United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  9 January 2014 by M Lacroix    (Costa Rica)

Flew from San Jose CR to London ON. Dec 20th. Flight to Houston was ok. Flight to Chicago O'Hare was delayed due to engine trouble. By the time I made it O'Hare airport I was told my flight to London had been cancelled and I needed to go to customer services. I waited in that line for 4 hrs. Told they could fly me to London on Sunday, 2 days away from then. A manager told me she could fly me into Toronto the next morning but I would need to find my own way from there. She also informed me that I will be getting a reimbursement for my travel from Toronto to London. To make me feel better they gave me a hotel and food vouchers (this was around 1am and my flight was at 7am). I was also informed my bags would take about 2-3 hrs to get or and I could leave them there and they will send them to Toronto. Well the next day everything went normally. Except my luggage never made it out of Chicago. That took another 3 days to show up.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by J Sancho    (USA)

SJO-ORD - Flight cancelled. Flew SJO-IAD-ORD. Worst customer service. Tried to contact local number for 1.5 hrs with no answer. Service is bad, food is very marginal, flight attendants and personnel at counter were rude.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Patricia Gill    (Canada)

December 31, 2013, flew from Tampa to Saskatoon, SK. Flight from Tampa to Chicago was good. Problems started in Chicago. First plane had problems with power outage, broken air conditioning system, trouble restarting engines after they had been shut down and a long wait for de-icing. Finally we were allowed off the plane after sitting for over two hours. Next plane scheduled for us had a flat tyre and frozen toilet. Third plane had a frozen toilet which seemed to be fixed by a bevy of maintenance men carrying buckets of hot water. Very little information received from airline staff. Received $7 food voucher that we could only use at a Starbucks as everything else in the airport was closed. Customer service reps would rebook flights but would not issue hotel vouchers because our flight had not be cancelled. We finally got off the ground 7 hours late. Not a nice way to end a holiday.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by A Smith    (USA)

I was scheduled to fly out of Dulles Airport on Jan 6 2014. I showed up to the airport to check in and found out that my flight to El Salvador was cancelled. No one had taken the time to notify me of the cancellation. Everyone I asked was rude and bothered by my questions. I waited in line for 3.5 hours to reschedule my flight two days later. The entire experience was horrible. All other flights at Dulles were able to take off except for United. I didn't expect the same bad service from them again, but unfortunately nothing has changed.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by T Beach    (USA)

MSN-DVE-SMF. Horrible experience. The flight delays I can live with, its winter. However, what I don't understand was why no beverage service, the attendant said there wasn't time to refresh the stock. Then in Denver we're delayed again, ok, its snowing, I get it. The gate attendant was friendly and said we would be on the plane in an hour, which we were. But what he didn't say was we would sit on the ramp waiting for the crew for 2 hours. Why board the passengers without the crew present? And the cabin was blazing hot, it must have been 85f in there, why? The last few inches the airlines have squeezed out has really made a difference for me. The gate attendant told use to hold our coats in our lap so the carry on luggage would fit, well that's fine, but we paid $50 to check our bags so we wouldn't have to sit with bags and coats in our lap in a much to cramped space.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by R Fusco    (USA)

I was scheduled on a direct flight from Pittsburgh to Denver, 1/5/14 at 7.20am. The check in line was crazy, it was a busy travel day but they must have been understaffed because no other major airlines had lines like that. After waiting in line for 1 hour and 15 minutes I made my way through security and to the gate. There was no bad weather here or there so I was feeling confident. 5 minutes before boarding the sign at the gate changed from "On time" to 'Cancelled'. We were not given any information but told to call the 800 number. I waited in line for 3 hours at the desk only to be told the soonest they could get me to Denver was 10pm the following evening. Since I was travelling for work and could not arrive two days late, I went down to collect my bags, which took 45 minutes to arrive, and a worker down there said the flights were cancelled because the crew were over their hours. That seems like a problem that should have been anticipated. It was my worst travel experience ever.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by C Adrian    (USA)

The east coast storm pandemonium caused many flight cancellations, including mine, but phone agent was easily able to rebook me on the next available flight out of the New York area without too much trouble. Check in on the other hand wasn't as seamless with wait times being long even whilst using premier access, understandable though due to airport congestion from weather delays. Flew on UA's newest 737-900 aircraft from Newark to SFO - the dimmed mood lights offered a soothing atmosphere albeit the squished seat. Shockingly, service was actually existent on this flight by cabin crew with frequent drink runs and cheerful interactions, which is a rare for me on this airline. Food however was an issue with the meals for sale having run out by the first few rows, leaving many passengers to be starved on a 6.5 hour flight. A pre order option should at least be available if they're going to charge passengers for food on such a long flight. The friendly and inviting service continued on my second leg from SFO to Orange County, bringing me to rethink my position on United.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Ian Mitchell    (Australia)

Try sitting through a 17 hour flight from Sydney to San Francisco with only a Jane Austin movie and similar rubbish as your main entertainment on the front screen. I took the precaution of checking the United website prior to booking with them for the first and last time. I was very concerned that spending the better part of an entire day on a plane required individual entertainment units to stop prison-like boredom. The website stated that all United Airlines planes from Sydney to the USA are 747-500 and all are fitted with individual entertainment units. There was no proviso that this "luxury" did not extend beyond business class into Premium economy where I was seated. My plane left Sydney over 3 hours late causing me to miss my connecting flight to New York, I had to wait more than 8 hours at the airport. The situation only got worse on my return flight. The official reason stated by the captain for the more-than 4 hour delayed departure was that flight crew had to arrive at Newark from Oakland, CA. The reason given by United in the boarding lounge to their customers was that there would be a short delay while they waited for catering and fuelling. Had the airline any integrity and any concern for their passengers (especially those with international connecting flights) they would have announced at the scheduled boarding time that there would be a delay of approximately 4-5 hours. This may just have given me time to organise another flight to LAX which would have connected to my flight to Australia. The message is simple: if you need reliability, fly another airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Beatriz Gonzalez Badillo    (USA)

I booked a flight for my son, from MIA to Toronto, (MIA to IAD: UA511) and (IAD to YYZ: UA6146). Flight 511 departed 2 hours late. At Washington Dulles he found the flight 6146 was cancelled. Told he'd be in a waiting list for a later flight (UA6126) which was also cancelled. No explanation and no respect for passengers. If today flights have been cancelled, I am not sure tomorrow flights will be departing with the weather getting worse, so what happens with the people that have their plans, classes that will restart on Monday as in the case of my son. In my entire life I never felt so angry and frustrated with an airline and never faced a situation like this.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by Rob Shank    (Japan)

NRT-SFO-NRT. Has to be the worst airline I have flown! All flights were late, food inedible, crew extremely rude and unhelpful. Toilet had a pool of urine on the floor and trays were snatched from passengers.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 January 2014 by A Duncan    (New Zealand)

Unhelpful and rude staff who didn't communicate what was happening. Due to a 4.5 hour delay for flight leaving New York, I missed my connecting flight and asked them to rebook only to be told the next flight in 24 hours was full. They wouldn't pay for a nights accommodation and the only option they gave me was a 15 hour flight, 11 hour wait at another airport, then taking the final leg home (to NZ). They also lost my luggage and tried denying any responsibility. Will never fly this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by S Rajan    (Japan)

Newark-Tokyo via Frankfurt. Check-in was absolutely absurd. Since I had an International flight with 2 different carriers, United and All Nippon Airways, and not a US Citizen, the self check-in kiosk was not letting me check- in. I was calling the United ground staff for 10 minutes and was finally approached by one of them - I wouldn't blame them actually, the counters were obviously short staffed. When they weighed my bags, they told me I had to remove half a pound! In addition, the flight was delayed 4 hours. Fortunately, while we were waiting, we were given food vouchers and other amenities. United finally opened a counter for passengers with connecting flights and they were trying the find other flights going to Tokyo from Frankfurt at a later time than the scheduled one. United made an announcement that the flight was cancelled. Finally from then onwards, United handled the situation very well. They opened several service counters for airline representatives to rebook passengers flights. They quickly rebooked me on a direct, non-stop flight to Tokyo the following morning and provided me and all other passengers with hotel rooms and an additional food vouchers worth US$40. A week later, they even compensated for the trouble caused.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by D Neu    (Canada)

Checked in for a flight to Tokyo 2 hours early and was told by United staff that I "needed to run" to my flight to make it on time. I cleared security and ran for 15 minutes with a backpack on through Bangkok's massive Suvarnabhumi airport. After arriving at the gate I was forced to go through several more rounds of security before boarding and waiting 2 hours for them to fix a problem. After that we waited an additional 50 minutes because of miscommunication between the pilot and air traffic control. Landed in Tokyo late and had to run to my connecting flight to make it on time. Tokyo flight was again delayed getting off the ground by almost an hour. Arrived late in Hawaii and had to run to my connecting flight to make it on board with minutes to spare. FAs were friendly and nice, but staff involved in boarding are overly authoritative and rude. My flight to Thailand with United was also stressful, full of delays and clumsy. They also regularly cancel fights with no notice.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 January 2014 by Sean Ploysa    (USA)

Worst travel experience ever. LHR-IAD-CLE, 3 Jan 2014. I understand flights were cancelled due to weather but that's no excuse for the horrible United customer service on the phone, at the gate, on the aircraft and at the customer service counter. Everyone we talked to gave us a different answer which eventually lead to an additional 13 hours of travel. American or Delta will get my domestic and International business from here forward.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax