so that my knees won't hurt.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by N Khan    (USA)

Absolutely the worst flight. Both trips were delayed for aircraft mechanical issues. 3 hrs on the way there, 4 hrs on the way back. I've never really liked United but we still fly because we were avid Continental flyers for years. I will make it a personal goal to avoid United as an airline for any future flights I have. The price was ridiculous and the service and crew were mediocre at best. I thought United had newer aircraft fleet. Then why are two flights delayed because of mechanical issues? I would never recommend flying United.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Karen DeShong    (USA)

Milwaukee to Los Angeles, March 16 2014, returned March 19 2014. Flight 5165. Flight 1273 missed this flight due to the above one being late, next flight UA729. Return flight 1498 delayed and missed connecting flight 5438 rebooked to flight UA5425. Late flights and rude service. My flight leaving was late and missed connecting flight. On the return home my flight leaving and connecting flights were late. Flight attendant stands in aisle talking while we try to get off plane to make connecting flights. Captain had asked everyone to be seated unless you have a connecting flight.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax